Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 10, 2013 2:58 PM

Sep 2012
OMG I DIDNT WANT IT TO END THE CHEMISTRY WAS PERFECT the beginning was so creepy she was acting just like chrona from soul eater and the eyes

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 10, 2013 2:58 PM

Aug 2011
An excellent first episode for sure. I watched the PV last week and had good anime vibes especially since I am no fan of school life type animes. I am glad I trusted the vibes and watched this one...8/10 for the first episode. Looking forward to more of the same and may well prove to be my favorite for this otherwise mediocre Winter 2013 anime season. ^^
Jan 10, 2013 2:59 PM

Oct 2011
Tyrel said:
So this girl has Mind reading abilities and then this random boy has some weird ass animation of purple shit...and she comes to her senses? L0lwut.
And probably "L0lwut" factor was something that brought her back - after being used to hearing nasty things about her it was rather surprising thing to see in someones mind.
It was bit exaggerated.

But now this series will move into comedy, with some bits of drama here and there - like other people thinking it's something awesome, her knowing it's nightmare and her mother's issues... probably.
It worked just fine with Mitsudomoe (same staff here)
Dalek-bakaJan 10, 2013 3:12 PM
Jan 10, 2013 3:05 PM

Sep 2011
Post-Josh said:
Fucking beautiful.

mind-reading/10

DraconisMarch said:
...My heart strings were not ready for this.
EVEN Draconis is on board.

Tyrel said:
So this girl has Mind reading abilities and then this random boy has some weird ass animation of purple shit...and she comes to her senses? L0lwut.
If you took that literally I don't know what to tell you.

YES OF COURSE I DID. Lol, no. I wrote that while I was watching the episode.
Jan 10, 2013 3:11 PM

Aug 2011
This was ten times better than I thought it would be. I kinda teared up during the first ten minutes.

The comedy is hilarious though, this season is great.

It's really sweet. Can't wait for the next episode.
Jan 10, 2013 3:12 PM
Sep 2009
I was not expecting that, not by a longshot....
Jan 10, 2013 3:15 PM

Aug 2010
Those facial expressions.
Jan 10, 2013 3:17 PM

May 2012
Poor girl.. having a tragic childhood.. i like the guy's character..
Jan 10, 2013 3:17 PM

Apr 2011
Man, I hate those parents! Some man tears were shed...
11/10 for the first episode. I smell anime of the season...no maybe YEAR!
"I left everything I own in One Piece" ~ Gol D. Roger
Jan 10, 2013 3:22 PM
Oct 2010
Holy hell... I didn't expect such drama in a comedy. But it was really great.

... those messed up parents... and not just the parents, everyone was completely horrible to her... poor poor girl.

I liked how it was taken seriously, but I wonder if they can keep that up from here on.

If it manages to be a serious comedy, then it's going to be awesome. Though I don't mean it will be bad if it goes pure comedy... we shall see.
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Jan 10, 2013 3:24 PM

Jul 2010
It's rare for me to shed a tear but the beginning was able to do that to me. I just wanted to hug Haruka after all the crap she endured. As soon as the comedy aspect was introduced and quite suddenly, I couldn't stop laughing.

This anime feels like it will be one of the hidden gems of this season.
Jan 10, 2013 3:30 PM

Apr 2010
This was much better then i expected!!
I feel sorry for Haruka though i can understand the mothers feelings a bit especially after what the father did that guy is a sexist relic from a different period.
He didn't do anything to help out his family the moment trouble started he ran and on top of that he was fooling around with another woman.
He really is the worst kind of trash!

Haruka's mother tried at first but it got to much for her she had to handle everything all the trouble around her daughter.
The thing that was most sad about it was that she loved Haruka so much at first Haruka meant the world was her but after all the things that happened she ended up hating her till the point where she said that Haruka should never been born.
That scene was heartbreaking.

I hope Haruka's mother will make up with her a child needs her mother.
Jan 10, 2013 3:35 PM

Nov 2012
Aversa said:

I feel sorry for Haruka though i can understand the mothers feelings a bit

Same. Felt really bad for Haruka, but you think she would have realized soon enough that she was reading peoples minds and that perhaps she shouldn't be saying their innermost thoughts out loud.
Great show though.
niaxatoJan 10, 2013 3:51 PM
Jan 10, 2013 3:45 PM
Jun 2008
^
It is very hard to make friend knowing what they think.It is more difficult to stay with them knowing that one's friend are black hearthed all the time .Most people just wearing different kind of mask all the time. She just failed to learn to deal with it XD
but at least someone learn to deal with her ability lol
Jan 10, 2013 3:50 PM

Dec 2012
Kotoura parents such assholes. Its not like she knew what she was doing. But then again, she should have learned how to shut her trap >.>

Anyways lovely episode. Perfect mix of sadness and comedy. Harukas dirty thinking is really going to make this show shine. Can't wait for more

^_^
DarkjollyJan 10, 2013 6:38 PM
Jan 10, 2013 3:52 PM

Aug 2009
Amazing. What a powerful opening scene.
Jan 10, 2013 4:08 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
olboyfloats said:
ALL OF MY FEELS!!!
So far favorite of the season.

