Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Apr 9, 2013 10:33 AM

Sep 2012
Kagurawest said:
Yes I use the word evil from my understanding. But I assume that the word evil ,even it is a highly subjective matter, that this understanding is hopefully shared among the forum user ( I do not really care what the right and wrong standard is by those space people except for entertainment issues).
But it seems that most in this forum knows better than simply applying our current standard to a character living in an entirely different age and circumstances.

Kagurawest said:
Your quote "thus create more issues than it resolves" just proves my accusation of him being an idiot right. I've called him in my first post an complete idiot because when I saw what he did was like "WTF is he doing?." I've expected more of a peacful and smart solution from a future man (like breaking the fingers of the pirate leader one by one; cruel and effective by imposing fear to them but wouldnt't be such a tragedy like killing humans who just happens to be on the pirate side)
As I said, this is NOT idiotic. To call him idiotic means you fail to understand where he comes from and why his action is totally sensible to him even though it may look jarring to you and disturbing to those in Gargantia. And your expectation about a more "peaceful and smart solution" takes the assumption that future people must always be better at handling unknown situation regardless of their upbringing and the life they lived. You talk as if he has a very good way to capture the pirates alive and then break their fingers, even though all the weapons he has is long range weapon like laser gun and a super-powerful robot. He has a surefire way to kill all the enemies without harming any of his allies (by selective vaporization) why not do it in this safe and clean way?
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Apr 9, 2013 10:36 AM
May 2012
symbv said:
Kagurawest said:
Hm, I see why taking action would lead to a desired outcome. But I think with his cthulu machine he can easily talk to the ship crew AND to the pirates(as he has done already by just sitting on the bench). And if and only if the pirates deems to be unworthy compared to the ship crew then he can kill some of them to scare them off. But total annihilation is in my eyes mirrors idiocy.
That's all he has been trained to do. And in the face of the combat they are seeing, it is sensible. So there is no idiocy there. It only looks problematic when he applies the logic in this situation which results in vast overkill. And he did it because he did not know better. As an earlier post said, this only made him ignorant but far from an idiot.

Hm maybe I'm too harsh to him. But I called him an idiot because he did idiotic things in my eyes. It's arrogant from me who lives in a rather peaceful surrounding I know, and I do know that he is highly brainwashed. But I called him nevertheless an idiot like anyone else who think that violence and death without thinking first (like: If i kill those pirates I secure the support of the ship crew; would be rather a stupid expectation from him but better than to go berserk because a kid told me to) is an answer to "solve things" regardless of his background.
Apr 9, 2013 10:37 AM

Apr 2013
symbv said:
[why his action is totally sensible to him even though it may look jarring and disturbing to those in Gargantia.

The situation is not disturbing to the people of Gargantia because He killed the Pirates, it is disturbing because He did it such a ease and in so little time.

Had Red landed on the ship for a fist fight with the Pirates and ended up killing them all with his barehand they would have seen him as being Badass, it is just because He has more power than all their weapons combined that they are scarred of him.
Apr 9, 2013 10:39 AM
Apr 2013
symbv said:
Kagurawest said:
Yes I use the word evil from my understanding. But I assume that the word evil ,even it is a highly subjective matter, that this understanding is hopefully shared among the forum user ( I do not really care what the right and wrong standard is by those space people except for entertainment issues).
But it seems that most in this forum knows better than simply applying our current standard to a character living in an entirely different age and circumstances.

Kagurawest said:
Your quote "thus create more issues than it resolves" just proves my accusation of him being an idiot right. I've called him in my first post an complete idiot because when I saw what he did was like "WTF is he doing?." I've expected more of a peacful and smart solution from a future man (like breaking the fingers of the pirate leader one by one; cruel and effective by imposing fear to them but wouldnt't be such a tragedy like killing humans who just happens to be on the pirate side)
As I said, this is NOT idiotic. To call him idiotic means you fail to understand where he comes from and why his action is totally sensible to him even though it may look jarring to you and disturbing to those in Gargantia. And your expectation about a more "peaceful and smart solution" takes the assumption that future people must always be better at handling unknown situation regardless of their upbringing and the life they lived. You talk as if he has a very good way to capture the pirates alive and then break their fingers, even though all the weapons he has is long range weapon like laser gun and a super-powerful robot. He has a surefire way to kill all the enemies without harming any of his allies (by selective vaporization) why not do it in this safe and clean way?

Also it is very likely the only thing he knows how to do is strategize for battles and kill.

-> he doesn't know how to interrogate
-> he doesn't know how to take prisoners
-> he very probably doesn't know how to value life.

He understands survival, and whatever rules of engagement his society came up with (I doubt there's very many, and they likely only apply to the safety of his side).

