Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (24) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
May 7, 2008 1:34 PM
Feb 2005
stevethapirate said:

I agree with you, the ending needed to be the way it was. If they had made an ending where everything is suddenly perfect it might have ruined the series, like the brother coming back in the newer War of the Worlds. (I still dont understand that). But i just wished they could have found a way to make a credible "happy" ending instead a of bittersweet one

I actually like a not-so-happy ending. It's more realistic. I also like it when a writer/whatever can let go of characters, again, it's deeper and more lasting. It has a profound impact on the viewer, to see that these characters aren't just invincible cartoons that can die in every episode yet stand back up to fight by the start of the next episode. The characters that live on show a side not often seen (unless you count background stories... I don't), where they accept the deaths of friends and are able to overcome these adversities.

I liked the ending :-P I especially liked that Simon went back to being a nobody, and even more so that he didn't mind it.
May 7, 2008 6:14 PM

May 2008
I guess it's just a matter of opinion
On a side note, I think that it is a testimony to the greatness of Gurren Lagann that how charcaters in Gurren Lagann end up can make viewers happy or sad. They really did a good job of developing the characters so people could become attached to them. (ex. Kamina)
kyubey is watching you (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ )
May 11, 2008 6:18 AM

Dec 2007
epic anime, to bad it ended that way
10/10

Sumeragi Kururu - Pledge Queen of Tool Toul To

May 22, 2008 2:48 PM
Apr 2008
Dude I don't like the ending...! maybe is cuz no one likes when good stuff come to an end :(
May 23, 2008 12:47 PM

May 2008
Just finished the series two days ago, and I've been so overwhelmed that I couldn't write anything until now. Absolutely loved this anime, unfortunately words can not bring into reality the level of emotion felt after viewing the series. Indeed a masterpiece (10/10). I'm going to show this series to as many friends as possible as soon as possible. However, I'm afraid to watch it again due to its sheer grandeur and the magnitude of what was felt in watching it; I seem to hold it in a high degree of reverence, maybe too much so. It's an overall stupendous work, I didn't even realize how attached I was to the characters until it was all over. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann has become my new favorite anime of possibly all time; if ever an anime can top this one, I shall be truly amazed (if anyone replies to this feel free to list any animes you think can beat it.)

Just a few questions:
In episode 1, the prologue shows simon and another character, is the other character Boota grown up from the child like human version seen of him in episode 26, so if this is Boota, could it mean the prologue is after the final battle sometime in the 20 years before the epilogue, also for Simon to have the drill (spiral power) at the time would mean that he would have had to have borrowed it back? (just a theory based on another)

To the previous references of Kamina's death, wasn't this a necessary plot twist? Before Kamina's death Simon only believed in Kamina and had no self reassurance; had Kamina lived on, Simon would still have believed in Kamina and used his courage to build himself up but never to the level he could achieve on his own. Basically, Simon relied on Kamina, so to make Simon a stronger person as an individual and allow him to achieve all he could, it seems the dependance on Kamina needed to be lost.

About Simon's dismissal of the life of a hero: he had previously engaged in being the leader during the times of peace, but this time it was different. At that time he tried to hold on to the past and not change. Could his handing down the drill (spiral power) be his clinging to the past? The reasons he was originally the leader was because the people needed him, but this time they could rely on Rossiu. Also, he didn't have Nia to tie him to the newly developing world. So, him returning to the life of a simple digger isn't that out of character taking into account his unwillingness to change, is it?

And last, the eyes of Simon in the epilogue; one eye is viewed to have a spiral in it, like Lord Genome's. The only reason this could be seen is because of the light from the launch of Gurren-Lagann. Could it be that the difference in the eyes is only caused by the shadow on his face from his hood or hair? Or, it could be some sort of galaxy developing in him type thing, of this I'm not sure.

These are seemingly rhetorical questions and I've just displayed my theories on the subjects, if anyone has more to add to them or overall disagrees with them, please tell me, anything that helps ensure I know as much as possible about this anime is for the better.

There is so much to be said about this anime, but nothing can compare to watching it: "a picture is worth a thousand words." So, I would like to just reiterate, I absolutely loved this anime.
carnivorousMay 23, 2008 1:02 PM
In the End, was it worth it?
May 23, 2008 5:59 PM
Jun 2007
carnivorous said:
if ever an anime can top this one, I shall be truly amazed (if anyone replies to this feel free to list any animes you think can beat it.)

