Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 24, 2009 8:37 PM

Aug 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well, I thought this was a pretty good episode. A really good one off for Atsuko, who I think needed her own little story. We basically are shown once again how Atsuko is kind of in awe of Michiko because of how distinctly different she is from her. I think that with the entrance of Vanessa Lee, or Michiko-lite, Atsuko finally learns what draws her to these types of women, which gets me to my next point. I've said and griped about a lot of things regarding this show, but what I absolutely give it credit for is it's depiction of strong, varied, and flawed women of color. It's the only show that I think does black and Hispanics in a non-stereotypical light, and with a profound sense of depth.

That's also what's so frustrating, these great characters who aren't pushed or used enough, and instead have to go through these "challenges of the episode" whether it be bull fighting, escaping a circus, hallucinating. Sometimes they work, like Michiko getting a haircut or this episode with the golden vase; but when they miss, they really miss (last week).

But, this marks the halfway point of the series, and I'm still not sure where this is going. I don't know if Hiroshi is an actor, or some kind of farmer, but we at least know that this "City of Tomatoes" is a great point of interest for Michiko, Hana, Atsuko, and maybe even Satoshi.
Jan 25, 2009 12:52 AM

Jul 2007
This girl looked really nice. Maybe I'd give this series more than 1/10 if she had been the main character instead.

Jan 25, 2009 11:15 AM

Feb 2008
Speaking of Vanessa, did anybody else think this:
=

The only difference is Vanessa has bigger boobs and is naked more often.

Anyway, good episode. Even though it was mostly talking and exposition it was a million times better than a certain other show that relies heavily and talking and exposition. That being said, I can't wait to see some more Michiko and Hatchin inter/action.

And yes noteDhero, we seem to be heading for the conclusion 'full steam ahead', even though this episode seemed to be kind of random it still progressed the plot a little :)
Jan 25, 2009 12:40 PM

Feb 2008
Damn, I'm starting to like Atsuko. She was really cool this time.

Kotori said:

Headphones! :D

kuroshiroi said:

Now I know why Vanessa looked so familiar.
Jan 25, 2009 2:16 PM

Oct 2007
Overall a really enjoyable episode. Slow, relaxing pase, interesting side story and great characters. Vanessa is also really cute.

De-JaY said:
Damn, I'm starting to like Atsuko. She was really cool this time.

Kotori said:

Headphones! :D

kuroshiroi said:

Now I know why Vanessa looked so familiar.

It's weird, but when I saw Vanessa with the headphones I instantly had to think about you De-JaY ^_^

"Thousands have lived without love, not one without water." -Wystan Hugh
Jan 25, 2009 2:59 PM
Dec 2007
Definitely a good episode. What's strange is that the plot seems to develop more when the two main characters are not on screen than when they are. With Atsuko and chibi-Michi... huh Vanessa Lee, we have not only a great standalone episode, but also something that really pushes forward the plot, instead of episodic fillers like the last two episodes with the main cast. I don't know what to think of this series for now, sometimes we have well-paced episodes with good direction like this one, and sometimes very badly written ones, it's really random. Alos, good thing that you mentionned this noteDhero: "depiction of strong, varied, and flawed women of color", I never thought about this but I think you're spot on. Racial differences is definitely something that Manglobe (and Shinichiro Watanabe) likes to talk about.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jan 25, 2009 3:02 PM
Jul 2018
Pretty cool episode. Kind of weird since Michiko or Hatchin weren't the main focus, or even in it(except for flashbacks). That one girl Vanessa was basically a younger version of Michiko and Atsuko wasn't as bad as I had originally thought she was.
Jan 25, 2009 6:58 PM

Sep 2008
Could it be that the seiyuu of Michiko is the same of Vanessa?
Jan 25, 2009 11:42 PM

Sep 2007
Great episode, and this series rocks.

Loved how Atsuko kept thinking back to her younger self. The mini-Michiko was great too, her cheekiness was perfect. The atmosphere down in the ruins was freaking awesome - seeing the dead guy slumped against the wall in the same position as Vanessa was a creepy moment.

