Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (14) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Nov 11, 2012 1:26 AM
Sep 2011
massd said:

As for changing characters, I'm pretty sure that each player can only have one character...it fits, given that any game with the possibility of multiple characters would definitely not encourage the level of commitment that the ALO players display.

No, people can have many characters(with different game copies, LN vol 7), but usually one is used. Players can send messages only to their friends, so Recon in any case had to contact IRL.
Nov 11, 2012 1:33 AM

Jun 2009
From a non-novel viewer, I'd call this one of the better episode... MMO world aspect wise.

Liked the formation.
Liked the city in neutral zone.
Water monster that'd be tough without the help of Undine.
And... Killing leader to collect taxes from other region. Awesome!

And... The bads..

Kirito got sidetrack instead of saving his precious wife who he cried like a lil-bitch over...

Could've teamed up with Salamander for saving the more important Asuna... (ffs, get your priorities straight!)

So it's important to be nice even in games because apparently, being bad in games affect your real life now? As a gamer who usually go for the "evil" route... I'm having mixed reaction about this. On one hand, it felt chivalrous, on another, it felt so pretentious it's amusing.

Come on... At least have a scene where it shows Kirito considering going ahead alone because he's RUNNING OUT OF DAMN TIME!!! (Or at least, think about his benefits if he is to help Sylph and Cait-Sith)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 11, 2012 1:33 AM
Sep 2012
well that was another great episode ! really wanna see the episode where kirito ans yui finallay meeet asuna :)
Nov 11, 2012 1:43 AM

Jan 2009
I swear, the humor in this episode was seriously funny. I just loved that trade offer - it's funny cuz it's true, lol. The battle was entertaining as well.

Really enjoyable episode imo.
Nov 11, 2012 1:52 AM
Oct 2012
The fight was not nearly as awesome as I imagined it while reading.
And they really fail to deliver the sense of urgency in ALO that I had while reading it, at least in my opinion.
Nov 11, 2012 1:56 AM

Oct 2011
Suguha/Lyfa is such a wonderful character! She has WAY more personality then Asuna. She also brings out more of Kirito's fun personality as well. I've never liked Asuna in the first place. I think people like her because of her beauty and that's it. But that's just my opinion.
Nov 11, 2012 2:06 AM

Jun 2009
Erzaa said:
Suguha/Lyfa is such a wonderful character! She has WAY more personality then Asuna. She also brings out more of Kirito's fun personality as well. I've never liked Asuna in the first place. I think people like her because of her beauty and that's it. But that's just my opinion.

From my understanding

People like her because apparently she's a perfect female character.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 11, 2012 2:09 AM

Aug 2009
AirStyles said:
Erzaa said:

From my understanding

People like Asuna because she is/was the female lead.

Just like those that prefer Saber,Rukia or Orihime etc

Asuna isnt even perfect compared to other girls of SAO.
Nov 11, 2012 2:20 AM

Jun 2009
ssjokg said:
AirStyles said:
Erzaa said:

From my understanding

Saber, Rukia, Orihime and Asuna... (Didn't like any of them)

Looks like I have a tendency of not liking main female lead...
Nov 11, 2012 2:21 AM

Aug 2009
AirStyles said:
ssjokg said:
AirStyles said:
Erzaa said:

From my understanding

Saber, Rukia, Orihime and Asuna... (Didn't like any of them)

Looks like I have a tendency of not liking main female lead...

It's better than liking them for being the female lead.
Nov 11, 2012 2:24 AM
Aug 2009
ssjokg said:
AirStyles said:
Erzaa said:

From my understanding

Kirito X Lizbet for life.
Nov 11, 2012 2:25 AM

Aug 2009
massd said:
ssjokg said:
AirStyles said:
Erzaa said:

From my understanding

As long as Shinon never ends up with Kirito I am fine with any pairing.
Nov 11, 2012 2:38 AM

Jun 2009
massd said:
ssjokg said:
AirStyles said:
Erzaa said:

From my understanding

SACHI! T_T

Why????!!!!
Nov 11, 2012 2:39 AM

Aug 2009
AirStyles said:
massd said:
ssjokg said:
AirStyles said:
Erzaa said:

From my understanding

SACHI! T_T

Why????!!!!

Somewhere in a parallel universe Sachi is alive.
Nov 11, 2012 2:40 AM

Jun 2009
ssjokg said:
AirStyles said:
massd said:
ssjokg said:
AirStyles said:
Erzaa said:

From my understanding

SACHI! T_T

Why????!!!!

El, Psy, Congroo.

