Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jan 17, 2013 2:14 PM

May 2011
RMNDolphy said:
kenshin_sama said:
I would be incredibly moved to tears seeing anyone lose their mother like that and having the daughter beg her mother to stay while there's an incredibly emotional soundtrack running in the background, that was easily enough to move me to tears in ways that many other anime can't achieve.

But that's incredibly manipulative writing that completely ignores logic as a shortcut to the audience's vulnerable, unassuming heart-strings. I can only stretch my suspension of disbelief so far before I'm forced to question why Kotoura-san feels the overwhelming desire to parrot everyone's inner thoughts back to them despite being fully aware of the trouble it's caused her. She even does it after going to a new school! So when a pseudo-dramatic moment, like the mother pushing her daughter down, is built on such shaky foundation, it becomes impossible to take seriously. And this is coming from a guy who cries way too easily at these here cartoons. You buying into that drama doesn't make you wrong, but it certainly doesn't make the writing OR execution good.

That's fine. My goal isn't to put down your reason for not liking this show, it is to provide viable backup to why I like it.
Jan 17, 2013 2:16 PM
May 2009
I'm amazed at how quickly the Topics on MAL turn into Wars. What are you people, 4 years old?

Seriously both sides are at fault here, stop criticizing each other! It's starting to feel like US politics.

When you have a discussion about a subject drop the guns and discuss! Where in this food fight do you see any attempt to understand the other side? The nature of talking about something is to compromise, see the other point of few, and come to an agreement.

Now stop throwing crap at each other and lets have a mature discussion here.

Just to get it out there, I like this Anime and I am enjoying it very much. I'm mature enough to see that it has flaws, but so does every single Movie, Show, Book, Game, Song, Theory, and Scientific Law in existence! That's why we discuss things! I'm excited to see how the story finds it's balance between the comedy, drama, and romance.

And just to point something out about the Genres:
Romance=Love Relations Explored(Kotoura,Moritani,Manabe - check)
Comedy=Jokes Performed thoughout(Manabe - check)
School=Takes place in a School and in school life(check)
Drama=Explores the more complicated aspects of relations and conflict, also refers to how something is neither strictly a comedy or strictly a tragedy(check and check)

Everybody happy?
Jan 17, 2013 2:17 PM

May 2011
5/5 would rewatch. Wait, I already did. Oh well.
I definitely have superpowers. I can feel it in my balls.
Jan 17, 2013 2:20 PM

Jul 2012
RMNDolphy said:

plushkin said:

Lol did you just honestly try to qualify post by saying, "I'm allowed to say it this way, because I'm better than all of you"

The tone was intended to be a joke, hence the "/gloat", but no. I didn't say anything remotely similar to that.

lol except the part where you said "nobody's comments are as in depth as mine, and any that have tried have been cut down to size by me"
in any case, i thought you said the comment was intended as a joke, so why are you defending a gloat? I'm having a good laugh =)
Jan 17, 2013 2:25 PM

May 2011
nantuko said:
Wordsmith said:
Opinions lead to anger, anger leads to hate, and hate leads to incredibly stupid forum posts.

That being said, I have seen very little actual viable critics in here. Just FYI, opinions =/= critics per se. What I DID see was an obnoxious amount of Butthurt, on all sides, and a flamewar that has to do with opinions and nothing to do with Kotoura.

That's probably the most intelligent post I've read in this whole Thread so far. *givesyouacookie*
But I guess what you see here is just a natural part of MAL as sad as it sounds.

Why does it have to be just MAL? I'd say shit like this happens in most areas of the anime community.

japzone said:
I'm amazed at how quickly the Topics on MAL turn into Wars. What are you people, 4 years old?

Seriously both sides are at fault here, stop criticizing each other! It's starting to feel like US politics.

When you have a discussion about a subject drop the guns and discuss! Where in this food fight do you see any attempt to understand the other side? The nature of talking about something is to compromise, see the other point of few, and come to an agreement.

Just to get it out there, I like this Anime and I am enjoying it very much. I'm mature enough to see that it has flaws, but so does every single Movie, Show, Book, Game, Song, Theory, and Scientific Law in existence! That's why we discuss things! I'm excited to see how the story finds it's balance between the comedy, drama, and romance.

Drama=Explores the more complicated aspects of relations and conflict, also refers to how something is neither strictly a comedy or strictly a tragedy(check and check)

Everybody happy?