I'm pretty sure the Gold Vase is a metaphor for something or other. Anyone care to speculate?
Jan 26, 2009 8:47 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
I was waiting for some background information on those two. Really nice episode.

Aboraash said:
No it's not the same. Yoko Maki is Michiko, Takeshi Wakamatsu is Vanessa (as well as the father from the first two eps, Rico and Bruno).

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jan 26, 2009 9:06 AM

Aug 2008
naikou said:
Great episode, and this series rocks.

Loved how Atsuko kept thinking back to her younger self. The mini-Michiko was great too, her cheekiness was perfect. The atmosphere down in the ruins was freaking awesome - seeing the dead guy slumped against the wall in the same position as Vanessa was a creepy moment.

I'm pretty sure the Gold Vase is a metaphor for something or other. Anyone care to speculate?

I think that the Gold Vase is a metaphor for Michiko and Vanessa's belief in getting what they are chasing after. For Vanessa it's her boyfreind, and for Michiko it's Hiroshi. Both feel like that vase is waiting to be caught and have an unwavering belief in its existence despite the nay-saying of others. They both are willing to face social ridicule and physical pain to reach that goal. Maybe that's why a lot of us continue to watch the show. We believe as much as Michiko does that the end will justify the means, and that the payoff at the end of the show will be grand and fulfilling.

Props, if that was the actual intent.
Jan 26, 2009 9:23 AM

Feb 2008
cyruz said:
I was waiting for some background information on those two. Really nice episode.
Aboraash said:
No it's not the same. Yoko Maki is Michiko, Takeshi Wakamatsu is Vanessa (as well as the father from the first two eps, Rico and Bruno).
Uh, what? A dude playing a girl? In any case, ANN doesn't agree. Unless they were making some changes when you were viewing it.

NoteDhero: Sounds plausible. I too believe that the end will not disappoint but I'm also afraid it will.
Jan 26, 2009 9:32 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
kuroshiroi said:
Uh, what? A dude playing a girl? In any case, ANN doesn't agree. Unless they were making some changes when you were viewing it.
In fact, that is exactly what ANN says.

Nice theory indeed, noteDhero. I first thought that the vase could be the current Michiko (not Vanessa) making it all a trial for Atsuko and a metaphor for chasing but never catching Michiko (yet?) - but that doesn't make as much sense as your post.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jan 26, 2009 9:36 AM

Feb 2008
This is what I see:
Takeshi Wakamatsu as Father Pedro Belenbauza (episodes 1-2)
Tetsushi Tanaka as Rico
Yukiya Kitamura as Bruno (ep 7)
Yuriko Yoshitaka as Vanessa (episode 13)
Are you seeing something different?
Jan 26, 2009 10:11 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Oh wow, I should stop reading things with only one eye. >_<

My bad, the lack of links for the other voice actors kind of blocked them all out.. or something.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jan 26, 2009 10:39 AM

Sep 2007
@noteDhero - Good call, that makes sense.

I have a feeling we aren't going to see Vanessa anymore after this episode. Kind of sad...
Jan 26, 2009 3:40 PM

Feb 2008
cyruz said:
Oh wow, I should stop reading things with only one eye. >_<

My bad, the lack of links for the other voice actors kind of blocked them all out.. or something.
Hehe, I figured as much :)
Anyway, Vanessa's VA is actually a rather famous J-drama TV actress but doesn't seem to have done any anime yet. Hopefully we'll see her in some future show.

I would never have questioned it if you hadn't claimed that a guy was voicing a girl in an anime, I don't think I've ever seen that. The other way round, all the rage it seems.
Jan 27, 2009 6:52 PM

Dec 2007
Great episode. If only Vanessa were to take Hatchin's place for the entire series...

Jacut said:
Definitely a good episode. What's strange is that the plot seems to develop more when the two main characters are not on screen than when they are. With Atsuko and chibi-Michi... huh Vanessa Lee, we have not only a great standalone episode, but also something that really pushes forward the plot, instead of episodic fillers like the last two episodes with the main cast. I don't know what to think of this series for now, sometimes we have well-paced episodes with good direction like this one, and sometimes very badly written ones, it's really random.

