Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 7, 2012 2:03 PM

Jul 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
no thread yet?
i enjoyed this scene. (^__^)

Dec 7, 2012 2:56 PM

Apr 2008
The recap so far...
Book 1: 1-4+5-7
Book 2: 8-10+11-??

If this ends at 13 or 14, seems like book 3 will be a bit longer than the previous stories isn't it.

No idea about how long passed since the last story, but seems like they've started moving to naturally to smaller group.

But, a small answered. So they have groups with six members too for when the numbers are not enough or as for spare when another group's headcount falls under 5.

Satoru's family background is surprising :D
But Saki's parents are not just any citizen either (chief of the village and head of the library).
Dec 7, 2012 3:44 PM
Nov 2012
nseika said:
The recap so far...
Book 1: 1-4+5-7
Book 2: 8-10+11-??

If this ends at 13 or 14, seems like book 3 will be a bit longer than the previous stories isn't it.

No idea about how long passed since the last story, but seems like they've started moving to naturally to smaller group.

But, a small answered. So they have groups with six members too for when the numbers are not enough or as for spare when another group's headcount falls under 5.

Satoru's family background is surprising :D
But Saki's parents are not just any citizen either (chief of the village and head of the library).

Saki's father really doesn't act like he's the head of the village...
Dec 7, 2012 7:43 PM

Nov 2012
SUBS ARE SO SMALL ON THE STREAM VIDS!
Dec 7, 2012 7:54 PM

Jul 2012
Airies said:

yeah, UTW messed up, they're gonna fix it.
Dec 7, 2012 7:58 PM

May 2011
Back to daily life.

The subs are too small. Is that Hadena by any chance?
Dec 7, 2012 7:58 PM

Jul 2012
Very awesome episode with some plot plot plot. Subs are small right now but UTW has fixed it now. No worries.
My Anime Blog: http://www.Entravity.com/
Episodic overviews of the latest anime.

Dec 7, 2012 8:07 PM

Sep 2011
Excellent episode. Explains all the unanswered plot holes for the previous 10 episodes.
Dec 7, 2012 8:48 PM

Oct 2008
This should be called Shinsekai yuri (?)

Fucking epic episode, how am I supposed to wait a week for the next one?
Dec 7, 2012 8:49 PM

Feb 2012
Fantastic episode once again, I'm still shocked by how this show can consistently make 23 minutes feel like just 5. Absolutely cannot wait for next weeks episode.

By the way, can someone who has read the books give a rough estimation on how long this series will be based on the current pace? I can see that MAL has it listed as 25 episodes, but I'm kind of wondering that will cover the entire book or if there will be another season. Thanks.
Dec 7, 2012 8:51 PM
Sep 2012
Interesting episode. Can't wait for next we when we find out what happens when Saki meets with the grandmother.
walk said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
no thread yet?
People don't really want to start new threads since it will probably get deleted when MAL resets everything back to around Wednesday morning. 12/5/12

Not sure when they'll do it though.
Airies said:
Yeah, they were really annoying.
Posse said:
This should be called Shinsekai yuri (?)
Oh the yuri. Reminds me of episode 8. LOL
Dec 7, 2012 8:51 PM

Nov 2012
SIMPLY AMAZING!
Dec 7, 2012 8:57 PM

Jul 2012
Tsun2Yan said:
Fantastic episode once again, I'm still shocked by how this show can consistently make 23 minutes feel like just 5. Absolutely cannot wait for next weeks episode.

By the way, can someone who has read the books give a rough estimation on how long this series will be based on the current pace? I can see that MAL has it listed as 25 episodes, but I'm kind of wondering that will cover the entire book or if there will be another season. Thanks.

haven't read the whole books, but to my knowledge, the current episode is already on the second book. so it looks like the 25 episodes will be covering the whole thing.
Dec 7, 2012 9:03 PM
Oct 2011
It's just so said that their memories of Shun was altered! Glad that Saki have Satoru as her partner in the end! I cant believe they literally tried to replace Shun with Ryou. T^T Saki!! You gonna kick the butt of whoever is doing this to y'all!!!

"Do you know where hell is? Inside your head" - Chrona=
"If the king doesn't move, then his subjects won't follow" - Lelouch Lamperouge
"If you pretend to feel a certain way, the feeling can become genuine all by accident" - Hei
"I want chocolate! No need for love!! Just give me sugar!!!" & "If you have time to think of a beautiful end, then live beautifully until the end" - Sakata Gintoki
Dec 7, 2012 9:48 PM

Jul 2012
They messed with their memories, woah! :O

If you really want to fit in, just put Legend of the Galactic Heroes in your top 5 and have it be the only 10-rated anime in your list.
Dec 7, 2012 9:51 PM

Nov 2012
i think the one who alter their memories are their own parents/guardians, they are also cantus user, the parents can easily alter their memories for example, when they are sleeping..

