Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Apr 30, 2013 12:10 PM

Aug 2012
Bad wrap up with Kotoura and her mom

Pretty enjoyable over all
May 12, 2013 5:38 PM

Dec 2012
9/10
Jun 1, 2013 6:39 PM

Feb 2011
Enjoyed it and had a couple of laughs here and there. It started off really strong but later it just started to become really goofy and when it tried to become a bit serious again it just felt off. Ending was nice but felt rushed. 6/10

Jun 8, 2013 7:56 PM

Oct 2008
Classic example of a brilliant first episode, followed by a terrible follow-up plot arc and an abysmal ending.

The only two anime that come to mind that started and ended strong are Madoka Magica and Steins Gate.
Nothing will beat the anime that came out 2011. Nothing.
There's at least 4 anime that year that aired that would have take anime of year any other year easily.
Jun 17, 2013 10:14 PM

Jun 2012
The drama in this series was terrible and pretty lame. They should have focused on the romance more.

7/10
Jun 18, 2013 5:41 AM
Dec 2011
Omniknight said:
Classic example of a brilliant first episode, followed by a terrible follow-up plot arc and an abysmal ending.

The only two anime that come to mind that started and ended strong are Madoka Magica and Steins Gate.
Nothing will beat the anime that came out 2011. Nothing.
There's at least 4 anime that year that aired that would have take anime of year any other year easily.

well i liked the 2011 lineup, but i think 2010 has the best lineup where a lot and ended great (angel beats, kaichou wa maid-sama, TWGOK)

hmmm at first i was about to give it 10/10 because it has a very good start. i love the developing romance on the first 2-3 episodes but like the other guys said it has a weak mids, i was about to give it a 6/10 but i just loved the ending between kotoura and manabe where they really ended up together which is VERY rare on romance anime these days besides shoujo animes (unlike few years ago). so yeah, just beacause the ending, i gave this an 8/10
Jul 10, 2013 8:54 AM

Apr 2011
Stark700 said:
UnbornMVs said:
5/10 ? ARE YOU FOR REAL ?!? FFS .

Yes for real. By now, you should know that people have different opinions on different shows. This episode was mediocre imo and so was this series. Deal with it L

As for the show, I thought the first episode was good but some of the later ones kinda fell apart. I am saying this because the way the show tries to mix in comedy with emotions and several times, I feel like it didn't work out right.

There is almost literally no character development from what I've watched and the penultimate episode's revelation was one of the weakest I've ever seen.

Also, I felt that some of the romance of this show lacked flavor and additionally, the emotions that the first episode had didn't get me through. The suspense is also weak and predictable. By now, you should probably understand that people have different opinions on the show. Kotoura-san is one show that I felt that didn't click through. It had its goods and downs but I felt the ultimatum of this series landed a mediocre for me.

I am glad that some people enjoyed this series. However for me? I thought it was meh. Now I'm curious on why you scored this a 9/10, care to explain to me? I'm waiting.

Some nobody on the web criticizing a pretty good anime acting as if he's some professional critic. Clearly someones contradicting them selves posting first / at all on a anime series discussion, then writing on his profile that he doesn't care what people think, good logic sir.
Obviously you do otherwise you wouldn't post your opinion. iaintevenmad. I never knew people who watch anime 24/7 had such high standards. Made me laugh. 10/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 12, 2013 5:29 PM

Jul 2012
sn0w said:
Stark700 said:
UnbornMVs said:
5/10 ? ARE YOU FOR REAL ?!? FFS .

Yes for real. By now, you should know that people have different opinions on different shows. This episode was mediocre imo and so was this series. Deal with it L

As for the show, I thought the first episode was good but some of the later ones kinda fell apart. I am saying this because the way the show tries to mix in comedy with emotions and several times, I feel like it didn't work out right.

There is almost literally no character development from what I've watched and the penultimate episode's revelation was one of the weakest I've ever seen.

