Forum Settings
Forums
The Ghost in the Shell
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jun 8, 2023 6:00 AM

Dec 2022
The atmosphere in this anime is only bolstered by the visual quality. The main characters have far more depth than you'd expect from a short film like this, and the action scenes are dynamic and smooth. The plot has an excess of geopolitical dialogue and mentions of Section 9 and 6 and so on, which gives you much to process in the short length of the film. Maybe some of the sequels will develop those agencies more.

I didn't like that stupid tribal chant that played three seperate times though. Very ear-grating and unfitting of the setting.

Shaded Horizon

Jun 27, 2023 1:56 AM

Dec 2009
Finally watched this classic, and I'm disappointed. It's overrated. 4/10.

Not bad, and clearly a fraction, not a full adaption of the manga apparently, but regardless... standalone, it was very boring.

I don't know how better the manga is, but apparently it's "worse" for being comedic, even though it's a fuller story, but overall dense, while the rest of the interpretations of the other movies is also based on the manga by using its concepts.

So, it seems like all of its iterations is based on a mediocre flawed manga with great ideas and concepts, but is somehow popular in attracting an audience.

Based on this movie,
I never learned what a "ghost" was, but basically, as far as I understood...
The world is mainly "living" of cyborgs, with few humans, and mostly humans who transfered their brains either actual or neurotically to improved cyborgs.

That's cool. Meanwhile there's forces doing potentially illegal things, while a random "ai" cyborg hacker who's taking control of cyborgs and hacking around for knowledge, kinda... but ultimately in the end of the film, it wants to be "real" by dying and creating offspring, by copying his data to the network.

Throughout all of this is Major Makoto, a female cyborg, who's body is built in with camouflage, so she has to get naked to become invisible, sexy, but... fan-service. The character design of the females are big on the eyes, and her hairstyle is odd, so she's not exactly beautiful, but anyway.

For whatever reason, she questions her existence, with somewhat intriguing monologs from a cyborg, wondering about her individuality and what makes her her, even though she has copies of herself.
So the hacker ai likes that about her, and wants to merge with her, so he does.

... and that's pretty much it.
The first event of the story is some illegal event, then it's Makoto and the others chasing a garbage man who's hacking, hacked himself with a false memory. Cool.
To then realizing that this blonde female cyborg similar to Makoto's body gets hacked by the sentient ai hacker.
To which it escapes, and then merges with Makoto...

There's cool intriguing concepts but the events and lack of the rest of the story or any explanation to Makoto's origin or whatever makes this movie disappointing and boring. Overrated.

I love the opening credits song though. That's the best.
Otherwise, maybe the manga is in fact a little better... I'm not sure about the rest since all of them aren't exactly faithful as a full adaption at all and all base from it instead which I'm not a big fan of, since that's technically uncanon and not from the original creator.
Jul 3, 2023 9:21 AM
May 2022
This was a great and excellent high quality movie. Amazing soundtrack. Amazing visuals. Amazing idea 10/10
Aug 6, 2023 6:14 PM

Apr 2016
Clearly the Puppet Master only wanted to save himself, i did not think the Major would be so weak to enable the fusion... Not really a fan of the end.
Sep 3, 2023 10:33 PM
Dec 2022
Ghost in the Shell is body horror and visceral rejection of self that morphs into a fantastic narrative of radical acceptance that really questions the very nature of sentience.
Sep 6, 2023 9:24 AM
Sep 2023
Reply to upsidedownclaude
Ghost in the Shell is body horror and visceral rejection of self that morphs into a fantastic narrative of radical acceptance that really questions the very nature of sentience.
@upsidedownclaude

The most retarded post in this thread is easily this one
Sep 24, 2023 5:00 PM
Sep 2022
supinpasupinpasupinpasupinpasupinpasupinpasupinpasupinpasupinpasupinpasupinpasupinpasupinpasupinpasupinpasupinpasupinpasupinpasupinpasupinpasupinpasupinpasupinpasupinpasupinpasupinpasupinpasupinpasupinpasupinpa
Oct 22, 2023 5:24 AM
Oct 2023
Great visual style, love it... But not much food for thought
Nov 12, 2023 4:49 PM
Jun 2022
One of the best cyberpunk themed anime, period.
Nov 16, 2023 7:28 PM
Feb 2020
A very engaging film. Definitely a film that encourages multiple viewings but nevertheless lives up to it's "classic" reputation.
Dec 15, 2023 4:46 AM
Mar 2023
The most overrated movie of all time?
Jan 1, 2:12 AM

Jul 2021
An interesting movie, its been on my PTW forever.

