Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Aug 24, 2009 7:03 PM

Aug 2009
Great ending. It was great seeing Yuuko & Yuu back together even for a short time.

To be honest, I enjoyed this season more than the first... I'm gonna miss this show. T__T
Sep 12, 2009 6:00 PM

Jul 2009
EPIC EPIC EPIC EPIIIIICC This series was great in every way 10/10
Oct 5, 2009 2:35 PM

Jun 2008
i liked the first season better, i didnt like the characters in this one as much
Oct 5, 2009 11:22 PM

Jun 2009
Liked this season quite a bit more than the first, think this may get a 10/10 from me.
Oct 27, 2009 12:20 PM

Nov 2008
10/10... one of my favorite animes easily, I think I will never forget episode 6, which was so painful to watch and the ending was just bittersweet. Yuuko is such a sad, kind and beautiful character
Oct 30, 2009 8:31 PM

Oct 2009
10/10 As well.. it was so beautiful and sad. I actually got teary eyes towards the end.. There are few anime have actually done that to me!
Oct 31, 2009 4:23 PM
Oct 2007
Season 2 was great,

In season 1 I was already thinking that Yuuko was a ghost, and that she died in her past.
Even as I was expecting her to die near the end in season 2, it was still really sad to see her die like that.

In episode 10 the scene with "Angel's Staircase", I thought Yuuko was a Angel who was returning to heaven

This episode was really wel done, its a shame that in the end Yuu didnt believe in miracles.
Even though Yuuko was there, that itself was a miracle.
And I really liked the part where Yuuko had wings.

10/10 for this serie's, this is the second anime that I gave a 10!
Nov 1, 2009 6:56 PM

Oct 2009
Archer-1989 said:
Season 2 was great,

In season 1 I was already thinking that Yuuko was a ghost, and that she died in her past.
Even as I was expecting her to die near the end in season 2, it was still really sad to see her die like that.

I was thinking the same thing about Yuuko. I was expecting her to die at some point. And I just knew what was going to happen when I saw the ball bounce into the street. Even though I saw it coming it was still so sad..
Nov 14, 2009 6:52 PM
Apr 2009
10/10 !

ohh em geee
was a bittersweet ending :X
loved it
but
tears ! it equals clannad !
where ef is more drama
and clannad's more comedy
but both perfect romance tragedy.

ef s1 and s2 is <3
Dec 4, 2009 7:40 PM

Sep 2009
Just got done watching. Wonderfully done. Fantastic. Although I think I cried through the last three episodes. Some were happy, most were sad. This was one of the best romantic anime's I have seen. Everything was just on the mark, from the characters to the artwork to the music. You just can't help but to be part of that world. Everyone got their happy ending but Yuu. 10/10
Dec 8, 2009 8:46 PM

Jul 2007
wow i find it funny that i just got done with ef and im in the christmas season. What a treat this anime was. Am very glad I finally got around to watching it
Dec 19, 2009 2:46 AM

Dec 2008
I only liked the Miki and Kuze part.
Miki looked like Sailormon.

The Yuuko & Yuu part had too much strange drama for me.
she is orphan who got raped and humiliated by her stepbrother, bullied by her classmates and hit by a car, what a nice life ; (

I prefer Season 1
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 22, 2009 9:25 AM

Jun 2009
It was great episode. I loved Yuuko and Yuu part.It made me cry... I loved this season! I prefered first season untill Yuuko's past was revealed.
Dec 25, 2009 8:05 PM

Apr 2009
insan3soldiern said:
Definitely one of the best romance series i've ever seen, the Yuu and Yuuko story was freaking beautiful. 9/10, I honestly can't believe anyone would rate it lower than that.

