Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Higurashi When They Cry: Festival Accompanying Arc
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jun 19, 2010 7:35 PM

Jun 2009
Oishi FINALLY gets killed. Epic way to die. Headshot :D
Jul 3, 2010 2:11 PM

Dec 2009
Ooishi got shot :o ! Yay ! <3 Finally he dies too !
Jul 10, 2010 7:11 AM

Mar 2010
Ohh.Well, the "Tokyo" part i get, the disease i get, the madness i get..
But i don't get the parallel words thing and the Queen carrier thing..I think these two elements are lame excuses, because the writers couldn't think of anything better..
Aug 25, 2010 7:25 PM

Jan 2008
Holy shit.. Satoko pushed her parents off the cliff!!

This episode answered a lot of questions.

I actually liked Ooishi in this arc so it was sad to see him die.
Sep 13, 2010 6:08 AM

Jan 2010
Damn I really hate Ooishi! Most of the time he's just either being a useless idiot or a heartless jerk, and now that he could finally make himself useful he manages to get sniped! That guy does everything wrong, even dying, for pete's sake!
Oct 13, 2010 6:10 PM

Dec 2008
I had a feeling when Kuma-chan and Ooishi got out of the car and walked up to those guys in the van, they'd wind into something bad. Despite that, I still was shocked when they got sniped. o______o;;

BOOM, HEADSHOT! YOU JUST GOT SNIPED!

...Okay. Out of my system.

But WOW did this episode explain a LOT about Hinamizawa Syndrome, hence the episode's title. Next episode looks exciting too, and as always, LOL at the episode preview. "Be more open minded and soon those sexual harrassment issues will turn into feelings of love!" Always a good thing to learn. Ohhhhh, Rika. XDDD
Nov 13, 2010 9:47 PM

Sep 2010
like the info flow - Rika is the queen carrier, and her survival prevents the deterioration caused by the Hinamizawa syndrome.
Keiichi and friends vs Yamainu, I WONDER WHO WILL WIN. But seriously, it was fun while it lasted.
At least now we know that Takano is the key to stopping the endless massacres.

and lol Ooishi gets a headshot (his fat face makes a easy target :D)
For once Ooishi needs to be alive and he died ... talk about irony

Nov 23, 2010 3:58 PM

Jul 2009
So we learn that it was a gas explosion at all that killed everyone in the village (which was implied in the first episode and was fairly obvious anyway). I wonder what it was that Satoko remembered about her parents' death? Maybe something to do with the Hinamizawa syndrome.
Dec 20, 2010 9:15 AM

Nov 2009
NO! how can you have a happy world without Ooishi?! but on the good side Rika finally told every1 about whats happening... and i finally understand everything! man im so upset that Ooishi died! that just means that theres gonna be another world XP that sucks! Well i hope everything will be solved again... and i hope they clear Irie's name! it wasnt him it was Takano! get some police to the clinic! HIYAKUN! lol anyway nice epi ^^
Feb 15, 2011 1:55 AM

Oct 2010
Of course the one time i dont want Ooishi to die hes the first to go. typical
Mar 30, 2011 2:52 PM

Oct 2010
this is all fitting in, it makes a lot of sense now, yay for Keiichi and his friends for being so cool, i wonder how it will go wrong this time.
Jun 18, 2011 6:54 PM

Jun 2010
communiist said:
Of course the one time i dont want Ooishi to die hes the first to go. typical

Technically third, Tomitake and Irie are dead. But details, details :P
Jul 1, 2011 8:38 AM

Oct 2010
shit, oishi got headshot!!! >.<
another fine ep!!!!
Sep 24, 2011 11:57 AM

Jul 2011
A few things I am guessing. Okay so Hanyuu has to be "Oyashiro" right? I mean she took over Rena's body (after Rena had claimed she could hear footsteps assuming those would be Hanyuu's) . Every time Oyashiro is talked ill of Hanyuu gets upset and when Rika mentions the curse, Hanyuu clams up quickly. Another thing I believe this organization is going to use the Telephone tower to somehow spread the disease. Also, since this is the end of the arc, will Rena survive? Since at the begging it showed her adult form saying everyone was dead. Also, The whole Rika "Queen" thing doesn't make sense. Akasaka and Oishi end up being fine and so does Rena. Is Rika full of it or is there a reason for this?
Feb 24, 2012 11:28 AM
Sep 2011
Oishi dead :(
Mar 16, 2012 4:15 PM

