Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Mar 11, 2013 11:47 AM

Mar 2011
I never mentioned anything about hardship, silly. And the fact I consider this episode the most interesting episode so far doesn't mean I was bored throughout the previous. But, hey, all congratulations are welcome. :)
Mar 11, 2013 11:54 AM

Sep 2012
Ryekeel said:
I never mentioned anything about hardship, silly. And the fact I consider this episode the most interesting episode so far doesn't mean I was bored throughout the previous. But, hey, all congratulations are welcome. :)
Well, if you said this episode is "the only damn interesting episode so far in the series", isn't it the same as saying you think all the other episodes are not interesting? And if they are not interesting, isn't it saying that you find them boring?
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Mar 11, 2013 12:23 PM

Mar 2011
Not really. What I was getting at was that this is the only episode so far that's elicited a response from me akin to "oh, that was cool" or similar. The previous episodes for me have been pretty mundane.
Mar 11, 2013 1:21 PM

Jun 2007
Orulyon said:
Funny that I always thought that Aika was Sycorax. I mean, she has much more of Sycorax circumstances (dead mighty powerful character that controls the "bad" magic but Prospero ends up being similar to her, so none is really "evil" or "good" just like the trees), but then she commits suicide like Ophelia.

It's interesting how the Tree of Exodus/Genesis are so similar to the relationship between Prospero and Sycorax (just as you say, they represent "good" and "bad" but the line between dark and white magic, red and blue in this case, is pretty blurry), yet Aika also represents Sycorax in the more humanistic elements; it's almost as though they are linking Aika to Medea as an archetype. But that's why Aika steals the show.
Mar 11, 2013 1:31 PM
Jul 2010
symbv said:
The fact is I think this anime has managed to portray Aika in a very sympathetic light and it was clear at least from the midpoint of the series when she made it clear how much she loves Yoshino but also cares about Mashiro.
Agreed. I think I liked her from the very beginning though, since due to both her peculiar personality and her role in the story (being dead from the start yet being the trigger for everything), she reminded of a certain character I love from another series. Though in the end they are quite different. But yeah, they did quite a great job in portraying Aika's character through all those flashbacks.

symbv said:
Also don't forget that the name of "Tree of Genesis" or "Tree of Exodus" is just found in English translation. In Japanese the names of the trees Hajimari no Ki and Zetsuen no Ki do not convey much Christian connotation.
And now you really make me wonder why the choice of such a translation. I mean... why not stick with the literal translation? Was it a random or a purposeful choice? I'm certainly not informed regarding that, but it really made me curious.
Mar 11, 2013 2:39 PM

Mar 2011
Continuum_Blaze said:
I never knew that there was so much dislike for Aika, but then again I'm not on the forums that much at all. Guess I was in the minority for liking Aika from the start :P

Same here. I especially like her interactions with Yoshino...and in a strange way, I think the two complement each other well. They are the only two stand-out characters in the show for me.
Mar 11, 2013 2:56 PM

Sep 2012
Dusk252 said:
symbv said:
Also don't forget that the name of "Tree of Genesis" or "Tree of Exodus" is just found in English translation. In Japanese the names of the trees Hajimari no Ki and Zetsuen no Ki do not convey much Christian connotation.
And now you really make me wonder why the choice of such a translation. I mean... why not stick with the literal translation? Was it a random or a purposeful choice? I'm certainly not informed regarding that, but it really made me curious.
That also puzzles me. I can see how Hajimari no Ki becomes Tree of Genesis because Hajimari no Ki is literally translated as "Tree of the beginning". However Zetsuen no Ki is much trickier because Zetsuen is a word coined by the author (as far as I can tell) so it is not easy to translate.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Mar 11, 2013 3:41 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
symbv said:
^ Also don't forget that the name of "Tree of Genesis" or "Tree of Exodus" is just found in English translation. In Japanese the names of the trees Hajimari no Ki and Zetsuen no Ki do not convey much Christian connotation.
I'm glad you pointed that out. It always seemed odd to me but I was just figuring whatever.
Mar 11, 2013 4:07 PM

Aug 2011
Incredible! I love time travel so much. The battle near the bridge had great animation, it really portrayed Fuwa Aika's graceful finesse with the blade.

The death scene was inevitable. The past wasn't going to change anyway but it was still a great sight for Hakaze to see Yoshino and Mahiro at the end before they formally meet. The most enjoyable episode yet.
Mar 11, 2013 4:20 PM
Nov 2010
Would like to see them battle again in a friendly fight.

