Forum Settings
Forums

Final Chapter of Manga 'Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun' to be Released in Next Issue

New
May 27, 2013 1:23 AM

Sep 2012
It has been announced that manga "Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun" will end in the upcoming August issue of Dessert which will come out on June 24th. The manga started its serialization in the manga magazine Dessert in the October 2008 issue and was adapted into an anime in October 2012.

Volume 12 of the manga will be released on August 12th and the limited edition will include an OVA titled "Tonari no Gokudou-kun".

Source: Natalie
Previous related topic: Manga 'Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun' to End
NaruleachMay 27, 2013 2:30 AM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 27, 2013 1:27 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Well that's expected, it does seem like it's coming to and end and things can be tied up in the upcoming chapters. It's too bad though, I really enjoy reading the manga because the characters are all so fun. But at the same time, it makes sense that it will end soon because there's not much else to elaborate on.
May 27, 2013 1:32 AM
Jul 2012
Manga/Anime I like and enjoy was funny til the end atleast.
May 27, 2013 1:48 AM

Aug 2011
Did the author finally start running out of ways to delay the story?
May 27, 2013 1:52 AM

Sep 2012
DraconisMarch said:
Isn't it similar tale for most manga that has some popularity, from battle shounen to seinen human drama to shoujo romance? So what is new you are bringing to the table???
symbvMay 27, 2013 1:55 AM

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
May 27, 2013 1:55 AM

Dec 2007
I enjoyed the manga myself and yes its about time to end it :D
May 27, 2013 1:58 AM

Apr 2011
Good news :P I will read it in one go!
May 27, 2013 2:08 AM

Nov 2012
ah man, im kinda sad. i liked it a lot. was one of the first manga ive read actually (i think)

i'll look forward to it!
May 27, 2013 2:42 AM

Dec 2012
Haven't read the manga but I've already watched the anime...I didn't kinda liked the anime...It's going in circles which I don't really get it...Anyway, many people say that the manga is much better, so I'm gonna check it out soon...
May 27, 2013 3:01 AM

Jun 2012
I watched the anime on recommendation of a friend, who's also really into the manga. She sounded sad to find out it was ending. Never was much of a shoujo type myself, but I liked the anime and the manga seems fun as well.
I'll definately read the manga once it ends; I like going through things in one go so it's still fresh in my mind and such, heh.
May 27, 2013 3:22 AM
Mar 2010
This makes me feel so old. So many shojos I read are ending.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
May 27, 2013 3:32 AM

Jul 2012
I'm definitely reading this once it ends
May 27, 2013 3:55 AM

Sep 2012
It is ending next month guys so you can probably start reading it now unless you plan on reading twelve books worth in a weekend.

Too bad really that we won't get to see 8 books worth animated! They only got to the end of book four in season 1! While they did spend a lot of time on side stuff, the side stuff is what makes romantic comedies funny! If they just got straight to the point then there wouldn't be much time for comedy. And the side characters are very interesting in this story. The manga is very good however so while the anime was great, at least we get the end of the story. Original anime that aren't finished are definitely worse.

The last volume of the anime shipped last week. My box is full.
May 27, 2013 6:39 AM
Feb 2012
Now that the ending is confirmed (again), I'll make sure to read the remaining chapters.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
May 27, 2013 6:59 AM

Aug 2009
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Q__________________Q //SOBBING
May 27, 2013 8:24 AM

Oct 2012
That sad but good thing doesn't last for ever, i enjoyed the anime and the manga as well just hope it will be a good ending.
May 27, 2013 8:26 AM

Nov 2011
I knew this awhile ago but ya..kinda sad to find out about this. Oh well, still hoping to end it on a good note...
May 27, 2013 10:19 AM

May 2013
NOOO!!! I enjoyed this manga a lot. Looking foward to the last chapter.
May 27, 2013 10:43 AM

Oct 2012
I'm going to read the manga if it ends. The anime was quite good and I already take a look into the manga.
May 27, 2013 11:00 AM

Oct 2012
Sad that the manga's gonna end already, but I think it's good that isn't one of those shoujo manga that end up being 100+ chapters.

May 27, 2013 12:19 PM

Oct 2011
Hmm I thought the anime was decent but I never read the manga.....I think I may start to read it,...12 volumes is easy enough to finish
May 27, 2013 1:01 PM

Jul 2010
Awww man another one ending nooooooooo!!!
I just hope for a good ending !!
May 27, 2013 1:10 PM

Aug 2007
Need to continue reading it. ;o;
May 27, 2013 1:22 PM
Oct 2012
Better to end it while people will still miss it rather than when people will go "really? I thought that ended ages ago".

