Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 21, 2013 5:44 PM

Apr 2009
This thread's purpose is to discuss and suggest the anime relations this club should officially add on its list. If a mayority can agree on certain titles they shall be added.
It can also be used to discuss what exactly the requirements of a "shit anime" are.

To start things of, here are my ideas:
Code Geass R2: Rated higher than the first season although there have been frequent complains about the use of deus ex machina, contradicting characterization and so forth.
K & BTOOOM!: Most recent examples of the style over substance approach a lot of pseudo-deep action shows try to use. Bad characters and an even worse plot are ignored by the fanbase because it looks "pwetty :3".
Naruto and Bleach: Obvious examples of long-running anime adaptions of even longer running manga series that just fall flat in the long term. Why no One Piece, you ask? To cause initial butthurt - this club is sarcastic and should provoke a bit, this is my little contribution to it. (Add Hitmann Reborn, D.GrayMan and Fairy Tail if you want, same category for me).
Elfen Lied & Higurashi - Baby's first "lol, so mature and grmdark" anime. Butchered adaptions that life on hype alone.
Guilty Crown and Sword Art Online - Obvious examples and the reason this club was started in the first place.

Edit:

POLLING DATES!!

That's right folks, we're gonna start polling relations that garner a lot of dispute. Our first two polls are:

Ouran High School Host Club (Polling June 24-30)
Psycho-Pass (Polling June 24-30)

A quick rundown on how these will work (and really how polls in general work, but it hasn't been needed to be explained until now)

If a poll has 3 Enlightenment, 3 Unremarkable, and 4 relations it's going to be deemed "unremarkable". The same goes for the opposite. Relations and Enlightenment votes both also count towards unremarkable depending on the sway of the poll.

If a poll has 7 Relations, 3 Unremarkable, 4 Enlightenment, it's going to be counted as "Unremarkable". Same goes for the opposite.

Feel free to ask any questions or to add onto this.

AmberlehMay 29, 2013 10:38 AM
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (28) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 21, 2013 5:49 PM
Jul 2018
Angel Beats! and Durarara!! need to be added.

Angel Beats is basically a collection of Maeda’s own clichés in half-baked pineapple cake of a anime also marred by insipid director not up to job and Jun-kun’s inexperience at scripting tv anime.

Durarara!! is the third most contrived anime series I have seen with the way things just fall into place for no reason. Did they think "hey what if M Night Shymalan wrote baccano?"
removed-userJan 21, 2013 6:03 PM
Jan 21, 2013 5:51 PM

Sep 2011
Gintama. Do I really need to justify why this deserves a spot? I love Gintama, but it's disgraceful that it's the top anime on this site.
Jan 21, 2013 6:02 PM

Apr 2009
Haakonwale said:
Do I really need to justify why this deserves a spot?

Actually, yes. If we want to tone down the flaming it is important to agree on a common definition of what we consider overrated and shitty.

Just state in one or two sentences what you think is so overrated about it and how you think we should handle this matter in general. Thank you.
Jan 21, 2013 6:03 PM

Nov 2011
I second all of your suggestions Nid and your reasoning behind them.

I also believe Zero no Tsukimia should be on there, as it was before. Overly popular for being a 'cute romance' when, like Sword Art Online, it's just a sexist harem series that objectifies women in order to make the main character look more awesome. Like Sword Art Online part of it's popularity comes from the fact that the series continues once the characters actually get together, which, while rare in anime, should not be a defining feature as to why it is 'great'.
Jan 21, 2013 6:05 PM

Oct 2010
Another vote for Angel Beats! and Durarara!!

This goes without saying but I think the following should be in the list without any further discussion.
Highschool of the Dead
IS: Infinite Stratos
Hidan no Aria
Jan 21, 2013 6:08 PM

Oct 2011
I second all of OP's recommendations.

Also seconding Angel Beats and Durararar42!!!!31

Not so sure about Gintama, though. I mean, I'm not personally a fan, but I don't really believe it's that over-hyped.

Amberleh said:

I also believe Zero no Tsukimia should be on there, as it was before. Overly popular for being a 'cute romance' when, like Sword Art Online, it's just a sexist harem series that objectifies women in order to make the main character look more awesome. Like Sword Art Online part of it's popularity comes from the fact that the series continues once the characters actually get together, which, while rare in anime, should not be a defining feature as to why it is 'great'.

I have never seen anything about this series. Care to link to some hype, and maybe post a vid or two with some lol worthy scenes?
Jan 21, 2013 6:11 PM

Apr 2009
Amberleh said:

Interesting.

Might I also propose to add Shakugan No Shana then as both series are just two sides of the same coin, really. Tsunderie, romance, harem, four+ seasons and a large following behind it.

