Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Jun 17, 2013 6:06 AM

Sep 2012
Gen Urobuchi heh... Wonder how many will die.
Jun 17, 2013 6:14 AM

Oct 2012
Zaraquiel99 said:
Ok people, you are givven all the clues, and even then, you can't figure out what happens??

Is easy: Kugel is dead, and his machine caliber is the one making the calls there, do not ask me how can that machine properly work without a piulot, but it's how it is.

I don't think this is true.
- As Chamber said before - those machine calibers aren't programmed to work independently they are merely extension of human powers. This is also their main difference from Hideauze who are single being. And I don't think they are capable of deceit.
- Kugel's hologram seems to be older than Kugel was in first episode. He either went longer through wormhole or he is affected by his long stay in Striker machine interface. He simply made his choice NOT to come out and that helped him out with subjugating those people and their inclusion into his command. He has no need to come out.
- Kugel is older than Ledo. Maybe too old to change his viewpoints. He was following laws of Alliance a lot longer, saw many deaths of his allies and has alliance structure literally imprinted to his way of thinking. He is simply unable to see through it, believe in something else and to abandon it now. That's why he tries to follow Alliance orders even on Earth and that's why he tries to replicate its efficient structure there. And he knew that Hideauze were human in the first place - it was no shock for him them on Earth. Ledo, on the other hand is much younger and still open to reasoning.
Jun 17, 2013 6:16 AM

May 2011
The derp faces in this episode were incredibly entertaining.

Jun 17, 2013 6:20 AM

Apr 2013
Zaraquiel99 said:
Ok people, you are givven all the clues, and even then, you can't figure out what happens??

Is easy: Kugel is dead, and his machine caliber is the one making the calls there, do not ask me how can that machine properly work without a piulot, but it's how it is.
We have the clues for:
1-The suposed "desease" and all the data could have been fake just to bring chamber to her side
2-The hologram, for the inteligence those machines have can use recors and re-create audio logs in a matter of secconds.
3-The comunicate Pinion was obligated to read sounded like written by a machine. I mean "to all my human fellows"? that's the classic singn of a machine passing by a human.
4-Adoctrination trought power not a singel human, doesnt matter how trained in military is would dare to control by power unless he knows he has all the chances of wining. The only way for "Kugel" to be sure about the planet's situation was analazing it for a very long time. Only the machine Caliber could have done that, becouse:
5-Despite being space humans, they still need to eat. That was the main reason Led went out of his cockpit in the first place (chapter 1).
I could go on and on and on.

The personality doesn't also match what we son in episode one when Kugel sacrificed his life to save Ledo despite the fact that it was against military regulations, in fact Ledo wanted to stay behind to save Kugel if I remember.

So yes the Stryker unit is in charge, heck the real Kugel might even be a prisoner of his own mecha.
Jun 17, 2013 6:28 AM

Apr 2013
Mich666 said:
Zaraquiel99 said:

- As Chamber said before - those machine calibers aren't programmed to work independently they are merely extension of human powers. This is also their main difference from Hideauze who are single being. And I don't think they are capable of deceit.
- Kugel's hologram seems to be older than Kugel was in first episode. He either went longer through wormhole or he is affected by his long stay in Striker machine interface. He simply made his choice NOT to come out and that helped him out with subjugating those people and their inclusion into his command. He has no need to come out.
- Kugel is older than Ledo. Maybe too old to change his viewpoints. He was following laws of Alliance a lot longer, saw many deaths of his allies and has alliance structure literally imprinted to his way of thinking. He is simply unable to see through it, believe in something else and to abandon it now. That's why he tries to follow Alliance orders even on Earth and that's why he tries to replicate its efficient structure there. And he knew that Hideauze were human in the first place - it was no shock for him them on Earth. Ledo, on the other hand is much younger and still open to reasoning.