I have enjoyed this series a lot, particularly because of Mitty, but the last half dozen or so episodes I have read (I am not current) started focusing too much on Haru and his past, and I have to be honest, I never really liked Haru as a character and could not care less about his past. He was good
supporting lead as a foil for Mitty, but he didn't have anything to recommend him as the main character: his entire past seemed more melodrama that tragic, and whatever really didn't justify his psychotic behavior today.

Of course I am a guy, and this manga wasn't directed at me. I know that, but I do enjoy reading it. Just always have had and always will have a problem with the whole: "love redeems" story line. Not particularly true, and that myth often keeps women in abusive relationships blaming themselves.
May 27, 2013 2:05 PM

Apr 2013
I hope
ends well, or is at least given some focus in the final volume.
May 27, 2013 2:25 PM

Jan 2013
I'm a bit sad about it ending already, but, to be honest, the timing is actually pretty good. I didn't like how the story began to move in the same direction as the current 'Kaichou wa maid-sama' plot - dude being rich and his family needing him, thus creating distance to the heroine.

Well, what should I say? I had lots of laughs with both the Anime and Manga. Great series.
May 27, 2013 2:37 PM

Sep 2011
symbv said:
DraconisMarch said:
Isn't it similar tale for most manga that has some popularity, from battle shounen to seinen human drama to shoujo romance? So what is new you are bringing to the table???
The main male confessing to the girl chapter one?
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
May 27, 2013 2:40 PM

Aug 2011
symbv said:
DraconisMarch said:
Shounens suffer from a "make shit up as you go" story and don't have a clearly defined end goal.

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun introduced its main plot (the main characters getting together), and then proceeded to just shove in a ton of excuses for them NOT to (like a lot of shoujos do).

There IS difference. And my comment IS relevant.
May 27, 2013 3:05 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
DraconisMarch said:
symbv said:
DraconisMarch said:
Shounens suffer from a "make shit up as you go" story and don't have a clearly defined end goal.

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun introduced its main plot (the main characters getting together), and then proceeded to just shove in a ton of excuses for them NOT to (like a lot of shoujos do).

True, but I think the "delays" in Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun are quite refreshing compared to most other (romance) shoujo manga, where you have crazy love polygons and jealousy going on.
May 27, 2013 3:49 PM

Nov 2008
Well that was a good run and i did enjoy both manga and anime, it will be miss
May 27, 2013 4:05 PM
Jul 2008
I already miss the anime & will miss this manga too. :(
May 27, 2013 4:42 PM

Sep 2012
voll said:
I hope
ends well, or is at least given some focus in the final volume.

MANGA SPOILER UP TO END OF SECOND LAST CHAPTER
May 27, 2013 5:42 PM

Jun 2012
I'm gonna cry. I love Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun. I wish they would have been able to get at least one more volume out of it :p Maybe we can hope for season 2 of the anime?
May 27, 2013 6:18 PM

Sep 2012
MEanimaniac1 said:
I'm gonna cry. I love Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun. I wish they would have been able to get at least one more volume out of it :p Maybe we can hope for season 2 of the anime?

You can hope but the anime didn't sell well and with the manga ending there isn't original material to promote anymore so sadly, I think volume 12 with its OVA is the last we will get.

I bought the anime hoping my sales would help but too few others pitched in. Shoujo just isn't what the otaku are being these days for anime. Manga, yes! Anime, no :'(
May 27, 2013 7:07 PM

Mar 2010
arrrrrhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

okay enough otaku shock. At least we got to see an OVA *Q*
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 27, 2013 7:52 PM

May 2013
well you know what they say,
all good things come to an end. ヽ(;▽;)ノ
May 27, 2013 8:19 PM

Sep 2012
DraconisMarch said:
But your words only touched upon the "delays". Making shit up as you go is still "delay" - delay of reaching that (not always clearly defined) end goal. And if anything, human drama seinen can be even worse in this department - things not going the way it should ideally be is so common there.
DraconisMarch said:

And these are pretty ignorable statementS (yes, the plural).

May 28, 2013 4:31 AM

Aug 2011
symbv said:
DraconisMarch said:
But your words only touched upon the "delays". Making shit up as you go is still "delay" - delay of reaching that (not always clearly defined) end goal. And if anything, human drama seinen can be even worse in this department - things not going the way it should ideally be is so common there.
DraconisMarch said:

And these are pretty ignorable statementS (yes, the plural).
Making shit up as you go isn't "delaying" anything because there's no clear or planned end. It's the result of just making more until it no longer sells, and THEN deciding to come up with an ending. That's different from having a clear ending, but just delaying arriving there.

Ignorable... how? It's pretty damn prevalent in the scheme of Tonari. Just because it happens a lot elsewhere doesn't mean it's not important to mention. That's just the way it is.

