Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Feb 9, 2013 5:05 AM
Mar 2010
symbv said:
Arukan said:
Oh... no Drama.
And about time.

Guess I'm the odd one again. The drama was what made the anime so good for me. If the rest of the episodes are gonna be like this one, I might drop this. Without the drama, it's your average slice of life.
phoenixaliaFeb 9, 2013 5:11 AM
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Feb 9, 2013 6:30 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
EndlessHell said:
I don't know about that... Being immature and lacking in common sense are both traits that all kind of teenagers have,
Feel the need to point out that teenagers by no means have a monopoly on being immature and lacking in common sense. ;)
CratexFeb 9, 2013 7:58 AM
Feb 9, 2013 8:55 AM
Mar 2010
Marisplague said:
Still not happy about moritani joining them :|

nor am I. She was forgiven waay too quickly. And her whole character has changed now. Not to mention she acts so carefree as if nothing happened.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Feb 9, 2013 8:56 AM

Mar 2011
EndlessHell said:
InfiniteRyvius said:
mora404 said:
InfiniteRyvius said:
mora404 said:
I never implied that you should be ok with forgiving Moritani... This is about the characters and their actions. I would not be ok with a person who beat up someone I cared for. I would hold a major grudge... but this is about Kotoura and how she handled the situation. Is it unrealistic.. yes. However I don't have esp (damn) and I didn't grow up in relative seclusion. I think before we say what is realistic and unrealistic we need to look at their point of view. She is only 15..

Being 15 does not make you a retard, even if you had a warped childhood.

Being 15 still means you are a kid and immature.. You are bound to make mistakes. It doesn't mean she is a "retard," more like her common sense is lacking.

She does lack lots of common sense, I'll give you that, she did manage to not connect "people are scared I might blurt out their secrets" and "maybe I should stop blurting out their secrets" for 10 odd years, eluding her best attempts to figure a way out of her predicament. It's still eluding her as well....

I can just about make myself accept Kotoura forgiving Moritani, though it sits incredibly uncomfortably with me, but I will not accept that she is so immature or lacking in common sense she couldn't work out she should restrain herself for 10 years. If she was that stupid I'm pretty sure she'd be clinically retarded.

I don't know about that... Being immature and lacking in common sense are both traits that all kind of teenagers have, I'm sure one or two of your friends on high school did something unbelievably stupid and immature.... Well, at least I know mine had... In kotoura's case, I believe that the same thing applies, only way worse since she couldn't learn the very basic of human adaptation skills(since I think she actually enjoy reading minds and blurting it out despite the consequences). This might have been a case of bad characterization or just a 'bad' character...

That aside, I find this show very enjoyable even with no drama involved. Though I would prefer a more serious show, given that the directing is quite good... 8/10 overall for me, definitely one of the top in the winter line-up.

Yes, often my friends have done very stupid and immature things, however you're making a mistake in comparing their stupid actions with Kotoura being unable to work through something that is well documented in biology as a learned response.

If a dog barks and you hit it, and this happens several times over an extended period, the dog will learn that barking in your presence will result in a sore head, and they, being a mammal gifted with a somewhat intelligent brain that can learn responses, will stop barking in your presence, unless of course they are stubborn.

You see, there is a difference between a one off stupid action and consistently not being able to work something out for 10 years. Putting aside for a moment that Kotoura should be able to work out with her head that if she stopped blurting stuff out people wouldn't hate her as much, you would expect that the capabilities of a dog were not beyond her. Even if I were to accept your questionable excuse that she's immature and silly so of course she is clinically retarded, as a mammal you'd still expect her to learn.
InfiniteFeb 9, 2013 10:01 AM
Feb 9, 2013 9:58 AM

Jan 2012
I still cringe because moritani is with them.. it seems so fake. She was forgiven just because she said "sorry" its pretty dumb. What she did was pretty major, her dojo people sent manabe to the freaking hospital and made koutaro remember that people around her get hurt. That kind of thing doesn't just get forgiven with " I am sorry".

Also the fact that moritani acts like nothing ever happened and tries to seem like they have been friends forever makes it even worse, its like the author is trying to foruce us to accept her as part of the group but I just can't do it.

