Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 24, 2013 11:58 PM

Jan 2008
Ok everyone, new topic of discussion that I want people where I want people to chime-in with their opinion. A lot of controversy surrounds the issue of the question "what is anime?" *cue corny reference to ADV commercials* There's a lot of ways to answer the question, and I've spent a considerable amount of time arguing with mods on MAL, and elsewhere, about what is appropriate to be included in the term. That's all old news. I've revived the topic here, amd I want to hear discourse from everyone who cares to say something.

Restrictions: I'm going to make things bit easier, with the chancing nature of the industry causing problems. We will leave-out more recent industry trends and focus on the period from 1958 to 2001. If needed, I will post an explanation later for the starting year, but the end year is both because history is best viewed from a distance (about 10 years is rule of thumb), and because too many things about the way anime is made has changed.

MAL's guidelines--last I checked--require a work to be animated, not be a segment in a video game, produced in an Asian country AND to be produced primarily for that market area. I'm going to leave my own thoughts on this issue aside for the moment, and will simply respond to what you guys have to say.

What makes something anime? Go.
~ Mr. Panda // Twitter: @ManlyBats
~ The Anime Historian
~ Fleet Admiral, Manly Battleships®
Ask Mr. Panda Thread
Follow Mr. Panda's VCR of DOOM! review series here. Now on YouTube!
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Dec 28, 2015 10:00 PM

Oct 2014
I guess I just go with "animated work produced primarily in Japan."
Mar 24, 2016 4:08 PM

Jan 2008
The effort of a reply is appreciated, even if late. ;)
~ Mr. Panda // Twitter: @ManlyBats
~ The Anime Historian
~ Fleet Admiral, Manly Battleships®
Ask Mr. Panda Thread
Follow Mr. Panda's VCR of DOOM! review series here. Now on YouTube!
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » -Anime History Question Guide-

Mr_Panda - May 16, 2009

32 by Mr_Panda »»
Jan 25, 2022 10:53 PM

Sticky: » Add Related Anime/Manga

Mr_Panda - Dec 15, 2008

30 by Mr_Panda »»
Jul 16, 2015 11:31 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.