Noooow, if you (kagurawest) want to blame someone, blame the society he came from who are very likely engaging in breeding soldiers. He is only the product. He doesn't know or understand anything else, because that is all he has ever known.
Apr 9, 2013 10:41 AM

Sep 2012
simplewhimsy said:
To me, real depth would be acknowledging that he has serious issues, and those issues are going to result in pain. He won't be able to form healthy relationships. He's very likely quite damaged in regards to personal relationships. If they take shortcuts and everything is sunshine and rainbows in the space of a few weeks (time wise within the anime itself) by the end of this anime I will be very disappointed. To me, that's no real character depth and disappointing considering the writer.
I do not agree that real depth necessitate showing he has serious issues. What I see from Urobuchi's work is how he does not think that things will always be lopsidedly bad, so his "serious issues" is necessary in the world he comes from, but once he comes out of it, he sees that his old way is not the only way of life. That does not necessarily mean that his old way is problematic just because now in an entirely different environment he is not able to form healthy relationship. So in this case, what he needs to do is to learn and adapt. Of course this can also involve pain, but I think the story can still be told as a tale of positive development for the character in general, and still be convincing, even without big dose of PTSD etc.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Apr 9, 2013 10:48 AM
Mar 2012
guys i got this under control. let's stop this keyboard battle at once. pew pew pew

Nov 2008
Enjoyed this episode, really liking the premise of this series. Kind of annoyed though, since judging from the reactions of Bellow and Amy it's pretty clear they aren't going to get anywhere in the next episode, since Red will probably be shunned out of fear.

Apr 2013
symbv said:
simplewhimsy said:
To me, real depth would be acknowledging that he has serious issues, and those issues are going to result in pain. He won't be able to form healthy relationships. He's very likely quite damaged in regards to personal relationships. If they take shortcuts and everything is sunshine and rainbows in the space of a few weeks (time wise within the anime itself) by the end of this anime I will be very disappointed. To me, that's no real character depth and disappointing considering the writer.
I do not agree that real depth necessitate showing he has serious issues. What I see from Urobuchi's work is how he does not think that things will always be lopsidedly bad, so his "serious issues" is necessary in the world he comes from, but once he comes out of it, he sees that his old way is not the only way of life. That does not necessarily mean that his old way is problematic just because now in an entirely different environment he is not able to form healthy relationship. So in this case, what he needs to do is to learn and adapt. Of course this can also involve pain, but I think the story can still be told as a tale of positive development for the character in general, and still be convincing, even without big dose of PTSD etc.

Ehh, I'm looking at it as an american who has known several men who came back from Iraq seriously messed up. To me, war is a terrible, awful thing that does a lot more to people than give them a horrible/sympathetic past. Which is why I want to see the writing in this anime reflect that -- is it necessary to a good story? No. Science fiction and fantasy are renowned for pretending that death doesn't mean anything to the one doing the killing. Neither do you need it to have a fulfilling story. I've seen it happen enough to *want* more depth than that, more than just a hand-waving 'this person is okay because it suits the story'.

But it's why I'm hoping, because Psychopass poked into psychology just enough to give me that hope. Will it probably happen? No. But eh, opinions are opinions, and in this case mine is that to really give depth to these characters, the writing would have to reflect the effect their originating societies have had on their growing minds.

Sep 2012
Kagurawest said:
But I called him an idiot because he did idiotic things in my eyes. It's arrogant from me who lives in a rather peaceful surrounding I know, and I do know that he is highly brainwashed. But I called him nevertheless an idiot like anyone else who think that violence and death without thinking first (like: If i kill those pirates I secure the support of the ship crew; would be rather a stupid expectation from him but better than to go berserk because a kid told me to) is an answer to "solve things" regardless of his background.
Well, it is not "violence without thinking first". He did the thinking and even Chamber did the analysis, and according to the logic where they came from it is sensible action. As simplewhimsy said, he probably is not trained for any prisoner capture, interrogation but is trained to kill (so value of life of an enemy is nothing). Viewed in this way, there is nothing idiot about his action at all. It is something he reckons he can easily do with minimal fuss with potential good benefit if done successfully. Make sense to go for it.

Apr 9, 2013 10:54 AM
Mar 2012
wwwwwwwww
Apr 9, 2013 10:57 AM

Sep 2012
simplewhimsy said:
Ehh, I'm looking at it as an american who has known several men who came back from Iraq seriously messed up. To me, war is a terrible, awful thing that does a lot more to people than give them a horrible/sympathetic past. Which is why I want to see the writing in this anime reflect that -- is it necessary to a good story? No. Science fiction and fantasy are renowned for pretending that death doesn't mean anything to the one doing the killing. Neither do you need it to have a fulfilling story. I've seen it happen enough to *want* more depth than that, more than just a hand-waving 'this person is okay because it suits the story'.
I guess personal background will always play a role in what story you want to see and how it is to be told. Personally I would rather let movies like Hurt Locker to deal with the trauma of war. What I sense in this anime is that the theme may be more about a total outsider popping up in a different world where all he learned and knew do not really come in useful or considered necessarily helpful here. And so he has to learn all the basic skills from the beginning, and it starts from learning to care and learning to think outside a soldier mentality. And telling this story well can still add real depth to the character. Of course I also expect he will have to deal with some of his inner demon but perhaps it may manifest more as his being torn between concerns of his war buddies still fighting the terrifying war against aliens and living a peaceful life building relationship of friendship and love on Earth.
symbvApr 9, 2013 11:00 AM

Apr 9, 2013 10:58 AM
May 2012
simplewhimsy said:
symbv said:
Kagurawest said:

Kagurawest said:

Also it is very likely the only thing he knows how to do is strategize for battles and kill.

-> he doesn't know how to interrogate
-> he doesn't know how to take prisoners
-> he very probably doesn't know how to value life.

He understands survival, and whatever rules of engagement his society came up with (I doubt there's very many, and they likely only apply to the safety of his side).

Noooow, if you (kagurawest) want to blame someone, blame the society he came from who are very likely engaging in breeding soldiers. He is only the product. He doesn't know or understand anything else, because that is all he has ever known.

