Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (16) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jan 31, 2013 2:51 AM

Sep 2012
Darkmatterx76 said:
At the end of the movie Asuka says something about the "L" field being to strong where they are and because of that Wille won't be coming to their rescue, so they'll have to walk home.

Does anyone have any info on what this "L field" is?

Also, I posted a bunch of screengrabs from the cam and put them under a spoiler tag in post #63 along with some questions about what is actually being shown on screen. A lot of them are from when Kaworu shows Shinji what the outside around Nerv HQ looks like now. No one gave me any answers to my questions or their own guesses of what the screengrabs are showing so I was hoping some people might go back and take a look.

Since no one said anything I wasn't sure if it was because no one had any idea what was happening either or if it was because the missed it since it was hidden under a spoiler tag.

Thanks.

welp i just had a look.

its completely obvious now. the world of TTGL and ROE have fused, that huge mouth thing is arc gurren lagann that big 'thing' is cathedral terra.

the evas have now combined.

they will verse cathedral terra and the EVA series from EOE as 1 combined unit of 00, 01, 02 and whatever model mari's unit is. (08?) and unit 06.

shinji pilots from the head section.

its combined form is called

NEON
GENESIS
EVANGELION.

team dai lilin
the battle takes place on the milky way galaxy,
how depressed do you think they are!?
Jan 31, 2013 7:47 AM
Jun 2012
lol
As funny as that sounds, I actually did consider that just last night. If you rewatch EoE its easy to see just how massive "Mega Rei" is. If you imagine a human standing somewhere on the surface of her body, they might have no idea that they aren't on a "planet." Of course that would largely depend on where they are.
So, could they be on a reborn lilith, or maybe on adam? I doubt they're on an eva because that would be.... I don't have a word for it, sorry. One small bit, at the end of the movie Mari told Shinji to, "get to know the world a little bit" but that could mean lots of things.

In the 3rd movie you do see Shinji's dad talking to what looks like a large, dead (maybe mummified?) Rei head. This sort of connects with the ending of the EoE movie except that in EoE the Rei head was much MUCH bigger and by the end we see it splitting in half and the 1 half sliding down into the ocean.

Since in the 3rd movie the Rei head explodes when Shinji pulls out the spears I think that the Rei head was decapitated off of the lilith body that had the spears in it. I think that she is a shrunk down version of the "mega Rei" from EoE. In NGE Adam was shrunk down to an embryo so its not so far fetched that "mega Rei" could also have shrunk.

Last thing. If you watch the end again you'll see that theres something on the other side of the Door of Gulf. It looks like a white halo but broken evenly into 4 sections. It seems to be trying to cross the boundary into "our universe" because it was far away when the door first opened but as the door closed you could see that it had almost made it to the door.

EDIT: I had an idea. I think the door leads to the "space/dimension" where people end up if they fuse with an eva core. Gendou only cares about getting Yui back, so everything he's doing must lead to that (or so he thinks.) If you rewatch the scene in the movie where you see Yui being placed into the core of Eva 01 they show her surrounded by a halo. Also, if you look at the core of Eva 01 just below her you'll see that the red sphere part is surrounded by a metal ring that has 4 small gaps in it that are evenly spaced around the core. That ring/spaces looks a lot like the 4 sectioned halo that is trying to get through the door of gulf.
Darkmatterx76Jan 31, 2013 10:12 AM
Jan 31, 2013 11:26 PM

Sep 2012
Darkmatterx76 said:
lol
As funny as that sounds, I actually did consider that just last night. If you rewatch EoE its easy to see just how massive "Mega Rei" is. If you imagine a human standing somewhere on the surface of her body, they might have no idea that they aren't on a "planet." Of course that would largely depend on where they are.
So, could they be on a reborn lilith, or maybe on adam? I doubt they're on an eva because that would be.... I don't have a word for it, sorry. One small bit, at the end of the movie Mari told Shinji to, "get to know the world a little bit" but that could mean lots of things.

In the 3rd movie you do see Shinji's dad talking to what looks like a large, dead (maybe mummified?) Rei head. This sort of connects with the ending of the EoE movie except that in EoE the Rei head was much MUCH bigger and by the end we see it splitting in half and the 1 half sliding down into the ocean.

