Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Oct 27, 2008 4:01 PM
Aug 2008
Because Konata is the best.And there are alot of anime references.
Oct 28, 2008 5:37 AM
May 2008
It's a comedy slice-of-life and it's relatable. Satisfying for lolicons and enough parodying fandom for an otaku of any level. It's pretty much an animated version of life for a lot of Japanese teens and other wannabe foreign otaku.
Nov 19, 2008 7:32 PM

May 2008
I've heard Lucky Star being described as the "Seinfield" of the anime world, and I would take that as an accurate description. It's a show about...nothing...and you're either going to really like it or not.

Personally, I like Lucky Star because it doesn't require thinking. You just watch and let it happen. Unlike other anime where you have to keep an eye on every little detail and hang on every word of dialogue for fear of missing something. Besides, it's so relateable--I mean, who hasn't had the types of conversations that the girls have in the show? We've all asked our friends "Have you ever wondered..." "Have you ever noticed..." "You know when..."

Lucky Star is a prime example of Slice-Of-Life.
[font="TwitterChirp, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, \"Segoe UI\", Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]My Prostate is NOT the size of a lemon. [/font]
Dec 1, 2008 2:50 AM
Nov 2008
There's a lot of arguments why watching this anime is entertaining for me, but most important are great main characters, sense of humour and opening which I have on my iPod. :)
Dec 2, 2008 5:20 PM
Dec 2008
ooohhhh yeah!
Dec 2, 2008 5:33 PM

Jul 2008
the randomness is funny
Dec 5, 2008 5:57 PM

Dec 2008
Let's say that Lucky Star is EXTREMELY hit or miss.
Jan 31, 2009 4:06 AM

Dec 2008
I Love it, it's references to other Animes is just so great.
It's pretty damn accurate to, Konata pretty much sums me up.
It's accuracy on MMORPG Games & so on, I laughed out hard.

It's so cute too, you can never get bored of watching Tsukasa in the Opening lol

~Abs
Jan 31, 2009 5:25 PM

Sep 2008
ugh..
Episode 1 made me completely lose it's interest..
They talk about how to eat food......
wow.
I cannot watch this show.
Feb 2, 2009 8:38 AM

Feb 2007
I'm not sure when I ran into this series but I watched it right after I first saw Haruhi, the timing couldn't be better.

Lazyfulness said:
ugh..
Episode 1 made me completely lose it's interest..
They talk about how to eat food......
wow.
I cannot watch this show.

You should skip to episode 5, the series becomes much better due to a different director.
Feb 5, 2009 3:51 PM
Feb 2009
Well, i like it because I can relate myself to Konata and it is like seeing my life translated into anime. And all of that because I am just like Konata (lazy, otaku, pulling all-nighters to study, getting poor grades because of anime and way too much gaming), I have a friend of mine who is little bit like Kagamin (allways pissed because i'm too lazy by his standards, and he says I could spend the time Iose in anime to study), and I know the impersonation of Myuki-san (a firend of mine who hates dentists, is over-polite, and wears glasses because she tried to read at night with the lights off).

With that being said Lucky Star is my life and I LOVE IT! xD
Feb 7, 2009 2:01 AM
Jan 2009
I thought it was pretty fun... seeing people talk about the same things you talk about and such. I also relate greatly to Konata- I'm a gamer/manga/anime/toy collector myself and she acts just like I do in many real life situations.

I dunno, people who make posts about how they can't get into animes without plot, or animes that just talk about nothing for extended periods of time should get out of this genre. You don't go into romantic anime sections and post "oh god I don't get the point in watching two people awkwardly dodge the question of romance OVER AND OVER thing," do you? O_o It's just asking for trouble.
Feb 7, 2009 2:09 AM

Sep 2008
For me, some of the predicaments they get into are hilarious. I usually dislike anime with no storyline, and I tend to stay away, but I also heard that this was a very good show. The art direction was fresh to me and the characters were very cute. It didn't hurt to add a bunch of anime references in every other scene either; I love that stuff.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 9, 2009 3:59 PM

