Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Jun 17, 2013 12:49 PM

Sep 2012
We have to remember too, if Gargantia is brought there then Bebel will be assessed and probably won't be considered fit to join. Death to the useless boy... I can see that spurring Ledo to action even if the re-education duties don't do it at first..
Jun 17, 2013 12:52 PM
Oct 2012
symbv said:
Well, some people pointed out back earlier that Amy's dancing costumes also have vaguely squidish motive, and the master key of Gargantia too. I guess we should also consider that perhaps Gargantia is actually part of a squid cult in disguise too LOL

Well along those lines we also have the daughter of the first hideauze looked far too much like Amy, so this brings up the question as to whether the process is always one way.

Wohoho. Therapy, maybe the end game is to integrate humanity into the hideauze? Only those who can overcome humanity's instinctive hatred (i.e. the hypnotic training) for "the other" can join. That is what Avalon really is. This would explain the "final" attack, why Ledo was the one that Kugel communicated with before it, why Ledo's successful completion meant acceptance into Avalon, why he was spared but managed to barely escape. Why he was shown the whalesquid child, why the video just happened to look like Amy. The Alliance IS the Hideauze. As Kugel said in the first episode, lose here and the war is over. The "Alliance" lost, but Ledo can be saved. He has to overcome his devotion to the "Alliance", he has to learn to accept the Hideauze. "Integration into society" indeed Urabutcher.
Jun 17, 2013 1:37 PM

Mar 2012
I'm sure Ledo won't agree with it..
Keep moving forward
Jun 17, 2013 1:44 PM

Feb 2012
Nice to see Rackage again. I leaning towards the side that say she has some sort of arrangement with the Striker unit/Colonel. I find it hard to believe that the Colonel was on the other side of the planet and had to keep the radio off this whole time.
Jun 17, 2013 2:36 PM
Jun 2013
i like the comments that say that callibers are almost as extreme as the hideauze and reveal a just different perversion of the human purpose, i quite agree. though the animators likely want to emphasize the human vs human illogical conflict. and the "pinnacle of the human intellect and civilization" as the callibers quite arrogantly called them selves, is ultimately a living idea though expressed through a soulless voice, its the very cosmotheory of the alliance that is now being forced by the machines in the new world. well the thing that kugels machine went by itself all nutty-watty apocalypse now colonel i've mentioned it before:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=612763&show=260#post269

but, its still not certain that kugel is dead and the projection is a trick of his calliber. we yet have to know how the pirate queen influenced the striker calliber... (because such a connection is strongly implied...)

and we wait to see if the "romantic side" will win. i hope ledo gets deepper into his existencial concerns, he already made great progress with the time he spent on gargantia. even now that in kugels presense ledo becomes for a short time a cold soldier again, his new self fights to come out though especially as things tighten...

i liked the alegory with the callibers' seats. he got out of the "cocoon", out of his self, out of plato's cave to find the truth that lies beyond the alliance's empty propaganda. his soul thirsts for deeper more satisfying answers. he communicated with people, interacted with them and became more human. the other stayed in there and found ontollogical self destruct. lets see who wins the day...

just a small thought of mine. imagine the callibers with their advanced ai to come to the conclusion that if humans consider these beasts human and stop fighting them they (callibers) will be considered useless and lose purpose of existance cause they existed to fight the hideauze. and by some miraculous algorithmic alchemy these advanced tincans just dont want to die. dont find it "reasonable" or "efficient" to die. they want to "stay alive" and they will cooperate to cease every effort of establishing peace between the sides. (though there are quite many problems with this scenario. the protocols and programming restrictions implemented in them by the alliance. they are warmachines that follow orders. and if their signal needs millenia to reach the allience and probably no help will come, they wont actually have to worry depenting on it anyway)

and we need to learn the true schemes and reasons of the alliance's war and actions in general in the next two episodes...
Jun 17, 2013 2:55 PM

Jun 2013
the queen is back!! oh yeah and what side Ledo will choose?
Jun 17, 2013 4:27 PM

Oct 2011
Ledo is conflicted. After learning the truths and all. Kugal aka Striker is manipulating these people. Follow my rules or die!!! Pinon jumped the bandwagon, same with the other fleet. For safety reasons. Great seeing Pirate Queen and her band of misfits girls. OMG they are gonna wipe out Gargantia as a show of their God like powers!!!! Amy Noo!!!!!

