Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 4, 2013 8:54 PM

Jan 2013
Writer A: Hey, what's the point of CU killing kids?
Writer B: There's food shortage in CU, also it's to make them look inhumane.
A: Like, what, Spartans?
B: Just like Spartans.
A: Okay, but what's the 'weak'?
B: Weak as physically weak.
A: But CU soldiers ride the super-robots. Why does it even matter?
B: Ugh... they need to endure G or something?
A: Their robots can just float midair like UFOs, completely ignoring gravity.
B: Maybe soldiers do physical labors other than operating robots?
A: Physical Labor like CARRYING THE FUCKING SAUCE? That'd definitely need some muscles. Oh wait, Ledo has no muscles.
B: Okay. How about that they kill mentally-weak kids?
A: CU educates and brainwashes soldier-candidates since born, right?
B: You know what? I've already written bunch of scripts about Ledo's brother-clone and ocarina, so fuck you.

Pretty much what happened.
DawnJJun 5, 2013 12:16 AM
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jun 4, 2013 8:55 PM

Aug 2012
Ok.
Jun 4, 2013 9:01 PM
Jan 2013
Your logics is kinda weird and stupid, but I can still say this. That's what you call madness of fascism, and of course it is non-sense.

This series is obviously saying that is wrong, by showing Gargantia right in front of your face.
Jun 4, 2013 9:44 PM
Oct 2012
Dawn, if I may make a suggestion, read Bloodlands (which is about the territory between the USSR and Germany from 1920-1945) or Leningrad (about a siege which lasted nearly three years) before condemning the GA.

Being raised during the past 50 years we cannot understand what scarcity is really like. In famine regions parents will kill their own children, children their own parents in order to survive. In the GA really is suffering from scarcity (granted we have no real evidence of this), then "exposure" really is the most humane way of dealing with an excess population. As I said to you in the episode 9 thread, the closer one is to extinction, the narrower one's options become.

Sparta killed the "weak" not because they were immoral bastards, but because the existence of their entire society was predicated on it. When Sparta ceased to do this, Sparta stopped being an independent nation, and instead became a thrall of either the Romans or later the Byzantiums, their citizens reduced to that status of slaves.

Reading history is informative because it shows us how ephemeral our society truly is. We like to think that history is progressive, that we have "evolved" beyond this, but as the old saying goes, any dog is only two meals away from becoming a wolf.
Jun 4, 2013 9:49 PM

Jan 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
Dawn, if I may make a suggestion, read Bloodlands (which is about the territory between the USSR and Germany from 1920-1945) or Leningrad (about a siege which lasted nearly three years) before condemning the GA.

Being raised during the past 50 years we cannot understand what scarcity is really like. In famine regions parents will kill their own children, children their own parents in order to survive. In the GA really is suffering from scarcity (granted we have no real evidence of this), then "exposure" really is the most humane way of dealing with an excess population. As I said to you in the episode 9 thread, the closer one is to extinction, the narrower one's options become.

Sparta killed the "weak" not because they were immoral bastards, but because the existence of their entire society was predicated on it. When Sparta ceased to do this, Sparta stopped being an independent nation, and instead became a thrall of either the Romans or later the Byzantiums, their citizens reduced to that status of slaves.

Reading history is informative because it shows us how ephemeral our society truly is. We like to think that history is progressive, that we have "evolved" beyond this, but as the old saying goes, any dog is only two meals away from becoming a wolf.

I already wrote that the cull-the-weak process isn't really logical(And I don't really understand why there are weak-to-be-culled kids when they are produced from the same DNA and in the same process). Then what comes next? Birth control. Producing clones exactly as needed at the time. It could, at least, save more food than kicking babies out in the middle of growing session.

Anyway, unless we get the translation of currently released prequel LN of this anime, I can rant only about information we are given.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jun 4, 2013 10:10 PM
Oct 2012
DawnJ said:
I already wrote that the cull-the-weak process isn't really logical(And I don't really understand why there are weak-to-be-culled kids when they are produced from the same DNA and in the same process). Then what comes next? Birth control. Producing clones exactly as needed at the time. It could, at least, save more food than kicking babies out in the middle of growing session.