Apr 2011
going off of what EOTW said, then that explains why those who are cursed feel like they are always being watched.
they are being watched by Hanyuu ?!

oh and
"Irie is the type of person to be used"
hahaha~
Mar 16, 2012 6:49 PM
Dec 2007
EOTW said:
A few things I am guessing. Okay so Hanyuu has to be "Oyashiro" right? I mean she took over Rena's body (after Rena had claimed she could hear footsteps assuming those would be Hanyuu's) . Every time Oyashiro is talked ill of Hanyuu gets upset and when Rika mentions the curse, Hanyuu clams up quickly. Another thing I believe this organization is going to use the Telephone tower to somehow spread the disease. Also, since this is the end of the arc, will Rena survive? Since at the begging it showed her adult form saying everyone was dead. Also, The whole Rika "Queen" thing doesn't make sense. Akasaka and Oishi end up being fine and so does Rena. Is Rika full of it or is there a reason for this?
Rika is not possed by Hanyuu but let's put that aside, The main answer to your inquiries, which doesn't get outright spelled out ever is that the Hinamizawa Syndrome is true but the effects were blatantly exxagerated by an outright obssesed Takano Miyo. The loss of the Queen would indeed make the infected more prone to going insane under duress, but anyone living a normal life without a lot of stress or emotional shock would never experiment symptoms. You'd have to go under severe shock like, Rena during the divorce of her parents, for that to happen. Also, some people are more prone to fall ill than others. Keiichi, Rena, Satoko and Shion all go insane at some point, but Mion never breaks down (and yes, this is confirmed in the visual novel by Rika herself).

And a little interesting fact the anime never bothered to add. I'll add it in spoilers in case someone wants to read the Visual Doujins instead, keep in mind this is never explicitly said in the anime.
Leon-GunMar 16, 2012 7:08 PM

Apr 27, 2012 11:14 PM
Jun 4, 2012 3:37 PM

Feb 2010
Well... sh*t...
It's not breaking in if the door is unlocked.

Jun 30, 2012 10:07 AM

Jul 2010
Wow. Ooishi!!! I used to hate you, but now I'm so sad D; I don't think this world is going to wwork out anymore :( But I'm sure Rika has some tips on what to do now ;D
Jul 7, 2012 9:34 AM

May 2012
Damn sad Ooishi got killed :/
Jul 7, 2012 11:07 AM

Mar 2012
Ooshi will be back, this won't be the last arc...hope they can save Tomitake and Irie as well.
Jul 21, 2012 5:58 PM

May 2012
windy said:
KUMA-CHAN ;____;
He FINALLY shows up then gets SNIPED how cruel :(

Loved the kid's teamwork this ep, wish I had great friends like that. (lol anime)

Also effing lol'd hard when Rika explained about the "i'm sorry i'm sorry i'm sorry" thing Hanyuu does.
Heee-larious.
Hope the next one airs asap!

The sniping part made me sad... I liked this Ooishi.
Aug 2, 2012 11:17 AM

Oct 2011
It's sad that Ooishi is dead :(
Aug 6, 2012 7:14 AM

Dec 2011
So... in the arcs where Keiichi, Shion or Rena suffer from Hinamizawa Syndrome are when they are "away" from Rika-chan? How does that make any sense though? She was right there with them all the time exuding her "pheromones" (that queen bee analogy made me chuckle tbh).
“I’m tired of all the nonsense about beauty being only skin-deep. That’s deep enough. What do you want – an adorable pancreas?”

Aug 6, 2012 7:44 AM
Dec 2007
Divy said:
So... in the arcs where Keiichi, Shion or Rena suffer from Hinamizawa Syndrome are when they are "away" from Rika-chan? How does that make any sense though? She was right there with them all the time exuding her "pheromones" (that queen bee analogy made me chuckle tbh).
Hinamizawa Syndrome works two ways: the victim is away from the area for too long, or the victim suffers a major shock. The first case hardly ever comes into case by the time the story takes place (hence why people stopped believing in the Shrine God's Curse for a long while). The Second case is what applies to Keiichi, Rena and Satoko. Keiichi also suffered the "stress from leaving Hinamizawa" bit too. In the first arc (in the visual novel) when he's in his previous hometown he kept hearing a girl saying "I'm sorry" hence indicating he was suffering mild symptoms. When he goes into crazy mode however it is because he fell to stress from different reasons (in the first arc it was his distrust of everyone, in the third arc it was his hate for Teppei).