I don't know if you've completely filled out your anime list, but I'll assume you have and are very new to anime.

TTGL is a classic super robot anime. It borrows many concepts from many different Super Robot anime. To fully appreciate TTGL I think it's important to know more about Super Robot, and perhaps even some real robot. So I recommend you watch:

Change! Getter Robo/Getter Robo Armageddon: Spiral Energy is based on Getter Rays from Getter Robo, this OVA is a renewal of the Getter series from the 70s, but in a shortened form

Shin Getter Robo vs Neo Getter Robo

Mazinkaiser: Mazinger was Go Nagai's first series, Go Nagai basically started the mecha genre, tetsujin...lol, anyways Mazinkaiser is a renewal of it, I love Mazinkaiser

G Gundam: the first, and basically only super robot gundam

GaoGaiGar: eh. Some people love it some hate. I didn't like it. Reminded me too much of transformers. Because there are a few autonomous robots. The GGG is piloted though.

Juuso Kiko Dancougar Nova - Havent seen it yet, but I plan to soon. Good Super Robot I hear.

Aim for the top!/Top wo Nerae!/Gunbuster: this is GAINAX first mecha series. It's excellent. You can see hints of Gunbuster design in the Chougigna Gurren Lagann. Made in the 80s, but the animation is beautiful still.

Aim for the Top! 2/Diebuster: A sequel to Gunbuster. I don't think it's as good. But still should be checked out.

Neon Genesis Evangelion: GAINAX legendary series. Even if you don't like the psychology stuff, the mix of Real and Super Robot is important to this day.

Godannar: Was one of the supreme forces pushing fanservice in super robot.

Kotetsushin Jeeg: A short renewal of another one of Go Nagai's series. A lot of people consider Kotetsu Jeeg to be one of Go Nagai's weakest. It's nothing new. I really like it though. My favor of it wanes and waxes. Sometimes I love it, sometimes I hate it.

DON'T EVEN BOTHER UNTIL LATER:

Gravion - Damn this sucked. Majorly. A waste of time. Ugh.

Dragonaut - Ewwwww.

EDIT: There's also Eureka 7 and Gun X Sword. And while they are good, they didn't really do much for the genre, and didn't really try anything new.

Hope you get the time to watch some of these. I'm sure you liked TTGL. But it can't really be savored and appreciated until you've seen some of these. TTGL is very much an amalgamation of super robot series.

May 23, 2008 6:02 PM

Jan 2008
since i don't feel like typing out a whole lot i just have to say that this series and this last episode was freaking awesome! I love every single episode... I'm still annoyed that Kamina died but it happens... I also wish Simon would've told the kid that the Gurren Lagann was his lol.

May 23, 2008 8:15 PM

Aug 2007
DAYUM....... is all i have to say....
Jun 6, 2008 2:37 PM

Apr 2007
wow..

Too sad they didn't show the way the population looks at simon now. 20 years after the battle.

Jun 29, 2008 10:45 PM

Feb 2008
Best Episode I have ever, EVER, seen in all of Anime, and thats a lot

92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listens to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.
Jul 2, 2008 10:28 PM

May 2008
AnimusNathan said:
I don't know if you've completely filled out your anime list, but I'll assume you have and are very new to anime.

I'm not sure what you were saying there, it sounded like ur implying that theres a bunch of anime greater than TTGL. Not to say that ur wrong, obviously everyone has their own opinions, but...

This series is the only anime I have seen that mastered every single second perfectly. A lot of times even the main plot of an anime feels scattered of unengaging, and it drags the viewing process. I absolutely LOVED this anime, and it engaged me and elevated my emotions beyond what any anime has ever done. Every single episode left me thinking "EPIC. PURE EPIC." It will truly be a miracle if someone manages to top Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. I will never forget this anime, EVER! WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM?!
Jul 13, 2008 7:34 AM

Nov 2007
omfg, it was so good ! TT__TT i loved this episode, this anime, everything! <33 too bad its over now ;__ ;
Jul 16, 2008 1:26 AM

Feb 2008
Okay.

Only one word can describe that: EPIC.
Can't wait till the movies.

I'm so sad about Nia though T_________T
Jul 18, 2008 4:09 PM

Mar 2008
Let's see...

