Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 7, 2013 12:58 PM
Oct 2012
I have no spoilers, but I have a theory of this show I would like to discuss without "spoiling" what I think may be going on for people who would care.

Takuan_SohoMay 7, 2013 7:28 PM
May 7, 2013 11:34 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Holy shit. As crazy as your theory sounds at first, it's also seems very plausible :o Then again, I'm not good with thinking critically, so at this point, I think anything is possible. Still if your theory were to be true, it would be a nice twist. This would also make sense since

"Gen Urobuchi explained on the official website that the message of the story is aimed towards those in their teens and 20s, who are either about to enter into society or recently have, and is meant to cheer them on and to encourage them that "going out into the world isn't scary". He also said that the feeling of this work will be different from others he's been involved with." [Although taken from Wikipedia, I asked my Japanese friend to confirm if this was really from the interview on the official site, and it's true]

I'm actually really hoping that your theory is correct, because now I'm expecting some great ending like your scenario. It would also explain the fact that episode 5 is in fact not merely a fanservice episode, but has a significance to it as part of something Ledo should experience to learn about life. A lot of people thought episode 5 was unnecessary, but it would be nice to know that it's there for a purpose.
May 7, 2013 11:46 PM
Nov 2008
That...makes some sense. I myself was wondering if it was some kind of loyalty training simulation. But that idea is frankly even more plausible.

Heh, when Gen says he's aiming this anime at people getting out of college and looking for a job, you could say Gargantia represents the hedonism and frivolity of college, and service in the Alliance represents the soul-crushing reality of life in the Japanese workforce.

No, I'm not completely convinced that Gen himself "healed" after Madoka; if you think about it Psycho-Pass' ending was much more downbeat than Madoka's (Kougami's a fugitive and the brains still lobomotomize most of Japan).

Of course, I'm pretty certain the story will actually go along the Avatar path and have Ledo reject his former comrades and choose to stay on Gargantia, but frankly your idea sounds much more original.
May 8, 2013 8:48 AM
Oct 2012
tingy said:
It would also explain the fact that episode 5 is in fact not merely a fanservice episode, but has a significance to it as part of something Ledo should experience to learn about life. A lot of people thought episode 5 was unnecessary, but it would be nice to know that it's there for a purpose.

Well, if you are going to hire a talent such as Hisasi, you gotta use it. So there HAD to be bathing suits galore in this series. So it's not that I minded having fanservice, but for me it just didn't make any sense considering what the ship had just been through.

There have been quite a lot of plot contractions from the very first episode onwards, and they had finally piled up enough that it was taking away from the show. But as I said back during the debate over the "not killing" discussion back in episode 3 I said that I like to give writer's credit. Particularly when it is a talent like Gen Urobuchi. That was when it came to me and all those things that I thought were contradictions made perfect sense.
May 9, 2013 1:10 AM

Apr 2010
If you theory is correct, this show is a masterpiece because it makes sense and it would be one hell of a plot twist.
May 9, 2013 7:40 AM

Nov 2011
kratos_aurion said:
If you theory is correct, this show is a masterpiece because it makes sense and it would be one hell of a plot twist.

Knowing Gen, anything is possible. Hopefully, Ledo will learn a lot by the time this end.
May 9, 2013 8:05 AM

Mar 2013
I like the theory, would be very entertaining if it heads in that direction.
May 10, 2013 5:17 AM

Aug 2011
Sounds like typical Gen.

There's a huge chance that this might actually turn out to be true :D

It would explain everything which happened so far..

Though...

Holy shit.. that would be a quite torture of feelings..
stefemanMay 10, 2013 5:20 AM
May 10, 2013 6:27 AM

Jan 2010
stefeman said:
Sounds like typical Gen.

There's a huge chance that this might actually turn out to be true :D

It would explain everything which happened so far..

Though...

Holy shit.. that would be a quite torture of feelings..

yes indeed! torture of feelings as next ep preview, Amy dress up like bride or something like that. If everything we watch till ep5 is illusion...man, is this matrix or what? totally control the brain and mind!

