Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Nov 14, 2012 4:26 AM

Oct 2008
Khalan3 said:
This ep proves this show is in my opinion so much better than Chu2-byo!

Chuunibyou is simply a comedy. Sakuraso balances comedy with emotional moments AND manages to do them both well. Totally agree with you. That isn't to say Chuunibyou isn't good though (although that last episode with that random side character was a little bit of a disappointment though).
Nov 14, 2012 4:49 AM

May 2010
Lol mashiro duty is shifted to Kanda again.
Nov 14, 2012 6:05 AM

Jul 2011
More comedy pls...
Nov 14, 2012 6:09 AM
Nov 2012
aiNkyy said:
More comedy pls...

i love this anime, i so romantic
Nov 14, 2012 6:34 AM

Jan 2008
THOSE Nanami "Kyaaaa" moments are just over 9000 ! lol . but damn , she just raised her scores by a lot in this episode .i really dunno why some ppl still hate her that much(like how everyone is still hating Shinka sooo much in chuu2) .

But still , Mashiro's "messy hair" in every episode is a really nicely done fanservice (for me that is). XD
and somehow , i found her quite sexy here . dunno why .

Might not be one of the best episodes .But still a nice done ep .
So ... Athena Imouto coming up . ^^
Nov 14, 2012 6:52 AM
Nov 2012
i love Shiina too, but i don't like Nanami, especial in ep 6
Nov 14, 2012 8:52 AM
Aug 2012
archer_shirou01 said:
THOSE Nanami "Kyaaaa" moments are just over 9000 ! lol . but damn , she just raised her scores by a lot in this episode .i really dunno why some ppl still hate her that much(like how everyone is still hating Shinka sooo much in chuu2) .

But still , Mashiro's "messy hair" in every episode is a really nicely done fanservice (for me that is). XD
and somehow , i found her quite sexy here . dunno why .

Might not be one of the best episodes .But still a nice done ep .
So ... Athena Imouto coming up . ^^

Agree. Nanami FTW.
I always have a thing for hardworking girl.
Nov 14, 2012 8:53 AM

Sep 2012
katzer said:
I was going to write a few lines but after i saw this i will just quote you cause you said everything i think about this anime =).
AnimeHAwk616 said:
]Dude, did you just write a whole review about a show on the episode discussion? If it was, it was actually pretty good speculation and well written.
AiCon said:
Wow That's one hell of a review.
I recommend Lelouch22 to anyone who wants to read good and balanced review in MAL that takes things from production quality point of view as well as story and character development. So you guys can check out what he wrote for other anime like Magi, Shinsekai Yori, Kaibutsu-kun, Psycho-Pass and Zetsuen no Tempest.

That said, I cannot agree with his view that Aoyama is unneeded and undesirable. ;-)
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 14, 2012 9:33 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
symbv said:
That said, I cannot agree with his view that Aoyama is unneeded and undesirable. ;-)
Just for the "record", I also don't have any issues with Aoyama's character and to me the story with her is just fine as is.
Nov 14, 2012 10:30 AM

May 2009
goh1925 said:
I always have a thing for hardworking girl.

Mashiro is both hardworking and talented.
Nov 14, 2012 10:48 AM

Aug 2011
symbv said:

To me, Nanami has shown nothing redeeming as of yet. Its really hard for me to sympathize far less like her character in any way. And projecting how this genre usually goes..., its only gonna get worse cuz all i see Nanami doing for the rest of the story is cockblocking.

And dont get me wrong..., i am honestly trying to like her and i do understand a 3rd person is needed to progress the love relationship between Sorata and Shiina..., its just that Shiina and Misaki >>> Nanami and i would rather see them lol >.<
5547r8.jpgNaxrrhid.png
Nov 14, 2012 11:00 AM

Oct 2010
Ah this episode, such a ridiculous society it has for making its people think they are superman and push themselves to their limits. Hence ultimate realizing they are not and in fact failed more than succeeding. Personally I hate pushing myself, I HATE SOCIETY SHITTY DEMANDS OF ME! Most of all but certainly if anything I realized society cares not of you but demands you care of it before it takes care of you. Hence 2 lessons I realized of this episode:
Lesson 1: THINK BEFORE YOU ACT! In the case of Mashiro on Nanami to push her.

