Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jun 23, 2013 3:23 PM

Oct 2011
Everyone's theory was correct. Kugal was dead while Striker did all the work. It seems Striker learned everything from Kugal but when he died, she took over and continued his work under the Galactic Alliance way of life. I wonder if Chamber can fight without Ledo? So Chamber can go full force without any restriction from Ledo.

The mystery behind the key and the finale next week T____T.
Jun 23, 2013 3:27 PM
May 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
bastek66 said:
Takuan_Soho said:
Makaizen said:
Cant wait to see what that key is for

Some sort of Deus ex Machina device obviously.

It's Chekhov's gun

You mean it is going to go off? Cool, that would bring some action to the show :-)

But seriously (that is if you meant your post seriously, I brought up Chekhov's gun a few episodes ago when I was criticizing this show), if that is true, then what I wrote above will occur. The "Chekhov Gun" of this show is Avalon, they made a big deal about it the first episode, so the "key" will open the way to the equivalent of Avalon on this world (which is why I said it would raise dry land). This is supported by the fact that they mentioned Avalon again this episode. It would also tie to the stated premise of this show.

So that tells us how 13 will go: Chamber will have to sacrifice himself in order to stop the rampaging Stryker (who by the way isn't even a "rouge' AI), but not before Chamber gives a speech telling Ledo (echoing the first episode) that Chamber is proud that Ledo has "developed" as he has, proving that he is worthy of entering Avalon. Chamber will eject Ledo, who will be rescued by Amy and the other girl. With the whalesquid dead (the last of the Hideauze) and Ledo "developed" (and the Alliance and Hideauze now 1,000s of light years away), now the "Secret of the Gargantia" is revealed and it will be verdure I tell you. Ledo will take Amy's hand and as the credit role they will enter their very own "avalon" together. My guess after the credits is that we will see Ledo is now a proud papa and some sort of "disney" version Medieval city where Pinon is the blacksmith and the Pirate runs the bar. It will show some more dancing, last chance for a little fanservice, some Ledo voice over about the importance of "society") Amy calling to him, their holding hands, before ending with the pan up ending with a focus on the evening star over the reds and purples of the sun setting over the ocean.

O-shi-mai.

Beautiful ending, buuuuutttt...
I begin to wonder if Ledo decides to go back to Avalon to tell the truth about Hideuze and sorta. If his character would really "develope" he would also care about those people who was left there, that they didn`t know why they fighting for and open their eyes that their society isn`t healthy and such :'D.
I understand why people complain about this series, have hight expectation for it (mostly because they think that Urobutchi make it). Its a little rushed also there is too many threads in this series. First it begun with human vs aliens then humans vs evolved humans and now its human against machine. Too many themes here, it needs solid center. It could be better if they extent series for more episodes or make sequel and put there some of it, maybe it wouldn`t be so rushed. Although I didn`t mind anvillicious message of this show. I really enjoyed it and I`m rather positive. Simplicity sometimes is the best, because people like to complicate many things :').
Jun 23, 2013 3:28 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode.
Jun 23, 2013 3:29 PM

Jul 2008
eminagnam said:
What was the point of the religious sacrifice? I expected something like Logan's Run though. Also wonder what happened to him. It wasn't explained.

because it rained - i think?
Jun 23, 2013 3:41 PM

Feb 2011
Dat animation was glorious. Just magnificent , maybe one of the best anime of spring 2013.
Jun 23, 2013 3:41 PM
Oct 2010
johnkx said:
eminagnam said:
What was the point of the religious sacrifice? I expected something like Logan's Run though. Also wonder what happened to him. It wasn't explained.

Nah I think it was just an "acceptable" way to do the culling of the weak like the galactic alliance does. They just disguised what they are truly doing by portraying it as a religious ceremony. Hence ledo's flash back to this little brother.
Jun 23, 2013 3:42 PM
Oct 2012
Fai said:
[You are going off on assumption that Alliance's crusade is more rational and justified, except we don't know that. Every example provided seems to point to the same "Human be superior" utalitarian kind of thinking being the cause of it.