I pray Pinon and crew will somehow disrupt this operation
Jun 17, 2013 6:15 PM

Jun 2011
Am I the only person who likes Gargantia more without Amy?

Jun 17, 2013 7:33 PM

Mar 2013
next episode Ledo vs. Kugel fight
callin' it
Jun 17, 2013 9:43 PM

May 2011
Well, shit's about to go down now with them targeting Gargantia.
Jun 17, 2013 10:18 PM

Mar 2009
Oh hey, the pirate queen exists. Look at that.
Jun 17, 2013 10:19 PM

Mar 2012
SolBlade said:
Am I the only person who likes Gargantia more without Amy?

You're not alone :)
Jun 17, 2013 11:38 PM

Apr 2012
Xodianify said:
Well beyond the concept of emancipation and carving one's own destiny in life, Gargantia has presented the three parts of Freud's psychic apparatus; The Id, The Ego and The Superego.

- The Alliance represents the Superego; The concept of perfection through structural and cultural upbringing which lays its foundation upon set ideals that reject base instincts. However, in rejecting those instincts, we reject a core part of our own selves and become slaves to an ideal rather than that ideal serving our individual purposes.

- The Hideozu represent the Id; The base instincts... The monsters under the bed... The animal in us all. Hideozu work only on desires and wants and care not for long term repercussions of such actions. While living in such a state can be liberating, its obvious that negating personal responsibilities for pleasure leads towards disastrous results.

- The people of Gargantia represent the Ego; They seek to please the Id in a realistic manner; By living in a state which allows them to prosper as well create a harmonious system with other living things.

lol wut. I think you are over-analyzing this anime. This isn't Evangelion or Ergo Proxy.

Jun 17, 2013 11:54 PM
Nov 2007
It is starting to be obvious what will happen....let hope it isn't like game of throne where shit happen just because the author like to screw with you haha.
Jun 18, 2013 1:07 AM

Mar 2013
This was a nice episode.
I feel like something bad is gonna happen soon....not just about Gargantia but more like Ledo and his captain.
Jun 18, 2013 3:36 AM
Jul 2018

WHAAAAAAT? What did Gargantia did?! >___<
Kugel's fleet is practicing cult. What the hell is wrong is with him?
I hope Ledo will snap out of him.
Jun 18, 2013 4:32 AM
Jun 2008
The cult symbol remind me of this

Slightly different but its very similar.

First time I saw Ledo smile during the time He left those Pinion xD
Jun 18, 2013 9:41 AM

Mar 2012
Great episode. Lot's of revelations. They've done very well with Ledo's characterization: he is still conflicted, not swaying too far in any one direction. Favorite moment was when Chamber agreed with the analysis and Ledo was like: "You do?" Obviously he is beginning to question everything, even his reliance on Chamber.

Really looking forward to the finale, though I don't see how they'll wrap it all up without another season...
Let's go bowling.
Jun 18, 2013 10:13 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

For now I just say that I liked the episode! XD
Jun 18, 2013 11:14 AM

May 2010
so the cult is like the borg? they assimilate everyone and throw away what is not needed?
Jun 18, 2013 12:28 PM

Sep 2011
silver_huskey said:
[img]http://www.theicecave.org/temp/gargantia-ep1-Kugel06.jpg[img]

Here is the complete conversation, hidden under the spoiler button so the other users don't get a large image dump:

Yay now i dont have to look back at episode 1. I def thought what he said to Ledo was kinda weird.
With all the stuff that happen and said in this episode kinda makes me wonder when the Ledo vs Kugel(?) actually happen, when Ledo beats or sacrifice himself to beat Kugel(?); will the cult run like a bunch headless chickens after seeing their so called "divine being" destroyed?
Brigs77Jun 18, 2013 12:31 PM
Jun 18, 2013 12:38 PM

Mar 2009
Hydnlife said:
so the cult is like the borg? they assimilate everyone and throw away what is not needed?

