Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 3, 2008 4:03 PM
May 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I wonder why no one made a discussion for this episode yet...It's a GREAT episode... whatever, I'll just do it then.

Dec 3, 2008 4:05 PM

Jan 2008
wow - I did not see that one coming - increadible gambit by Toua. I really hope he punishes that awful club-owner soon.
~five exclamation marks is the sure sign of an insane mind~
Dec 3, 2008 7:42 PM

Sep 2007
I'd be enjoying this more if they'd make it a little more believable. Catching up to 16 runs is overkill - should have been a reasonable number, like 5 or 6.

Despite that, it was my favorite episode so far. Toua putting pressure on the other team to speed up the game was cool. Loved the break-the-rules competition at the beginning. :-P
Dec 3, 2008 7:48 PM

Apr 2008
naikou said:
believable.

Director said:
Sato Yuzo

I see the problem here.
Dec 3, 2008 7:52 PM

Sep 2007
hahah, maybe so, but I didn't have a problem with Akagi or Kaiji. Maybe I'm just getting tired of his style?
Dec 3, 2008 8:20 PM

Aug 2007
So awsome..
Dec 3, 2008 8:33 PM

Apr 2008
naikou said:
hahah, maybe so, but I didn't have a problem with Akagi or Kaiji. Maybe I'm just getting tired of his style?

Well, with the source material and his direction, Akagi turned from what could have been actually about mahjong to something far more. In the end, it was about corrupting mahjong, and even more about sitting.

One Outs is kind of like that. This isn't about baseball or realism, it's about Toua destroying what we think baseball is.
Dec 3, 2008 8:39 PM

Sep 2007
That would make sense, as I don't have the slightest inkling of how to play mahjong (in fact, I'm probably worse for watching Akagi. My knowledge of mahjong is now in the negatives...). At least I know the rules to baseball - not much more than that, but I can still see how ridiculous this is. It makes me wonder if baseball fanatics can watch this show without cringing at the blatant rape of their sport. XD
Dec 3, 2008 8:42 PM

Apr 2008
So far I've read that everything in the show is possible, though not that it ever actually happens. Even the "rising fastball" exists, but as an optical illusion.

Yeaah, Akagi is bad for learning mahjong aside from what tiles/hands are. XD
Dec 3, 2008 8:46 PM

Nov 2007
Akagi annoyed me dearly when they kept using cheats like switching tiles..

My knowledge of baseball is mediocre at best. I've 'learn' quite a bit from watching this. I don't think the anime is ruining the image of baseball. Instead of blatantly cheating, Toua is more like using loopholes, which I think is perfectly valid.
Dec 3, 2008 10:28 PM

Sep 2008
evirob said:
Akagi annoyed me dearly when they kept using cheats like switching tiles..

My knowledge of baseball is mediocre at best. I've 'learn' quite a bit from watching this. I don't think the anime is ruining the image of baseball. Instead of blatantly cheating, Toua is more like using loopholes, which I think is perfectly valid.

Great episode and i agree with you, Toua is just taking advantage of loopholes in the rules.

And besides that Toua rules, so nothing else matters :D
Dec 3, 2008 10:33 PM
Oct 2008
Fantastic episode love all the ways they try to defeat each others plans, wonderfully done and cant wait to see how the next episode is going to go and how he is going to get out of paying all that money to him
Dec 3, 2008 11:21 PM

Jul 2008
As a baseball fan, some of the things are way too ridiculous. But One Outs is showing baseball in an unpredictable way, whereas the game itself is pretty predictable. Strategy is pretty much always known by the opposition. Toua is the man, and from what I've seen one of the most dominant men in anime, his skills are unrivaled and it showed in this episode as well with the battle of wits and his ability to incite emotions from people, he's a psychology and sociology genius.

Back to the desecration of baseball moments - how is it possible to expect a pitcher to throw back to back to back complete games? A perfect game his first start? An eight-man defense? But hey its fictional and this is what makes One Outs great.
Dec 3, 2008 11:25 PM
May 2007
If this game was real, I hope that I was there to witness it. I didn't know that there was a rule like that in baseball (or at least in JAPANESE baseball). I know that it's not allowed for a pitcher to pitch back to back games or in consecutive innings.

But this show is really interesting. It's becoming my favorite anime this season.
Dec 4, 2008 10:32 AM

May 2008
The cheating battle at the beginning of the episode was awesome enough, but then it goes on to give us the entertainment of watching the Mariners self-destruct. Plus some more BROOKLYN RAGE~! Who knew a show about baseball would be one of my favorites of 2008? I sure didn't.
Dec 4, 2008 1:07 PM
Jun 2007
Absolutely_Steve said:
The cheating battle at the beginning of the episode was awesome enough, but then it goes on to give us the entertainment of watching the Mariners self-destruct. Plus some more BROOKLYN RAGE~! Who knew a show about baseball would be one of my favorites of 2008? I sure didn't.

