Forum Settings
Forums

Volleyball Manga 'Haikyuu!!' to Get TV Anime Adaptation Due Spring 2014

New
Sep 22, 2013 12:32 PM

Sep 2012
According to the promotional posters sent to bookstores for the upcoming volume 8 of the manga, volleyball manga "Haikyuu!!" will get a TV anime adaptation scheduled in spring 2014. Haikyuu!! was written by Furudate Haruichi and started serialization in Shounen Jump in late 2012. So far, seven volumes have been published and volume 8 will be released on October 4th. Staff and cast information has not been disclosed yet; however, the cast for the vomic (voiced comic) made in November 2012 was as follows:

Hinata Shouyou: Kenn
Kageyama Tobio: Maeno Tomoaki
Sawamura Daichi: Yanagita Junichi
Tanaka Ryuunosuke: Motohashi Daisuke
Shimizu Kiyoko: Uchida Maaya

Official manga website: http://www.j-haikyu.com/

Source: Promotional Poster for Bookstores via Yaraon 1, 2

Haikyuu!! on MAL
myanimelistllcFeb 14, 2016 12:59 AM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 22, 2013 12:33 PM

Aug 2012
OOH. A volleyball anime. Looking forward to this.
Sep 22, 2013 12:37 PM

Sep 2012
Rumor has it that it would be a NHK (the public broadcast of Japan) which seems rather fitting in my opinion, but it is only a rumor so far.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Sep 22, 2013 12:37 PM

Feb 2013
Found out this manga a few days ago and thought to myself: "this would be a rather pleasant anime to watch". Talk about nice coincidences.
"The more you hope for, the more disappointed you get afterwards." - Miguel Lopes

[Profile] [Anime List] [Manga List] [Ecchi/Harem Club] [+20 Club]
Sep 22, 2013 12:38 PM

Jul 2012
Seems interesting. Looking forward to it!
Sep 22, 2013 12:38 PM

Dec 2010
Yeah, I'm so happy! I was waiting for this!
Kuroko No Basket is going to end soon, WSJ needs to pump up its new promising sports manga...
I can't wait *w*
(I hope they'll keep the same seiyuu of the Vomic for Shouyou and Tobio...they were perfect!)
Sep 22, 2013 12:41 PM

Sep 2012
GZTC said:
Another sports anime targeted at the fujoshi crowd.
So you are sure that High Kyuu has more female readers than male like Kuroko? Or perhaps it could be like Slam Dunk where there were more male readers than female?
symbvSep 22, 2013 12:45 PM

Sep 22, 2013 12:41 PM

Feb 2013
Cool. It's been o my PTR for a while now... but maybe I'll just watch the anime.
Sep 22, 2013 12:43 PM
Aug 2011
We all saw this coming, about time too seeing the sales.
Exciting news all around.

GZTC said:

Sit down.
Sep 22, 2013 12:46 PM

Aug 2012
I wonder where the idea that every sports anime = fujoshi fanservice came from.
Sep 22, 2013 12:47 PM
Aug 2011
Hidden_Joker said:

from the lack of brain cells
Sep 22, 2013 12:48 PM

Nov 2008
Doesn't seem like there's anything for fujoshi to squeal at, I'll watch this.

Sep 22, 2013 12:51 PM
Aug 2013
Thought it will be women playing volleyball, but the cove ehh no thanks. Cool idea though.
Sep 22, 2013 12:52 PM
Oct 2009
Haha fujoshi shouldn't be underestimated! They (we) can squeal at pretty much anything P:
But indeed, it doesn't seem to be geared towards girls at all.
Might check it out, for the unrelated reason that I kinda like volleyball~

And I was also expecting this to be cute girls playing cute volleyball, with a cute title like that~ I almost didn't click it.
Sep 22, 2013 12:58 PM

Oct 2012
haven't watched a volleyball anime before so this might be interesting o.o

Sep 22, 2013 12:59 PM
eyebrows nerd ★

Jun 2009
HOLY. MOTHER. FUCKERS.