This episode was boring to me besides the few moments with manabe's perverted thoughts and the scene with them sleeping. If it continues I am rating show 7/10 and dropping.

Feb 9, 2013 11:17 AM

Apr 2012
InfiniteRyvius said:
...Even if I were to accept your questionable excuse that she's immature and silly so of course she is clinically retarded, as a mammal you'd still expect her to learn.

Being sheltered really helps her avoid natural selection huh... Well, I'm not going to make an excuse about her being a psychic or a social outcast made her the way she is since it may be questionable to some...(including myself). But at least I would like to point out that the author really did a great job at portraying an 'interesting' story about mind-reading as realistic as possible, contrary to what you said over and over...

Is this the most 'realistic' anime out there? No.
But I can guarantee its more realistic than 90% of them.

Sure, the characters might not act as one would expect to in real life. But as far as human nature goes, I believe there's no such thing as right or wrong personality the same goes with realistic or unrealistic personality. There are only bad or good personality or likeable and unlikeable personality, in which both are very subjective.

Being that said, I think you might have missed my point regarding her 'lack of restraint', though its partly my fault since I should have spend more time writing less vaguely. As I stated before, i think she might be enjoying blurting out stuff despite knowing the consenquences and her being a 'bad' character(which I meant by stubborn, selfish, ignorant, immature, careless, etc....) may urge her to read minds and blurt things out especially during small talks in a friendly atmosphere where you suppose to have fun. Imagine a kid who were caught smoking, yeah he got punished, but there's no saying he would stop smoking even if he were caught repeatedly. Especially in front of his friends who doesn't really mind. So unless she made trouble by blurting out things that would obviously lead to said trouble, I think its too early to call her a retard.
EndlessHellFeb 9, 2013 1:13 PM
"Books are useless! I only ever read one book, “To Kill A Mockingbird,” and it gave me absolutely no insight on how to kill mockingbirds! Sure it taught me not to judge a man by the color of his skin…but what good does *that* do me?"
- Homer Simpsons,
Feb 9, 2013 11:40 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
While there is no *specific* evidence of this in the story so far (other than that she acts differently from how most of us might and many would expect), an interesting thing to consider is that being capable of mind reading implies that her mind works very differently from everybody else. In that regard, consider the character Raymond, an autistic savant, portrayed by Dustin Hoffman in the movie Rain Man. For all practical purposes such people are unable to function normally in society because of sometimes sever limitations in their social interactions but have other mental functions that are simply beyond the powers of most people.

Bringing some personal experience into this mix, as a graduate student in physics and during the time I worked at NASA Goddard Space Flight center I ran into a lot of VERY bright people. A handful of them, however, simply were not people you'd want to spend any amount of time with, their social skills being close to non-existent (a couple apparently either didn't know about bathing or had never discovered deodorant, making it that much more difficult to work with them).

I don't want to say that Kotoura "has X and therefor lacks Y", but it might be worth considering that maybe her brain is simply wired differently from most other people and we can't assume she will think about things the same way "normal" people would. She IS different.
Feb 9, 2013 11:41 AM

May 2009
MOri! - that was good. :))

But this show seems to take the stereotypical high school event role again. And what's with the 3 rolling-crash repeats? And all those typical bad anime reactions + moments?

Starting to get lame.. I hope the drama side picks up. The switch over from a soul-killing event to a happy bubbly kid is just.. LOUD..and I'm not even asking for realistic (I stopped that the moment the ESP group gathered) and her trust is too easily switching sides.

InfiniteRyvius said:

You see, there is a difference between a one off stupid action and consistently not being able to work something out for 10 years. Putting aside for a moment that Kotoura should be able to work out with her head that if she stopped blurting stuff out people wouldn't hate her as much, you would expect that the capabilities of a dog were not beyond her. Even if I were to accept your questionable excuse that she's immature and silly so of course she is clinically retarded, as a mammal you'd still expect her to learn.

