Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 17, 2007 12:47 PM

May 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Really, dis gunna be till ep 26?
Mar 8, 2009 6:58 PM

Feb 2009
It seems this is the real challenge for him so it might go on till the last episode. This guy reminds me of the last challenger Kaiji was facing.

Feb 4, 2010 8:30 PM

Oct 2008
Kinda getting sick of this arc..
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Jun 4, 2010 7:05 PM

Jan 2008
Washizu Mahjong is the culmination of everything this series has been building towards.

It embodies the totality of the Mahjong underworld.

It is the true essence of Mahjong - nay, gambling as a whole.

Jun 10, 2010 6:41 AM
Jan 2010
MAHJONG = SERIOUS BUSINESS
Jan 19, 2011 9:08 AM

Dec 2008
ZoiQ said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

^ +1
I'm really hoping not, but I don't see it ending any other way. I'm actually quite impressed at how the writers and producers have been able to stretch out one little deadly game of Mahjong.
Nov 20, 2012 12:37 PM

Apr 2012
Well, it's probably a bit silly to offer predictions on a series that has been out for years but I bet that Akagi probably has blood to spare since he likely got a blood transfusion when he stopped at that clinic prior to the match. That just seems like a very Akagi thing to do.

Anyway, I am enjoying this arc quite a bit so I wouldn't mind if it lasts until the end of the series.
Feb 20, 2013 3:27 PM

Sep 2012
All this blood, I'm getting thirsty.
May 28, 2013 1:49 PM

Feb 2008
I wish they wouldn't keep wasting half of every episode on exposition about the blood. Nothing new, interesting or truly relevant is being said so its as much of a waste of time as transformations in a mahou shojo series, only much much longer :/
Jul 28, 2013 5:51 AM

Jul 2013
I think I've lost track of how many times Ohgi emphasizes Akagi's genius and character. It's like every single time he gets a chance to talk, he starts going on again about how no one can understand Akagi and how he's in a different realm of thinking n' shit. We get it, Ohgi-san. Please stop repeating yourself.
Jul 31, 2013 4:14 AM

Sep 2008
Akagi is really a gambler with no fear of mortal danger. I can't seem to understand his way of spending his own blood, though.
Mar 7, 2015 8:28 PM

Jun 2014
ellisca said:
I think I've lost track of how many times Ohgi emphasizes Akagi's genius and character. It's like every single time he gets a chance to talk, he starts going on again about how no one can understand Akagi and how he's in a different realm of thinking n' shit. We get it, Ohgi-san. Please stop repeating yourself.

Aug 17, 2015 8:19 AM
Nov 2014
Impressive episode, akagi is just an insane motherfucker who doesn't give a shit about his own safety lmao.
Nov 19, 2015 4:44 PM

Nov 2012
zq said:
Yeah,ain't fond of this arc but unfortunately seems so.
jacobpaige said:
I wish they wouldn't keep wasting half of every episode on exposition about the blood. Nothing new, interesting or truly relevant is being said so its as much of a waste of time as transformations in a mahou shojo series, only much much longer :/
ellisca said:
^This.
Jan 7, 2016 7:18 PM

Feb 2015
I'm not a fan of this arc to be honest. Sure, it has some nice elements (mainly the transparent tiles and other factors), but the villain is really lame, hasn't shown any particular cunning so far, and the arc is getting stretched out without even giving us substantive content. We've gotten Ohgi repeating how genius Akagi is over and over, exposition about the blood and money, and some actual gaming - but not entertaining segments as much as earlier arcs.

