Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 10, 2017 1:19 AM

Jul 2008
Lol I love how they call Kyon so insignificant but continue to lay the fate of the world on his shoulders.

This is nuts.
Sep 16, 2017 5:34 PM

Sep 2013
Soooooo glad this series changed from what it seemed to be in the first 2 episodes. I almost dropped it early on, but it's turning out to be pretty interesting.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Sep 29, 2017 8:59 AM

Dec 2015
Wew! The ball has really started rolling with the past few episodes, I'm quite surprised with how they've created this potentially incredible plot out of seemingly nothing.

What I'm enjoying the most are Kyon's monologues, the narration is smooth like butter.
~
Oct 28, 2017 4:56 AM

Sep 2015
This series has definitely taken an interesting turn. Like Kyon I still find it hard to wrap my head around Haruhi creating the world. So are none of the characters real then? Is this all leading up to some twist ending where Haruhi's a terminal patient imagining what her life could be like? What are they going for with this? But the interesting exposition about the espers and sealed areas gave me some hope. That maybe it's all leading up to an interesting payoff.

I'm amazed at how well this series shifted. From seeming to be an SoL about chuunibyous. To an SoL with elements of supernatural mystery and even psychological thriller thrown in. Still kind of a dumb slice of life. But already delivering on way more than I expected it to.
Apr 6, 2018 3:22 PM

Sep 2017
Blue giant and the enclosed space episode.

The episode was philosophical and wasn't exciting. No fanservice or any of the other stuff. This whole anime reminds me of the ridiculousness from Durarara!!. If the next 2 episodes continue to be like this, it is gonna get boring real quick. There is not even a sense of danger. I think this should have been aired during night time because it made me fall asleep.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Apr 10, 2018 6:28 PM
May 2017
I didn't need reasons to have an existential crisis, but okay.
Sep 18, 2018 1:17 PM

May 2018
It's ironic that Haruhi wants the mysterious experience, while Kyon is getting to experience the mysteries.

"Are you intoxicated, or just insane?"
Mar 16, 2019 9:56 AM
Apr 2018
Haruhi's club was a total success after all: time traveler? Check. Alien? Check? Esp? Check.
Sep 17, 2019 8:43 AM
Dec 2017
i kinda like this one.. hope next ep hold something more then that
Sep 19, 2019 2:28 PM

Jun 2019
This went from "It's boring so far.." to "HOLY SHIT, THIS IS HYPERMEGAULTRA EXTREME HAHAHAHAHAAA." I like this closed space concept, and i hope it dosen't get frogotten, but Yuki-chan is the one, who i care about the most.
Oct 3, 2019 6:58 PM
Apr 2016
Kyon: Wha-
Asahina: That's classified.
Nov 15, 2019 9:08 AM

Feb 2019
So his name is Koizumi Itsuka.
Jun 7, 2020 7:52 AM

May 2018
lol each episode makes less sense than the last
Mar 13, 2021 6:59 PM

Jun 2014
The shinjin are definitely freaky. Itsuki showed Kyon all about it, and he's a bit freaked out. He can't really control Haruhi, so he's unsure of what to do.

Mar 17, 2021 2:21 AM
Jul 2018
Bout time for me to catch up.
Things are getting pretty interesting!
May 9, 2021 8:52 PM

Jan 2019
I find it strange that such a popular and influential anime has so little discussion on MAL. I mean, we're only on the second page of comments! I assume it is related to the odd episode release order.

I'm surprised more anime don't go for the straight up narration style, it works really well here.
Jul 21, 2021 8:21 AM

Aug 2020
[Chronological order, I think]

Nice, we get to know the last "special ability" from the group. This show keeps on getting more and more interesting.

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Jul 29, 2021 1:19 PM

Jan 2020
better than the episode last time. It was refreshing seeing questions and confusing bits be answered and I was a massive fan of that baseball part where she described the insignificance of an individual. I thought it was well done

Dec 23, 2021 5:31 AM

May 2020
[CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER]

So Nagato an alien, Mikuru a time-traveller and OnoD's character, Koizumi is an esper. And lol they really saying Haruhi's a god.

Fun episode, got more answers.
Softhenic03Dec 23, 2021 6:48 AM
Jan 30, 2022 12:55 PM

Dec 2007
yup, airing order is better in making mindfuck episode and then more normal episode that explains the previous one, i like it better.

from some reason i get the feeling that the only one who controls it's all is haruhi.
lol she probably wanted to go so much with kyon xD
Aug 30, 2022 9:25 PM

Nov 2020
Suzumiya is so annoying..

Dec 17, 2022 5:06 PM
Jul 2022
They do be talking
Jan 1, 2023 5:59 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Well thank you so much for very helpful explanation of things, mr. itsuki. I was definitely paying full attention the whole time.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Apr 20, 2023 7:09 PM

May 2018
So Haruhi gathered everyone she ever wished for in her club but she can't know about it, otherwise the world might be in danger. The fact that this anime is completely out of the ordinary always amuses me. Also, it's funny and cute at the same time how much she wanted to be with Kyon. I guess she really chose him to stay by her side.

Grant me one hour on love's most sacred shores
    To clasp the bosom that my soul adores,
    Lie heart to heart and merge my soul with yours
May 29, 2023 5:31 AM

Dec 2007
rewatch- chronological order- ep5

watching this chronological making clear this arc is reaching it's climax next episode.

kozumi is still one of the mysterious characters in this anime. his explanations are mind blowing lol. but they are apart of haruhi's mystery.
and haruhi "nerve" on the world is "normal". watching the anime already helping to know that's one of the parts of haruhi's mystery - it's all depends on haruhi's "beliefs".
Jul 8, 2023 5:05 PM

Aug 2019
That was a lot to take in, but I'm loving this! Suddenly so much from the last episode makes sense, but some things are still unclear, but I'm sure they'll make more sense further ahead. It sounds like Haruhi is God, and whatever she wishes for will become reality, which is why now we're got espers, time travellers and aliens. This has been pretty fun so far! It just sucks that these forums seem to be completely screwed due to some people not getting that the episodes here are in broadcast order, but oh well I guess
Feb 17, 10:21 PM
Feb 2021
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya V - Chronological Order
I love Haruhi's philosophy in this. In other words, I love Haruhi's reason for her Melancholy. I resonated a lot with Haruhi when she brought up everyone being like grains of rice. Billions of people in this world and it's crazy to think that you're not that special, you're not special at all. Everything you've ever done, someone's done before you. Does it really matter what you do? This is why i've loved this show for about four years now. I've been thinking this way since I was eleven. Remembering everything this anime has done to me and my way of thinking, it gives me the chills. Even remembering how all this ends and connects, it still gives me the chills. I love this episode, I love this anime. I love Haruhi and The SOS Brigade.
RubensMelancholyFeb 18, 11:32 AM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» "chronological order" and my utter disgust for it

Tsuna-Ryu - Apr 15

36 by YukariKatsuragi »»
Apr 16, 11:49 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 23, 2008

87 by Unoriginality »»
Apr 11, 9:50 PM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

abhin4v - Mar 2, 2008

93 by S4dnu »»
Apr 11, 5:47 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AgathaKazar - Jul 19, 2008

99 by S4dnu »»
Apr 9, 5:39 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Scribbly - Jul 26, 2008

101 by Alkimia »»
Feb 29, 9:02 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.