Since in the 3rd movie the Rei head explodes when Shinji pulls out the spears I think that the Rei head was decapitated off of the lilith body that had the spears in it. I think that she is a shrunk down version of the "mega Rei" from EoE. In NGE Adam was shrunk down to an embryo so its not so far fetched that "mega Rei" could also have shrunk.

Last thing. If you watch the end again you'll see that theres something on the other side of the Door of Gulf. It looks like a white halo but broken evenly into 4 sections. It seems to be trying to cross the boundary into "our universe" because it was far away when the door first opened but as the door closed you could see that it had almost made it to the door.

EDIT: I had an idea. I think the door leads to the "space/dimension" where people end up if they fuse with an eva core. Gendou only cares about getting Yui back, so everything he's doing must lead to that (or so he thinks.) If you rewatch the scene in the movie where you see Yui being placed into the core of Eva 01 they show her surrounded by a halo. Also, if you look at the core of Eva 01 just below her you'll see that the red sphere part is surrounded by a metal ring that has 4 small gaps in it that are evenly spaced around the core. That ring/spaces looks a lot like the 4 sectioned halo that is trying to get through the door of gulf.

sounds plausible.

still
i prefer my TTGL crossover path.

lol
in all seriousness, theres quite a few fan theories that EOE was the end of the NGE world and TTGL took place several hundred/thousand years later in the same world. its plausible when you compare the world at the start of TTGL and the wold now that theres been another impact
Feb 2, 2013 12:31 PM
Jul 2010
God, I'm so unsure about this...
I don't usually watch mecha so it was only the popularity of Eva that made me watch the original series(first) and in the end, as everyone else, I fell in love with it because of its characters, complexity and background story and references in it, which obviously reqired a lot of previous reading. But the Rebuild series...
I just can't form an opinion about it. 1.0 was basically the same as the episodes it adapts, the improved art wasn't something that I looked into. I realised that Asuka wouldn't be in it yet, so it was a bit disappointing in that way.
2.0 was... different. Anno changed so much of the original that I loved, made Asuka shallow, made everything different. And started Third Impact in a completely different way than in EoE which made it confusing and I had to look at it as a completely new direction in the story, completely disgard the final 6-7 episode + EoE.
And 3.0... well, it was weird. Apart from the fact that the main characters were kinda missing, the new Mari(who I originally hated for just being new, then kinda accepted for being voiced by Mayaa Sakamoto) being a completely pointless character YET AGAIN and a few other things, it got the story... nowhere? Much of the explanations and flashbacks needed were non-existent(like how exactly would Kowaru make everything not be Shinji's fault)... maybe I just didn't get that, only one watch(a Camrip one) is obviously not enough, so I can't dare critisize the story, cause I didn't really get the point of it. But I think this movie should have been if not about how fucked up and broken the characters are, or at least were supposed to be, then more about everyone's plans for Third/Fourth Impact and explanations about it(since many people bill Rebuild as a "not so hard on the mindfuck and complexity" adaptation) but instead it was all about Kowaru. And don't get me wrong, he still is a great character, who I love just as much as anyone else on Evangelion) but... couldn't Anno do it for 20 minutes like in NGE instead of 90...
Feb 3, 2013 2:05 AM
Feb 2012
All I want is for 4.0 to be even more depressing than EoE and Original endings combined.

Sure the movie was a bit too rushed, lacked explanations and, well, mind ___ , but other than that, I liked that it was much more darker than 1.0 and 2.0.
Feb 3, 2013 2:45 AM

Sep 2012
NNick said:
All I want is for 4.0 to be even more depressing than EoE and Original endings combined.

Sure the movie was a bit too rushed, lacked explanations and, well, mind ___ , but other than that, I liked that it was much more darker than 1.0 and 2.0.

i recall hearing that 4.0 isnt heading for a mindfuck/grimdark ending that EOE had, and theyre going for something completely new
Feb 3, 2013 3:54 AM
Feb 2012
You never know, hopefully Anno trolls everyone again.

Everyone dies except for Shinji.
Feb 3, 2013 4:27 AM

Sep 2012
NNick said:
You never know, hopefully Anno trolls everyone again.

