Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jan 1, 2013 10:24 PM
Sep 2012
Hit & run....Son of a....
Feb 14, 2013 10:42 AM

Apr 2012
This show is really good. When I rate a show the voice acting for the dub doesn't usually play that big of a role since they're having to match they're voice to the movement of the characters mouth, but if the voice acting/actor is really bad I usually take off a couple of points. This however can be countered if the show makes up for that, that's how good this show is. I might end up rating this show pretty high unless of course the ending sucks.

What the heck is with those blank screens with numbers placed randomly in the episodes. Is it to mess with my mind? Is it to keep me guessing? Maybe this is part of the psychological genre.

They sure know how to keep the openings and endings from getting boring, but now they have to add a new genre 'mystery' who is the hit and run culprit?
I like Hentai, you like real life.
Instead of complaining about my tastes, be grateful you now don't have to compete against me.
Mar 4, 2013 1:01 AM
Oct 2011
God dammit. This was my 3rd time watching melodies and I still fucking bawwed like a child (keep in mind I watched this in 2008 while it was airing, so it's been some time).
Jun 27, 2013 1:02 AM
Jul 2018
Well, that wasn't really a surprise, but still.......why? It was really sudden. And seeing all bloody like that.......that's not ever cool. Very sad episode.
Jul 16, 2013 2:56 PM

Jul 2013
I really have a hard time with that song's English, should have skipped the vocals if they were gonna use it.
Jul 26, 2013 12:20 AM
May 2013
I haven't been this saddened by an anime since berserk. I can't imagine what the final episode will have after this episode. Everything else just seems like side story to me.
Sep 1, 2013 9:26 AM

Jan 2013
So it was already hinted that Yuuko was dead since memories but the actual event came very suddenly. I guess that's how death is; not something that is expected. I teared up a bit throughout the episode. One thing I have to mention is that Yuuko is very strong, especially given what she's been through. At least she was able to spend some time with the person she loved.

Every time I hear the "Can you hear it? The melody of truth" in Japanese I swear I get chills.
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Sep 7, 2013 8:15 PM

Nov 2012
HOLY SHIT! :((((((((((
so thats how it is end.. YUUUUKKKKOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
what an end :"(

I really need to watch next episode now!
Sep 24, 2013 1:26 PM
Aug 2011
Uhmm excuse me but is no one civil enough to call an ambulance/police/anyone?
I realize that hit and runs happen but Yuu just carries her away...

I know I shouldn't look for realism here but this will bug me for a while.
Nov 6, 2013 1:35 AM

Mar 2012
Wow really now? Instead of giving me feels her death just downright pissed me off. Came here expecting a really good anime but it just seems overrated.
Jan 5, 2014 3:55 AM

Jul 2013
What is with people getting hit by cars in this series?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 15, 2014 7:14 AM

Apr 2014
How can the life of yuuko be so sad...
I could cry such a sad life -.-
"Even villains have standards"
-Accelerator-

May 1, 2014 2:55 PM

Dec 2013
I have never thought about that her parents began suicide. That gives me a totally new view on her.

What a sad ending. I just started liking her
Jun 29, 2014 8:27 PM

Jun 2013
Wasn't a surprise that Yuuko died, I mean she always appeared as a ghost in season one. But Jesus man, how can you be so careless?! And the car driver kept going...
Aug 30, 2014 3:43 AM

Dec 2013
Wtf.. why?
Too much drama, memories was better. I got spoiled with Yuuko's death anyways before I started watching melodies anyways..
Oct 7, 2014 3:02 PM

Aug 2014
goddamn wow.

christmas, young miki+her past, the development of yuuko/himura's relationship, the date, the ball...

once i started putting two and two together..... i freaking knew it.

lost my shit when the insert song came on during the carrying scene

EF why you so cruel.
Mar 29, 2015 8:23 PM

Oct 2013
I can't even makes me sooo sad
[/quote]
Apr 6, 2015 3:38 PM

Aug 2014
Yuu and Yuuko now live together. Simple but happy life.

They met a girl who turns out to Mizuki. I think Mizuki is Yuuko child, it was not.

When starting a new life, they again received a trial of god. Yuuko hit by a car. Why should a car? In the city as lonely it why there are car?

The closer to the last episode. What will happen next?
May 7, 2015 7:49 AM

Sep 2014
What happened to Yuuko was very sad.

Young Mizuki was so cute though.
It was interesting that Kuze was the one who gave her that ribbon and that she had heard him play in the past.
It explains why she had such a strong reaction to hearing him play the violin.
Mirai, zura~!
Jun 14, 2015 12:40 PM

Jun 2012
Minagatachi said:
What is with people getting hit by cars in this series?