I'm curious as to which one would win if Hakaze's powers didn't have any restrictions

Too bad that never will happen. Those two would have been nice friends if Aika was still alive
Mar 11, 2013 5:15 PM

Jan 2013
symbv said:
^ Also don't forget that the name of "Tree of Genesis" or "Tree of Exodus" is just found in English translation. In Japanese the names of the trees Hajimari no Ki and Zetsuen no Ki do not convey much Christian connotation.

What do they convey in Japanese? Is there some symbolic cultural aspect that the English version seems to insinuate?
"What color do you want to be?" -Shiina Mashiro
Mar 11, 2013 5:30 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
mora404 said:
symbv said:

What do they convey in Japanese? Is there some symbolic cultural aspect that the English version seems to insinuate?
Obviously I'm no expert on the Japanese, but taken literally from my dictionary the one is Tree of Beginning or Tree of Dawn, while the later is Tree of Breaking off relations
Mar 11, 2013 7:10 PM
Jul 2010
symbv said:
Dusk252 said:
symbv said:
That also puzzles me. I can see how Hajimari no Ki becomes Tree of Genesis because Hajimari no Ki is literally translated as "Tree of the beginning". However Zetsuen no Ki is much trickier because Zetsuen is a word coined by the author (as far as I can tell) so it is not easy to translate.
Yeah, I knew how Hajimari no Ki translated (and yeah, it does make sense to use Genesis in that sense - specially with all the mentions of parallels with religious cults) but I knew nothing about Zetsuen and according to the google it means "isolation"? From there to Exodus is a bit of a push if you ask me. I really wanted to know if there was such a connection regarding the symbolism right there.
Mar 11, 2013 7:39 PM
May 2012
I should've guessed!! All this time, THERE IS NO MURDERER OF FUWA AIKA!!

It was her all along I mean Aika just kill herself!!

Next Episode: Why Megumu is pissed & punches both Mahiro & Yoshino?! What is goin on?!
JafriZinMar 11, 2013 7:50 PM
Mar 11, 2013 9:01 PM
Jul 2010
Just had to post this here:

from tumblr
Mar 11, 2013 10:17 PM

Sep 2012
mora404 said:
symbv said:

Dusk252 said:
symbv said:
I can see how Hajimari no Ki becomes Tree of Genesis because Hajimari no Ki is literally translated as "Tree of the beginning". However Zetsuen no Ki is much trickier because Zetsuen is a word coined by the author (as far as I can tell) so it is not easy to translate.
Yeah, I knew how Hajimari no Ki translated (and yeah, it does make sense to use Genesis in that sense - specially with all the mentions of parallels with religious cults) but I knew nothing about Zetsuen and according to the google it means "isolation"? From there to Exodus is a bit of a push if you ask me. I really wanted to know if there was such a connection regarding the symbolism right there.
Tree of Genesis is actually 始まりの樹 in original Japanese. This one is clear, as you said. And it is also clear how a translator may take it to translate it as Tree of Genesis. Tree of Exodus is much trickier. In original Japanese it is 絶園の樹 and 絶園 (Zetsuen) is coined term so there is no clear meaning in Japanese. If we parse the kanji, while 園 has a clear meaning of Garden, 絶 can have a broad range of meanings usually depends on what conjugate noun it forms. Usually it means Cut-off, Isolate, Interrupt, Absolute, Extreme. However, since there is no conjugate noun as 絶園 it is hard to tell what exactly 絶 means in this noun. A best guess is a conjugate noun that has the same pronunciation 絶縁 (Zetsuen) which means "relationship break-off". The author may have made the decision to change the second kanji from 縁 to 園 as a very subtle reference to the Garden of Eden, which may perhaps inspired the translator to pick a biblical term to name this Zetsuen no Ki as Tree of Exodus as a reference to the Exodus from Eden.

Mar 11, 2013 11:03 PM
Jul 2010
symbv said:
mora404 said:
symbv said:

Dusk252 said:
symbv said:
I can see how Hajimari no Ki becomes Tree of Genesis because Hajimari no Ki is literally translated as "Tree of the beginning". However Zetsuen no Ki is much trickier because Zetsuen is a word coined by the author (as far as I can tell) so it is not easy to translate.
Tree of Genesis is actually 始まりの樹 in original Japanese. This one is clear, as you said. And it is also clear how a translator may take it to translate it as Tree of Genesis. Tree of Exodus is much trickier. In original Japanese it is 絶園の樹 and 絶園 (Zetsuen) is coined term so there is no clear meaning in Japanese. If we parse the kanji, while 園 has a clear meaning of Garden, 絶 can have a broad range of meanings usually depends on what conjugate noun it forms. Usually it means Cut-off, Isolate, Interrupt, Absolute, Extreme. However, since there is no conjugate noun as 絶園 it is hard to tell what exactly 絶 means in this noun. A best guess is a conjugate noun that has the same pronunciation 絶縁 (Zetsuen) which means "relationship break-off". The author may have made the decision to change the second kanji from 縁 to 園 as a very subtle reference to the Garden of Eden, which may perhaps inspired the translator to pick a biblical term to name this Zetsuen no Ki as Tree of Exodus as a reference to the Exodus from Eden.
I see. I really have to thank you for the detailed explanation. I still don't think we'll know if such a reference was or not intended, but I can now understand the translator's decision. Specially since having named one of them as Tree of Genesis, it makes the most sense to stick with the biblical terms to name its counterpart. It's still somewhat of a doubtful choice, but judging by what you said, there really doesn't seem to be any way of getting a clear grasp of what the author meant, so it's also an understandable one.
And once again, thanks for the explanation.
Mar 12, 2013 6:22 AM

Jul 2011
Dusk252 said:

from tumblr

Thx I loved it!
Mar 12, 2013 8:03 AM

Oct 2007
Dusk252 said:

from tumblr
"And I also a troll."

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Mar 12, 2013 8:17 AM

Oct 2012
Nice episode despicting final Aika moments.

Aika's monologue leading to the end (19:10 and on) is easily one of most memorable scenes in anime lately.

Well still one thing is missing - who was Hanemura's girlfriend then? Was it Aika also? You know opening IS about breaking up and letting go.
Mich666Mar 12, 2013 8:45 AM
Mar 12, 2013 9:51 AM

Jul 2011
Siva said:
Dusk252 said:
"And I also a troll."

There was not enough space to add as you can see.
Mar 12, 2013 10:15 AM
Jul 2010
ainky said:
Siva said:
Dusk252 said:
"And I also a troll."

Hmmm... I think I might make one myself xD It should turn out funny.
Mar 12, 2013 11:17 AM

Oct 2007
plumflora said:
i wish they did a better job at hiding aika's true identity, but i wasn't that disappointed; this episode is my favorite so far, and i can't express how much i like the ending for this ep!
That is not the point of this show. From the very beginning the show is trying to make you believe everything can be Right or Wrong, Bad or Good, and Yes or No. Everytime they showed something is good and then latter on they will show you the same thing can be also bad.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Mar 12, 2013 11:19 AM

Apr 2012
I think what Aika said in this episode pretty much sums up the show, "This is the beginning and the end."
What a profound statement given we know so far. It's remarkable how this show forces you to reassess every character's role even this late into the story and I don't think there is another anime where a character who is dead from the beginning is the driving force behind...well..pretty much everything.
5/5 Outstanding episode through and through.
Mar 12, 2013 8:46 PM

Nov 2008
symbv said:
mora404 said:
symbv said:

Dusk252 said:
symbv said:

I'll throw in a few thoughts. First off, "Exodus" is traditionally associated with the departure from Egypt, not with the expulsion from Eden. So if we want to have a biblical connection, Zetsuen would be closer to "cut off from the garden", and thus would be the "Tree of Expulsion".

And the tree that caused the expulsion from the Garden of Eden was the Tree of Knowledge. And in Zetsuen no Tempest, the Zetsuen no Ki is the tree that provides the power and knowledge to destroy the Hajimari no Ki.

So to me, this appears to be a retelling not only of some Shakespearian themes, but also a subtle take on the Expulsion from the Garden, with I suppose, Aika as Eve, who has effectively originated everything thanks to time loops.

In any event, just some thoughts to toss around.
Mar 13, 2013 5:57 AM
Jul 2010
Dusk252 said:
ainky said:
Siva said:
Dusk252 said:
"And I also a troll."

Hmmm... I think I might make one myself xD It should turn out funny.
And so I did it... Well, I actually made my serious take at a proper gif on the quote plus the troll version.
Serious one:

Troll one:

dbaranyi said:
symbv said:

I'll throw in a few thoughts. First off, "Exodus" is traditionally associated with the departure from Egypt, not with the expulsion from Eden. So if we want to have a biblical connection, Zetsuen would be closer to "cut off from the garden", and thus would be the "Tree of Expulsion".

And the tree that caused the expulsion from the Garden of Eden was the Tree of Knowledge. And in Zetsuen no Tempest, the Zetsuen no Ki is the tree that provides the power and knowledge to destroy the Hajimari no Ki.