It was an awesome episode. But I reckon the fighting was too showy and not exactly original (-1)

Liked the wedding bit, so sad yet so proud
Jul 18, 2008 4:20 PM

Jun 2007
viny said:
Let's see...

It was an awesome episode. But I reckon the fighting was too showy and not exactly original (-1)

not original? They threw freaking galaxy's at each other!
Jul 18, 2008 5:19 PM

May 2008
mulderman said:
viny said:
Let's see...

not original? They threw freaking galaxy's at each other!

yeah, come on, that doesnt happen every day, now does it?
Jul 28, 2008 5:20 PM

Feb 2008
EPIC END!!!!!1
And its over TT_____TT
Jul 31, 2008 3:42 PM

Jun 2008
I'm speechless...watching this show make you so powerfull! the music, this freaking awsome battle, the end... it's long since I felt this way after I finished a series...really O_O
Aug 6, 2008 12:38 PM
Apr 2008
This was EPIC. However i was disappointed by the ending. Not that only i was rooting for a (proper) Simon x Yoko ending - am i the only one with this? -
But they even ruined Simon x Nia.... wtf? Simon became "nobody" at the ending? WTF!

Don't get me wrong, this anime really IS epic, but the ending pissed me off, i voted 4, but i HATED the way it ended.

That was all i gonna say about it.

Snx out
Aug 7, 2008 1:16 AM
Jun 2007
I don't think you understood the ending...at all... but ok...

Aug 7, 2008 9:16 PM

May 2008
Snoux said:
This was EPIC. However i was disappointed by the ending. Not that only i was rooting for a (proper) Simon x Yoko ending - am i the only one with this? -
But they even ruined Simon x Nia.... wtf? Simon became "nobody" at the ending? WTF!

I liked that kind of an ending; Simon was the hero of the whole world, and then he silently blends in with everyone else, becoming the silent observer. He's done his part, and has now passed on the awesomeness to someone else... its all about your opinion, but thats what i think
Aug 8, 2008 12:02 PM

Mar 2008
Snoux said:

Don't get me wrong, this anime really IS epic, but the ending pissed me off, i voted 4, but i HATED the way it ended.

That was all i gonna say about it.

Snx out
theeggman85 said:
Snoux said:

I liked that kind of an ending; Simon was the hero of the whole world, and then he silently blends in with everyone else, becoming the silent observer. He's done his part, and has now passed on the awesomeness to someone else... its all about your opinion, but thats what i think

I actually agree with Snoux (I am also a Simon x Yoko fan).

Seeing how both Simon and Yoko are pretty much "nobody" at the end, I don't see why they can't make them go together (the fact that Nia's wedding ring dropped and was picked up by Yoko should have hinted at something....but Yoko just threw it back ><)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 10, 2008 2:45 PM

May 2008
Best Fucking ep i'v seen every in my life!!! (good)
and the ending i really cried T.T
Simon, Genome, Viral, Kittan, Nia, Yoko, Kamina, Kittan and all the others YOU ROCK!!!!
i hope there'll be more season (I really hope X|)

to the one above me, i really like too the ending that Simon was nobody...
its like giving a good way of thinking in the ending (althoungh disrespecting Simon)
this usually way of special endings in series (including special series)...
Aug 10, 2008 3:05 PM

Jan 2008
The fact that people are complaining about pairings is mildly depressing. Maybe some of you should just stick to watching lowest common denominator romance shows, you'll get exactly what you want then.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Aug 12, 2008 11:16 AM

May 2008
Niiiiiiiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! ;_;
God I didn't want her to die so bad.

Well, as much as I hate to admit it, that was epic.
Fighting up in space, tearing dimensional holes left and right, crashing through galaxies.
It's the sort of battle I always wanted.

I liked many aspects, and hated others. It's far from my favorite anime. But it is something that keeps you watching it from first to last despite it's flaws.

Well, I'm probably gonna need some sort of slice of life comedy after this.
Have a bit of that hankering to rewatch Lucky Star again, though I probably won't.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Aug 12, 2008 3:01 PM

Jan 2008
NIAAAA!!! ;______;
Epic ending. And lol at Viral's hair.
Aug 12, 2008 8:36 PM

Feb 2008
Just finish it. i think whatever i try to say has been said before in the topic. It was simply the most amazing thing, i am so glad i decided to watch this show it will be in my mind for a long time.
Aug 31, 2008 12:25 PM
Feb 2008
**** was epic. Like stupidly so. Definitely thought the show would've been alot simpler but ep 8 but an end to that notion.