However, this leads us to the question how we should deal with sequels: While it would obviously support the elitist character of our club to judge anime as "shitty" before they haven't evcen aired it will expand the list by a large extent. ZnT and SnS alone would take up nine or ten entries.

Other ideas I have:
Darker Than Black season 2 (Can't really comment on that but most people I trust still see this as very overrated. Your input is welcome)
Deadman Wonderland (reasoning is a bit of SAO and Higurashi: Pseudo-mature, yet in the end only a subpar adaption).

mlcdl said:

This goes without saying but I think the following should be in the list without any further discussion.
Highschool of the Dead
Hidan no Aria

Highschool of the Dead is a given, the most hyped ecchi show in recent years. Maybe we should add Highschool DxD as well while we are at it?

Jan 21, 2013 6:12 PM
Jul 2018
Nidhoeggr said:

Deadman Wonderland (reasoning is a bit of SAO and Higurashi: Pseudo-mature, yet in the end only a subpar adaption).

Oh, boy...BrainDeadman COCOland.

BrainDeadman COCOland along with Elfen Lied are two of those "I'm new to anime, this anime is bloody and so it's awesome!!!" anime.
Jan 21, 2013 6:13 PM

Apr 2009
And of course, the most obvious entry of them all:
DRAGONBALL Z

Do I even need to give reasons?
Jan 21, 2013 6:16 PM

Apr 2012
lordzeru said:

I have never seen anything about this series. Care to link to some hype, and maybe post a vid or two with some lol worthy scenes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BQMb08cnm4
EDIT: Fuck it the yt bb code wasn't working for me. I'll just send the link

Also seconding Angel Beats,Durarararararara, CG R2, Elfen Lied, Nurutu, Bleach.

Suggesting : Lucky Star
I can see how it's a 'gateway' anime of sorts, but the fact that it's praised as something akin to a masterpiece is disgraceful. The "I'm an otaku and this how my daily life is", and lauded as something amazing? I don't think so. Characters fall under some generic trait, whether it's the tsun of Hiragi or the Dan of Tsukamoto or the airhead of pink hair. Nothing happens besides the daily life shenanigans.
Jan 21, 2013 6:21 PM

Oct 2011
SSC_Exin said:
lordzeru said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BQMb08cnm4
EDIT: Fuck it the yt bb code wasn't working for me. I'll just send the link

Also seconding Angel Beats,Durarararararara, CG R2, Elfen Lied, Nurutu, Bleach.

Suggesting : Lucky Star
I can see how it's a 'gateway' anime of sorts, but the fact that it's praised as something akin to a masterpiece is disgraceful. The "I'm an otaku and this how my daily life is", and lauded as something amazing? I don't think so. Characters fall under some generic trait, whether it's the tsun of Hiragi or the Dan of Tsukamoto or the airhead of pink hair. Nothing happens besides the daily life shenanigans.

The life was sucked from my face after clicking that link. Is there really people who enjoy this?

Nidhoeggr said:
Other ideas I have:
Darker Than Black season 2 (Can't really comment on that but most people I trust still see this as very overrated. Your input is welcome)

Honestly, I have to disagree. There's not much hype about it, it's just bad. I think a majority of the Darker than BLACK fans will agree, the second season is just shit.
Jan 21, 2013 6:22 PM

Apr 2012
Deadman Wonderland: Unoriginal, predictable shit with excessive violence and gore thrown in for the sake of violence and gore.

Angel Beats: Stereotypical and undeveloped characters. Melodrama. Terrible pacing.

Vampire Knight: Started out decently but quickly fell into the "Should I pick this guy? Or the other guy? They are both so hot but I can't fuck them both because I don't want to look like a bitchy slut more than I already am" cycle.

Highschool of the Dead: What little amount of characterization and story it had was mercilessly suffocated and smothered by giant, deformed and gravity defying tits.

Fate/Stay Night and Unlimited Blade Works: Clusterfuck

Darker Than Black S2: Totally destroyed the atmosphere that was carefully set up in season 1. Also took a massive dump on top of previous characterizations.

I'm undecided whether or not I should nominate Bakuman. It didn't have any problems in terms of execution but it was predictable and repetitive.

IMO we should limit entries to crap within top 300th in popularity (titles within the series/franchises can be included). Also I concur with Nid's nominations.
BloodRequiemJan 21, 2013 6:28 PM
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Jan 21, 2013 6:27 PM

Sep 2011
Nidhoeggr said:
And of course, the most obvious entry of them all:
DRAGONBALL Z

Do I even need to give reasons?
Yes.
An obvious jab, since you said I had to give my reasons

And as for Gintama. The two sequels are #1 and #5 on the "top anime" list here on MAL. Gintama appeals to people, like me, who (sometimes) enjoy extremely dumb and immature humor. It doesn't deserve to be ranked that highly. I'm bad at wording things, so I don't know how to properly portray what I'm trying to say.