May 10, 2013 9:32 AM

Sep 2012
That theory makes sense but I hope you're wrong Takuan, I see those type of plot twists in almost every new movies that I'm watching, and I'm just getting tired of it.
May 10, 2013 3:50 PM
Oct 2012
SetsukoHara said:
That theory makes sense but I hope you're wrong Takuan, I see those type of plot twists in almost every new movies that I'm watching, and I'm just getting tired of it.

Well, much as with everything else, it really isn't the idea that is important, it is the execution that makes it unique.

I would be curious what movies you would be thinking of: "Total Recall" I can think of, which others are out there?
May 11, 2013 2:24 AM

Jun 2012
This theory is indeed funny, but I don't expect something like that to happen.
All hail the Nutcracker Queen!
May 11, 2013 9:08 AM

Dec 2010
Takuan_Soho said:
I have no spoilers, but I have a theory of this show I would like to discuss without "spoiling" what I think may be going on for people who would care.

The battle in the first episode displayed a sharp contrast between Galactic Empire of Humankind and Hideauze. The humans were shown to be more mechanical using machine-like weapons while Hideauze looked more biological and so did their weapons.

Why would they put in the effort to make the Hideazue look more biological if they were just a program drone?
May 11, 2013 9:11 AM

Sep 2012
I kinda hope something like this happen now. I kinda think that the war is real, but if all the Gargantia is a fake it's enough.
May 11, 2013 9:13 AM

Sep 2012
The usual "oh it is all imagination/fantasy" revelation... Now I even see someone went to great length to show this is the case even in the SoL anime Yuyushiki... Isn't it popular these days?
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
May 11, 2013 9:25 AM

Aug 2010
I really hope that's what happens.

I really hope that something happens, because I have the feeling it'll stay its "waterworld slice of life" up to the final episode, where they hint at another season or something.

They better not.
May 11, 2013 9:31 AM
Oct 2012
symbv said:
The usual "oh it is all imagination/fantasy" revelation... Now I even see someone went to great length to show this is the case even in the SoL anime Yuyushiki... Isn't it popular these days?

Two examples don't make something popular. And if it doesn't contradict anything that has been shown, then what exactly is wrong with it? If you have an issue with the theory then point out where it fails, if not all you are really doing is acting like one of those trolls who go on to a site only to say that a show sucks without providing a reason.

And if my theory is accurate, it would not be a "fantasy". The things would actually be happening to him and what is happening would have a profound impact on who he is going forward. That is far from being a "fantasy".

Rebas: part of my theory is to incorporate what has been shown, it also resolves some of the contradictions from that scene. First, when the mission was being described the attack Ledo participated in said that if "humanity lost, we might as well consider this war over", and that the attack including the bulk of the Alliance forces (which were mostly wiped out). If my theory is correct than humanity is not under such a threat, the battle sequence was created to test how Ledo would respond in such a situation. A test he responded with flying colors. If my theory is not correct, then we already know that humanity has lost.

It also answers the simple question of how exactly did he end up on Earth. I mean considering how far the Alliance appears to be, the odds of his happening to be sent to the one planet where humanity exists is so overwhelming astronomical as to stagger the imagination. THAT alone would turn this series into a pure fantasy. But if my theory is true, then this impossibility makes perfect sense.

Now of course the writers could have glossed over this (I respect them too much to pretend they are not aware of this), but that they have continued to point contradictions begs the question as to why they are doing this. My theory is an attempt to resolve all of them. The therapy method has been consistent, start with what he is comfortable with (war, scarcity, bias, efficiency) and then wean him to the opposite reality (peace, enjoyment, acceptance, relaxation).
May 11, 2013 9:50 AM

Sep 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
Two examples don't make something popular. And if it doesn't contradict anything that has been shown, then what exactly is wrong with it?
Not saying there is anything wrong, but just can't help being intrigued by seeing this "everything is just in your imagination" speculation coming up for 2 shows in the same season that are widely different, and in the space of just a few days. Don't you think such coincidence would naturally prompt thought of popularity even though it may not be really the case in fact?