Lesson 2: Going overboard and straining yourself is stupid:
A) Reduces you vitality line and life
B) Causes problems a lot due to your poor performance of any task due to your fatigue.

THEREFORE DON’T DO THIS SHIT! THANK YOU!

Certainly the best of this whole segment is the following,

Nanami there looks not bad but adorable despite being in misery. Her MOE gets me best.

About the preview, INCOMING! HIGH ALERT! In the spoiler Yuuko, Kanda’s sister is coming! Oh no it’s loli time! Fan service? Nah, I want comedy with her but what exactly will she bring? She already looks as stupid and dumb as Kanda if not more hyper and MOE. So I guess she bring comedy/MOE? Well let’s see what her brain brings. Too much shit can do MOE and comedy already. What is different that she may do?

BTW Image Stitches with pic dump are in the BLOG:
http://ecchiking99.blogspot.ca/2012/11/image-stitches-and-pic-dump-of_14.html
Naturally nice Misaki/Mashiro stuff.

GIFs are done in the club:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=518411
With naturally nice Mashiro and Nanami.

PS: Due to new rules all image codes are out except for one. To see the pics you need to go to the club:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=518447
Whom all is enabled there since the rules don’t affect it. That’s all.
Yumekichi11Nov 14, 2012 3:56 PM

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Nov 14, 2012 12:32 PM
Nov 2010
People hate Nanami simply because she supposedly gets in the way of Mashiro x Sorata.

On to the episode:

Nanami has really improved a lot in these last two episode, hopefully they don't ruin that.

I really seeing Mashiro and Nanami spending time together, it's almost as if Mashiro was Nanami's little sister. Cute.

Mashiro to Nanami: "I want you to call me by my first name."
*Mashiro and Nanami's social link has increased to level 3*
Z-flameNov 14, 2012 12:35 PM
Nov 14, 2012 1:34 PM

Feb 2010
This episode was full of tropes I really dislike, let me use that opportunity to rant about them (It's up to you how serious you take it ^^):

Why is it always portrayed as a good trait in anime to be like Nanami. To not know your limits, not trusting others to be able to handle everything and doing all by yourself, 'working hard' for a dream but at the same time apparently not giving a shit about that dream because you ruin your healt over irrelevent 'working hard at everything' moments, making everyone around you feel miserable watching you.
The japanese really want to breed generation after generation of people who work themselves to death because work = more important than the individual. I guess it's really a cultural difference, because I don't get what's so admirable about such 'wishy-washy-working-hard' attituted that don't seem to have any priorities. And even if they made her somehow get over it at the end of the episode, it still didn't feel like it was a bad thing to do. Work yourself to death at least once, and true friends won't prevent it. Yeah, right.

And then they had to add the 'I can't hold a spoonful of soup even though I just had a hyperactivity phase with my teddy' trope, which is also far from my favorites. Only 90 year old people in a half-coma can't eat soup alone, trust me I know. If you want to feed her, that's okay, but why do anime always have to make up some petty excuse they pretend makes sense?

That being ranted, I'm still enjoying this quite much, the rant was more because this episode heavily reminded me of all the other times I forced myself through episodes because of the same tropes. Her's hoping that Nanami is normal next episode and generally gets a bit less focus, nor sure if I'll ever find her likeable after how she started out.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 14, 2012 2:03 PM

Oct 2007
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

And even if they made her somehow get over it at the end of the episode, it still didn't feel like it was a bad thing to do. Work yourself to death at least once, and true friends won't prevent it. Yeah, right.

I identify really strongly with Nanami,I had (and still somewhat have,I'm working on it) the same issues as her,and guess what,my friends let me crash and burn (but were there to pick up the pieces and help me stand back up) because they figured that'd be the only way I'd finally learn,and it was quite effective indeed.