Jun 2008
I loved the art.
It's unique...
XD
Feb 12, 2009 5:01 PM

Dec 2008
I'm not a huge fan of Lucky Star, but I plan to watch it all the way through.
Sometimes it makes me laugh a little, and I really like Kagami and Lucky Channel amuses me (hell, I'd watch Lucky Channel if it was an anime on it's own...).
I don't like the argument of 'it has no plot.' Really it's no different from a lot of situational comedies in America or other animated shows, like Family Guy or South Park. Just because it's anime doesn't mean it has to follow some sort of code.
What I don't get is why so many people like it and laud it as the best anime out there, it's good enough and I can understand why some people would like it, but it's just not that good in my opinion. :3
Feb 12, 2009 5:02 PM

Jan 2008
cus it awesome and cute ;3
Feb 17, 2009 1:45 AM

Dec 2008
The opening is awesome,its so fast and energetic,Itried to sing somelines but its too fast.
Well I was always bored by the dialog during the school breaks.
I d prefered the scenes were the girls visited each other,went to the city or went to other activities.
Luck Channelu was always funny bad Akira > cute Akira XD

In one of the endings I think it was where the guy performed Melancholy of SH ending I laughed so hard.

Lucky Star combines realism with awesome funny Jokes therefore I like it.

One of my favorite scenes was where Kagami locked at the SousukexGauron Manga,and than ran away in despair XD
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 15, 2009 6:56 PM

Jun 2009
Kagami, nuff said.
Jun 20, 2009 3:53 AM

May 2009
Where's the guy who started this topic? Is he even reading these >_>

Simply put, Konata and Kagami makes the series awesome tenfold
Many real-life situations anyone can relate to
A touching epic win ep 22 about her that bumped my score by 1 point (from 8 to 9)
Great OP
EPIC WIN ED 13, 17 and 22, I GUARANTEE IT!
Otaku fandom
References
Cuteness
Moe
Self-references
Intentional stereotypes (tsundere, otaku, little sisters, etc)
Relaxing pace

What's not to like (unless you're some die-hard action fan who can't take the crap slice of life gives you)?
Jun 20, 2009 12:23 PM

May 2009
It gets better as it goes along.

KAGAMI YES
Jun 23, 2009 7:48 PM

May 2009
ender650 said:
I've only seen the first episode and didnt really like it, but because Ive heard so many good things I will watch some more episodes soon.

yeah i agree -
Jun 23, 2009 7:52 PM

May 2009
i am on episode 3 - its kinda dull - i love the shout outs to other anime like the meancholy of haruhi suzumiya and shuffle , wich were my 2nd and 3rd animei ever watched , but its not grasping my attention - exept i love comedy - especially seinfeld!!!
i am gonna force myself through it and see what happens.............
Jun 24, 2009 11:36 AM

Feb 2009
2 words...
moe... tsundere...
Jun 24, 2009 11:42 AM

Jun 2009
I agree with you, I find no enjoyment in this anime. It was really boring, just stupid humor if you find humor in it sometimes...

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Jun 24, 2009 10:51 PM

May 2009
Yeah some people have different tastes in humour. For example, I honestly don't think Toradora! is all that funny (my friends think it's really funny -_-) and neither do I think of Lucky Star being funny, I love Lucky Star for the great characters, although they can be loli, I'm not a loli. I never laughed out loud at all, probably a few chuckles here and there but I really enjoyed watching their everyday lives. I guess I'm just the kind of guy who loves slice-of-life. Honestly, I could relate to pretty much everything Konata went through although they never covered the sad parts, it's all about relating really and if you can't, it's boring.
Jun 24, 2009 11:01 PM

May 2009
Inariko said:
I thought it was pretty fun... seeing people talk about the same things you talk about and such. I also relate greatly to Konata- I'm a gamer/manga/anime/toy collector myself and she acts just like I do in many real life situations.

I dunno, people who make posts about how they can't get into animes without plot, or animes that just talk about nothing for extended periods of time should get out of this genre. You don't go into romantic anime sections and post "oh god I don't get the point in watching two people awkwardly dodge the question of romance OVER AND OVER thing," do you? O_o It's just asking for trouble.

Hi five man

It's like complaining over and over again that this cat doesn't have a tail but normal cats have so it's a taboo thus that cat is pure crap. Many slice-of-lifes don't have plot either, better understand or GTFO. The whole slice-of-life genre is about relating to characters anyway. If you can't, GTFO. Konata, Kagami, etc were pretty much made easily-relatable characters in the sense that they talk bout everyday things and have everyday obsessions and stuff like that
Nov 20, 2009 12:27 PM

Jul 2009
i liked it for the situational and satirical humor
though not everyone enjoys these kinds of humor
kg-san said:

Asu you're still a fragile flower... But its ok cause you're a beautiful flower!