DraconisMarch said:
I made one comment initially (which you cried about), which is why I used the singular.
May 28, 2013 4:36 AM

Sep 2012
DraconisMarch said:
Making shit up as you go isn't "delaying" anything because there's no clear or planned end.
Making shit up delays the end. That much is clear. So it is not "isn't delaying anything"

DraconisMarch said:
It's the result of just making more until it no longer sells, and THEN deciding to come up with an ending. That's different from having a clear ending, but just delaying arriving there.
Usually the author has some good idea of how he wants to end a series if it has gone on long enough. So making shit up along the way just delays the coming of ending.

DraconisMarch said:
Ignorable... how? It's pretty damn prevalent in the scheme of Tonari. Just because it happens a lot elsewhere doesn't mean it's not important to mention. That's just the way it is.
Because Tonari is just like many other manga, a lot of them with much more volumes and going on for much longer, that also delay delay and delay. So your comments add little to the discussion.

May 28, 2013 10:08 AM

Aug 2011
symbv said:
Usually the author has some good idea of how he [implying it's always a man?] wants to end a series if it has gone on long enough.
If you had nearly as much experience as you like to pretend to, you'd be aware of the abundance of rushed and poorly-developed endings that stem from shitty planning. This is because there wasn't a planned end, and so, they have to quickly fabricate one because their runtime is abruptly coming to a close.

symbv said:
DraconisMarch said:
Because Tonari is just like many other manga, a lot of them with much more volumes and going on for much longer, that also delay delay and delay. So your comments add little to the discussion.
This sounds more like just your usual beef with any open criticism than anything. It's still relevant, and if you don't like it, too bad.
May 28, 2013 10:16 AM

Sep 2012
DraconisMarch said:
If you had nearly as much experience as you like to pretend to, you'd be aware of the abundance of rushed and poorly-developed endings that stem from shitty planning.
Rushed endings usually come from manga forced to end by the publisher. This happens most often with Shonen Jump. Otherwise, the author usually has some GOOD IDEA of how he wants to end the series. Mind you: having some good idea just not mean the idea is necessarily good - the word good in "Some good idea" means "suitable" as in "I have good idea of what we are heading". Just in case you read it the wrong way.

DraconisMarch said:
he [implying it's always a man?]

Don't you know that "he" in English is often used as a pronoun for a person of unspecified gender?? That is called a generic singular pronoun. (yeah, I guess you hate seeing this word "generic" don't you?) And unless you are being overly politically correct who insists only "he/she" can be used or you just want to troll, I don't see why you could see a "he" as meaing that it is always a man.

DraconisMarch said:
This sounds more like just your usual beef with any open criticism than anything. It's still relevant, and if you don't like it, too bad.
More like poorly argued and biased criticism because you cannot distinguish that other manga are doing exactly the same thing that you are complaining about for this manga. Obstacles and detours are thrown in in shounen battle manga to delay the endings, just like obstacles and detours are thrown in in this shoujo romance manga, as in many other manga of other genres. So?
symbvMay 28, 2013 10:28 AM

May 28, 2013 12:12 PM

Aug 2011
symbv said:
DraconisMarch said:
he [implying it's always a man?]

Don't you know that "he" in English is often used as a pronoun for a person of unspecified gender??
"Often"? You mean as in: only used that way in quotes? Or are you just using a different "English" than everyone else? Nobody uses "he" to mean an unspecified gender in normal conversation. It's actually more common to use "they"--even though it's a plural pronoun and you're referring to a single person of unspecified gender. That's just how it is.

symbv said:
More like poorly argued and biased criticism
Uh... what? So now you're going to try to argue that my statement is false? Surely that's not what you're saying.

symbv said:
because you cannot distinguish that other manga are doing exactly the same thing that you are complaining about for this manga. Obstacles and detours are thrown in in shounen battle manga to delay the endings, just like obstacles and detours are thrown in in this shoujo romance manga, as in many other manga of other genres. So?
It doesn't matter what other manga do. Just because others do it doesn't make that statement irrelevant. It doesn't make the criticism any less valid. Since you seem so intent on using other manga to attempt to write off relevant statements about the one at hand: You want to know what other manga also do? Not continue to pull excuses out of their asses for why the main couple can't get together.