Everyone dies except for Shinji.

wouldnt put it past anno
Feb 3, 2013 5:38 AM

Apr 2012
Huh. So this movie is either love or hate, huh? Better lower my expectations quite a bit then.
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
Feb 3, 2013 6:15 PM

Sep 2010
@waterflame: You're thinking Rebuild has the same structure and main characters than NGE. That is trying to be like NGE when it was announced to intent to destroy and rebuild Evangelion. Kaworu has a larger role than some of the old main characters of Eva and there are "multiple Reis". Gendo is now the focus of the conflict with Shinji whose daddy issues got even deeper (thus SEELE fades in importance). These are movies are Shinji centric. It cannot and won't have the same character study of the tv series.

Gendo's plans are the force behind the plot of these movies (and are reliant on Shinji's despair and isolation). If you re-watch them and you'll understand how flawlessly linked everything is: Gendo summoned Shinji to pilot, Misato was put in charge of him (who bonded with Shinji due to her own father complex). Gendo later says he plans for Rei and Shinji to grow closer, what is what happens later? The focus is here. Asuka is only given a character and plot focus when she discusses Shinji's daddy issues in his futon and indirectly helps Rei in her plan to bring father and son together (the connection is clear again: Gendo). During Break, Gendo notices Kaworu in the Moon and declares his intention to object him. Kaworu acknowledges his existence. He stops the plans Gendo cooked in the ending. 3.0 is all about Gendo's scheme to kill him off and get a new awakened Eva (13) he wants to use for his plans in Final. Asuka, Shinji, Misato, Mari are all pieces of a board to accomplish this checkmate. Rei's absent because is part of Gendo's plan she's absent.

Whatever may come after the movie might study the rest of the cast (and I hope it does, because I also wish for them to develop without Shinji), but the story and plot (moved by Gendo's planning and Shinji's emotional despair) is perfectly coherent.

Pay attention to who has a connection to Gendo foreshadowed and you can bet for sure they will have a large part to play more than those who don't. This will spare you from disappointments. The structure is fairly simple to understand.
ThessFeb 3, 2013 6:36 PM
Feb 4, 2013 2:30 PM
Oct 2010
Ok I rewatched this for the 5th or so time now, and noticed something. When Fuyutsuki shows shinji the picture of his mom, doesn't the other woman in the picture look alot like mari?
Feb 6, 2013 4:50 PM

Feb 2010
GrimAtramentFeb 6, 2013 5:01 PM
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Feb 7, 2013 12:18 PM

Jul 2012
Everybody finds love in the end.
Feb 9, 2013 5:35 PM

Sep 2012
Emptiness_ said:
AlexanderSoryuu said:
Everybody finds love in the end.

...No.

you might be misunderstanding the quote

this is eva 3.0's ending song
http://www.tu.tv/videos/evangelion-3-0-q-you-can-not-redo_1
(all links with the original audio have been blocked from youtube)

listen to the English lyrics about halfway though the song, then near the end
Feb 10, 2013 4:47 AM

Jul 2012
skudoops said:
Ok I rewatched this for the 5th or so time now, and noticed something. When Fuyutsuki shows shinji the picture of his mom, doesn't the other woman in the picture look alot like mari?

Common theory is that she is a clone of Asuka's mother. Quite possible, but then again, so is the theory that Kaworu is Kaji's clone. Or Gendo's, since he calls him Father, but well, he doesn't resemble him a bit.

All we can do now is fanwank, since the third movie was smart enough to prepare a stage for what will probably be the grandest anime movie of the decade. By leaving out enough questions unanswered ( Though in all honesty, what's unanswered and what's not depends on viewers, you'd be surprised to see Japanase Eva fans, they completely ignore our burning questions and instead wonder about Misato's new glasses ), they're making Finale a must see for both those who hated and loved the third movie, which is a good move, really. Can't blame them for milking the franchise when the result is so awesome; if nothing, the third movie will forever be remembered for having the most awesome inner-space animated action sequence of, quite possible, all times.
Feb 11, 2013 2:06 AM

Sep 2010
Kaworu's remark to Gendo just a meaningless cultural thing you can take as ship-tease or simply knowledge he considers himself very close to Shinji. There is no genetic connection, because the donor was present when the contact experiment happened in NGE while Gendo wasn't around. He's not even a clone in this movie: he's the first angel.

If he was a clone of Kaji or Gendo, Shinji would have seen any resemblance. We should see a resemblance. He immediately calls his mother "Ayanami". Because they are identical. That's why she's a clone.