Cult is as rational as Alliance was. For Ledo its nothing different than the world he lived in (throwing humans into sea, throwing them into space, etc)

Mind you Ledo MADE his choice when he still thought its Kugel himself. And this choice would be impossible without the character growth and development he went through in an entire show. By such a simple trail of thought, we can already see that there WAS character growth, simply because Ledo from the start of the show, would NOT make those decisions.

Calling this show simple just proves it went over your head.

I love how hard you are trying to find meaning when there is none.

Nope, no assumption on my part. Never said anything about the war being rational and just. All we need to know is that the Hideauze exists for the Alliance to be more rational than this Cult, because the Cult literally has nothing to support it.

Here's a quick question: if you were given the choice between living in a fascist dictatorship as you imagine the Alliance to be (it is probably a waste of time to point out how hypocritical you are here) OR in a theocratic dictatorship as the Cult has been shown, which would you choose to live in?

No weaseling, this is an either/or question. Answer truthfully. Because the truth will show how little your "development" is worth and of course will put to lie your assertion that Ledo could not made a choice without this so called "development".

As I pointed out last week, this show is too simple. The lessons obvious. Leave it to this show to create one society that was even worse than the Alliance, in doing so they completely undermined any claim to "development" and meaning.
Takuan_SohoJun 23, 2013 3:46 PM
Jun 23, 2013 3:48 PM

Jan 2012
Ya it was pretty much predictable that the colonel was dead, his personality on earth and when saving ledo was much too different.
Jun 23, 2013 3:53 PM

May 2009
OutlawJess said:
So is it safe to say 2nd season for Gargantia?

Nope. Story will be complete. OVA 1 in September.
Jun 23, 2013 3:56 PM

May 2009
The last episode is gonna be a trainwreck no matter what. Way too many things to resolve in only 23 minutes.

They shouldn't have spent so much time on transvestites and fanservice. Such a shame.
Jun 23, 2013 3:56 PM

Jan 2012
Chamber has become one of my favorite companion AI's in fiction similar to Jarvis from Iron man. Even tho he is a machine he doesn't seem as cold and calculating as the striker, living among the humans and helping them probably helped with that. Even when he killed the hideaze he didn't kill out of bloodshed and calculation, his explanation was quite good.
Jun 23, 2013 3:59 PM

Jul 2007
Takuan_Soho said:

I love how hard you are trying to find meaning when there is none.

Fallacious logical fallacy is fallacious.

Takuan_Soho said:

Nope, no assumption on my part. Never said anything about the war being rational and just. All we need to know is that the Hideauze exists for the Alliance to be more rational than this Cult, because the Cult literally has nothing to support it.

Replace hideauze with whalesquids/ignorance/normalhumans/gargantia and you have exactly same thing. The target does not matter as its just motivation, just like with most of utalitarian empires.
Takuan_Soho said:

Here's a quick question: if you were given the choice between living in a fascist dictatorship as you imagine the Alliance to be (it is probably a waste of time to point out how hypocritical you are here) OR in a theocratic dictatorship as the Cult has been shown, which would you choose to live in?

I would say that there's no difference in between. The said fascist dictatorship Alliance is based upon was also obsessed with cults and occultism overall(more notable examples being volkisch movement). Both choices are exactly equal in their portrayal and behavior. Both are utilitarian societies based on Darwinism, preaching superiority of human race, getting rid of the week,relying on unwavering loyalty of every individual, denying the idea of individual and implying that individual is only worth existing as long as its useful to themachine as a whole.

Both alliance and Striker-cult are just that - a cult, just with different "gods", yet identical methods. Everything cult displayed is in line with Alliance mentality, just via less complex propaganda. In fact most of those methods were something Ledo argued Gargantia should strive towards at the start of the show and through every single episode we have seen Ledo's utalitarian brainwashing being challenged by the way gargantia lives, to the point that when he is faced with the way Alliance lived, it comes off as a total opposite from what he learned and experienced. He even pretty much equates cult to the alliance during bickering with Striker this episode.

IF Alliance is Nazi Germany, then Striker-Cult is KKK.

