Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Apr 18, 2014 10:20 AM

Feb 2014
Best anime ever
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 2, 2014 2:15 PM

Dec 2013
Really really nice ending even though its sad. This whole series was way more better then i expected
May 27, 2014 6:28 AM
Aug 2011
I will still give this a 9 BUT:

The ending was a let-down just like the clannad's, well this one is not that hardcore but still...

Also I couldn't take Kuze's feelings for Mizuki seriously.

Whatever, nice series. I think the first season was better.
Jun 29, 2014 9:47 PM

Jun 2013
Looks like Yuu was able to at least start moving on. Would have loved to see him and Nagi together though.

Great series, Shaft at their best :)
Aug 18, 2014 10:44 PM

Jan 2014
oh holy shit. I haven't seen a sad and depressing anime that is on a masterpiece level since 5 centimeters per second.

10/10
Recommend me an anime
Aug 30, 2014 4:46 AM

Dec 2013
Himura looked funny with that pink scarf.
Pretty great episode. R.I.P Yuuko. Can't say I wasn't moved.
But overall there was too much drama for my taste. I loved the artistic side though. 7/10

I don't understand the title.. only Kuze has something to do with melodies. In memories the title matched perfectly.
AizixAug 30, 2014 4:57 AM
Sep 29, 2014 3:32 AM

Aug 2014
one of he best anime romance i ever watched....i cried when when yuuko left
Sep 29, 2014 9:02 PM

Oct 2013
I love this ending so much, i did want something more form it i don't know what i just no that i do. but other then that i love it and this was a very diffrant ending to most of the other anime i watch.

Ending : 9/10
S.A
Oct 7, 2014 4:03 PM

Aug 2014
beautiful wrap up to everything.

if i had to compare, in terms of overall impact

yuuko/himura > chihiro/renji or hiro/miyako > kuzo/mizuki
Oct 29, 2014 4:22 PM

Nov 2013
Great comedy. The funniest scene was the one when Yuko gets run over by a car.

Being serious: I hate melodies wholeheartedly. The way it presents Yuko as a character is absolutely wrong.
She is clingy, vengeful, manipulative and cruel, but the show turns her into an angel.
This is only the tip of the iceberg, I may write a review after I rewatch the whole series.
Nov 15, 2014 5:17 AM

Sep 2014
It's funny how Yuuko the sadest and most broken of all heroines in this anime is the only one that doesn't get the happy ending...
Jan 7, 2015 2:47 PM

Jul 2010
I gave memories a 10/10 and I felt melodies was not as good as memories but I still think this was a great 9/10. Loved it.
Feb 3, 2015 4:03 AM
Jan 2015
I cried although I watched twice. Its not like "cheap" romance drama story like romance drama anime nowadays. Really really really deep love story T_T. Although I'm not insterested with Mizuki and Kuze story, maybe I learned some good experince from them. I think need some OVAs, what happen with Nagi and Himura after he met Yuuko? is Himura with Nagi now? how about Chihiro? is she still ... with her memories?
Feb 14, 2015 2:55 PM
Nov 2010
This was the first anime to really make me cry. The part that does it though is the dialogue between Ebullient Future and Ever Forever, partly because it tells you the characters generic roles n the story and that message they impart really lifted me at that part. Oh and lastly I really love those two songs!
Mar 2, 2015 10:56 AM

Apr 2014
Wow, I am a happy man now. I cried like a bitch.
Yuuko is awesome. Like real awesome.
Thanks for this masterpiece. It was slightly better than memories.
Memories is still awesome, but Melodies brings the whole thing into a new level.
I think that it is better because of the goddess named Yuuko
Thanks Shaft.
10/10
Mar 29, 2015 9:12 PM

Oct 2013
One word "masterpeice"
this anime was truely a work of art 10/10 Just like season 1 <3
shaft best studio!!
[/quote]
Apr 6, 2015 3:48 PM

Aug 2014
The ending is very elegant. Running smoothly by maintaining heartbeat.

Yuuko 'alive' even though he had died only because he had an appointment unmet with Yuu.