In my view society is just a bunch of people governing themselves by forming institutions. Fact is every single person has self consiousness. Red is a soldier trained for killing only. I do not blame his brutal actions nor where he is coming from. Everything has its cause and effect. But I acknoledge him as a sentient being capable of thought and understanding even he couldn't reach that level because of his past. I do not see him as an artificial being like that robot who do as he is programmed. But Red in fact has that ability and has potential to do other things than what he is trained to do. Compared to this possibility this massacre is stupid=idiotic. It is stupid because stupidity is relative to him and to us viewers and me. Calling this act not as idiotic would render the definition "idiot" useless and therefore meaningless. Therefore I have to use a standard to use such a word and that standard is set by his potential and what I have learned in Real life.
Apr 9, 2013 11:00 AM
Mar 2012
whoa whoa guys. if you have time to write all these watch yuru yuri once more. watch it 3 times. akari is the only true path to salvation.
Apr 9, 2013 11:01 AM

Apr 2013
simplewhimsy said:

Americans have this view of war because of all the negative views from the Media about Iraq and A-stan, other societies have other views of War and Soldiers has an honorable sacrifice and a Warrior.

Places like Israel, India, and Pakistan have more of this Warrior mentality, not because they ignore death but because they put the lives of their own people at a higher value than that of their enemies. It is not just an Anime or Sci-fi thing.
Apr 9, 2013 11:01 AM

Sep 2012
kihira said:
whoa whoa guys. if you have time to write all these watch yuru yuri once more. watch it 3 times. akari is the only true path to salvation.
Don't tell me, I have BOTH seasons of Yuru Yuri in BDs and watch them quite a few times, but I will still keep typing here as long as the discussion lasts ;-)

Apr 9, 2013 11:04 AM
Oct 2010
Now, this is shaping pretty nicely imo, great episode.

LOL at the morality discussion going on here. Amy requested his help against her enemies and he treated as he would his, he doesn't know the details of their conflict.

But even without that, the pirates had already killed some of the Gargantia guys, it's not stupid to take it as a kill or be killed situation.
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Apr 9, 2013 11:05 AM
May 2012
kihira said:

Lol sorry for misunderstanding but I'm not arguing with forum users since it is red I accuse of being stupid. But I have to admit that I have to defend my accusation or I fear to read a comment that "massacring pirates is so cooool ;) or stuff like that. Well, what I want is to put on the forum some mature thoughts about this episode by deliberately pushing an discussion
Apr 9, 2013 11:08 AM

Sep 2012
Kagurawest said:
But I acknoledge him as a sentient being capable of thought and understanding even he couldn't reach that level because of his past. I do not see him as an artificial being like that robot who do as he is programmed. But Red in fact has that ability and has potential to do other things than what he is trained to do. Compared to this possibility this massacre is stupid=idiotic. It is stupid because stupidity is relative to him and to us viewers and me. Calling this act not as idiotic would render the definition "idiot" useless and therefore meaningless. Therefore I have to use a standard to use such a word and that standard is set by his potential and what I have learned in Real life.
Well, after all the many to-and-fro's at least you get down to define your original choice of word "idiotic" in a much better way than in your first post, which sounded like a dismissive quick rant by an impatient watcher. I don't think anybody in this forum thinks that he does not have potential to develop a better way of thinking and once he achieves that he will look back to this incident and realizes there is a better way to handle it. Still, by using only the word "idiotic" to describe this whole action is ignoring the unique situation he was in. In a way, instead of calling it "idiotic" I would rather say it is a tragedy given everyone is doing what he/she thinks is the right thing to do according to the logic he/she holds.
symbvApr 9, 2013 11:27 AM

Apr 9, 2013 11:13 AM
Apr 2013
symbv said:
simplewhimsy said:
I guess personal background will always play a role in what story you want to see and how it is to be told. Personally I would rather let movies like Hurt Locker to deal with the trauma of war. What I sense in this anime is that the theme may be more about a total outsider popping up in a different world where all he learned and knew do not really come in useful or considered necessarily helpful here. And so he has to learn all the basic skills from the beginning, and it starts from learning to care and learning to think outside a soldier mentality. And telling this story well can still add real depth to the character. Of course I also expect he will have to deal with some of his inner demon but perhaps it may manifest more as his being torn between concerns of his war buddies still fighting the terrifying war against aliens and living a peaceful life building relationship of friendship and love on Earth.

Yeah, I agree that that seems to be the direction it's going in. I also agree that it can still add depth, but I guess my thought is I want to see realism. Certainly anime isn't usually the venue for that, but. . .I still want to see it. I want more of a struggle than what I think they're going to give.

And like I said, doesn't mean the story will be bad. My objection is that I feel they're cutting out depth by making him this child soldier and then (if it goes in that direction) letting him be all better in a manner of weeks. Why have him in the army for his entire life? Why not just 5 or 6 years and reintroduce him back into society rather than his whole life?

(of course, watch, there's going to be some kind of sci fi techno-magic that will have prevented their soldiers from having psychological trauma, instead just giving them childishly simplistic minds in regards to societal integration. . .because SCIENCE!)
Apr 9, 2013 11:20 AM
Apr 2013
meneliksempai said:
simplewhimsy said:

Americans have this view of war because of all the negative views from the Media about Iraq and A-stan, other societies have other views of War and Soldiers has an honorable sacrifice and a Warrior.