Also, I felt that some of the romance of this show lacked flavor and additionally, the emotions that the first episode had didn't get me through. The suspense is also weak and predictable. By now, you should probably understand that people have different opinions on the show. Kotoura-san is one show that I felt that didn't click through. It had its goods and downs but I felt the ultimatum of this series landed a mediocre for me.

I am glad that some people enjoyed this series. However for me? I thought it was meh. Now I'm curious on why you scored this a 9/10, care to explain to me? I'm waiting.

Some nobody on the web criticizing a pretty good anime acting as if he's some professional critic. Clearly someones contradicting them selves posting first / at all on a anime series discussion, then writing on his profile that he doesn't care what people think, good logic sir.
Obviously you do otherwise you wouldn't post your opinion. iaintevenmad. I never knew people who watch anime 24/7 had such high standards. Made me laugh. 10/10

Some nobody on a thread is pretty good at fanboying about anime as if he's some true fan. Wow, aren't you cool.
Sep 2, 2013 2:37 AM

Nov 2009
Ah this show is emotionally manipulative, it can give you tears reminding you of anohana, but but but...in a shallower purpose that makes its drama obviously forced JUST to primarily manipulate your critical/emotional opinion indeed(exactly like anohana, but in lower production value)~

It felt too rushed: the romance elements and detective arc is poorly done, humor is quite bland and repetitious, weak/unconvincing ecchi content, some illogical eccentricities...too many mediocre remarks -__-

What I have loved was the potential of the show's plot as the MC's talent, unfortunately it never made it stick :( Watch this if you are just REALLY that bored 5/10

Nov 24, 2013 9:49 PM

Jan 2011
Pretty good show overall, very emotional and some heartwarming scenes throughout the series.

I feel the animations did an especially great job of conveying these parts especially as well as the parts where it was humorous.

9/10
Dec 1, 2013 9:54 PM

Jul 2013
I don't understand the hate that this show got.. reading the bad reviews, I've skipped this show several times but one day I was bored and decided to watch a few episodes and I'm glad I did.

There's a good balance between comedy and drama, without one over-weighing the others and it prevented the show from becoming boring. I marathoned this show because I just can't wait to see what happen next. I don't see how the drama was forced at all, in fact it all came naturally considering Kotoura's circumstances. Overall, one of the nicer one cour shows around. The only thing that let me down was the lack of kiss in the final episode but other than that the chemistry between Kotoura and Manabe was portrayed very nicely.

9/10.
Dec 29, 2013 6:47 PM

Jan 2012
6/10

very misleading show...

did not expected another retarded random slice of life bullshit from such an intense start...

shame
Jan 19, 2014 3:47 AM

Aug 2013
The first few episodes were good, excellent mix of comedy and drama. Not a lot of shows make me go all "stop playing with my feelings!" Then I felt like it was trying to be a lot of things, not committing to anything. The resolution for each major event was rushed. It was like "here's a lot of drama...oops but we don't want to get too dramatic because you know, this is still a comedy so let's end it with something lighthearted."

The detective arc was just a mess. It was really interesting at first and then...ugh.

It's good to see Kotoura made up with her mom but it's like...that's it?

*sigh*
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Feb 6, 2014 3:29 PM

May 2012
Really great ending to finish off this show! With even having her mother appear and showing what really happened that day was really touching as well! The slides of the credits making it even better! The confession made it a great ending in general and made this show really lovely!

All by all I really loved this anime, the pacing, characters and even the overall atmosphere was great so therefore I'll give this anime a good 9/10!
Feb 18, 2014 4:11 AM

Feb 2013
Great show....still don't understand the bad reviews and ratings......

Ok so still hate the mom. I hate the dad more, because he was the worst, but I don't care if she "felt bad" when she left, she still fucking left....what a bitch....but I will at least give it to her that she seems to be trying again, so that's good and all, but I still think she's a giant bitch.