If they prevent her from going she'd just be mad at them and wouldn't change her attitude,they'd just be delaying the outcome,not preventing it,by letting her go and having her fail miserably she was able to (painfully) learn her lesson
all for fun.fun for all
Nov 14, 2012 2:47 PM

Feb 2010
totoum said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

And even if they made her somehow get over it at the end of the episode, it still didn't feel like it was a bad thing to do. Work yourself to death at least once, and true friends won't prevent it. Yeah, right.

I identify really strongly with Nanami,I had (and still somewhat have,I'm working on it) the same issues as her,and guess what,my friends let me crash and burn (but were there to pick up the pieces and help me stand back up) because they figured that'd be the only way I'd finally learn,and it was quite effective indeed.

If they prevent her from going she'd just be mad at them and wouldn't change her attitude,they'd just be delaying the outcome,not preventing it,by letting her go and having her fail miserably she was able to (painfully) learn her lesson

Let me just add two things:

1. Didn't they reason more like 'I would do the same so please let her go' and not 'she needs to crash for her to get over this' (even though the latter was the result).

2. Part of my rant is because I just dislike this kind of egoistical learning, that is really only necessary in most cases because the character doesn't reflect his/her actions and their consequences even in the slightest. So you could just take it as me elaborating on why I don't like her character and the archetype as a whole. I don't like how they treat the issue as not having an obvious yes/no answer and I don't like that way of learning (In other cases, like sports, 1 time can be enough to ruin the whole career and have lasting effects on the body.), that's all.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 14, 2012 3:13 PM

Oct 2009
All right , sorata get back his mashiro's job, i have waited for this ahah \o/

misaki looks very serious too ^^

Just burn aoyama in hell and the serie will be completly fun et good to me ^^;;

ssf4ae (pc) : misterCybou
sc2 : CybE // 665
Nov 14, 2012 8:04 PM
Sep 2012
Yumekichi11 said:
About the preview, INCOMING! HIGH ALERT! In the spoiler Yuuko, Kanda’s sister is coming! Oh no it’s loli time! Fan service? Nah, I want comedy with her but what exactly will she bring? She already looks as stupid and dumb as Kanda if not more hyper and MOE. So I guess she bring comedy/MOE? Well let’s see what her brain brings. Too much shit can do MOE and comedy already. What is different that she may do?
You need to have more faith in your lolis Yumekichi11. Yuuko is voiced by Yui Ogura, who's voiced many good loli characters like Alice (Kamisama no Memochou), Toki (Saki: Achiga-hen - Episode of Side-A), Athena (Campione) and a few others.

I have no doubt that Yuuko will be funny and MOE like the rest of them.
Nov 14, 2012 8:05 PM

Oct 2008
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

And then they had to add the 'I can't hold a spoonful of soup even though I just had a hyperactivity phase with my teddy' trope, which is also far from my favorites. Only 90 year old people in a half-coma can't eat soup alone, trust me I know. If you want to feed her, that's okay, but why do anime always have to make up some petty excuse they pretend makes sense?

I can understand the feeling about tropes, but in the anime's defense, Aoyama was holding both Torajirou (which is an awesome name) and Shinna's hand. She wasn't going to let go of either of them.

AiCon said:
Yumekichi11 said:
You need to have more faith in your lolis Yumekichi11. Yuuko is voiced by Yui Ogura, who's voiced many good loli characters like Alice (Kamisama no Memochou), Toki (Saki: Achiga-hen - Episode of Side-A), Athena (Campione) and a few others.

O, God... Just what we need. Loli character with the sole purpose of fanservice...
I just hope I'm wrong and there's an actual persona, character and story behind her.
I never quite understood this whole "loli" fascination.
Children are cute. So are baby animals. I can understand that melting inside from cuteness feeling, but not the other things that are associated with lolis...
OmniknightNov 14, 2012 8:11 PM
Nov 14, 2012 8:08 PM

Oct 2010
AiCon said:
Yumekichi11 said:

There you have, what is obvious she will bring.