I knew this day will come. I'm speechless and pumped up for it ヽ(;▽;)ノ

PLEASE GOD DON'T CHANGE THE CAST!
Sep 22, 2013 1:00 PM

Feb 2010
More sports anime is always fantastic news, especially since it's volleyball and not baseball/football/basketball which seem to be the most common ones these days. Looking forward tot his very much.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 22, 2013 1:02 PM

Jan 2013
I like the manga, so I'm looking forward to this.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 22, 2013 1:02 PM

Jul 2008
Sounds like a super standard sports anime story, but volleyball hasn't really been done before as far as I know.
Sep 22, 2013 1:09 PM

Feb 2010
2-D said:
Sounds like a super standard sports anime story, but volleyball hasn't really been done before as far as I know.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/1550/Attack_No.1

Epic childhood times, still know the german OP lyrics for this.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 22, 2013 1:13 PM

Jan 2011
symbv said:

Hinata Shouyou: KENN

KENN is getting a a lot of MC roles lately, he is also voicing the MC of Kyoukai no kanata and Bushi Road.
symbv said:
Kiyoko: Uchida Maaya

Oh yes.
[center]
Sep 22, 2013 1:14 PM

Jul 2009
Just let me die here *ASDFGHJHFJFJDSADASF*
Probably will air in April ,can't wait for it X33
Sep 22, 2013 1:25 PM

Jun 2013
I love volleyball, so I hope it's gonna be a good piece of sports anime. I'll compare it to the 2013 Men's European Volleyball Championship. XD
Sep 22, 2013 1:35 PM
Oct 2011
symbv said:
GZTC said:
So you are sure that High Kyuu has more female readers than male like Kuroko? Or perhaps it could be like Slam Dunk where there were more male readers than female?
Thing is, HQ!! does have the most female to male readers percentage in Jump, even more than Kuroko and Gintama, according to a recent survey:
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/4/47703/2753606-shonenjump_boygirl.jpg

OT:
Meh
Candor123Sep 22, 2013 1:38 PM
Sep 22, 2013 1:42 PM
Oct 2011
Kella said:
Kuroko No Basket is going to end soon, WSJ needs to pump up its new promising sports manga...
I can't wait *w*
(I hope they'll keep the same seiyuu of the Vomic for Shouyou and Tobio...they were perfect!)
I wonder how long the anime will keep HQ!! on its feet after dropping to the very bottom of the rankings in the last couple of weeks. Personally I doubt it'll reach what Kuroko reached.
Sep 22, 2013 1:46 PM

May 2008
YES!!!
I've been waiting for this news!!!! :D
Sep 22, 2013 1:49 PM

Jan 2013
Amazing how every manga i think about get its anime adaption, cant wait XD
Sep 22, 2013 2:04 PM

Dec 2010
Candior said:
Kella said:
I can't wait *w*
I wonder how long the anime will keep HQ!! on its feet after dropping to the very bottom of the rankings in the last couple of weeks. Personally I doubt it'll reach what Kuroko reached.

Lol, do you know how was Kuroko doing before getting the anime? Bottom 5 every.single.week. And that situation kept going for a really long time. It's true that an anime adaptation is not enough to keep a manga on the top (just look at Beelzebub now...), but with Kuroko going to end soon they need a sports manga on the magazine.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-04-18/fuji-tv-producer/volleyball-manga-gets-anime
As you can see, they didn't decide this yesterday. And at that time Haikyuu was doing very well on rankings...
Sep 22, 2013 2:14 PM
Aug 2011
GZTC said:
Sports anime are the current fujoshi trend just like idorus are the current otaku obsession.

Okay if a sport anime that follows an art style like Slam Dunk or REAL were to be announced would you call it "fujoshi targeted" as well?

My guess is probably no.

But here we are with young boys and Shounen Jump instead of Inoue Takehiko's works and seinen tags and these kinds of replies come rushing out.
Sep 22, 2013 2:25 PM

Jun 2008
I'm not very fond of the manga... If there were different seiyuu, maybe (ever since I have heard of the vomic I've been more disappointed in this)... But if there's an anime adaption, the drawings should be corrected at times which would make it easier to try to enjoy it...
Sep 22, 2013 2:27 PM

Mar 2011
Will be nice to watch some sport anime that isn't just about soccer, basketball, baseball or tennis. Even if it's a normal shonen.