Anyway, I think I'm giving this series a 7 or 8/10.
Mar 31, 2014 1:56 PM
Feb 2009
7/10 the whole arc about the criminal just went downhill from there on
Jun 5, 2014 2:52 AM
May 2014
such a good anime... made me cry a few times but i loved it.

keen for a season 2 but i guess it wont likely have another.

10/10
Jul 12, 2014 3:22 PM
Nov 2011
The beginning was extremely surprising and I really liked the transition on how crappy her life was to how it slowly became better. Usually I won't stand for the whole "It's my fault QQ" type of deal most MC's in shoujo manga and anime tend to do, but I'll forgive it in this anime because her life was really shit in the beginning. It's only natural that since she never had anyone (other than her gramps and the priest/monk) that she'd blame herself for a lot of the problems her friends faced. Near the ending she stopped blaming herself when she remembered what Manabe said, which was really excellent.

The only problem (like everyone else I believe) was that police arc. It was just awful and terrible. It really shouldn't have been put in the anime at all. I nearly gave it a 5/10 for the terrible arch before finishing the final episode which redeemed itself to a 7/10 for me.

If possible I'd give it a 3.5/5, but it's probably leaning more towards 3. That police arch was unforgivable.

One of the redeeming features this anime had was definitely the emotions, I really liked how the eyes looked whenever they felt hopeless. Great anime and looking forward to a season 2 where it hopefully isn't as rushed as season 1.
Sep 20, 2014 2:25 AM

Dec 2012
MORE MORE MORE !!!!!!!!!!!

- barely alive -
Dec 28, 2014 4:12 AM
Jun 2014
i didn't know it was so easy to forgive not total crap
Jan 12, 2015 2:31 PM
Apr 2014
This episode represents well the show. It had quite a good potential, but it mostly went wasted throughout the story. The comedy is fine and enjoyable, but the drama, while it had a solid basis, was handled in a really bad way. Especially her situation with her mother; like the fact she was crying when she left would be enough to forget about all the bad times MC had to go through...
Moritani was the same: if she was supposed to become the comic relief and a reliable friend, what was the point in making her so dislikeable at the beginning? It's like she had a completely opposite personality after the first five episodes.
Overall good comedy and bad drama: 6/10
Jan 19, 2015 12:16 PM
Aug 2014
Been awhile since I saw an anime that tugs at the heartstrings while making you laugh. 9/10 for me.
Feb 18, 2015 4:39 PM

Jan 2014
It had a strong start, then it got meh in the middle, but the last episode was great. I give this a 7/10. Made me laugh alot and it was cute :)
Feb 25, 2015 8:36 AM

Sep 2014
I absolutely despise the fact she forgave her poor worthless trashy excuse for a mother in the end, and she did it so easly lol. I wanted to see that whore suffer, but i guess I came to a wrong place...

4/10.
Feb 25, 2015 9:18 AM

Mar 2008
08/10
Mar 25, 2015 11:27 AM

May 2008
They balanced the drama and comedy pretty well. Only the last arc was a little too obvious and it dragged out a while until the suspect revealed her identity which most of us already know it miles away. The last episode was not that bad :3 Would really like to see more... 9/10
Mar 26, 2015 8:19 AM

Nov 2011
And they all lived happily ever after. With this sentence we can summarize the whole episode, the final putting in place all the problems present in the plot.
Narration quiet, calm rhythm from a background with a wistful, perhaps a bit too fast troubleshooting, oh well!
TV series that had a nice strong start by the impact, and then not being able to capitalize on the fruits, with a second part of the season a little bland, the final lifts a little history thanks to those who did not leave contentions open but close all accounts at once.
Too bad though that is short-lived, perhaps a longer season would give many more chances regarding its popularity.
My rating is 6.5 / 10!
Mar 28, 2015 6:13 PM
Mar 2015
this is my favorite episode because the ending with her mom made me tear up a little bit. what i really liked is when she finally confessed to manabe.
May 25, 2015 11:33 PM