If no one else thinks this should be on the list, so be it. We are a democracy, after all.
Jan 21, 2013 6:29 PM

Apr 2009
The idea of a certain rank or average rating as a condition for joining the list is nice. However, we have to take the MAL userbase and the different perceptions of such a rating system into account.

My inital idea would be the Top 750/500 or a rating about 7.80-8.00. Agree/disagree?

As for Dragonball:
"OMG, TEH BEST SHOUNAN EVUR. GUKO > ALL" - The average Western anime watcher.
NidhoeggrJan 21, 2013 6:33 PM
Jan 21, 2013 6:32 PM

Apr 2012
Nidhoeggr said:
The idea of a certain rank or average rating as a condition for joining the list is nice. However, we have to take the MAL userbase and the different perceptions of such a rating system into account.

My inital idea would be the Top 750/500 or a rating about 7.80-8.00. Agree/disagree?

I agree with top 750. If not we would have to remove Guilty Crown from the anime relations. It is ranked #717, but the popularity is #87.
Jan 21, 2013 6:33 PM

Apr 2012
IMO we should go by popularity, not ratings.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Jan 21, 2013 6:35 PM

Apr 2009
SSC_Exin said:

I agree with top 750. If not we would have to remove Guilty Crown from the anime relations. It is ranked #717, but the popularity is #87.

BloodRequiem said:
IMO we should go by popularity, not ratings.

Popularity sounds good.
After all, we uber-elitists are the first when it comes down to disproving the "popular = good" 'argument'.
Jan 21, 2013 6:37 PM
Jul 2018
BloodRequiem said:

I'm undecided whether or not I should nominate Bakuman. It didn't have any problems in terms of execution but it was predictable and repetitive.

I honestly have not heard that much hype for Bakuman and I have not seen it.
Personally, I find Death Note (The author's other work) to be massively overrated but I can't think of a reason why we should include it due to the fact that the last time I saw Death Note was back when it was airing and I have forgotten most of it.
Jan 21, 2013 6:41 PM

Apr 2009
Death Note is overrated, but was (and still is) considered to be a unique experience within WSJ and it's ever-repeating generic story lines since the early 2000s. Same goes for One Piece, Berserk, etc. They are all overrated as hell, but do indeed offer a certain quality that makes them better than most of their counterparts at least within their genre.

..which is another important issue: When is an anime just overrated and where does "overrated and bad begin"? For that reason, I vote for popularity with rating as a second indicator.
Jan 21, 2013 6:41 PM

Nov 2011
In the case of sequels, for series where every single seasons is stupid, I would just list only the one. There's no need to list all 4 seasons of Zero no Tsukimia. They're all the same thing, it would just be redundant. Same goes for Shana. Just the first season should be sufficient- The only time sequels should be listed is in cases like Code Geass Season 2 and Darker than Black season two, where the first season was good and therefore not on the list and the second season was terrible.

I also fully agree with Deadman Wonderland. I tried to watch two episodes and.. Ugh.

All of those moe seinen grimdark series are pretty much the same (Elfen lied, Higurashi, Deadman Wonderland, Another, School Days, etc). Honestly, I found that I can't even watch seinen series anymore because I'm always dissapointed, with a slight few exceptions (Darker than Black season 1 and a couple others).
Jan 21, 2013 6:46 PM

Nov 2011
Neane1993 said:
BloodRequiem said:

I honestly have not heard that much hype for Bakuman and I have not seen it.
Personally, I find Death Note (The author's other work) to be massively overrated but I can't think of a reason why we should include it due to the fact that the last time I saw Death Note was back when it was airing and I have forgotten most of it.

In terms of Death Note- Death note was very, very good. Fantastic concept and a good psychological look at abusing power. I didn't like it, but I can still agree that it was good. However at a certain turning point in the series it became terrible and introduced trope characters (Mello, Near, etc) who were only there for fangirls and boys to squee over- And squee they did. These characters had very little substance at all and were just stereotypes.

The biggest problem with the series is that most of the people who like it don't understand the series at all and JUST like it for the characters and think "LOL I WANT A DEATHNOTE', thereby negating the ENTIRE PURPOSE OF THE SERIES IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Sorry, I've been to a lot of cons, and a few years ago there were a LOT of Death Note cosplayers. 80% of said cosplayers were under the age of 18 and had no idea what the actual prupose of the series was.

As for whether it belongs on the list- If we're just going by braindead fanbase, yes. If we're also going by quality of the series, then no.

