Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 21, 2013 10:55 AM
Oct 2012
Taking in what everyone has written on other threads and in the alternative theory threads, I have unified these comments into a single theory.

In the ancient past humans created the nanomachines living in the ocean as a source of energy. To efficiently harvest this energy they created the Hidauze to collect this energy and then bring it to a central energy unit (as shown in the picture). This is why the Hidauze have vaguely human appearance and why they feed on energy.

Unfortunately somewhere something went wrong. The Hidauze and the nanomachines gathered too much energy and this was enough to plunge the Earth into an ice age. Most of humanity fled at this time. At the same time the Hidauze became intelligent and exploited this energy for their own benefit, seeking their own means to escape, venturing off into space as well and becoming the Hidauze the humans are fighting.

Now the Hidauze are not evil, they are just attracted to large energy sources, so if humanity is willing to survive in a more "primative" means, they can (as Gargantia shows) live an idyllic existence. So if Humanity can give up its galactic ambition (as described by the Alliance in episode 1), they can maintain a more natural existence.

So in the end this show becomes an environmental parable. Humans need to temper their lust for "bigger and better" and learn to live within their means. The Hidauze are symbols of the need to moderate one's economic footprint. This will be the twist at the end: Ledo accepting demotion and accepting life on board the ship.

The ironic twist is that the way to fight the Hidauze is not to fight them. As the first battle shows, they easily defeated and absorbed the Alliance all out assault. If we give up fighting them, then we can live off of them (as Gargantia does with the Galaxy Road) creating a life of ease and happiness.
May 21, 2013 11:28 AM

Jun 2012
Nice theory, but you still have the problem with the creation of the H. and H. becoming intelligent. Too much fiction, instead of science.
Its moral is standard beautiful.
All hail the Nutcracker Queen!
May 27, 2013 12:26 PM

Dec 2009
It is already understood that the cause for the Ice Age was irregular solar activity.

But anyway, historical details aside your theory makes a lot of sense. From ep. 8 on I think this could be the only plausibly coherent message to be taken from the series. In this way both the Alliance and the Hideauze would be vindicated from any pretense of evil, as the Hideauze are a largely aggressive yet non-sentient race and the Alliance, before Ledo rediscovered Earth, was simply acting in self-preservation. Now that Ledo has discovered Earth, the new "Avalon", humans once again have the ability to live in peace, however long that may last.

But what a dubious message this would be. Never aspire for more and strive for ever-lasting peace with your neighbors? Very characteristic of Japan, of course, but I don't see that helping their economy any time soon.
May 27, 2013 12:36 PM

Sep 2012
morrownight said:
But what a dubious message this would be. Never aspire for more and strive for ever-lasting peace with your neighbors? Very characteristic of Japan, of course, but I don't see that helping their economy any time soon.
On the other hand, regardless of how true this theory turns out, the main theme of this anime about "make yourself useful in society by working and participating in the society" would be a message that could go some way, even for only a little, in helping their economy.

Besides, striving for peace with your neighbors may be the one thing that the increasingly nationalistic Japan may now want to take a fresh look so I won't call it really dubious message.
symbvMay 27, 2013 12:56 PM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
May 27, 2013 12:50 PM
Oct 2012
morrownight said:
It is already understood that the cause for the Ice Age was irregular solar activity.

Perhaps, but if Chamber doesn't know that humanity created the Hidauze, then he wouldn't know that they caused the ice age.

Kyube, my guess is that they modified squid. Squid have an extremely advanced nervous system, breed enormously fast (and die relatively soon, they would be the perfect creature to evolve in a rather short period) so I can easily see scientists creating more than they realized. As for them being in galactic, the deep ocean and deep space share a lot of similarities. Perhaps the ocean squid were such a success that humanity then modified them to live in space and that was when everything went to hell (and if they reduced the amount of solar radiation reaching Earth, there is your ice age).

Of course this assumes that the Hidauze were made by humans. I think this likely because a natural species that evolved to live in space wouldn't have gaping mouths with lots of nasty teeth. That would be one of the first things to go (particularly if they feed off of energy as is the suspicion). There is also the extremely long odds that the Hidauze would be on Earth as well. This points to some direct connection in the past.

As for the message: "unchecked ambition is wrong, you can strive but you always have to take into account the costs of doing so" is not that far fetched of a moral.
May 27, 2013 1:01 PM

Dec 2009
Takuan_Soho said:
As for the message: "unchecked ambition is wrong, you can strive but you always have to take into account the costs of doing so" is not that far fetched of a moral.