Dec 2008
Well show got really predictable by the end...though the psychiatrist resolution of beating out your emotions on another with a pillow was funny. iIN the end the show was funny, and had one or two ups and downs. Still though....ERO GRANDPA!!! 7.5/10
Jun 11, 2015 6:31 AM
May 2014
It was an alright series. It had a great start but turned mediocre by the end, it got to the point where I was pushing myself to finish it. Call it wasted potential, I guess. 5/10.
Jun 11, 2015 8:12 PM

Aug 2012
Gonna be boring and agree with most people about this anime. Great first episode that promised a lot...and the rest of the series had its ups and downs...leaving it a mediocre experience. This is one of those shows that had great potential both with characters and plot, but ended up letting itself down a bit.

The mother-daughter conflict could have been the pillar of a very strong story, but instead it was sterile, emotionally impotent and never got any momentum. The team behind this anime just gave this open goal away and made the show very standard and generic for its genre. Either they lacked time or ambition...or both, i dont know.

Well worth watching however, and the incredibly good voice actor behind Haruka is the same one that did Ika-chan!
DeliciousKawaiiJun 11, 2015 8:26 PM
Jun 30, 2015 3:13 PM

Feb 2015
It was a lovely anime. I wish more would be like this one.
Oct 6, 2015 2:47 AM
Mar 2008
Yvese said:
The series started off strong and totally unexpected. I didn't let that mislead me though since I knew it wouldn't have the same tone for the rest of the series. My expectations remained low throughout so my enjoyment remained intact.

There were some things that bothered/annoyed me like Moritani being a bitch at the start then joining the gang, and Kotoura blaming herself repeatedly. The former I got over, but the latter annoyed me after the 2nd or 3rd time. Despite those 2 annoyances, it was good. Thus, 7/10.

Best part of this ep:

Giggity. If only! :D

ihateeveryone said:
I hated how little buildup there was to Kotoura and her mom's resolution and meet up. It's like she just came into the apartment and they made up after a little fight of feelings and a sleepover.

Strong start as everyone says, but then it turned to shit. Shame, this could've been really great. 4/10
Can't really blame them though. This was the last ep so they had to fit all they could. It would have been better if they didn't do that detective arc and instead focused on Kotoura reconciling with her mom.

I havn't read the manga though so I have no idea if this is how it's supposed to go.

They wouldn't have had to have such a forced, rushed reconciliation though if they cut out some of the fluff, which was like 80% of this anime.

Sigh, such a strong start .. disappointed.
Oct 17, 2015 3:42 PM

Mar 2010
the mom <3
Oct 24, 2015 5:13 AM
Sep 2015
ihateeveryone said:
I hated how little buildup there was to Kotoura and her mom's resolution and meet up. It's like she just came into the apartment and they made up after a little fight of feelings and a sleepover.

Strong start as everyone says, but then it turned to shit. Shame, this could've been really great. 4/10

Exacly! I dont understand how people liked the way it all worked out when her mother created a living hell for Kotoura to live in for years. Instead of a pillowfight she should had told her to fuck off and thrown her in out the garbage where she belongs.
Apr 26, 2016 9:01 AM

Mar 2014
Club disbanding .. Oh well .. yeah right ~ . This Research Society ~ .
And that's settles it . Very heartwarming for the mending ~ .
Perfect Episode ~ !!! Great overall ~ . It is too lighthearted for me after all <3 .