Man, the epilogue was kinda sad in a way, especially for Yoko and Simon IMO. Still though the opening scene of ep1 was never explained ie. showing human Boota (WTF) and an older Simon fighting in space against someone. Maybe it's something in the future? Set after the end of the show but before the epilogue (before the 20 year jump)?

Ah well good show. I think I liked the first half better than the 2nd half but the last few eps picked it up.
Sep 3, 2008 10:37 PM

Dec 2007
Underrated.

-daRUDE
Sep 3, 2008 11:43 PM

Sep 2007
Darude said:
Underrated.

-daRUDE

For some reason you made me lol

Sep 11, 2008 3:12 AM

Oct 2006
oh my god.

wow.
Sep 17, 2008 1:03 PM

May 2008
This episode is epic, I skipped from 17 to the last episode because I read on wikipedia that nia would disappear and I refused to accept that... so I watched part 3 of this episode and it made me cry for about half an hour... I never really cried before with an anime (just once with one of the book written by C.S. Lewis)... still I guess I really hate this anime, why couldn't they add a scene after the end showing nia and simon miraculously reunited... no explanation, just them running towards each other or something like that...

Overall its one of the worst animes I have ever seen, even though its not underrated... its an epic story and episode...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 17, 2008 3:47 PM

May 2008
GreatS said:
This episode is epic, I skipped from 17 to the last episode because I read on wikipedia that nia would disappear and I refused to accept that... so I watched part 3 of this episode and it made me cry for about half an hour... I never really cried before with an anime (just once with one of the book written by C.S. Lewis)... still I guess I really hate this anime, why couldn't they add a scene after the end showing nia and simon miraculously reunited... no explanation, just them running towards each other or something like that...

Overall its one of the worst animes I have ever seen, even though its not underrated... its an epic story and episode...

see thats the thing; its hard to grasp the meaning of the ending, and I don't want to say that Nia didnt matter, cause she did. Everyone wanted them to be together, but the fact that they weren't at the end... it just sort of fit. I cant describe it, but it just works, and I dont know why. And the whole thing wasnt about Nia anyway, it was just a guy who needed some confidence, and Nia was like an angelic sort-of figure to help him. And in the end, simon realizes this, and is content despite his sadness. hope this makes sense, it really is hard to explain
Sep 29, 2008 11:58 PM

May 2008
Great Series, i have to say that this series was everything i was looking for in a series.
in other words Sweet series.
Oct 8, 2008 8:14 AM

Dec 2006
EPIC!
An awesome end to an awesome anime

Nooo.. I still want Nia back *sob
and the old Simon looks kinda weird =< Simon looks weird

I__u_p_p_e_d__m_y__s_t_a_n_d_a_r_d_s_,__s_o__U_P__y_o_u_r_s!
Oct 8, 2008 6:35 PM

May 2008
OK now that I've played the game, doesn't everyone totally think this anime is completely like Spore? They're like the same exact idea, its awesome
Oct 17, 2008 6:12 PM

Sep 2008
Holy epic... one of the best animes that i have ever seen...

10/10
Oct 17, 2008 6:37 PM

Jun 2008
lol i feel so left out that I didnt watch this when it was airing, even though my friends told me too.
epic fight scene, but bittersweet ending.

nia leaving and simon becoming a hermit made me kind of sad though

At first I don't like bittersweet endings, but in the end they're much better than crappy generic plot endings.

Oct 19, 2008 5:54 PM
Jul 2008
i cnt believe the way it ended.. so romatic n tragic. so romeo n juliet... nia disappeared in the end... simon had to destroy the anti-spirals knwin that he would lose nia by doin dt... ts so painful but brave...

even viral made it to the end n kittan died!?!?!?

i love this cartoon... it held alot of surprises... i mean when i watched the first n second episodes i wsnt expectin all this action, drama , n romance out of it... but i guess thats wat great amines r made of... they take you places you dont expect to go....
Oct 23, 2008 2:16 PM