Couldn't have said it any better. Toua still manages to surprise after each successive episode.
Dec 4, 2008 1:45 PM

Aug 2008
For me this was the first entertaining episode of One Outs...first of all because I learned a few things about the sport...balks, switching sides, and the like, and just the idea of it being a competition on who could break the most rules without being called out for stalling the game. It was all going smoothly until the stupid chains metaphor, but still a good episode.
Dec 4, 2008 4:36 PM
Oct 2008
yakyuu-addict said:
As a baseball fan, some of the things are way too ridiculous. But One Outs is showing baseball in an unpredictable way, whereas the game itself is pretty predictable. Strategy is pretty much always known by the opposition. Toua is the man, and from what I've seen one of the most dominant men in anime, his skills are unrivaled and it showed in this episode as well with the battle of wits and his ability to incite emotions from people, he's a psychology and sociology genius.

I hope you realize most anime run off this principle. It's either the story of how someone weak becomes someone strong, or someone strong fighting someone equally strong.

One Outs happens to be a strong vs equally strong anime. In these types, you normally get prodigies that don't come along often (Toua, Takami, Fuji from PoT, expert breadmakers from yakitate, etc).

The point im trying to make is that: while it may seem unreal, that's what all anime are.

yakyuu-addict said:

Back to the desecration of baseball moments - how is it possible to expect a pitcher to throw back to back to back complete games? A perfect game his first start? An eight-man defense? But hey its fictional and this is what makes One Outs great.

A genius isnt a genius unless he does something special. On the same note, did you expect Akagi to suddenly turn the tide after he first showed up at the mahjong parlour?
Dec 4, 2008 6:21 PM
Apr 2008
good ep, since i play baseball this series is very entertaining. one or 2 things didnt need to be added (chains) but that was my only complaint. great ep and i cant wait to see wat toua has up his sleeve next ep
Dec 5, 2008 7:30 AM

Jun 2008
great episode,i wasn't expected that the game will not be canceled.
kie_Jan 2, 2009 3:57 AM
Dec 5, 2008 1:25 PM

May 2007
KEIKAKU DOORI
Dec 6, 2008 12:35 PM

Sep 2008
I'm echoing some of the sentiments here about the ridiculousness of this series. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm sorta loving every second of it, but it's so ridiculous.

I mean -- I'm going to be honest. Tokuchi is making a mockery of baseball with his little mind-games. When both teams were trying to delay/speed up the game, I was a bit disgusted. "C'mon boys. Play baseball like men. You win or you lose -- suck it up." But Tokuchi doesn't seem like a real baseball player to me. He's...I dunno...it doesn't even seem like he's part of the team - he's in this for himself, that's for sure. I was a little surprise that Kojima didn't get mad -- he upholds baseball's integrity and all that stuff.

Hey Baseball fans -- in Japan, does the pitcher not have to bat? Because here in America, the National league requires pitchers to bat, but the American League doesn't. :/ Since Tokuchi's never picked up a bat once, I assume he doesn't have to...but...
Dec 6, 2008 3:39 PM

Oct 2008
naikou said:
I'd be enjoying this more if they'd make it a little more believable. Catching up to 16 runs is overkill - should have been a reasonable number, like 5 or 6.

this is minor league not major its not that hard to do that not to mention its in japan no offense meant to japanese but the standards are different on a lot of levels so it wouldnt be that hard

i liked this episode although it was a little annoying seeing the coach not show any intelligence at all and only following what his player says to get information and not even know the basics of what a pitcher needs... but oh well i like this anime and its made of funny and cool
Dec 6, 2008 5:08 PM

Jun 2007
Syco said:
not to mention its in japan no offense meant to japanese but the standards are different on a lot of levels so it wouldnt be that hard

^So very, very true. Japanese major league baseball is roughly equivalent to lower-mid-levels of the American minor leagues, though certain individual players are exceptions. The Pittsburgh Pirates (16 years of losing records) probably could have pwned the Mariners just as bad. There's just a whole other level of cultural identification with the game, along with larger rercuitment pools, more publicity/salary, etc. You don't see Americans doing well in kendo or sumo, either.

Also precisely why Eyeshield 21's new arc makes negative-infinity-minus-1 sense. As much as I'd like to see a game where it would happen, nobody will ever kick the ass of a national Ameican football team.
Shameless Blog Plugging: animetics.net
Dec 9, 2008 10:19 AM

May 2008
Wow. This series is awesome! First thing I thought when I read about One Outs was: let's try an episode and prolly leave it at that.

But I was so wrong. So wrong! Now I think One Outs (together with Casshern Sins) is the best new series for this season.

Now that I think of it, doesn't Toua reminds you a little bit of BABE RUTH?