I don't think Mari is a clone. I believe the experiment can be Asuka. Mari seems uninvolved in the plans of Gendo and SEELE, while Asuka, Shinji and Rei were classified as Children of Fate who are following a script set by them since their birth. Kaworu is a non-brainier, he is counted too. Mari, though? She isn't given a child/girl/boy assignation.

If Mari were a clone, it would compromise the agency of freedom of fate and causing chaos to the predetermined Eva world that is assigned to her by Anno.
ThessFeb 11, 2013 2:22 AM
Feb 11, 2013 2:32 AM

Jul 2012
Thess said:

If he was a clone of Kaji or Gendo, Shinji would have seen any resemblance. We should see a resemblance. He immediately calls his mother "Ayanami". Because they are identical. That's why she's a clone.

If Mari were a clone, it would compromise the agency of freedom of fate and causing chaos to the predetermined Eva world that is assigned to her by Anno.

Agree, except that some people obviously did see a resemblance between Kaji and Kaworu, thus the theory. I by no means support any of those, though so don't take me wrong.

It's funny how people instantly thought Mari was the clone as soon as they seen the picture. The most obvious answer is that she's simply her daughter. Nothing more, nothing less.

Then again, it's all up in the air for the moment, we shouldn't go overboard with our assumptions, at least for now.
Feb 12, 2013 8:55 AM

Feb 2010
by the way gendou Godot call he wants his visor back

"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Feb 16, 2013 5:24 PM
May 2010
a silent thread, but anyways i've noticed there's been a lot of criticism of misato and how wille staff didn't brief shinji and treated him like shit. why the cold attitude hopefully would be explained in the 4th. i feel that had misato revealed to shinji what happened because of him, he would certainly lose control and go beserk. plus eva-01 did activate for 12 seconds and wille is probably nervous what could happen should shinji lose it. i would imagine shinji is treated badly because of the deaths he caused in 4th impact and some would say well misato egged him on. true, but 14 years is a big time jump. 14 years to grieve for who she lost, (kaji presumably), and unable to explain the loss, pushes the frustration on shinji. to her, shinji is like someone she believed to be dead, but suddenly materializes out. Look at it another way, imagine someone you cared for suddenly destroyed everything dear to you, kaji, penpen, and that person responsible "died" for 14 long years. You see the truth in NERV and you want someone responsible, so Shinji makes a pretty decent scapegoat, after all the "dead" cannot speak for themselves. Or you could also say it would be very very bizarre for misato to welcome shinji like she used to 14 yrs ago.
why shinji acted stupid and did not listen to others to not pull spears? to him, yesterday was rescuing rei and 3rd impact, he can't appreciate the 14 yr time skip, and he's desparately trying to change the world to a place more familiar to him instead of the new world he's reborn in.
this series is a lot darker, assuming many characters we know did die, and that there probably isn't much left in the world except the survivors at wille and nerv. it was mentioned that civilians are in wille so the world population left habitable is probably small. evangelion as a whole seems like a franchise where it's impossible to have a happy ending, and looks the same in these movies. shinji looks to rejoin wille here, having done enough for gendo. i find this movie to be in an interesting take on the franchise.
Feb 17, 2013 2:48 AM

Jul 2012
vlasic said:
a silent thread, but anyways i've noticed there's been a lot of criticism of misato and how wille staff didn't brief shinji and treated him like shit. why the cold attitude hopefully would be explained in the 4th. i feel that had misato revealed to shinji what happened because of him, he would certainly lose control and go beserk. plus eva-01 did activate for 12 seconds and wille is probably nervous what could happen should shinji lose it. i would imagine shinji is treated badly because of the deaths he caused in 4th impact and some would say well misato egged him on. true, but 14 years is a big time jump. 14 years to grieve for who she lost, (kaji presumably), and unable to explain the loss, pushes the frustration on shinji. to her, shinji is like someone she believed to be dead, but suddenly materializes out. Look at it another way, imagine someone you cared for suddenly destroyed everything dear to you, kaji, penpen, and that person responsible "died" for 14 long years. You see the truth in NERV and you want someone responsible, so Shinji makes a pretty decent scapegoat, after all the "dead" cannot speak for themselves. Or you could also say it would be very very bizarre for misato to welcome shinji like she used to 14 yrs ago.
why shinji acted stupid and did not listen to others to not pull spears? to him, yesterday was rescuing rei and 3rd impact, he can't appreciate the 14 yr time skip, and he's desparately trying to change the world to a place more familiar to him instead of the new world he's reborn in.
this series is a lot darker, assuming many characters we know did die, and that there probably isn't much left in the world except the survivors at wille and nerv. it was mentioned that civilians are in wille so the world population left habitable is probably small. evangelion as a whole seems like a franchise where it's impossible to have a happy ending, and looks the same in these movies. shinji looks to rejoin wille here, having done enough for gendo. i find this movie to be in an interesting take on the franchise.