Edit: Apologies for double-post.
Jan 21, 2013 6:48 PM

Oct 2011
I agree with that. I think you should start with not adding Darker than Black S2. Even if there is any hype behind it (which I have failed to see), it's just bad.
Jan 21, 2013 6:50 PM

Apr 2009
I am grateful for Death Note for giving me the best doujin I've ever had the pleasure to read (SFW link on a NSFW site).

And yeah, if Death Note could be seperated into different parts (before and after a certain character died), I surely would vote for the second part to be on our list. But as it stands, DN as a whole is just overrated yet still good enough to warrant some of the praise it gets.

Edit:
I'll be a adding a few titles tomorrow. Let's take it slowly this time around.
NidhoeggrJan 21, 2013 6:55 PM
Jan 21, 2013 7:01 PM

Oct 2010
Nidhoeggr said:

mlcdl said:

Highschool of the Dead
Hidan no Aria

Highschool of the Dead is a given, the most hyped ecchi show in recent years. Maybe we should add Highschool DxD as well while we are at it?

Highschool DxD? I don't mind but its one of those ecchi that can be consider as rare nowadays. You sure about it?

>Darker than Black season 2

I also agree. I really don't understand why the season 2 is rated so high when it totally make the prequel like a trash.

>Shana and Zero no Tsukaima

Don't tell me next is Hayate no Gotoku? Please don't since that Hayate no Gotoku has its own asset(especially the manga) compare to Shana and Zero no Tsukaima.
Jan 21, 2013 7:04 PM

Apr 2009
@mlcdl:
As I said, everything is up to discussion. I am neutral about DxD.

I personally would like to propose Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere (is the title a clever pun on the never-advancing, yet oh-so-teasing plot?) as well.
Jan 21, 2013 7:16 PM

Oct 2010
As for Kyoukai Senjou, well its more like most who rated it high either done their research about the show or just simply like it for fanservice. So yeah add it if you must.

About DxD, let just wait what will the other members of the group will say.
Jan 22, 2013 1:04 AM

Aug 2009
Neane1993 said:
BloodRequiem said:

I honestly have not heard that much hype for Bakuman.

Same here. I have seen two seasons of Bakuman and I definitely don't agree with it being added to the list. It is a shounen, yes, a shounen with plenty of cliches and rather predictable outcomes, but as Blood said, its execution is not bad. Also, it is not that overhyped i.e. it doesn't seem to have a significant fandumb. I agree that the sequels (I would say even the first season, but not by much, considering this is MAL) are rated way too high, but that's a MAL Sequel Syndrome that's common for many shows.
To cut the long story short, Bakuman is overrated, but not really a bad show and therefore I don't think it deserves a spot on the list.
Jan 22, 2013 3:08 AM

Jan 2013
Add:
Code Geass R2 - Not only R2, but the first one as well. It's nothing but one huge contrived illogical plot running on CLAMP pweety figurines (for the girls) and mecha (for the boys). Great emo ending, though.

Naruto, Bleach, Dragon Ball & DBZ - Low to average production values, but OMG IT RULEZ!!1!ONE!ONE!1. Goddam fanboys!

Angel Beats! & K-On - OMG SO PWEETY!!!1!ONE1ONE! Goddam fangirls!

Pokémon, Digimon & Yu-Gi-Oh - Made to sell stuff to little kids, and sell it did - a lot, so who cares about production values? (I do.)

Deadman Wonderland, Elfen Lied & Higurashi - Look, blood. LOTS of it! It's so... MATURE!!1!ONE1!!ONE

Sword Art Online - It started off well enough, but soon became nothing but a male overpower fantasy, complete with a wife who cooks well. I also cook well, so what?

Highschool of the Dead - An excellent premise, great action, and some of the most notable character crisis-driven development. Truly a shame that the author decided to turn it into a harem fanservice fest, as it diluted the seriousness of the situation.

IS: Infinite Stratos & RahXephon - Mecha and harem; how can any otaku resist? These are to the anime what pop is to music: a reduction to the basest taste, so it can cater for the masses.

Strike witches - An even better example of why and how the anime industry is going down the drain. Even if it has a good setting, how can anyone call nekomimi lolis flying their pantsus in war machines an acceptable plot?!? Damn otakus!

Shakugan No Shana - It started off well enough, but quickly devolved into yet another battle (for boys) romcom (for girls) with a loli tsundere heroin (for the masochistic otakus) spiralling down into a gigantic plot black hole.

Zero no Tsukaima - As above, but with the added value of happening in Hogwarts. Oh, and let's not speak of production values, there's no need to delve into painful stuff.

Toaru Majutsu no Index - As above, but with a NUN LOLI... Please shoot me now!

Monster - Don't flame me, I have my reasons... and they're all called coincidence. Coincidence X2, X3, X21, ^15; coincidence that every relevant character would be after the same clue at the same time, time after time, again and again and again...

