Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Apr 28, 2013 7:09 PM

Nov 2011
Really enjoying everything about this show. I love that they are tackling the language barrier gradually and not just flashing to a point where he speaks fluently. Also interesting to see Ledo's memories and also hear about how weird life in the Galactic Alliance is.

Oh, and also

(image under spoiler)

XD
Apr 28, 2013 7:37 PM

Dec 2012
Slow but good episode. The super-soldier is slowly being deprogrammed by the primitives =D

And yes, he is an L-Elf clone, or vice-versa =D

Definitely top 3 with "Shingeki no Kyojin" and "Hataraku Maou-sama!" for spring shows!
Apr 28, 2013 7:51 PM

May 2012
Really loving this show deeply~
It could easily be one of the more memorable anime shows if things are pulled off well enough!

I am sooooo glad this isn't a mecha show (MJP and Valverave got that covered just fine), but really more of a show about Ledo finding humanity as someone else on here put it.

That scene when he had that flashback was really touching and I cried right along with him T_T
Apr 28, 2013 7:52 PM

Mar 2012
W're about 1/3 way through the series already...I wish it's gonna be longer. Nothing really happens, but the whole setting is just really nice. Plus, it looks like Red is gradually going to find his own humanity on Gargantia. I wonder what'll happen when he does find the coordinates to go back to space.
Apr 28, 2013 8:04 PM

Jan 2011
A rather calm and slow episode but I loved it! Ledo's way of thinking and his overall lifestyle is so different compared to people on Earth. So seems like Bevel blowing into the flute reminded Ledo of his 'brother'. That was quite emotional seeing him cry. I really like how Ledo is trying so hard to speak their language. :)
Apr 28, 2013 8:07 PM

Dec 2011
Dat_Walrus said:
ainky said:
jayvon said:
I love watching this anime. I wish they made it longer.

This.

x2
Apr 28, 2013 8:19 PM

Aug 2010
That was a nice and calm episode. Was sad to see Ledo cry in the end. I'm expecting more of his past to be revealed later on.
Apr 28, 2013 8:28 PM
Jan 2010
I like the series. I like the friendships and the little bit of back story we got today. I keep bracing myself for any unexpected deaths...I mean it's so heart-warming right now that I keep thinking something big and tragic is going to happen at the end...Urobutcher...what are you planning to do? :'D
Apr 28, 2013 8:31 PM

Jun 2011
awww Ledo was too cute during this episode *q*
Apr 28, 2013 8:49 PM

Jan 2012
Ledo cried @@
i wonder who`s the other that looks like ledo :O
Apr 28, 2013 8:50 PM

Nov 2011
iTsukiko said:
Ledo cried @@
i wonder who`s the other that looks like ledo :O

It was clearly L-Elf.
Apr 28, 2013 8:51 PM

Jun 2011
Good episode, very introspective, love it.
Apr 28, 2013 9:07 PM

May 2012
So calm and heart-warming. I wonder if this is staying like this. The thing about his past was interesting.
Apr 28, 2013 9:39 PM

Feb 2013
Sigh, this series seems to be starting to go exactly where I didn't want it to go and I hope it doesn't become it's downfall.

This episode was better than last week, but not as good as the first two. This series is beginning to go down predictable territory and that's what I dread.

Here we see Red trying to understand Gargantia's society in comparison with his own people, who are much more strict and controlled in nature. The Alliance is completely run by war and everything is made to be efficient and run smoothly, even if that means losing some of the humanity within the Human Galactic Alliance. And while I don't agree with their views, I can understand where they come from. Humankind probably had a hard time trying to survive in space, and eventually it adapted into a more cold and controlled environment in order to cope. It actually reminds me a little of ancient Rome or Athens.

Bevel is a really wise kid and he gives new meaning to "out of the mouth of babes".

All that said however, I hope this show doesn't just become a paint-by-numbers "soldier boy learns to become nice, simple, 'life is precious' Earth boy" series plot, because that would be totally boring and a waste of a good series, imo. I like that Red is learning to become his own man, but I hope these downtime slice-of-life episodes don't become a trend.