Yes, but in the first episode it was Kugel that dissobeyed Military Protocols to save Ledo which says that in case of retreat the subordinates should allow their superiors to escape first., so He shouldn't be so strick personality type.
Jun 17, 2013 6:34 AM

Jul 2010
meneliksempai said:
Zaraquiel99 said:

We have the clues for:
1-The suposed "desease" and all the data could have been fake just to bring chamber to her side
2-The hologram, for the inteligence those machines have can use recors and re-create audio logs in a matter of secconds.
3-The comunicate Pinion was obligated to read sounded like written by a machine. I mean "to all my human fellows"? that's the classic singn of a machine passing by a human.
4-Adoctrination trought power not a singel human, doesnt matter how trained in military is would dare to control by power unless he knows he has all the chances of wining. The only way for "Kugel" to be sure about the planet's situation was analazing it for a very long time. Only the machine Caliber could have done that, becouse:
5-Despite being space humans, they still need to eat. That was the main reason Led went out of his cockpit in the first place (chapter 1).

The personality doesn't also match what we son in episode one when Kugel sacrificed his life to save Ledo despite the fact that it was against military regulations, in fact Ledo wanted to stay behind to save Kugel if I remember.

So yes the Stryker unit is in charge, heck the real Kugel might even be a prisoner of his own mecha.
I don't think Kugel is dead. If he is, there's no way his machine caliber's intact.

About his endemic disease, Chamber pretty much implied that it's just an excuse by Kugel not to get out of his machine caliber. By reducing the number of people who could directly contact him, the less difficult he would be able to maintain this mysterious aura that could strike fear into his subjects--making it easier to keep them in line.

Jun 17, 2013 7:00 AM

Jan 2010
Just some silly question~
I bit confuse here...Kugel say that he never out...how he get all food and water also how bout toilet??

Or the Machine Caliber is that sort of 'Hako' from Sora wo Kakeru Shoujo??

Jun 17, 2013 7:00 AM

Nov 2009
Interesting episode!!!

As expected, Ledo returns under Colonel Kugel and it seems like he has been infected by a virus which makes sense why he hasn't physically come out of his machine. It was nice to see the new AI striker and things are really beginning to progress. A weird entrance from Pirate Rackage and I'm surprised with the events seen here but things are only getting more complicated when Ledo is told that the large scale mission has the main target of Gargantia much to Ledo's surprise. Pinion seems to be learning something new and I wonder how he will respond to this situation.

Looking forward to see how this development progresses in the next episode!!

5/5

Jun 17, 2013 7:04 AM
May 2012
symbv said:
Don't commit the same mistake as you did for ep.3 when you jumped to conclusion about things you saw/heard in the anime.

Great, Am I too late to reply this? My internet connection is still went crap for me.

I just said anyway, it means back to EP10 topic.

I mean god, what the hell did I just said?! Am I jumped into a conclusion?! that's because I wasn't expect to see that coming until I went apeshit about this at the end of the show.

Damn, I can't believe I've been posted so many rambles that didn't make sense. Probably I was over-reacting too much of what just happened even other Urobutcher show Psycho-Pass felt the same thing till NO one cares.
JafriZinJun 17, 2013 7:11 AM
Jun 17, 2013 7:35 AM

Feb 2010
Zaraquiel99 said:

We have the clues for:

i love this theories.
and this is getting interesting,looking forward to the next episode!

Dota 2 Esports Stories are a fuckin Anime IRL Anime Sports

Jun 17, 2013 7:46 AM

Sep 2012
Mich666 said:
Zaraquiel99 said:

The first and second reasons are what I see commonly used in Japanese forums to support Kugel is not dead theory. And I particularly think the first one to be pretty convincing because the machine repeatedly said that they are a "pilot support system". Some people say that it may have some directive to follow the GA's goal if the pilot is dead but I am not so sure, because it never says it is a "GA support system", and to think that it can develop such a longwinded and intricate hoax to trick everyone from those religious people to Ledo seems a bit farfetched to me.

However, there are also some who argue that perhaps Kugel is mortally wounded or ill and only his brain is active. This is an intriguing idea because this would allow the idea of mecha being a "pilot support system" to stay intact without the mecha becoming independent and fully sentient, and yet can explain why Kugel so reluctant to come out of the cockpit and so keen to use Ledo and his Striker to finish the plan he has in mind.