花火花火花火 :D:D:D
Nov 26, 2009 2:56 AM

Sep 2009
Lucky Star is funny because it parodies anime stereotypes. The first few episodes are sort of... pointless.

But the later episodes, it gets much smarter. It also manages to parody anime without becoming over the top. Even though the characters have exaggerated poersonality traits they are still realistic. You could consider it an 'anime set in the real world'.

Watch all the way through before deciding whether you like it or not. And if you didn't, are you sure you understood the parody?

You could also go further and say it is a satire, criticising how the Otaku's lifestyle and obsession with anime isolates them from the real world.

That might be a little far, but it's sort of true.
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Nov 29, 2009 10:38 AM

Nov 2009
they talk a lot about nothing, but im actually into that kinda thing so i like series
Nov 29, 2009 10:53 AM

Mar 2008

I'm a big fan of Lucky Star, mainly attracted to it by it's moe, comedic references and such.

I find that a large percent of this shows haters use the "All they do is talk about food" standpoint after watching only one episode. Clearly, they haven't actually taken the time to watch at least 3-5 episodes where they might have found something that could have sparked their interest.

AirStyles said:
Kagami, nuff said.

Kagamin moe. <333

Inariko's second paragraph is also something too think about imo.

Dec 14, 2009 6:27 AM

Sep 2009
The real problem with Lucky Star is that the first two episodes are the worst, and it doesn't really get good until the 5th episode. The first two episodes are about nothing at all, and serve only to introduce the characters. There is not really an overall plot to the show, but each episode past the first few actually have their own plots.

For example, in one episode they go to a festival, in another an anime convention, in another one the beach ect. and it is not just trivial discussion about food. The jokes get much better (Kagami and Konata make a good double act).

I suggested my anime society should watch it, but found out they already had and hated it. But after checking a few MAL profiles, it seems they only saw the first handfull of episodes. You shouldn't really judge a series until your at least half way in my opinion (and certainly not after two episodes).
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Dec 20, 2009 3:47 PM

Jun 2009
I just don't get it. (shrugs) I just don't get it. What exactly r people rating this for anyway? I don't get it - It puzzles me even more knowing that people are liking it without being even able to tell u why (shrugs)-...
Dec 23, 2009 8:53 AM

Dec 2008
I think people like the anime because of the characters.
Think on that, any character in Lucky Star is actually a perspective of all the people in the world who can choose with who they identify, like for example, the otakus are identifying with Konata. Why? Because she expresses them: She reads Manga, watches animes and plays video games, such as them and because of that, they think she is their goddess.

Did you understand?

And that's it. Na-no-ne/De-aru/Relo XD
Dec 23, 2009 9:01 AM

Oct 2009
i liked the humor between konata and kagami
Jan 7, 2010 10:28 PM

Oct 2009
This is terrible. Unless you're the kind of person who buys pocky on J-list I would avoid this anime. Just turn on your tv and watch Seinfeld re-runs instead. It's not funny and it's full of obscure japanese pop culture references that you will not get without looking on wikipedia (mandom etc) (and even if you catch them they are unfunny). I already downloaded the whole thing and watched 6 episodes, shit, i really don't wanna finish this crap but by now i kinda feel obliged. At least the Lucky Channel shorts are mildly amusing.
Jan 30, 2010 7:20 PM

Apr 2009
I don't know. I asssume that people who liked this also liked Meet the Spartans/Disaster Movie/Epic Movie etc. Yes I compared Lucky Star to a Friedberg/Seltzer production. They're both unfunny and rely on cheap references. Seriously I can't believe no one came up with that comparison yet.
My vision is augmented.
Feb 7, 2010 12:37 PM

Jan 2009
i liked it cause it's so absurd:P they discuss about little stupid things for hours=D and Konata is really one of us!
Mar 28, 2010 6:43 AM
Aug 2009
Because it's simple.
Mar 28, 2010 8:37 AM
Feb 2010
I agree. Lucky star isn't anything special.
It's below average.
Mar 29, 2010 8:00 AM

Jun 2009
This show just feels like an otaku recorded his friends talking about anime and video games at lunchtime. I don't see the creativity, I might as well have made a series like that myself for the lulz.