I would hope more for some drama emotions from her and intelligence. MOE and comedy are too easy in this show. It's the drama/interactions that make it nice. That's apart from the unique art whom I mention on the forum of this series. C'mon you should know better MOE and comedy are far too many in animes.

Nov 14, 2012 8:16 PM
Jan 2011
ap19 said:
I'm a Japanese American living in Japan. I don't have anything against Koreans, but I do have a lot against both the Japanese and Korean persons involved for this kind of obviously unnecessary infiltration. For those of you criticizing the Anti-Korean wave in Japan, watch this video before you do anymore judging.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okW35n0Xz34

I don't want Japanese animation being added to this list. Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo did not need this addition either.

Note, I don't intend to make this thread go off-topic, so do not leave any excessive responses. I just don't like seeing the general Japanese population being criticized for this Anti-Korean wave.

Thats really interesting. What part of Japan are you from? I was lucky enough to host a foreign exchange student from Japan for a whole year two years back. He was from Tokyo though so he may have been influenced by the area. He told me that Japanese people love Koreans but they hate Japanese people. But japanese people dislike chinese people.
それがすごくおもしろかった。日本でどこに住んでいた。私が二年前一年まで留学生の日本人と住んでいたけどあの人が東京ですんでいた。あの人は「日本人は韓国人が好きだけど韓国人が日本人が嫌いだ」といっていた。 Sorry if my japanese is unbearable I'm still a novice.
Nov 14, 2012 8:28 PM
Sep 2012
Yumekichi11 said:
I would hope more for some drama emotions from her and intelligence. MOE and comedy are too easy in this show. It's the drama/interactions that make it nice. That's apart from the unique art whom I mention on the forum of this series. C'mon you should know better MOE and comedy are far too many in animes.
I can understand that. There are a lot of MOE characters in anime today. I'm not too sure how developed she'll be since she's only a supporting character. I think that she'll be like Chihiro, the seemingly air-headed dorm teacher who dumped Shiina on Sorata and is only really there for laughs. Judging from the angry phone call she made to Sorata, I'm guessing that Yuuko is a tsudere loli.

Omniknight said:
O, God... Just what we need. Loli character with the sole purpose of fanservice...
I just hope I'm wrong and there's an actual persona, character and story behind her.
I never quite understood this whole "loli" fascination.
Children are cute. So are baby animals. I can understand that melting inside from cuteness feeling, but not the other things that are associated with lolis...
I hope that she isn't a character who's sole purpose is for fanservice. As a matter of fact, I hope that she doesn't have any fanservice at all (at least for the time being). I hope that she's there for for comedic effect and to flush out Sorata's character since she is his sister. I hope that we get to know more about Sorata's possibly quirky family and childhood through a funny and quirky Yuuko.
IconicNov 14, 2012 8:33 PM
Nov 14, 2012 8:56 PM

Sep 2012
AiCon said:
Yumekichi11 said:

Absolutely agree with AiCon. One thing Yumeichi11 always puzzles me in his overreaction with slight hint (or perception of hint) of fanservice coming, even though apparently he is one big collector of fanservice pics. Happened in SAO game, happened at just one shot of Yuuko (who is not even doing any fanservice) and jumped to conclusion that nothing will be good except pure fanservice is coming. Why so quick to draw conclusion? Why such moral indignation (which I think it pretty misguided anyway)? Yuuko of course will bring moe but I think she also has the potential to be instrumental in triggering some hidden sides of Sorata and illuminating some of the character relations. Why such a knee-jerk reaction to an appearance of a loli character?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 14, 2012 9:05 PM

Oct 2010
symbv said:
AiCon said:
Yumekichi11 said:

Absolutely agree with AiCon. One thing Yumeichi11 always puzzles me in his overreaction with slight hint (or perception of hint) of fanservice coming, even though apparently he is one big collector of fanservice pics. Happened in SAO game, happened at just one shot of Yuuko (who is not even doing any fanservice) and jumped to conclusion that nothing will be good except pure fanservice is coming. Why so quick to draw conclusion? Why such moral indignation (which I think it pretty misguided anyway)? Yuuko of course will bring moe but I think she also has the potential to be instrumental in triggering some hidden sides of Sorata and illuminating some of the character relations. Why such a knee-jerk reaction to an appearance of a loli character?
I was being sarcastic with the fan service, I don't mind it actually but it goes also in the generic and goes back to my wish of having a different view of her role in this series.
AiCon said:
Yumekichi11 said:
I can understand that. There are a lot of MOE characters in anime today. I'm not too sure how developed she'll be since she's only a supporting character. I think that she'll be like Chihiro, the seemingly air-headed dorm teacher who dumped Shiina on Sorata and is only really there for laughs. Judging from the angry phone call she made to Sorata, I'm guessing that Yuuko is a tsudere loli.
Yeah she might be indeed.

Nov 14, 2012 9:12 PM

Sep 2012
totoum said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

I think I am more on totoum's side. I also don't like the over-working and over-serious attitude portrayed positively in Japan society, but at least here it shows that there is a limit. Unlike many shounen stuff, it is not like if there is a will then everything will just work fine. Here failure beckons if you don't estimate your ability and capacity properly and if you don't listen to your friend's advice for not pushing yourself so hard. I think here the story is pretty insightful: Everyone (and I guess the author presumes the readers too) would think that Nanami should rest but Mashiro knows Nanami's character better - she knows Nanami's insistence on giving it a try and it is better that she is allowed to try for herself and then sees if she can really makes it work. A more trope/cliche treatment would then have her succeed anyway but commendably it did not end like that. Even with all the friends' help, they could only help her to get to the place but at the end it is she herself who needs to show she is ready and capable to excel in the audition. Her friends can provide the advice, and even help her on certain thing when it is urgent, but at the end it is how she treats her work-life balance and adjusts her stubbornness that is a lesson that she has to learn herself.

Nov 14, 2012 9:18 PM

Sep 2012
Yumekichi11 said:
I was being sarcastic with the fan service, I don't mind it actually but it goes also in the generic and goes back to my wish of having a different view of her role in this series.
I think you have too much of a dichotomy thinking about where moe and fanservice should be found. I mean, moe is actually almost everywhere in midnight anime. There is no way to escape it. If you think moe should just go to anime of certan genre that you would be disappointed. Sakuraso already has its share of moe scenes (image or dialogues)i. As for fan-service, it is even odder because I really wonder how you can jump to the conclusion that a loli character coming in a show must mean fan-service. I am still puzzled all those overreacting remarks by you. If you hope for a decent role for her in the series, why speak it out on that direction, why rant against any fan-service that we have yet to see and may actually not happen?

Nov 14, 2012 10:44 PM
Aug 2012
I'm glad i decided to pick this one up. Good stuff.
Nov 14, 2012 10:55 PM
Sep 2012
symbv said:
totoum said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

I think I am more on totoum's side. I also don't like the over-working and over-serious attitude portrayed positively in Japan society, but at least here it shows that there is a limit. Unlike many shounen stuff, it is not like if there is a will then everything will just work fine. Here failure beckons if you don't estimate your ability and capacity properly and if you don't listen to your friend's advice for not pushing yourself so hard. I think here the story is pretty insightful: Everyone (and I guess the author presumes the readers too) would think that Nanami should rest but Mashiro knows Nanami's character better - she knows Nanami's insistence on giving it a try and it is better that she is allowed to try for herself and then sees if she can really makes it work. A more trope/cliche treatment would then have her succeed anyway but commendably it did not end like that. Even with all the friends' help, they could only help her to get to the place but at the end it is she herself who needs to show she is ready and capable to excel in the audition. Her friends can provide the advice, and even help her on certain thing when it is urgent, but at the end it is how she treats her work-life balance and adjusts her stubbornness that is a lesson that she has to learn herself.
Isn't it true that there are lots of people in Japan who'd rather "Work to Live" than to "Live to Work"? From what I've heard about Japan, people are sort of forced to work un-godly hours due to having no other choice but to go along. Apparently, conformity to others over your own self is really big in Japan.