Btw, it was interesting that Yuu and Yuko effectively are the primary protagonists throughout ef. Puts the first season in perspective.

rating this below a 8 is strange for this category anime.
i hope many peoples after seen this hopeful change there attitude against other peoples around them. And also try to value more between the bond they have. we only have 1 chance for getting alife so make the best of it.
Jan 13, 2010 11:58 AM

Aug 2008
woooow, EPIC END < 3
Yuuko x Yuu-kun the best couple in 'ef a tale of melodies'
Jan 16, 2010 10:31 PM

Aug 2009
It was quite a let down compared to first season.
6/10.
-Fixing-
Jan 28, 2010 7:46 PM

Aug 2008
slayer545-sama said:
That scene with Mizuki and Yuu was weird after, why would she hold his hand like a lover when she has Kuze? O_o Was a little strange there.

No its cuz Yuu was one of the first people that Mizuki held hands with after Yuuko. she said "its a habit" because she was told by Yuuko that holding hands helps the dreams go away, thats why she randomly shakes hands with Kuze when they first met. And she also says that Yuu was "Like a father" so its natural to want to hold your fathers hand.
Feb 10, 2010 2:07 PM
Aug 2009
This series was a great suprise for me. Because of ef - a tale of memories, which was very boring for m, I except something similar.

But, ef - tale of melodies, are fantastic. Even if it's not pure 10, it's still very nice. And story is more complicated, characters are more mature... so, in the end, I start to like this series ^^
End was really nice, it's happy - unhappy end ;)
Mar 17, 2010 8:07 PM

Aug 2009
I liked the first seaosn better. That's what came in mind after this ended. Nevertheless, a beautiful show which was so touching. Reminds me...how the hell did they manage to fit all that in just 12 episodes?!

I'm glad for Kuze and Miki. But Himura...
Not my perfect ending atleast. It might've been had Yuuko still been there.
What a bittersweet end. Something which leaves you with a sad smile.

8.5/10
Mar 22, 2010 1:49 PM
Mar 2010
Good ending 10/10 after alot of crying :d
Mar 25, 2010 6:31 PM

Jan 2010
I just realized if when Yuuko died, she was 16, then when Kuze met Miki, he was 16. And Miki (small Mizuki) was around 10 years old, so Kuza and Mizuki aren't really that far apart in age :p

Anywayssss, this was so much better than I expected it to be. I liked Memories, but the love triangle crud annoyed me, so I didn't want to bother with Melodies. But, when you're searching for an anime to watch, you stick with whatever you can find.

I have to say that I liked this season more than the first. It felt much more emotional to me. Most of all my favorite EF characters are the main characters in this season; except Chihiro and Renji... they are one of my favorites who were actually in Memories.

Well, I lovelovelove Mizuki x Kuza, and the Yuuko x Yuu storyline was just so depressing. This anime taught me a lot about how to deal with certain emotions, and how to live on happy even when you're feeling depressed.

Also, damnn. This anime has possibily some of the best art I've ever seen. Not the drawing in general, but some parts when you glance inside of a person and their emotions are visible painted (For example, Kuze talking to his Masks, or Yuu's sister in the fire). Those scenes and memories are drawn so beautifully. There's really no way to describe it, actually. They're drawn... realistically, maybe?

In all, I give this anime a 10 :D
Mar 30, 2010 10:25 AM

Jan 2010
It was a very beautiful ending.. My next best drama series after Clannad after story.

I just don't want people dying coz I always cry a lot, even though I'm not watching the series, just remembering Yuuko's face when she was talking with Yuu makes tears fall down my eyes. The first season did not really interest me that much butef a tale of melodies just left me speechless and crying.

I think I'm gonna rest a bit after watching this series, I've watched clannad and this consecutively, If I watch another anime like this again, I would not be able to handle it Y__Y
Apr 17, 2010 12:40 AM

Sep 2008
Fuck, i can't believe i cried watching romance anime

my first 10 for this genre
this is alot better than memories, because this one is more mature, complex, and emotional than the 1st season.
A greatest piece of SHAFT I must say...

WHAT CLANNAD ???
Apr 20, 2010 9:14 PM

Apr 2010
Finished it yesterday. SPEECHLESS! Words can't describe this show.
Apr 24, 2010 11:59 AM

Feb 2010
wow...just wow...

really liked the violin insert...T_T
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

May 12, 2010 12:25 AM

Feb 2008
Comparisons are disgusting. Everyone comparing this anime and thinking as it was exactly made like memories, therefore saying that memories was better than this one.