And for those who said that it's wrong not to like something you haven't finished (or along the lines of that), I don't see the point on finishing something that stopped interesting me the moment I started watching it. I gave the show 3 more episodes of my mercy.

Also, some of us CAN be slice of life fans and still not like this show. Azumanga Daioh made me chuckle and like the characters.
And before you call me a troll, I don't think I insulted anyone with this post. I guess some people do like it because they're into that kind of humor, they like little girls, or they just relate to that stuff. I don't.

You may yell at me now.
Mar 30, 2010 7:40 PM

Jan 2010
Kagamin makes the show for me. I mostly watch it if I'm in an empty brained mood then I can get a few episodes done. I do watch the dub though just because I need to be able to do something else while watching and rewinding to see the subtitles makes my head explode. ._.

But Azumanga Daioh>Lucky Star.
\
Aug 23, 2010 6:36 AM

Aug 2010
When watching lucky star, does anyone else get an Aria kind of vibe?
Aug 23, 2010 6:39 AM

Jun 2009
I thought it was funny, simple as that.
No matter how good you are at something,
there's always about a million people better than you.
Aug 30, 2010 12:26 AM

Aug 2010
This anime gets off on its charm. If it doesn't pull you in with it you won't enjoy it. But otherwise it's really enjoyable.
Aug 30, 2010 7:47 AM

Jul 2009
I love Lucky Star. I absolutely love it.

Personally, I think it's completely love-it-or-hate-it. Maybe it's a cop-out, but I think you either "get it" or you don't "get it." And by "get it," I don't mean "Oh, you just don't 'get' Evangelion... You don't understand the symbolism..."

Let's face it, Lucky Star is essentially just about four adorable girls, living their high school lives, from different economic/cultural backgrounds, their silly conversations, and their cute friends/funny families. That's it. That's all. And I love it. I love that Miyuki-chan can't use eye drops properly. I love that Konata drives the sales guy at the anime/manga store insane. I love that Tsukasa finds enjoyment in repeating "balsamic vinegar." I love that Kagamin has to watch her weight or else she gets chubby, just like "real" girls.

That said, I would ask the question, "Why do people like Bleach/Naruto/Hunter x Hunter/any anime series where 100+ episodes focus on becoming stronger, powering up, accumulating more chakra, etc.?" I find the same old shounen plots recycled, the main characters dull, the women (usually) whiny and helpless...

Who knows? It's just one type of anime. You either get it or you don't.
Aug 30, 2010 11:44 AM

Jan 2009
PrincessAruri said:

That said, I would ask the question, "Why do people like Bleach/Naruto/Hunter x Hunter/any anime series where 100+ episodes focus on becoming stronger, powering up, accumulating more chakra, etc.?" I find the same old shounen plots recycled, the main characters dull, the women (usually) whiny and helpless...

its a perfect point of view!! i dont hate shounen series but one's plot is absolutely close to others and same old power-up things.. i prefer watching 4 girls that are so ordinary but too cute funny^
Sep 4, 2010 4:29 PM
Sep 2010
Well, I just started watching this show today. I'd heard a lot about it, so I figured I would give it a try. The weird part is... I loved it.

The weirder part is... I have absolutely no idea why.

The first episode wasn't that funny (although, after reading the comments, I've realized that it's going to get better), and the topics are so random, but it's just so enjoyable. It's true that I relate to some of what they're saying... And maybe it's just the complete lack of a plot and utter randomness that makes me love it. It's just a really fun show.

Oh, and also, my brother watched it with me (he left halfway through), but for the first eight minutes of the first episode where they talk about food... We were trying to get the point to it. We had no idea if it was supposed to be funny or not, when we thought we realized it... Some of the lines made for "that's what she said" jokes. Thinking that was the point, we started laughing a heck of a lot throughout the food discussion... Until we read the comments and saw that nobody was thinking that way... And also, when they didn't follow up on our suspicions in the show. And then I felt so immature.

But hey, it did make the show a bit funnier. xD

Anyway, I'll probably keep watching, since it's just a really fun show. It's one of those feel-good shows, I guess. Watching something like this can cheer you up when you're feeling sad, because it has humor, bright colors, cutesy animation, and "That's so true!" or "I always do that!" situations. :) I actually really enjoy it.
Sep 18, 2010 2:12 PM

Oct 2009
billng said:
When watching lucky star, does anyone else get an Aria kind of vibe?