Well , I thought it would be a generic kind of lighthearted anime but I was spoiling it a little bit . I cannot say having drama as a twist would deliberately makes it appealing because the comedy was superior to it .
Anyway , They did mixed up nicely . It is definitely comical and underrated .
Cliched or not, if it makes you laugh , there is no reason not to like it ~ :D .
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 16, 2016 8:30 AM
Jun 2016
Personaly this Anime rose to my top slot. I may not have seen many but i LOVED this one. The start was excellent, the end was excellent, true a bit rushed but still excellent. The middle is where it gets a bit generic thats true. But those who give it a bad rating because of it are missing something in my opinion. The detective arc yes that could of been improved majorly. But I feel as it was a necessity because the entire show is based on reversing the way Kotoura thinks. For example, in the beginning she thought she could never have friends, but she found out she could. The detective arc was just to prove to Kotoura, well so that she could prove to herself more rather, that she can help others with her ability. I feel as if the people who give below a 7 are either misinterpreting, skipping episodes, or just missing some information in general. I thought character development was pretty well rounded. While there was not much of it, each character had its shining moment and I feel I knew what I needed to know. Manabe, a young man who has a bit more lustful thoughts than most men, but is still a loving and caring boyfriend who would rather see his girlfriend be safe than do anything else. He is loyal yet not the sharpest tool in the shed, but a general pleasure to the series. That is an example of the character development. Small short, but all you need to know. In the end I feel as if this show is over criticized. Mainly because after reading some people who vote low 4/10 and lower, seem to not mention some of the funny or important stuff in middle episodes, so i feel as if they skipped when the dark stuff in the beginning episodes faded away. Anyways thats why I love this anime, because almost no thought is involved, no hidden backstory leaked out, just take it as it is comedy. And thats why I feel people hate it, because it strays from the back and is rather straightforward. In the end, I give a 10/10
Jun 22, 2016 2:33 AM
Jun 2016
Didn't liked it all. I came to know that it was last episode when i checked net. I was expecting more episode. How can it be last episode without any pervert thing.....
Jul 10, 2016 4:01 AM

Oct 2015
aww I cried so hard when Kotoura fell asleep next to her mother ;(
Oct 15, 2016 3:02 AM

Jun 2016
satisfying ending.
love every episode of this show.

The world is cruel, ugly and pitiful. Let's watch anime and make it colorful
Feb 13, 2017 5:01 PM
Jul 2018
Overall a decent show. It got surprisingly dark at times (seriously, what was with that last murder story arc???) and sometimes I got the feeling the showrunners didn't know what to do with it-- a lot of episodes felt a bit random, and the story structure felt all over the place.

And Moritani's 180 degree turn as a character, along with the fact that she sent people to beat up Manabe, was completed brushed off because Kotoura saw into her heart that she was in pain and ~*~forgiveness~*~ and whatever... Gimme a break. I also don't understand the logic of getting your crush beaten up when she could have just sent thugs to beat up Kotoura instead... But whatever, Moritani was a totally useless character after she was accepted by Kotoura and the others, she seriously added nothing to the show.

Ah well, I enjoyed the show for what it is, and I really like the interactions between Manabe and Kotoura. I find them to be a pretty non-typical and refreshing couple, with Manabe teasing her with thinking all his pervy thoughts, but at the same time, he's very open about his affection for her. I thought it was super sweet♥♥ Also like Muroto/Yuriko but too bad nothing really developed there.
Apr 13, 2017 6:33 AM

Oct 2013
Man, in my opinion that was a big example of how it is possible to make a great serie with few episodes. I loved it. In overall. Really.

It has a good idea, well planned plot, romance, humor, drama...

For me it only missed a kiss however the main ship was so consistent that wasn't a defeat you know? which could screw up the whole serie as some animes around.

I want a second season ;_;
Jun 3, 2017 5:12 AM
Mar 2017
Soo Cute! The SHIP has SAILD!!

Rate 8/10 cuz no kiss scene well not complaining :D
Jun 10, 2017 1:04 AM

May 2015
Glad Haruka said all of the things that she was keeping inside to her mother thus enabling her to move on with her life... thanks to her meeting Yoshihisa she made quite the progress in a short amount of time... I can imagine after this anime ende that she is going to be a happier person and this is not counting when she is finally able to have MC children. Lol!

Hope Yuriko feelings reach Daichi in the near future and Hiyori finds a guy that reciprocates her feelings...

Overall this was a good animation with lots of potential but sadly 12 episodes wasn’t enough to flesh out some of the characters, I wanted to see Manabe backstory, Haruka's grandfather & Daichi (pre-Yuriko)...
Aug 1, 2017 10:54 AM

Apr 2017
Kind of a shit ending to an otherwise good series. The mom should have been run over by a truck somewhere, she did not deserve any symphaty from Kotoura whatsoever.