But what exactly is the reason comparing melodies to memories? 1 year passed since the airing of memories. I hope the ones comparing both anime watched memories as soon as they started melodies so their comparison can be ACTUALLY approved.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum. They should really do their whining at manga forums."

Stolen from Janethan23. Add in visual novel readers too
Jun 21, 2010 2:42 PM

Sep 2009
Beautiful.
Yuu x Yuuko is my favourite pair from ef series.
Jun 26, 2010 12:39 AM

Apr 2010
WHHHYY YUUKO?
Jun 27, 2010 10:15 PM

Jun 2010
what a great anime...

even better than clannad...

i cried for the first time hahhaa...

i've been watching so many drama romance anime...

but this the only anime that let me cried >.<

the worst part is, I was crying on the computer shop! LOL!
Jul 6, 2010 9:26 PM
Jun 2010
the ef series is among the best anime i've ever watched. it was definitely emotional and the artwork was simply exquisite. and of course, the ending was done on a positive note.
Jul 17, 2010 10:29 AM

Aug 2009
I loved the ending X.X
10/10 It was just amazing
Jul 18, 2010 10:24 AM
Jun 2009
The ending for Himura and Yuuko was so sad...

Does Yuuko tell Himura to move on and find a new girlfriend or something near the end? That's what I interpreted by her telling him to give someone else the bliss he gave her...

Don't know why some people were comparing yuuko with jesus/mary because that comparison is way off.

Anyways, great series, a real tear jerker.
IntranetusaJul 18, 2010 11:59 AM
Aug 4, 2010 10:19 AM

Aug 2010
Not sure where to put this, but I figure if there is an answer to be found, it would be after watching the final episode of this series.

Does anyone know the meaning of "Ef" in the title? I figured it would be revealed over the course of the anime but in that case I must have missed it since I do not recall it's meaning ever having been discussed.
Aug 6, 2010 9:30 AM

Oct 2008
Better and more adult than first part. Best romance show I saw until now.

8/10
psygolNov 15, 2010 8:26 AM
Aug 7, 2010 4:37 PM

Sep 2008
One of the greatest anime I've ever seen before.

Also I liked Melodies more than Memories. By a long shot.

10/10
Aug 21, 2010 9:56 PM

Jul 2009
Melodies delighted me alot, although overall they were both very amazing. The way every characters were connected through each others was splendide, and the relation to the past and the future, along with the symbolic keycharms, was something I wont forget. This must also be the first show where I love to watch its opening, since there is always something unique in each of them

The ending was great, though I expected it, I couldn't tearjerk over it =(. Nevertheless, This anime gave me more than what I had anticipated, I give it a 9.
cheeriozSep 10, 2010 6:45 PM
Sep 25, 2010 6:10 AM
Jan 2008
DeathfireD said:
noteDhero said:
slayer545-sama said:
noteDhero said:
Cloud1234 said:
noteDhero said:
Well, that was a meaningful ending, but...the ends just don't justify the means for me. This season was a practical copycat of last season, and, figuratively I get it, but everything was just so dramatically predictable that this show really lost its impact. Everyone except fore Yuuko and, technically, Himura get a happy ending, and pretty bows get tied to all of the plot lines. I was just particularly underwhelmed by what was a pretty good show in Memories. I don't know...this show will probably get somewhere between a 4-6, I'll just have to sleep on it.

So it was predictable that Amamiya will burn himself. It was predictable that Yuko will die in a car accident. It was predictable how all the characters were chained together. If Yuko and Himura will actually meet and what will they say was predictable.
What ever if you can read the future thats fine for you.
Anyways i loved this season as well. Another unique creation that follows Memories steps. It completes the 1st season so match. It was really well-made. The animation the music the openings the endings.Everything.
I loved Yuuko so much.Im amazed at how much the character development was in only 12 eps.Well anyways i gave it 9/10. Really nice.
PS> At the ending of final ep When Himura broke the nails and left himself free i got the chills.