Special thanks to Gabu for this amazing avatar & sig set!!
Dec 7, 2012 9:52 PM
Oct 2010
mamoru such a lil bitch
Dont bother replying to my posts in forums, dont check them afterwards.

Dec 7, 2012 10:10 PM
Sep 2012
KingCez said:
mamoru such a lil bitch
No wonder why he's the only one who hasn't been with anyone. LOL
Dec 7, 2012 10:15 PM

Dec 2011
I guess this relates to the subconscious releasing their Cantus from the last ep... which is the reason why they forgot Shun...

Actually, I forgot that there was another girl that existed... wait is there really another girl on the start? Damn. The Cantus of this show is affecting my mind. Ahahaha.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 7, 2012 10:22 PM

Mar 2008
So, for this duty, or whatever it is, Saki ended up choosing Satoru and Maria choose Mamoru? If this is true, this is just what I wanted <3
As for EP itself... it was interesting. BTW I was even surprised when it suddenly ended.

AiCon said:
He loves Maria, and she was busy with Saki. That's why. However now Maria seems to think a lot about him :P

Fiji said:
I guess this relates to the subconscious releasing their Cantus from the last ep... which is the reason why they forgot Shun...

Meh, it was clearly set up by someone. They didn't forgot Shun, he was replaced by Ryou. And each of them have only specific memories altered. Looks too perfect for something you do unconsciously. Not to mention that Ryou clearly plays some role (and not very well).
EndymionDec 7, 2012 10:25 PM
Dec 7, 2012 10:35 PM

Sep 2012
Really like the progression of the show so far.
Dec 7, 2012 10:52 PM

Jul 2012
Endymion said:
So, for this duty, or whatever it is, Saki ended up choosing Satoru and Maria choose Mamoru? If this is true, this is just what I wanted <3
As for EP itself... it was interesting. BTW I was even surprised when it suddenly ended.

AiCon said:
He loves Maria, and she was busy with Saki. That's why. However now Maria seems to think a lot about him :P

Fiji said:

Meh, it was clearly set up by someone. They didn't forgot Shun, he was replaced by Ryou. And each of them have only specific memories altered. Looks too perfect for something you do unconsciously. Not to mention that Ryou clearly plays some role (and not very well).

ryou's own memories have also been altered, it's not like he'd been hired by the adults to play this role.

also maria chose mamoru, so they got paired up together.
Dec 7, 2012 10:53 PM
Mar 2011
"its a task only you can accomplish"

is it a trap?! cant wait for the next one!
"....i am the villain in this story"
Dec 7, 2012 10:57 PM

Oct 2011
Aaaaah, such a good episode, I thought I could handle the cliffhanger when the ED started playing but when they showed that next week there is gonna be a bloody kid in a strange creepy room I got excited and I realized that I couldn't wait.

I kinda feel bad for Ryou 'cause the poor guy was just kind of placed there to take over Shun's spot but nonetheless I was really happy how Saki came up with so many conclusions all by herself in such a short period of time. Really good episode though.

(By the way was I the only one deeply horrified when Mamoru spoke? I just wanted him to stand there and look pretty and never speak anymore 'cause his voice was just... not... fitting for him. At least that's what I thought.)
Dec 7, 2012 10:59 PM

Mar 2008
walk said:
ryou's own memories have also been altered, it's not like he'd been hired by the adults to play this role.

Maybe you right, but it didn't looked like that to me.

walk said:

Sure, but for me the reason is not important. At least they are together. ^__^
Dec 7, 2012 11:02 PM

Jul 2012
Endymion said:
walk said:

Maybe you right, but it didn't looked like that to me.

walk said:

Sure, but for me the reason is not important. At least they are together. ^__^

the poor kid was just lost and confused ;; they tampered with his memories, and he believed them to be true, but saki kept asking him all these questions that didn't fit in with the memories that he had.

(also the mamoru and maria comment was directed at aicon since he said mamoru has never gotten with anyone ;u;)
Dec 7, 2012 11:05 PM
Sep 2012
Endymion said:
AiCon said:
It isn't just that he's in love with Maria - it's that no one else apparently wanted to be with him all that time while it seemed like everyone else were pairing off and doing some yuri and yaoi.

And I thought I saw Mari and Saki kissing each other in this episode? Doesn't that mean that they're still in love while Maria cares about him as a close friend?
IconicDec 7, 2012 11:11 PM
Dec 7, 2012 11:13 PM

Oct 2011
AiCon said:
It isn't just that he's in love with Maria - it's that no one else apparently wanted to be with him all that time while everyone else were doing some yuri and yaoi.

And I thought I saw Mari and Saki kissing each other in this episode? Doesn't that mean that they're still in love while Maria only cares about him as a close friend?

