Forum Settings
Forums

Spinoff Manga of 'Saint Seiya' With Heroine Protagonist Starts in August

New
Jul 19, 2013 10:30 AM

Sep 2012
Manga "Saint Seiya" is to have another spinoff manga starting next month. The manga "Saint Seiya: Saintia Shou" will start serialization from next issue of the monthly magazine Champion Red which will be released on August 19th. Unlike Saint Seiya and its previous spinoffs, this manga will feature a heroine, Saintia, as the protagonist. The story takes place after the rebellion of Saga and features Saintia, an elite guard who has to protect Athena and Sanctuary from the invasion of the evil goddess Eris and her minions.

Saint Seiya was written by Kurumada Masami from 1986 to 1990, and has since spawned multiple spinoff manga, TV anime series, OVAs, movies, and even stage musicals. The new manga will be drawn by Kuori Chimaki, although the idea of having a girl as the protagonist came from Kurumada himself.

Source: Mainichi

Saint Seiya - Saintia Shou on MAL
myanimelistllcMar 5, 2016 5:19 AM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jul 19, 2013 10:36 AM

Nov 2011
Not a big fan of the Saint Seiya franchise but I'll read the first chapter when it comes out to see how it goes....
Jul 19, 2013 10:46 AM

Nov 2008
There's only too saint seiya that were good in my opinion the original saint seiya and Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas - Meiou Shinwa. I'm not quite sure about this new one but maybe i'll keep an open mind until the manga comes out.
Jul 19, 2013 11:36 AM

Jan 2008
They could be a little more innovative with the her name...
I'm curious how they are going to excuse lack of the mask this time.
Jul 19, 2013 11:45 AM

Aug 2009
Actually I liked the idea of having a girl as the protagonist. I read the prologue (released yesterday) and it was good. BTW, The clothes are way better than in the Omega. Ah, Shou is the Equuleus Saintia. She is definitely cool.
Now I want to see the other heroines! hehe.
sakaJul 19, 2013 11:17 PM
Jul 19, 2013 11:45 AM

Jul 2007
Will certainly give it a try. It can only be better than Omega, right?
Jul 19, 2013 11:47 AM

Jan 2011
i read the prologue, the artsyle is similar to Lost Canvas but less detailed
Sho is hot
Jul 19, 2013 11:47 AM

Sep 2012
According to Kurumada, he suggested a girl as the protagonist because for Athena who is a goddess (and thus female), it only makes sense that her close bodyguards should be female too.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jul 19, 2013 11:59 AM

Jan 2008
I hope "close bodyguard" means she's actually competent and not "the plot demands she needs saving way too often". She shouldn't fall in this category as a main heroine though. Oh, I really like her armour design - simple and practical.
Jul 19, 2013 12:04 PM

Sep 2011
So this is basically a female version of Saint seiya, with more female characters lol, and see'ing as this is being serialized in champion red, i'm guessing it'll have quite a bit of fanservice.
Jul 19, 2013 12:10 PM

Nov 2012
Apparently she's the new female Pegasus saint who's not going to wear a mask.

Ciara said:

I'm curious how they are going to excuse lack of the mask this time.
supposedly something like this has already happened in Omega.
RX-782Jul 19, 2013 12:18 PM
Jul 19, 2013 12:29 PM

Jan 2008
I know. But I don't expect all SS heroines to rebel against the rules at once and declare they're going to fight "true to their feelings" like Yuna did. I think they will just make exception for Athena's elite guards or something.
Jul 19, 2013 12:34 PM

Jan 2011
wouldnt be the first time, Yuzuriha rarelly used her mask, then again i culd be cause she was raised in Jamir an not in the sanctuary
Jul 19, 2013 12:41 PM

Nov 2012
Ciara said:
I know. But I don't expect all SS heroines to rebel against the rules at once and declare they're going to fight "true to their feelings" like Yuna did. I think they will just make exception for Athena's elite guards or something.
Yeah, same here I would've prefer that she did wear the mask.