Highschool DXD - It has great producton values, Rias Gremory's boobs (and the rest of her) look magnificent... it's just a shame that such greatness was wasted in yet another no-plot school harem ecchi romcom.

Vampire Knight - It had a good premise, but it was soon ruined by all the emo goth angst... which made every emo goth fangirl in existence go AWWWWWN!!1!ONE1!! Damn emo goth fangirls!

Do not add:
Death Note - It's absurdly overhyped, and it's also great... Would that make it a great, though overhyped anime or an overhyped great one? Or, maybe its greatness compensates for all the hype, so it's not OVERhyped at all? As Amberleh said, if we're just going by braindead fanbase, yes. If we're also going by quality of the series, then no.

Gintama - I wasn't aware it was so highly placed in the ranking, and that's the only reason I can think of that could make this one a candidate for the club's relations; other than that it has the sort of nonsensical humour that appeals to me wrapped in excellent production values.

InuYasha - Rumiko Takahashi did her job very well (as usual), so, if there's any blame, it's all on the fanbase.
MaegilJan 22, 2013 3:24 AM
My favorite genres: good Quality, better Quality, best Quality, Über-Quality.
Scoring criteria: Existence does not precede Essence.

Current status: OFFLINE. Even if not really.
I have no Facebook, no Tweeter and no latest fashionable social network. Mail me only if you absolutely must, and I still won't promise to answer: the postman might have been shot by an automated sentry, blown up by a mine, eaten by a shark, or something.
Jan 22, 2013 4:12 AM

Aug 2009
Maegil said:

Monster - Don't flame me, I have my reasons... and they're all called coincidence. Coincidence X2, X3, X21, ^15; coincidence that every relevant character would be after the same clue at the same time, time after time, again and again and again...

Is that really a reason enough for Monster to be added to the list?
I am actually neutral on this as I haven't even seen the show yet (shame on me, I know), but I've heard pretty good things about it from many non brain-dead people and reviewers I consider respectable.

For all the rest, I mostly agree. Except maybe for Pokemon and the company. I mean, those are kids shows and kids usually love them, but I haven't seen anyone older praise them. They are kinds of shows people outgrow. Also, their MAL scores are rather low. Well, that's just my opinion, I don't particularly mind even if they are added.

Maegil said:
Angel Beats! & K-On - OMG SO PWEETY!!!1!ONE1ONE! Goddam fangirls!

Not just fangirls, trust me. Those two have a considerable male fanbase that can be equally retarded.
Jan 22, 2013 4:52 AM

Jan 2013
metamorphius said:
For all the rest, I mostly agree. Except maybe for Pokemon and the company. I mean, those are kids shows and kids usually love them, but I haven't seen anyone older praise them. They are kinds of shows people outgrow. Also, their MAL scores are rather low. Well, that's just my opinion, I don't particularly mind even if they are added.

[sarcastic mode]
tearofmankind @ Cogito Ergo Sum - Philosophy In Anime and Manga club said:
I demand adding Pokemon [to their relations list].

This story depicts Ash a Homilopathic Figure, the one who suffer from psychosociological disturbances and Inferiority Complex. Everytime he met a Pokemon master, he felt like handicaped not being able to train a poke. Through the series he improved as a human and achieved hypothetical transhuman state. This metamorphosis leaded him to Nietzsche`s Ubermensch theory. What is more, he did not only improve in existentialistic sense but also progressed the bond between him and his pokemons. We can see, during the series, that the vast majority of Trainers have "slavery-like" bond with pokemons. But not Ash, he developed it into higher level, a metaphysical one. The equality is fulfilled by completing every aspect of Cicero`s friendship definition. We can also see "pokemons" a higher intelectual form of animals that are able to exhibit the higher form of emotions like love and firendship. It makes them somewhat between animal and Animism, where animals are gods. What a great transanimalism concept!

The whole concept of competition is also a refrence to Heraclitus Arché "War is the mother of everything" and supraindividualistic Bergson`s Élan vital theory.
[/sarcastic mode]

I have no Facebook, no Tweeter and no latest fashionable social network. Mail me only if you absolutely must, and I still won't promise to answer: the postman might have been shot by an automated sentry, blown up by a mine, eaten by a shark, or something.
Jan 22, 2013 5:26 AM

Aug 2009
That's some refined trolling. I tip my hat to the author.
Jan 22, 2013 5:43 AM

Jan 2013
Isn't it? I even considered inviting him to join us but then reconsidered, as he might just put the rest of us to shame...

Jan 22, 2013 6:59 AM

Apr 2009
I am against Monster as Urasawa - while being slightly overrated - is one of the better storytellers in the medium. Eespecially Monster and the later parts of the series regarding Kinderheim 511 are a malicious twist on the real GDR re-education policy and indoctrination system (as a German I was very interesting in how a Japanese mystery/thriller writer perceives such a system). Actually, Monster is a bit underrated when being compared to his other popular work, 20th Century Boys, which had a far mor convoluted story and a imho disappointing second half.

