Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 24, 2013 5:38 PM

Jan 2010
dabazzinator said:
i actually disliked this episode. everything we've seen so far was flipped upside down. i was pissed off at michiko this whole episode, i just couldn't stand her selfishness and whorish acts.

i agree with selfish but not whorish
she just got caught up in his net

though, i did enjoy the episode, it had a nice mellow tone and i love the town on the lake setting
Apr 26, 2014 7:08 PM

Jan 2014
michiko was being such a dumbass agh she's so selfish that Russian woman should have slapped some sense into her I felt bad for her and the dude is a stupid player grr hatchin was way cooler than michiko this time
but I liked the slow pace of this episode it was refreshing
Jun 19, 2014 1:50 AM

Apr 2012
well that was a awkward ep...
Sep 21, 2014 7:56 PM
Mar 2012
1. That guy is not a "fag". Without getting into the morality of what he was doing, he's smooth as fuck.

2. Michiko's reaction was actually pretty realistic and was done well. She was conflicted, he "helped her" make her decision, etc. Again, like how it usually actually happens.

I like the adult-ness of this anime. A sleeper, only found out about it looking for Watanbe's other stuff. Promising so far, and I like anime that mix an overarching plot with occasional standalone episodes like this one.
Nov 3, 2014 11:26 PM

Aug 2013
Hah Hatchin called out on Michiko's affair and Michiko got mad. Guilty.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Dec 17, 2014 3:48 AM

Jun 2013
Welp, it's official, Michiko is a bitch. On the other hand, it shows how lonely Mitchiko is and as a character, knowing what she has been through, I think she's more 'human' than most characters I've known.

The directing in this episode was done beautifully. The atmosphere gets me and the music is awesome, but I still dislike the ED. It's so out of place.
May 15, 2015 11:37 AM

Aug 2012
That was too good. Didn't expect this episode.

superseiyan said:

he's smooth as fuck.

That's what I thought
Aug 2, 2015 3:00 PM

Sep 2012
What an episode
Nov 19, 2015 9:57 AM

Oct 2014
windy said:
I thought Michiko would smack the guy in the face. Weak, girl. :/
Dec 29, 2015 9:28 PM

Mar 2008
Damn, talk about condensation.

Michiko suddenly falls, her lovesickness bursting through. As always, she's cumbersome, selfish, and conflicted.

Meanwhile, Hatchin's angst seem to be her frustration at being ignored and her small adolescent troubles with the gang (a microcosm of the dog-eat-dog crimeworld M&H reside in), then turned full-throttle by seeing Hatchin 'betray' her - their quest, but also in showing her emotional weakness as human.
Hatchin's self-serving interest peeps through as she sends Hatchin off on errands again and again. Why does it matter that Hatchin stinks? Does it just annoy her, or does it remind of her own self?
There's no shampoo to shower with; no way to clean up the building dirt between them - the soil under the flowers.

Seems simple enough, but perhaps her feelings of inadequacy are stemming from her youth and anger at adult failures - or rather, the failings of the only adult she has to rely on.

Michiko allows herself to be swept up by Bruno the fisherman, telling herself she wants to be free - free of her troubles, her past, her search and doubts over Hiroshi.

Hatchin runs away, battles the bullies, and proves her 'manhood' - her trial. Michiko's confronted with her ugly reality, yet even Bruno's seemingly sage wife seems unsure of the affair - until she sees the lipstick? Or is it that she's enraged at the sight of it? Who is the fisherman in the end? She proclaims she is the one holding the end of the line - Michiko's just a stranded fish. In fact, she was there in the background from the very beginning when Bruno and M first met.

Hatchin takes the wager, her headstrong actions putting her life at risk. Who saves her? We don't see but a small shadow, but we presume it was the kids whose respect she'd just won, yet, was it someone else? The sudden blue seemingly so unnatural..

The clock chimes midnight, the illusion is dispelled for Michiko, she's passed out on the floor amongst her drinks. Was it for Hatchin or her own sorrows that she drank?
No boat for Hatchin, but she never wanted it anyway. She turns 10, her guardian unknowing, only the audience and the music also now knowing. What does she feel as she gazes on the sleeping Michiko?

And so many other details I've missed or left unmentioned.

A really beautiful episode where every moment spoke for itself.
Mar 29, 2016 9:05 PM

Feb 2016
This is why I love mal discussions, reading the comments I was a lot more impressed with the episode. In a way, the series is reflective and critical of the journey itself (why are we doing this), just like Champloo you being to truly cherish the journey itself and the travellers once you realise it's coming to an end, finding Hiroshi is just the icing on the cake.