Takuan_Soho said:
And if my theory is accurate, it would not be a "fantasy". The things would actually be happening to him and what is happening would have a profound impact on who he is going forward. That is far from being a "fantasy".
I said "imagination/fantasy", your theory is basically that things we are seeing are in Ledo's imagination, so I don't see how what I said does not match what you are proposing.
symbvMay 11, 2013 9:53 AM

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
May 11, 2013 10:20 AM
Oct 2012
symbv said:
Not saying there is anything wrong, but just can't help being intrigued by seeing this "everything is just in your imagination" speculation coming up for 2 shows in the same season that are widely different, and in the space of just a few days. Don't you think such coincidence would naturally prompt thought of popularity even though it may not be really the case in fact?

"Naturally". LOL, no that is a troll thing to do. It would be like going on Love Life and complaining about it because we just had another idol show the previous season. Shows and theories stand or fall on their own merit, not because they were released around the same time.

symbv said:
I said "imagination/fantasy", your theory is basically that things we are seeing are in Ledo's imagination, so I don't see how what I said does not match what you are proposing.

Because there is a somewhat huge difference between someone spontaneously dreaming something independently and someone reacting to external stimulus provided by a third party.

But again, that has nothing to do with the theory I proposed. If you don't like then theory in general then no one is forcing you to either read or respond. If you don't like the theory how about saying something specific about it? Otherwise no harm is being done so why do you care?
May 11, 2013 10:27 AM

Sep 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
"Naturally". LOL, no that is a troll thing to do. It would be like going on Love Life and complaining about it because we just had another idol show the previous season. Shows and theories stand or fall on their own merit, not because they were released around the same time.
Complain? Did I sound like complaining? I saw two similar speculations coming up within a few days of each other and for two very different shows, both of them in the same season. How likely it is for it to come up compared to seeing two idol shows in one season? And if it is really that likely, then shouldn't it be an indication that this kind of thinking indeed holds some popularity?

Takuan_Soho said:

Because there is a somewhat huge difference between someone spontaneously dreaming something independently and someone reacting to external stimulus provided by a third party.
I don't deny that, but as I said, these all could be placed under "everything you see is not real" line of thinking, and so there is certain similarity there.

Takuan_Soho said:
But again, that has nothing to do with the theory I proposed. If you don't like then theory in general then no one is forcing you to either read or respond. If you don't like the theory how about saying something specific about it? Otherwise no harm is being done so why do you care?
I am not sure why you think I don't like your theory. Did I say whether I like it or not? I was just making an observation that I have read something a bit similar for another very different show this season. Are you reading too much in my post?

May 11, 2013 10:37 AM
Oct 2012
symbv said:
]I am not sure why you think I don't like your theory. Did I say whether I like it or not? I was just making an observation that I have read something a bit similar for another very different show this season. Are you reading too much in my post?

LOL, yes, that is all you meant to say. Consider the message received and feel free to move on.
May 11, 2013 12:13 PM

Mar 2012
It's an interesting theory... but I would be pretty pissed if it turned out to be the way they do it. Would make it all seem worthless at that point.
Let's go bowling.
May 11, 2013 7:09 PM

Jan 2009
lol this kind of theory/story is really influence by THE MATRIX Trilogy
its Simulated Reality all over again

Simulated reality is the hypothesis that reality could be simulated—for example by computer simulation—to a degree indistinguishable from "true" reality, and may in fact be such a simulation. It could contain conscious minds which may or may not be fully aware that they are living inside a simulation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulated_reality

but if this theory proves to be true then its great since humanity's existence in the future maybe governed by computers and simulations anyway

More topics from this board

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - Jun 30, 2013

499 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:50 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bastek66 - Jun 23, 2013

340 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:45 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 16, 2013

261 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:35 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2013

344 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:24 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 2, 2013

667 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.