For Rena it's pretty easy. She broke down because of her mom's cheating on her dad and leaving. As for Satoko, her parents physically abused her, and so did her uncle and aunt. That was enough to bring forth the symptoms.

In Summary: Hinamizawa Syndrome can be brought forth by severe stress brouht forth by different reasons. This is part of the reason why the village had very hard set rules, to ensure the villagers would treat each other well and had relatively normal lives without much pressure.

When RIka mentioned the whole "You are okay because you're near me" part and the Queen Bee thing, it was just so they would realize how the SYndrome works. There's a little bit of supernatural mixed into it too, you just don't know it yet.
Leon-GunAug 6, 2012 7:48 AM

Aug 6, 2012 9:08 AM

Oct 2011
Leon-Gun said:
Divy said:
The Second case is what applies to Keiichi, Rena and Satoko. Keiichi also suffered the "stress from leaving Hinamizawa" bit too. .

Keiichi moved to Hinamizawa and stabilized there ... he didn't leave Hinamizawa at all .
Aug 6, 2012 12:21 PM
Dec 2007
loub31 said:
Leon-Gun said:
Divy said:
The Second case is what applies to Keiichi, Rena and Satoko. Keiichi also suffered the "stress from leaving Hinamizawa" bit too. .

Keiichi moved to Hinamizawa and stabilized there ... he didn't leave Hinamizawa at all .
He did. At the very beginning he leaves Hinamizawa for about 2-3 days for the funeral of a relative. This is when he suffers mild symptoms. The anime mentions it a little (Mion mocks him as the city boy and asks for souvenirs remember?) but it doesn't show the scene I reference. In The Visual Novel the very first scene of the first arc is Keiichi on a train returning home and mentioning some things, among them he keeps mentioning at several times that a girl keeps crying and crying for forgiveness and he ends with "I wish they would just forgive her". This are clear signs of Hinamizawa Syndrome and the voice he hears is the very same voice Rena heard when she had her breakdown before going to Hinamizawa.
Leon-GunAug 6, 2012 12:28 PM

Aug 6, 2012 1:46 PM

Oct 2011
Leon-Gun said:
loub31 said:
Leon-Gun said:
Divy said:

He did. At the very beginning he leaves Hinamizawa for about 2-3 days for the funeral of a relative. This is when he suffers mild symptoms. The anime mentions it a little (Mion mocks him as the city boy and asks for souvenirs remember?) but it doesn't show the scene I reference. In The Visual Novel the very first scene of the first arc is Keiichi on a train returning home and mentioning some things, among them he keeps mentioning at several times that a girl keeps crying and crying for forgiveness and he ends with "I wish they would just forgive her". This are clear signs of Hinamizawa Syndrome and the voice he hears is the very same voice Rena heard when she had her breakdown before going to Hinamizawa.

mmm ... .. I dont remember , may be I have forgot it .
But there's something strange ... To go to the new Hinamizawa , Rika must be killed "it's a condition" ... but in Keiichi and Rena arcs Rika was not killed ... like the first arc : it end by Keiichi clawed his throat and died after that ... in that time what was the reason to move to the new hinamizawa world ??! " Rika was not killed in that time "
Aug 6, 2012 4:18 PM
Dec 2007
loub31 said:

But there's something strange ... To go to the new Hinamizawa , Rika must be killed "it's a condition" ... but in Keiichi and Rena arcs Rika was not killed ... like the first arc : it end by Keiichi clawed his throat and died after that ... in that time what was the reason to move to the new hinamizawa world ??! " Rika was not killed in that time "
No, she was killed in both of those arcs, it's confirmed in the game by this stage of the story (well, in Keiichi's arc it is implied, and in Rena's arc Akasaka Mamoru returns to Hinamizawa and he confirms that Rika was found dead the morning after the incident with Rena in the epilogue section of her arc). The thing is, the only one who "moves on" is Rika. Everyone else remains in the old world so every world that got "messed up" remains messed up and the only one getting out willy nilly is Rika. So every world Rika saw go to hell remains like that and the people she left behind had to live their lives from that point on. Something they kind of skimmed in the anime i "why" Rika was so dark and gloomy in this particular arc in Kai. By this stage of the story her emotions were slowly dying. Mentally she was just not caring anymore. Everyone was just there, just strangers who would die eventually somehow. She was even phoning in her Nii-pah's and smiles. Before she tells everyone about the truth there's an scene where she monologues about what happenned to the old worlds and she admits she stopped herself from caring about everyone because she didn't want to believe her friends have died over and over and that in those worlds that was the truth.