I give this episode a 7/10.
Apr 28, 2013 9:55 PM

May 2012
Ko Ko Ga i i。
Che i N Baa、Chi Ka Ku。Be N Ri。
Mo N Da in Na i。

Good episode cause there's no mecha action scenes.
Production IG's terrible at mecha action.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Apr 28, 2013 10:00 PM

Nov 2012
nice episode :D

Ledo is now learning the language a lil bit.
Im just just wondering who is in the flashback!? Ledo's friend? or little brother? i think its not lil bro since he dont know the word FAMILY :)
Apr 28, 2013 10:04 PM

Nov 2007
This anime is exceptionally pleasing. I wish it had more episodes.

The animation is as always of top notch. The colours used make the whole anime so lively. The characters are lovable and the conversations are very deep. Loving this anime more by the episode! I hope it stays like this! :)

5/5
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Apr 28, 2013 10:07 PM
Jan 2012
So far, episode 4 is my fav out of all of the current episodes. Just as others have said, no mecha fights and pure character development. Finally, we get to see some emotion out of Red!! For this kind of show, I think 12 episodes are just right if it's focused primarily on Red's development towards being "human" and less of a military robot. It's a very quick development unlike other longer anime that stretches this development over time. There's no way this show can go beyond 12 episodes in my mind. (It's not like Valvrave where this kind of development needs more episodes to develop the two main characters.)

I am curious to see if Red went through some kind of brainwashing or repressed memories to forget all about that boy, who appeared to be one of the "undesirables". Which then means, Red forgot a lot about his childhood past, eh? Maybe, he was special back then by being friends/related to that boy? The higher ups found out so they punished Red and sent the boy out to be "destroyed(?)"? (Maybe, that's a government lie?) :( Poor kid. Red, how could you forget all about him? He might've been the one, who told you that thing you're carving is a flute!

Actually, that flute looks more like an ocarina to me.....
Apr 28, 2013 10:58 PM

Jan 2010
Spirai said:
AoiMizu said:
PoeticJustice said:
Nice ep.

Looks like Ledo is a clone.

wow..that will be DEEP......but its not impossible as most space people got sliver hair and purple eyes..

But if they just clone, then why in the first episode would Chamber suggest that Ledo go and reproduce a bunch during his four weeks (days?) of vacation?

Well this one confuse me right now...as you say, Ledo got vacation and he can reproduce in his colony. Does this 'reproduce' a.k.a having sex is a job or obliged to Ledo? Something they must done to produce more soldier to fight? Then, in this eps, Ledo do not know what is family or have feeling to be needed or need someone. In other word, Ledo doesn't have family,right?....hmmmm @,@
AoiMizuApr 28, 2013 11:09 PM

Apr 29, 2013 12:09 AM

Sep 2008
Excellent episode. Maybe the best one yet.
Apr 29, 2013 12:14 AM

Aug 2008
Brothers? Probably. If not, at least friends. They do look alike though, unless purple eyes and white hair are common traits in the Alliance.

Also, I have a conjecture if not a premonition. Chamber is high tech. It appears to have a rechargeable if not inexhaustible power source. Once they discover that, and the fact that they can offer superior tech, wouldn't tension arise? I mean, they have to depend on riding those currents just to get power...
Apr 29, 2013 12:17 AM

Jan 2011
Much better than the last episode. That sucks about Ledo's brother. Bevel makes a better heroine than Amy, his two scenes with Ledo have had more significance than all of Amy's.
VioLinkApr 29, 2013 12:28 AM
[center]
Apr 29, 2013 1:13 AM

Jul 2012
I think this is how you make a great slice-of-life, I drop most slice-of-life anime since they were too cliche or boring. But this anime is different, I feel attractive and relax.
Apr 29, 2013 1:26 AM

Jan 2013
I really like this episode for some reason. This is better than last episode
Apr 29, 2013 1:57 AM

Sep 2010
Such a touching episode. I teared up a little at the end.
Apr 29, 2013 2:06 AM
Feb 2012
Do you remember this scene from the first episode? It seems light hair (and purple eyes) are really widespread among the space dudes. And prolly cloning at least to some degree.

vopiApr 29, 2013 2:34 AM
Apr 29, 2013 2:15 AM

Aug 2010
the_trainman said:
Do you remember this scene from the first episode? It seems light hair (and purple eyes) are really widespread among the space dudes. And prolly cloning at least to some degree.