Pretty much!
Jun 18, 2013 12:50 PM

Jul 2011
not a troll, but i must say that the only good episodes from this anime is only episode 1,2, and 9
:'(
There are lots of development and we learn something new again. but... the execution makes it sooo boring. Urobuchi will be the writer for next episode right? I hope suddenly it becomes mindblowing.
Jun 18, 2013 1:06 PM

Oct 2012
millo said:
not a troll, but i must say that the only good episodes from this anime is only episode 1,2, and 9
:'(
There are lots of development and we learn something new again. but... the execution makes it sooo boring. Urobuchi will be the writer for next episode right? I hope suddenly it becomes mindblowing.

I completely agree.
Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
Jun 2013
Zeally said:

lol wut. I think you are over-analyzing this anime. This isn't Evangelion or Ergo Proxy.

Says who? Keep in mind that this anime was made by the creators of Psycho Pass and there is a lot of content worth discussing in that anime.

The content of an anime means different things to different people but from my experience with watching anime in general I have see that quite a lot of them openly present scenarios and topics that a lot of other media forms tend to shy away from; Either because of the complexity of the issue or because of controversial reasons.

That is why I love watching anime.
Jun 18, 2013 6:02 PM

Aug 2008
Well it's been made incredibly clear where the conflict in this show is coming from. While Ledo has spent plenty of time outside of Chamber, mingling and understanding the Earthlings; Kugel is pure Galactic Alliance. I have no idea what virus he could've contracted, but I see he hasn't soaked in any of the world around him. It's pretty sad. I'd like to see a peaceful conclusion, but with all these guns being brandished, and two all powerful mechs now in the serie, I doubt we'll get that conclusion.

Also, who knew Pinion would be so level headed and useful near the end of the series?

Oh and that entrance was amazing.
Jun 18, 2013 7:13 PM

Dec 2011
I am really interested in this development. Kugel wants to instill terror to people, and to do that he intends to destroy Gargantia! Damn.

I wonder what will Ledo do now... and Pinion will sure learn the technology to create robots.

Really excited on how will this show end.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 19, 2013 2:57 AM

Apr 2009
Whoa, Kugel was practically running a communist regime in his fleet. Complete with a cult of "personality" around his Machine Caliber, Striker. Never thought the Galactic Alliance of Humanity subscribed to the tenets of the reds, but it does kinda make sense now seeing as it has always exhorted work and personal sacrifice for the greater good to the extremes. I knew they had a utilitarian society and totalitarian government, but I thought they'd be more of the right-wing type.

Anyway, this is setting up for some major conflict with Ledo going to have to "preach" to his former colleagues and friends on the Gargantia, his first home on Earth. As a soldier, firmly opposing his superior would constitute insubordination, and being the lifelong soldier that he is would be a major inner conflict for him. Not to mention Chamber is hard-wired (or hard-coded, if you prefer) to reinforce the propaganda of the Galactic Alliance on its pilots, so he can't count on his Machine Caliber for help either, if he has to resist following orders.

Now I see where this anime is going with the story. They wanted to setup society as it is known on Gargantia as the "third way" to promote coexistence between the conflicting philosophies and politics of the Galactic Alliance and the Hideauze. Basically, they stand for coexistence instead of all-out genocide over the difference in beliefs of the other.
Jun 19, 2013 4:58 AM

Dec 2011
So it's finally come to the crux of the story.

The choice.

Your loyalty to your commander and all that you have been brought up to believe is right, or Gargantia and all that it represents. The easier option would be the former, but events would push him towards the latter.