:)))))) Aaahahaa! I totally second that.
I wasn't bullied as such, but I've been paranoid and pessimistic.. basically having skewed perceptions of the world through which I alienated myself and put myself through an itsy bit of "trauma". But I can tell you, ESP or not, a 15 year old definitely can have good common sense and maturity. Emotional maturity and trust issues for a traumatized little lady, definitely.
Even I was annoyed at Kotoura not consciously controlling it, or finding a way that would help her cope. She's ridiculous It's bad characterization (trauma is a deep rooted affect), or, as you put it, she's clinically retarded. :)))

This show is trying to be two extremes, which it could have done maybe, but JUST is not able to pull it off..
I wonder if I'll drop it after a few more eps. O.o
I've rated it 6, while thinking of 5..
_____ _ _ ______

Within pain, there is desire.

_____ _ _ ______
Feb 10, 2013 12:34 AM
Oct 2011
For some reason, everything felt really forced and retarded, it felt as if they were just animating panel to panel from the manga, which is a 4-koma, nothing really felt natural, and the jokes got repetitive and boring as the episode went by, especially Kotoura rolling on the floor.

Another thing is that new girl, while I didn't mind last episode and them forgiving her, I really don't like her and she's just totally unnecessary as a MC. Just why did she become a main character in the first place?

Well, hopefully the show will redeem itself in the next episodes.
Feb 10, 2013 1:26 AM

Oct 2009
rupok93 said:

This episode was boring to me besides the few moments with manabe's perverted thoughts and the scene with them sleeping. If it continues I am rating show 7/10 and dropping.

You are too kind.

Cratex said:
While there is no *specific* evidence of this in the story so far (other than that she acts differently from how most of us might and many would expect), an interesting thing to consider is that being capable of mind reading implies that her mind works very differently from everybody else. In that regard, consider the character Raymond, an autistic savant, portrayed by Dustin Hoffman in the movie Rain Man. For all practical purposes such people are unable to function normally in society because of sometimes sever limitations in their social interactions but have other mental functions that are simply beyond the powers of most people.

It is the author (or the director) mistake that they could not communicate this concept of characters with the audience. The gap in the way audience feels, and how the author feels about Kotoura is to be blamed for this.
One of the most important parts of a story is characterization, and the task to deliver these concepts to the audience could influence how well the story is accepted by the viewer. Thus, one may say that a character is 'bad' or 'unnatural' because they can't fit the concept into the story.

As some has mentioned, Kotoura probably an exception, but the case with Mori it is totally unnatural. Even Manabe can point that out.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Feb 10, 2013 2:12 AM

Sep 2012
phoenixalia said:
symbv said:
Arukan said:
Oh... no Drama.
And about time.
Guess I'm the odd one again. The drama was what made the anime so good for me. If the rest of the episodes are gonna be like this one, I might drop this. Without the drama, it's your average slice of life.
I said right from the ep.1 discussion that I fear backlash from watchers when they found out what Kotoura-san is about. People hyped it too much for its drama and then bashed it for not having enough of it in later episodes. I guess I am amply proven right by what I see in the discussion here.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Feb 10, 2013 2:13 AM

Sep 2012
Candor said:
For some reason, everything felt really forced and retarded, it felt as if they were just animating panel to panel from the manga, which is a 4-koma, nothing really felt natural, and the jokes got repetitive and boring as the episode went by, especially Kotoura rolling on the floor.
Well if they had really animated panel to panel from the manga, I would say that you should see no repeated rolling on the floor.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Feb 10, 2013 4:34 AM

Mar 2011
EndlessHell said:
InfiniteRyvius said:
...Even if I were to accept your questionable excuse that she's immature and silly so of course she is clinically retarded, as a mammal you'd still expect her to learn.

Being sheltered really helps her avoid natural selection huh... Well, I'm not going to make an excuse about her being a psychic or a social outcast made her the way she is since it may be questionable to some...(including myself). But at least I would like to point out that the author really did a great job at portraying an 'interesting' story about mind-reading as realistic as possible, contrary to what you said over and over...

Is this the most 'realistic' anime out there? No.
But I can guarantee its more realistic than 90% of them.

Sure, the characters might not act as one would expect to in real life. But as far as human nature goes, I believe there's no such thing as right or wrong personality the same goes with realistic or unrealistic personality. There are only bad or good personality or likable and unlikable personality, in which both are very subjective.