I'll go ahead and add around 10 popular suggestions for now. Please tell me if the list is alright for you after I'm done.
Jan 22, 2013 7:08 AM

Jan 2013
More for the list:
Black Rock Shooter - Dig really deep, and you may find a semblance to a plot, and also that it wasn't really worth the trouble. If I were to resume it in two words, they'd be "pweety" and "brutal" - in whichever order.

Gantz - Yay, gore! Senseless deaths! SEX and MOAR gore!!1!ONE Or, it'd be so, if the characters wouldn't spend half the episodes trying to decide to shoot, and half the anime weren't actually just stills.

Hetalia - It has a rare brand of intelligent profound humour designed for cultured history buffs (such as myself). It would also have an excellent character design - if it weren't for all the moe and homophilia, that is... As it is, it just ended up being a pet to every moetard with pretensions of intellectuality out there.

Mirai Nikki - A good premise, a rather decent plot, and good art. Why add this one, then? Mostly because even if it's good, it's not great... well, just because! Piss off!
Now, seriously, while its production values are very reasonable and actually deserves to be somewhat praised, the braindead fanbase saw the bloodfest and started pecking away at it like a bunch of crazed chickens, overhyping it to kingdom come. If I'm adding it to the list, it's only because the hype comes nowhere near the real quality, not because it's actually bad, so feel free to ignore this entry.

Moretsu Pirates - This is for girls what Sword Art Online is for boys: as in SAO, they had an excellent premise and a first rate team... and didn't know what to do with them. What began as a belivable hard sci-fi series soon devolved into a pointless fashion parade showcasing the independent, self-assured and brave uber-ideal-alter-ego heroin. As it was to be expected, it wasn't long before the series went down the drain.

Senjou no Valkyria: Gallian Chronicles - This one suffers from multiple personality disorder: it can't decide if it's a war drama, a romantic comedy or a history parody, so it ends up throwing any shread of realism out the window vying to become something out of or a sword-and-sorcery adventure with DBZ-powered superheroes.

Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai - Yet another otaku mindsturbation title - this time with a tsundere imouto...
MaegilJan 22, 2013 8:03 AM

Jan 22, 2013 8:11 AM

Apr 2009
Mirai Nikki was a very mediocre manga for me. And as a manga reader I was suprised to see the amount of hype it received.

OreImo and K-On are up for discussion if you ask me.
Jan 22, 2013 8:45 AM

Jan 2013
Since I didn't read the manga, all I have to base my evaluation is the anime - and, though not bad, it was way overhyped. As I said, it was the blood; after years of parental guidance and political correctness, this reaction is what happens whenever anybody dares breaking the rules.
[rocking chair mode] Back in the old days, there was blood and gore flying all over the place in stuff like Hokuto no Ken or Legend of the Galactic Heroes, but it wasn't so impressive - those were the days of REAL heavy metal, not this watered-down pop you kids get nowadays... It's not the roof that is on fire, t'was the pope, ya friggin' pussies!!![/rocking chair mode]

As for the others, I'm all for discussion... Why not polling them?
MaegilJan 22, 2013 9:14 AM

Jan 22, 2013 9:53 AM
Jul 2018
Maegil said:
Since I didn't read the manga, all I have to base my evaluation is the anime - and, though not bad, it was way overhyped. As I said, it was the blood; after years of parental guidance and political correctness, this reaction is what happens whenever anybody dares breaking the rules.
[rocking chair mode] Back in the old days, there was blood and gore flying all over the place in stuff like Hokuto no Ken or Legend of the Galactic Heroes, but it wasn't so impressive - those were the days of REAL heavy metal, not this watered-down pop you kids get nowadays... It's not the roof that is on fire, t'was the pope, ya friggin' pussies!!![/rocking chair mode]

Another reason why people go crazy with Future Diary is because of Yuno
(If you can last more than one minute with this, you are a better person then me)

People go crazy when a girl loves a loser.

As for K-ON!!, K-ON! is 100% pure otaku pandering and does not have substance, but I don't think at the same time it should be in the anime relations because then we would have to include worse otaku pandering shows with no substance and that would overfill the anime relations list.

I think the only 100% pure otaku pandering show that does not have substance that should be in the anime relations is Lucky Star, mainly because of the Fanbase.
removed-userJan 22, 2013 9:58 AM
Jan 22, 2013 10:09 AM

Nov 2011
Neane1993 said:
Maegil said:

(If you can last more than one minute with this, you are a better person then me)

As for K-ON!!, K-ON! is 100% pure otaku pandering and does not have substance, but I don't think at the same time it should be in the anime relations because then we would have to include worse otaku pandering shows with no substance and that would overfill the anime relations list.