Why do you think we are arguing over our preferences rather than debating on the anime? Because we are arguing over the subjective viewing of this anime and it would be pointless to debate over the actual faults.
Jan 17, 2013 2:25 PM

Mar 2012
plushkin said:
RMNDolphy said:

plushkin said:

Lol did you just honestly try to qualify post by saying, "I'm allowed to say it this way, because I'm better than all of you"

The tone was intended to be a joke, hence the "/gloat", but no. I didn't say anything remotely similar to that.

lol except the part where you said "nobody's comments are as in depth as mine, and any that have tried have been cut down to size by me"
in any case, i thought you said the comment was intended as a joke, so why are you defending a gloat? I'm having a good laugh =)

I admit, the tone of my first post may have been a mistake. That type of humor doesn't work well on the internet and invites people to argue with the tone I employed rather than the points I have made, but I assure you any arrogance on my part was meant in jest.

I do, however, uphold that there's been a disappointing lack of insightful counterpoints to the detractors (not just myself). Could you point me to a well-written positive appraisal on this show then? Or better yet, write one yourself.
NotDolphyJan 17, 2013 2:30 PM
Jan 17, 2013 2:26 PM

Jul 2012
japzone said:

LOL! Everybody in here are children! I'm an adult! I'm mature!
lol sorry for being immature. I just find it funny you mention US politics, where the first thing they say is "can we act like adults now and have a mature conversation?"
the joke being the preconceived notion that everyone before you are already children and not mature enough until you graced us with your presence.
Jan 17, 2013 2:28 PM

Mar 2011
I'd say they could have made the second episode better than this. There are scenes that were kinda off and rushed. Second episode was not as good as first but it still managed to reach the high expectation bar that the first episode set. I actually thought it will become more love comedy on episode 2 onwards. More awesome episodes to come!

Is it safe to say that this is the best series this season?
Jan 17, 2013 2:32 PM

May 2011
RMNDolphy said:
I do, however, uphold that there's been a disappointing lack of insightful counterpoints to the detractors (not just myself). Could you point me to a well-written positive appraisal on this show then? Or better yet, write one yourself.

kenshin_sama said:
What this anime does to really push itself ahead of the competition is the setting of the lead heroine and an excellent use of soundtrack. I would be incredibly moved to tears seeing anyone lose their mother like that and having the daughter beg her mother to stay while there's an incredibly emotional soundtrack running in the background, that was easily enough to move me to tears in ways that many other anime can't achieve.
Jan 17, 2013 2:39 PM

Oct 2010
This anime is the best this season. (Excluding sequels) With GJ-Bu being the second. This anime is of its own kind and I'm loving it!!! The art style isn't even that great and it's going well. Can't wait for next episode.
Jan 17, 2013 2:42 PM

Dec 2012
Tragedy, romance and comedy. This anime is really picking up. Manabe already confessing was sweet, glad he gave that other girl a piece of his mind.

Every show has its flaws, yes even the ones you gave tens have flaws but you just don't want to acknowledge them. Nothing will ever be perfect.
DarkjollyJan 17, 2013 2:50 PM
Jan 17, 2013 2:43 PM

Mar 2012
kenshin_sama said:
RMNDolphy said:

kenshin_sama said:
What this anime does to really push itself ahead of the competition is the setting of the lead heroine and an excellent use of soundtrack. I would be incredibly moved to tears seeing anyone lose their mother like that and having the daughter beg her mother to stay while there's an incredibly emotional soundtrack running in the background, that was easily enough to move me to tears in ways that many other anime can't achieve.

That's all quite vague though. First of all, what about the the setting makes it stand out? It seems like a fairly typical school/club setting to me. What about the lead heroine do you like? What qualities make her an exemplary character? I've already listed my problems with the writing surrounding her; do you have any counterpoints to that? The soundtrack is the only somewhat substantiated point there, and while I disagree and find it far too saccharine and cloying to take seriously, I can understand what you like about it.
Jan 17, 2013 2:49 PM

Jul 2012
RMNDolphy said:
plushkin said:
RMNDolphy said:

plushkin said:

I admit, the tone of my first post may have been a mistake. That type of humor doesn't work well on the internet and invites people to argue to the tone I employed rather than the points I have made, but I assure you any arrogance on my part was meant in jest.