Places like Israel, India, and Pakistan have more of this Warrior mentality, not because they ignore death but because they put the lives of their own people at a higher value than that of their enemies. It is not just an Anime or Sci-fi thing.

The USA does the same thing, look at how much media attention has been put towards dehumanizing "terrorists".

My point is though that killing other people does have an affect. I'm not saying it automatically makes people monsters (otherwise humanity's history would have ended up differently), but -- you know, Spartans and Athenians. That sort of thing. Argh. I don't want to devolve this into a real world thing (did I already? I am sorry :( ), so all I'll say is that I prefer Kameron Hurley's take on war and death and how that affects culture/society built around it over the thought that it has no affect on the human mind.
Apr 9, 2013 11:22 AM

Sep 2012
simplewhimsy said:
Yeah, I agree that that seems to be the direction it's going in. I also agree that it can still add depth, but I guess my thought is I want to see realism. Certainly anime isn't usually the venue for that, but. . .I still want to see it. I want more of a struggle than what I think they're going to give.
I guess it is all a matter of what you seek in an anime, or just any fictional account about war. For you perhaps the trauma and the struggle and pain facing death and killing is the most defining thing about war and so insufficiency in this element automatically means the story fails the realism test. But I would like to think that a story is told to highlight certain themes and this can mean some elements may be less focused, particularly given the limitation of the 1-cour length. At the end I don't mind seeing some "depth" being cut from the pain of fighting in war if there is good "depth" portrayed in how he grows and learns about his potential as a normal human being. I would be more disappointed if it tries to deal with too many themes and ends up not telling any single one of them well because of the short length.

simplewhimsy said:
My objection is that I feel they're cutting out depth by making him this child soldier and then (if it goes in that direction) letting him be all better in a manner of weeks. Why have him in the army for his entire life? Why not just 5 or 6 years and reintroduce him back into society rather than his whole life?
In fact I suspect the talk about "child soldier" is meaningless because I think Ledo may be born as fully grown. We know in anime the protagonist is usually teenager, and when it is revealed that he has been a soldier for 16 years it may actually mean that he is 16 years old when the anime started (well, adding to the half year he was sleeping beneath the ocean he may well be 17, the magic age of most protagonist in manga/anime, by this episode).
symbvApr 9, 2013 11:25 AM

Apr 9, 2013 11:23 AM
Oct 2010
simplewhimsy said:
(of course, watch, there's going to be some kind of sci fi techno-magic that will have prevented their soldiers from having psychological trauma, instead just giving them childishly simplistic minds in regards to societal integration. . .because SCIENCE!)
I say just wait till it happens and complain then, what's the point of this preemptive negativity?
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Apr 9, 2013 11:24 AM

Apr 2013
simplewhimsy said:
meneliksempai said:
simplewhimsy said:

The USA does the same thing, look at how much media attention has been put towards dehumanizing "terrorists".

My point is though that killing other people does have an affect. I'm not saying it automatically makes people monsters (otherwise humanity's history would have ended up differently), but -- you know, Spartans and Athenians. That sort of thing. Argh. I don't want to devolve this into a real world thing (did I already? I am sorry :( ), so all I'll say is that I prefer Kameron Hurley's take on war and death and how that affects culture/society built around it over the thought that it has no affect on the human mind.

I am not trying to make this about a real world thin, I am just saying that you very sensitive view of death and war is a fruit of your American Culture, in other countries Red actions are totally within their Soldier Ethos.

The effects of killing are so exaggerated in the US because of the political football surrounding the Iraq war, were they when there was no dead soldier people needed PTSD affect veterans to use as media prop.
Apr 9, 2013 11:26 AM

Jan 2013
Kagurawest said:
kihira said:

Lol sorry for misunderstanding but I'm not arguing with forum users since it is red I accuse of being stupid. But I have to admit that I have to defend my accusation or I fear to read a comment that "massacring pirates is so cooool ;) or stuff like that. Well, what I want is to put on the forum some mature thoughts about this episode by deliberately pushing an discussion

I think there are a lot of people out there who enjoy the action (killing, shoot-em-up etc..) and don't question the why. Although I don't agree with your opinion of Red's behavior I do appreciate the discussion.
"What color do you want to be?" -Shiina Mashiro
Apr 9, 2013 11:28 AM

Apr 2013
symbv said:
My objection is that I feel they're cutting out depth by making him this child soldier and then (if it goes in that direction) letting him be all better in a manner of weeks. Why have him in the army for his entire life? Why not just 5 or 6 years and reintroduce him back into society rather than his whole life?
In fact I suspect the talk about "child soldier" is meaningless because I think Ledo may be born as fully grown. We know in anime the protagonist is usually teenager, and when it is revealed that he has been a soldier for 16 years it may actually mean that he is 16 years old when the anime started (well, adding to the half year he was sleeping beneath the ocean he may well be 17, the magic age of most protagonist in manga/anime, by this episode).

Considering the technology of Avalon and their concept of Citizen ship as being able to feed, sleep and have kids freely, we can assume that Red was born a fully grown 16 years old, and that besides times where He needs to use his mecha is body is almost constantly in suspended animation to reduce consumption of resources in space. Plus to standardize the Mecha maybe the soldiers are given growth retardants so He will keep the form factor of a 16 year old to fit in his Mecha.
Apr 9, 2013 11:35 AM
Apr 2013
@symbv

. . .that's a really good point. I would enjoy that very much. :3

Also a very good point about focusing on one thing to make those 12 episodes shine, rather than too much and ending up with too little. That would certainly be the worst thing that could happen, trying to do too much. In any case I don't doubt I'll enjoy it, because I already am enjoying it.