They're pressured from colleagues, who think that going home after you're supposed to be done with work is being lazy. They're pressured in work since if they don't go along, they'll be fired and be replaced by someone else who's willing to work those hours. They're pressured from society since it is very hard for Japanese at a certain age to be hired again. Once you're over 35, you're pretty much screwed.

Aoyama is just being a "normal" Japanese worker who's worried about landing a good career while she still can and conforming to the pressures in Japanese society.
IconicNov 14, 2012 11:40 PM
Nov 15, 2012 12:17 AM

Sep 2008
SolemnCollector said:
What part of Japan are you from? I was lucky enough to host a foreign exchange student from Japan for a whole year two years back. He was from Tokyo though so he may have been influenced by the area. He told me that Japanese people love Koreans but they hate Japanese people. But japanese people dislike chinese people.

This goes largely off-topic, but I'll leave it up for anyone who is interested. Responses to this post that don't have to do with this anime should be sent directly to me via PM or started in a new thread.

In a time where Japan is facing this delicate political situation regarding globalization, I think the Samgyetang thing was completely unnecessary. 3rd-party animators state this change was simply to make it easier to draw a delicious meal that had effort put into it as compared to the original porridge, but this Anti-Korean feeling towards this change was inevitable. It is a change from the original after all, not to mention an additive change that requires more work on the staff's part as opposed to your usual deductive change, and such a change, especially one that would obviously cause this fuss, requires sufficient reasoning, which makes the aforementioned 3rd-party idea sound like an excuse. Some say Sakurasou is aiming for another Ijime-Connect deal (the Kokoro Connect Controversy) to gain popularity in the long run, though I doubt that's true.

And yes, this Samgyetang appears in other Japanese things, like Animal Crossing for the 3DS as well as many blogs of popular artists and comedians. However, it is very different when you see a bunch of Koreans on the staff credits from an animation company that does many major works such as Bakuman and the Toaru series. Many Japanese anime directors do express concern about the over-reliance on foreign animation groups (without any racist nuance, just that it seems the quality behind raising Japanese animators are decreasing while Japanese animation companies are giving more and more opportunities for foreign animators to raise their skills), and that Japanese anime will indeed not be Japanese anymore. This may perhaps be one of the first examples where foreign animation studios influenced not only the animation but a part of the storyline, slight as it may be, though there is no certainty behind how this change came about.

In conclusion, yeah perhaps most of the people making a big fuss are idiotic internet addicts who just like to party things up. However, there is an undeniable series of reasons why this fuss is made possible.
ap19Nov 15, 2012 12:36 AM
http://www.nicovideo.jp/user/5040721
I'm Japanese, so if you have any questions regarding Japan, feel free to ask.
アメリカ育ちなので、なんか英語に関して質問があれば気軽にどうぞ。
Nov 15, 2012 3:02 AM

Sep 2012
First, I loved this episode and love the anime so much that I bought the first nine novels. The most recent one is already out of print on its first run so I have to wait for a reprint. HELLO publishers, the anime just came out and its a hit so you might want to up your print runs.

I love the characters, the comedy, the drama. Romantic comedy anime is doing well this season, Ive bought all the Tonari nl kaibutsukun and Sukitteiinayo manga too.

Next, I really hope the Korean food thing doesnt blow up and ruin the chance of another season. I love Kokoro Connect but their Seiyuu punking incident has made people fill the amazon reviews with hate. Amazon reviews must be read now, the star values are useless because of this sort of thing. I want the artists to be able to have the freedom to do what they want but these are sensitive times and controversy like this is rarely positive.

AiCon said:
symbv said:
totoum said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

Isn't it true that there are lots of people in Japan who'd rather "Work to Live" than to "Live to Work"? From what I've heard about Japan, people are sort of forced to work un-godly hours due to having no other choice but to go along. Apparently, conformity to others over your own self is really big in Japan.

