Forum Settings
Forums
The Garden of Words
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 9 10 [11]
Jun 4, 2021 12:39 AM
Apr 2021
a bit of spoiler here, the teacher is the same teacher that teaches in Your Name!
Jul 17, 2021 8:48 AM

Feb 2021
A really subtle and odd theme tbh but it was so beautifully presented that I can't deny that I really liked it.

I don't have much to say for visuals and artwork; it's clearly better than real life lol. Jokes apart, one of the best animation I've ever seen.

I'm glad it didn't end with both of them marrying or something cause that would have been weird considering their age. The ending was melancholic but still realistic. They might meet later who knows?

For a 45 minute movie, it did a darn good job! An 8/10 for me!

Jul 28, 2021 6:17 PM
Jul 2018
wow that was very very pretty, i just always love rain. this was actually quite nice, production quality was exceptional (to be expected, seeing as who its coming from) and i enjoyed this very much. wasn't exactly too sold on the story and characters, although they were still decent and did the job i guess. overall quite cool, i'd say a 6/10.
Aug 2, 2021 2:26 AM

Jul 2021
the animation is really beautiful. i liked the concept of two people struggling with loneliness finding each other and trying to better themselves. i wish it was longer.
Aug 17, 2021 1:13 PM

Nov 2014
Shinkai makes beautifully animated movies, but damn is he a hack storyteller
Sep 25, 2021 7:23 PM

May 2014
The story was good, complete, and well-paced, but a bit too short. Good character development. I loved how they used to walk as a metaphor, because it was strong. I am glad they didn't end up together. That wouldn't make any sense and be very strange. This worked much better. Anyways, it was an enjoyable movie. Totally recommended.
Nov 16, 2021 4:52 PM

Jul 2016
That blush scene was probably the best blush I've ever seen on an anime yet. I love the rain theme from Shinkai's works.

In most cases, the MAL Average Scores don't mean anything, here is a question: were the works made before 2000 all shit?
Why are they so damn scarce in the Top 50? Think about how MAL is quite literally a filtered amount of the Anime fanbase.

Here's a timeline of the Top 15 in which you can check that, almost always, the scores are affected by the freshness, popularity and other factors that have nothing to do with quality.

Nov 20, 2021 4:12 PM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
The artwork? Fantastic
The soundtrack? Really good as well
The story and the relationship between the characters?
Oi, answer the question.
Ok, that put me off a lot. Their relationship came off as somewhat creepy and unnatural mainly due to the age gap and the fact that they were teacher and student, him being underage and her being kinda dodgy on her delivery towards this kid. What's worse is that he fell in love, even confessed and the resolution wasn't really satifying. This might be a terrible take after reading some of the previous comments, but that's just what I perceived.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Jan 14, 2022 1:51 AM

Aug 2021
loved this!
The visuals are probably the best I've ever seen in an anime
The ending had me in chills :D
Mar 6, 2022 8:02 PM

Jun 2017
Probably the prettiest movie I have seen. I liked the story but there was no need to make it a romance. 12 year age gap put me off. At least the romance didn't progress on screen. 7/10.
Mar 28, 2022 10:47 PM

Feb 2021
it was pretty decent. Loved the visuals but the story itself was weird, like, how do you not run into each other at school until that point? Admittedly I kinda fell for the melodrama at the end too
Mar 28, 2022 10:51 PM

Feb 2021
btw I don't think this movie would be half as well received if their genders were reversed
Apr 29, 2022 1:50 PM
Feb 2022
Se puede sentir el amor prohibido que hay entre ellos 2. La vida muchas veces es injusta con la gente como Yukino. La parte donde están solos en el departamento de Yukino transmite tranquilidad, hasta que explotan los sentimientos de Takao.
May 30, 2022 10:17 AM
Jun 2021
Loved it. If only he was 3 years older. Making me cry always has a +1 on me but the moment was too short-lived to make me cry, If only it was just a bit longer.. Amazing animation as always, expected from CoMix Wave Films. 9/10
Sep 22, 2022 11:00 PM

Feb 2019
I've watched it over a dozen times now, and it's still an unparalleled masterpiece. It is, for me, the best of Shinkai's work.

It never fails to move me by how beautiful, poetic, and artistic it is.
Oct 2, 2022 4:08 PM
Aug 2021
kamil lied to me ngl
Oct 21, 2022 7:31 AM
Mar 2018
beautiful and amazing
Oct 30, 2022 7:05 AM
Oct 2022
an anime you should watch with someone close to you ^^
Dec 29, 2022 7:08 PM

Jan 2021
This movie's visual appearance is stunning, pure beauty, pretty similar to one in Your Name. I loved the art style design of every frame of the movie, characters and their development isn't the most deep thing you can see but great for such a short movie and I overall liked the story of their love being so hard and unreachable at some points, quote was the perfect for the end. 8/10

Jan 19, 2023 8:01 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Though I think this is one of the better Shinkai movies. I still think this is pretty rough around the edges. First off, I do like the visual setting and style of this movie. The rain scnes on the city and the nature were gorgeous and actually feels very soothing. The characters still have this Shinkai look that I am not a fan of how bland they are. A step up from his previous movies before this point in his career but they did nothing to appeal to me. The music also varied in composition but worked for so much emotion in many scenes; my only gripe is with the last song at the end on the stair well. It sounded way too uplifting and climactic to be about them yelling to one another and basically ending their relationship then and there. It was just a very odd tone shift.