Edit:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
More sports anime is always fantastic news, especially since it's volleyball and not baseball/football/basketball which seem to be the most common ones these days. Looking forward tot his very much.
I hadn't read this before, but I wrote almost the same thing. lol
FrezlajSep 22, 2013 2:49 PM
Sep 22, 2013 2:31 PM

Dec 2010
parfaited said:
GZTC said:
Sports anime are the current fujoshi trend just like idorus are the current otaku obsession.

Okay if a sport anime that follows an art style like Slam Dunk or REAL were to be announced would you call it "fujoshi targeted" as well?

My guess is probably no.

But here we are with young boys and Shounen Jump instead of Inoue Takehiko's works and seinen tags and these kinds of replies come rushing out.

Well, more seinen sports anime would be nice, but looks like they must not necessarily be seinen to not be labeled as "fujoshit". Area No Kishi got away from this thing pretty well, and even Diamond No Ace or Yowamushi Pedal (the most recent examples that come to my mind) didn't get "fujoshi labeled" even before they get aired. I don't know, probably it's just as you say... just because it's Shounen Jump? Lol.
(Wut, I'm terribly going off topic here)
AnnySep 22, 2013 2:42 PM
Sep 22, 2013 2:31 PM
Oct 2011
Kella said:
Candior said:
Kella said:
I can't wait *w*

Lol, do you know how was Kuroko doing before getting the anime? Bottom 5 every.single.week. And that situation kept going for a really long time. It's true that an anime adaptation is not enough to keep a manga on the top (just look at Beelzebub now...), but with Kuroko going to end soon they need a sports manga on the magazine.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-04-18/fuji-tv-producer/volleyball-manga-gets-anime
As you can see, they didn't decide this yesterday. And at that time Haikyuu was doing very well on rankings...
I do know about both, and the timing was to make people get more interested in the series more (Yeah, I know how Jump works). But I just can't see HQ getting as popular as Kuroko. HQ!! seems more childish than Kuroko with its characters and their designs. The premise is meh as well, and as I showed in the survey above, the series will depend heavily on its fujoshi/female-readers support for it to survive, and unless it has god-tier animation like Free!, I doubt it'll reach what Kuroko or Free reached. But well, who knows.
Candor123Sep 22, 2013 2:37 PM
Sep 22, 2013 2:33 PM

Oct 2011
Ah I love Haikyuu!! so excited!
Sep 22, 2013 2:37 PM

May 2011
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
More sports anime is always fantastic news, especially since it's volleyball and not baseball/football/basketball which seem to be the most common ones these days.

My thoughts exactly. Volleyball being the sport at hand makes it seem pretty interesting. Hopefully it delivers.
Sep 22, 2013 2:43 PM

Jun 2008
parfaited said:
Hidden_Joker said:

LOL

I once found this referenced in an article (http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNASFK31007_R31C12A0000000/?dg=1) from November 2012, which isn't exactly recently.
Sep 22, 2013 2:43 PM

Jan 2011
I knew it xD the next new awesome sports anime!
Sep 22, 2013 2:50 PM
Oct 2011
Face_Faith said:
parfaited said:
Hidden_Joker said:

LOL

I once found this referenced in an article (http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNASFK31007_R31C12A0000000/?dg=1) from November 2012, which isn't exactly recently.
It still showed that HQ survived its first 4-5 months, the material for a 1-cour anime series, thanks to its female readers. Jump tried to make HQ appealing for males, as they tried making Nisekoi for girls by a crossover, but as a male reader myself, Nisekyuu!! barely raised my interest in HQ, so I doubt that percentage is that different.
Sep 22, 2013 2:54 PM

Feb 2013
Yes! I love this manga. Production IG too? I'm really excited for this.
Sep 22, 2013 2:56 PM

Dec 2010
Awesome, it was about time this gotten an anime adaption.
Will watch(:
Sep 22, 2013 2:58 PM

Aug 2008
OMG I'M SO FKIN HAPPY! I'M TREMBLING! :')
This is my favorite (sport) Manga ever! Amazing news! best news of the year!
With production I.G.! It's even better!