Your poorly argued (irony) attempt at making my statement look bad would only work if every single manga were the same, and every single one took the same route of delaying the end as long as possible/making shit up as you go. It would only work if it were an intrinsic property of being a manga--like the fact that manga as a medium don't have sound. But since that most definitely isn't the case, your "other manga do it so it doesn't matter" argument is pretty sad.
May 28, 2013 12:39 PM

Sep 2012
DraconisMarch said:
"Often"? You mean as in: only used that way in quotes? Or are you just using a different "English" than everyone else? Nobody uses "he" to mean an unspecified gender in normal conversation. It's actually more common to use "they"--even though it's a plural pronoun and you're referring to a single person of unspecified gender. That's just how it is.
Well if I want to say a manga artist of unspecified gender, what should be used? He. Of course in some cases you can use a generic "they", but it has never been wrong to use a generic "he". In fact this was the more common usage in older days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singular_they#Generic_he

Also

Origin of the Concept of the Gender-Neutral Masculine Pronoun
"It was [Ann] Fisher [author of A New Grammar, 1745] who promoted the convention of using he, him and his as pronouns to cover both male and female in general statements such as 'Everyone has his quirks.' To be precise, she says that 'The Masculine Person answers to the general Name, which comprehends both Male and Female; as, Any person who knows what he says.' This idea caught on. . . . The convention was bolstered by an Act of Parliament in 1850: in order to simplify the language used in other Acts, it was decreed that the masculine pronoun be understood to include both males and females."
(Henry Hitchings, The Language Wars: A History of Proper English. Macmillan, 2011)

So it is not incorrect to use "he" to refer to a person of indefinite gender. Now after the political correct movement, there is a tendency to use all kinds of tricks, including the generic "they", to avoid using a generic "he", either because of the users being political correct themselves or because of the fear of being called sexist. But it is never wrong to use generic "he" to refer to a singular person of indefinite gender, and your assumption that a generic "he" implies it is always a male only exposed your ignorance.

DraconisMarch said:
symbv said:
More like poorly argued and biased criticism
Uh... what? So now you're going to try to argue that my statement is false? Surely that's not what you're saying.
Did I say that your statement is false? Whether this manga drags on for too long is a matter of personal preference and I am not going to argue whether it is the case or not, but even assuming that it does, your targeting this manga and arguing that its delay is something worth a post to criticize is what I am objecting: that your criticism adds little when there are so many manga which also "delay the ending".

DraconisMarch said:
It does not matter what other manga do.
Yeah, if you just want to throw in a platitude that can apply to many manga, of course you could say that. And my comment to that post of yours was to point out that your one sentence post is such platitude.

DraconisMarch said:
Your poorly argued (irony) attempt at making my statement look bad would only work if every single manga were the same, and every single one took the same route of delaying the end as long as possible/making shit up as you go. It would only work if it were an intrinsic property of being a manga--like the fact that manga as a medium don't have sound. But since that most definitely isn't the case, your "other manga do it so it doesn't matter" argument is pretty sad.
Why should "every single manga were the same" is necessary to make your statement look bad? You already look bad if there are other manga (no need for "every single manga") who keep on delaying the end. Since there are so many manga which do this kind of "delay", your targeting of this manga just look poorly thought out and argued. A tendency to "delay the ending" does not have to be any intrinsic property of manga - just the commonness of it would be sufficient to make you look bad in singling out this manga for its "delay in ending".
symbvMay 28, 2013 12:52 PM

May 31, 2013 10:25 PM

Apr 2010
This was on my plan to read list so I'll get about it reading it now that it's ending. Probably watch the anime first though.
Jun 1, 2013 3:03 AM

Sep 2012
scabab said:
This was on my plan to read list so I'll get about it reading it now that it's ending. Probably watch the anime first though.
Episode 13 is a bit off from the manga, 1-12 are pretty much spot on so you can pretty much watch the anime, then pick up on chapter 17/book 5 of the manga and read it from there. With crap sales there won't be any more anime other than the side-story OVA which has nothing to do with the manga.
Jun 7, 2013 10:18 AM

Sep 2011
Aww.. :( At least it won't drag on
pew pew pew
Jun 24, 2013 6:18 AM
Jun 24, 2013 8:34 AM

Nov 2011

Ye, I think she deserves a spinoff in the future. Anyways, I'll keep an eye on that spinoff as well.
Jun 24, 2013 5:20 PM

Apr 2013
Everything has to come to an end, yup it was a good manga nonetheless, I'm looking forward to the spinoff!!
Jun 24, 2013 11:15 PM

May 2013
aww ! I will miss this manga .. Although this is not my favorite shoujo manga but I still enjoy it..
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» New 'Keroro Gunsou' Anime Project Announced

DatRandomDude - Mar 31

13 by LuminousXstar »»
3 hours ago

» North American Anime & Manga Releases for June

Aiimee - 5 hours ago

0 by Aiimee »»
5 hours ago

» Voice Actor Takeo Ootsuka Announces Marriage

Hyperion_PS - May 31

13 by 210200 »»
9 hours ago

» 'Mayonaka Punch' Reveals Additional Cast, Staff, Second Promo

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

4 by RobertBobert »»
Today, 1:48 AM

» Q2 2024 Anime & Manga Licenses [Update 5/31]

Snow - Apr 5

3 by Snow »»
Yesterday, 10:45 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.