So to me, this appears to be a retelling not only of some Shakespearian themes, but also a subtle take on the Expulsion from the Garden, with I suppose, Aika as Eve, who has effectively originated everything thanks to time loops.

In any event, just some thoughts to toss around.
Those are indeed some interesting thoughts. And logical ones at that. Although I truly think the issue here is how the parallels are drawn. In most cases, when a medium draws parallels with other without blatantly copying a storyline, you can understand there are parallels, but you can't pinpoint at least some of them. And it's the same with this show and Shakespeare, to be honest. As it was even lampshaded in-universe by Aika this episode, the characters all fit more than one role in Shakespearean works, though they fit none absolutely perfectly. I guess one could say the same about the biblic references.
hontobakaMar 13, 2013 6:01 AM
Mar 13, 2013 6:12 AM

Jul 2011
Dusk252 said:

Thx again, good work! =P
Mar 14, 2013 7:10 AM

Jan 2008
Wow, the music really shined in this episode! I hope they'll include the long version of 邂逅 which was played during the fight between aika and hakaze in the 2nd OST!
Mar 14, 2013 5:21 PM

Sep 2009
Fallen_Lullaby said:
This episode answered MOST of the questions. Aika's main motivation is her love towards Yoshino and Mahiro which I find endearing.

Eh, that's not what I got out of this at all. In fact, it's the opposite of what happened. Her motivation was destroying the Tree of Genesis regardless of how it would destroy Yoshino and Mahiro saying that they still may be happy after it's all over.
Mar 14, 2013 5:53 PM

Jul 2010
Aika, forever in my hearto.You go to my fav chars.
Mar 14, 2013 6:29 PM
Mar 2010
Really good episode. Nice to see more of Aika and how the whole story fits together. Looking forward to seeing how they hope to take out the tree!
Mar 14, 2013 9:57 PM
Oct 2011
outlawauron said:
Fallen_Lullaby said:
This episode answered MOST of the questions. Aika's main motivation is her love towards Yoshino and Mahiro which I find endearing.

Eh, that's not what I got out of this at all. In fact, it's the opposite of what happened. Her motivation was destroying the Tree of Genesis regardless of how it would destroy Yoshino and Mahiro saying that they still may be happy after it's all over.

Erm really? She just said she didn't care about civilization or humanity or whatever enough to sacrifice her life, she told Hakaze the mage of Zetsuen(that's what she refers herself in the manga)normally wouldnt be the one leading the world to destruction. Plus I read the manga and she clearly says in her monologue she does it for Yoshino and Mahiro.
Fallen_LullabyMar 14, 2013 10:05 PM
Mar 15, 2013 6:36 AM
Jul 2010
Fallen_Lullaby said:
outlawauron said:
Fallen_Lullaby said:

Erm really? She just said she didn't care about civilization or humanity or whatever enough to sacrifice her life, she told Hakaze the mage of Zetsuen(that's what she refers herself in the manga)normally wouldnt be the one leading the world to destruction. Plus I read the manga and she clearly says in her monologue she does it for Yoshino and Mahiro.
She says it here too. She simply thinks them dying is worse than them suffering with her death. And that's true. They may still be happy, they just have to accept what happened, and though that's not easy, it's feasible. And I think they're actually heading in a good direction regarding that.
Mar 15, 2013 5:25 PM

Jul 2008
Damn that was good. Your move Hakaze, your move.
Mar 16, 2013 2:21 AM

Aug 2012
Saw it coming from a mile away...
You best be joking, nigger.
Mar 16, 2013 4:21 AM

Dec 2012
God.. Aika.. I just so awesome, I'm still needing more of that from her! Sadly.. It won't happen cuz of the sad truth that she's dead.. I still love her <3
Mar 16, 2013 6:36 AM

Jun 2012
I can't describe in words how I love Aika as a character. Such a hard person, yet so beautiful and intelligent. Other than that, I really didn't like the fact that she was the mage of exodus. It just rubs me the wrong way for some reason. Atleast it made sense.
Welcome to club: Anime that Should Continue
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=37045
Mar 18, 2013 9:39 AM

Jan 2008
joshlul said:
Good episode, I can't say it wasn't predictable though. This is exactly what I thought was going to happen,
there is a line between foreshadowing and giving away what's going to happen that the writers of this obviously can't see, regardless it is still a great show.
I personally didn't see this coming at all lol. Then again, I try not to guess at what might happen in the future in shows so that I don't ruin it by guessing right.

Mar 20, 2013 11:37 PM
Aug 2011
That English, that punch, those swords, that magic.

Fastest 24 minutes i've come across with this series.