Through the show Ledo learned the value of individuality, the value of human life, the meaning behind existence beyond utility value of one being. He is still a soldier, but the reasons he is fighting for are incredibly different when compared to the ones he had at the start.

We started with a man who could not care less for his own existence or the prize/avalon, the man who questioned the very idea of human nature and ended up with a man who is capable of delivering a very emotinal response against the very same robotic logic he used to have himself. Who actually has emotions when interacting with people.
AhenshihaelJun 23, 2013 4:02 PM
Jun 23, 2013 4:00 PM
Oct 2012
skudoops said:
johnkx said:
eminagnam said:

Nah I think it was just an "acceptable" way to do the culling of the weak like the galactic alliance does. They just disguised what they are truly doing by portraying it as a religious ceremony. Hence ledo's flash back to this little brother.

I agree that this was probably the intent, but just going on the show, last episode they showed the victims bound and sitting and many other people looked as if they were praying to them. Also they looked very happy, as if they were being martyred. The faces also were not all "weak", some were old, but one in particular was young. So we have no idea if they were merely eliminating the "weak" or if this cult was like the Aztecs, honestly believing that their sacrifice was needed to influence the weather (in this case make it rain). Don't forget that rain is supposed to be rare on this planet (episode 4, which they showed - though they immediately contradicted this in episode 5 (where they wasted water as if they were in Lake Superior))) - it is a typical ploy of religions to claim that all benefits flow from God, so in establishing the religion this would be perfectly natural.

In checking episode 11 about the victims, I reviewed with Pirate Woman said next, about how the Cult would break up the fleet to prevent an "insurgency" and how Pinion should not hang out with his former shipmates, yet what do we have this episode? Pinion conspiring openly with his shipmates. I really wish just once this show would show some consistency from one episode to the next.
Jun 23, 2013 4:04 PM

Jan 2012
there has to be a season 2 if they actually want to develop the world and setting further. They will mostly likely end with ledo living on earth free with gargantia and not dealing with the galactic alliance. I don't see them doing anything too deep in the next episode. It will be chamber and ledo winning using some deus ex machina maybe and thats that.
Jun 23, 2013 4:04 PM

Jan 2010
And the Key????

AHHH! It's for Tauburn! Cuz ya know, it's sexier than Chamber!
"Seize the time, Meribor - live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard.
Jun 23, 2013 4:15 PM

Jan 2013
Sweet ep, but waaaaaaaaaay to much shit to cover in the last one. The commander being dead however was no surprise.
Jun 23, 2013 4:18 PM

Sep 2012
For those saying Ledo would have been killed if he'd gone in the Striker cockpit... maybe, but if he had an override to open the cockpit why not an override code to use the machine? I think the override to open the cockpit was a big ass-pull, did that come from somewhere?

The key is going to be a big ass-pull too...

Sigh. I so wanted to love this series! I thought it would be a thinking person's anime. I enjoy Valvrave but that one has gone from silly to deconstruction so thinking about it is actually alright. I will try to just sit back and enjoy the last episode of Gargantia and not worry about the ass-pulls...

More coming but just OVA1 in BD Box 1 in August and OVA2 in BD Box 3 in October, assuming they aren't delayed further.
hpulleyJun 23, 2013 4:22 PM
Jun 23, 2013 4:18 PM

Jan 2012
RedArmyShogun said:
Sweet ep, but waaaaaaaaaay to much shit to cover in the last one. The commander being dead however was no surprise.

I think this series has enough potential to have huge amounts of lore and a expansive universe similar to star wars, mass effect, etc. but its a shame they won't expand on it.
Jun 23, 2013 4:25 PM

Jul 2007
hpulley said:
For those saying Ledo would have been killed if he'd gone in the Striker cockpit... maybe, but if he had an override to open the cockpit why not an override code to use the machine? I think the override to open the cockpit was a big ass-pull, did that come from somewhere?

THe way I see it, that was just Striker trolling Ledo - as you had a weird short pause before Ledo's request was granted.
Jun 23, 2013 4:31 PM

Jan 2012
So much Sumerian and Illuminati symbolism in this episode it's beyond belief.
Jun 23, 2013 4:35 PM
Oct 2012
Fai said:
Fallacious logical fallacy is fallacious.

