Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 7, 2013 8:07 PM

Jan 2012
Sub or Dub? I've heard a lot of good things about the dub, and you can never really go wrong with sub, so I was just wondering, what did people enjoy the most?
LunaJul 26, 2013 5:48 AM
Jul 8, 2013 7:33 AM

Mar 2013
You'll probably get more replies in favor of the dub, so I wanted to provide an alternative view. Of course it all comes down to your personal preferences, so you'll have to choose for yourself regardless of what other posters say.

For me, I cannot imagine watching it any other way but with the original voice cast. I've seen a few scenes of the English dub and I have to say that with all those different accents (English, French, German, Italian) the show comes off sounding more comical than it was meant to. To me it sounded like an episode of 'Allo, 'Allo (you're probably too young to know which show I'm referring to, but those who've seen it will know what I mean).

Two voices (in the English dub) I've found particularly annoying are Seras's and Major's.

As far as the main character is concerned, again, cannot imagine anyone else as Alucard but Nakata. I've nothing against Freeman, I've noticed he's all the rage amongst the English speaking fans, but his performance cannot compare to that of his Japanese colleague. Nakata has such a rich and dark voice and gives Alucard this stern and authoritative quality. Whereas Freeman, I've noticed, tries to make him sound more playboyish (is that a word?) I'm not saying that's necessarily bad, but obviously it wasn't the intention.

Aaah, sorry for the long rant. There's probably more I could add, but cannot recall at the moment. Cheers.
NoiresseJul 8, 2013 9:34 AM
Jul 8, 2013 8:01 AM

Dec 2012
This is a tough one.

Sub - only because the last two eps aren't dubbed yet (and no sign of it anytime soon) and it really blows to watch a show dubbed and then have to switch over at the finale.

On the other hand, Hellsing Ultimate is one of those few shows that has such incredible animation that I hate watching it subbed because I can't watch the scenery and action as much.
http://www.anime4649.com

Getting caught up on anime.
Jul 9, 2013 7:37 PM

Feb 2012
Sub definitely... The only drawback is perhaps missing subtle background images/scenes in anime (Like in Durarara or Steins;Gate). Though with Hellsing Ultimate this isn't an issue. I haven't heard the dub, so I can't diss it, however Japanese voice acting is typically superior.
Jul 12, 2013 6:39 PM

Sep 2012
Alucard's voice is like sex for the ears in the sub.
Jul 13, 2013 1:31 AM

May 2012
For the first four episodes i would say dub. Pre-episode-5-and-onward it was one of my favorite dubs, Crispin Freeman is epicness.

HOWEVER. When Funimation took over (episode 5 and onward) they kind of screwed up the dub. They added a weird echo-y effect to all the vampires, so they now sound like robots. I hated that. The Japanese version does not have that at all!

So i will say sub. Plus you'd have to wait for the dub to finish the last 2 episodes which could take a while.
Noiresse said:
the show comes off sounding more comical than it was meant to.
Because it's not like there was any comedy in Hellsing Ultimate... OH WAIT
who_dat_ninjaJul 13, 2013 1:36 AM
Jul 13, 2013 7:57 AM

Mar 2013
SteampunkDalek said:

Noiresse said:

That is why I said "more comical than it was meant to". If you'd paid attention to what I said, you could've skipped the sarcasm.
NoiresseJul 13, 2013 8:05 AM
Jul 13, 2013 11:12 AM

May 2012
Noiresse said:
SteampunkDalek said:

Noiresse said:

That is why I said "more comical than it was meant to". If you'd paid attention to what I said, you could've skipped the sarcasm.
You can only take an over the top show like this so seriously. I'm glad the dub went in a more "pulpy" direction for the acting. And how do you know how the Japanese cast are playing it? I doubt you're familiar enough with the language to tell the difference. (Neither am i for that matter)
Jul 14, 2013 3:15 PM

Mar 2013
Narutodad said:
Alucard's voice is like sex for the ears in the sub.

I concur ^

;-)
Jan 1, 2014 7:14 PM

Oct 2013
Both are really good! I personally preferred the sub but the dub shows great diversity because of the wide range of nations involved. However the last 2 episodes haven't been licensed yet so if you watch the dub you will have to switch over to the sub to finish it.

Anderson is just awesome in the dub. AAAAAAAMEN!!!
Jan 19, 2014 8:06 PM

Dec 2008
Its just not good ol fashioned, proper anime if its not sub. KANPAI
Feb 1, 2014 11:48 PM

Jan 2014
Alucard's voice alone makes it the sub for me.

Jouji Nakata is an amazing VA and perfectly fits Alucard.
Feb 6, 2014 9:01 PM
Dec 2013
Subs.
Feb 6, 2014 9:02 PM
Dec 2013
Rsrdaman said:
Alucard's voice alone makes it the sub for me.

Jouji Nakata is an amazing VA and perfectly fits Alucard.

Agreed, his voice isn't that hot in english.
Feb 11, 2014 3:57 AM
Aug 2013
I enjoyed both personally, you get different things out of each version. With the dub. you get with the variety of fun accents, and.... well, Crispin Freeman of course.

However, Nakata is amazing in the sub and.... do I even need to mention Wakamoto?
May 8, 2018 5:17 AM
Jun 2016
Crispin Freeman is in the dub, it doesn't matter what the circumstances. If it's for Crispin Freeman, no faults with the dub, nor positive qualities of the sub are relevant.

Crispin Freeman is the Morgan Freeman of anime, his voice is like majesty. It doesn't matter what the sacrifices are, he's worth it.
Mar 15, 2019 1:54 PM
Jul 2018
Regarding Seras and Integra, I preferred the UK dub of the original TV series. It matched with their personality. The American dubs while decent, felt out of place

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hellsing Ultimate Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

OmegaRed - Jul 29, 2008

154 by aronbebop »»
Apr 22, 8:15 AM

Poll: » Hellsing Ultimate Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Klimat - Feb 15, 2012

157 by liliyoa »»
Apr 10, 11:03 PM

Poll: » Hellsing Ultimate Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Klimat - Dec 24, 2009

275 by Comander-07 »»
Mar 27, 11:09 AM

Poll: » Hellsing Ultimate Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

JudgeRuthless - Aug 6, 2012

298 by Hayoka_ »»
Mar 23, 6:39 PM

Poll: » Dub or Sub?

Garou_Monster - Aug 13, 2022

16 by Argonnant »»
Feb 29, 2:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.