[url]http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/3008/suiclo.jpg[/url]

Nice find, totally forgot that one (I'd put it into a spoiler tho, waaaaay too big)
I want Rambo in a mecha-suit with a laser-chainsaw gun that fires nuclear warheads, fighting the love-child of Predator, Alien, a group of Bangladeshi terrorists, and Satan. (Actually that would be a pretty sick show) - StopDropAndBowl
Apr 29, 2013 2:24 AM

Jan 2010
the_trainman said:

THIS IS!...Alot of colony people got sliver/gray/ash hair color and seem to be clone to each other or generation perhaps?

Apr 29, 2013 2:25 AM

May 2010
This episode made me cry when he cried!! Maybe it was his sibling or best friend even T.T poor Ledo! <3 he is slowly starting to gain a heart! (Metaphorically speaking)
Apr 29, 2013 2:45 AM

Nov 2008
VioLink said:
Much better than the last episode. That sucks about Ledo's brother. Bevel makes a better heroine than Amy, his two scenes with Ledo have had more significance than all of Amy's.

Haha, agreed.
Definitely my favorite anime of the season though. Interesting universe, decent characters (unique at least), good animation, and it doesn't seem very predictable. I mean, obviously Ledo is gonna discover his more human side, but hopefully they won't go overboard with melodrama. The flashback was perfect.

Apr 29, 2013 2:59 AM
Oct 2012
I loved this episode so much

>that fucking flute scene ;_;
Apr 29, 2013 3:31 AM

Oct 2011
I really enjoyed this episode. Seeing Ledo surprised at new things, especially his reaction to rain. xD

And those tears. O_O And that flashback wow, maybe he had/has a brother? I think Bebel will be his salvation.
Apr 29, 2013 3:34 AM
Sep 2007
Best anime this season, also this shouldn't be a 12 ep series, more like 50+!
Hi
Apr 29, 2013 3:37 AM

Oct 2007
I really still don't know what it is about this show that has people so head over heels in love with it. I still can't come to any other conclusion than that it's getting a huge boost from the Gen Urobuchi (who again did not write this episode) factor. I mean it's doing nothing wrong by me, yet it's really not knocking my socks off. Sorry but for me the kind of character interaction I'm getting from Gargantia is pretty much of the meets standards variety.

Episode was alright, I mostly liked the back story on Ledo which felt fairly timely. Other than that honestly I just found it to be a decent episode and nothing ground shattering.
Apr 29, 2013 4:07 AM

Sep 2011
When Ledo shed some tears ;___; asjfkhsgkfjd lemme hug youuuuu ;~; <33333

Bebel is freakin' cutttteeee i want him as my lil brother too :'333
Apr 29, 2013 4:49 AM

Aug 2012
Hekshi_Sekshi said:
When Ledo shed some tears ;___; asjfkhsgkfjd lemme hug youuuuu ;~; <33333

Bebel is freakin' cutttteeee i want him as my lil brother too :'333
Unexpectedly powerful, I might say. ;-;
Apr 29, 2013 5:28 AM

Nov 2012
my heart ache when he cried T___T aww Ledo I really wanna hug him!
Your so-called peaceful world makes me bored, so don't blame me if I destroy all of it.
- http://worldinverse.smackjeeves.com
Apr 29, 2013 5:30 AM

Jan 2010
I really enjoyed the calm episode! It's great to see them slowly developing Ledo's skills language wise, he can only come out with short, choppy sentences and those sentences don't make grammatical sense. Exactly like how it should be when learning a new language!

Also nice to see the Child Soldier open up, his sense of 'humanity' is obviously changing. I think by the time the Alliance find him he may be very changed, and I don't know if the two cultures he's balancing will clash well. He's either going to have to stick to his Military hindsight or adapt the ways of Gargantia.

What I also found really interesting is the fact that the Doctor said they lost Ledo's technology! I always thought that they were behind, that Humanity on Earth had never even become as technologically advanced as the Alliance! That the Alliance, being in space, was ahead. But after that scene and more deep thought, I'm thinking that Earth once was as civilized technologically wise as the Alliance, but they lost it in the Flood of Earth.

Maybe only one group of Humans managed to escape to space and from then they had to adapt their harsh lifestyles and beliefs to survive? And with the flooding of Earth, all technology was lost and they had to build up from the beginning. The machines I've seen them using around the place remind me of stuff from the 60s to 90's? Also, their Yunboro designs really look like 1990 Mecha designs!