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Fai said:
Replace hideauze with whalesquids/ignorance/normalhumans/gargantia and you have exactly same thing.

You are lucky that there is no such thing as an assumption muscle, otherwise you would have torn it by now.

Fai said:
The target does not matter as its just motivation, just like with most of utalitarian empires.

I have to admire the way you can make universals out of non-existent things. Soviet Russia, Maoist China, Nazi Germany, Fascist Italy, Capitalistic US (though one of these things don't belong with the others, now which?) are not utilitarian states. There has never been a state that prided itself on its "utility".

Fai said:
I would say that there's no difference in between. The said fascist dictatorship Alliance is based upon was also obsessed with cults and occultism overall(more notable examples being volkisch movement).

Weaseling I see. The "Vokisch Movement" was not a cult, nor was it obsessed with occultism. The Nazis were, but the Nazi's were not a fascist dictatorship. The reason you can "see no difference" (though that you won't answer shows that you can) is because you are lumping things you don't like together with no understanding of their differences.

Fai said:
Both choices are exactly equal in their portrayal and behavior. Both are utilitarian societies based on Darwinism, preaching superiority of human race,

Uhm, no. "Us" vs "them" isn't Darwinism.

Fai said:
getting rid of the week, relying on unwavering loyalty of every individual, denying the idea of individual and implying that individual is only worth existing as long as its useful to themachine as a whole.

Actually the Pirate queen said that the Cult was extremely "fair". Hell, they don't even have money. Also, why are you assuming that those they sacrificed for "rain" were "weak"? Given their happy expressions it looked as if they volunteered for this "honor".

Fai said:
Both alliance and Striker-cult are just that - a cult

Define a cult. Of is it like "fascism" to you, a word for something you don't like? Though I have to admit there is a certain appeal to your way of thinking, it is so easy. Why know the differences, just lump them all together.

Fai said:
IF Alliance is Nazi Germany, then Striker-Cult is KKK.

So the moral of this show, according to you is: "Don't be a Nazi".

In short, you have proved my point. This show is too simplistic.
Jun 23, 2013 4:43 PM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
1. Humans make super-humans (hideauze)
2. Then they think they are dangerous
3. Then they try to kill them
4. Force into human minds that hideauze are monsters
5. Someone finds out the truth
6. The one who knows truth must be removed to keep the secret

Well.. isnt that how current society works?
Jun 23, 2013 4:47 PM

Jun 2011
I really hope this anime gets a second season at this point.
Maybe the key will lead to the ending?

5/5 This week.

Jun 23, 2013 4:57 PM

Sep 2012
Fai said:
hpulley said:

THe way I see it, that was just Striker trolling Ledo - as you had a weird short pause before Ledo's request was granted.
Really? A trolling robot suit would give away its secret??? Maybe but that won't make me feel any better about this show...
Jun 23, 2013 4:58 PM

Feb 2013
Finally an episode you can really sink your teeth into!

Everything that has happened so far has come to this. Gargantia is finally making the move to make some changes and take a stand. The humans aren't crazy about this new order and start a rebellion headed by Pinion and Rakkage. For the first time in the show, Pinion isn't a douchebag and is actually doing really well. I guess all he needed was a new hairstyle, which I have to say makes him look ten times better. He's almost in bishie territory now.

Red has been battling against his ingrained training and has finally come to the decision that what his Commander is doing is wrong. He decides to fight against him instead, and Chamber decides to follow as his pilot decides, basing it on the logic that what the Commander is doing doesn't follow along with Alliance regulations.

And thus begins the most epic of fights as Chamber and Striker go head to head, while Pinion and Rakkage take care of things on the ground. Red is able to pin his leader, only to find out what I and many others guessed last week: Kugel has been dead for some time and Striker has been the one truly running the show. This begs the question of whether Striker's wiring has gone haywire or if the AI has become independent and is following her own plan? Either way, it has shocked Red to the core and he looks like her is out for mecha "blood" next week.