Being that said, I think you might have missed my point regarding her 'lack of restraint', though its partly my fault since I should have spend more time writing less vaguely. As I stated before, i think she might be enjoying blurting out stuff despite knowing the consequences and her being a 'bad' character(which I meant by stubborn, selfish, ignorant, immature, careless, etc....) may urge her to read minds and blurt things out especially during small talks in a friendly atmosphere where you suppose to have fun. Imagine a kid who were caught smoking, yeah he got punished, but there's no saying he would stop smoking even if he were caught repeatedly. Especially in front of his friends who doesn't really mind. So unless she made trouble by blurting out things that would obviously lead to said trouble, I think its too early to call her a retard.

Natural selection you say? I'm not sure if that was a joke or a blase way to refute the instincts that every animal has, but you've quite clearly got something wrong, unless of course you were joking. Also, it's not as realistic as possible, if it was then I wouldn't have any complaints would I? It's not the most realistic it could be. So contrary to what you said, I will reaffirm that in fact this lacks realism.

Realistic than 90% of anime out there? That may or may not be true, but that's not the point. Some anime do not need to be realistic, i.e. comedies, anime that aren't supposed to be taken entirely seriously, and that's fine, because they are not asking you to take it seriously. Kotoura-san does ask, no, it tells you to take it seriously during the drama scenes. That's why this isn't very good, because despite the fact it's plot holes a dozen, it's still arrogantly telling you during the drama you should totally take it seriously.

There are plenty of unrealistic personalities, to suggest that there aren't is... foolish? Are you in fact lying to yourself? So if someone was a selfish bastard who wanted the world to burn, then decided he wanted world peace and became a Mormon, you wouldn't find that unrealistic? Not at all?

To your last point on how unless she made trouble by blurting things out she wouldn't restrain herself, here's a quote from earlier:

InfiniteRyvius said:
True, it's not as if anyone has ever got angry at Kotoura because she exposed their secrets I suppose. Because like, can you imagine if everyone including her parents got angry at her and ostracized her, leading her to have a lonely existence? God, that would be horrible, thank god that didn't happen!

Oh wait.
Feb 10, 2013 4:46 AM

Sep 2012
InfiniteRyvius said:
Some anime do not need to be realistic, i.e. comedies, anime that aren't supposed to be taken entirely seriously, and that's fine, because they are not asking you to take it seriously. Kotoura-san does ask, no, it tells you to take it seriously during the drama scenes.
How much time are you spending on trying to refute all the various people who do not agree with your view on Kotoura-san? Actually you have answered your question yourself. The scene you keep harping on is a comedy scene, and should be taken as such. Are we saying that a comedy cannot be based on people with dramatic background? The drama scenes are there to define the characters for us, and I do not see how then it means we should not take comedy as comedy but try to mix in the seriousness of the drama scene. From what I see, as soon as you go serious about what is supposed to be taken as comedy, you lose out the chance of enjoying the comedy. And this is what happens here.
symbvFeb 10, 2013 4:51 AM

Feb 10, 2013 4:49 AM
Jul 2012
I don't get the joke but I still LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rollin' On the Floor Fappin' lol
Signature removed. See your messages for more information.
Feb 10, 2013 7:06 AM

Apr 2012
InfiniteRyvius said:
Natural selection you say? I'm not sure if that was a joke or a blase way to refute the instincts that every animal has, but you've quite clearly got something wrong, unless of course you were joking.

The natural selection thing was a joke, I was referring to your view of kotoura being a retard. This was also supposed to imply that I find your view acceptable, since there are cases in 3rd world countries that children with mental abnormality(i.e: retardation) often died in relatively young age.

InfiniteRyvius said:
Also, it's not as realistic as possible, if it was then I wouldn't have any complaints would I? It's the most realistic it could be. So contrary to what you said, I will reaffirm that in fact this lacks realism.

Alright I'll stop with the realism discussions, I don't think think I can convince you otherwise...
Let's leave it with you find it unrealistic, while I find it realistic, since this is a matter of subjectivity. And coming from a guy who finds the Simpsons as a realistic show, I don't think my views on realism is similar to that of the general public...