Hmm, so a "with power comes great responsibility" kind of thing?

symbv said:
On the other hand, regardless of how true this theory it turns out, the main theme of this anime about "make yourself useful in society by working and participating in the society" would be a message that could go some way, even for only a little, in helping their economy.

Hmm........ I don't really see this beyond episodes 4-6. That's 3/13 episodes, doesn't exactly qualify for the main theme. I know I'll get hated for saying this again, but here's proof again that the story and message are all over the place.

On another note, don't you find it odd that Ledo doesn't understand the meaning of work and support? I mean, his duty as a soldier is to protect the citizens of Avalon and advance the evolution of humanity. No society like that can exist without work and mutual support. Avalon is, itself, a utopia that is protected and nurtured by the Alliance. Surely they would understand these concepts.
tealcactusMay 27, 2013 1:11 PM
May 27, 2013 1:11 PM
Oct 2012
morrownight said:
Takuan_Soho said:
Hmm, so a "with power comes great responsibility" kind of thing?

Not quite, because most of us don't have power. More the reverse: "with responsibility, comes the need for empathy". If this show is really about children becoming adults and entering society, that is what they need to learn. In a Japan still suffering from the effects of Fukushima, learning to live in harmony with nature has a special relevancy.

But while I have faith that Gen will end this show nicely (which is why I am sticking with it), I am not too sure that the episodes 2-11 have any great message. The writing has been pretty muddled, perhaps on purpose so the ending knocks our socks off, so whatever message is there isn't really that well defined.
May 28, 2013 12:00 PM

Nov 2011
The theory may turn partly true but I don't think it explains how Hideauze went into space.Because from what Ledo says it seems like his society doesn't know of Hideauze ever being other way than enemies of humans, so to me just felt like wherever they came from, when they got into space they did it to hunt humans.
May 29, 2013 11:14 AM
Oct 2009
Morridine said:
The theory may turn partly true but I don't think it explains how Hideauze went into space.Because from what Ledo says it seems like his society doesn't know of Hideauze ever being other way than enemies of humans, so to me just felt like wherever they came from, when they got into space they did it to hunt humans.

Just add self replicating to their abilities and they would HAVE to leave earth to find more energy eventually, altough the sun would be a far better source than any human energy source.

On Topic, if the true message of the show really is supposed to live in a "peacefull, low technology society, rather cowering before an external threat than to fight it, never striving to advance further or better yourself, with no goal but plain living each day...add some other horrible cliches" it would be rather disappointing.

Ultimatively such a society and the people inhabitating it would eventually and rather sooner than later cease to exist. Either their neighbour decides to attack unprovoked, some natural disaster wipes them out, a disease finishes them off or some change in their environment they couldn't adapt to would make them disappear.
Especially a society such as Gargantia that feeds off the scraps left by the previous civilizations will sooner than later cease to exist as it's not sustainable on the long run as the resources it depends on are finite.

It would be the typical "let's all go live in the woods sitting around a fire singing peace songs till we get eaten by bears whom don't care about our peaceful intentions" bullshit. :D
May 30, 2013 1:32 PM
Oct 2012
Deleth said:
Just add self replicating to their abilities and they would HAVE to leave earth to find more energy eventually, altough the sun would be a far better source than any human energy source.

Reversing that. There is a gate on Earth to the Hidauze home world. The Hidauze return to Earth in order to spawn, much like a salmon returning home. Destroy the gate, destroy the Hidauze. Of course destroying the gate could conceivably destroy the earth, or drive the earth Hidauze into a murderous frenzy where they would kill the humans on Earth in revenge.

This is the choice Ledo will be forced to make.
May 30, 2013 8:25 PM

Apr 2008
*please forgive my poor English*
Ledo's dramatic change from a soldier with a mission to experiencing the laid back lifestyle, makes me think this show may be about purpose. Note how Ledo was lost and unable to comprehend Bevel's question "what will you do when you finally exterminate the Hidauze"

Hidauze reminds me of the word Hideous. So it also be a metaphor to all the bad and hideousness of life and humanity. It will always be there, it will come and go, and occasionally harm you. The alliance aim their purpose on fighting and repeatedly failing. Earth chose coexistence as they see fighting will only bring meaningless harm.

So the message might be that bad things will always exist, and focusing on it will blind you from the other potentially good things in life, thus slowly robing our humanity.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - Jun 30, 2013

499 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:50 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bastek66 - Jun 23, 2013

340 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:45 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 16, 2013

261 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:35 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2013

344 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:24 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 2, 2013

667 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.