@meneliksempai

I don't suppose there's a pm feature on this site? I'd love to really discuss that with you, but I think err, this might not be the best spot to do so. (so much I want to say but this *is* episode discussion D: )

@ajunky

It's my hopes and fears! Pre-empting disappointment. An inability to let things be? A habit to speculate? Stuff like that. ;)
Apr 9, 2013 11:36 AM

Jan 2013
simplewhimsy said:
meneliksempai said:
simplewhimsy said:

I am going to say one thing, because I think this thread which was about Red and now has turned into a cultural view on war is taking things to the extreme. It matters not where you are from (and yes I am from the US) killing is killing. I would say that war is the one thing that may be universal. There is pain and loss on both sides. I think we will learn more about Red's decisions the next episode.
"What color do you want to be?" -Shiina Mashiro
Apr 9, 2013 11:38 AM
Feb 2013
alduren said:
Any feedback on the v1.5 subs?

About the green text on Chamber, good or bad?
Font size good, etc?

Like you guys know by now it's my first time trying to sub, I would appreciate feedback for next time I sub something (also, tell me if you know a show /episode that need's subs atm).

Well, to answer your request, I tried out the new translation as well. Most of the obvious spelling-mistakes have been fixed, but there are still some slight ones left. Not saying this to unduly criticise, since I think it's a great translation...but since you asked for input, I'm doing my best to dig out even the minute mistakes.

For instance, you typed "That where the Earth was still frozen people escaped to the stars world." First of all: did they really say it that way? Maybe it's being translated a bit to literally/according to the dictionary, in this instance. "stars world" doesn't make much sense. You can go to the stars, or to other worlds, but stars world...seems rather like overkill, or an attempt at poetry (which isn't really the context, here). Also, the "where" doesn't make much sense neither, and here it's rather a grammatical mistake, I think. "That when the Earth was still frozen" is more correct. "Where" is indicative of place. One could also say 'if the Earth were frozen"' as a condition, but that isn't meant here, since the continuation of the sentence doesn't point to it..

Also, at some point, Amy is saying: "but that's fairy tales". It should be: "that are fairy tales', or, alternatively, "that's a fairy tale".

Also, the captain saying "contact with desperate and cornered...." What? There either has to follow something which is desperate or cornered, or you use it as a subject, and then you should say "with THE desperate and cornered".

Those are the ones I still remember, but there were a few others I vaguely had the impression it wasn't quite right.

But, as said, those are minor things, the translation as a whole was pretty good. It still would be a good thing to let it proof-read by someone else, though, for the mere fact that two (pair of) eyes see more than one (pair). That's because, sometimes, one *knows* what is meant, and one simply does not read what is written, but what one is thinking/knowing what it should be. Happens to me and everyone.

As for the green colour... dunno, depend on ones' taste, I guess. I didn't mind too much, especially because it focused on 'machine talk' versus 'human talk', so it kind of fitted. I did notice you used yellow for some other crewmember too, however. Personally, I would be careful with making it a multi-colour. It distracts and the relevance gets less the more different kinds you use. Also, I think you changed the letter-types (at least how big they are) at some points? I wouldn't do that neither; it's better to keep it all the same, unless one wants to point out something, like whispering, or something. For the rest, I wouldn't be too creative: keep it clear and simple, not too much fancy stuff, and the classic way is best: standard letters of the same size, with only slight variations (like using italic when one is thinking, for instance). Even the green was out-of standard, but there I guess it made sense, and I personally didn't mind.

Also, some of the longer sentences should have kept a wee bit longer on the screen, me thinks. There were some that I could hardly read in time. And granted, I'm not native English myself, but my English is pretty good nevertheless, so I think I'm not the only one having trouble reading some of the sentences before they disappeared.

On a positive note: the vast majority of your sentences were quite readable, your translation was, as a whole, excellent, and I particularly liked the font/letters themselves: clear white with a dark/black rim. They made for a very good read, clearly contrasting with the background of the anime.

Well, I had to force myself to find some points of critique, but really, I think you've done a wonderful job. Just giving my input to make it even better, as you've asked.

As for other series...well, most of those I like are already being translated, but if I encounter one that I like but ain't, I'll let you know. For the moment, I suggest you have a look at those that you personally like and don't (or only slowly) get a translation.

If you want, I can offer you my help in proofreading it, even.

friendly regards,

animagneby
AnimageNebyApr 9, 2013 12:21 PM
Apr 9, 2013 11:45 AM
Sep 2009
Ajunky said:

LOL at the morality discussion going on here. Amy requested his help against her enemies and he treated as he would his, he doesn't know the details of their conflict.

this. lol.
Apr 9, 2013 12:00 PM

Sep 2012
simplewhimsy said:
@symbv
Also a very good point about focusing on one thing to make those 12 episodes shine, rather than too much and ending up with too little. That would certainly be the worst thing that could happen, trying to do too much. In any case I don't doubt I'll enjoy it, because I already am enjoying it.
Great to hear that. It has been great talking to you :-)

simplewhimsy said:
@meneliksempai
I don't suppose there's a pm feature on this site? I'd love to really discuss that with you, but I think err, this might not be the best spot to do so. (so much I want to say but this *is* episode discussion D: )
Actually there is a PM function. Go to "Profiles" and from the pull-down menu select "Messages" and it will bring you to the PM page.