@silversaint
Didn't she wear the mask only when she wore her cloth? I haven't completed Lost canvas yet but she didn't really have her cloth the majority of the first season, but wasn't it because she had to pick it up from Sanctuary?
Jul 19, 2013 3:03 PM

Jan 2011
Unit-01 said:

Didn't she wear the mask only when she wore her cloth? I haven't completed Lost canvas yet but she didn't really have her cloth the majority of the first season, but wasn't it because she had to pick it up from Sanctuary?

she did on the first few eps, when she was fighting the God of Appearences she was no longer wearing it

the mask issue got mentioned a few more times but never seemed to care about that
(Mod edit: manga scans removed)
sakaJul 19, 2013 11:16 PM
Jul 19, 2013 3:26 PM

Jan 2008
Unit-01 said:
Ciara said:
Yeah, same here I would've prefer that she did wear the mask.

Oh, I'm quite okay with her not wearing the mask. I'm just curious how they will explain it. From what I remember Kurumada himself said the whole mask gist is silly and he put it in only because he needed an excuse to hide Marin's identity for the time being. With Yuna it kinda led to forced drama and in the end it didn't matter much - it's like everybody forgot there ever was a law like this.
Jul 19, 2013 3:31 PM

Mar 2009
Yes.. dat name... ah but is very interesting, i'm glad about this new, i'd like to watch this spinoff.
Jul 19, 2013 7:57 PM
Oct 2011
Skas said:
Actually I liked the idea of having a girl as the protagonist. I read the prologue (released yesterday) and it was good. BTW, The clothes are way better than in the Omega. Ah, Shou is the Equuleus Saintia. She is definitely cool.
Now I want to see the other heroines! hehe.

She looks really cool. Awesome.

Also, about time.
sakaJul 19, 2013 11:17 PM
Jul 19, 2013 8:09 PM

Oct 2007
While they are at it, how about adding "Yuri" tag to it?

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Jul 19, 2013 9:42 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Siva said:

ROTFL. That would be an interesting twist actually. Also, they can add "Mahou Shoujo" too.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jul 19, 2013 9:49 PM

Sep 2012
Siva said:
If there is Yuri between Athena and Saintia, then I would definitely read the manga LOL

Jul 19, 2013 11:52 PM

May 2010
nevermind a female protagonist. We want the CGI Adaptation!
Jul 19, 2013 11:59 PM
Oct 2010
I think I'd have liked this franchise more if it didn't remind me so much of DBZ.
Jul 20, 2013 6:42 PM

Jun 2011
I don't know a whole lot about Saint Seiya, I've only read the Lost Canvas manga which was drawn by Teshirogi Shiori and I really enjoyed it regardless. Looking forward to this.
Jul 20, 2013 8:55 PM

Apr 2010
I'll check it out just to see how it is.
Jul 22, 2013 8:50 PM

Apr 2008
Going for it! Bring me lady Pegasus!
Jul 23, 2013 4:04 PM

Oct 2007
shakeyourpup45 said:
Now that made me remember they never mention Athena going to be female.

Jul 23, 2013 4:11 PM

Nov 2012
Siva said:
shakeyourpup45 said:
Does Athenas gender really need to be mentioned? Lol
Jul 23, 2013 10:11 PM

Aug 2009
Sounds interesting I'll give it a shot.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jul 24, 2013 8:27 AM

Oct 2007
Unit-01 said:
Siva said:
shakeyourpup45 said:
Does Athenas gender really need to be mentioned? Lol
Never underestimate the mind of the Japanese writers.

Jul 24, 2013 8:35 AM

Jul 2013
Would be better if they could finish Lost Canvas :(
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Tamon-kun Ima Docchi!?' Gets TV Anime

DatRandomDude - 4 hours ago

8 by Memore »»
2 minutes ago

» 'Spy x Family' Gets Third Anime Season

Vindstot - Jun 9

34 by AfroWarrior27 »»
3 hours ago

» Animation Studio Gainax Declares Bankruptcy

Vindstot - Jun 9

30 by Playcool »»
4 hours ago

» 'Na Nare Hana Nare' Reveals Additional Cast, First Promo

Nioxys - 12 hours ago

3 by Hoppy »»
4 hours ago

» 'Mob kara Hajimaru Tansaku Eiyuutan' Reveals Additional Cast

Nioxys - Yesterday

2 by bastek66 »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.