To think that this journey could've ended here in this languid town with M&H going their separate ways.
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
May 20, 2016 10:50 PM

Jul 2013
Slow episode, but it was a nice way to introduce the new setting at least. Like the whole concept of traveling everywhere via boat.

Michiko probably doesn't actually like that guy, but he reminds her of Hiroshi so she entertained the idea as he might be able to provide a similar feeling Hiroshi did. But I think Hatchin snapped her out of that fantasy when she yelled at her. We all know Michiko is above that and can do way better!
Jul 9, 2016 9:05 PM

Jan 2013
Solid episode, got more interesting in the second half.
Don't no how Hatchin survived slowly floating to the surface after running out of breath.
Sep 21, 2016 7:43 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
windy said:
I thought Michiko would smack the guy in the face. Weak, girl. :/

I fouund it stupid too, she was so weak to that BS!
Bitch sure was in heat, the guy was soo ugly, what to like?
Sep 26, 2016 9:01 PM
Sep 2015
So who saved Hatchin?
Nov 15, 2016 10:55 AM

Jun 2013
I liked this episode, and it's understandable that Michiko gets a little lonely sometimes. What I don't like is how Michiko and Hatchin keep physically hurting each other, and not just in this episode. You could argue it's only cartoon violence, or that they're just minor slaps, but I still hope they'll realize at some point that it's not cool.

Ckan said:
The clock chimes midnight, the illusion is dispelled for Michiko, she's passed out on the floor amongst her drinks. Was it for Hatchin or her own sorrows that she drank?
No boat for Hatchin, but she never wanted it anyway. She turns 10, her guardian unknowing, only the audience and the music also now knowing. What does she feel as she gazes on the sleeping Michiko?

A really cool write up, made me appreciate the episode a little more!
LeeTailorNov 15, 2016 11:01 AM
Jan 13, 2017 5:57 AM
Apr 2016
This episode showed the different side of Michiko. it was something that was realistic. Woman sleeps with another woman's husband, it happens all the time. Shout out to Hatchin. Really loving her character.
Mar 16, 2018 9:46 AM

Jun 2009
Now this is more like it. I really dug this episode, really made Michiko feel like a more grounded and realistic character. Loved the scene where Hatchin saw Michiko and the dude kissing.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 16, 2018 10:10 PM

Mar 2012
this is so different from everything it's actually refreshing. the soundtrack in portuguese is so weird yet so cool to listen to...
and i thought this was a good episode. i don't like the guy, but michiko is only human and this kind of things happens. it was a slow episode that went nowhere but made the characters more real.

and well, happy birthday, hatchin!
May 3, 2019 3:05 AM

Jun 2016
Wow, that was an absolutely fantastic episode, a notch above the ones so far.
Sep 16, 2019 2:57 AM

Oct 2012
Michiko worst mom :(
I mean it's pretty obvious that guy only wants her once, after that he's going to throw away Michiko

Also I can't decide whether Hatchin is unluckiest girl or pretty lucky (in a way)
Especially because she got saved and actually got the reward from boys who took her stuffs

Happy 10th birthday Hatchin! xD
"Signature removed"
May 25, 2021 5:07 PM

Aug 2011
So far I'm loving their journey and the various emotions/decisions they make. The dude who said I love you to Michiko after their 3rd time meeting is suuuuch a red flag!!
desu desu binches
Dec 14, 2021 8:46 PM
Jul 2013
Ah yes, the slow episode. This is what I love about two cour anime, when the makers take time to broaden the world and develop characters outside the main story, life is not all about running and gun slinging.
As already mentioned, music was key this ep.
Aug 24, 2022 9:01 PM

Apr 2016
This was so melancholic maybe the fact she's getting close to Hiroshi it made her try looking to another way in case she end up disappointed even though she knew it was just a mere distraction.

Hatchin now grasping what her life with Michiko is.

I loved all the scenes with Anastacia.
Sep 15, 2022 11:45 PM

Sep 2020
This episode made me cringe multiple times lol.
Oct 4, 2023 7:38 AM
Des31

Oct 2020
Better for hatchin to search her father alone after seeing this episode
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Michiko to Hatchin Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

windy - Mar 22, 2009

242 by Perrin4869 »»
May 14, 8:50 AM

Poll: » Michiko to Hatchin Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 )

simo000 - Mar 14, 2009

56 by Perrin4869 »»
May 13, 5:03 AM

Poll: » Michiko to Hatchin Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

angel999 - Nov 12, 2008

104 by prozyne »»
Jan 30, 8:41 PM

Poll: » Michiko to Hatchin Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

angel999 - Oct 29, 2008

82 by prozyne »»
Jan 28, 5:38 AM

» music in this series

abyss_will - Jan 20, 2019

5 by abyss_will »»
Jan 22, 11:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.