Enough speculating though xD Since this episode was a calm, character building and plot enhancing episode I have a feeling the next one will have some action! Let's see Chamber kick more puny Earth ass!
Apr 29, 2013 5:52 AM

May 2008
Alright episode , best part was seeing a glimpse of Ledo's past . Hope something happens soon though , and Ledo will start to show more emotions .

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Apr 29, 2013 6:01 AM

Oct 2007
I think this episode gave a lot more depth into Ledo with his currently situation and a quick insight to his past. Still a good episode and can still be enjoyable without any action.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 29, 2013 6:31 AM
Mar 2010
This show reminds me Kurt Russell's "Soldier"
Apr 29, 2013 6:41 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
ubic said:

That's actually a pretty good comparison.

It was necessary to get a bit of backstory to Ledo. That short flashback gave us some.

I get the feeling that this anime is going to launch a thousand doujinshis.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 29, 2013 7:13 AM

Oct 2012
Tears, tears everywhere T_T
I enjoyed it overall, can't wait until next week...

Also that MC is Ledo or Red?
I knew it's differential how to pronounce it...
"Signature removed"
Apr 29, 2013 7:37 AM

Dec 2012
Good episode. Decent slice-of-life anime show that doesn't make me bored.
Apr 29, 2013 7:46 AM

Feb 2010
Great episode. I really liked how the change of pace worked so well.. it flushed out more characters and made this show excell past it's other "mecha" counterparts. It looks like this show will be a lot deeper than I first anticipated, and I am glad to see it. :)

I knew Urobuchi is involved, so I did anticipate some unexpected flair thrown in...

Looking forward to next week.
Apr 29, 2013 7:55 AM

Aug 2008
AoiMizu said:
the_trainman said:

THIS IS!...Alot of colony people got sliver/gray/ash hair color and seem to be clone to each other or generation perhaps?
I think you're reading too far into it. While I'm sure they are genetically engineered (one of the most popular sci-fi cliches), hair and skin color can be explained by lack of natural light on spaceships.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Apr 29, 2013 7:58 AM

Dec 2009
I'm going to be honest and say that I didn't like this episode, and not just because it was slow. Having only just landed on Earth a couple of days ago, Ledo is already speaking the language (with a very contrived stumble, which is I suppose a response to the fangirl squeals over his "arigato"), and trusting the locals with Chamber, his last remaining connection to space.

I found myself like Chamber, unable to understand the course of Ledo's actions. Why is he putting so much effort into helping the Gargantians? Why is he seemingly so willing to become one of them? Why are the Gargantians acting like they're the ones doing him a big favor? And for someone who has known only war, he is catching on pretty fast to their way of thinking. We're not just talking about someone from another part of the planet, we're talking aliens here.

And what was Ridget talking about "exempting him from the freight charge of hauling this oversized cargo" ? Chamber isn't being hauled around, it's the one doing the hauling...
tealcactusApr 29, 2013 8:24 AM
Apr 29, 2013 8:00 AM

Apr 2008
ubic said:

More like Water world meets Eureka Seven
Apr 29, 2013 8:20 AM
Oct 2012
What a calm, and yet thought-provoking episode. There's the existential crisis brought up (I'm a sucker for this kind of concept). The definition of society in Ledo's world is so twisted, I'd definitely would not want to live there (It can't be helped though due to the danger posed by the Hideauze). Seeing Ledo cry proves that even though he's programmed like a robot, he is still a human.

Assuming that Urobuchi wrote the entire series, he might be trying his hand to focus on characters, since one of the complaints on his writing style are those. (Just don't kill the frail boy, please.)
Apr 29, 2013 8:22 AM

Nov 2009
Interesting Episode!!!

A very clam episode where Ledo starts to learn about the way the people live in Gargantia and he starts to show emotions towards the sound of the flute suggesting that he has a had a past to which is still to be shown later. I liked how Ledo and Chamber were willing to help out with everyone and their reactions to their surroundings such as the children playing, weather and people was pretty interesting to watch.
Guess Ledo's Galactic Alliance has very strict policies and I think Ledo is going to develop in Earth both in his character and knowledge and somehow maybe in the last episode:

Looking forward to the next episode!!

5/5

Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - Jun 30, 2013

499 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:50 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bastek66 - Jun 23, 2013

340 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:45 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 16, 2013

261 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:35 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2013

344 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:24 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 2, 2013

667 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.