What's hilarious about this whole situation is...
...I kind of agree with you XD
It's the tonal shift that throws me off this episode.
One minute, I'm laughing along with everybody else in the show, the next they're being an absolute bitch to Kotoura-san.
My best description for this show is that it's a Romantic Dramedy, where the situation is so shitty, all you really can do is laugh.
And I know why you have problems with the show: it's the Opening. The song is too comical to take in the serious elements without thinking it's melodromatic, and you're worried the comedy in the opening will be the only type of jokes we're going to get.

But when it's all said and done, I really love the concept of the show.
The one's who are horrible to Kotoura-san are the ones who actually have something to hide. So the ones that bully her the worst are the people who hate themselves the most.
And it is only characters like Manabe that like to be around her, because they are either comfortable with who they are or they just don't care.
And it is an original idea to use ESP as the devise for self-realization in a Dramedy
Jan 17, 2013 2:50 PM

Dec 2012
Kotoura y u so cute?!

Definitely one of my favorites this season, it's not just one of those moe/ecchi school life shows, where the cast overreacts to every single thing and the girls have tits the size of boulders. ofc it has it's flaws but it's still awesome.
Jan 17, 2013 2:53 PM

Oct 2011
Great!!! another good episode!! It turned out to be more dramatic than i thought though, I thought it was ro-com, but this way it's cool too!!
Signature
Jan 17, 2013 3:09 PM

May 2011
RMNDolphy said:
kenshin_sama said:
RMNDolphy said:

kenshin_sama said:

That's all quite vague though. First of all, what about the the setting makes it stand out? It seems like a fairly typical school/club setting to me. What about the lead heroine do you like? What qualities make her an exemplary character? I've already listed my problems with the writing surrounding her; do you have any counterpoints to that? The soundtrack is the only somewhat substantiated point there, and while I disagree and find it far too saccharine and cloying to take seriously, I can understand what you like about it.

Excuse the poorly written statement. What I meant by setting was Kotoura's misfortune involving her mother. It was heartbreaking, seeing her abandoning her child like that that really made me feel something for her, it gave me a deep connection with her character. And while it may not have had its intended result with everyone, it certainly established a good amount of characterization for the rest of the series to build up on (but it made it that much better for me seeing how I was able to accept what it was intending to do). And again, I stress the handling of the soundtrack because it was really deep and I was completely indulged in the experience.

I already stated that I acknowledge its faulty writing. But I am one to focus more on execution than I am to focus on the finer details. I am not an analytical viewer. You can be as disappointed in my argument as you want to be, but I will not argue a point that I know is not wrong (I am not a blind fanboy).

And if you want my take on another reason I like this anime, I would say that it does a very good job at being a romance anime. While the pacing of the episode may be a little off, the pacing with the romance is acceptable. There are meaningful interactions within the central pairing that lead to a satisfactory development in romance. There is also the fact that the MC is an awesome guy. He sees the problems surrounding Kotoura and he handles it with a great amount of common sense that you rarely see in romance anime. Think about it, what would be the typical reaction to a love triangle in anime? It would likely result in an indecisive male lead with his head in clouds and never making any serious attempt to fix the dilemma. And you also have this girl that has received nothing but hate from everyone around her and suddenly meats someone who can accept the type of ability she has. Something like this is a match made from heaven and I am overly pleased with this.
Jan 17, 2013 3:09 PM
Dec 2012
Good work! It was enjoyable. Watching the first half, I thought it would be just another light-hearted romcom. But from the middle, it got spiced up with darkness. Maybe it's not so dark as Higurashi nor Elfen Lied, yet it seems so dark as Dusk Maiden of Amnesia to say the least. (And interestingly enough, they had the occult research club in DMoA whilst the ESP research club in this anime.) I think it's safe to say this anime is intriguing enough to be one of the best 2013 winter anime already.

P.S. This anime seems to have different spices--so far Kotoura, Yuriko and Hiyori. I'm looking forward to following developments.
Jan 17, 2013 3:17 PM

Nov 2007
Just where it was after the first episode. Still easily the best new snime of the season.

Kotoura is so cute. ♥

Manabe confessed already but he doesn't know why Kotoura was hiding from him. Lol.
Mifune had a terrible experience too. I hope she will find a new inspiration in Kotoura's power instead of using it a means to prove her mother's ability.