InfiniteRyvius said:
Kotoura-san does ask, no, it tells you to take it seriously during the drama scenes. That's why this isn't very good, because despite the fact it's plot holes a dozen, it's still arrogantly telling you during the drama you should totally take it seriously.

I don't know about that, to me they did a quite good job with making this show dramatic with funny moments, maybe watching 250+ episodes of gintama did something to my tolerance on this kind of animes..

InfiniteRyvius said:
To your last point on how unless she made trouble by blurting things out she wouldn't restrain herself, here's a quote from earlier:

InfiniteRyvius said:
True, it's not as if anyone has ever got angry at Kotoura because she exposed their secrets I suppose. Because like, can you imagine if everyone including her parents got angry at her and ostracized her, leading her to have a lonely existence? God, that would be horrible, thank god that didn't happen!

Oh wait.

I doubt she or anyone in that age knows the obvious consequences that exposing her parents' "secrets" leads to such incident. If she enjoyed blurting out people minds(as I hypothesized before) then I couldn't see that this incident could make her a retard. Though I don't know about the later incidents since close to no details were given...

If there was something that bothers me in this series is that why couldn't all the doctors, priests , or psychiatrists(I think she went to one, didn't really remember though...) know whats going on with her, much at least provide a solution to her mind-reading problems when her friends at high school could.
"Books are useless! I only ever read one book, “To Kill A Mockingbird,” and it gave me absolutely no insight on how to kill mockingbirds! Sure it taught me not to judge a man by the color of his skin…but what good does *that* do me?"
- Homer Simpsons,
Feb 10, 2013 7:42 AM

Jan 2013
phoenixalia said:
symbv said:
Arukan said:
Oh... no Drama.
And about time.

Kotoura-san is listed as: comedy, romance, school... I am sure there wil be some more drama as we go on but ultimately it's a comedy.
"What color do you want to be?" -Shiina Mashiro
Feb 10, 2013 8:08 AM

Dec 2011
That was the funniest episode yet. Not the best, mind.

Loved that start, though it got boring with repetition, not better.

So martial arts turns into psychic power now?

Daichi has a very strange snore, that sounds a bit like a fly.

Oh and I'm now laughing every time I think the word "mori"
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Feb 10, 2013 3:48 PM

Jan 2013
At first I didn't laugh at the mori picture, but then the second time i saw it, it actually made me laugh :))
Mori, Mori, Mori...
Feb 10, 2013 4:04 PM

Oct 2009
FailAtLife said:
I don't get the joke but I still LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rollin' On the Floor Fappin' lol

Man, that would be a mess, I don't even...
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Feb 10, 2013 5:01 PM

Mar 2011
EndlessHell said:
InfiniteRyvius said:
Also, it's not as realistic as possible, if it was then I wouldn't have any complaints would I? It's the most realistic it could be. So contrary to what you said, I will reaffirm that in fact this lacks realism.

Alright I'll stop with the realism discussions, I don't think think I can convince you otherwise...
Let's leave it with you find it unrealistic, while I find it realistic, since this is a matter of subjectivity. And coming from a guy who finds the Simpsons as a realistic show, I don't think my views on realism is similar to that of the general public...

So you've given up on the argument then, okay, so be it. As a final word though, realism is not entirely subjective, after all we can tell a lot of what is real from what is fake. Things like logic also apply, and logic is an objective framework.

EndlessHell said:
InfiniteRyvius said:
Kotoura-san does ask, no, it tells you to take it seriously during the drama scenes. That's why this isn't very good, because despite the fact it's plot holes a dozen, it's still arrogantly telling you during the drama you should totally take it seriously.

I don't know about that, to me they did a quite good job with making this show dramatic with funny moments, maybe watching 250+ episodes of gintama did something to my tolerance on this kind of anime..