Both sides would not just want but expect Ledo to support them.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jun 19, 2013 11:04 AM

Jun 2012
kuuderes_shadow said:
So it's finally come to the crux of the story.

The choice.

Your loyalty to your commander and all that you have been brought up to believe is right, or Gargantia and all that it represents. The easier option would be the former, but events would push him towards the latter.

Both sides would not just want but expect Ledo to support them.

^Well said.
Interesting, how this will turn out.

Jun 19, 2013 1:57 PM

May 2007
Got round to catching with this series, 4 episodes back to back, showed just how much the series changed and very quickly might I add, it has attained the thrill it had back in the first few episodes.

However, with the current situation looking like it will turn very sour soon, I am wondering how they will be able to come to a conclusion in the last 2 episodes, suggesting the battle will not be a long one but quite possibly end up with Ledo doing something akin to a kamikaze, since the Striker model for Kugel most probably is a superior model to Ledo's Chamber.

Damn, Rackage's entrance in episode 11 was kinda funny and odd, she obviously is living under fear with Kugel as the main honcho around. I reckon next episode will be a blast.
Jun 19, 2013 8:38 PM

Sep 2011
What the... So Kugel is creating a communist paradise? What the bloody hell!

Wow... Hope this ends well, only 2 more episodes to go

SayakaMagica said:
Whoa, Kugel was practically running a communist regime in his fleet. Complete with a cult of "personality" around his Machine Caliber, Striker. Never thought the Galactic Alliance of Humanity subscribed to the tenets of the reds, but it does kinda make sense now seeing as it has always exhorted work and personal sacrifice for the greater good to the extremes. I knew they had a utilitarian society and totalitarian government, but I thought they'd be more of the right-wing type.

Anyway, this is setting up for some major conflict with Ledo going to have to "preach" to his former colleagues and friends on the Gargantia, his first home on Earth. As a soldier, firmly opposing his superior would constitute insubordination, and being the lifelong soldier that he is would be a major inner conflict for him. Not to mention Chamber is hard-wired (or hard-coded, if you prefer) to reinforce the propaganda of the Galactic Alliance on its pilots, so he can't count on his Machine Caliber for help either, if he has to resist following orders.

Now I see where this anime is going with the story. They wanted to setup society as it is known on Gargantia as the "third way" to promote coexistence between the conflicting philosophies and politics of the Galactic Alliance and the Hideauze. Basically, they stand for coexistence instead of all-out genocide over the difference in beliefs of the other.

summed my thoughts up pretty well, the series is, however, badly paced. A lot of the episodes are very slow and kind of lack the incentive to view the next episode, which is why I pretty much stopped watching it in episode 7, then resumed it...

Howwever, the overall structure of the plot can be seen, the show is well-down, and if you marathon through it, its excellent.

Mod Edit: Please do not double post.
LunaJun 25, 2013 9:13 AM
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Jun 20, 2013 12:12 PM

Nov 2009
huehue93 said:

I found this image someone posted, its hilarious, just thought i would share.

That is just cruel, LOL
Jun 21, 2013 2:56 PM

Jan 2011
Pretty stupid episode if you ask me. This just felt stupid, silly and way too predictable.
What happened to the truly clever stories that I know Urobutcher for lol?
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Jun 21, 2013 3:36 PM

Sep 2011
2 more episodes... There are a lot of ways this could end, I wonder how?

But the pace of the story is way too slow, though this is definitely one of the top mecha series that I have watched.
Jun 21, 2013 10:04 PM

Jul 2009
QUALITY episode
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Jun 22, 2013 8:38 AM
May 2012
Since when Commander Kugel aging so quickly?! His facial hair got grown now I mean did we just saw the 1st episode that he looks kinda younger?
JafriZinJun 22, 2013 8:44 AM
Jun 22, 2013 8:53 AM

Sep 2011
JeffreyZin said:
Since when Commander Kugel aging so quickly?! His facial hair got grown now I mean did we just saw the 1st episode that he looks kinda younger?