It was predictable because, generally, it was the same structure as Memories. Yuuko was clearly dead in Memories, so when the scene came around in Melodies, I knew she was going to get hit by a car, it was almost shot for shot from Rumbling Hearts. I said so in the discussion there if you don't believe me. Amamiya had to die, but did I know he was going to die in a fire...no. All the characters were linked together from the beginning in Memories, so no, it's not predictable, it's just an established fact. Nothing Yuuko or Himura said to each other was at all original. The gist of the converstation was, "Here's the gift I couldn't give to you, but you gave me the gift of loving you, and now I'm alright now that you're dead...I just had to say that to you." Not at all original.

I can't read the future, but what is overdone is overdone. What I liked about Memories is that it was rather daring in how they presented the show, especially concerning direction, lenses, and perspective. But there were too many times in Melodies where I was saying to myself "that's just like this scene in Memories, or this storyline in Melodies really feels the same as this storyline in Memories."

As I said, that may have been the goal from the beginning to parallel Himura's vision of creating the city in Austrailia, but it definitely was at the behest of having a fresh story, and fresh visuals.

Don't feel the same as you noteDhero but I understand your point. Then again shouldn't this parallel thing you mentioned essential to making Melodies work with Memories. I don't think it would work out otherwise.

Yeah, that was just an assumption. I really do think that this feeling of parallel-ness or sameness between the two is intentional, but for me it feel more rehash than nostalgic i guess.

I think both series where originally supposed to air together. That would explain why they feel almost the exact same.

The second season, in my opinion, was too rushed and less artistic and emotional then the first one. It really was predictable for the most part. They used a lot of generic things from other popular romance dramas which I found strange considering the first season was more original and more shocking. I felt way more emotions in the first one then in this one.

This episode in particular was way rushed and felt out of place. I was expecting them to pick up from where they left off in the last episode and explain what Mizuki wrote on the paper. In staid it felt like we where missing a whole episode's worth of content.

The ending was indeed touching...I just wish they spent more time on the rest of the series. I still think the first season was the best and don't plan on changing my mind.

BTW. Yuuko was born in 1982 and Yuu is Yuuko's sempi so we can guess that Kuze is 27 and Mizuki is turning 18 (Kuze says "next year Mizuki will be an adult."). Thats way to much of an age difference for me. Totally destroyed any hope of my accepting their relationship.

its not that huge. For instance, Catherine Zeta-jones or Celine Dion have a bigger difference. What matters is that they truly love each other for who they are. It's not like she is 5. She at the legal age and reached maturity level to make her own love life decisions.

Liked the closure with Yuu and Yuuko. Haha you can't spell Yuuko without Yuu.. lame i know.

sameness predictable unrealistic

I live in Los Angeles since 1980. I know how fck up this world can be. This is far from being even remotely dark or true despair. The closest story was Yuuko's story.

Are you serious? Honestly, where did you people see this was going??????????
Did you people think this was a comedy? Sure they used a triangle love again with another guy in love with one of the girls. But I absolutely loved Nagi crossing out her picture with red paint. It was a beautiful portrayal of how she hates her body because he doesn't love her. Then the scene where she could finally paint herself she draws blue lines down when kuze was playing the violin. Artistically, more stunning than the triangle in ef memories.

Of course it was predictable.They hinted every step of the way. Who didn't this fag being a fcking psychopath? Let me show all the hints if you didn't.
1. that picture for starters
2. Her taking all the bullying instead of telling anyone or emote (means she is used to it)
3. Yuuko says she is lying on the date.
4. She starts a fight with the students who tried to open her bag (obviously that was some sort of weapon, why else would she be so sensitive of her opening it and cloth covering looks like a weapon)
5. He doesn't give a fck about her fight when Yuu told him
6. Looks like a psychopath, smells like a psychopath, babies cry from seeing his face, usually turns out to be a psychopath.