I have watched all of Gintama, and recently. Now, Gintama is a slightly more complex series to talk about, but here's the general gist: It has many many plot points, like for example characters are much stronger than IRL, everyone still fights with swords etc. This set up is highly illogical, however it doesn't just throw in random shit when it comes to the fight scenes, everything that happens fits in with the logic set up by the "boundary conditions" i.e. the plot points. Also, you are not supposed to take the setting entirely seriously, and the comedy is integrated into the serious moments. The show is slightly pretentious when it goes off on one of the speeches, but everything that's meant to be taken very seriously works, the only things that are incredibly illogical are things that are meant to be stupid, like the Elizabeth Star wars parody thing arc, which was really stupid despite being semi-serious.

EndlessHell said:
InfiniteRyvius said:

InfiniteRyvius said:

Oh wait.

I doubt she or anyone in that age knows the obvious consequences that exposing her parents' "secrets" leads to such incident. If she enjoyed blurting out people minds(as I hypothesized before) then I couldn't see that this incident could make her a retard. Though I don't know about the later incidents since close to no details were given...

Watch the first episode again. When Kotoura blurts out stuff in the flashbacks, does it look like she revealed that her friend liked the boy because she liked revealing secrets, or because she read their minds and blurted out thinking that it would be great since they both liked each other. As people have said before Kotoura is a kind human being, do you really think she gets joy simply out of exposing? She would just have to be malicious to continue that if it led to alienation from all her friends and family. If what you're saying is true, she would really really really enjoy exposing secrets, so much in fact that I wonder why she would be bothered about being lonely later on.

EndlessHell said:
If there was something that bothers me in this series is that why couldn't all the doctors, priests , or psychiatrists(I think she went to one, didn't really remember though...) know whats going on with her, much at least provide a solution to her mind-reading problems when her friends at high school could.

It's a plot contrivance, i.e. poor writing. You get that a lot in this show.

symbv said:
How much time are you spending on trying to refute all the various people who do not agree with your view on Kotoura-san? Actually you have answered your question yourself. The scene you keep harping on is a comedy scene, and should be taken as such. Are we saying that a comedy cannot be based on people with dramatic background? The drama scenes are there to define the characters for us, and I do not see how then it means we should not take comedy as comedy but try to mix in the seriousness of the drama scene. From what I see, as soon as you go serious about what is supposed to be taken as comedy, you lose out the chance of enjoying the comedy. And this is what happens here.

About an hour today. I'm fully committed/bored. Yes, well perceived, it is a comedy scene, however the behaviour she shows in that scene happens in other more serious scenes too, besides, just because it's a comedy scene doesn't mean anything goes. If Manabe suddenly became a completely different character for the scene that wouldn't be alright would it? Part of the comedy is that the characters act like how you would imagine them to these weird/amusing situations, if Kotoura suddenly maid a joke that was legitimately funny at Mori's expense to her face in a mean fashion, I'm not convinced that you'd actually find it funny because she'd be acting out of character.

I was picking that moment in the comedy to make a general note of a theme that's been going through, which is that unless the plot tells her otherwise in order to force a plot change (like when she didn't blurt out how Mori had ordered people to beat Manabe up, or when she was horrified by the president's memories) she has continued to blurt out people's thoughts without any thought of the consequences, despite the fact that this behaviour is what caused her to live such a horrible and lonely life in the first place.

EDIT: I also don't feel like I'm missing out on the humour because it's not particularly funny.
InfiniteFeb 10, 2013 5:19 PM
Feb 10, 2013 5:03 PM

Sep 2012
I don't really like this kind of humour, too repetitive for me. I didn't really like all the drama, but i found it more entertaining that whatever they were trying to do in this episode.
Feb 10, 2013 5:22 PM

Jan 2013
InfiniteRyvius said:
EndlessHell said:
InfiniteRyvius said:

EDIT: I also don't feel like I'm missing out on the humour because it's not particularly funny.

Yikes... doesn't sound like either of you are enjoying this anime very much.
Feb 11, 2013 2:17 AM

Apr 2012
mora404 said:
InfiniteRyvius said:
EndlessHell said:
InfiniteRyvius said:

Yikes... doesn't sound like either of you are enjoying this anime very much.

That's not true, I am enjoying this series more than any other series this winter and I'm watching more than 10 series this season..... Still that doesn't make it has no faults or flaws....

Well, maybe I should have pointed out what I like about kotoura-san more so people won't have the wrong idea(not that it really matter though....).