This must be the choice of Steins;Gate
Nov 11, 2012 2:44 AM
Aug 2009
AirStyles said:
massd said:
ssjokg said:
AirStyles said:
Erzaa said:

From my understanding

SACHI! T_T

Why????!!!!

...holy shit.
New OTP for me: KiritoxSachi

Also Yui X Silica

And Shinon X Lyfa
Nov 11, 2012 2:46 AM

Aug 2009
AirStyles said:
ssjokg said:
AirStyles said:
massd said:
ssjokg said:
AirStyles said:
Erzaa said:

From my understanding

SACHI! T_T

Why????!!!!

El, Psy, Congroo.

This must be the choice of Steins;Gate

Or another kakera.

I support ShinonxLyfa
Nov 11, 2012 3:03 AM

Sep 2012
MasterMeNL said:
I feel that this could've and should've been a lot better. Great music and sound in general, great animation but the direction is just really bad. This was a better episode than the previous ones imo since something actually happened. But this is still too slow-paced imo.
Go in a cave! => Oh noes something happens! => Go out the way we came!
... is the author running out of ideas of something?
I think music and sound is great, animation is competent and what we have in this episode can easily be one of the better in this anime. But I am not sure there is really bad directing though. To me this is one of the better directed episodes. It shows us great battle, and one that is vastly different from battles we have seen so far in SAO and ALO. It gave us more interactions of the characters including the less often seen Recon/Shinichi and Yui. It shows us a bit of the serious sides as well as funny sides of Kirito. It reveals a lot more about the politics and intrigues of this game world. And we met a turning point in this arc. All in one episode and it does not look rushed (in fact, as happens to you, some even feel it is slow-paced).

And I think the idea of using a monster that exists in SAO (and probably never seen by those ALO players) to spread panic and break the morale of those players so that they can no longer sustain the formation to hold Kirito at bay is pretty smart.

While I heard some who have read the LN lament that quite a bit of monologues have been cut for Kirito, but at least what the anime got him to say has some of the most significant message that I think the author wanted to tell us, like not abandoning a team mate in the middle or what he commented about the thinking of "Anything goes in a game. I kill if I want to kill. I rob if I want to rob."

So all in all I think this episode is one of the best episodes in this series.
symbvNov 11, 2012 3:07 AM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 11, 2012 3:04 AM
Mar 2012
best ep of this arc so far. Kirito likes biting fingers... last time was for soy sauce.
Nice action. Seems like he's proving to Lyfa he fits a Spriggan & they're actually useful (provided high enough stats for Gleameyes).
The references/coincidence were quite fun, Mawaru penguindrum, & Lyfa has 4+ Capybara-san!? Naruto references all over the place.
Kirito's tactics seem silly before going OP. maybe he can try a lightning jutsu against the earth barrier. I expected "illusion magic" of Spriggans to be like genjutsu, just visual tricks, but seems the monster (kuchiyose no jutsu!) helps his range and hence overall speed.

looking forward, but hope they learn better tactics since they'll deal with an army.
Nov 11, 2012 3:12 AM

Sep 2012
gophercg said:
Lyfa has 4+ Capybara-san!?
Capybara-san is really popular in Japan, and it is lovely to see them stacked up like Suguha did to her Capybara-san's.

gophercg said:
I expected "illusion magic" of Spriggans to be like genjutsu, just visual tricks, but seems the monster (kuchiyose no jutsu!) helps his range and hence overall speed..
I think it only looks that way because of the super-high level of speed, dexterity and strength that Kirito has. Once fear spreads among the shield wall players and the formation showed gap that Kirito could exploit, Kirito could just decimate them in quick sweeps of killer attacks.
symbvNov 11, 2012 3:20 AM

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 11, 2012 3:15 AM

Aug 2009
Awesome episode Kirito experiencing being a boss monster and slaughtering with one-hit kill attacks!^_^
gophercg said:
I expected "illusion magic" of Spriggans to be like genjutsu, just visual tricks, but seems the monster (kuchiyose no jutsu!) helps his range and hence overall speed.

looking forward, but hope they learn better tactics since they'll deal with an army.
Seems like the illusion magic is tangible but supposed to be weak (like low HP and can easily be destroyed) however, Kirito's overpowered stats + illusion magic makes that illusion so strong. Epic, really. If he's against an army, maybe an army of strong illusions will make up for it.
VerneJulesNov 11, 2012 3:19 AM
Nov 11, 2012 3:18 AM
Jul 2012
ssjokg said:
What are you sayin' Don't even dare compare Asuna to Lizbet. Lizbet is nothin' NOTHIN' and Sachi I don't even...
Of course Asuna is nothing compare to Silica-sama but Asuna is perfect in every way compared to those two.