All of this. Finally someone with some brain. I agree with you on basically every point, and would only like to add that Anno's using a classic Japanese storytelling technique which requires things getting out of hand/insane in the third act, thus the heavy feeling of confusion.
Feb 18, 2013 5:58 AM

Jun 2011
AlexanderSoryuu said:
All of this. Finally someone with some brain. I agree with you on basically every point, and would only like to add that Anno's using a classic Japanese storytelling technique which requires things getting out of hand/insane in the third act, thus the heavy feeling of confusion.

If you say so. It seems like something Anno would do, that's for sure, but I'm not sure I like it. Hopefully things come full circle in 4.0, and 3.0 will make sense in the end.
And what if all love is an act of bravery?

Could you look me in the eye and say that you are not afraid?

Feb 18, 2013 1:23 PM
Oct 2010
BR is coming out april.. thank goodness!
Feb 19, 2013 11:43 AM

Jul 2012
Reaper71 said:
If you say so. It seems like something Anno would do, that's for sure, but I'm not sure I like it. Hopefully things come full circle in 4.0, and 3.0 will make sense in the end.

I know what you mean, but sadly ( Or fortunately, depends on how you feel on that matter ) Japanese audience has always been his main focus, thus us Westerners will never be completely satisfied with certain directions this franchise takes.

skudoops said:
BR is coming out april.. thank goodness!

Source, please. :)
Feb 19, 2013 9:34 PM
Feb 27, 2013 8:55 PM

Feb 2013
i agree with some, shinji was abused hard in this one. i hope all questions about wille and nervs plans come to light in 4.0
Mar 7, 2013 8:26 AM

Oct 2008
hazerddex said:
by the way gendou Godot call he wants his visor back

He took KEEL's visor instead.
>User since 2008
Please god help me quit this website.

Such great community that doesn't even know how demographics work, AND gives """detailed"""" reviews after first episodes.

Mar 7, 2013 9:28 PM

Dec 2012
Meh something's doesn't add up.. I mean first how did Unit 1 ended up in space in a box? The preview from 2.0 shows that Unit 1 was impaled on earth. Second, Did the 3rd impact fully happened? I know that it was prevented by Nagisa Kaworu by spearing Unit 1 thus closing the gate of guf. but on 3.0 it wasn't prevented? I have a hunch that EVA Q and EVA 3.0 are totally different from each other
CONS ATTENDED
Anime Revolution 2012 ,Sakura-Con,Anime Expo,Dragon-con
Cosplayed as: Zeref: Fairy tail, Haku:Naruto, Gin:Bleach, Rin Okumura: Ao no Exorcist
Interested in: Cosplaying and Photography
Mar 9, 2013 3:18 PM
Oct 2012
When do you think Evangelion 3.0 is getting an english dub?
Mar 20, 2013 11:23 AM
Jan 2012
Sorry, Im trying to limit how much spoilers i read so I havn't gone through all the posts on this topic.

But I was wondering how the love interest thing plays out with all his interests being in their late 20's now if he hasn't aged.
Mar 22, 2013 10:31 PM

Jul 2012
There really isn't much of an interaction between his love interests in the film, to be honest, so we don't know yet.
Apr 6, 2013 10:00 PM
May 2010
BlackLegionnaire said:
Meh something's doesn't add up.. I mean first how did Unit 1 ended up in space in a box? The preview from 2.0 shows that Unit 1 was impaled on earth. Second, Did the 3rd impact fully happened? I know that it was prevented by Nagisa Kaworu by spearing Unit 1 thus closing the gate of guf. but on 3.0 it wasn't prevented? I have a hunch that EVA Q and EVA 3.0 are totally different from each other