InfiniteRyvius said:
Watch the first episode again. When Kotoura blurts out stuff in the flashbacks, does it look like she revealed that her friend liked the boy because she liked revealing secrets, or because she read their minds and blurted out thinking that it would be great since they both liked each other.

Revealing something out of kind intention or being kind in anyway doesn't make her someone who don't have interest on exposing stuff... I mean she could be both kind-hearted and careless kid.

InfiniteRyvius said:
As people have said before Kotoura is a kind human being, do you really think she gets joy simply out of exposing? She would just have to be malicious to continue that if it led to alienation from all her friends and family. If what you're saying is true, she would really really really enjoy exposing secrets, so much in fact that I wonder why she would be bothered about being lonely later on.

To be honest, I actually believe she at least enjoys using her power to a certain degree(maybe her childhood isn't all black and sadness, maybe she got praised for her power at times... But this is completely a wild guess, so I doubt this is true). That's what come to me when I'm watching this show..... Oh and I don't think that she were bothered at being lonely, she seems to have accepted it and starts distancing herself from others, that is until our MC came...
- Homer Simpsons,
Feb 11, 2013 1:16 PM

Jan 2013
EndlessHell said:
If there was something that bothers me in this series is that why couldn't all the doctors, priests , or psychiatrists(I think she went to one, didn't really remember though...) know whats going on with her, much at least provide a solution to her mind-reading problems when her friends at high school could

Kotoura's mom took her to three doctors and one priest. They acted like she was a freak of nature. In the first episode Kotoura actually says to Manabe that she has a problem blurting out people's thoughts. Also the friends she has who can deal with her mind-reading are into ESP.
Feb 12, 2013 12:27 AM

Apr 2012
mora404 said:
...Also the friends she has who can deal with her mind-reading are into ESP.

Yeah that feels right, and I believe the presence of love and friendship also affect the mixture that led to the 'solution' to her problem which may or may not worked... But that doesn't rule out the fact that the doctors know what's going on with her when her classmates does...(note that the priest is actually into Esp). Even if the doctors were all so skeptical they wouldn't believe in the slightest chance of mind-reading, they would at least provide her a temporary solution(something along the lines of drugs, mental rehab, etc...) or at least took interest on her instead of ignoring or kicking them out...
- Homer Simpsons,
Feb 12, 2013 6:07 AM

May 2012
Cant....Stop....Laughing.....
HAHAHAHAHAHA
Mori mori!!
Feb 12, 2013 8:32 AM

Jul 2008
He ate the shrimp's tale.

Feb 12, 2013 8:59 AM

Jan 2013
EndlessHell said:
mora404 said:
...Also the friends she has who can deal with her mind-reading are into ESP.

Yeah that feels right, and I believe the presence of love and friendship also affect the mixture that led to the 'solution' to her problem which may or may not worked... But that doesn't rule out the fact that the doctors know what's going on with her when her classmates does...(note that the priest is actually into Esp). Even if the doctors were all so skeptical they wouldn't believe in the slightest chance of mind-reading, they would at least provide her a temporary solution(something along the lines of drugs, mental rehab, etc...) or at least took interest on her instead of ignoring or kicking them out...

They didn't seem like very good doctors. They seemed more afraid of her... Even angry that she was seeking their help. It could be a cultural reason that they were against caring for her esp issue?If I was her mom I would have hunted for a specialist who could help. Sadly most people are afraid of things they don't understand.
Feb 12, 2013 12:35 PM
Nov 2012
The infamous beach episode next, bring it on!

MORI! MORI!
Feb 12, 2013 2:55 PM

Mar 2008
LOL, InfiniteRyvius, are you.. erm... an M? just, you know, curious xD
Feb 12, 2013 6:54 PM

Mar 2011
Break from the drama?
Funny episode, Mori style flyer. I should buy that XD
Feb 13, 2013 12:05 AM

Jun 2012
Reminder that she lied about being raped/molested, got manabe stabbed, and now you're supposed to pretend everything is daijoubu.