Am I the only one who thought that KENN sounded to old to be Hinata in the vomic?
KuriniSep 22, 2013 3:18 PM
Sep 22, 2013 2:59 PM

Nov 2011
I was thinking of reading the manga sometimes this year but now that it's getting an anime adaptation, I might even do it sooner than later.
Sep 22, 2013 3:21 PM

Apr 2013
KENN voice is really fitting as Hinata
It will be fun to see Kageyama and Hinata interaction animated
Really looking forward to this
Sep 22, 2013 3:41 PM

Jun 2008
Candior said:
It still showed that HQ survived its first 4-5 months, the material for a 1-cour anime series, thanks to its female readers. Jump tried to make HQ appealing for males, as they tried making Nisekoi for girls by a crossover, but as a male reader myself, Nisekyuu!! barely raised my interest in HQ, so I doubt that percentage is that different.

That's true again, but I thought it was worth pointing out since the readership has most likely changed. (Or to be more exact, those were results which took into consideration the people who bought WSJ! and what series they read; they probably disregarded people who share the magazine etc.)

In the first place, the actual readership and the targetted readership isn't necessarily the same. WSJ! in itself should be a good enough example for this. I don't remember anything in the manga that was intentionally done for female readers (it's been sometime since I last read it, though), but I'm aware of the amount of HQ!! fanarts for and by fujoshi which may indicate a high number of female readers but then again, it often doesn't take much for the mangaka to have them create tons of fanarts...
Sep 22, 2013 4:05 PM

Sep 2007
Great news, I like the manga!
And it's by Production I.G. <3
Nisekoi and Haikyuu... only Shokugeki no Souma left for me!
Sep 22, 2013 4:17 PM

May 2010
Yay, volleyball is actualy one of not many sports I enjoy, will gladly watch it. It even has some bishies, totally in :D
Sep 22, 2013 4:35 PM

May 2009
Saw this one coming a mile away. :D There seems to be a renewal of interest in sports series, and I have no complaints.
: : Anime : : Manga : :
: : Translation Blog : :
Sep 22, 2013 4:59 PM

Mar 2012
When will anime about badminton be made?
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Sep 22, 2013 5:02 PM

Jul 2010
YES!

Guess I can stop commenting on how HQ needed an anime every manga sales thread.

Oh man, Noya and Tanaka here I come.

http://i.imgur.com/swCpn6M.png
StreetFighterSep 22, 2013 5:09 PM
Sep 22, 2013 5:05 PM

Mar 2009
I think it's a fun anime for fujoshi and sports lovers alike.

To be honest, High Kyuu is an anime with a big fujoshi fanbase and is very popular in female parts of fandom, but what does that even matter? All having a fujoshi fanbase means is that characters generally have some good interactions, and some meaningful relationships. Anyone can enjoy it regardless.

Anyway, as a big fan of the manga I'm excited to see it get an adaptation. Hope it will be good.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Kinema Citrus Announces 'Sayonara Lara', 'Ninja Skooler' Original Anime

DatRandomDude - May 18

16 by ukloim »»
12 minutes ago

» TV Version of 'Dead Dead Demons Dededede Destruction' Anime Movie Announced

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

15 by RobertBobert »»
53 minutes ago

» 'Make Heroine ga Oosugiru!' Reveals Lead Cast, Production Staff, First Promo for Summer 2024

Vindstot - Mar 17

11 by Naruleach »»
10 hours ago

» 'Diamond no Ace: Act II' TV Anime Sequel in Production

Vindstot - May 18

20 by tinker3bellz1 »»
Yesterday, 6:58 AM

» Manga 'Hanazakari no Kimitachi e' Gets Anime

DatRandomDude - May 14

42 by mokkocchi »»
Yesterday, 5:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.