Without a doubt!!!
Jan 10, 2013 4:09 PM

Dec 2011
Man, i almost cryed with the first 8 minutes.

Those where strong
Jan 10, 2013 4:14 PM
Jan 2013
honestly I found the opening a bit annoying at the fact that no one noticed she had ESP after a thousand or so tries but other than that it was a very enjoyable episode I'm looking forward to the next episode.
Jan 10, 2013 4:19 PM

Jul 2009
Holy...shit. Based on the artwork and synopsis I was expecting some light hearted stuff like acchi kocchi. Like I know I read she caused her parents to split but I was not expecting something THAT heavy at the beginning. Jesus have never felt so much rage before...

Even now after watching the whole ep I have some anxiety/rage -_- cannot wait to watch this whole thing, hope there is a coupling by the end ^^
Jan 10, 2013 4:26 PM

Apr 2012
Kotoura-san first half was amazing, that colour scheme and the music fit perfectly. That was incredibly sad, however the second half came and the dark colour scheme was gone.

I would've liked the atmosphere in the first half to remain for majority of the anime however it would've seem like it was dragging out the drama, causing for melodrama if not done correctly. It brightened up too fast, looks like I'm in for a rom-com which isn't bad, but I prefer drama as shown in the first half.
Jan 10, 2013 4:38 PM

Apr 2011
Yup. I can't stop crying.
"I left everything I own in One Piece" ~ Gol D. Roger
Jan 10, 2013 4:40 PM
Feb 2012
Wasn't expecting the grimdark but I thoroughly enjoyed it. MC is an overreacting typical male lead with unnecessary screaming, but still likable.

Biggest fear is that it will devolve into typical SOLshit or romcom cliches with no interesting character development.
Jan 10, 2013 4:45 PM

May 2008
..Well that was unexpected, But still interesting first episode.
Jan 10, 2013 4:48 PM

Nov 2011

Holy hell, I did not expect the beginning like that for this series. My body was not ready especially after watching the promotional video. The first half was...just tear jerking:

The second half had a lot of comedy like I expected but wow, this episode was worth a 5/5 in my book. Quite a surprise tbh and definitely one of the better comedies of this season. gotta keep those dirty thoughts out of your mind now, huh Manabe-kun? ;)

6/5.
Stark700Jan 10, 2013 5:14 PM
Jan 10, 2013 4:54 PM

Oct 2011
A really good start, I like it, not so much about the art though,

Anyway, for a girl like her to endure so much since a little, no wonder she would break down mentally and become traumatic, losing your friends really hurt, even more so, her parents. She's actually kind of an oddball though, saying everything she heard. Still, even if she can read your bad thoughts, must you really treat her that way, like a monster, that's really mean.

Well, the main guy is ero-ero again, not that I dislike it, it'll make the show more lively. Let's see how this series get more interesting and funnier in the next 11 ep.
Signature
Jan 10, 2013 4:58 PM

Nov 2010
Best first episode this season so far. Judging from the OP the mother still has some role to play. Seeing the relationship they once had, I hope Kotoura makes up with her mother. But without a doubt, what the mother said is normally unforgivable (though Ataru (Urusei Yatsura) got to hear that same sentence each episode:D ). On the other hand the father was a jerk from the very beginning...

Seems Thursdays are the ones to look forward to this season.
Jan 10, 2013 5:03 PM

Dec 2012
very nice start 5/5
fucking hate the mother guts ( stupid cunt)
Jan 10, 2013 5:06 PM

Mar 2011
The premise looked so full of promise.

This introduction was so... poor. The girl is so plot conveniently stupid, even the dumbest of children will have learnt to avoid blurting out what they've just learnt like she does if they get spurned and punished every time they do it. It's basics! Negative reinforcement like that even works on dogs! Why is this child so retarded? Oh right, because otherwise this melodramatic situation will have never have come about.

If I'm honest, I actually felt for the mother, even if they did make her massively over exaggerate her inability to deal with it to force down our throats "OMG, look how hard a life she led! Brings a tear to your eye doesn't it? ..... WHY AREN'T YOU CRYING YET?!!". Having to deal with someone that incorrigibly stupid would drive me mad. Then again I would have dealt with it better, I suppose everyone in that family was stupid.

Lol what? What the hell was with that random asshole "You were feeding the kitten, what a pain! Never come back!".

And that graceful way they introduced the main character, the guy to resolve her problems:

This is about as subtle as the Gurren Lagann in the final episode, but wielding a hammer with the word "EMOTION" stamped on it. Yeh, about that subtle.