There are two worlds, however, that she dies and no one is killed nor no one goes insane (Shion aside). Those two are Shion's arcs where in one Shion kills her and the other she commits suicide.
Leon-GunAug 6, 2012 4:33 PM

Aug 7, 2012 1:20 AM

Dec 2011
@ Leon-Gun: Thanks for clearing that up =P
“I’m tired of all the nonsense about beauty being only skin-deep. That’s deep enough. What do you want – an adorable pancreas?”

Aug 12, 2012 4:06 PM

Nov 2011
Aww Ooishi....poor guy.

This can't end badly! It was going so good...
Dec 23, 2012 1:59 AM

Jan 2011
I have to say, this arc is by far my favorite so far.
Which is why I'm glad it's so long.
What confuses me, is that for some reason I felt bad for Ooishi when he got killed.
I didn't even like him.
At all.

But, whatever. Onward to part eight.
gutsyGumshoeDec 23, 2012 2:07 AM
Formerly gutsyGumshoe
Mar 22, 2013 6:08 PM

Jan 2012
i guess now i can only watch this is a mystery anime, rather than the horror/gore/suspense anime that it was the first season, maybe my expectations were higher than i expected, but heyho i am determined to get through this!

nice to get more information on the curse so once again i am so much more in clear and know so much more about it, rather than the first season i was more interested in the blood i actually don't remember caring that much, hope the last episode of this arc will bring some suspense at least!
Apr 27, 2013 2:58 PM

Sep 2012
Everytime he misses at the end...

I was wondering how the police can leave the village/Rika without going insane anyway.
May 15, 2013 8:37 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
I like the slow pace that this season has because all the details and explanation regarding Hinamizawa are being explained. Sure the action has been pretty low, but I'm sure it will pick up soon. Those guys that came in the van know what they are doing. They let the guy break the chain and use him as bait to lure in Ooishi and the other guy. Then out of nowhere they get Sniped, amazing. Not too mention a few episodes back the other guy with Ooishi got shot in the head when the guys in the van came out of the bushes. Snipers, hiding in bushes, what other strategies could they have.

Jul 23, 2013 3:17 PM

Jan 2013
RPGX_Omega said:
I was wondering how the police can leave the village/Rika without going insane anyway.

This is why I was wondering. Maybe it's because they are in the village so often, but still.. they have to go on vacation once in a while!

And how about the first episode of the season where it shows Rena was an adult with Ooishi. How come those 2 have been alive for so long when they have the diseae and Rika has been killed for 30 years?

Oh well. 1 thing that this episode explained was why Rika was after Shion with the syringe in the first season. I'm assuming that syringe was to suppress Shion's symptoms in the arc she went bat-shit crazy.

At least now we know that none of the girls are psyco-path killers like previously thought, they just have a crazy Hinamizawa disease!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 31, 2013 6:38 PM

May 2012
Wow.. a lot of revelations! But I have a feeling that they will still all die.
Aug 10, 2013 4:13 PM

May 2013
He really should have stayed in his car.
Aug 16, 2013 1:44 AM

Jun 2011
SharifEbeefE said:
RPGX_Omega said:

This is why I was wondering. Maybe it's because they are in the village so often, but still.. they have to go on vacation once in a while!

Only the people of Hinamizawa are affected, Ooishi (and the other police officers) are from Okinomiya.

SharifEbeefE said:
And how about the first episode of the season where it shows Rena was an adult with Ooishi. How come those 2 have been alive for so long when they have the diseae and Rika has been killed for 30 years?