Apr 9, 2013 12:06 PM

Apr 2013
can we stick to the actual content and not begin a war thread - argumentation that usually take place on youtube videos, thanks.. next we'll have people arguing about religions in SnK -waitforit-
Apr 9, 2013 12:09 PM
Apr 2013
symbv said:
simplewhimsy said:
@symbv
Great to hear that. It has been great talking to you :-)

simplewhimsy said:
@meneliksempai
Actually there is a PM function. Go to "Profiles" and from the pull-down menu select "Messages" and it will bring you to the PM page.

It's been lovely talking to you too! ahhh, mene pmed me, but apparently I have to be a member for three days before I can respond. So a hold on that conversation (the one issue with being a lurker, I suppose, and trying not to make an account ahahah ><)!

also, because I forgot -- huge thanks to the gentleman who was kind enough to do subs. It's phenomenal that you're neither a native english or japanese speaker and was still willing to make it happen! There were some sentence structure and grammar things (a few sentences I had to reread a couple times to understand, but considering you were trying to get them out asap I wasn't bothered by it), but I thought it was very well done for someone who had only done it once, and I am hugely appreciative!

@official guts

Yup! Way ahead of you. I also apologized for taking the thread off track; sadly it took me two posts to realize 'oh jeez, I just. . .>< ' but it wasn't my desire to do so, and once I realized what I was doing I stopped. Just my enjoyment of the conversation going a wee bit too far. ;)

Good episode though, eh? :)
Apr 9, 2013 12:14 PM

Mar 2013
YES! I found episode 2 better than the first episode. Loved the communication between amy and red, and the expression on those peoples faces after red annihilated the pirates. Priceless.
Apr 9, 2013 12:14 PM

Jun 2012
Hopefully it dosnt get darker because its pretty good like it is though maybe a little more conflict wouldn't hurt. Good episode, I wonder how they will react when he returns. Will they thank him or fear him even more.
If strength is justice, then is powerlessness a crime?

Apr 9, 2013 12:26 PM
Apr 2013
AbovePsycho said:
YES! I found episode 2 better than the first episode. Loved the communication between amy and red, and the expression on those peoples faces after red annihilated the pirates. Priceless.

Yeah, especially Bellows "What? What? What?" You could see it on her face as each of the men next to her disappeared.

I also really enjoyed Chamber -- lot more personality there then I was expecting! I expect much comedy between him and Amy in future episodes. :3
Apr 9, 2013 12:29 PM

Apr 2013
@official guts

Yup! Way ahead of you. I also apologized for taking the thread off track; sadly it took me two posts to realize 'oh jeez, I just. . .>< ' but it wasn't my desire to do so, and once I realized what I was doing I stopped. Just my enjoyment of the conversation going a wee bit too far. ;)

Good episode though, eh? :)

no worries ahah, yeah ep was good.
Apr 9, 2013 12:52 PM

Nov 2012
I only hope this is not a Healing Type anime.
I came here to get Gen Urobuchi's writing afterall.
Apr 9, 2013 1:02 PM
Feb 2013
symbv said:
Kagurawest said:
Well I do understand that having a ultimate weapon can help him to get what he wants. So he is doing the right thing for himself. But he is not doing the right thing for his country or as a soldier nor for humanity itself. So I concluse that his act is ignorant and selfish.
This is quite an absurd claim to make. Why he is not doing the right thing for his country or as a soldier or for humanity? It seems that you are using the standard of the present world and its circumstances to judge how Ledo should act as a soldier. And I am not even sure where the "humanity" part comes from. As for country, well, all he knows is everything is under the Federation except for a few space nomads, and then there is the enemy. At least he is trying to adapt to the situation where what he sees does not fit into that long-held understanding he has held.

This.

It's pretty clear, I thought. He comes from a military background, been probably in the army since his birth, and his society is one of...well...how should I put it? In the first episode, I rather got the feeling they were a bit...arrogant? With the "all hail to the glorious human (well, Alliance) race" and needing to wipe out the flower-squid race for the glorious goal of human supremacy and all that... I dunno. Sure, it might be that it's truly and only a matter of survival, but I got the feeling Reds' culture/civilisation is pretty much a militaristic-imperialistic one. They clearly value life on different terms than us, and are more like a class-society. (Otherwise, they wouldn't have focussed on the 'eligible to live/procreate' because he was worthy and shown to be a superior example of the human species.)

We got not enough info about his society to be sure, but I don't think it's all that utopian, at least not in the sense of 'equal for all'. And they are very strict and relaying on 'rules'. As someone else here pointed out; the first thing he said when his commanding officer explained he was going to sacrifice himself to help the others (and Red) escape, was: "That's against the rules". That is pretty poignant and a clear indication of how that society is regulated: very hierarchical. No "Thank you!" or "Don't do it!" or whatever, just that it goes against regulations. Hardly anyone in our society would have such a reaction. Also hinted throughout the episodes, is that their culture/society is very pragmatical on a rational basis; emotions are subdued. We see that in his lack of fear, his strange look at the antics of Amy when she was dancing of excitement (great scene, that ;-)), the analytical prowess that he and his AI portrays in the context of give-and-take and balancing the pro's and con's, etc.