From the previous series, all characters are linked by the common thread is clarified in this series. Where they remain connected through destiny.
Apr 20, 2015 11:52 PM

Aug 2010
I feel as though the anime went downhill towards the mid-point of the series, also the ending didn't really move me as much as I expected it to.

still, exceptionally beautiful art and OST, definitely prefer S2 over S1 hands down
Apr 29, 2015 5:55 AM

Feb 2014
The ending was a masterpiece!

Series: 10/10
LOL
Jun 14, 2015 5:38 AM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
I really liked the Memories, Melodies were really forced for me. Although I understand the struggle of Kuze and Yuuko's love story it really didn't have any affect on me. I didn't like how characters and the story was presented; it has nothing to do with the art style. I was just indifferent about what's going on onscreen and that's not the point of drama, is it? Shame that these couple of scenes with Chihiro, Hiro and Kei we got were brought nothing to the story. They were like teasers and felt unnecessary in the end.
Jun 14, 2015 6:24 PM

Jun 2012
Decent end to a mediocre anime. Had both parts of this anime in my backlog for two years. Didnt want to watch because everyone said it was emotional. Very disappointed by this vastly overrated anime. Characters are annoying and all of them were assholes. Kuzes monologues were laughably corny and pretentious. The visuals were improved in Melodies and the soundtrack was fantastic again which were the only positives.

Fuck this gay earth.
Jul 21, 2015 5:21 AM

Aug 2009
naikou said:
So, uh... no happy end for Nagi? Yuu dumps her for Yuuko, then Kuze dumps her for Mizuki. And then Yuu doesn't go back to her even though Yuuko leaves.

Regardless, liked it as much as the first season. Good ending.

i may be wrong but i think it's more like open ending, he probably will go to nagi later (or so I hope, otherwise it would really suck for both of them)

series itself is a 9, gonna subtract a point for taking yuuko away so verdict is 8

still can't overcome the fact that she died such a stupid death... curse that fucking hit and run guy

didn't shed a single tear and now moving on
Aug 4, 2015 12:20 PM
Jul 2015
Shuhan said:
Decent end to a mediocre anime. Had both parts of this anime in my backlog for two years. Didnt want to watch because everyone said it was emotional. Very disappointed by this vastly overrated anime. Characters are annoying and all of them were assholes. Kuzes monologues were laughably corny and pretentious. The visuals were improved in Melodies and the soundtrack was fantastic again which were the only positives.

Fuck this gay earth.
fuck you mother assholes
Oct 5, 2015 6:41 AM

Oct 2013
I cried.

I think I probably liked Memories more, but I need to re-watch it to determine that. In any case, Melodies is still a lovely, beautiful series and a true work of art. The story and characters aren't anything special, but the presentation and themes are. A stunning series, truly, and I need to rewatch Memories for certain.
ZadionOct 5, 2015 6:53 AM

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Oct 5, 2015 6:44 AM

Jan 2014
I died.
Oct 31, 2015 1:24 PM

Jul 2009
Yuu and Yuuko's reencounter was touching...I didn't want she to disappear, I know she was dead, but...
7/10
Nov 3, 2015 1:06 PM

Sep 2015
I can't imagine myself giving this show anything lower than a 10.

It gave me all kinds of emotions with its amazing art. I'll never forget this show =')
Nov 30, 2015 6:58 PM

Sep 2012
bittersweetlove said:
Yuu and Yuuko's reencounter was touching...I didn't want she to disappear, I know she was dead, but...
7/10

I felt the same exact feels as you....
This is on the feels level of clannad afterstory and fate stay night ending(studio deen), which has never really happened to me before.
It ended in the most beautiful, bittersweet it could have,
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 13, 2015 7:37 PM

Jan 2010
This series felt a bit like watching Clannad AS...on acid
and with depressing characters

don't know what to say. It was ok but it just didn't do it for me. Some of the quotes said here were very nice. But the characters didn't really get to me, and most of it i was just watching to see just how it ends, pure curiosity.