So what will be the thrilling conclusion to this tale and will it be a happy victory? Or will Striker's attack cause a great loss of life?

I give this episode a 8.7/10. The end of this show is deciding not to be a disappointment, and I'm glad for that.
Jun 23, 2013 5:00 PM

Jan 2009
A.I. versus mankind lol
Jun 23, 2013 5:09 PM

Oct 2010
TWISTED PLOT WAT.
Jun 23, 2013 5:18 PM

Jan 2012
What if the reason the war is still going on is because of twisted AI that still follow the original galactic alliance principles even after all these years?
Jun 23, 2013 5:24 PM

Jun 2013
Pinion and Rackage make a beautiful romantic couple. ;)
Jun 23, 2013 5:40 PM

Jul 2012
Now that is how a mech battle is done. F**k yeah! Haven't enjoyed a mech battle this much since Evangelion.
Wecc said:
All Hail HaXXspetten King of the Loli Traps!

Jun 23, 2013 5:40 PM

Mar 2013
Mam-ii said:
I think Pinion is gonna die tbh :3

Pinion will a great hero... the savior of Gargantia!
Jun 23, 2013 5:42 PM

May 2010
Robot gone rouge? huh,
Jun 23, 2013 6:06 PM

Jan 2013
Lol those Dynasty Lobsters
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jun 23, 2013 6:29 PM

Jan 2012
I think Chamber wasted most of his power on that last push.
Jun 23, 2013 6:39 PM

Jul 2012
In the end, it's all "shounen fight the boss" again I guess, with the help of his friend Ledo defeat the evil force and they live happy ever after....Oh who I am kidding? It's UroButcher, I expect space squid or alliance, maybe both in the final episode.
Jun 23, 2013 6:39 PM

Nov 2009
huehue93 said:
I think Chamber wasted most of his power on that last push.

The key will help to recharge chamber's energy i think.
Anw good episode, so in the end Ledo's commander was dead and they were all just striker decision.
Jun 23, 2013 6:40 PM

May 2009
Hydnlife said:
Robot gone rouge? huh,

ROGUE
Jun 23, 2013 6:49 PM
Jun 2012
Well I wasn't surprised that the commander was dead.

I'm actually wondering if the Galactic Alliance might be controlled by AI to begin with. When they show the young humans in tubes and all having white hair it makes me think that they are all clones. I think humans did go out in space and did fight, but eventually had control taken away from them from AI.

Remember the first ep. Ledo survived the battles long enough to be granted shore leave on whats suppoose to be the Galactic Alliances eutopia. There you are granted the freedoms of food, sleep, and sex. I think once you go there, the AI takes a copy of your DNA and then kills you. That DNA is put in a large database to be used for the next generation of clones. That way, only the DNA of the"strong" who survived that long in the war will be in the next generation of humans. In a way the AI isn't lying. They use your DNA (sex). They probably feed you while they use you, (food). Then they put you to sleep by killing you, (sleep). The AI fulfills every one of its promises, from the standpoint of the AI. If you remember, when he was asked, Ledo had no idea what he would do if the war ended. It was a concept that he had never even considered. I think that is a strong hint to the AI control because humans generally fight wars with the goal of ending the war. Thats usually the most important thing on a persons mind. Ledo acts like he was raised by a computer.

In the first ep we saw a big space station, first undamaged, and then destroyed. I think all of that is the 100% truth and I think those shots are from the past, and the point where the AI took over the humans. From that point on, the AI took the instructions they had been given and came up with their own interpretation of them. From there they just used humans as tools to further their war on the "squids."

On a last note towards AI control, it seems that the AI has some function that lets it surpress human free will. We all saw how most of the people in that cult acted like they were half asleep.
Jun 23, 2013 6:59 PM

Jan 2013
bastek66 said:
OutlawJess said:
So is it safe to say 2nd season for Gargantia?

Nope. Story will be complete. OVA 1 in September.

Thats a bummer but then people might not be happy with open ending and have to wait for next season
Jun 23, 2013 7:09 PM
Oct 2012
Darkmatterx76 said:
Well I wasn't surprised that the commander was dead.