Sure there wasn't a creative disease like ef memories where omg 13 hours and she loses all her memories, in turn makes it more different from most plotlines. However, melodies was entirely different in artwork. More red color tones and deeper darker colors. Who could ever forget episode 6? Chihiro is forced to wear a mask because of her illness, while kuze wears due to hedgehog dilemma. A lot symbols of hiding their true selves. When Miki shatters his mask by answering all the why questions with Because I love you. The reflected word play. Melodies demonstrated more refined draft of memories, artistically.

Now for the story, I would tweak Yuu and Yuuko story. I have two alternate that comes to mind one happy and other sad. The happy one would be Yuu kicking Amamiya in the balls then beating his ass. Next, report to the police so the fcker can be raped in jail. Lastly, Yuu and Yuuko leaves the city of sorrow and start a new romantic life together. Because in the story, the love between them in the story really didn't feel they loved each other. It felt like Yuu was obligated to love her. He turned his back while he is in bed with her instead of spooning and caressing her. They didn't have scenes together. It was like Tomoya and Nagisa I would like to have baby line. There was no romance.

Now for the sad ending. Seeing how she had to die. When Amamiya found where they were living, he met Yuu at the bridge. He goes back to apartment seeing Yuuko's dead body. This is what I expected to happen instead of a hit and run because Yuuko didn't look both ways in traffic. What is the speed limit in neighborhood area? It look like the person was driving over 50 mph. It looked like she got hit by a bus. In Curious Case of Benjamin Buttons, the girl got hit but only broke her leg in a crowded area. This was the main issue i had with show.

Other nit pickings: the way they end it the words didn't have feelings of love. Of course he said he love her but it just felt empty. The scene I was looking for was he was holding her hand while looking into her eyes and says I love you and you will always be in my heart. Something cheesy like toradora with kiss of 10x.

Regardless of the issues, we have our own imagination to change into our own likings. I give it 10/10 for being most aesthetic piece of work since Gankustuou and not being a clannad ending. I would like to see more different style drawn animes. If you know any send me comment on my channel. I've seen La Maison en Petits Cubes, Bakemonogatari, and Gankutsuou.
batman3456Sep 25, 2010 12:30 PM
Oct 21, 2010 1:15 PM

Jun 2009
Pretty episode, nice ending, quality top notch, Nothing more to say except this should be Watched!

Nov 14, 2010 4:27 PM

Feb 2010
Nice complete ending. Had to watch this ep in shit quality :/ and again I like how the made the opening having them all free and stuff. Really like this season compared to the 1st which I don't like much.

8/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 2, 2010 3:33 PM

Dec 2009
After just watching this and 'Memories' pretty much back-to-back... I have to wonder what went wrong with Shaft over the past couple of years. This series was a work of art good enough to rival classic KyoAni/KEY shows.

Well done, 'Melodies'... you are the second show thats brought me to tears... but not quite harrowing enough to top Clannad After Story ;)

One major downside though... of all the people introduced in 'Memories' and 'Melodies', Yuu and Yuko were the only ones who truly deserved to be together forever IMO, considering the level of suffering they went through. Miracles obviously dont exist afterall.
Dec 22, 2010 6:00 AM

Sep 2010
Epic ending to a superb anime............

Loved It....
Jan 20, 2011 4:28 PM
Oct 2010
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it's over!!! it's over, it's over!!!,,,,don't end so soon.....i just fell in love with you, why end so fast!!!! NOOOOO!!! cries...

It was a really beautiful anime....all the emotions, all the things they been through, all the romance........this is a great masterpiece and for me, the top number 1 anime no other can beat. How can they just end it???....i want it to continue....i'll really miss it....miss it so much.........can't find any other anime as good as this one.

makes me feel so lonely.....

the ending was a beautiful scene....all of them, despite the difficult times and suffering and pain, finally found happiness, found a freedom to their bondage.

I just hope reality is like this anime. But it isn't reality is boring....there's nothing like wat i find in this anime, but i really really really wish life can be like that....