6/10 from me, it was fine
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Jul 28, 2016 6:42 PM
Sep 2009
For me this season was far better than Memories. No retarded characters doing retarded things apart from few small moments.

Memories annoyed me way too much while this was a nice watch.
Sep 5, 2016 1:59 PM

Jun 2015
I didn't think I'd find an anime worthy of replacing anything on my favorites list again, but... yah, like most Shaft productions this one hits me right in the feels.

At the end when Yuko and Yu were on the rooftop and Yu was trying hard not to blink while saying he wasn't lonely or in pain... just... tears on mah face ;_;
Oct 4, 2016 3:36 PM

May 2015
well executed
yuuko and yu deserved better ;_;
Dec 18, 2016 6:55 AM

Mar 2015
I liked the part where every couple are connected to each other through key for roof top. That was wonderful.

So Yuuko is long dead after all.

Kuze survived?

Yuu is the one who made Otowa in Australia. I remembered he has a dream to create beautiful town just like Yuuko wanted, I see.

3.8/5

Overall: 6/10 but I enjoyed. I just remembered at the episode 1 that the moment this season will be a story about Yuu, I just didnt cared him much at all but he grew on me now.
Jan 19, 2017 10:54 PM

Sep 2011
Wow awesome finale
Apr 16, 2017 7:10 AM
Nov 2015
Melodrama of the highest order. No holds barred, no compromise. Just really really good melodrama with great great great writing.
I'm very hesitant towards melo and teenager genre, but every action that these characters take, especially towards the end, is so cute, so nice, so specific. Well, the best of my most hated genre still qualifies as a masterpiece.
Can't believe Renji's nearly ups Hiro's story. This one is very good, but cannot compare with the last half of ep 11.
Spent the first half of that ep yawning cuz I had lost interest in RenjixChihiro and kinda annoyed at the convoluted plot and explanation. But the second half completely resurrected it. Everything fell to its proper place. Must rewatch.
Why I like Renji's more than Hiro's (well, cannot expect this), is how they link literature and art and Chihiro's novel/diary to real life. Very meta. I thought she would commit suicide, which would also be great and dramatic. BUT THEN SHE just threw away her pages, which is an even more magnificent and well thought out action.
Chihiro's sudden recovery doesn't bother much, cuz they have said only the most vital and personal thing gets stored in her memory. And through all this, yeah, Renji has become her life source.
Apr 18, 2017 3:42 PM

Jul 2011
That was so dumb :/

1st season was much better.
4/10 overall.
Apr 18, 2017 9:33 PM
Nov 2016
Absolute masterpiece of romance anime. I prefer it over memories though.
Aug 17, 2017 8:28 AM

Sep 2014
Shafts excellent work carried this, beautiful OST and very artistic visual style.

This season was still very emotional but overall it felt inferior to the first, Yuukos death felt forced, Yuukos and Yuus reunion was nice to have but again very forced, Nagi is still lonely, Kuzes Lolicon urges made him survive the surgery.

I personally think the memory loss thing from Chihiro was way better integrated into the first season then this bunch of people here. It should have left our season 1 protags out and not involve them that heavily, it was a bit distracting.

What made me really curious was what Miki said in the very end "A lie told for the sake of others is no lie" - maybe season 2 only happened in Yuus head and he committed suicide to give his heart to kuze? Im gonna stick with that theory now.

Im tempted to rate this lower then 8 but Shaft did a splendid job with the art and OST so I will go with 8 again.

note - Im really curious, since when has this one a higher score then Memories? I thought the overall view was that Memories was better?
Comander-07Aug 17, 2017 8:36 AM
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Nov 16, 2017 3:41 AM

Jul 2008
Bad end for Himura still. He's the only one without a date.
Dec 11, 2017 2:35 PM

Oct 2015
Great wrap up of the show and great closure of the characters. Everything pieced together in the end especially everyone was connected to Yuko, this series depicted that and also the end of everything. Too bad Himura is the only one alone, but what am I saying he will always be Yuki's first and and only love.