I feel the exact same way.
Jan 28, 2009 10:22 PM

Oct 2007
This was a solid episode. I was a bit skeptical at first upon learning it would be an Atsuko focused episode. I was not fond of her character, but my opinion on her has changed a lot after seeing episode 13. I also found Vanessa to be an interesting side character and would not complain if she somehow showed up in another episode.

Oh and the Mirror's Edge comparison pic is interesting. I did not make that connection but the characters do look similar.
Feb 6, 2009 10:07 AM

Sep 2007
Deadpool135 said:
If only Vanessa were to take Hatchin's place for the entire series...

Uh, no. One Michiko is enough, thanks. We need variety.
Feb 12, 2009 4:16 AM
Oct 2007
Oppai no nipple wo mimashita
Feb 16, 2009 6:50 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
cool ep imo
p r o f i l e 👀
Mar 25, 2009 10:01 PM

Jan 2008
Vanessa = Faith anime ver.

Okay episode.
Apr 15, 2009 6:28 AM

Jun 2008
aero said:
Vanessa = Faith anime ver.

She was adorable, interesting episode. I've got a liking to every character, so I didn't mind it. OH I can't get enough of the ED<3
May 2, 2009 1:03 PM

Jan 2009
Cool episode! I give it 5. Atsuko is a nice charakter and her relations with Michiko are very interesting

Jul 1, 2009 2:45 AM

Dec 2008
This show stands for hot female characters *thumbsup*
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 11, 2009 7:19 PM
Jun 2009
LOL at Vanessa throwing the fruit at the monkey!
Apr 28, 2010 4:32 PM

Aug 2009
good ep!
Apr 19, 2011 5:15 PM

Jan 2011
Am I the only one that thought the boyfriend in the picture with Vanessa looked like Hiroshi?
Apr 9, 2012 1:48 PM

Jan 2012
it was kinda cool learning about Atsuko... I didn't really think much of her character up until now apart from that i loved her hair xD but yeah now that I have more background on her, she isn't so bad.... half way point and im still clueless though, not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing... nonetheless im going to keep watching and hope that the plot progresses, obv this 'land of tomatoes' or whatever it was called is a main point of interest for all the characters so hopefully something will happen with that!
Apr 11, 2012 4:06 AM

May 2008
Wuh wuh wuh . Wuh Wuh Wuh. Wuh wuh wuh. Okay so how did they get out

Awesome Sig by Lailide
May 3, 2012 1:29 AM

Dec 2009
greenmush said:
Wuh wuh wuh . Wuh Wuh Wuh. Wuh wuh wuh. Okay so how did they get out

I believe the writers intentionally leave a lot of these blank areas for the viewer to speculate on, such as the Deus episode and maybe just to continually push the fact that really the logic and story shouldn't be your main concern.
Jul 5, 2012 10:42 PM

Jul 2011
this pisod was cut lee-lee was so much like michiko doing everything fo a man she loves and atsuko truly does love michiko
Mar 16, 2013 9:05 AM

May 2012
Not a bad side story, is sometimes nice to see someone different focused on in an episode... Lets see what's next!
Sep 29, 2013 9:43 PM

Sep 2013
I really enjoyed this episode we got to learn more about Jumbo (but how did her fro stay up the entire time 0_0) and meet Vanessa or LilMitch :p
Oct 1, 2013 9:53 AM

Oct 2009
This probably the best episode yet! O.O It doesn't even have Machiko or Hatchin XD
Didn't like Atsuko before, now though my favourite next to Michiko..More of Vanessa wouldn't be bad i guess, though we probably won't see her again.
Dec 3, 2013 2:09 PM

Nov 2009
So that really was a picture of Hiroshi in the newspaper, and not just Michiko's hallucination? However if that is the case I wonder if that also means that Hiroshi moved on with another woman . . . Would be kind of tragic considering how Michiko's one goal this entire time after deciding he might be alive is to find him so that he won't be alone anymore. Though I also get the feeling they might try to say he has/had amnesia if he is alive and they do find him.
Feb 1, 2014 7:07 PM

Mar 2009
...and that other woman might be Vanessa. What a shame although not much of a surprise.
Jul 19, 2014 1:29 PM

Jan 2010
I might be understanding Atsuko wrong, but I'm thinking that she's struggling to pick which side of the law she wants to stand on. It's not that one side has more benefits than the other, but it feels like she just wants a side she could identify with. Again, even if it's a misunderstanding, it's making me like her character.
Nov 4, 2014 8:54 AM

Aug 2013
RIP Marmalade lmao!