Moritani already got rejected! Poor girl. She had it coming after she did all the horrible things to Kotoura. But since she is one of the main characters, she will have her part to play in the anime.

Muroto looks like an interesting character too!

Can't wait to see the next episode already!

5/5 again!
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jan 17, 2013 3:22 PM
Jul 2018
hahaha, So far so good, Im enjoying this show alot.
Jan 17, 2013 3:25 PM

Mar 2011
I'm glad Kotoura san can live up to the first ep expectations
The ep was great and Manabe is one of my favorites mc this season
I just hope that the drama in it would not become a double-edged sword

And this discussion has turned into a never ending OPINION war again....
Just enjoy the anime guys..
Jan 17, 2013 3:27 PM

May 2011
I really like the show. But i do have two small gripes.

Kotoura personality seems way to normal for someone who is suffering from acute abandonment issues and severe bullying.

The resolutions are done way too quick. It gives me a shallow, contrived feeling when they resolve some episodic issue.
Jan 17, 2013 3:30 PM

May 2011
Firixizu_Mint said:

I'm trying, man! I just don't like the sight of other people bashing on my tastes in anime. I guess you could call it a pride thing.
Jan 17, 2013 3:32 PM

Mar 2011
I see no harm in discussing our different opinions here, unless they get too angry or degrade into ad hominem.

As it is I didn't have too many problems with this episode, did with the first however.

I thought the pacing was off, thoughts?
Jan 17, 2013 3:34 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
japzone said:

Everybody happy?
Hello No! I just realized it doesn't have any cute female samurai or mecha!
Jan 17, 2013 3:37 PM

Mar 2011
kenshin_sama said:
Firixizu_Mint said:

I'm trying, man! I just don't like the sight of other people bashing on my tastes in anime. I guess you could call it a pride thing.

I'm definitely with you
I also hates people who always bashing tastes
Just think that it will be time consuming, because people like that usually can't accept the fact that everybody has different tastes and force their opinions / tastes. Therefore, they will continue bashing until they're tired....
Pride? okay
Jan 17, 2013 3:40 PM

May 2011
InfiniteRyvius said:
I see no harm in discussing our different opinions here, unless they get too angry or degrade into ad hominem.

As it is I didn't have too many problems with this episode, did with the first however.

I thought the pacing was off, thoughts?

It was, but not at a considerably bad level. That and rom-coms are usually a bad measure of pacing since they do often rely on being fast to maintain the overall mood.

Cratex said:
japzone said:

Everybody happy?
Hello No! I just realized it doesn't have any cute female samurai or mecha!

You know what, you're absolutely right!
Jan 17, 2013 4:03 PM

Apr 2012
Kotoura's drama is the only thing really pulling the show from the rock bottom. Taking that aside, the overall mind-reading pervert comedy is generic, the MC is your typical clueless ordinary pervert who gets all the girls, and everyone else's drama is quite forced given the extremely limited air time issued for them (perhaps less than 30 seconds for the second girl in the love triangle's backstory). The supporting ensemble from the ESP club don't seem very interesting, nor did I find that girl's mother ESP problems that well-executed.

As such, the show seems to heavily victimize Kotoura in favor of setting everyone else as heartless monsters. I don't really find this all that interesting and while I thought the first half of E01's drama well-done, this one felt far more forced. (3/10)
Jan 17, 2013 4:21 PM

Oct 2008
Can't stop barfing feels for this show.

Koshi/5
Jan 17, 2013 4:24 PM

Jan 2011
another good episode it's taking sometime to getting used the use of heavy Drama and comedy all in one episode but that's one of the reasons i like this show so much

Muroto didn't think he would be so mature for his size lol
Jan 17, 2013 4:24 PM

Nov 2009
nil- said:
the MC is your typical clueless ordinary pervert who gets all the girls

1. He's not getting all the girls, I don't see 5-6 girls fighting for him...

2. Most guys are like that... (yes them guys who don't follow everyone else's rumors, is an idiot, and solves his curiousity through his actions)... not all guys are either feminine, buffed up hardcore, in love with himself, have great charisma, or someone who bullies everyone because he's talented aka infatuated about his/her superiority, lol.