Stress is the catalyst.
Oct 4, 2013 3:03 PM

Aug 2013
SharifEbeefE said:
Oh well. 1 thing that this episode explained was why Rika was after Shion with the syringe in the first season. I'm assuming that syringe was to suppress Shion's symptoms in the arc she went bat-shit crazy.
But she injected Rika with it instead in the end, which, instead of suppressing the symptoms, made Rika go kind of crazy. It doesn't add up...
ikazuuyr said:
SharifEbeefE said:
Stress is the catalyst.
Does that mean that the Queen Carrier theory is plain wrong?
======
On another note, some fragments about Takano's stuff...
  • She seems to be one of those trying to restore the faith in Oyashiro-sama. One potential purpose of that is to attempt to reduce stress in the villagers (I'm not convinced about this but I remember such a phrase from a few episodes ago). This means some people getting killed every now and then (potentially by the disease itself or by someone going crazy due to the disease) and the deaths being attributed to Oyashiro-sama's curse.
  • However, they somehow decide to make the whole thing explode instead by killing Rika, which basically wipes out the whole village. This makes the first point meaningless, even though this option has the potential of actually eradicating the disease.
  • One potential way to relate all this to the biological weapon research is that Hinamizawa is just a proof-of-concept experiment to show the potential clients that yes you can wipe out a village using this virus. However, I don't know how you would get another Queen Carrier.
  • As for Rika's time travel powers, I would expect that the bad guys, after discovering her powers, try to (ab)use her powers instead of killing her.
  • On top of all this, if Rika is really Oyashiro-sama's reincarnation, then killing her doesn't really help with restoring the belief in, well, her.
BTW Takano is indeed weird but I think she's not the root of all evil here. She's just a major, not an admiral or anything.

Am I making any sense here?
What's the point of all this? // There's no point. I'm doing it because I can. That's all there is to it. // What will be left behind after this? // Nothing at all. She'll die and I'll burn out. The end. That's all. (Requiem for the Phantom)
Nov 17, 2013 6:52 PM

Jun 2013
It all makes sense now!

Looks like this time loop is done for though, but next one has to end well... for sure!!!
Dec 6, 2013 1:47 PM

Jun 2013
With Ooishi and his underling dead, there goes any chance of this arc working out favorably.

Dec 22, 2013 12:38 PM

Dec 2012
Ouch Ooishi! You just got sniped! Watch him still come back though just because he is that hard to kill.
Feb 25, 2014 6:48 AM

Jan 2009
1. at least we know takano is the culprit who wants to develop this disease.

2. i keep thinking back to the first episode. ooishi & rena were alive... what does that say for everyone in this arc?

8/10
俺の命を百合に。
Currently translating Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o - Atelier no Koibito-tachi -- when bored.
Above visual novel is 22.22% translated with progress uploaded to youtube; if you're into yuri VNs, check out my channel.
Mar 24, 2014 6:26 PM

Aug 2013
aw man cant believe ooishi got capped was expecting him to survive since he usually does on all the other time lines
Yo
Apr 22, 2014 6:28 AM

Jun 2011
So, all the Oishi haters, do you still hate Oishi at this point? I see no reason to hate him in the first place when he was just doing his cop's duty, even if he had to go against our "murderers" main characters.

- Why would Rika confessed the suspicion of Takano to Irie in the presence of the Yamainu? o.O
- What the hell was with everyone appearing behind Rika just after she spoke on the phone? So many coincidence "we just happened to pass by and of course, heard some important secret, yeah, by chance of course", not very well written in that regard imo.
- I don't like the thing with Queen Carrier, it's too supernatural-ish, unless that could be explained psychologically other than just "they release some kind of pheromone that suppress the disease".
- I don't like how they were laughing too just after they talked about something really big/serious. They should learn to take things more seriously, as if death is not scary enough.
- "What would we do if we can't even believe our friends." That made me chuckle because of what happened before in the other timelines, they never really took what their friends said seriously, and I don't mean the infected ones.
Anyway, I'll stop here, there are too many things I disliked. However I did liked how Rika finally says anything, and reveal more information about what really took place.

"If Takano could hear those words, she would be delighted" Lol'd
"A secret organization called Tokyo" Lol'd too, what a good naming sense.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Apr 24, 2014 2:56 PM
Feb 2013
Am kinda surprised that Rika didn't tell them about the other world lines, it be nice to know. Just saying.
May 1, 2014 9:25 AM

Jan 2014
A lot is clear now, but I was expecting something more.
But how can they survive to all of this, there are foces too big for them to stad up against.
May 9, 2014 11:13 AM

Apr 2014
Well, this changed a lot.. I hope Rika won't die this time cause she doesn't deserve that at all! ;o
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

protoman96 - Jul 5, 2007

166 by Vincentie »»
Mar 19, 4:48 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Entropy - Oct 1, 2007

216 by ghostgirl_ »»
Mar 14, 4:06 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Entropy - Sep 6, 2007

120 by benisgu »»
Mar 2, 8:38 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

LunarEmerald - Oct 29, 2007

100 by Drinzen »»
Feb 9, 4:05 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

LunarEmerald - Dec 17, 2007

364 by gb214 »»
Dec 31, 2023 4:29 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.