They're pressured from colleagues, who think that going home after you're supposed to be done with work is being lazy. They're pressured in work since if they don't go along, they'll be fired and be replaced by someone else who's willing to work those hours. They're pressured from society since it is very hard for Japanese at a certain age to be hired again. Once you're over 35, you're pretty much screwed.

Aoyama is just being a "normal" Japanese worker who's worried about landing a good career while she still can and conforming to the pressures in Japanese society.

I have worked in Japan... Until midnight, when you go to sakaya to eat yakitori and drink beer until six am because you missed the last train. Aoyama is indeed being very Japanese in this episode. While it seems unreasonable to us, they would rather die than not show up, even if they are sick. To them, collapsing on stage would be more honorable than not showing up. She is eager to show that she can do everything on her own to achieve her dream even without the support of her parents. That part is a bit un Japanese, parents are usually to be obeyed but Japanese youth today is more willing to go against their wishes. She realized this episode that she cant do it all. Her friends couldn't convince her, she was too stubborn to believe it until she made herself sick.
Nov 15, 2012 3:55 AM

Oct 2007
AiCon said:

If she were conforming to the pressure of japanese society she'd still be living at home but working extra hard and going to cram school to try and get into a top college like Tokyo University.

Pursuing a seiyuu career isn't exactly considered "normal",it is also not considered a "good career" that's likely why her parents even refused to pay for her seiyuu school which is why she had to leave her house and has to have so many jobs so she can pay the bills.
Conforming to to the pressures of japanese society would have been to give up her hopes of a seiyuu career and stay at home with her parents.
totoumNov 15, 2012 6:53 AM
all for fun.fun for all
Nov 15, 2012 6:24 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
very interesting discussions.
Nov 15, 2012 7:03 AM

Sep 2010
@preview
No.... no.... please don't.... no loli please.
Nov 15, 2012 8:55 AM
Jan 2011
totoum said:
AiCon said:

If she were conforming to the pressure of japanese society she'd still be living at home but working extra hard and going to cram school to try and get into a top college like Tokyo University.

Pursuing a seiyuu career isn't exactly considered "normal",it is also not considered a "good career" that's likely why her parents even refused to pay for her seiyuu school which is why she had to leave her house and has to have so many jobs so she can pay the bills.
Conforming to to the pressures of japanese society would have been to give up her hopes of a seiyuu career and stay at home with her parents.

I thought being a seiyuu was seen as actually pretty respectable.
Nov 15, 2012 1:58 PM

Aug 2011
SolemnCollector said:

Maybe for otakus, but I thought anything related to anime wasn't respected in the general japanese society.
Nov 15, 2012 2:11 PM

Oct 2010
CrimsonPhantom said:
SolemnCollector said:

Maybe for otakus, but I thought anything related to anime wasn't respected in the general japanese society.
It's true but only cause of shows like Manyuu and Maken-Ki.

Nov 15, 2012 2:40 PM
Sep 2012
hpulley said:
I have worked in Japan... Until midnight, when you go to sakaya to eat yakitori and drink beer until six am because you missed the last train.
One would think that the trains would run 24 hours in a country so dependent on public transportation - at least in the big cities like Tokyo.

totoum said:

I meant her attitude towards pursuing a seiyu career. I realize that most Japanese strive for a corporate job, doctor, or other "respectable" careers.

Yumekichi11 said:
CrimsonPhantom said:
SolemnCollector said:

That sucks. Does this mean that my favorite seiyus like Kana Hanazawa, Haruka Tomatsu or Aki Toyosaki wouldn't be all that respected outside the anime realm?
Nov 15, 2012 5:26 PM
Jan 2011
AiCon said:
hpulley said:
I have worked in Japan... Until midnight, when you go to sakaya to eat yakitori and drink beer until six am because you missed the last train.
One would think that the trains would run 24 hours in a country so dependent on public transportation - at least in the big cities like Tokyo.

totoum said:

I meant her attitude towards pursuing a seiyu career. I realize that most Japanese strive for a corporate job, doctor, or other "respectable" careers.

