Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 13, 2008 12:00 AM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Superb animation as expected from the team who did Gurren Lagann. Some what typical space mecha anime story but still good.
So what happened to Nono?
Dec 13, 2008 4:19 AM

Jun 2007
So, what's with those alterations and new scenes they made on Diebuster? Anything important or substantial? Did they change anything on Gunbuster too?
Jul 31, 2009 7:24 PM
May 2009
Retsu-kun said:
So, what's with those alterations and new scenes they made on Diebuster? Anything important or substantial? Did they change anything on Gunbuster too?

Nono's Inazuma Kick at the end of ep 1 is omitted, they just had Lal'C destroy the Space Monster with a Buster Beam, so there's some new footage there (nothing exciting though). The events of episodes 2 and 3 are pretty much entirely cut, but we get a bit of new footage where Lal'C teases Nono and the others comment that she's been laughing alot more lately. Also a brief shot amongst the events of episode 4 just before that one Buster Machine gets split apart by the Fluctuating Gravity Well's projectiles, where we see it actually firing them (it's crappy though, just some CGI on top of a static image). Some dialogue is changed a bit too (for example, Casio just takes Nono to Pluto, rather than having already been shipped out there, and in episode 6, after Lal'C's meeting with the Privy Council, the dialogue about the "legendary hidden ruins" is changed to talking about humanity potentially having to battle the Topless in the same way as the Fluctuating Gravity Wells, and probably some other things too).

Gunbuster gets no new footage at all, and is, to be honset, a huge mess.
CrowbarJul 31, 2009 7:29 PM
Jan 31, 2010 1:20 AM
Oct 2009
There's no point to watching Gunbuster as a 90 minute movie, unless you've watched the OVA already. I watched it today, and I was pretty much confused the entire time. PLUS, it ruined the ending of the OVA for me when I get it from Netflix.

On the plus side, the animation was pretty darn good, but it was just cut from the OVA anyway...
Sep 9, 2011 10:21 PM

Aug 2011
aero said:
the team who did Gurren Lagann.

It's the other way around. After seeing Diebuster, I can say for a fact, that while I still like it, TTGL was rip-off of it.

Also, nono died. Yes... she died.
Electric_BarrierApr 9, 2014 11:25 PM
Jul 10, 2014 8:26 AM

May 2012
Just amazed how they managed to make the 6 episodes in this 1:30 hour movie, the whole story fitted in quite lovely and the main story got over amazingly well! I secretly hoped that the last part (last episode) would be in color with this movie but well it was still very lovely and that ending is just touching as hell!

Let's see what the second movie has to offer us!
Aug 19, 2014 10:00 PM

Feb 2008
This is an abomination and a cheap cash in. Just stick to the OVA and rewatch the OVA if you feel like watching Gunbuster again. The movie was a total waste of time and cut out too much content to even make it watchable.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Dec 26, 2014 9:45 AM

Sep 2013
I thought that worked just fine, having first seen the OVA series. Sure its joints were creaking at certain points that would've required a bit slower pace, but I still got all the same feels as I got when watching the OVA. This works well if you want to re-experience the best moments and a quick refresh on the plot.

Damn, I got chills when they did the iconic Inazuma Kick, and then later when Noriko ripped her shirt.

I love this series.
Jan 14, 2017 7:32 PM

Apr 2012
I know a lot COULD be cut from this but they were pretty ruthless. Tried to forget any prior knowledge before watching it, but...

Whole training on earth sequence, and Noriko's struggles? Cut down to a couple of pre-credits minutes. OK
Russian rival pilot Jung? Completely gone (until the end)
We learn nothing of Gunbuster's existence before Noriko steals it
No indication of the relationship between Amano and Coach...

idk, considering its length they could've spared 10 minutes to add in at least one of these; we really don't get very invested in any of the characters until we're well into it (the best we get is Smith lasting about 5 minutes total)

On the plus side, the last 2 episodes seemed to make it in pretty much intact, but a *little* more backstory would've added heaps.
*seems the first 4 got about 10 minutes each actually.

Could've at least coloured in the last episode! If one old anime series really needs a remake, it's Gunbuster
BlackoutingJan 18, 2017 5:17 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! & Top wo Nerae 2! Gattai Movie!! Episode 2 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - Jul 10, 2014

2 by Blackouting »»
Jan 18, 2017 5:07 AM

» question about the THOR release

KaminaKai - Jan 18, 2009

2 by Blazingluke »»
Feb 13, 2010 9:09 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.