I don't think it was that no one else wanted to be with him, it was that he chose not to be with anyone because he wanted to be with Maria so badly. He kept hanging around her, looking at her, and when Saki told him to get a lover, he refused because of how in love he was with Maria. He didn't want anyone but her.

And I think they all just have general feelings for each other. Maria cares deeply for both Saki and Mamoru, wanting to protect them both. The fact that they kissed I think was just a way of comforting each other at that moment.
Dec 7, 2012 11:18 PM
Sep 2012
myuun said:
And I think they all just have general feelings for each other. Maria cares deeply for both Saki and Mamoru, wanting to protect them both. The fact that they kissed I think was just a way of comforting each other at that moment.
Isn't kissing something considered extremely intimate? I mean, lots of people can have sex with strangers but most won't kiss others on the lips unless it's someone they feel intimate with.

btw, @ myuun and walk: What do you think about the board's decline since episode 8?
Dec 7, 2012 11:24 PM

Jul 2012
AiCon said:
btw, @ myuun and walk: What do you think about the board's decline since episode 8?

honestly i like it??? lol. a lot less dumb comments to sift though (-`_´- 。) at least we know that episode 8 weeded out the bigots.
Dec 7, 2012 11:30 PM

Oct 2011
^ Hahaha see? Don't I know my best friend.
AiCon said:
Isn't kissing something considered extremely intimate? I mean, lots of people can have sex with strangers but most won't kiss others on the lips unless it's someone they feel intimate with.

Uuuhm, I see your point, but I think kissing is fine within SSY's culture. Because they are so open about sexuality and they use it as a relaxation method, I think girls kissing girls, boys kissing boys, and girls kissing boys (this is a little more uncommon but still plausible) is still completely fine and isn't looked as such a big intimidate deal. More comfort than anything at that time.

And about the boards, I honestly don't care. Hahaha I don't think Chris (walk) cares either. Some people are ridiculous and if they want to leave, they can. I'm not gonna stop them and it doesn't reduce the quality of Shinsekai Yori. It's still a great anime whether a million people watch it or just a tiny little bit.
Dec 7, 2012 11:32 PM
Sep 2012
walk said:
AiCon said:

honestly i like it??? lol. a lot less dumb comments to sift though (-`_´- 。) at least we know that episode 8 weeded out the bigots.
I can't argue with how peaceful it is here now that most of them have left, although I do sometimes miss reading the ridiculous debates that happened before and during episode 8.
Dec 7, 2012 11:37 PM

Jul 2012
myuun said:
^ Hahaha see? Don't I know my best friend.

And about the boards, I honestly don't care. Hahaha I don't think Chris (walk) cares either. Some people are ridiculous and if they want to leave, they can. I'm not gonna stop them and it doesn't reduce the quality of Shinsekai Yori. It's still a great anime whether a million people watch it or just a tiny little bit.

LOL yeah honestly idc, good riddance to them and we can finally have nice discussions. c:
walkDec 7, 2012 11:52 PM
Dec 7, 2012 11:37 PM
Sep 2012
myuun said:
Uuuhm, I see your point, but I think kissing is fine within SSY's culture. Because they are so open about sexuality and they use it as a relaxation method, I think girls kissing girls, boys kissing boys, and girls kissing boys (this is a little more uncommon but still plausible) is still completely fine and isn't looked as such a big intimidate deal. More comfort than anything at that time.

I understand your point. It's a just a little more odd to me seeing people kiss each other on the lips like that without having an intimate relationship with each other.

I had lots of laughs reading all those ridiculous arguments from people trying to defend their disdain of yaoi and BL. Still, the board is better off without them.

Edit: I had a brief discussion with Naxrrhid (the most vocal of the BL haters) in the SAO boards and he still hates the show even after I told him that it was only in one episode. He says that hearing (not seeing) about BL ruined the show for him. LOL
IconicDec 7, 2012 11:46 PM
Dec 7, 2012 11:48 PM

Jul 2012
Fiji said:

Actually, I forgot that there was another girl that existed... wait is there really another girl on the start? Damn. The Cantus of this show is affecting my mind. Ahahaha.

also no, they didn't forget about shun because of the subconscious releasing or anything like that. the adults of this village purposely altered their memories of the people who get removed from the system. as saki and maria discussed in this episode, they wondered why didn't they just say the person died by an accident or illness because that would be easier to explain. but instead, the adults opt to erase their memories of that person entirely to spare them from the painful memories. the reason for this is probably because the more emotional baggage you carry, especially from the death of a loved one, the hardest it would be for them to control their cantus.