As for your third reason, I am not sure. I guess we do not have enough information about Kugel's personality to predict how susceptible to GA's ideals are.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jun 17, 2013 7:51 AM

Oct 2012
I knew it.. That pirate lady still alive with her underling ofc
I hope Ledo team up with Gargantia and defeated his upper officer
and hope for battle in next ep...
Just 2 episodes I hope they wrapped it well :)

AoiMizu said:
Just some silly question~
I bit confuse here...Kugel say that he never out...how he get all food and water also how bout toilet??

Never question anime logic xD
"Signature removed"
Jun 17, 2013 7:58 AM

Jan 2010
Ray_Light said:

B-but!! This curiosity will kill me tonight! 0A0''
Is that Machine Caliber really caliber in manage those sort thing too....? >A<''
Ahhhhh!!! I want to know! xD
AoiMizuJun 17, 2013 8:03 AM

Jun 17, 2013 8:07 AM

Oct 2012
aiikyoya said:
Zaraquiel99 said:

We have the clues for:

i love this theories.
and this is getting interesting,looking forward to the next episode!

Learrn hoow 2 speell :)
I like your theory though but it's not going to happen?

AoiMizu said:
Ray_Light said:

B-but!! This curiosity will kill me tonight! 0A0''
Is that Machine Caliber really caliber in manage those sort thing too....>A<''
Ahhhhh!!! I want to know! xD

They had a kind of food for 'Astro Soldier'?
Some nutrient that enough for loooong time
or the Machine Caliber can cook and have a toilet inside? xD
Good luck surviving tonight!
"Signature removed"
Jun 17, 2013 8:08 AM
Oct 2012
Xodianify said:
Well beyond the concept of emancipation and carving one's own destiny in life, Gargantia has presented the three parts of Freud's psychic apparatus; The Id, The Ego and The Superego.

A month and a half or so back I suggested that this was some sort of therapy program to help Ledo join society, to transform him from an unthinking soldier into a "limited citizen" worthy of exclusion into Avalon. I still think this is a valid possibility. Someone suggested we should keep the writer and director's stated purpose for this show in mind, that this for young adults leaving school getting ready to enter society.

As the show is going now, there really isn't a lesson to be learned beyond the obvious: Gargantia is a hell of a lot better than the Alliance, regardless of any "galactic" consequences. The Alliance as shown (through its proxy with the Cult) is too vile a society to want to live in even if it meant the continuation of the human race. I certainly would not want to bring a child into that world in the vain hope that humanity might eventually improve. If that is the only lesson to be learned, then this show really had no purpose. I have enough faith in the writer that I am expecting some twist in the end.

A couple of points: Ledo's "I wished I never left this cockpit" was an interesting line: it showed that Ledo really didn't like the moral confusion that Gargantia had provided him, he longed for the simplicity of "kill the enemy", and two, he was once again hypnotized while he was sleeping. I wonder what that message was. Kugel immediately asking whether Ledo was more comfortable, and Ledo's willingness to follow orders suggests a lot. I think the ending really fitted the "therapy" angle because the choice is now stark - follow orders and kill Amy (which is why they showed her) becoming the enemy you hated, or defy orders and do the humane thing. Everything is building up to that conclusion, it is now merely how they show the results.
Jun 17, 2013 8:15 AM
Oct 2012
symbv said:
Mich666 said:
Zaraquiel99 said:

The first and second reasons are what I see commonly used in Japanese forums to support Kugel is not dead theory. And I particularly think the first one to be pretty convincing because the machine repeatedly said that they are a "pilot support system". Some people say that it may have some directive to follow the GA's goal if the pilot is dead but I am not so sure, because it never says it is a "GA support system", and to think that it can develop such a longwinded and intricate hoax to trick everyone from those religious people to Ledo seems a bit farfetched to me.