Even though I don't value ROM that much but this one will always have a place in my heart and its characters. I loved the emotional visuals when they set the mood and the music that went along with the visuals was splendid, and oh I forgot the message this anime possessed.

Its strange though that Kuze and Mizuki never kissed, I guess maybe the creators thought it would be creepy to viewers.

8/10 though for everything.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jan 2, 2019 9:20 PM

Oct 2018
What a beautiful ending.I will always remember this anime forever.
Mar 22, 2019 6:55 AM

May 2016
Beautiful, bittersweet, sadness, joy, this show is more than that.

HD_Jayasanka said:
What a beautiful ending.I will always remember this anime forever.
Same here.
Mar 30, 2020 9:02 AM

Aug 2017
Disliked whole show, waste of time. Yuuko angel, lame. I guess i prefer harems and school shows.

MireKreme said:
the 2nd season sucked compare to the 1st season. what im pissed off is that yuuko miraculously comes back n talks to himura n disappear. wtf was that. besides that meh it was decent. i wish himura choose the big booby onee-san.

Yup hot sexy Nagi throws herself at him, but he instead goes for dirty whore Yuuko who can't even stay alive
CarbonMDMar 30, 2020 9:10 AM
May 6, 2020 6:16 AM

Sep 2012
Just finished re-watching, I must say that this was indeed an excellent show. The ending will always be bittersweet and lasting.
Although this showed came out in 2008, its still one of the best until now.
Aug 9, 2020 3:36 PM

Apr 2019
Just finished rewatching this. Yuuko and Yuu's reunion and last moments together brought me to tears just like it did the first time round.
Aug 19, 2020 6:12 AM

Sep 2019
I don't know man it's a good show but there are few flaws. 6/10

Don't want to be salty but that's how it is.
Aug 3, 2021 1:07 PM

Feb 2020
Okay, that was beautiful. The ending with the characters "speaking to us" was... Wow. I don't have the words.

I was surprised to see Kuze well and alive, last episode really made it look like he died, but I'm glad he didn't, because I like him a lot and also because it fits the message much better that way. We know his illness is gonna kill him one day or another, but the operation gave him more time. Yes, that's ephemeral but everything is. We have to make full use of the time we have because this is precious.
And Yuuko and Yuu... They almost made me cry here. But I'm so happy Yuuko found salvation, and Yuu has been able to move on.

With that said I still have a few complaints, the biggest being about how Mizuki's relationship with Kuze not only is questionable due to the age gap but also didn't really feel like a romantic relationship, no matter what they said I've never stopped seeing them as friends.
But the little complaints I have overall aren't important, they didn't ruin the show.

So I give it a very strong 8/10 ! I loved it even more than Memories but I give them the same score because the little flaws still prevented me from giving it a 9. I would've given it an 8.5 actually, if MAL uses decimals.
May 7, 2022 6:15 PM

Feb 2009
Beautiful, I didn't expect much because the first season (Ef A Tale of Memories) didn't hook me so much, but this one, in addition to uniting all the pieces of history, touched on several subjects that make us reflect on life and how we live it.

"Miracles don't happen to those who only want them.
Only those who try to do so can aspire to divine salvation."
Sep 8, 2022 7:04 AM

May 2018
A beautiful way to end the show T_T even better than Memories.

8/10
Sep 8, 2022 7:09 AM

May 2018

rip fallen soldier
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » ef - a tale of melodies Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

angel999 - Nov 10, 2008

191 by lucio54 »»
Dec 18, 2023 7:40 PM

Poll: » ef - a tale of melodies Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

slayer545-sama - Dec 16, 2008

87 by Shocked »»
Nov 30, 2023 5:54 PM

Poll: » ef - a tale of melodies Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

slayer545-sama - Dec 8, 2008

196 by Shocked »»
Nov 30, 2023 5:54 PM

Poll: » ef - a tale of melodies Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

slayer545-sama - Dec 2, 2008

84 by Shocked »»
Nov 30, 2023 5:53 PM

Poll: » ef - a tale of melodies Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

slayer545-sama - Nov 24, 2008

89 by Shocked »»
Nov 30, 2023 5:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.