There are many questions to answer in 3.0, and all 3.0 did was create more questions. All I know is that unit 1 was "captured" by Asuka and Wille. This means it was not in their possession and Unit 1 belonged to NERV. Why in a box in space? Seems like it was guarded (by the angel) and being delivered back to earth, presumably from the moon (you don't launch an eva into space for no reason). Gendo probably anticipated this, or rather expected it to happen, knowing it would draw Shinji out of Unit 1, who he needed to further his plans. I'm guessing unit 1 was on the moon for safekeeping for some reason, maybe b/c it was volatile, dangerous, is yet to be explained. 3rd impact did happen, but Kaworu minimized the damage of it, but there's not much left on earth. I know also Gendo plays to win, and everything goes according to plan or is acceptable. He's a calculating character who is always steps ahead of everyone else, so he perhaps allowed Wille to capture Unit 1.

Rhodric said:
Sorry, Im trying to limit how much spoilers i read so I havn't gone through all the posts on this topic.

But I was wondering how the love interest thing plays out with all his interests being in their late 20's now if he hasn't aged.

vlasicMay 3, 2013 5:26 PM
Apr 23, 2013 4:50 PM

Sep 2011
shiiiit so many stuff happened

well one i was kinda annoyed that Misato was being so damn cold to Shinji and making him even more confused with the situation. Tho with all the shit that happen during the 14 years i guess its kinda understandable.
and god fuuuucking damn @ Sakura
Toji's imouto cant be this cute... lol
good to see Asuka is doing better then her TV and EoE counterpart and not enough Mari god dammit

Shinji got fucked big time
tho hopefully the depression wont be bad like in the one shown in the movie
Asuka not in a mental breakdown and Rei is starting act on her own so i do see some possible hope with those two help him get back on his feet
unless Anno gonna fuck with Shinji again

and see you later Kaoru... in the next movie as a ghost maybe and in the next SRW game with the 3rd and last movie storyline.
Apr 23, 2013 5:26 PM

Sep 2012
i dont think any comment can adequately summarize what you will get out of 3.0

safe to say though, it makes 1.0 and 2.0 essentially irrelevant, or lacks the explanation to even tie them together, you could have skipped the first 2 films and still be on the same level of understanding as someone who has seen the series, EOE, and 1.0/2.0

just..i dont know anymore.

fuck. make 4.0 and explain 3.0 away as some sort of vision of shinji that happened during 3rd impact in 2.0 and for the love of god make sure you give us a real MP eva battle, i know that ever since 2.0 the previews for the next movie never come to be, but that PV for 4.0 was whack. like fuck.

all they had to do was deliver the movie from the 2.0 preview.

thats all they had to do.
Apr 23, 2013 5:45 PM

Feb 2013
I guess this is either a love or hate it movie. As a fan of the previous two Evangelion films, I genuinely liked this installment. Sure, I would liked for many of questions to be answered about the movie but I am hopefully the will be answered in 4.0. The music is phenomenal and so is it animation. In the end, I don't love it but I don't hate it either. I am more in the middle.
Apr 23, 2013 5:48 PM

Jun 2012
i would agree with Kaiser above me, I've heard nothing but negative things about this movie and went into it thinkign it was gonna be god awful. However, I can honestly say i Enjoyed it. Sure it wasnt as great as the original series or 2.2, but it was not nearly as bad as everyones making it out to be. Hopefully the 4th movie clears some things up. regardless, I will eagerly be waiting for the final installment and will definitely be purchasing this once its released in the states .
Apr 23, 2013 6:05 PM
Oct 2010
I'm fairly certain from the script got an entire re-write (for better or worse) judging by the preview at the end of 2.22 and the actual content in 3.33, although I think the same was from 1.11 to 2.22. 3.33 isn't so much confusing, it just presents so many questions and very few answers, I really hope they tie it in with 4.0. :|
Apr 23, 2013 6:25 PM

Oct 2008
Whoa, I thought the HD would make it better but it's really, really horrible. It killed the animated franchise for me, if anything I'll watch 4.0 out of duty.
>User since 2008
Please god help me quit this website.

Such great community that doesn't even know how demographics work, AND gives """detailed"""" reviews after first episodes.