I will say the strongest part for me is that, I do feel a connection to both the boys perspective of growing up and the woman's sense of lost in her late twenties. But I will say that is the only prominent connection to have. Being memorable characters as either individuals or a romantic sense feels very empty on the whole. Will I ever rember these characters names or character traits outside of cobbler and bum teacher? No. 

To put it simply. It's a fine movie. I probably won't ever revisit it but I will say it does what it does in 45 minutes and that's impressive. 

6/10.
Feb 4, 2023 2:04 PM
Jan 2023
The animation was one of the best seen in the industry. The rain scenes were portrayed so beautifully that i was confused at times if it was a photo or not. BUT, i think that the movie being so short made it so that it had almost no depth to the story.
Feb 5, 2023 3:31 PM
May 2020
It didn't make me cry my eyes out like Your Name, but it was a beautifull and wholesome anime.
Mar 23, 2023 2:15 AM
Jul 2020
I watched this after watching the movie "Suzume no Tojimari" in theaters. I think this is another hidden gem from Makoto Shinkai. Loved it.
I hope Akizuki can meet Yukino-san.
Apr 7, 2023 10:31 PM

May 2016
holy shit that was horrific lol. i should have trusted my gut to not watch this. 3/10
Apr 14, 2023 3:29 AM
Dec 2022
its good art but mid plot and trash ending
Apr 15, 2023 10:42 PM
Jul 2017
"Sederhana dan indah"
Kayanya Makoto Shinkai pada masa ini suka bgt bikin film berdurasi menengah seperti ini, karna sebelumnya 5 cm per sec juga durasinya hampir sama dan kisah yang dibawakan juga sama2 soal percintaan. Namun yang disuguhkan di sini bukan hanya soal percintaan saja, karna visual dari anime ini bener2 luar biasa bagus, jadi tonton anime ini cocoknya dengan format yang bagus juga, 4k kalo bisa, biar visualnya bener2 berasa, bahkan sekilas gua ngeliat ini seperti anime bukan anime, karna ada beberapa visual yang begitu nyata dan bagus.

Dan percintaan di sini juga tidak kalah seru, jadi Makoto Shinkai tidak hanya menjual visual di sini. Karna percintaan di sini masih cinta yang terhalang oleh sesuatu dan gua suka bgt sama hal sederhana yang ada di percintaan ini. Jadi ada moment di mana mereka berjnaji akan bertemu ditempat yang sama jika hujan datang, dan setiap malam, setiap mau tidur, si Akizuki selalu berdoa agar esok turun hujan, karna dengan demikian mereka akan bertemu lagi, dan ini bener2 bikin gua nyess bgt, kaya wah gokil nih.

Udah gtu sifat misterius yang disimpan oleh background karakter di sini bener2 menjadi penutup yang bagus, jadinya klimaksnya sangat berasa dan dalam 40 menit kita berhasil disuguhkan karkater yang bener2 didevlopment dnegan bagus, seperti si Akizuki yang jadi tau passion dia apa, alesan dia buat berjuang itu apa dan bgtupun sebaliknya. Tapi yang jadi menarik dari pertemuan mereka adalah, di saat musim panas datang dan hujan tidak pernah turun. Jadi devlopment cerita yang janji setiap bertemu dikala hujan menjadi konflik utama dalam cerita di film ini.
Apr 19, 2023 8:48 PM

May 2014
after going through all of shinkai's filmography and rewatching this i think his movies would all be better if he was forced to make them 45 minutes long. he's got such a small pool of ideas that he draws from and some of them are fun but they're not enough to sustain a feature length story. shinkai just isn't as competent a director as the ones he's looked up to, his movies don't really tell a story, they show an arbitrary string of plot points and emotional beats that haven't been worked enough to make them convincing or compelling.

i get the feeling that shinkai really just wants to make anime openings and music videos and instead stumbled into a success where he's given way too much artistic freedom and cant help but overindulge long past the point of it being interesting.