The trouble with this argument is that Chamber DID act independently once: when he killed the whalesquid child in direct contradiction to what Ledo wanted. This shows that Chamber can act independently and/or there is some higher directive in play.

Also, remember what Stryker (and Chamber's) definition of "happiness" was: individual units working for the good of the whole. This shows that while individual development is important, integrating this individual into the whole is the end and overriding goal. If the individual is not properly doing this, the machine should "instruct" the rider on the proper course of action.
Jun 17, 2013 8:21 AM

Jan 2010
Ray_Light said:

Well, I do see Ledo drink something in packed but...where the hell all those food been store in Machine Caliber?
Yes, the biggest curiosity in my head now...Toilet? 0,0..toilet...toilet...

Jun 17, 2013 8:31 AM

Sep 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
The trouble with this argument is that Chamber DID act independently once: when he killed the whalesquid child in direct contradiction to what Ledo wanted. This shows that Chamber can act independently and/or there is some higher directive in play.
Well, that argument does have some appeal to me though: I can take the machine overriding a pilot in a combat operation but saying the machine can develop a full personality and uses trickery including its previous owner's image and voice to push for a grand goal (i.e forming a neo-GA) is a bit farfetched. And another thing that I find appealing for Kugel not being dead is this will keep the story firmly on human vs human instead of human vs machine AI. Of course one can take the latter still as a clash of philosophy (freedom vs collectivism) but the extra element of machine intelligence complicates the argument quite a bit in my opinion. To be honest, I think the story can be argued both ways - Kugel can be alive, or dead, or even half-dead, and it will still make sense. What we are talking here is just trying to make the best guess out of the information we have seen so far, which is rather limited.

Takuan_Soho said:
Also, remember what Stryker (and Chamber's) definition of "happiness" was: individual units working for the good of the whole. This shows that while individual development is important, integrating this individual into the whole is the end and overriding goal. If the individual is not properly doing this, the machine should "instruct" the rider on the proper course of action.
Yeah, I remember. And precisely because of that, the rider has to be present to be "instructed" and as Chamber said they are there to support the rider/pilot. We do not really know how far it can go acting independent if the rider/pilot is dead, much less scheming and playing tricks like humans do.

One thing that I read in Japanese forum that allows Stryker to do what it does even though Kugel is dead is Kugel left detailed instructions and objective before he died and Stryker accepted it as being compliant to the GA ideals and went on to execute it. This also makes sense to me.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jun 17, 2013 8:43 AM

Feb 2010
AoiMizu said:
Ray_Light said:

Well, I do see Ledo drink something in packed but...where the hell all those food been store in Machine Caliber?
Yes, the biggest curiosity in my head now...Toilet? 0,0..toilet...toilet...

The Human Galactic Alliance recognizes how bodily fluids and waste impose as a distraction to the pilots while they are dutifully fighting on missions, so in response to this, they have individually trained the pilots to strengthen their bladder muscles (especially the bladder sphincter) to the point where these people can hold in their pee for a prolonged period of time.

All who fail to meet the required time of 2 months are immediately disposed of along with their waste. The Human Galactic Alliance has no need for those with weak bladders. loll, not sure if that's the real reason (since I kind of made it up on the spot...) but it sounds reasonable enough to me! xD
EarlCielJun 17, 2013 8:46 AM
Jun 17, 2013 8:44 AM

Jan 2013
EarlCiel said:
All who fail to meet the required time of 2 months

omg

OMG

OH MY GOD
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jun 17, 2013 8:46 AM

Jun 2009
Now, Ledo.

You've been working as a fisherman
You've been running errands
You've experience a fun festival
and you've learn about the value of life.

Will you choose your old life, living in a productive, structured life with no freedom.
Or will you choose Gargantia, leading a fun, sometimes very unproductive, but free lifestyle?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 17, 2013 8:52 AM

Apr 2008
AirStyles said:
Now, Ledo.

Will you choose your old life, living in a productive, structured life with no freedom.
Or will you choose Gargantia, leading a fun, sometimes very unproductive, but free lifestyle?