Apr 23, 2013 8:08 PM
Oct 2010
There were quite a few scenes added in the final 1/3rd from what I remember.
Apr 23, 2013 8:10 PM

Sep 2012
i didnt have a huge problem with the film, but they kinda just threw away 2 of the best anime movies ive ever seen in buildup straight down the drain, did a timeskip and now everything is just...wat

evas are no longer rare things. theres heaps of them, and if we go by a certain few scenes

im still not actually sure what i think of this movie.

skudoops said:

couldnt have been, i used the camrip subs muxed straight onto the bluray rip. if that were the case, the timing would be way off, it was synced perfectly all the way to the end, including the 4.0 pv
Apr 23, 2013 8:14 PM
Oct 2010
eldest said:
i didnt have a huge problem with the film, but they kinda just threw away 2 of the best anime movies ive ever seen in buildup straight down the drain, did a timeskip and now everything is just...wat

evas are no longer rare things. theres heaps of them, and if we go by a certain few scenes

im still not actually sure what i think of this movie.

skudoops said:

couldnt have been, i used the camrip subs muxed straight onto the bluray rip. if that were the case, the timing would be way off, it was synced perfectly all the way to the end, including the 4.0 pv

It's probably bad memory since I watched it a while back, but I don't remember some of the scenes in the final 1/3rd.
Apr 23, 2013 8:36 PM

Sep 2010
They really amped up the Kaworu/Shinji.
Apr 23, 2013 9:04 PM

Apr 2013
wtf did i just watch... 1.1 and 2.2 were friggin' amazing! THIS... this has me smashing my head in frustration! At this point i wish i could step into Shinji's shoes for just long enough to pull some Guren Lagan shit by throwing the planet into the sun just as a big "SCREW YOU ALL!" to everyone.
Apr 23, 2013 9:22 PM

Feb 2012
After just finished watching this, I believe this to be a bad dream. I'll wake up and have the real movie.. right?? RIGHT!? I won't repeat what everyone else has said that was bad about it, but at least the action scenes were pretty neat.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 23, 2013 9:28 PM

Sep 2012
cephilis said:
After just finished watching this, I believe this to be a bad dream. I'll wake up and have the real movie.. right?? RIGHT!? I won't repeat what everyone else has said that was bad about it, but at least the action scenes were pretty neat.

eva 4.0 starts with shinji having a nice chat with rei and karowu and saying 'this is one of the worlds i could have imagined (ala that SOL scene in episode 25 or 26 showing possible timelines. then we cut back to EOE and 4.0, with shinji seeing this outcome, changes 3rd impact
Apr 23, 2013 9:33 PM

Jan 2012
Excuse me if this has been posted before, but this is just my humble observation...

Unfortunately, what the film lacks is ultimately what the latter half of Neon Genesis lacked before it concluded: explanation-- and as opposed to the series, we're not getting a new episode in a week. I may very well be wrong, but it is just my guess that this film was heavy with 'unknowns' so they could be solved in the fourth film. Otherwise, what's the point of having four? Just saying.

Putting this at a seven for now, but if I'm proven right it'll go up based on the context. Good film. A little weird on the yaoi-hints there, but I can't really complain since it was limited and Neon Genesis featured the same.
Apr 23, 2013 9:40 PM
Oct 2010
eldest said:
cephilis said:

eva 4.0 starts with shinji having a nice chat with rei and karowu and saying 'this is one of the worlds i could have imagined (ala that SOL scene in episode 25 or 26 showing possible timelines. then we cut back to EOE and 4.0, with shinji seeing this outcome, changes 3rd impact

Honestly that was one of the rumours flying around. I hope it's something like that haha, although if they manage to somehow pull it off using this twist that'd be quite a bit better.
Apr 23, 2013 10:54 PM

Dec 2012
Motherfucking incredible.

Can't wait to see what happens in 4.0, hopefully it lives up to the hype like 3.0 did for me.
Apr 24, 2013 1:10 AM
Dec 2011
It starts off great just to bad it doesn't carry that through the movie. I have read mixed reviews some speak highly of it while others do not. Sadly I relate to the later of the two. I wanted to like it, but after watching it twice I don't have a need to waste any more time for a third watch to try and understand it. One of the reviews on the site said that they wasted their budget on the opening scene and I might have to agree. Can someone explain to me what happened to the movie that was in the preview of 2.0? Now that looked like a good movie. It feels like to me they had originally meant this to be a trilogy and decided that they were making good money so they should milk it with this movie. I don't know if that was really the case, but if someone knows this was suppose to be a trilogy it would be nice to hear it.