Feb 2008
The Battle WAS EPIC!!
OMFG IT WAS AWSOME!! BETTER THAN ANYTHING YOU CAN BRING!
but I Really HATED the ending... He has the Spiral Eye so He's Immortal but I mean WTF, He turned into a Creepy Hobo with a kinda Drill Spear... LAME
Overal I gave the series a 9 Cuz it was EPIC, But This last Episode Really Lost It's 10...
Oct 23, 2008 6:47 PM

May 2008
BanYa said:
The Battle WAS EPIC!!
but I Really HATED the ending... He has the Spiral Eye so He's Immortal but I mean WTF, He turned into a Creepy Hobo with a kinda Drill Spear... LAME
Overal I gave the series a 9 Cuz it was EPIC, But This last Episode Really Lost It's 10...

A creepy hobo with a drill spear? I thought the ending worked out perfectly myself. As I see it, the anime worked its way into two possible endings: Simon in gleaming armor pwning everything that exists, standing above everyone and triumphing, or a Simon that realizes his duty is done and passes it to the next person. Personally the former has gotten REALLY old and is boring (yeah we know he won, why rub it in) so i prefer the "creepy hobo" (hes obviously not a hobo and he sure wasnt creepy, so dont know where that came from)
Oct 24, 2008 4:26 AM

Oct 2008
BanYa said:
The Battle WAS EPIC!!

Moron
You obviously don't understand the series one bit.

If simon would have continued fighting or even piloting a gunman he would've brought upon the Spiral Nemises with his absurd Spiral power.

He did the right thing by going off on his own.

Oct 25, 2008 10:48 AM

Aug 2008
As for the whole series - well the beginning war pretty bad and lame, I dropeed it but picked up later. It was hard to go through about 1/3 but than surprisingly it got better. I was skeptic at the beginning but in the end looks like TTGL is really good chunk of anime ^^ Kinda sad ending but oh well, at least something more or less original.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Oct 27, 2008 12:33 AM
Jul 2018
simply epic xD
and what yoko's single!? thats a bummer >< and she even wore a man's suit during the wedding... o well, she's still mah idol ^^; that aside, i wish simon stayed with his team -.- and viral should not have cut his hair! he would've looked cooler >.>
Oct 27, 2008 5:04 AM

May 2008
Darude said:
Underrated.

Oh that's rich.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Oct 29, 2008 9:16 PM

Oct 2008
Loved it, and hated it. Loved because the whole anime was great, and hated because it ended.
Nov 1, 2008 9:47 AM

Oct 2008
they pulled a tidus. by far the most satisfying and most deserving anime to have an ending as nice as it was.
Nov 1, 2008 12:06 PM

May 2008
Frito said:
they pulled a tidus. by far the most satisfying and most deserving anime to have an ending as nice as it was.

thats what I thought too! im surprised how many people dont like the ending
Nov 1, 2008 10:28 PM

Oct 2008
There has never been a more epic anime. Throughout this whole series I thought that this is an amazing anime indeed, but it does not surpass Neon Genesis Evangelion. I had believe that something surpassing Evangelion is an impossibility. This episode, this amazing finale has just kicked reason to the curb and done the impossible.

Never will an anime this amazing ever appear again.
<('-'<) <( '-' )> (>'-')>
Nov 1, 2008 10:36 PM

May 2008
Koryu said:
There has never been a more epic anime. Throughout this whole series I thought that this is an amazing anime indeed, but it does not surpass Neon Genesis Evangelion. I had believe that something surpassing Evangelion is an impossibility. This episode, this amazing finale has just kicked reason to the curb and done the impossible.

Never will an anime this amazing ever appear again.

To be honest, evangelion bored and depressed the crap out of me, so I found this series to be incredibly more fun and entertaining to watch. difference between a 5 and a 10... but to each his own; Im glad an evangelion fan could find enjoyment in this series.
Pages (24) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Krelian - Apr 25, 2007

204 by Trash_Monkeyy »»
Apr 16, 11:27 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

windy - Aug 19, 2007

174 by TheStarscream759 »»
Apr 1, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

TheWestExit - Aug 6, 2007

217 by AbyssGundyr »»
Mar 31, 5:39 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

momo_ - Aug 12, 2007

157 by TheStarscream759 »»
Mar 26, 5:08 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

broaz - Jul 29, 2007

194 by phantom346 »»
Mar 25, 10:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.