Garden of Words is easily his most engaging work precisely because he couldn't fit a ton of pointless boring fluff into its shorter runtime. it's so much more convincing in its relationship showing 2 people that stumble into each others lives and find belonging in their shared alienation and empathy for each other. it's not a complicated or particularly engaging story but its confidently told and doesn't overstay its welcome.
May 4, 2023 5:14 AM
May 2022
always touch my heart
May 5, 2023 2:05 AM

Dec 2020
i hyped this up for years and ended up not liking it lol. shouldve expected this....

i really love the art and animation style, and the whole only meeting when its raining is crazy i love it. but the plot in general and the characters i didnt care for, didnt get attached to any of them. they felt very 2d, which is expected from something this short, but still... 5/10
Jul 2, 2023 2:52 PM

Jan 2021
The visuals in this movie were absolutely mesmerizing. Loved the colors and scenery. Story wise it still felt good and sweet for a short film. Its definitely worth watching. 
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Jul 9, 2023 1:07 PM
Apr 2018
movie good mmmmmm
Aug 21, 2023 7:27 AM
Aug 2023
damn, it rained a lot in this bitch
Aug 23, 2023 8:26 PM
Jul 2023
the movie was good but i expected more than this
Aug 26, 2023 6:36 PM
Mar 2023
Nice movie. Not really a romance movie in my opinion, but more of a philosophical story about life in general — fleeting, weird turns, ruined expectations, going from enjoyment to frustration then back to nostalgia.
Sep 8, 2023 12:55 PM

Nov 2010
It's a beautiful movie with a good short story, an interesting twist, and a bittersweet romance. I'm sure they'll see each other someday since Shikoku isn't that far, and most of Japan is accessible through rail.

I'm sure I would fall for a cute & mature teacher like Yukino, even if we have a 12-year age gap. However, I still prefer girls younger than me. Haha
Oct 23, 2023 4:43 PM

Nov 2015
It was a fairly short movie for what I was expecting. The visuals, music, effects, shots are beautiful and the voice delivery is delicate and sound.
The plot is really not complex and while my dumb ass took too long to understand the "Learning to walk" analogy (clever) I think the story, backgrounds, problematics, doubts and overall character arcs are very well explained.

He has doubts about his skill and future because he thinks he's not good at making shoes. He's got to be better, enter college but doesn't have money for it or materials for shoe making. Hell, even his reaction at receiving the book about shoe making that he said is expensive, was noteworthy. After all this, I understand why he broke down in the end.

Her, on the other hand was cloudy for the most part. First I didn't know why she reacted how she did but when it was revealed she was a teacher, I made sense of her reaction when she saw the school's logo on him. She's also a mess and doesn't trust herself (hence the "I'm not any more smart at my 27 than when I was 15"). I guess the misunderstandings at her job didn't help at all with this. I don't know why the lack of taste in food but hey, it's something that can happen but I didn't see it as very relevant to the plot, more like a vehicle for some interactions.

Yeah, she's 13 years older than him, of course she has to turn him down. It was sweet but, it's not ok. In any case, you know... double standards. If genders were swapped hell would break loose but I'm not here to talk about this. Come back in 3 years and try again haha.

I don't understand much how he "healed" her but maybe if I think more thoughtfully I can come to a conclusion. It's a nice short story. Take what you want from it.

PD: Damn, first comment after 2013. Sorry hahaha
Nov 3, 2023 2:32 AM
Jul 2022
I loved it! the plot twist at the end was so great It made up for a big part of the anime! would recommend to anyone, who is into romance:D
Nov 9, 2023 4:05 AM

Oct 2018
Out of Shinkai's movies, this has my favorite my art direction and the greenery is depicted, a bit too much on depth of filed though. Masayoshi Tanaka should've been brought on as a designer from this movie onwards, we missed a teacher design from him. Feet shots are quite ugly. The script seems like it's glossing over a bunch of plot points without going anywhere with them but that's not surprising from the director.
Nov 19, 2023 11:59 AM

Mar 2012
Visually and technically beautiful, the story doesn't really took me. Maybe if i was younger i would have enjoyed it much more.
Jan 11, 11:27 PM
Jan 2024
The artistry and emotion are skillfully blended in this anime. Every frame felt like a masterpiece and the rainy atmosphere added a unique charm.
Jan 17, 10:37 PM

Dec 2022
people want to be together but all we know how to do is fall apart
Jan 26, 1:23 AM
CD enthusiast

Jan 2024
The film had a lot of potential, and I definitely enjoyed the atmosphere, but it was wasted by having the protagonist as a child. An adolescent is mentally an undeveloped human being and is incapable of understanding certain things and so has limited ability to consent. Even worse was that the woman led him on. What a shame.
Pages (11) « First ... « 9 10 [11]

More topics from this board

» Am I the only one, probably not

mydaddy - Mar 1

28 by Rayane-47 »»
Mar 6, 5:29 AM

» What if the genders were reversed?

mechian - Aug 17, 2014

29 by CLADDAN »»
Mar 1, 10:53 AM

» What did you think of this movie? ( 1 2 )

AoiroBlueColor - May 15, 2021

55 by SandraEis »»
Aug 14, 2023 2:26 PM

Poll: » What demographic is Kotonoha no Niwa?

AnimeIs4Kidz - Feb 27, 2023

15 by DreamingK »»
Mar 6, 2023 11:08 AM

» Weathering with you or Garden of words?! ( 1 2 )

Reckless_weeb - Mar 30, 2022

81 by Kunii »»
Apr 15, 2022 12:01 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.