I think the only 100% pure otaku pandering show that does not have substance that should be in the anime relations is Lucky Star, mainly because of the Fanbase.

I remember I was talking to this one guy at a con 5-6 years ago who, after I told him that I only cosplay interesting/pretty looking characters who aren't commonly cosplayed, told me, in all seriousness, to cosplay someone from Lucky Star. I gave him a very puzzled look.

I'd also like to note that this guy was 38.

Oh Otaku culture. Whatever shall the world do with you.

I also agree with adding Hetalia. It WAS very clever and intelligent, but because of the fanbase it got, the author had to adjust how he was writing it in order to cater to his fanbase,

Prior to Homestuck, Hetalia was the fandom that swarmed every con. It was the new Naruto of cons. D= The fans are horrid. I should know, I lived with one until she finally went away to college. She was also a Narutard before that and now she's into Homestuck. She's also a blubbering yaoi fangirl and has been since she was 12. She also liked to invite her friends over who were all of the same mindset. I remember making the mistake once of inviting one of her friends to my birthday party because, while she had the maturity level of my sister who is 5 years younger than me, this girl is my age. She asked if it was a 'cosplay party" and I said "No, absolutely not, PLEASE do not cosplay." Naturally, halfway through the evening, she put on a cosplay costume.

I don't just know weaboo culture, I witnessed it first hand. I should make a thread documenting all of my experiences with the weaboo culture.
Jan 22, 2013 10:18 AM

Aug 2009
Neane1993 said:

That is true. Most Mirai Nikki fans I know list Yuno as the main reason they love the anime. Nevermind the awesome Mirai Nikki logic, nevermind all the crap the anime throws at you, it's got Yuno.
Admittedly, I found her kinda interesting as a character psychopathological study material, but I hated every moment with her onscreen.

Neane1993 said:

Also, anime community seems to be very fond of the yandere character archetype in general, so a typical whiny MC + a yandere girl who is crazy about him = win combo. I don't get the appeal, but hey, I hate most of tsunderes too, so what do I know.

Amberleh said:

Hetalia [...]because of the fanbase it got, the author had to adjust how he was writing it in order to cater to his fanbase.

I noticed that too. Hetalia seems to be more and more aimed at pleasing the fujoshi crowd. And, yeah, this anime has got to have one of the worst fandoms I have seen.
metamorphiusJan 22, 2013 10:22 AM
Jan 22, 2013 10:23 AM

Jan 2013
[rocking chair mode]
See, nowadays you even have endearing terms for these lunatics... Yandere, humbug! Back in my time we used to just call them "bunny boilers"!

[/rocking chair mode]

Jan 22, 2013 3:00 PM

Apr 2012
Neane1993 said:

The possibilities of self insertion are endless!

Amberleh said:
I don't just know weaboo culture, I witnessed it first hand. I should make a thread documenting all of my experiences with the weaboo culture.

I once found this blog more like an archive, of weeaboo stories. Where innocent casual anime watchers get assaulted by oh so eccentric weeaboo(s). Although in this case weeaboo is synonymous with psychopathic anime viewer. I don't know how many of them were factual or to what degree.

Guess what the majority of weeaboo's (in this archive) favourite anime was?
Jan 22, 2013 3:36 PM

Nov 2011
SSC_Exin said:
Neane1993 said:

Amberleh said:

I once found this blog more like an archive, of weeaboo stories. Where innocent casual anime watchers get assaulted by oh so eccentric weeaboo(s). Although in this case weeaboo is synonymous with psychopathic anime viewer. I don't know how many of them were factual or to what degree.

Oh you mean Weaboo Stories? They got taken down a while back because they were posting real pictures of cosplayers and making mean comments, which they shouldn't have been doing. Just having the stories though was great- Those were really funny. But yeah, some of them were a bit far-fetched.

For example, I remember a story about two twins who ran into some girl on the bus stop on the way to school who referred to the twins and Rin and Len, from Vocaloid, and tried to put a wig on the boy and called him a tsundere when he pushed her.

THAT ONE I have trouble believing. At a con, maybe, but on the way to school? That seems a little extreme even for a weaboo.

I vote we make a 'weaboo stories' thread, but with no pictures because those are kinda mean.
Jan 22, 2013 4:04 PM

Apr 2012
Amberleh said:
SSC_Exin said:
Neane1993 said:

Amberleh said:

Oh you mean Weaboo Stories? They got taken down a while back because they were posting real pictures of cosplayers and making mean comments, which they shouldn't have been doing. Just having the stories though was great- Those were really funny. But yeah, some of them were a bit far-fetched.