Technically he isn't clueless though, he states what he thinks and doesn't lie about what he's thinking
MagicFlierJan 17, 2013 4:27 PM
Jan 17, 2013 4:28 PM

Sep 2011
RMNDolphy said:

But that's incredibly manipulative writing that completely ignores logic as a shortcut to the audience's vulnerable, unassuming heart-strings. I can only stretch my suspension of disbelief so far before I'm forced to question why Kotoura-san feels the overwhelming desire to parrot everyone's inner thoughts back to them despite being fully aware of the trouble it's caused her. She even does it after going to a new school! So when a pseudo-dramatic moment, like the mother pushing her daughter down, is built on such shaky foundation, it becomes impossible to take seriously. And this is coming from a guy who cries way too easily at these here cartoons. You buying into that drama doesn't make you wrong, but it certainly doesn't make the writing OR execution good.

OK .. lets try and deal a bit with some of the 'ignoring logic' things that you have a problem with in the first 10 minute sequence in episode 1 and why you think it was bad melodrama. Firstly Kotoura has said that she has no real control of her ability. Secondly as is apparent from a couple of conversations in episode 2 she has problems distinguishing between peoples spoken voice and inner voice. Thirdly the sequence in ep 1 is combining all the bad experiences in one montage so hence is designed to show her isolation and what 'broke' her character. Taking these all into account i find that the series of events that occurred very logical.

As to hating melodrama, well there's nothing wrong with a bit of melodrama here and there. I think what you've done is dislike a show (which is fine) and then looked for reasons WHY you dislike it rather than say you don't like this type of mix of comedy and drama.

Edit: As to her behaviour when she's older? Well that's particularly obvious. At this point she has no interest getting close to people and spends her time creeping people out so that they will leave her alone.
scruffykiwiJan 17, 2013 4:39 PM
Jan 17, 2013 4:40 PM

Apr 2012
MagicFlier said:
nil- said:
the MC is your typical clueless ordinary pervert who gets all the girls

1. He's not getting all the girls, I don't see 5-6 girls fighting for him...

2. Most guys are like that... (yes them guys who don't follow everyone else's rumors, is an idiot, and solves his curiousity through his actions)... not all guys are either feminine, buffed up hardcore, in love with himself, have great charisma, or someone who bullies everyone because he's talented aka infatuated about his/her superiority, lol.

Technically he isn't clueless though, he states what he thinks and doesn't lie about what he's thinking

I was merely describing a trope he falls under; 2 girls in two episodes is enough for me to throw him in that category. And sure, you can argue all you want about how relatable that archetype may be, but it doesn't mean he's really anything special. Yes, he's a very honest person who truly enjoys helping the unfortunate, but that doesn't peg him as an original or very admirable character if it's been done many times before.

It's not surprising that he's relatively unoriginal given the much bigger focus on Kotoura's characterization. Less a fault on the show's execution than on the show's direction. They're more on putting all their eggs in one basket (i.e. whether you like Kotoura or not).
Jan 17, 2013 4:49 PM

Aug 2011
Kotoura-san confirmed for best show of the season.

It's not even a contest.
Jan 17, 2013 4:50 PM

Sep 2012
It's just so nice to see so many people following a title that you like ^^

this is what you get for being a total b*tch, Moritani D:

Hope everyone will treat Kotoura nicely from now onwards T.T
Jan 17, 2013 4:54 PM

Feb 2008
They even made Conquer God voice acting Daichi that's make his character so intelligent.
Hiyori got a crush at Manabi, but what a hell is wrong with that girl.

For what I can see in the preview Hiyori girl that bullie Kotoura-san will somehow take a revenge on that.
Oh I actually hear Kuroneko from Yuriko, I see the same voice acting.
She somehow also have such a cruel past like Kotoura-san I'm sure they become close friends.
When they sycro when they call him leecher whatever.

I actually love this anime, I can't see any problem with it.
About Moritani girl there will be episode that she take revenge and somehow apologize to her

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Jan 17, 2013 4:56 PM

Mar 2012
scruffykiwi said:
RMNDolphy said:

OK .. lets try and deal a bit with some of the 'ignoring logic' things that you have a problem with in the first 10 minute sequence in episode 1 and why you think it was bad melodrama. Firstly Kotoura has said that she has no real control of her ability. Secondly as is apparent from a couple of conversations in episode 2 she has problems distinguishing between peoples spoken voice and inner voice. Thirdly the sequence in ep 1 is combining all the bad experiences in one montage so hence is designed to show her isolation and what 'broke' her character. Taking these all into account i find that the series of events that occurred very logical.

