Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jul 5, 2019 6:23 PM

Dec 2013
lihle808 said:
Woah! That was a rushed ending, it felt like they had a limit of 26 episodes and couldn't go beyond that. Not even a season 2? They wanted to wrap things fast even though the story was large. The Washizu arc sure took longer and didn't even finish, I'm really disappointed since Akagi was able to rile up the old guy into a comeback match. That blood bait by Akagi convinced that Washizu to step up again, and things would've been interesting. Hated that they skipped to the late 90s without giving us the full details of the match.

But overall I enjoyed this series very much, Akagi is such a great gambler that's able to keep their composure. That poker face of his is the best in all that I've seen. I guess I will add him to my favorite characters! On the plot itself, in all honesty I didn't get the mahjong game at all, it looked and sounded complicated. In all the 26 episodes, the words Richii, Ron, Xia, Mangan and others were often thrown out but I didn't get what are they! All I wanted to know was if Akagi was winning or what thanks to the narrator. The intensity of the matches were my focus, but I wish to know the game someday. Also I wish it wasn't just about Mahjong only, Akagi also should've suffered a lose even if it was a single one. His lose would've made him to grow and learn to love the game more.

8/10.

You need to read the manga to truly understand Akagi's character. His character is so huge and well written that there's a sequel after Akagi named Ten in which you an see him as an old man.
Sep 2, 2019 3:59 PM

Nov 2016
Got blueballed and that after such a long game:S

Still a thrilling watch and Akagi is one of the most savage guys I've seen so far. Absolute madness.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 11, 2020 12:23 PM

Jan 2013
i had to endure eyepiercingly ugli ass noses, the world would do better without, only to be slapped by this lackluster nothingburger ending. what a joke. i demand my time back.
Jul 14, 2020 5:13 PM

Dec 2013
Or do the smart thing and read the manga
Jul 31, 2020 4:29 PM

Mar 2010
And thus akagi became a legend, what a chad of chads, lord of lords. Truly a inspiration to follow lolz

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Oct 8, 2020 9:47 PM

Nov 2012
Done rewatching, so what has changed since 5 years ago?

1. Still don't understand mahjong, can't be helped.
2. I appreciate this much more now for how unique of a series this is.
3. Akagi's character still fascinates me and I think I understand him more now at an older age.
4. Pacing is still slow but can't be help cause that's Nobuyuki Fukumoto's style.

I'm still highly curious about the rest of Akagi vs Washizu's match but with my limited mahjong knowledge I don't know if it be wise to read the rest of the manga. I mean for one we already know Akagi wins and survives but the details on how we don't know.

How much further do the stakes go? How does Akagi win? After he wins what does Akagi do next? Like I'm curious how would Akagi would continue to live after his match with Washizu? How could someone like Akagi continue to live knowing full well he will never have a true high stake deathmatch like he did with Washizu, I'm highly curious about that.
VanishingKiraOct 8, 2020 10:11 PM
Oct 13, 2020 3:19 PM

Feb 2014
Disappointing read the manga ending
Feb 11, 2021 3:42 AM

Mar 2019
Well, this ending sucked.
Ehh... it's the same issue as with Kaiji, the pacing gets slooow near the end. Still, I really liked all the arcs except for this last one and overall enjoyed this show more that Kaiji. I would love to see a 2nd season (though it's probably not possible at this point ;-;).
OωO
Feb 25, 2021 10:32 PM
Aug 2010
finally got around to this show after watching kaiji years ago.
complete blueball ending, but the intensity and akagi's character are so good.

spoiler warning:
I was curious about the rest of the story given that the manga only finished a few years after this episode aired and read the summary (of 200 chapters :D) here:
https://fukumoto.fandom.com/wiki/Akagi_Shigeru
Jan 13, 2022 1:53 AM

Feb 2020
Well, that a disappointing "to be continue" ending:(

Overall great anime, Akagi is a great character. But I probably didnt understand many aspect due to my limited mahjong knowledge and other worldly level of writing. Wish it had a eng dub, that would have made things much more better.

Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Apr 3, 2022 11:29 AM

Jul 2015
b1b said:
finally got around to this show after watching kaiji years ago.
complete blueball ending, but the intensity and akagi's character are so good.

spoiler warning:
I was curious about the rest of the story given that the manga only finished a few years after this episode aired and read the summary (of 200 chapters :D) here:
https://fukumoto.fandom.com/wiki/Akagi_Shigeru

Hey, its 2022 and watched kaiji years ago and now Akagi, never is late!!!
After many years, I started to watch the series but I didn't understand almost anything. Finally, in 2022 I managed to learn to play mahjong (the basics) and even won a few games. Anime is really enjoyable if you know how to play, even if it's at a very basic level. The anime has been good, for me it is a 7 but I have given it an 8 because I like this type of anime so much (I loved Kaiji and I gave it a 10). Too bad there aren't more animes from the same author!
Oct 21, 2022 12:33 AM

Mar 2017
I learned Riichi Mahjong to fully understand this series, it was totally worth it. Kino in every sense of the word.
Nov 15, 2022 7:11 AM
Dec 2016
Great anime.... But im not really like on this last eps im hoping there's a sequel like kaiji and have wholesome ending...unlike kaiji akagi always win in every match but i preferred kaiji after all
Feb 10, 2023 2:24 PM

Dec 2019
Great way of re-experiencing Akagi. I did prefer the manga a bit, though. But nothing beats Hideki Taniuchi's soundtrack. I might re-read Ten as well, since it's my favorite Fukumoto manga.
Apr 29, 11:49 PM

Jan 2011
Ah, so I guess this is the match I heard took 20 real life years to conclude in the manga.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Akagi Episode 13 Discussion

zq - Oct 17, 2007

25 by Phixiately »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Akagi Episode 12 Discussion

zq - Oct 17, 2007

12 by Phixiately »»
Yesterday, 9:18 AM

Poll: » Akagi Episode 11 Discussion

zq - Oct 17, 2007

18 by Phixiately »»
May 9, 9:20 AM

Poll: » Akagi Episode 10 Discussion

zq - Oct 16, 2007

19 by Phixiately »»
May 8, 12:11 PM

Poll: » Akagi Episode 9 Discussion

zq - Oct 16, 2007

19 by Phixiately »»
May 7, 1:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.