Neither because urobutcher will have him sacrifice himself to keep Gargantia free at the price of his life..
Jun 17, 2013 8:55 AM

Sep 2012
^^ Perhaps self-destructing Chamber is the only way to defeat Striker? Urobutcher? Why, WHY?????????????????
Jun 17, 2013 8:59 AM

Jan 2010
EarlCiel said:
The Human Galactic Alliance recognizes how bodily fluids and waste impose as a distraction to the pilots while they are dutifully fighting on missions, so in response to this, they have individually trained the pilots to strengthen their bladder muscles (especially the bladder sphincter) to the point where these people can hold in their pee for a prolonged period of time.

All who fail to meet the required time of 2 months are immediately disposed of along with their waste. The Human Galactic Alliance has no need for those with weak bladders. loll, not sure if that's the real reason (since I kind of made it up on the spot...) but it sounds reasonable enough to me! xD

That crazy! Ridiculous requirement to alive as a solider!...0,0..
BTW, nice crazy make-up theory for toilet issues..

Jun 17, 2013 9:02 AM

Jan 2013
Darklight0303 said:
AirStyles said:
Now, Ledo.

Neither because urobutcher will have him sacrifice himself to keep Gargantia free at the price of his life..

Nope. 100% sure he's not gonna die unless Urobuchi suddenly suffers a brain seizure.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jun 17, 2013 9:05 AM

Dec 2012
They are making out Kugel to be a bad guy here, in total contrast to epi 1
Jun 17, 2013 9:11 AM

Dec 2009
hpulley said:
^^ Perhaps self-destructing Chamber is the only way to defeat Striker? Urobutcher? Why, WHY?????????????????

And then we have one more possibility. Kugel comes out of his cockpit to face Ledo and in that moment he witnesses the other side of humanity. The autocracy crumbles and the fleets live happily ever after. Striker and Chamber become life-time cargo lifters and makeshift grills.
Jun 17, 2013 9:14 AM

Jul 2011
I really liked the way the final is heading. Now 2 episodes left-
Jun 17, 2013 9:27 AM
Oct 2012
hpulley said:

Because humanity has to learn to live at peace with nature, not to rely on complex machines to do the work for them? Fukushima anyone? Same reason why R2D2 was shot in the first Star Wars movie.

The mechas are the crystallization of the ultimate goal of the Alliance as such they are just as wrong as the Evolvers end goal as well. Since the mecha's "logic" turns humanity pretty much into the same vile creatures as the Hideauze, for humanity to once again become humane they need to cast aside mere efficiency.
Jun 17, 2013 9:30 AM

Dec 2009
Takuan_Soho said:
hpulley said:

Because humanity has to learn to live at peace with nature, not to rely on complex machines to do the work for them? Fukushima anyone? Same reason why R2D2 was shot in the first Star Wars movie.

The mechas are the crystallization of the ultimate goal of the Alliance as such they are just as wrong as the Evolvers end goal as well. Since the mecha's "logic" turns humanity pretty much into the same vile creatures as the Hideauze, for humanity to once again become humane they need to cast aside mere efficiency.

http://www.ted.com/talks/taylor_wilson_my_radical_plan_for_small_nuclear_fission_reactors.html
Jun 17, 2013 9:35 AM
Oct 2012
symbv said:
And another thing that I find appealing for Kugel not being dead is this will keep the story firmly on human vs human instead of human vs machine AI.

Remember how Chamber said that the mechas were the end result of the Alliance's technology? This would mean that the AI's far from representing machines actually represent one extreme of human thought as the hideauze represents they other extreme. This gets back to the false dilemma that Chamber used to justify killing the whalesquid: life isn't an either/or question between Evolver/CU, between civilization/nature there were other options as represented by Gargantia. There is nothing complicating with having the robotic intelligence, they are part of the problem as they try to carry out the will of their creators.

symbv said:
One thing that I read in Japanese forum that allows Stryker to do what it does even though Kugel is dead is Kugel left detailed instructions and objective before he died and Stryker accepted it as being compliant to the GA ideals and went on to execute it. This also makes sense to me.