Also, not even a kiss at the end? They focused too much on family drama and too little on the romance. Ecchi-comedy got too repetitive and was overused as well. Anyway, I like the series overall.

7/10 from me.
Aug 14, 2017 4:29 PM

Sep 2014
Really don't have much to say about this show, the first and last episode had a strong feeling but throughout the series it really didn't live up to it. Regarding the last episode, I really only liked the complicated relationship between Kotoura and her mother. Honestly, I'm happy that the mother finally had a decent talk with her only daughter, I just wished she would have actually apologized herself rather than Kotoura reading her mind. Because let's be honest if Kotoura didn't have the power to read minds she wouldn't know what really happened when her mother left. Either way I'm happy their on good terms.

The show overall really messed up on the whole drama and romcom tied to it. Can't really explain much on this note, It could have done better if they focused more on the seriousness than the comedic aspect of the show, either way I rated this anime 8/10 from the start ending to a 6/10. (^~^;)ゞ
Sep 2, 2017 6:59 AM
Jun 2014
Japan must spawn some of the most vile females on the planet. At least, anime watching females. What do anime teach you? If you're a princess (Japanese females in general) you can do no wrong. If you've massacred a whole city, you're forgiven. If you've bludgeoned people almost to death, you're forgiven. If you've abandoned your child and suddenly reappear, you're forgiven. If you bully and make lives of others miserable, the blame is shifted for laughs towards protagonist or simply forgiven.

This is one aspect of anime and japan in general that i'll never get used to. Not that i want to.
Nov 3, 2017 2:23 AM

May 2017
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Finally, this show is over.

Well, I would say that this finale was okay but wasn't anything too special. Ya, even the mom makes her usual grumpy appearance again. The talk between the two were kinda grumpy as well. Nice to see Kotoura-chan own her with that pillow :3 Lol @ Manabe and his perversions with attempted kiss. Oh God. Dem tears

I'll rate this series 5/10 for now.

5/10?

Are you one of those FEW who expects this show to be some kind of battle shounen or a supernatural seinen when it's clearly just a RomCom?
Nov 12, 2017 1:24 PM

Oct 2013
I really want to smack Kotoura's mom in the back of her head, why did she acted like a total bitch after she abandoned her own daughter tho. Well at least she came back and cleared up everything about her feelings towards her daughter. I wonder where Kotoura's dad is, he never showed up since the first episode

I'm so happy for Kotoura that she finally found people who care about her. Kinda feel bad about Moritani tho, but Kotoura and Manabe looks so cute together.

Overall score 7/10
Mar 1, 2018 7:26 AM

Mar 2016
Kotoura is cute. Not sure that the heavier elements were handled as well as the comedy. Was kind of hoping that that would just be a set up and that feeling would fade away as the show continued on, but the 'suffering' continued, and it didn't make sense for it to do so. Moritani was horrible, but the show was consistent in 'punishing' her humorously. The whole detective attack story did not seem necessary. At the very least they could have wrapped up the president's 'I'm a villain who wants to use your power' thing in a different way; not that they were consistent with this either. Liked the animation, designs and colors, and the characters weren't bad in any way. The writing in the beginning episodes felt rushed. Could have been better.

Also, people who like suffering should fuck off. Bottom of the barrel taste.
syncrogazerMar 1, 2018 7:41 AM
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bastek66 - Jan 17, 2013

300 by TecknicalWarrior »»
Apr 30, 10:29 AM

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

GotenSakurauchi - Jan 10, 2013

457 by TecknicalWarrior »»
Apr 30, 9:50 AM

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2013

152 by _untitled »»
Apr 29, 7:29 AM

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 7, 2013

172 by _untitled »»
Apr 8, 7:55 AM

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 31, 2013

210 by _untitled »»
Mar 25, 9:06 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.