I'm actually wondering if the Galactic Alliance might be controlled by AI to begin with. When they show the young humans in tubes and all having white hair it makes me think that they are all clones. I think humans did go out in space and did fight, but eventually had control taken away from them from AI.

Remember the first ep. Ledo survived the battles long enough to be granted shore leave on whats suppoose to be the Galactic Alliances eutopia. There you are granted the freedoms of food, sleep, and sex. I think once you go there, the AI takes a copy of your DNA and then kills you. That DNA is put in a large database to be used for the next generation of clones. That way, only the DNA of the"strong" who survived that long in the war will be in the next generation of humans. In a way the AI isn't lying. They use your DNA (sex). They probably feed you while they use you, (food). Then they put you to sleep by killing you, (sleep). The AI fulfills every one of its promises, from the standpoint of the AI. If you remember, when he was asked, Ledo had no idea what he would do if the war ended. It was a concept that he had never even considered. I think that is a strong hint to the AI control because humans generally fight wars with the goal of ending the war. Thats usually the most important thing on a persons mind. Ledo acts like he was raised by a computer.

In the first ep we saw a big space station, first undamaged, and then destroyed. I think all of that is the 100% truth and I think those shots are from the past, and the point where the AI took over the humans. From that point on, the AI took the instructions they had been given and came up with their own interpretation of them. From there they just used humans as tools to further their war on the "squids."

On a last note towards AI control, it seems that the AI has some function that lets it surpress human free will. We all saw how most of the people in that cult acted like they were half asleep.

That is not a bad idea, and it would be an interesting twist. The two problems that I can see is first that if true Chamber would never have agreed to fight Stryker. The AI's would never give that much power over to a human. The second would be that we couldn't really learn this since the Alliance is several thousand light years away, the show would have to be reveal this through a long video sequence similar to how the "past" was explained. You can get away with that in episode 10, doing it in the final episode would be horrifically anti-climatic.

That said, they did make a point about the vacuous stare of the cult members, so an explanation for this and why so many were willing to be sacrificed would be nice. The problem with this (which I guess would be the third one), is that this show seldom explains anything, it has constantly said things that were then forgotten and contradicted as if they were never said, so I doubt that they are going to start being rational now.
Jun 23, 2013 7:26 PM

Apr 2010
Wow, I certainly didn't expect that at the end! Great episode :)

"Can you feel that hybrid rainbow?"
Jun 23, 2013 7:30 PM

Dec 2012
That AI has gone rogue! I was somewhat surprised that the commander was dead. In all honesty, I thought that his death was a feasible option but I never imagined it to be actually true.

We should bow down to machines as obviously they are going to become the rulers of mankind :L
Jun 23, 2013 7:39 PM

Jan 2011
Striker pls would had sucked if Chamber sided with her earth pretty much would had been fucked.
Jun 23, 2013 7:49 PM

Mar 2009
Well, those who predicted Kugel was dead and Striker was running amok totally called it! I wasn't totally surprised but I was kind of hoping Kugel was alive. It would have been two humans of the same origins fighting over two totally different sets of ideals. The rogue AL feels a little disappointing. Unless we can infer the Galactic Alliance simply became as extreme as the Hideauze they fought.

So one side lost the need for human intelligence along with their human form and became danger space monsters. The other side kept their human forms and became little more than the machines they relied on.

At this point I do have to wonder if the GA created an AI program so complex it ended up making the decisions humans would have made. Humans still exist but they're no longer pulling the strings or the highest ranking GA members are little more than AI mouth pieces. Kinda like Psycho-Pass' Sybil system but way more extreme.

I find it creepy how Striker strove to keep Kugel's body intact and how it simply disintegrated as soon as the cockpit was opened. She sure wasn't lying about him never being able to leave it. I wonder if he was killed while going through the wormhole or if he simply died before someone could find his mech.

Darkmatterx76 said:
I think once you go there, the AI takes a copy of your DNA and then kills you. That DNA is put in a large database to be used for the next generation of clones. That way, only the DNA of the"strong" who survived that long in the war will be in the next generation of humans. In a way the AI isn't lying. They use your DNA (sex). They probably feed you while they use you, (food). Then they put you to sleep by killing you, (sleep).