This is how I think it will play out. But as you pointed out it really doesn't matter Kugel's status for the plot. Still because they spent 5 minutes talking about Kugel's health status, it should mean something and his being dead seems to be the logical conclusion. But this show has previously spent time developing themes that have been subsequently abandoned, so I wouldn't be surprised if there is no point to that entire sequence.
Jun 17, 2013 9:42 AM

Apr 2011
Pinion is in their side now.Wait the whole fleet is like it or not.
I don't think Kugel is dead but I believe that he is lying about his condition or something.

Damn they will go to Gargantia now.
Only 2 episodes left.
Jun 17, 2013 9:52 AM

Sep 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
Remember how Chamber said that the mechas were the end result of the Alliance's technology? This would mean that the AI's far from representing machines actually represent one extreme of human thought as the hideauze represents they other extreme. This gets back to the false dilemma that Chamber used to justify killing the whalesquid: life isn't an either/or question between Evolver/CU, between civilization/nature there were other options as represented by Gargantia. There is nothing complicating with having the robotic intelligence, they are part of the problem as they try to carry out the will of their creators.
While I agree much of what you said (which is why I said in my last post that human vs AI can be viewed as a clash of different philosophies), I think there is complication because not everyone may drill down and think at the same level as you said above (something perhaps I did not make it clear in my last post when I used the word "complicates"). If the main theme is to illustrate different approaches by human facing their existence and direction, I think it is easiest for the audience to understand such message if it is presented as human vs human instead of human vs machine.

Takuan_Soho said:
Still because they spent 5 minutes talking about Kugel's health status, it should mean something and his being dead seems to be the logical conclusion. But this show has previously spent time developing themes that have been subsequently abandoned, so I wouldn't be surprised if there is no point to that entire sequence.
I think we need to consider the possibility that Kugel's health may be used for an entirely different purpose than the "obvious plot device" that many are thinking, like it must be a disguise to hide his death etc. It could just be a way to let Kugel die later without Ledo having to kill him, or something else. All in all I would not try too hard to assume Kugel's saying he caught a virus must link to some major plot twist.

Jun 17, 2013 10:13 AM

Sep 2009
Noooooooooooo!!!! :((
Just as I thought.. they would be targeting Gargantia? But why?? >.<

NOOOOOO... LEDO!!!!
You can't just follow all his commands! Idiooot!! ><
Jun 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Mar 2009
ClawViper7 said:

I disagree with the notion that Kugel's "sacrifice" in episode one was completely selfless. He indirectly stated it himself: he didn't let Ledo go ahead because he was a nice guy, it was because Ledo was younger and could kill more Hideauze. This kind of thinking is a direct result of the extreme utilitarianism that is the Galactic Alliance. The mission failed horribly and the soldiers would have to regroup to fight later. Why not send those who are younger, stronger, and more adaptable ahead? Sacrifice one's own wants for the greater good of the cause.

That in and of itself isn't evil but it is a bit chilling when you consider the overall mindset of the Alliance.
Jun 17, 2013 10:18 AM

Jan 2013
silver_huskey said:
ClawViper7 said:

I disagree with the notion that Kugel's "sacrifice" in episode one was completely selfless. He indirectly stated it himself: he didn't let Ledo go ahead because he was a nice guy, it was because Ledo was younger and could kill more Hideauze. This kind of thinking is a direct result of the extreme utilitarianism that is the Galactic Alliance. The mission failed horribly and the soldiers would have to regroup to fight later. Why not send those who are younger, stronger, and more adaptable ahead? Sacrifice one's own wants for the greater good of the cause.

That in and of itself isn't evil but it is a bit chilling when you consider the overall mindset of the Alliance.