Anyway, so continuing on with the second half...

So she has become a self pitying idiot who still hasn't learned to control herself. If it weren't for how fake the other girl's reactions were, I'd almost empathise with them.

Okay, I quite like the guy at least, he fits the role he needs to well, and well, I can sort of imagine someone like him trying to cheer up a scrooge just for the fun of it. He is a bit too stupid for my liking, but I'll take the good bits where I can.

Yeh, I should, cause that next scene. "The driver didn't care that the light was red". My god that set up is so stupid it actually made me laugh. So a driver in a lorry was going to skip a red light, running over someone (because he must have seen them) in broad daylight. Yep, sure, that's realistic isn't it?

Overall

It's trying so hard to be emotional, endearing and heart warming, but the writing is absolutely shit, and it has no emotional subtlety, it likes to beat you down with it. Let me put it this way, the subtlety is worse than AnoHana was. Picture painted.
Jan 10, 2013 5:20 PM

Jul 2008
I really enjoyed the episode.

But I agree with some people about how Kotoura should have learned really early on to not talk back to people thinking about her or something. I don't get why she would keep doing it even after all the shit she went through.
Jan 10, 2013 5:47 PM

Apr 2009
Oh boy, time to enjoy a half-decent spiritual successor to Mitsudomo- WHAT THE FUCK
Jan 10, 2013 5:49 PM

Feb 2009
Well, that was a surprise. I only watched it on impulse, I didn't think it would actually be good!

Looking forward to further episodes now!
Jan 10, 2013 5:52 PM

Nov 2009
I wasn't planning to watch this, but this thread changed my mind. ;P
The first episode was really good! Or maybe it's just that I liked the main characters almost too much.

(THIS WAY FOREVER)
Jan 10, 2013 5:55 PM

Apr 2009
I'm really not liking the look of the next episode preview.

The suffering isn't over yet, I think.
Jan 10, 2013 5:59 PM

Jan 2008
Amarrez said:
I'm really not liking the look of the next episode preview.

The suffering isn't over yet, I think.

I think that's alright. If it went into a complete romcom route the rest of the series, it'll almost be as if that first half of this episode was for nothing.
Jan 10, 2013 6:01 PM

Sep 2011
I thought it was fantastic. The beginning really hit home for me at some points. Some of you guys are being such Negative Nancys about this anime. Take it easy.

For some reason, I sense almost a "Toradora" like anime (main male = Ryugi, main female = Taiga, glasses boy = glasses boy in Toradora, blue haired female = Ami) mixed with some "Madoka Magica" art. It's still great.
"Cheer up, you’re never alone! There is probably at least 1 bug in your room."
Jan 10, 2013 6:07 PM

Feb 2012
*watches first ten minutes* *reads "Comedy" tag*

Huh?!
Jan 10, 2013 6:07 PM

May 2010
not badddd. though i'm pretty sure this anime is just a mediocre romantic comedy. not too serious (by looks of next ep)
Jan 10, 2013 6:17 PM

Oct 2010
Wow man, I am over 20hrs past my time but managed to finish this.

Why first of all to all mothers like Haruka's mother: BITCHES DIE! YOU ARE SICK SHITS! You never leave a kid you so much bared less you one insane bitch to forsake her rights to any good but evil and pain down in hell or whatever evil place such mothers deserve. Oh I get the whole mindset. What I don't get is HOW STUPID you can be to give up and of all on your own kid.

Does not matter ESP or shits. I have seen deformed kids and read of their parents not giving them up so you give up on one due to their problems? As a parent you should help them to overcome them. READ BOOKS! Consult the right people. It's obvious all that was never done. It's obvious the mother/father were too stupid to use their brain in reading about ESP mind reading.

That being said I condemn them parents like that to hell. There is no other place of pain in my mind set for them.

This anime made me cry at the beginning out of sadness and rage at the unfairness from Haruka’s treatment by her parents to the end with the following,

Along with that handshake and Haruka’s happiness of having found a new friend and by such a great miracle of saving his life. Despite his perverted ways he is a great guy and I can only root for him as to Haruka and him falling in love. The man will take good care of Haruka, I know it and hope. So that part I teared up T_T but this time out of happiness for Haruka. This is quite the most astonishing emotional anime so far. I doubt anything will beat this yet. I have yet to see an anime to influence me that deeply emotionally.

It is yet to see.

I am glad I made the club so fast. Now I know why, cause this series really was worth having a club around fast cause it emotionally works on me and those kind of animes are good IMO.

I leave it for now like this. Maybe when I rest I develop it further in my club.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Jan 10, 2013 6:19 PM
Mar 2012
oh man...not sure what to sure, the beginning left me quite speechless. They put a lot of effort in establishing Haruka's character that I wish this series would focus more on that
Jan 10, 2013 6:23 PM

Dec 2010
This anime is okay. I give it a 6/10.