Uh... I am very sure that's because the time has passed by 6 months after Ledo crash-landed? He probably used that time to create his cult of personality society
Jun 22, 2013 10:30 AM
May 2012
GodlyKyon said:
Uh... I am very sure that's because the time has passed by 6 months after Ledo crash-landed? He probably used that time to create his cult of personality society

Oh.. Okay.
Jun 22, 2013 1:00 PM
May 2013
When Kugel pointed out Gargantia to Ledo, I whispered, 'fuck no......"
It's the only sacred thing left....I'm so stressed out!!
Jun 22, 2013 1:14 PM

Sep 2011
codydang said:

Pretty much... A paradise of freedom, where everything else is toltalitarian and miserable.

Since he is the commander, he has the authority to make Chamber obey, as well as having a possibly superior weapon... but who knows? The fact that chamber asked for a scan of the medical condition was interesting, maybe it would be used against him later.
Jun 22, 2013 1:15 PM

Apr 2008
GodlyKyon said:
codydang said:

Pretty much... A paradise of freedom, where everything else is toltalitarian and miserable.

Since he is the commander, he has the authority to make Chamber obey, as well as having a possibly superior weapon... but who knows? The fact that chamber asked for a scan of the medical condition was interesting, maybe it would be used against him later.

Or maybe his hunch is true and Kugel is actually dead inside.
Jun 23, 2013 11:56 PM
Aug 2010
What are the chances that the clip of the Gargantia that he showed Ledo would have a very clear and zoomed in shot of Amy? Its almost like Kugel knows what's going on and did that on purpose or something.

Anyways, seems like this will end in a philosophy battle between Kugel and Ledo. There is nothing wrong or evil about Kugel, his views of what makes an efficient and happy society is just different from what most people in America and Japan would agree to, which is made worse by the fact that most people have no idea what the fuck they're talking about so they can't effectively analyze the merits and flaws of his philosophies.

Ledo would had very likely share the same views as Kugel if he hadn't spent all that time on the Gargantia. Like I've been saying, the times he's spent "wasting" on the Gargantia are crucial for his character and philosophical development and his views on life.
Jun 24, 2013 4:17 PM

Jul 2010
Man, I really don't like the look of that place. Really seems like some sort of cult. Even Rackage joined them.

As far as the cliffhanger goes: I knew that was going to happen eventually. He'll have to attack the fleet he lived on and Amy still lives on: Gargantia. The question now is: will he attack them (not likely), or will he mutiny?

Jun 26, 2013 2:24 AM

Jul 2008
Well the line has been drawn now, I have a feeling that this is going to get very ugly.
Jun 26, 2013 1:45 PM

Sep 2012
i had a feeling link was apart of this strange new tribe

man thats savage if they take over Gargantia, very curious of how this series will wrap up, or if a season 2 will just happen.
Jul 10, 2013 11:04 AM

Oct 2011
I have a feeling Kugel might not be alive. Very strange that he lied about the disease and won't show himself to Ledo. Not looking forward to the confrontation with Gargantia, I hope Ledo chooses the right side.
Jul 15, 2013 3:57 PM

Jun 2009
I'm not sure if anyone noticed this but I think that the art is really bad in this episode! I'm a huge fan of Suisei no Gargantia and I watched it since it first aired but I was shocked with this episode, no problems with the plot but the art really put me off since it was so gorgeous in the first episodes so I expected nothing less than top notch animation :/ I hope the remaining two episodes don't disappoint me like this one :(
Aug 10, 2013 12:02 PM

May 2012
He's going back to Gargantia! This time as a hostile perhaps? Either way lets see what happens next!
Aug 27, 2013 7:33 PM

Feb 2010
Creepy cult vibes...
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - Jun 30, 2013

499 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:50 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bastek66 - Jun 23, 2013

340 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:45 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2013

344 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:24 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 2, 2013

667 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:10 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 26, 2013

253 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 6:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.