As to hating melodrama, well there's nothing wrong with a bit of melodrama here and there. I think what you've done is dislike a show (which is fine) and then looked for reasons WHY you dislike it rather than say you don't like this type of mix of comedy and drama.

Point one is obvious and doesn't contradict anything I've said. Regarding point 2, she was looking directly at her father when she said that thing about the love hotel. She was looking directly at her new classmates when she said that stuff about not joining the tennis club. Does her ESP also impair her ability to see when lips are moving? And on your third point, I understand why they combined all that drama into 10 minutes, I just felt it was underhanded and emotionally manipulative. Taking a more objective approach to the same story would have done wonders for the material (flaws in writing and all), but the overwrought, implausible tragedies in a quick successive montage coupled with the overly saccharine music, cliched tragic elements like rain, taking away the last anchor of happiness (the cat), the screaming into the sky, muted color tones... It's just too cloying to take seriously. Additionally, it all feels like a ploy to get the audiences mood down in order to make Hero-san coming to save the day with his HILARIOUS perverse dreams and bright color tones falsely emotionally satisfying. In other words, manipulative.

Another problem is that the relationship feels entirely arbitrary as of yet. I don't really see any connection between the two characters aside from Kotoura's admiration for him. What drew Hero-san to Kotoura is incredibly unclear, enless it's just because she's cute. This Hero coming to save the damsel in distress is an all too common trope in shoujo (not saying this is shoujo, by the way), and the dynamic between the two, or what little there is of one, isn't enough to make the whole thing fresh.

PS That "hilarious" was intended as sarcasm.
NotDolphyJan 17, 2013 5:16 PM
Jan 17, 2013 5:08 PM

Aug 2012
This anime really has potential of being "best of season"
Jan 17, 2013 5:16 PM
Oct 2010
Yep, this got potential.

Count me in as one of those liking this. I don't mind watching anime that isn't completely perfect (or I would have nothing to watch)
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Jan 17, 2013 5:17 PM

Aug 2012
They're developing the romance too far in.
We're only 2 episodes in and Kotoura has already developed feelings for Manabe.
It's too quick, they should have waited until at least episode 5.

Other than that, it was an enjoyable episode.
The red-head is a bigger bitch than Ami from Toradora!
It's amazing at how heartless people are in this series.
It sent me a lot of feels.
Jan 17, 2013 5:21 PM

Mar 2011
DraconisMarch said:

It's not even a contest.

Chihaya Furu.
Everything rolling on from last season (Psycho Pass, JoJo, SHinsekai Yori etc.)

They all curb stomp this show in my opinion.

I can back it up if you want me to.
Jan 17, 2013 5:22 PM

Apr 2009

[ ] NOT TOLD
[ ] TOLD
[x] FUCKING TOLD
Jan 17, 2013 5:30 PM

Sep 2011
nil- said:

I was merely describing a trope he falls under; 2 girls in two episodes is enough for me to throw him in that category. And sure, you can argue all you want about how relatable that archetype may be, but it doesn't mean he's really anything special. Yes, he's a very honest person who truly enjoys helping the unfortunate, but that doesn't peg him as an original or very admirable character if it's been done many times before.

It's not surprising that he's relatively unoriginal given the much bigger focus on Kotoura's characterization. Less a fault on the show's execution than on the show's direction. They're more on putting all their eggs in one basket (i.e. whether you like Kotoura or not).

I think you are underestimating the importance of Manabe as a character. Firist of all he is NOT a 'self insert' character so you won't see the typical tropes that come with that. Secondly while he is relatively ordinary, well so are most people. He does have some nice traits though that make him a little special. First of all he is not double minded, as in his interior thoughts and exterior words align. Secondly he is not afraid to say what he feels. Compare his 'confession' about Kotoura to Moritani to a typical male MC. No dithering, no blushing, just 'I like her .. you got a problem with that!'. It's really refreshing to see a male lead like this.
Jan 17, 2013 5:37 PM

May 2011
Amarrez said:

[ ] NOT TOLD
[ ] TOLD
[x] FUCKING TOLD

Serious props to this guy for being an awesome male lead.
Jan 17, 2013 5:41 PM

Aug 2011
InfiniteRyvius said:
DraconisMarch said:

It's not even a contest.
Chihaya Furu.

