Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 30, 2013 2:07 AM

May 2013
Hi guys, i'm pretty new here and to MAL as well actually. Iv'e been watching anime on and off for about two years and iv'e played visual novels for about 6-7 months (iv'e played about 5 VNs in that time frame)

So i'd like to ask you fellows, why do you enjoy VNs? Besides them being another passive medium for entertainment and escape. I'm curious to know what it is that draws you in and immerses you.

As a hardened VN Vet, how do you approach VNs? As in, does the idea of intellectual stimulation excite you like in g senjou no maou? Or do you find fulfillment in being able to explore characters in ways that only VNs allow? (lol i'm not talking about the H scenes :p)

as a fairly amateur VN player like me, How did you first approach VNs? What excited you the most or were you just curious? What was your first VN experience like? Why did you continue exploring VNs or why did you stop? How did you feel after finishing it?

lol sorry for all of the questions, i'm just really curious to see what all you people have to say. Certain VNs have left such deep impressions on me, i'm glad I decided to pick one up and play it, it sent my soul into perpetual dimensions that you simply cannot leave unscathed. Or leave for that matter lol. For me at least :3
hedphonzeMay 30, 2013 2:35 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
May 30, 2013 4:11 AM

Sep 2009
why do you enjoy VNs?
I like anime and I like reading, so VNs are a perfect hobby for me.
What I like about VNs specifically:
- interesting stories - they have more in-depth plots than anime or manga. It's like books vs movies - novels are simple a much better medium in general (for me). VNs have all good points of other Japmedia, but unlike normal books, they also offer visuals and sounds (and H scenes :P). They are simply the best.
- interesting romance - even the simplest, plotless moege usually has decently developed romance between characters and such relationship doesn't end in the middle of nowhere. In anime (and some mangas as well), even if the MC actually manages to get into a relationship, the lack of sex (even implied) kinda makes it feel incomplete and unsatisfying for me. Not to mention that such simple romance stories often result in harem shit that I can't stand. In VNs, even if the protag attracts a horde of girls for no apparent reason, most of the time he ends with only one of them, and doesn't choose her only at the very end (character's routes are usually more or less as long as the common route).
- interesting H - that is important too. H-animes rarely have anything interesting to offer (mangas can be a bit better in that regard). Good stories and characterization in story-oriented VNs make even boring, vanilla H-scenes infinitely better than hardcore stuff with no story and dumb characters I couldn't care less about.
But there are also "plotless" eroge (aka nukige) that still have quite solid stories and characters, but also offer all hardcore, fucked up and interesting stuff that you can imagine (and some more ^^). Too bad that almost all translated nukiges are total garbage.
how do you approach VNs?
Depends on the mood. Sometime I feel like a good plot, sometimes I feel like emotional story, sometimes I feel like a simple, fluffy romance, and sometimes I just feel like seeing some little girls raped by bugs. :P
In other words, I like almost everything that VNs have to offer. But most of all, I like surprises, unpredictable plots and stuff that I haven't seen before. That's why I sometimes choose VNs completely on a whim, without reading any reviews or even synopsis.
How did you first approach VNs?
I was browsing a random forum, and have found Planetarian. I had absolutely no idea what it is, but since it was something to read and had anime-style art, it easily picked my interest. And after that, VNs instantly became my favorite hobby.
May 30, 2013 7:23 PM

May 2013
lol good answers :)
May 30, 2013 7:28 PM

Mar 2012
I like VN because I can choose what I want. I can choose breaking point unlike anime. Moreover since I like to read more than just watch VN have the advantage of anime and novel at the same time.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
May 31, 2013 2:39 AM

Aug 2010
the girls,
obviously
May 31, 2013 11:25 AM

May 2013
tthammy said:
the girls,
obviously

indeed
May 31, 2013 11:44 AM

Sep 2009
tthammy said:
the H-scenes,
obviously
Fixed. :P
May 31, 2013 1:28 PM

Apr 2012
You beat me to it Pabloc. :P
Jun 1, 2013 1:15 AM

Feb 2012
I've read only 7 VNs so far, started it a year ago. So I am no expert.

why do you enjoy VNs?
Because they are different. The medium is unlike anime, novels and manga. It can achieve stuff that neither of the other ones can. I can read VNs in my own pace, yet they are presented with CG and music, which can immensely help with creating an atmosphere.
Also, most VNs are far more low budgets than anime. I think this is important because developers don't have to try so hard to please a large spectrum of the audience. They can risk stories that might not appeal to a lot of people, but would appeal a hell lot more to the fewer people which can consume it.

how do you approach VNs?
As for now, I am going through only the popular / high rated stuff. I want to know most of the classics before trying to figure out my own taste. I liked everything I've read so far.

I heard about them first in otaku anime. Googled "favorite eroge", lot of people were mentioning Shuffle!, so I tried that one.
Jun 1, 2013 2:12 PM

Aug 2010
how i approach vns.

for now, anythng that looks good enough i ll take it.

@how did i first aproch?

watch clannad , seems good: oh its a vn? whats a vn? google
O_O
Jun 1, 2013 11:42 PM

Oct 2012
why do you enjoy VNs?

katz89 said:
Because they are different. The medium is unlike anime, novels and manga. It can achieve stuff that neither of the other ones can. I can read VNs in my own pace, yet they are presented with CG and music, which can immensely help with creating an atmosphere.

This is probably the closest to why i enjoy them. They're just fun to read for me for some reason.

how do you approach VNs?