You know what they say about asian drivers...
Jul 20, 2015 4:16 PM

Aug 2009
just-away said:
Why does there have to be a depressing occurrence or reveal every episode? I'm glad I held this till after my finals exams because I would have been half dead trying to study last night.

sucks for me because my finals are next week...

Even if I totally saw it coming, still made me rage hard

hit and run guy needs to die a worse death than Amamiya sensei

The ED... if you can be doing that, that means it's already helpless?

For the love of God please make the next 2 eps not as depressing
Sep 25, 2015 8:32 PM

Oct 2013
Wow... I got a few tears in my eyes when the OP burst through. It was pretty obvious Yuuko was dead from her appearances in Memories, so her death wasn't really a surprise, yet it still shocked me when it happened so suddenly.

A very elegant, artful episode. I love how all of the characters are so intimately entwined. Kuze meeting young "Miki" and giving her her trademark hairstyle was a lovely touch.
ZadionSep 30, 2015 11:41 PM

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Sep 30, 2015 11:38 PM

Jan 2014
#beautiful #feels #almostcried
Oct 31, 2015 1:20 PM

Jul 2009
Their life together! They were so happy! I knew she was dead, but somehow the hope is the last to die right?! Such an unhappy incident =/
Nov 3, 2015 11:09 AM

Sep 2015
#IamCrying
#WHY???
#EvenThoughIAlreadyKnewSheWasDead

='(
Nov 13, 2015 11:30 AM

May 2015
I had to hold back my tears since I'm in public.

I refuse to believe Yuuko's dead until her meeting with Yuu in the church and her interaction with everyone is explained. Oh who am I kidding? I'm just in extreme denial.

As for Mizuki, my guess is that Kuze recognized her right away, even though Yuu didn't. Cute how she still wears the ribbon.
"It's a tragic misunderstanding that could have been easily avoided if he just finished his sentence in time!"

— Richard Watterson (The Amazing World of Gumball)
Dec 13, 2015 6:32 PM

Jan 2010
good episode...at last with my favorite characters...all good...morals and happiness and hope....and she dies

cuz f*** you that's why -_-

5/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Feb 11, 2016 4:39 PM

Aug 2015
well, that was actually really anticlimactic. why so cliche?
Feb 14, 2016 12:32 PM

Nov 2014
The moment Miki picked that ball, then Yu's face and music started playing... that was just too much.
JustAnotherShiroFeb 14, 2016 12:41 PM
Jun 7, 2016 8:39 PM

Dec 2008
All I want to know is, whose ball did Yuuko die to save? It just came out of nowhere, and after the accident nobody ever claimed it. It was still there when Yuu and Miki arrived at the scene of the accident. Must belong the restless spirit of a child who died at that corner, luring unsuspecting victims to their doom....
Jun 27, 2016 5:01 AM

Mar 2013
Well even though I already completed the Visual Novel version I cried in this episode. I don't know why I just couldn't hold my tears.

case649 said:
All I want to know is, whose ball did Yuuko die to save? It just came out of nowhere, and after the accident nobody ever claimed it. It was still there when Yuu and Miki arrived at the scene of the accident. Must belong the restless spirit of a child who died at that corner, luring unsuspecting victims to their doom....

It was supposed to be Miki's ball. Miki and Yuuko was playing together while waiting Yuu to come to the church. This is the Visual Novel version story, kinda different with the anime version. I hope you understand.
"Isn't Victini the cutest Pokemon of all time?"
Sep 21, 2016 7:20 PM

Aug 2015
I'm sure it was probably done better in the VN, but the accident felt so contrived and the aftermath felt anticlimactic.
Oct 4, 2016 2:46 PM

May 2015
hit and run on Christmas
her life is so tragic :((
Dec 18, 2016 3:31 AM

Mar 2015
NONSENSE!!! That accident was terrible writing. Forced death and I dont feel anything what happened in this show. Whoever made this story is pure awful.
That kind of writing only can fool kids, smh.

2/5
Aug 17, 2017 7:26 AM

Sep 2014
I should have known that something like this would happen, in season 1 I already had the impression she was an angel or dead, then Kuze spoiled it "you will never see her again". But it still hit me hard..

But it felt really forced, the VN version with Miki was better imo. But who cares, its nearly 10 years old.

The OST is really great, it carried the forced death for me.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Sep 11, 2017 1:20 PM
Dec 2010
Man, I really like this show, and I knew that at some point in this series they'd have to show Yuuko dying, but wow, what a terribly written way to die.

Random ball out of nowhere rolls onto the street and she immediately runs to get it. What is she, a 6-year old kid? No, she's a 16-year old teen that should be smart enough to look for any cars before going into the street. Hit-and-run? Sucks, but unfortunately happens. Now, not a single person around to see ANY of this happening? Not the person who's ball she tried to pick up? No people in neighboring houses hearing the sudden loud breaking? Nothing?