Yes, Babe was way before my time, but he's a freaking legend :-)

"Krijg toch allemaal de klere. Val van mijn part allemaal dood."
Jan 2, 2009 1:49 AM

Jun 2008
Gosh I wish I was into baseball more I don't get why the game resumed when the rain was pouring down so much..
HEY!
Jan 23, 2009 3:29 PM

Apr 2008
^ I really wasn't expecting the game to resume either, who on earth did the owner talk to?
Absolutely_Steve said:
Exactly how I feel! Lol, 'the battle of violations', some of them seemed to be pretty unheard of! Favourite was the batter suddenly jumping into the other box :D

Loved when they equalized, the reactions were great ^^

Sep 3, 2009 11:06 PM

Feb 2008
start had me rofl'ing XD

wonder how he'll dig himself out of this hole, it'd take 53 innings just to break even if this isn't a no game.
Oct 13, 2009 5:36 AM

Jul 2009
Damn he is good, he created like what layer by layer trap..and he did not only prepared it for the Marines but for the chairman also..He is Devil
Oct 13, 2009 5:37 AM

Jun 2009
Laevantein said:
Damn he is good, he created like what layer by layer trap..and he did not only prepared it for the Marines but for the chairman also..He is Devil

Maybe he is Hiruma's bother

Genius and evil...
Oct 13, 2009 5:41 AM

Jul 2009
IZUMI64 said:
Laevantein said:

Maybe he is Hiruma's bother

Genius and evil...
Well Hiruma is my favorite character in eyeshield 21 and he resembled Devil too
May 29, 2010 7:22 PM

Mar 2009
Awesome ep.
Jun 19, 2010 9:57 AM

Feb 2010
great ep, but I had to stream it :(
Anybody knows where to dl this with seeds ? The B2e torrent has none left :/
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 30, 2010 11:46 PM

Jun 2009
I actually enjoyed the "rule breaking" competition at the beginning of the episode. It took all the rules I know about baseball and turned it on it's head.

But, if this show is really about "Toua breaking the rules of baseball, to destroy how we think of it." Well, that actually makes it alot more acceptable. I'm a baseball fan and I actually find that idea interesting.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Feb 19, 2011 9:49 AM
Dec 2008
Best episode so far, Loved the cheating part at the beginning.

And btw, of course it is not realist, It's an anime after all.
Feb 28, 2011 11:13 AM

Feb 2009
fireman3521 said:
Best episode so far, Loved the cheating part at the beginning.

And btw, of course it is not realist, It's an anime after all.

Well,many sports animes strive to be as much realistic as possible,something One Outs isn't trying to be.But it's still good when not compared to other baseball shows.

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Apr 20, 2011 12:42 PM

Nov 2009
naikou said:
Despite that, it was my favorite episode so far. Toua putting pressure on the other team to speed up the game was cool. Loved the break-the-rules competition at the beginning. :-P

The competition at the beginning was very fun to watch. I've seen people trying to cheat better than the other team, but never like this :P

They really are pissing off the pitcher though...
Apr 20, 2011 9:41 PM

Dec 2009
I feel want to kill that owner now

May 31, 2012 8:42 AM

Aug 2008
Ok, I think I learned a little bit more about baseball.
Oct 20, 2012 11:05 AM
Mar 2012
where is your death note now kira?
Oct 27, 2012 1:59 AM

Jul 2008
Oh what did that owner do now? Forced the game to continue...
Apr 12, 2013 5:59 PM
Jul 2012
Dang the game is still going and the rain even pouring hard! Damn the umpires are dumb as hell lol. Does Japanese does this too in rain days?
Don't know balk means,
Great move by Toua. Most smartest anime character than anybody!
This show makes it better than Mlb ever did.
5/5 favorite episode
May 28, 2013 8:20 AM

Apr 2010
kie_ said:
great episode,i wasn't expected that the game will not be canceled.

Me neither. I wonder what Tokuchi's plan was for this situation.

May 28, 2013 12:32 PM

Jun 2009
The fuck? Why wasn't the game cancelled?
May 28, 2013 12:58 PM
Jul 2012
Tyestor said:
The fuck? Why wasn't the game cancelled?

Aug 15, 2013 3:54 PM

Jul 2012
Shaduge said:

LMAO I kept on thinking of Light whenever I heard Kira omg.
Mar 26, 2014 6:13 PM

Dec 2011
5/5 episode. The cheating at the beginning was pretty funny and I can't believe they managed to score 16 in 1 inning.

Aug 8, 2014 12:25 PM

Feb 2013
mayukachan said:
Shaduge said:

LMAO I kept on thinking of Light whenever I heard Kira omg.

"And if, there were so many people in the world, there had to be someone living an interesting life that wasn't ordinary. I was sure of it. Why wasn't that person me?"
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part V
[/center]
Nov 20, 2014 3:45 PM

Oct 2014
this one was pretty fun to watch. toua is such a Boss.
Nov 29, 2014 4:33 PM

Jun 2014
I won't be satisfied even if the owner dies.
zat-bustNov 29, 2014 5:19 PM

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Outs Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Torisunanohokori - Apr 2, 2009

213 by Sun_Chan »»
May 17, 9:53 AM

Poll: » One Outs Episode 19 Discussion

Torisunanohokori - Feb 17, 2009

44 by Sun_Chan »»
May 17, 1:12 AM

Poll: » One Outs Episode 18 Discussion

Torisunanohokori - Feb 10, 2009

46 by Sun_Chan »»
May 17, 12:53 AM

Poll: » One Outs Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Torisunanohokori - Jan 27, 2009

57 by Sun_Chan »»
May 17, 12:03 AM

Poll: » One Outs Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Torisunanohokori - Jan 13, 2009

73 by Sun_Chan »»
May 16, 11:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.