I have a feeling Hiroshi's going to pull the "you're so stupid for hanging on to me" attitude on Michiko. Then be a bigger douche and say Hatchin is not his.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Dec 31, 2014 12:08 AM

Sep 2014
Oh my god, when Vanessa threw the coconut at the monkey ...

DEATH LMFAO
Jan 30, 2015 10:15 AM

Nov 2014
Great episode! Love that we got an Atsuko focused episode since she's awesome.

Vanessa was pretty cool, like a mini Michiko but not as amazing haha xD That poor monkey getting hit by the coconut she threw!
Aug 4, 2015 12:21 PM

Sep 2012
Vannessa was awesome in this episode.
Aug 11, 2015 7:01 PM

Apr 2015
I enjoyed Atsuko's backstory but I missed Michiko & Hacchin.

Also Hiroshi is a thot.
Nov 21, 2015 10:57 AM

Oct 2014
I thought I was watching Michiko & Hatchin not Vanessa and Atsuko
Apr 12, 2016 3:01 PM

Feb 2012
Liked how they show her side of the story. Being the decoy

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jul 27, 2016 9:46 PM

Jan 2013
Go back with air tanks. Good episode for the most part, rather slow
Sep 27, 2016 9:28 PM
Sep 2015
Am I the only one who, after the talk with Ricardo, thought Vanessa might turn out to be hired by Monstro to lure Atsuko into a trap?

"Let's go back, there's a buildup of gas." - lights a lighter

I guess they were both rescued by the same good samaritan who saved Hana from drowning a few episodes ago.
Nov 16, 2016 2:00 PM

Jun 2013
noteDhero said:

We basically are shown once again how Atsuko is kind of in awe of Michiko because of how distinctly different she is from her. I think that with the entrance of Vanessa Lee, or Michiko-lite, Atsuko finally learns what draws her to these types of women, which gets me to my next point. I've said and griped about a lot of things regarding this show, but what I absolutely give it credit for is it's depiction of strong, varied, and flawed women of color. It's the only show that I think does black and Hispanics in a non-stereotypical light, and with a profound sense of depth.

That's also what's so frustrating, these great characters who aren't pushed or used enough, and instead have to go through these "challenges of the episode" whether it be bull fighting, escaping a circus, hallucinating. Sometimes they work, like Michiko getting a haircut or this episode with the golden vase; but when they miss, they really miss (last week).

Atsuko is a cool foil for Michiko, and she's not utilized often enough by the story. I also haven't seen any anime series with this many women of color as important, memorable characters with each of them being very different and believable. What I think this show is really missing is a strong vision of substance. Either the shared vision of multiple people or just one person would have been great, but instead we have all these ideas, some of them really cool, some of them not so much, thrown into the mixed bag we call Michiko and Hatchin.
Nov 20, 2018 6:14 AM

Oct 2017
oh wow we LOVE atsuko!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Michiko to Hatchin Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

windy - Mar 22, 2009

242 by Perrin4869 »»
May 14, 8:50 AM

Poll: » Michiko to Hatchin Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 )

simo000 - Mar 14, 2009

56 by Perrin4869 »»
May 13, 5:03 AM

Poll: » Michiko to Hatchin Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

angel999 - Nov 12, 2008

104 by prozyne »»
Jan 30, 8:41 PM

Poll: » Michiko to Hatchin Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

angel999 - Oct 29, 2008

82 by prozyne »»
Jan 28, 5:38 AM

» music in this series

abyss_will - Jan 20, 2019

5 by abyss_will »»
Jan 22, 11:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.