Kugel is not that old. And the argument that Ledo can kill more squids because he's young doesn't make much sense. I can say Kugel is more important and useful since he has more experience and higher rank.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jun 17, 2013 10:34 AM
Jun 2013
Well ! I think he really did catch some "virus".Maybe he barely escape from the last attempt to save Leon but in exchange he is infected with some kind of Hideauze's top secret bio weapon ? The one make human transform to Hideauze without detect by scanner ?
When he first woke up in earth he haven't realize yet. Then he established a fleet with one of policies was "Wipe the Hideauze from the world". Like what Chamber said he didn't come out cause people fear what they don't know. But in reality he was transformed bit by bit from normal human to an evolution one. So now he can't even came out even if he wanted.
So following what in my head,now half of his body is still remain human and the other like what squid or calamari have in their lower body.

P/S : Sorry for my terrible English =))
Jun 17, 2013 10:39 AM

Mar 2009
DawnJ said:
Kugel is not that old. And the argument that Ledo can kill more squids because he's young doesn't make much sense. I can say Kugel is more important and useful since he has more experience and higher rank.

The logic logic only makes sense if you see it from the standpoint of the GA. Personally I agree, experience trumps age and Kugel only seems to be in his twenties or thirties.

But the man said it himself. In case you've forgotten (it was ages ago) I took some screen caps of that conversation from episode one:

Here is the complete conversation, hidden under the spoiler button so the other users don't get a large image dump:

Jun 17, 2013 10:44 AM

Mar 2008
niaxato said:
Wouldnt be surprised if Kugel was dead and his robot had a deal going with the pirate queen for some crazy world domination.

Pretty decent episode over all. Time to choose Ledo!

This is my thinking as well, I noticed the Pirate did not have a symbol, yet everyone else did. It almost seems to me as if the pirate lady is in control here and using the Mech as a figurehead to maintain control.
Jun 17, 2013 10:53 AM

Jan 2013
silver_huskey said:

Thanks for the screencaps. I totally forgot the lines. But I think Kugel made a bad decision, anyway. Maybe experience doesn't matter much in space fight?
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jun 17, 2013 11:07 AM

Oct 2012
symbv said:
However, there are also some who argue that perhaps Kugel is mortally wounded or ill and only his brain is active. This is an intriguing idea because this would allow the idea of mecha being a "pilot support system" to stay intact without the mecha becoming independent and fully sentient, and yet can explain why Kugel so reluctant to come out of the cockpit and so keen to use Ledo and his Striker to finish the plan he has in mind.
As for your third reason, I am not sure. I guess we do not have enough information about Kugel's personality to predict how susceptible to GA's ideals are.

Those are some valid points and I also agree that Kugel's disobedience of direct order in episode 1 could be the proof of his morals and personality (that this hologram, noticably, doesn't have) but call it a hunch, I simply doesn't see this twist coming in this anime.

Sure, Urobuchi is colaborating on the script and his endings tends to be unexpected but overall theme of this show has different, more environmental and "integration into society" feel. And that's why I think that with only two episodes left this "AI deceit" has no place there. But well, I guess we will find out soon.

Takuan_Soho said:

Ok, I can agree on the fact that Chamber could have some internal directives that he is following. Like:

1. Abide incomming commands of Galactic Alliance
2. Destroy Hideauze
3. Defend and obey your lieutenant

(easily in this order)

Therefore some of those directives could be superior and have priority over other commands.

But... I really can't see such machine being able to devise such complex plan to control other people on wholly different planet. That is really something that doesn't fit there.
Jun 17, 2013 11:09 AM
Jun 2013
We don't think they want to destroy Gargantia though?

Same with Pinions fleet, its a valuable human resource, don't think Kugel wants to let it waste. On the other hand, this reeducation is same as destruction I suppose, they just get to stay alive.

In this case, Ledo might go with it at first but rebel with lobster queen and others in the end.
Jun 17, 2013 11:09 AM

May 2012
I totally need to watch the first of episode 1 again.

Good episode things are heading up again. I'm expecting a happy ending with many 1 or 2 death but not the main main characters.
Jun 17, 2013 11:30 AM

Mar 2009
DawnJ said:
Thanks for the screencaps. I totally forgot the lines. But I think Kugel made a bad decision, anyway. Maybe experience doesn't matter much in space fight?