AiCon said:
Edit: I had a brief discussion with Naxrrhid (the most vocal of the BL haters) in the SAO boards and he still hates the show even after I told him that it was only in one episode. He says that hearing (not seeing) about BL ruined the show for him. LOL

OH MY GOD. is that person seriously for real. i can't imagine anybody being that ridiculous, he HAS to be trolling.
Dec 7, 2012 11:55 PM
Sep 2012
walk said:
Fiji said:

also no, they didn't forget about shun because of the subconscious releasing or anything like that. the adults of this village purposely altered their memories of the people who get removed from the system. as saki and maria discussed in this episode, they wondered why didn't they just say the person died by an accident or illness because that would be easier to explain. but instead, the adults opt to erase their memories of that person entirely to spare them from the painful memories. the reason for this is probably because the more emotional baggage you carry, especially from the death of a loved one, the hardest it would be for them to control their cantus.
The cantus they release creates creatures that get funneled past the barrier the elders put up. It doesn't erase memories. This atleast explains how there are weird creatures that have appeared too quickly for normal evolution.

walk said:
AiCon said:

OH MY GOD. is that person seriously for real. i can't imagine anybody being that ridiculous, he HAS to be trolling.
I kid you not. I'd dig it up for you but the SAO board is a mess with flamewars and it would take too long to sort through them all. I've also seen some of his comments on other people's boards talking about that very thing.
Dec 8, 2012 12:14 AM

Nov 2011
Great Ep, spiriting away and memory tampering was cool.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Dec 8, 2012 12:15 AM

May 2010
I was wondering when, people were gonna start getting erased from history, look like i didnt have to wait that long tho haha

Awesome episode but im kinda lost tho.
Dec 8, 2012 12:17 AM

Oct 2011
Hydnlife said:
I was wondering when, people were gonna start getting erased from history, look like i didnt have to wait that long tho haha

Awesome episode but im kinda lost tho.

Well it started from the very beginning with Reiko but it wasn't until now that they actually realized it. If you're lost you can always ask questions, there are a bunch of us online happy to help you put the pieces together.
Dec 8, 2012 12:25 AM
May 2012
Truly great episode. The social engineering going on and the kids slowly discovering it is fantastic.
Dec 8, 2012 12:38 AM

Dec 2009
Things are starting to click. I wonder where this is all going!
Dec 8, 2012 12:57 AM
Jan 2008
Come on guys... seriously? Reiko was featured on quite a bit, there's no "new girl", it's her. They even had scenes of her when describing the memory blank, lol. Also memory loss was obvious from the start with them saying they only had 5 members after Reiko's death. It was never a "plothole", I'm in awe anyone even thought that.
Dec 8, 2012 1:29 AM

Sep 2012
Really enjoyed this episode. Looking forward to watching Saki get to the bottom of things.

Also, Satoru seems to have matured a bit. Since the time skip, he has lacked the cheekiness he had prior to it. Too bad, I kinda liked that about him.
Dec 8, 2012 2:00 AM

Nov 2011
The art and animation looked different this episode. I liked it, very smooth. How old are they suppose to be now? I must say I enjoy watching the characters grow up and mature (minus the creepy memory erasing thingy)
The Art of Eight
Dec 8, 2012 2:11 AM

Jan 2011
solid episode even i was starting to forget those two also
Dec 8, 2012 2:31 AM

Nov 2011
Forgot to add but people in the future have Fabulous sense of style
The Art of Eight
Dec 8, 2012 3:18 AM

Sep 2012
Nhaz said:
i think the one who alter their memories are their own parents/guardians, they are also cantus user, the parents can easily alter their memories for example, when they are sleeping..

I don't think they can use cantus on other people. They most likely use the same kind of hypnosis Rijin used earlier to make the kids forget their mantra.

Anyway, great episode that answered a lot of questions that some people asked in earlier episodes.
Dec 8, 2012 3:30 AM

Jun 2009
Back to the beautiful, beautiful artstyle again!

Hopefully they remain this way for the rest of the series.

Story really kicks in now! The fact that they forget the first girl and the cheater in episode 2 so easily have always bugged me a bit, guess that's sorted ^_^

Asahina Satoru's grandma... Could she be the one that started the whole chain of deaths? (As foreshadowed by Saki's narration in episode 3)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 8, 2012 4:40 AM

Apr 2011
Poor Mamoru Maria should just get with him but he is a scardy cat. But now it seems like there memories are being erased by the guardians and parents. So basically now Shun never existed.
Dec 8, 2012 5:52 AM

Aug 2008
I found it so weird when they started to kiss when Satoru was like... looking at them... whatever...

I'm glad that they seems to remember the girl in their team! I hope Saki'll remeber Shun very soon!

And I love this episode's animation! :)
Omg, I can't wait for the next episode! More revelations!!
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Ugly KV

ScuzzyBear - Jun 8, 2023

9 by charlieman999 »»
Mar 28, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2013

1325 by Xeehad »»
Mar 2, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2013

169 by Xeehad »»
Mar 1, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2012

516 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 10:04 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 19, 2012

363 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 9:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.