Anyway, unless we get the translation of currently released prequel LN of this anime, I can rant only about information we are given.

As far as I can tell this is an original series, so there is no other source except what we have watched. The Manga is following the animation, not vice versa.

All those things you mention could be what is required for the GA to survive, and if this is the case can we really condemn them for doing what it takes to ensure the survival of humanity.

I will say that you are correct, we can only rant about what we have seen, but the interesting thing about this series is that we haven't seen enough yet to judge who is morally correct. It is nice to think that the humans and Hideauze SHOULD be able to co-exist since neither really is mean to exist in the preferred space of the other (Gargantia on ships and land, whalesquids in water; the GA on ships and planet, the Hideauze in the space between), but this is irrelevant if either side is unwilling to compromise. As the old saying goes: it takes two to make peace, only one to make war.

As for why there are "weak" kids. Natural genetic mutation ensures that there will always be "weak" kids; though I would agree that in a civilization as advanced as that which can create a biological impossibility like the Hideauze there shouldn't be this issue. But assuming that this is true, then death by exposure is a rational response to natural circumstances (one of the great contributions of Christianity is that it made exposure morally reprehensible), but that assumption is a mile wide because we don't have the information we need to make a proper choice.
Jun 4, 2013 10:33 PM
Jul 2010
Maybe weak referring to disabled or bed-rest forever (like Bevel), someone who's having a hard time adapting to unknown circumstance or environment. At some point Machine Calibers need pilot's assistance; whenever it's breakage or moral decision etc; pilot's ability to venture outside MC independently without assistance will be needed.
I don't really sure why the weak have to be culled, but that scenario still possible. For us who live in current earth civilization this can be seed as less efficient or illogical, but if unthinkable event happened (ex. too dense population, too much "weaks" to support, food shortage, or even when the"weaks" trying to develop another genetic mutation to "help" the Union itself but turned out to be second Hideauze-ish living being), culling the weak is one possible scenario. IMO it's not illogical, it's possible to happened but just too absurd and seems inefficient to be happening at this age (but who knows if the condition forces us to).
Jun 4, 2013 10:39 PM
May 2012
I enjoyed reading the OP.

Also agree with it to some extent, as I myself was questioning why the physically weak were being killed off if all they do is fly robots, though not much has gone into detail yet, so we don't know for sure.
Jun 5, 2013 1:20 AM
Oct 2010
If they are clones like people are theorizing they are culling the weak is simply throwing away defective product.
Jun 5, 2013 3:59 AM

Aug 2008
Who said they are brainwashed?
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jun 5, 2013 4:09 AM

Jun 2012
ok. But ledo does have muscles.
Jun 5, 2013 4:14 AM

Nov 2011
Antanaru said:
Who said they are brainwashed?

Watch the first episode. The whole first part of the episode is the propaganda delived to soldiers through REM Hypnosis Education.

Interesting fact: Ledo's served in the army for 145 000 hours. 16,5 years.

GET DROPBOX HERE!
Bonus space for you and me with this link! Now 500MB per referral, up to 16GB from referrals alone.
Jun 5, 2013 4:20 AM

Oct 2012
DawnJ said:
Yep. They pretty much said, "How can we make CU as non-liberal as possible to create a contrast and drive home this ecological co-existence message that's the point of this anime?"
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jun 5, 2013 4:32 AM

Jul 2007
DawnJ said:
Writer A: Hey, what's the point of CU killing kids?
Writer B: There's food shortage in CU, also it's to make them look inhumane.
A: Like, what, Spartans?
B: Just like Spartans.
A: Okay, but what's the 'weak'?
B: Weak as physically weak.
A: But CU soldiers ride the super-robots. Why does it even matter?
B: Ugh... they need to endure G or something?
A: Their robots can just float midair like UFOs, completely ignoring gravity.
B: Maybe soldiers do physical labors other than operating robots?
A: Physical Labor like CARRYING THE FUCKING SAUCE? That'd definitely need some muscles. Oh wait, Ledo has no muscles.
B: Okay. How about that they kill mentally-weak kids?
A: CU educates and brainwashes soldier-candidates since born, right?
B: You know what? I've already written bunch of scripts about Ledo's brother-clone and ocarina, so fuck you.