As for the movie itself it by no means lives up to the other 2 in my opinion. I thought that 1.0 and 2.0 were dare I say the best entries of the franchise. This one starts with a beautiful opening and goes down hill fast. The quality of the animation is the same though we get no great battle baring the beginning and a decent scene at the end. It's biggest failure is it doesn't make any sense to me. It maybe my ignorance, but I understood very little. I mean Evangelion has always been confusing. I have had to watch it over and over to understand it and that is with help from cliff notes. I guess it maybe an "artistic" choice to have the viewers just as confused as Shinji, but with something as confusing as this franchise tends to be I don't think that is the best direction.

Shinji wakes up not knowing anything except nobody likes him. And I mean really truthly nobody likes him. Shinji has always been the woe is me emo guy, but in this movie I feel it is justified. They explain nothing of any importance to him. If he asks a question they tell him to shut up and/or that they don't need him. And oh yea they strapped a freaking bomb to his neck. He may whine and complain a lot. He can be a pain in the ass sometimes, but at least when it counted he tried to help and protect everyone.

That is the most disappointing thing. With no one telling Shinji anything we get no real character interaction meaning that most characters get very little screen time and even less lines. Except for Kaworu and that again maybe the direction they wanted. Having only Kaworu as a companion, but still we get no real character development with him. I wasn't all that attached to him when he had his head blown off. I always hated Shinji in the other entries into the franchise. He was just so negative and babyish, but in this I sympathized with him. Again maybe what they wanted? But even that went out in the end. Kaworu tells him how to change things and when something seems wrong he tells him not to. But does Shinji listen to the only person that seemed to care about him in this whole movie? Of course not this is Shinji we are talking about.

I have my gripes about this movie. This one was slow and confusing making it overall boring. I loved the first 2 and as someone said they should have ended it at that. It wasn't even the same one we were shown at the end of the second and I hope the forth clears things up or at least is a good watch regardless of content. It should be filled with gorgeous action scenes with Willie and Nerv facing off, but who knows if it is like this one it maybe be an entirely different movie than the one we are told. I hope this doesn't go the way of the series and they give us crap the last two episodes. The forth maybe an entirely incoherent dream. Someone said that you should wait on the forth movie before judging this one but I don't think that's entirely accurate. To rate a movie you have to take it at face value, correct? I mean yes you maybe confused if you only see The Two Towers and not The Fellowship, but it is still an enjoyable movie none the less. 2.0 would have been a good watch even if you did not see 1.0. You maybe scratching your head, but you could get into it to some degree. With this one you could have left after the first 5 or 10 minutes and not missed anything. Wow long post sorry if you are reading this. Just my opinion. Here's hoping to 4.0 being a high point, so we can treat this as a bad dream or something.
Apr 24, 2013 1:19 AM
Apr 2012
At first amazed,than disappointed.But,still,
5 out of 5: Loved it!.
P.S. I hate you Ikari Shinji kun.

Apr 24, 2013 1:29 AM

Oct 2011
AH

AHHHHH

OH GOD MUSN'T READ ANYTHING NAVIGATING HERE WAS DANGEROUS

GOOD GOD THE INTERNET IS A FUCKING MINEFIELD OF SPOILERS FUCK ME WHY DO SO MANY OF YOU SPEAK FLUENT JAPANESE!?
Pages (16) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» I am Deathly Afraid of Evangelion

DoctorOddball - Aug 29, 2023

2 by DoctorOddball »»
Aug 29, 2023 6:10 PM

» How do you feel about Shinji??

SwagDemonMan - Oct 15, 2014

24 by DoctorOddball »»
Aug 29, 2023 6:06 PM

» Evangelion 3.0 explained (attempt to) [SPOILER]

GuidSMR - Apr 18, 2023

5 by DoctorOddball »»
Aug 29, 2023 6:05 PM

» So is Evangelion 3.0 really that bad? ( 1 2 )

DeusAnima - Oct 6, 2013

75 by Jun_Rei »»
Jul 12, 2022 5:36 AM

» Should I rewatch Evangelion before watching this

Vai03 - Jun 27, 2022

19 by Vai03 »»
Jun 30, 2022 9:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.