In regard to the killing: as some have said; this is fully normal for him. It makes perfect sense and is quite logical, seen from his viewpoint. His perception of the world is more like this:

1) "we", his group, the Alliance
2) Other humans outside the Alliance
3) enemies

It's a very 'we versus them' worldview, but that is to be expected, as, in more than one regard, it IS a we versus them, to survive. And an army always tries to portray everything in black and white anyway (them being white, and the opponents black).

The first is obviously ranked the highest; it's his whole life, after all. He's a soldier, in an army, and that army are his friends/college 's, nakama and fellow-soldiers and the Avalon society as a whole. It's the primary 'we' he identifies with.

The second...one could say it doesn't matter to him, but this is not entirely true. We can see this, for instance, with his consideration of not damaging the bulkhead, because he thought it could be the void / empty space outside, and the people inside would all suffocate. So he had *some* concern for them, even though he already suspected they were not of the Alliance, but wandering low-tech nomads.

This concern points to the fact that, while not as important as members of the Alliance, there is still put *some* worth to other members of the human race.

Of course, this importance is not all that huge, and it's not something that will be allowed to come in his way (at least, at this point) towards his goal. Which is why he has little trouble killing off the pirates. Obviously he knew they were human, but they weren't Alliance. In fact, they were indicated as *the enemy*, EVEN by the non-Alliance people around him requesting his help, and with whom he desired a working-relation so he had a fall-back plan if he had to wait for the Alliance to pick him up. It was a pragmatic and rational decision, thus, for his own benefit.

Now, to get to this goal, he had to get rid of the enemy: those pirates. Once they were designated and catalogued as the enemy, he knew/had only one way to deal with them, and that was how he has learned to deal with enemies his whole life: as completely, thoroughly and ruthlessly as possible.

In fact, while the crew is shocked by the immensity of what he has done (and how he did it, with such casual ease), and probably treat him with fear or/and disgust, *he* probably now thinks he has done a good job, efficiently and it being a complete success. In his mindview (and that of the society to which he belongs), defeating the enemy in that way would earn him appraisal. It will be interesting to see how this pans out in the next episode, since obviously, the worldviews of both societies collide drastically on this point. For him, it's a job well done, for the crew it's complete overkill. The crew - if they had the power - would probably have threatened, maybe sunk a few ships as a warning, and compelled the pirates into surrender or retreat. They more or less have the mindset of us, today, in r/l. Red, however, has no such mental framework. These thoughts are alien to him, in fact, since he has always learned and experienced that one must utterly destroy the enemy. That's why he doesn't blink an eye, when he says 'annihilate' and then completely wipes out the pirates.
AnimageNebyApr 10, 2013 1:08 PM
Apr 9, 2013 1:39 PM

Jun 2012
I was getting serious ET vibes in the first half when Ledo/Chamber was talking with Amy. The discourse between the 3 of them was pretty interesting learning about the world such as the Galaxy path and the struggle with bandits they face on a daily basis. Definitely liking Amy and Ledo as characters; Ledo is playing it smart but still open to relations between curious/friendly Amy and the Gargantia. After what Ledo did to the pirates, you just know the higher ups of the Gargantia are gonna be too paranoid to trust him. Humans have always been fearful of the unknown after all

My favorite aspect of the series so far though is just seeing the gap in technologies between Chamber and Earth/Gargantia. Chamber's laser was scary powerful with the ability to pinpoint disintegrate enemies and then you have the Gargantia is more grounded but still futuristic

Definitely rewatching this on CR when that comes out Sunday because the subs and quality on the vid I could find were of questionable quality haha
HybridMBLApr 9, 2013 3:37 PM
Apr 9, 2013 1:41 PM

Jul 2011
I'm in love with this show.
Apr 9, 2013 1:46 PM

Mar 2013
pirate_fucker_420
Apr 9, 2013 1:52 PM

Oct 2012
This series has some beautiful animation. Also the story is quite interesting and I'm interested in seeing how red's character develops throughout the series. I have a feeling it's going to get darker but I just hope it stays as a light-hearted series.

Well, looking forward to episode 3.
Apr 9, 2013 1:56 PM

Oct 2011
Why are they like that at the end?
Anyway, this Earth doesn't even have the tech. we have now. A cool episode.
Can't find any 720p version, :(
Signature
Apr 9, 2013 1:59 PM

Nov 2011
What we have seen in the first episode was just the appetizer for what was waiting for us in the second episode, graphically it was great as the first, the story has yet to evolve, I hope it is intriguing, it would be a shame to waste a lot of quality with a plot miserable!
Apr 9, 2013 2:00 PM

Jan 2012
xfire011 said:

You can find the 720p on TokyoTosho but it's just a raw you will have to grab the .ass too unless you can understand Japanese.
Apr 9, 2013 2:02 PM

Aug 2011
Wow I'm pretty astonished. This is growing on me a lot. I really like it. Well I usually love the stuff Production I.G. is involved in but this season is too much for me.

I also really like Red as a character, and Amy. Thank God she's not one of those really annoying characters. I'm going to enjoy seeing where Red and Gargantia's differences in beliefs will get them.

Also, the mayor/chief/leader of Gargantia seems to know a lot. The way he said 'from earth and space'... then again, it may just be me overthinking it.

Jul 2011
xfire011 said:

The official episode will air on the next Sunday only.