No problem! Good or bad, if Kugel hadn't of made that decision Ledo might not have ended up on the Gargantia.
Jun 17, 2013 11:34 AM

Oct 2012
symbv said:
I think we need to consider the possibility that Kugel's health may be used for an entirely different purpose than the "obvious plot device" that many are thinking, like it must be a disguise to hide his death etc. It could just be a way to let Kugel die later without Ledo having to kill him, or something else. All in all I would not try too hard to assume Kugel's saying he caught a virus must link to some major plot twist.

Well, the virus - he could went through some Hideauze change and that's why he is staying inside. Exposure to Hideuze could somehow overwrite Striker directives and infect him. We really don't know what happened after he left his fleet in first ep. This is one of my ideas simply because of two things:

- he is acquiring new people and his target is not Hideuze but Gargantia (if he sides GA, why?)
- his followers also briefly appeared in the end previous episode in scene where they were talking about people who embraced Hideuze DNA. They can turn out to be some sort of Hideauze cult.

Well, this can be red herring but still, it is worth of considering.
Jun 17, 2013 11:52 AM

Jun 2009
Haha time for butcher to put his imprint on this anime.
Jun 17, 2013 12:16 PM

Feb 2013
-Quasar said:
Haha time for butcher to put his imprint on this anime.

Yep, been waiting a while for that final plot twist. All the pieces finally fall into place.
Part of Refrain Subs for Little Busters!: Refrain
Recently Played/Read VNS (Most Recent to Oldest):
- Da Capo
- Grisaia no Kajitsu
- ef - a fairy tale of the two
- G-senjou no Maou
- Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo & Sharin no Kuni, Yuukyuu no Shounenshoujo (Fan Disk)
- Rewrite
- Hoshizora no Memoria -Wish upon a shooting star-
- Clannad
- Little Busters EX!
Jun 17, 2013 12:31 PM
Oct 2012
Mich666 said:
Well, the virus - he could went through some Hideauze change and that's why he is staying inside. Exposure to Hideuze could somehow overwrite Striker directives and infect him. We really don't know what happened after he left his fleet in first ep. This is one of my ideas simply because of two things:

- he is acquiring new people and his target is not Hideuze but Gargantia (if he sides GA, why?)
- his followers also briefly appeared in the end previous episode in scene where they were talking about people who embraced Hideuze DNA. They can turn out to be some sort of Hideauze cult.

Well, this can be red herring but still, it is worth of considering.

Not to mention the cult's symbol and clothing are vaguely squidish. I think you have pegged it. This would explain why the Hideauze did not respond when Ledo wiped out that colony, namely because they have, why Stryker did not respond (the half way around the world argument is bogus). It would also explain those people who were bundled up on the deck, why Gargantia was targeted (revenge against the ship that housed Ledo and Pinion), nail down that C/U was justified, that the Evolvers did force people to transform.

Of course it could also just be that Stryker/Kugel just co-opted a pre-existing cult. After all Redgit said that some people worshiped the whalesquids as gods. Gods need followers. Maybe the reason that Kugel stayed inside is that he is pretending to be a Hideauze (though I like your idea more - and it would be easier with only two episodes to go).

So Ledo will destroy Gargantia, and then learn that he really has been following a hideauze's orders, ironic. That's what not thinking for yourself gets you!
Jun 17, 2013 12:39 PM

Dec 2012
Fucking space communist have to fuck up everythig.
Jun 17, 2013 12:40 PM

Sep 2012
Well, some people pointed out back earlier that Amy's dancing costumes also have vaguely squidish motive, and the master key of Gargantia too. I guess we should also consider that perhaps Gargantia is actually part of a squid cult in disguise too LOL

Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - Jun 30, 2013

499 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:50 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bastek66 - Jun 23, 2013

340 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:45 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2013

344 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:24 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 2, 2013

667 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:10 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 26, 2013

253 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 6:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.