I liked the main male lead detective guy.

The buildings in this anime and the overall aesthetic are missing in todays anime.

Jan 15, 2:12 PM

Nov 2018
It's not easy to digest. I was left with lots of questions.
I'll definitely need a re-watch if not reading the manga too.
"The me today will not ever make the future me to regret!"
(Emily Adachi from Air Gear: Kuro no Hane to Nemuri no Mori - Break on the Sky)

Feb 5, 12:58 PM

Mar 2018
This movie definitely leaves something to be desired in the ideas and messages it brought to the table. The main thing I took away from this is what defines someone as uniquely them, as a human, specifically the boat scene. This was my favorite scene of the movie but beside that it left something to be desired, something more for it's message of human uniqueness in a world consumed by A.I. and augmented humans which stands even more relevant today.

Like if I were to compare this to other shows that tackled the potential dangers of the internet and technology on mankind. I would rate it in the order of Lain, Psycho-Pass, then Ghost in the Shell.

Both Lain and Psycho-Pass provide something more fleshed out in it's vision and messages where Ghost in the Shell just leaves me wanting more from it's concept.

Thinking on the Garbage Collector B interrogation, this scene could have been expanded in a way to provide more emotion and empathy on the viewer on the pain he experienced being told that this life he thought he lived with a wife and kid were all a lie, but instead it glides through it with minimal emotion placed on the viewer as it continues on.

It's gonna be an 7 for me as I was left with slight disappointment but still appreciative of it's vision, message, and experience it provides despite this.
Celest__Feb 5, 1:11 PM
Feb 13, 6:35 PM
Feb 2023
Hàng Nhật Xách Tay chuyên hàng Mỹ phẩm Nhật Bản, thực phẩm chức năng, sản phẩm làm đẹp da, giảm cân, tăng cường sức khoẻ tự nhiên, Serum dưỡng trắng da, Kem trị mụn…
Hashtag: #xachtaynhatgiare #myphamnhatban #hangnhatxachtay
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/xachtaynhatbangiare
SĐT: 0705387991
Địa chỉ: CT4 KĐT Vĩnh Điềm Trung, Nha Trang, Khánh Hòa
Mar 27, 3:04 PM

Jan 2021
Great story especially with everything that’s going on currently with all the AI stuff and really cool animation
Apr 8, 12:04 AM
Jul 2015
philisophy-heavy. split up this movie between 2 nights, finished watching this at 1 am LOL
May 1, 10:36 AM

Aug 2021
Finally settled for a re-watch after 2 years, the final scene of the dialogue between Motoko and Puppet Master where both lying down in an abandoned Nissen-hut-like structure gotta be one of the greatest scenes I've ever seen in any film.
May 3, 12:05 PM

Jul 2011
It's either too late for me to enjoy this movie in 2024 or the movie is bad.

The characters are just so bland and the world was not explained, it pretty much assumes that you know all these cyberpunk concepts. Maybe in 1995 where people would sit down and just enjoy an avant garde movie to then ponder philosophically what it all entailed and the potential of transhumanism but in 2024 where we live in clown world and you get ads thrown to your face every other minute kind of hard to appreciate.

90's media like perfect blue or evangelion i think are masterpieces but this one feels meh to me.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» How do you describe Motoko Kusanagi's dilemma?

Mehwish_999 - Apr 23

2 by AkiraMiyazaki17 »»
Apr 24, 4:08 AM

» How bad are the Ghost in the Shell Blu Rays?

JiffyBone - Mar 12, 2018

8 by Seiidou »»
Aug 6, 2023 8:51 PM

» The Original Movie Was Better

Densel_ - Nov 13, 2022

10 by Densel_ »»
May 7, 2023 9:49 PM

» Canon story watch order?

WeebiBOY - Jan 21, 2023

4 by giffica »»
Jan 21, 2023 4:58 PM

» Is Ghost in the Shell series worth watching?

Tatsuya1337 - Sep 29, 2017

27 by Densel_ »»
Nov 13, 2022 5:22 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.