That logic seems a bit odd.

One, it would be a massive waste of perfectly good resources. If your soldiers earn the right to visit Avalon that means they are extremely useful. Killing them when they are sixteen means you've just lost a human could have fought on for at least a few more decades. That DNA is important for the next generation but they take time to raise. It's been shown via Ledo's memories and some supplemental material that these child soldiers are grown naturally and do attend military school. Kill them too young and the population might not have time to replenish itself. In war raw manpower is just as important as capable warriors.

Two, if soldiers are killed when they are old enough to reproduce how would that explain Kugel? He's clearly much older than Ledo and is a commanding officer. If we go by your theory (as you've presented it) he should have died a long time ago.

Three, if they are all just clones why even bother taking said clone's DNA? The master copy of the said DNA could be replicated over and over again. In other words, the AI has all the genetic material it needs. Everyone comes from a single pool of genes. It wouldn't need more of the SAME EXACT DNA from the humans.
Jun 23, 2013 7:51 PM
Oct 2012
enviKwu said:
That AI has gone rogue!

We should bow down to machines as obviously they are going to become the rulers of mankind :L

People keep saying this, but we don't have a shred of evidence that this is the case. We don't know if Stryker is attempting to carry out Kugel's final order, or if Stryker went insane when it's pilot died, or if Stryker is honestly trying to carry out the programming it received from the Alliance, or even that it is earnest about wanting to help humanity but failed because it could only think according to what it learned from human history.

We do know that Chamber was willing to fight Stryker with no real evidence and on instructions from Ledo, so this would suggest that there is no machine "plot" against humanity, that the "machines" are not the rulers of mankind, but rather still their servants.

Unless of course those people going on about how Ledo "develop" want to make the case that Chamber also has similarly "developed".

The sad thing is that we may not get an explanation why Stryker did what it did. This show has been long on intriguing concepts, short on actual explanations or development of these concepts from the beginning. Given that there is only one episode left (assuming that the OVA is not the true ending), then "going rogue" is the least likely explanation, since it would take the longest to explain.
Jun 23, 2013 7:57 PM
Oct 2012
silver_huskey said:
Three, if they are all just clones why even bother taking said clone's DNA? The master copy of the said DNA could be replicated over and over again. In other words, the AI has all the genetic material it needs. Everyone comes from a single pool of genes. It wouldn't need more of the SAME EXACT DNA from the humans.

You raise some interesting points, so I am just arguing for the fun of it (and I hope it is fun for you as well!), but you are assuming that all the clones are from the same "master" copy. That is not necessarily true. There could be multiple root stock, the AI may be randomly pairing this multiple roots either to find a particular mutation, or still be in the midst of winnowing down human genes to the "best" one.

The first one I think would be the more likely. People often get evolution backwards. The goal isn't to have a single perfect gene, but rather to have the largest possible pool to draw from because we never know what the future has in store.
Jun 23, 2013 8:03 PM

Feb 2011
Well at least this anime is finally almost over.
Jun 23, 2013 8:08 PM

Sep 2012
Him being dead not surprising but I didn't see the falling head coming. -_-
Jun 23, 2013 8:08 PM

Jan 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
enviKwu said:
That AI has gone rogue!

People keep saying this, but we don't have a shred of evidence that this is the case. We don't know if Stryker is attempting to carry out Kugel's final order, or if Stryker went insane when it's pilot died, or if Stryker is honestly trying to carry out the programming it received from the Alliance, or even that it is earnest about wanting to help humanity but failed because it could only think according to what it learned from human history.

We do know that Chamber was willing to fight Stryker with no real evidence and on instructions from Ledo, so this would suggest that there is no machine "plot" against humanity, that the "machines" are not the rulers of mankind, but rather still their servants.

Unless of course those people going on about how Ledo "develop" want to make the case that Chamber also has similarly "developed".