You mean with stuff like "4 year old kids should have absolutely flawless reasoning skills and even though she thinks they're SAYING these thoughts out loud she should stop responding to them" (and various assorted illogical garbage)? That same nonsense you abslutely would not stop trolling everyone with last episode?

Yeah, lol, no. You have fun with that little "opinion" of yours.
Jan 17, 2013 5:41 PM

Sep 2011
RMNDolphy said:
scruffykiwi said:

Point one is obvious and doesn't contradict anything I've said. Regarding point 2, she was looking directly at her father when she said that thing about the love hotel. She was looking directly at her new classmates when she said that stuff about not joining the tennis club. Does her ESP also impair her ability to see when lips are moving? And on your third point, I understand why they combined all that drama into 10 minutes, I just felt it was underhanded and emotionally manipulative.

As per point 2 .. yes I am saying that at that younger age she cannot tell by watching lips what her parents are verbalising. You may think it sounds nonsense but if you are used to hearing with your ears and another sensory organ voices and other sensory input does not quite match up then your mind simply glosses over the fact. Remember that sound is a sense just like her ESP so her brain would just be assembling it together into one sense. (Apart from visual images which seem to overlap with her vision on occasion). Also at that age she was unaware others were different to her in what they could hear. And finally a girl that age had no clue the implications of her parents thought.

It's not until she is a lot older and after she became aware of her sense that she became aware of the difference between inner and audio voice, but if you look at some of the conversations in episode 2 she still makes mistakes, even when looking at them.
scruffykiwiJan 17, 2013 5:44 PM
Jan 17, 2013 5:55 PM

Jul 2009
kenshin_sama said:
Amarrez said:

[ ] NOT TOLD
[ ] TOLD
[x] FUCKING TOLD

Serious props to this guy for being an awesome male lead.

LMAOOOOOOO.
that dumb kid is now crying in jail. now he can enjoy all the riots in jail ;)
Jan 17, 2013 5:56 PM

Dec 2008
Splendid episode :D fuck those trolls Kotoura-san as long you got good friends now and a club! THIS IS YOUR FIRST TIME MAN!!! 10/10
Jan 17, 2013 5:59 PM

Mar 2011
DraconisMarch said:
InfiniteRyvius said:
DraconisMarch said:

It's not even a contest.
Chihaya Furu.

You mean with stuff like "4 year old kids should have absolutely flawless reasoning skills and even though she thinks they're SAYING these thoughts out loud she should stop responding to them" (and various assorted illogical garbage)? That same nonsense you abslutely would not stop trolling everyone with last episode?

Yeah, lol, no. You have fun with that little "opinion" of yours.

I don't think trolling means what you think it means.

Also, I didn't intend for my points to be hard to understand, I don't think they were, but somehow you managed to misconstrue them, I'm not sure how you managed that one...
Jan 17, 2013 6:02 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
To much noise in here. Later.
Jan 17, 2013 6:12 PM
Jun 2008
well another day as usual til kotoura & manabe meet mifune who want them join esp club with make sure no escape from it also meet small vice pres.

give cause mifune got her reasons for it due to past cause her mom was a celebrity psychic person til people call her a fake with lead to her mom "buy the wagon for self" which cause mifune rough past.

yet there also hiyori who family run a dojo & in past like manabe til since kotoura arrive well bit hmm on it.

so esp club trying fortune tell seem fine til hiyori come in to pick on kotoura with being full HEEL saying on mind even call kotoura a monster to make her punk.

with cause kotoura get bullied again til manabe to rescue while telling hiyori stop bulling kotoura & mifune being sorry for kotoura for it.
LIVING THE GS-LIFESTYLE
MR.GS
JUST ON THE JOURNEY THROUGH THE ANIME WORLD
THE KLAC OF ANIME WORLD
you either with ANIME http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 or against the anime
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

GotenSakurauchi - Jan 10, 2013

457 by TecknicalWarrior »»
Apr 30, 9:50 AM

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2013

152 by _untitled »»
Apr 29, 7:29 AM

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 7, 2013

172 by _untitled »»
Apr 8, 7:55 AM

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 31, 2013

210 by _untitled »»
Mar 25, 9:06 AM

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2013

272 by SereniTeaHive »»
Mar 22, 4:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.