Just felt like the writer couldn't come up with a good way to 'kill her off' and just went with "Cliched 6-year old child death #23' or something. Lame.
Oct 9, 2017 3:13 AM
Nov 2014
Yeah... As others have already said they have changed the VN death scene.

I really cannot fathom why they had to change that. Was it too cruel? I find a meaningless death like the one in the anime to be even more so. Plus they already showed no mercy when they told Yuuko's past. Sure, it wasn't as explicit as in the VN, but I thought it was really well done and by no means softened.
Oh well... This ending kinda hurts a little the anime, but at least we'll always have the true ending in the VN, and everything else in the anime, even some made up scenes, are in my opinion good or at least decent enough to make an overall good adaptation. What a shame, the lame ending, though.
Nov 16, 2017 2:20 AM

Jul 2008
WAAAAAAHHH!!!! This is why I hate shows like this sometimes, never a happy end.
Mar 22, 2019 1:59 AM

May 2016
I can't believe she died by car... Now I can only curse who invented it T-T

and when that opening kicked in I couldn't hold it in anymore, damn I lost my hope of her being alive now, and Kuze is on the verge of dying as well. this series is only sadness.
Mar 30, 2020 2:07 AM

Aug 2017
Disliked. Anime ball in street means a guaranteed car wreck. I don't like this show
Mar 4, 2021 3:36 PM

Nov 2019
nooo truck-kun this is not an isekai!!

死神

What do you think are the most important things in life? Money, dreams, sympathy towards others...

Yes, they're all important things as well... But the most important thing is responsibility for your own actions.
- Yuichi
Aug 3, 2021 2:34 AM

Feb 2020
Oh, so this is what happened... Yuuko dying was expected but it was still painful to see, especially since this episode made me get very attached to her. I guess the reason she is still present is because she's become an angel ? That makes the story less tragic that way, but I hope she and Yuu will meet again, they both deserve it.
Also, the twist about Mizuki was great. I would've never thought she was related to Yuu and Yuuko and that it was Yuuko who taught her the song.
But poor girl had such a tragic past, Yuuko was right, she is very strong. You wouldn't guess she's carrying those wounds when you see this energetic girl.
One last thing, her first encounter with Kuze was adorable ! Kuze might be my favorite Ef character (even if his romance with Mizuki is questionable due to him being considerably older than her).
FafetteAug 11, 2021 2:55 PM
Dec 18, 2021 1:13 AM

Feb 2018
Damn life wasn't fair to her... Abused by her adopted brother...dealing with so many hardships.... And finally when she was free...when it was her time for true happiness......death knocks at her door. that death scene I still remember it...and she sings the song in broken voice...offfff......damn this series made me cry so much.
Sep 8, 2022 5:09 AM

May 2018
Ah yes of course, it isn't a tragedy unless main girl gets isekai'd to another world
Sep 18, 2022 4:31 PM

Jan 2013
Hit and run just as things seemed to go well, though not surprised she died (as I mentioned before) ... it still hurt to see her die like that.
And they even explained the "Angel going up and down the light" part, which fully explains her involvement in "Memories".
Also to know that Mizuki was in a family suicide attempt as the only survivor ... my god.
Mizuki already being connected to Yuu, Yuuko and even Kuze since she was a child.
Jun 9, 2023 10:22 AM

Jul 2016
Knew Yuko eventually became a ghost but didn't think it'd be due to getting isekai'd. Sad end to a miserable life.

And whoa Mizuki goes way further back with these older characters than I thought.
Nov 30, 2023 5:54 PM

Jan 2010
I just realized, sometimes watching ef feels like I'm experiencing a story penned by Kouji Seo. It's the genre of astronomical improbability, where the chances of something absurdly horrible happening increases with the amount of potential drama it can cause. The difference is that I actually care about what the characters are going through, as I can empathize with their past traumas, present fears, and uncertainties of the future. It's frustrating because I want everything to work out somehow, but damn is it difficult to get to that point.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » ef - a tale of melodies Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

angel999 - Nov 10, 2008

191 by lucio54 »»
Dec 18, 2023 7:40 PM

Poll: » ef - a tale of melodies Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

aidouca - Dec 22, 2008

257 by SenpaiMY92 »»
Dec 10, 2023 7:20 AM

Poll: » ef - a tale of melodies Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

slayer545-sama - Dec 16, 2008

87 by Shocked »»
Nov 30, 2023 5:54 PM

Poll: » ef - a tale of melodies Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

slayer545-sama - Dec 2, 2008

84 by Shocked »»
Nov 30, 2023 5:53 PM

Poll: » ef - a tale of melodies Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

slayer545-sama - Nov 24, 2008

89 by Shocked »»
Nov 30, 2023 5:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.