The sad thing is that we may not get an explanation why Stryker did what it did. This show has been long on intriguing concepts, short on actual explanations or development of these concepts from the beginning. Given that there is only one episode left (assuming that the OVA is not the true ending), then "going rogue" is the least likely explanation, since it would take the longest to explain.

This, as I said before the series has huge potential for a big plotline but without a 2nd season I think all we will get is a "happy" end with ledo living on earth with the whole war and all the concepts put aside.
Jun 23, 2013 8:19 PM

Jul 2007
enviKwu said:
That AI has gone rogue! I was somewhat surprised that the commander was dead. In all honesty, I thought that his death was a feasible option but I never imagined it to be actually true.

I am thinking its not even "going rogue" - I think that's how Alliance is being run all this time. By an AI.

Also the one way to solve the alliance problem is for Striker to reveal that it was not 6 months, but 60 years and that during that time Machine Caliber AIs most likely would gotten rid of the rest of humanity in Alliance too.

Takuan_Soho said:

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Should I put tin layman's terms for you? Its a logic that is wrong. in this case your pointless assumption that there's no point in anything, which you keep bringing up as a given, without an actual proof of it being so.

Takuan_Soho said:

I have to admire the way you can make universals out of non-existent things. Soviet Russia, Maoist China, Nazi Germany, Fascist Italy, Capitalistic US (though one of these things don't belong with the others, now which?) are not utilitarian states. There has never been a state that prided itself on its "utility".

And yet one could argue that that's EXACTLY where every authoritarian empire would be going, had it survived~ strange, I know.

Takuan_Soho said:

Weaseling I see.

Certainly better than your bullshitting and ranting.

Takuan_Soho said:
The "Vokisch Movement" was not a cult, nor was it obsessed with occultism.

Volkish movement was a bunch of wannabe pagans who wanted to be pagans without paganism being involved. They ended up being main inspiration for nazi regime.

Takuan_Soho said:
The Nazis were, but the Nazi's were not a fascist dictatorship. The reason you can "see no difference" (though that you won't answer shows that you can) is because you are lumping things you don't like together with no understanding of their differences.

Or maybe I am having an thing called different opinion from your narrow-minded definition of this show.

And there's no real difference between nazism and fascism - its same kind of nationalism-based racist regime, except that Nazis also borrowed a bit of socialist ideas.
Takuan_Soho said:

Uhm, no. "Us" vs "them" isn't Darwinism.

Nope, but "weak serving the strong" surely is. But hey that would go against your rants, so let's ignore that~

Takuan_Soho said:
Actually the Pirate queen said that the Cult was extremely "fair". Hell, they don't even have money.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm
Takuan_Soho said:

Also, why are you assuming that those they sacrificed for "rain" were "weak"? Given their happy expressions it looked as if they volunteered for this "honor".

>blames others about assuming.
>bases his entire argument on a baseless assumption.

The basic logic of how narrative is written indicates that its the same reason, as the narrative uses it to parallel the current events with getting rid of Ledo's brother and flashes of Bevel. If we did not have the flashbacks and establishment of Ledo's society's culture of getting rid of the week and IF we did not know that Striker is part of that culture, your argument would *barely* work. As it stands now, its nothing more than bullshit.

Takuan_Soho said:

Define a cult. Of is it like "fascism" to you, a word for something you don't like? Though I have to admit there is a certain appeal to your way of thinking, it is so easy. Why know the differences, just lump them all together.

EVERY. SINGLE. AUTHORITARIAN. REGIME. is based around worshipping of one or few said people as "gods", complete with ceremonies to honor them. Striker's cult is exact same shit, but on more primitive level.
Takuan_Soho said:
So the moral of this show, according to you is: "Don't be a Nazi".

In short, you have proved my point. This show is too simplistic.

Or, if you did not ignore the entire show, while trying to prove your point - "social interaction, capability of coexistance and human values are what makes us human". But oh well, please keep being delusional and keep throwing strawman arguments trying to prove of how bad the show is, despite being proven wrong every single week.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - Jun 30, 2013

499 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:50 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 16, 2013

261 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:35 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2013

344 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:24 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 2, 2013

667 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:10 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 26, 2013

253 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 6:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.