WEll, welcome to fascism - that shit has not been making sense since forever and yet there were thousands worshipping it.

Its right in line with Urobuchi's Anti-Authoritarian idealism.
Jun 5, 2013 6:39 AM
May 2013
First of all- why do you think people reproducing by cloning themselves? Because they have similar hair`s colour? If they were cloning themselves or doing any other things on human DNA there wouldn`t be any weak children. Also I read the translation from novel, where its state that cloning and making any experiments on human genome is prohibited (probably due what happen with Evolvers). Translation can be find here http://flamingo-chan.tumblr.com/post/52151325539/more-illustrations-from-suisei-no-gargantia-light
Also about ill children- even if robots could take control about everything in fight, there are still less chance for them as a piltos to survive. They probably need special care/aparature to keep them alive, which make me wonder about Avalon`s medicine development. Did they resigned of medical researches, because that would be waiste of time and resurces too, so it is better to get rid of ill individual?
Jun 5, 2013 7:07 AM

Jan 2013
Colascka said:
First of all- why do you think people reproducing by cloning themselves? Because they have similar hair`s colour? If they were cloning themselves or doing any other things on human DNA there wouldn`t be any weak children. Also I read the translation from novel, where its state that cloning and making any experiments on human genome is prohibited (probably due what happen with Evolvers). Translation can be find here http://flamingo-chan.tumblr.com/post/52151325539/more-illustrations-from-suisei-no-gargantia-light
Also about ill children- even if robots could take control about everything in fight, there are still less chance for them as a piltos to survive. They probably need special care/aparature to keep them alive, which make me wonder about Avalon`s medicine development. Did they resigned of medical researches, because that would be waiste of time and resurces too, so it is better to get rid of ill individual?

I thought CU soldiers are like clone troopers in star wars... what a revelation. But still, throwing out the airlock after all those years because one's weak(or became weak)? And from the novel spoiler, it says it's not certain how Ledo's brother got sick... so, even the novel spoiler ain't saying much. I'm confused.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jun 5, 2013 11:36 AM

Jul 2007
Colascka said:

Its still genetic manipulation, just not a scientific one. Its a form of genetic selection - only those with desirable traits survive. And amongst desirable traits you have silver hair and purple eyes.

Its no different than what Nazis did.
Jun 5, 2013 11:54 AM
Oct 2012
Fai said:
Its still genetic manipulation, just not a scientific one. Its a form of genetic selection - only those with desirable traits survive. And amongst desirable traits you have silver hair and purple eyes.

Mighty big assumption there, on multiple levels. Have you ever thought that perhaps the lack of sunlight for several hundred if not thousands of years has naturally resulted in a form of albinism?

Or even if we assume that they did genetic manipulation that perhaps it was necessary to compensate for the lack of sunlight? As such it wouldn't be "selection" as much as "necessity"?

As with nearly everything else about this series, we don't have the information to determine which is the case.
Jun 5, 2013 12:11 PM
May 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
Fai said:

Mighty big assumption there, on multiple levels. Have you ever thought that perhaps the lack of sunlight for several hundred if not thousands of years has naturally resulted in a form of albinism?

Or even if we assume that they did genetic manipulation that perhaps it was necessary to compensate for the lack of sunlight? As such it wouldn't be "selection" as much as "necessity"?

As with nearly everything else about this series, we don't have the information to determine which is the case.

Good point. Alibinism is an genetic desease, where skin does not produce melanin and also albinose doesn`t have a pigment in skin, eyes or hair. But then Ledo should have sunburns instead of tan, while his skin is sensitive to the sun.
Jun 5, 2013 12:59 PM
Oct 2012
Colascka said:
Good point. Alibinism is an genetic desease, where skin does not produce melanin and also albinose doesn`t have a pigment in skin, eyes or hair. But then Ledo should have sunburns instead of tan, while his skin is sensitive to the sun.

That should have happened anyway given that we know that he has never been out in the sun before and his fair complexion (natural or not). Would have loved to see him have to deal with a sunburn during one of those "slice of life" episodes.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - Jun 30, 2013

499 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:50 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bastek66 - Jun 23, 2013

340 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:45 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 16, 2013

261 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:35 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2013

344 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:24 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 2, 2013

667 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.