Sep 2010
AnimageNeby said:
symbv said:
Kagurawest said:
Well I do understand that having a ultimate weapon can help him to get what he wants. So he is doing the right thing for himself. But he is not doing the right thing for his country or as a soldier nor for humanity itself. So I concluse that his act is ignorant and selfish.
This is quite an absurd claim to make. Why he is not doing the right thing for his country or as a soldier or for humanity? It seems that you are using the standard of the present world and its circumstances to judge how Ledo should act as a soldier. And I am not even sure where the "humanity" part comes from. As for country, well, all he knows is everything is under the Federation except for a few space nomads, and then there is the enemy. At least he is trying to adapt to the situation where what he sees does not fit into that long-held understanding he has held.

This.

It's pretty clear, I thought. He comes from a military background, been probably in the army since his birth, and his society is one of...well...how should I put it? In the first episode, I rather got the feeling they were a bit...arrogant? With the "all hail to the glorious human (well, Alliance) race" and needing to wipe out the flower-squid race for the glorious goal of human supremacy and all that... I dunno. Sure, it might be that it's truly and only a matter of survival, but I got the feeling Red's culture/civilisation is pretty much a militaristic- imperialistic one too. They clearly value life on different terms than us, and more like a class-society. (Otherwise, they wouldn't have focussed on the 'eligible to live/procreate' because he was worthy and shown to be a superior example of the human species.)

We got too few info about his society to be sure, but I don't think it's all that utopian, at least not in the sense of 'equal for all'. And they are very strict and relaying on 'rules'. As someone else here said; the first thing he said when his commanding officer said he was going to sacrifice himself to help the others (and Red) escape, was: "That's against the rules'. That is very poignant and a clear indication of how that society is regulated: very hierarchical. No 'thank you" or "Don't do it" or whatever, just that it goes against regulations. Hardly anyone in our society would have such a reaction. Also hinted throughout the episodes, is that their culture/society is very pragmatical on a rational basis; emotions are subdued. We see that in his lack of fear, his strange look at the antics of Amy when she was dancing of excitement (great scene, that ;-)), his analytical prowess in the context of give-and take and balancing the pro's and con's that he and his AI portrays, etc.

In regard to the killing: as some have said; this is fully normal for him. It makes perfect sense and is quite logical, seen from his viewpoint. His perception of the world is more like this:

1) "we", his group, the Alliance
2) Other humans outside the Alliance
3) enemies

It's a very 'we versus them' worldview, but that is to be expected, as, in more than one regard, it IS a we versus them, to survive. And an army always tries to portray everything in black and white anyway (them being white, and the opponents black).

The first is obviously ranked the highest; it's his life, after all. He's a soldier, in an army, and that army are his friends/college's, nakama and fellow-soldiers and the Avalon society as a whole.

The second...one could say it doesn't matter to him, but this is not entirely true. We can see that, for instance, with his consideration of not damaging the bulkhead, because he thought it could be the void / empty space outside, and the people inside would all suffocate. So he had *some* concern for them, even though he already suspected they were not of the Alliance, but nomads.

This concern points to the fact that, while not as important as members of the Alliance, there is still put *some* worth to other members of the human race.

Of course, this importance is not that great, and it's not something that will be allowed to come in his way (at least, at this point) towards his goal. which is why he has little trouble killing of the pirates. Obviously he knew they were human, but they weren't Alliance. In fact, they were indicated as *the enemy*, EVEN by the non-Alliance people around him, with whom he desired a working-relation so he had a fall-back plan if he had to wait for the Alliance to pick him up. It was a pragmatic and rational decision, thus, for his own benefit.

Now, to get there, he had to get rid of the enemy: those pirates. Once they were designated and catalogued as the enemy, he knew/had only one way to deal with them, and that was how he has learned to deal with enemies his whole life: as completely, thoroughly and ruthlessly as possible.

In fact, while the crew is shocked by the immensity of what he has done (and how he did it, with such casual ease), and probably treat him with fear or/and disgust, *he* probably now thinks he has done a good job, efficiently and it being a complete success. In his mindview (and that of the society to which he belongs), defeating the enemy in that way would earn him appraisal. It will be interesting to see how this pans out in the next episode, since obviously, the worldviews of both societies collide drastically on this point. For him, it's a job well done, for the crew it's complete overkill. The crew - if they had the power - would probably have threatened, maybe sunk a few ships as a warning, and compelled the pirates into surrender or retreat. They more or less have the mindset of us, today, in r/l. Red, however, has no such mental framework. These thoughts are alien to him, in fact, since he has always learned and experienced that one must utterly destroy the enemy. That's why he doesn't blink an eye, when he says 'annihilate' and then completely wipes out the pirates.

Couldn't have said better myself. The story is very interesting and draws my attention due to them being both humans but centuries apart in technology and mindset. Can't wait for the rest of the story.
Apr 9, 2013 2:57 PM

Oct 2010
I'm really liking this show so far. One of the best animes this seasons. I love how he just killed him off. Now they will look at him like a monster and be scared.
Apr 9, 2013 3:05 PM
Sep 2012
I always laugh like crazy when they speak non-japanese language xD
Great episode.
Pages (12) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - Jun 30, 2013

499 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:50 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bastek66 - Jun 23, 2013

340 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:45 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 16, 2013

261 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:35 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2013

344 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:24 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 2, 2013

667 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.