Feb 13, 2013 12:28 AM

Mar 2011
soulelle said:
LOL, InfiniteRyvius, are you.. erm... an M? just, you know, curious xD

No, I just like complaining, a lot.
Feb 13, 2013 2:03 AM
Jun 2008
Just came back from vacation and wow.... the argue still continue =_-

mora404 said:

They didn't seem like very good doctors. They seemed more afraid of her... Even angry that she was seeking their help. It could be a cultural reason that they were against caring for her esp issue?If I was her mom I would have hunted for a specialist who could help. Sadly most people are afraid of things they don't understand.
Kotoura's mom actually just want to prove her child was not ESP and she was desperate of curing her "disease"...
I don't think such "disease" can be cure and the doctors are just fed up with her mom's persistence .
Her mom should wake up and face the fact >_>"
Feb 13, 2013 3:25 AM

Sep 2008
I can't believe you people are arguing about the realism of the show. If this show was actually realistic, Kotoura would be held in a special government facility having dodgy scientists probing her brain 24/7. You don't see this happening so it's obvious the show isn't trying to be completely realistic.
Feb 13, 2013 7:28 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
5layer said:
I can't believe you people are arguing about the realism of the show. If this show was actually realistic, Kotoura would be held in a special government facility having dodgy scientists probing her brain 24/7. You don't see this happening so it's obvious the show isn't trying to be completely realistic.
Firestarter
Feb 13, 2013 5:10 PM

Nov 2007
I dunno, I actually felt bad for Moritani :c

Feb 14, 2013 6:37 AM

Apr 2009
I fear the anime is going downhill from this episode on....but I hope the series will prove me wrong, since I really loved the first 4 episodes.
ChinkyuFeb 15, 2013 7:30 AM
Feb 14, 2013 11:12 AM
Feb 2012
Mori? Mori!
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Feb 17, 2013 1:07 PM

Jan 2013
Kotoura kawaii <33 ^^ She's one of my best anime characters
Feb 17, 2013 4:02 PM
Sep 2009
Even though Moritanni got accepted it looks like she is getting the shortest end of the stick. Kinda makes up for the lack of rage last week.
Feb 22, 2013 10:01 PM

Jun 2011
Not fond with the cliche "everybody cheering for the MC" scene. Why the jokish voice when Manabe gave Kotoura the "mori" poster, too weird to my liking. Didn't Kotoura and Moritani felt a little OOC in this episode? Kotoura rolling on the floor was cute, but it gets old fast if they use it 3 times in an episode.. -.-
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Mar 13, 2013 9:36 AM

Jan 2011
This episode was kinda boring, I laughed a couple of times but I was mainly facepalming myself throughout the episode. This is starting to become generic and boring already, I may even drop this if it keeps going like this.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Mar 18, 2013 1:02 AM

Nov 2008
I think it's weird how Moritani have blended into the group so easily. Wouldn't it be awkward when there's sort of a love triangle between Kotoura, Manabe and Moritani?
Apr 5, 2013 12:52 PM
Dec 2012
is so damn hilarios i love this anime .i love that boy with his pervert imagination.
Apr 6, 2013 12:01 PM

Oct 2012
Exciting! So much happened this ep, almost felt like twice as long :)

School games, new ED! Mori, mori, mori!
Apr 24, 2013 9:23 AM

Jan 2012

MORI PUNCH!!!!!!!!!!! xD

~~~~

That kotoura-sleeping-picture xD

Mori Mori! xD

Apr 28, 2013 12:20 PM

Sep 2011
LOL that was really enjoyable!
Jul 24, 2013 3:26 PM

Sep 2010
Mori mori mori mori!
"If you can eliminate all the other choices, the remaining choice, no matter how improbable, it is the answer."- Sherlock Holmes
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bastek66 - Jan 17, 2013

300 by TecknicalWarrior »»
Apr 30, 10:29 AM

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

GotenSakurauchi - Jan 10, 2013

457 by TecknicalWarrior »»
Apr 30, 9:50 AM

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2013

152 by _untitled »»
Apr 29, 7:29 AM

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 31, 2013

210 by _untitled »»
Mar 25, 9:06 AM

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2013

272 by SereniTeaHive »»
Mar 22, 4:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.