Once again, good job Bones. This is some actual quality quality animation and execution.
Because of that I don't know if I even actually want to keep reading the manga after this. (Even though I do love the art.)
Mar 24, 2013 10:31 AM

Aug 2010
Fuwa Aika... so many feels this episode. Aika really proved herself this episode. It was nice to see the two heroines meet. Hakaze tried her best to stop her but she didn't stand a chance against Aika.

5/5
Apr 4, 2013 5:55 PM
Nov 2012
Hybridbloodszak said:
Just wow the way everything in this show is neatly interwoven in each other is an accomplishment that very few shows can achieve. How elegant.

This week's episode just made my outlook on the previous 20 episodes even better than I already liked them. Fuwa Aika killing herself so Hakaze can meet Yoshino/Mahiro so they can kill the Tree of Genesis. As I said up top, Zetsuen ties everything together in such an elegant bow you can't help but just be in awe of it. Also the purposeful reminiscence of theatrical execution only adds to the overall experience of the plot and the character interactions that occur. After Aika only explained half of what she was talking about, I knew that Hakaze would try to stop her out of her feelings for Yoshino/Mahiro and what they went through after her death. God Blast of Tempest....

This... says everything i want to say. The fighting between these two mages was surprising. I found myself in such great astonishment. Great anime! really good 5/5
Apr 5, 2013 10:56 PM

Feb 2010
Aika is awesome. Excellent dialogue.
Apr 6, 2013 4:14 AM

Dec 2012
I like Aika way more than Hakaze. She's awesome, unlike Hakaze, who spends most of her time being annoying.
Apr 10, 2013 9:40 PM

Sep 2011
Dat battle, was intense.
Apr 13, 2013 12:55 PM

Oct 2011
CandyRat said:
I like Aika way more than Hakaze. She's awesome, unlike Hakaze, who spends most of her time being annoying.
OMG I SO AGREE TO THIS.
Seriously, Hakaze is just a typical main female character that just annoys the hell out of me. Especially when she freaked out every minute over Yoshino for like 5 episodes..

Aika just became my favorite character of the Anime. She is so different and unique, calm and collected. What an awesome episode. Glad she kicked Hakaze's ass.
Apr 15, 2013 12:18 AM
Mar 2009
Wow! Non-broken English? In my animu? Impossibru!

Wow, Aika was surprisingly calm throughout the entire conversation and fight, about how she would have to kill herself for Hakaze to have a reason to defeat the Tree of Genesis. Loving how her character was finally fleshed out instead of just being, the girl that was killed and drives all the events just because her adoptive brother was a siscon.

So the Mage of Exodus will always prevail over the Mage of Genesis? Then why is Hanemura so bloody weak? Aika said he was "incomplete" but the Kusaribe has offered a crapton to the Tree of Genesis, so his power should be crazy high anyways.

This episode...this show. Ahh, can't believe it's near the ending...

Also, what the hell was the song playing during Aika and Hakaze's fight? It sounded like Encounter from the OST, but extended and with different parts.
Apr 17, 2013 10:24 AM

Dec 2012
zbignew said:
Saw it coming from a mile away...

Same, well i did enjoy the episode a whole LOT and despite the fact it was sort of predictable , it was well executed.
Insert wise quote here
Apr 19, 2013 5:41 PM

Oct 2011
Wow, Aika's character is even better and more likable than I thought. She is intelligent and understandable. And while giving one's life for his friends isn't always the best choice, because you have to live for your friends' sake, sometimes it's inevitable. After the conversation with Hakaze, Aika knows that the future where Aika is dead is very dangerous, but Mahiro and Yoshino are safe and have the chance to safe the whole world.
Let's say Aika wouldn't accept her death and just stay alive.. nobody can say that Yoshino and Mahiro would survive everything that's going to happen (because the Samon and co would make the prodecure anyway). And for the sake of those two, Aika gives her life without complain. That's wonderful.

The Yoshino x Aika scene in the end was really cute. <3
I really can't believe he got Aika and Hakaze.. those two are wonderful and I hope it's going to end with Yoshino x Hakaze.
Apr 25, 2013 3:38 PM
Mar 2013
cant believe it... it crossed my mind she might suicide... kinda shocking
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Zetsuen no Tempest Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2013

398 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 3, 12:09 AM

Poll: » Zetsuen no Tempest Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2013

116 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 2, 10:47 PM

Poll: » Zetsuen no Tempest Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2013

278 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 2, 9:25 PM

Poll: » Zetsuen no Tempest Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 21, 2013

138 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 2, 8:15 PM

Poll: » Zetsuen no Tempest Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 7, 2013

175 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 2, 6:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.