Whatever, I imagine some of the episodes here will be worth it, but I don't think I'll end up liking it much as a whole.
Jan 23, 2016 11:39 PM

Mar 2012
I doubt it would last until the last episode since they could speed up the game a bit like they did towards the end of this episode. This arc isn't really as interesting as the previous ones so it would be a shame to have the rest of the episodes be focused on it. I'm still waiting on Akagi to call him retarded which has been pretty amusing when he did it to his previous opponents lol.
Aug 2, 2016 9:40 AM
Feb 2015
from 4chan:
I was watching Akagi again and I have a quick question.

so yeah
kevs926Aug 2, 2016 9:43 AM
Sep 8, 2016 5:23 PM

Jul 2014
I figured he wasn't going to get the blood transfusion.
Feb 10, 2017 12:51 PM

Jan 2013
He uses his life as a bait and puts himself in death's door. Damn Akagi's nuts. He'll do everything to kill Washizu and thats something you appreciate
Sep 15, 2018 7:34 PM

May 2016
If he says he's going to kill you, Akagi means it even if he'll have to stand mere inches before death's edge. No matter how impossible or hopeless the situation is, he always finds a way to get through it right from the get go.

His hesitation was just his instincts talking and I'm pretty sure he got a counter to their plan even if the Xia's with them because he really doesn't look like he gives a damn.

Jul 26, 2020 1:58 PM

Mar 2010
Man when death is near and clear we really are at our peak of our existance, akagi is not wrong.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Oct 7, 2020 7:34 PM

Nov 2012
zq said:
Kind of funny rewatching this and knowing ahead of time that
Nov 20, 2023 7:02 AM

Sep 2022
The thing that made this arc not as intense as before was due to the restriction of Washizu's mahjong itself. Washizu's mahjong was the type of game that relied heavily on luck and depended mostly on tsumo (self-pick) to win due to the amount of information revealed on the transparent tiles itself. As such, most of the winnings tend to be of very low value. At the same time, cheating (which was the prominent themes) was reduced to bare minimum with lack of existing cue and revealed information that discouraged such play. It was why partnership existed to serve as bridge to compensate such "disadvantage" as well as strategy to "feed". Technicality of mahjong became more apparent which became an issue. It didn't help with it's presentation by introducing mahjong to casual viewers like how it could've been a steep learning curve to be made an example out of Akagi when he was first introduced to mahjong. At this point, Washizu's arc may have been the culmination of Akagi's experiences put on display. It may as well be the death of Akagi figuratively.

kevs926 said:
from 4chan:
I was watching Akagi again and I have a quick question.

In episode 19, Washizu has his partner deal the 5 pin to see if Akagi would call on it. He doesn't take the 5 pin and so Washizu presumes it to be safe and plays it on his turn. Akagi rons the shit out of Washizu's 5 pin and wins.

What the shit. Wouldn't Akagi be in furiten if he didn't call on Washizu's goon's 5 pin, i.e. not be able to call on Washizu's?

so yeah

4 players: Washizu, Washizu's friend, Akagi, Akagi's friend. Let's label them as A,B,C,D respectively and their turns are also in that order. A and B are friends. A hinted B to discard a 5pin. B discarded 5pin. C can Ron B's discard, but he didnt. So, D's turn, then A's turn. A discarded a 5pin and C Ron it? How is that possible? is furiten not yet a rule back in 1965? C didnt change his hand whatsover and there were no open melds on the last 4 discards.

Akagi was in temporary Furiten. This restriction ended right after Akagi's turn when he discarded his tile. Washizu presumed that 5 pin was safe not because it was safe from Furiten. Rather, it was due to the higher stake of that last round itself which Akagi was losing by a considerable amount of points to him. Time was running out as Washizu was one tile away from Tenpai (which he need to toss away his 5 pin). He believed that Akagi will win from his partner in order to minimise losses just so that he will have enough blood to survive this very first hanchan session.

You missed out C picked up and discarded his tile. That was when the restriction ended. It was not necessary for him to change his hand.
CosmicdreamNov 20, 2023 9:25 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Akagi Episode 5 Discussion

zq - Oct 16, 2007

17 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 26, 4:03 AM

Poll: » Akagi Episode 4 Discussion

zq - Oct 16, 2007

34 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 26, 2:41 AM

Poll: » Akagi Episode 3 Discussion

zq - Oct 15, 2007

35 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 26, 1:31 AM

Poll: » Akagi Episode 25 Discussion

zq - Oct 18, 2007

23 by gophers-insides »»
Mar 30, 8:44 PM

Poll: » Akagi Episode 23 Discussion

zq - Oct 17, 2007

20 by gophers-insides »»
Mar 30, 7:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.