Not me. I liked Lucky star and dropped Aria.
Oct 2, 2010 9:27 AM

Apr 2009
I enjoyed it. It was a laid back slice of life, relaxing, with a few laughs here and there
Dec 9, 2010 3:47 PM
Jun 2008
EnvitChan said:
I think people like the anime because of the characters.
Think on that, any character in Lucky Star is actually a perspective of all the people in the world who can choose with who they identify, like for example, the otakus are identifying with Konata. Why? Because she expresses them: She reads Manga, watches animes and plays video games, such as them and because of that, they think she is their goddess.

JuicyBuddha said:
This is terrible. Unless you're the kind of person who buys pocky on J-list I would avoid this anime. Just turn on your tv and watch Seinfeld re-runs instead. It's not funny and it's full of obscure japanese pop culture references that you will not get without looking on wikipedia (mandom etc) (and even if you catch them they are unfunny). I already downloaded the whole thing and watched 6 episodes, shit, i really don't wanna finish this crap but by now i kinda feel obliged. At least the Lucky Channel shorts are mildly amusing.

HotCakes said:
And for those who said that it's wrong not to like something you haven't finished (or along the lines of that), I don't see the point on finishing something that stopped interesting me the moment I started watching it. I gave the show 3 more episodes of my mercy.

Also, some of us CAN be slice of life fans and still not like this show. Azumanga Daioh made me chuckle and like the characters.
And before you call me a troll, I don't think I insulted anyone with this post. I guess some people do like it because they're into that kind of humor, they like little girls, or they just relate to that stuff. I don't.

These three comments best sum up what is most frustrating about Lucky Star and a good deal of its fans.

I actually get the whole relating to the characters in the Anime, however, I couldn't relate to Konata. Sure, I play video games, read manga and watch anime, but I don't let it obsessivly control my life. I find the characters from Bakuman, Genshiken and Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu to be more relatable, not to mention more likable. And those anime deal with Otaku and are slice of life.

I don't like it when people have said, well... you don't get the jokes, so you must not be a real Anime fan. Not every Anime fan is going to have seen all of the Anime another fan has for one thing. And while something may be funny for one person, doesn't mean it is going to be funny for another. Seriously, not laughing at a joke doesn't mean you don't get it.

And I don't like the fact that some fans have said that those who don't like LS don't like Slice of Life. I almost thought that wasn't true, but I actually have quite a few Slice of Life on my list, now that I've gotten going. Bakuman, Genshiken and Nogizaka Haruka as I have said before. And there are others.

Fruit Basket, Kuuchuu Buranko, Ouran High School Host Club (Anime only), The Place Promised in Our Early Days, Yamato Nadeshiko Shinchi Henge, Bamboo Blade, Lovedol: Lovely Idol, Seitokai no Ichizon... Some might argue against these being slice of life due to fantastical, but the truth is... slice of life means this...

wikipedia said:
A slice of life story is categorized for a story that portrays a "cut=out" sequence of events in a characters life.
It doesn't mean plotless, though some are... of those which rely heavily on characterization and other story elements. If there is a magical element in the world, then the slice of life will reflect that. It basically means episodic.

Another thing that frustrates me is the people who say that the first two episodes blow, but it gets better, so it is a masterpiece. This just contradicts what was said at the begining. And I am also tiered of people ragging on people because they can't get past the first one or two episodes. Some people have tried numerous amounts of times!

But I get what the awnser is to the person who started this threads question was. It isn't that LS is a masterpiece... it is far from it. It is that it is a candy watch, much like Twilight is a candy read. There is nothing of great depth to it, like some fans tried to argue in some of the awnsers. That being said, does it REALLY warrent as high of a rating as it has gotten on MAL?
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Lucky ☆ Star Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Joseph_ - Aug 27, 2007

113 by LaviiS »»
May 12, 11:53 PM

Poll: » Lucky ☆ Star Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

chibuki - Sep 16, 2007

253 by EggWithNoPan »»
Apr 20, 1:55 AM

Poll: » Lucky ☆ Star Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Faust721 - Sep 10, 2007

85 by biuberry »»
Apr 9, 2:24 AM

Poll: » Lucky Star Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - May 22, 2007

84 by Celt1cs »»
Apr 7, 9:38 PM

Poll: » Lucky ☆ Star Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Sidestep - Aug 19, 2007

62 by biuberry »»
Apr 4, 11:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.