Beautiful ending, the whole anime series is beautiful.....epic and wonderful

hope SHAFT can produce another anime like this one......i'm waiting.....
Jan 26, 2011 4:22 PM

Aug 2010
aero said:
'Twas beautiful. Was happy when Yuuko and Yu saw each other again but then.... ;____;

It was pretty downhill from there. Eh felt like it wasnt as good as 1st season. Gets a solid 7 from me.
Feb 13, 2011 11:54 AM
Apr 2010
Both Season
Makes Me Cry Its Make Me Cry than Watching Phantom Requiem

when i watching this from the start i get bored because
its very dramatic
when i reached ep 3 i got a little interest so
i watched till the end of melodies season
when i finish watching
i said to my self i want more of their stories
its really make me cry what a masterpiece
even though i didnt really watching drama
i want more of this kind of anime its make sense

Sorry For My Bad English Im Still Not Good Of It
Gomenasai :))
Feb 15, 2011 2:16 AM

Feb 2011
Great episode, liked how Yu was blinking when he said he was alright and then Yuuko began to tear up. Brilliant episode. Second in drama only to the Clannad series, but that final scene did bring me pretty close to tearing up a little(still way off the mark that Clannad managed).

Excellent. I'll give her a 10 =]
Apr 24, 2011 1:43 AM

Feb 2011
Both ef series are beautiful creations.. I especially liked the "father and daughter" scene with Mizuki and Himura, since Himura's love already has died and Mizuki's will probably die within some years, because of Kuze's illness. That way the two of them still have a "family member" to live on with, is what I thought.
Apr 29, 2011 9:11 PM

Feb 2011
I still cannot believe the way Yuuko dies... its just ridiculous... Horrible excuse to kill someone...

I totally hated it, but stills its a good ending...

PD: Screw you Himura...
May 20, 2011 3:13 PM

Mar 2010
MireKreme said:
the 2nd season sucked compare to the 1st season. what im pissed off is that yuuko miraculously comes back n talks to himura n disappear. wtf was that. besides that meh it was decent. i wish himura choose the big booby onee-san.

exactly, I mean, the story is goin well, we get tons of amazing visual effects, great music and then all of the sudden, just to turn everything into some kind of happy ending they get Himura to meet Yuuko? WTF

That dragged the show down a lot for me, hate when producers pull out this kind of S*** on final episodes. :\

One thing that always bothered me too is that Mizuki is probably 16/17 and Kuze is a lot older, like mid 30's right?
May 22, 2011 10:19 AM

Oct 2010
Mondego said:
One thing that always bothered me too is that Mizuki is probably 16/17 and Kuze is a lot older, like mid 30's right?

The gravestone for Yuuko said she was born in 1982, I think, and the anime aired 2007. So Kuze being approximately the same age would put him at about 25 years old.
May 22, 2011 10:48 AM

Oct 2010
I thought the first season was quite a bit better than this 2nd season. Much of that is due to the fact that they both follow almost exactly the same format, so I feel like I've seen it already. The dramatic and artistic things that were awe-inspiring in the original weren't as impressive this time around.

Also, I didn't like the story with Yuuko and her brother Akira as much as the other stories. The other stories seemed very natural, believable. It was easy sympathize with their behaviors. But the reasons Akira abused Yuuko, and Yuuko allowed herself to be abused, and her initial goal of hurting Himura for rejecting her as a child... It all felt forced to me.

Still it was a very good show. I gave it an 8 and the original I gave a 10. Though I'll probably move them to 7 and 9 respectively as the initial buzz wears off over time.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » ef - a tale of melodies Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

angel999 - Nov 10, 2008

191 by lucio54 »»
Dec 18, 2023 7:40 PM

Poll: » ef - a tale of melodies Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

slayer545-sama - Dec 16, 2008

87 by Shocked »»
Nov 30, 2023 5:54 PM

Poll: » ef - a tale of melodies Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

slayer545-sama - Dec 8, 2008

196 by Shocked »»
Nov 30, 2023 5:54 PM

Poll: » ef - a tale of melodies Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

slayer545-sama - Dec 2, 2008

84 by Shocked »»
Nov 30, 2023 5:53 PM

Poll: » ef - a tale of melodies Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

slayer545-sama - Nov 24, 2008

89 by Shocked »»
Nov 30, 2023 5:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.