Well first of all i only stick with english translated VN's so it narrows my prospects a bit. However, I'll look for things that interest me, or have been recommended to me by others. I like ones with heavy plots and/or rich characters the most.

Like alot of people, i started off with Katawa Shoujo. A friend of mine had downloaded it, and I had been seeing it alot at the time on a few forums i had been frequenting so i thought "What the hell, i might as well see what all the fuss is about". I went into it not expecting much, but i was surprised to find myself somewhat enjoying it. So i decided to try a few more and got hooked.
Jun 2, 2013 9:09 AM
May 2010
I love reading, and I used to write short stories in my free time (trying to start that again), so I guess visual novels are a natural fit for me. Sort of. I enjoy the ones that actually tell a story and aren't just waifu pandering fetish material. I have a love/hate relationship with KEY because of that.

I actually got into the medium through a fighting game called Melty Blood that I used to be really into. Naturally, I had to watch the Tsukihime anime after I learned about it. Yes, I enjoyed it for what it was, and later I learned about the visual novel.

My initial reaction was "what's a visual novel?". When I thought of game-books, I thought of Dungeons and Dragons. I fell in love with the characters and the incredibly detailed descriptions of how magic worked in the universe. I read Fate/Stay Night afterwards, and it expanded on the already detailed magic rules (and threw in some awesome action scenes to boot). Say what you will about Nasu, the man knows how to write lore.

One thing led to another, and I gradually started reading more and more VNs. Being essentially books by nature, they have potential for storytelling that far surpasses traditional television shows and comics. Most of them are written from a first person perspective, and assuming the protagonist actually has a personality, the story puts you right in their head. You see what they see, experience what they experience right alongside them. This can do -wonders- for characterization and development. Throw in a visual element and music for mood setting, and you have what could be an amazing experience when handled properly.
Jun 2, 2013 11:59 PM

May 2013
WaffleGod said:
Most of them are written from a first person perspective, and assuming the protagonist actually has a personality, the story puts you right in their head. You see what they see, experience what they experience right alongside them. This can do -wonders- for characterization and development. Throw in a visual element and music for mood setting, and you have what could be an amazing experience when handled properly.

Very good point
Jun 3, 2013 7:14 AM

Sep 2011
Well, for various reasons.
I like the way the stroy is told in them, especially since they're written from the first person perspective.
What I also like about them is that you don't have to focus on one girl - what I don't like in most anime adaptions is that there's a fixed route that the anime follows. F.E., I can't stand Nagisa in Clannad and pitifully, she's the main heroine. I'd rather have Tomoya end up with Tomoyo in the Anime, but it only was one of the possible endings in the Visual Novel. And the characters have much more depth in VNs than in anime if I daresay so.
Something that also fascinates me about VNs is that the Artwork in general is absolutely stunning - these detail, these colors, I love VN artworks. More often than not the Music is good as well.

My first Visual Novel was Shuffle. At first I was like "wtf is that shit?". But then I got bored and continued to read it. I was literally sucked in. I watched the Anime before and was surprised as how good a Harem can be. Then, I played the VN and well, got hooked. Especialyl since Asa-sempai got more depth than in the Anime |-3

More often than not, I actually start reading them by simply browsing through my collection and randomly start one. I haven't been disappointed with this method up until now. I aswell often read the descriptions on VNDB, seeing if they seem interesting to me. If they do, I'll give 'em a shot (as long as they're translated).
Jun 3, 2013 1:44 PM

Aug 2012
I actually came across them as I was on YouTube watching ChilledChaos. He happened to be doing a read-through of a visual novel: Katawa Shoujo. But at one point he went with a heroine that I didn't want him to go for, so I downloaded it myself, and it just spiraled into more and more novels from there. They're pretty easy to get into, if you enjoy reading and watching anime
Jun 3, 2013 10:58 PM

Oct 2012
Aenigma66 said:
Well, for various reasons.
I like the way the stroy is told in them, especially since they're written from the first person perspective.
What I also like about them is that you don't have to focus on one girl - what I don't like in most anime adaptions is that there's a fixed route that the anime follows. F.E., I can't stand Nagisa in Clannad and pitifully, she's the main heroine. I'd rather have Tomoya end up with Tomoyo in the Anime, but it only was one of the possible endings in the Visual Novel. And the characters have much more depth in VNs than in anime if I daresay so.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who preferred Tomoyo to Nagisa. I was pretty disappointed how shallow the special was in the anime adaption of that route, its impossible to cover a 5-10 hour VN route in 23 minutes without losing something along the way.

But as others have said, I do enjoy the First person narrative style the majority of VNs use. It allows you to get into the head of the protagonist and allows for more solid character development.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Top 5 VNs ( 1 2 3 )

AltriaPendragon - Jun 2, 2013

120 by Fischer77 »»
Jan 28, 2023 5:49 PM

» Top 10 Heroines from all the VN's you have read?

Riptos - Jun 23, 2021

1 by UIGodFather »»
Jul 3, 2021 7:19 AM

» What VN are you currently playing? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MayuAsagiri - Dec 17, 2013

434 by removed-user »»
Apr 25, 2021 6:26 AM

» Member Birthday List ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Mar 8, 2011

126 by Disapeared_Ghost »»
Apr 23, 2021 4:51 PM

» Visual Novel Data Base Account ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Jan 29, 2011

106 by removed-user »»
Apr 14, 2021 4:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.