Like others said girl should have learned to shut up early on. The dramatic intro was also so fast paced that I feel they should have spent 1 episode on it instead of just half the episode. The main guy is also the typical idiot, but cool guy.

At least I feel like they are trying. Way better than the cliche anime with cliche characters saying cliche stuff.
Jan 10, 2013 6:28 PM

Oct 2012
InfiniteRyvius said:

it's not trying hard to be emotional. i loved the first episode and i didn't cry or feel sad, but i really enjoyed the writing and i don't think it deserves to be called "shit." just because most of the users here cried or got upset doesn't mean that's what the director intended to happen. i also don't think haruka deserves to be called retarded or a self pitying idiot. she was just a little child when she started hearing other people's thoughts, and she thought they were actually talking because she was a child and couldn't make sense of it. instead of her parents trying to understand and teach her how to control her ability, they abused her and abandoned her. after enduring abuse and abandonment from almost everyone she's ever met or known, including her parents, are you actually getting mad at her being cold and mean towards everyone around her? the writing actually makes sense here.
Jan 10, 2013 6:29 PM

Dec 2008
this was surprisingly good. hopefully it stays that way for the rest of the series
Jan 10, 2013 6:33 PM

Apr 2012
One of the best first episodes - if not the best - I've ever seen. It'll be difficult to hold that premise up the entire show. Especially for a RomCom.
It's rare to see such a well-thought-out yet simple backstory when introducing a character. Very well done here. The half drama - half comedy was pretty well worked out.
Manabe is pretty funny, too.
That makes it at least two anime which start this winter season that I am actually gonna look out for in anticipation for a new episode.
Jan 10, 2013 6:48 PM

Mar 2011
mokki said:
InfiniteRyvius said:

it's not trying hard to be emotional. i loved the first episode and i didn't cry or feel sad, but i really enjoyed the writing and i don't think it deserves to be called "shit." just because most of the users here cried or got upset doesn't mean that's what the director intended to happen. i also don't think haruka deserves to be called retarded or a self pitying idiot. she was just a little child when she started hearing other people's thoughts, and she thought they were actually talking because she was a child and couldn't make sense of it. instead of her parents trying to understand and teach her how to control her ability, they abused her and abandoned her. after enduring abuse and abandonment from almost everyone she's ever met or known, including her parents, are you actually getting mad at her being cold and mean towards everyone around her? the writing actually makes sense here.

You don't think it was trying to be emotional? Not even when she finds solace in that abandoned cat, which gets cruelly taken away by some random woman who also tells her to fuck off and never come back, leading her to have an emotional breakdown and scream? Not at all?

I call the writing "shit" because it gives us an unconvincing plot and some really poorly thought out plot devices. It also didn't lead up to the dramatic sessions well, though that's possibly a directing problem rather than a writing problem. I get that the mother and father were both horrible human beings, however you have to ask yourself, how? They are shown as initially loving people, but then they become assholes. Also, they apparently NEVER QUESTIONED her ability. Nope. Didn't take note of it at all. I'm not going to believe that. That is poor writing.

I get how she doesn't want to make friends, but the fact she still doesn't bother to restrain herself from giving responses based on peoples thoughts is.... it's like she's picking a fight with everyone, like she wants to be hated by everyone. There's a difference between having no friends and being hated. This is why I also say she's self-pitying.

Anything else?
Jan 10, 2013 6:50 PM

Nov 2012
Kind of like this anime. Seems pretty interesting. Looking foward for some comedy. It looks that Kotoura will have some trouble with Manabe's perverted mind.
Jan 10, 2013 6:58 PM

Jul 2012
Seriously, what the hell was this first episode?
Best one so far imo, looking foward to it!
Jan 10, 2013 7:00 PM

Jan 2011
what an amazing start, this might already be my favorite new show of the season
Jan 10, 2013 7:02 PM

Aug 2011
InfiniteRyvius said:
If that was your conclusion, you probably shouldn't watch anything drama, because you don't know how to identify when it's poorly written and when it isn't. And LOL @ your talking about its "writing." Oh, you.
Jan 10, 2013 7:05 PM

Sep 2012
I cried for the 1st 10 minutes... that's enough Haruka T.T you have won my heart T.T if it's any worth that is T.T
Pages (10) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bastek66 - Jan 17, 2013

300 by TecknicalWarrior »»
Apr 30, 10:29 AM

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2013

152 by _untitled »»
Apr 29, 7:29 AM

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 7, 2013

172 by _untitled »»
Apr 8, 7:55 AM

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 31, 2013

210 by _untitled »»
Mar 25, 9:06 AM

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2013

272 by SereniTeaHive »»
Mar 22, 4:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.