For example, I remember a story about two twins who ran into some girl on the bus stop on the way to school who referred to the twins and Rin and Len, from Vocaloid, and tried to put a wig on the boy and called him a tsundere when he pushed her.

THAT ONE I have trouble believing. At a con, maybe, but on the way to school? That seems a little extreme even for a weaboo.

I vote we make a 'weaboo stories' thread, but with no pictures because those are kinda mean.

I have some to share.
Jan 22, 2013 4:24 PM

Apr 2012
I guess the reason they took it so far is because either people were gullible enough to believe everything there; either that or seeing that it's a beautiful opportunity to blatantly insult someone that might not even exist. That's a shame while the stories were sometimes over the top, it made for a fun read. Some were actually quite tame and quite believable on what a weeaboo might do, these I guess were the more enjoyable ones.

The anime uber elitist club weeaboo stories. I wonder how many of us has any experience with some level of eccentric weeaboo.
Jan 22, 2013 4:26 PM

Apr 2009
Fortunately, I don't have many weeaboo stories to share.
However, there is a fun story that happened a few years ago: As a fan of rock & metal I was on my way to a festival in South Germany. I had no car, so I participated in a car sharing that was offered by the festival organizers and ended up on a 10 hour trip with three hardcore Black Metal lovers. It began rather boring as I spent 50% of the trip listening to very obscure Black Metal bands when the shuffle option suddenly skipped to this track on the playlist. As it turned out, ALL of us were anime fans who preferred to don't openly display our affection because of weeaboos. We spent the rest of our trip talking about anime and I still have very fond memories of this festival (I actually met a childhood friend from my hometown as well at the actual festival).

Anyway, let us return to the topic at hand.
NidhoeggrJan 22, 2013 4:46 PM
Jan 22, 2013 5:58 PM
Jul 2018
So, anyone in favor of the stuff that Maegil recommended being added and/or Lucky Star getting put on the anime relations?

One thing I'm not sure should be on the Anime Relations is the Gantz anime. This is due to the fact that the Gantz anime is well-known for being bad.

Moretsu Pirates is pretty unknown to the anime community. Most that saw it forgot about it.

The Black Rock Shooter TV Series is the Worst Anime TV Series I have seen to date.

And I dropped Senjou no Valkyria: Gallian Chronicles after two episodes because it was a total complete mockery of warfare. (The Valkyria Chronicles Video Game was pretty good on the other hand.)

And I have not yet seen Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai.
Jan 22, 2013 6:16 PM

Apr 2012
I'm in favour of lucky star being added to the anime relations, I gave my reasons for this on the first page.

+1 BRS (TV) - God awful melodrama, all it was good for was pretty looking scenery.
+1 Hetalia - Fanbase is shit -tier.
+1 Mirai Nikki - Yuno being held at god tier for a character from the fan base. While the anime has some laughably silly plot development.
+1 Sns and ZnT - Immense fan base, for an incredibly generic anime
+1 Vampire Knight - Wish fulfilment for females.
Jan 22, 2013 6:17 PM

Aug 2009
The only shows that I think shouldn't be on the relations that Maegil or anybody else has suggested are Gantz, Black Rock Shooter, and Valkyria Chronicles (which pretty much what Neane has said already). Valkyria Chronicles ain't that popular anyway (if we're actually going to base it off of popularity, not necessarily the overall score). Basically, stay away from the anime and just play the game. It's got both English and Japanese audio, which is always a plus for any localized game.

Never seen Gantz and don't really care for it. Black Rock Shooter is fucking terrible. Fuck you, Mari Okada.

Anyway, has anybody suggested Kara no Kyoukai yet? It's weird; I like the series, but not solely because of the story but more on atmosphere, music, and animation. Pretentious? Yeah. The problem is that there are 7 movies (not counting the extra one where it's just 30 minutes of talking NONSENSE), and if people agree it should be on there, I'd put just one of them on the relations.
Jan 22, 2013 6:42 PM
Jul 2018
dietmango said:
Pretentious

Oh boy, that word. Let's get a good definition of the word " Pretentious" before we start using. There was a thread made a while ago about this word.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (28) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Anime/Manga Recommendation Thread Based on Your List ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Jan 25, 2013

1162 by LeonhartAugust »»
May 13, 11:17 PM

Sticky: » The New Manga Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

Exinqt - Aug 21, 2015

31 by Ducat_Revel »»
Apr 2, 6:33 PM

» 10 Steps to Becoming an Anime Elitist

Deago - Jun 2, 2023

2 by AaronRRedfield »»
Jan 11, 3:52 PM

» Winter 2024 Overview

Deago - Dec 20, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Dec 20, 2023 8:24 AM

» Summer 2023 Overview

Deago - Jun 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Jun 14, 2023 7:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.