Yumekichi11 said:
CrimsonPhantom said:
SolemnCollector said:

That sucks. Does this mean that my favorite seiyus like Kana Hanazawa, Haruka Tomatsu or Aki Toyosaki wouldn't be all that respected outside the anime realm?

I'm thinking of mainstream seiyus though.
Nov 15, 2012 5:36 PM

Oct 2010
AiCon said:
Yumekichi11 said:
CrimsonPhantom said:
SolemnCollector said:

If they would tell let's say a new company of their old job as that? YES! Totally would get washed out. They would think he is a bad moral person for the company and would not engage him. Same for some schools.

Nov 15, 2012 8:51 PM

Nov 2008
Lovely episode, but I would like a resolution to the problem the two sempais have.

That part where she was talking to the stuffed animal was the best.
Nov 16, 2012 12:54 PM

Oct 2012
ClementIV said:
Lovely episode, but I would like a resolution to the problem the two sempais have.

That part where she was talking to the stuffed animal was the best.
It will come, just be patient.
Nov 16, 2012 3:50 PM

Apr 2012
I'm getting the same heartwarming feeling from this series as I got from Hanasaku Iroha, although the plot and setting is different.

I wish we'd see more of Chihiro-sensei though :3
Nov 17, 2012 3:27 AM

Oct 2011
this episode made me shed some tears. ack. I'm waiting for Jin ang Misaki's development!!! <3
Nov 18, 2012 9:08 AM

Jul 2012
LostHanyou said:
belatkuro said:
I'm still rooting for her even if the rules say she won't win. Go Nanami!

We can hope, bro.

Ditto
Nov 18, 2012 8:33 PM

Oct 2012
This was a nice episode :) Mashiro is just too kawaii! <3

Nov 19, 2012 3:57 AM

Mar 2011
Nanami and Nanami became friends
Rope climbing is trending? XD
Talented people need to work hard too, that's a really good point
Heartwarming episode
Nov 19, 2012 6:51 AM

Oct 2010
This show is probably one of the higher ranked in MAL from this Fall season. It's only a few positions behind Magi and Chuunibyou. That is a great surprise, since I love this anime!
Nov 19, 2012 1:58 PM

Aug 2010
Great episode, Nanami and Mashiro were cute this episode. Nanami and Mashiro have both gotten better for me in this episode.
Nov 20, 2012 5:50 PM

Jun 2012
That was a really good episode, it seems like problems are once again fixed, although it seemed kind of quick and not that developed with Aoyama.
I wonder what's next.
5/5.

Nov 20, 2012 8:50 PM

Oct 2010
symbv said:
This thread is a lot more peaceful and soothing compared to the forums in Japan (such things do happen). In Japan just because the food cooked by Sorata was changed from the congee in the LN to a Korean dish, the nationalists kicked up big fusses in all those forums and even wrote a bunch of 1-star review in Amazon for the BD vol.1

Such overreacting nationalism so vocal in Japanese internet is the one thing I really hate to see there. I really doubt how many of those ranters were following the anime. They seem to just flock to wherever they can rant against perceived enemies like Korea and China.
Oh really? I was not aware of that.

Well who cares, their stupidity, stress over it and moronic attitude shall be thee end of them.

Watch as both blow up in cinders over their wrath that blinds them over trivial matters. To the saddest of both being extinct.

For a food change of this episode, none of those races deserve to live. Both need to get along or ultimately kill themselves is what my IMO of this.

Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Mar 25, 2013

641 by Wholesome_Seeker »»
May 13, 10:51 AM

Poll: » Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2013

402 by HandSonicPlayer »»
May 4, 11:16 AM

Poll: » Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2012

246 by Kristhian1_ »»
May 1, 2:28 PM

Poll: » Best Girl

Shizuna - Mar 23, 2022

29 by Mochi_i »»
Mar 31, 10:42 AM

Poll: » Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 11, 2013

227 by JoaoPedru »»
Mar 24, 11:43 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.