Who is always cooking for Kirito-kun? Asuna
Who saved Kirito-kun from fishzilla? Asuna hell, she's saved Kirito-kun's ass so many times than I can count.

Sachi contribute nothing but despair. Lizbet only forging a sword for Kirito-kun omg don't even dare compare Asuna to those two. Jizz, just because you hate Asuna doesn't mean you can say anything you want. She's mai waifu. You got to remember that.
Signature removed. See your messages for more information.
Nov 11, 2012 3:21 AM

Jun 2009
FailAtLife said:
ssjokg said:
What are you sayin' Don't even dare compare Asuna to Lizbet. Lizbet is nothin' NOTHIN' and Sachi I don't even...
Of course Asuna is nothing compare to Silica-sama but Asuna is perfect in every way compared to those two.

Who saved Kirito-kun from fishzilla? Asuna hell, she's saved Kirito-kun's ass so many times than I can count.

Sachi contribute nothing but despair. Lizbet only forging a sword for Kirito-kun omg don't even dare compare Asuna to those two. Jizz, just because you hate Asuna doesn't mean you can say anything you want. She's mai waifu. You got to remember that.

Must... Not... Laug... BWAHAHAHAHHAA
Nov 11, 2012 3:23 AM

Aug 2009
AirStyles said:
FailAtLife said:
ssjokg said:

Must... Not... Laug... BWAHAHAHAHHAA

Resist. Resist.Resist.
Nov 11, 2012 3:36 AM

Oct 2009
interesting berserk battle ^^'

but not enough asuna in this arc <.<;

ssf4ae (pc) : misterCybou
sc2 : CybE // 665
Nov 11, 2012 4:19 AM
Aug 2009
FailAtLife said:
ssjokg said:

I like your name :)
Nov 11, 2012 5:16 AM

Oct 2010
Xaliuss said:
wishbook said:
(All pics on spoiler tags)

Yay! This is SAO alright. Anyone messing with Kirito's harem will be severely punished!

Questions:

1. Why can't they just fly over the wall? Or even easier, fly through the side?

2. Recon can still see and follow Sigurd and his men even after they wore the invisible cloak (lol Harry Potter)? How?

3. Why are the Salamanders so pathetic? Kirito could probably take out 100 of them alone with his Gleam-eyed form.

4. When Kirito grabbed Lyfa's hand and ran through the monsters, those monsters suddenly made a way for them? Oh nice monsters.

1. They can't fly undeground, they need sun or moon shine to use wings.
2. Recon is very good in tracking, so just invisibility cloak was not enough.
3. Kirito is really strong, and spell only increased his strength. Salamanders also panicked, so they couldn't do anything.
4. The monsters tried to block, but Kirito saw the gap and ran through.

1. I see. Moon or sun is necessary to be able to fly...
2. This picture

It's taken from Recon's POV, right?

But even in his POV, Sigurd is completely invisible. So how did he follow Sigurd and his men? Do they appear on a minimap on Recon's screen or something?
3. I thought Illusion magic isn't useful for combat?
4. I didn't think so

~ IA- Aria on the Planetes ~ Vocaloid V3 voiced by LiA (Clannad Afterstory, Angel Beats! theme song singer)
Nov 11, 2012 5:20 AM

Sep 2012
damn, this arc is getting more terrible with each new episode. I want to drop it but I've come too far. Only 6 eps remaining, must complete.
Nov 11, 2012 5:25 AM

Aug 2009
wishbook said:
Xaliuss said:
wishbook said:
(All pics on spoiler tags)

Yay! This is SAO alright. Anyone messing with Kirito's harem will be severely punished!

Questions:

1. Why can't they just fly over the wall? Or even easier, fly through the side?

2. Recon can still see and follow Sigurd and his men even after they wore the invisible cloak (lol Harry Potter)? How?

3. Why are the Salamanders so pathetic? Kirito could probably take out 100 of them alone with his Gleam-eyed form.

4. When Kirito grabbed Lyfa's hand and ran through the monsters, those monsters suddenly made a way for them? Oh nice monsters.

1. They can't fly undeground, they need sun or moon shine to use wings.
2. Recon is very good in tracking, so just invisibility cloak was not enough.
3. Kirito is really strong, and spell only increased his strength. Salamanders also panicked, so they couldn't do anything.
4. The monsters tried to block, but Kirito saw the gap and ran through.

1. I see. Moon or sun is necessary to be able to fly...
2. This picture

It's taken from Recon's POV, right?

But even in his POV, Sigurd is completely invisible. So how did he follow Sigurd and his men? Do they appear on a minimap on Recon's screen or something?
3. I thought Illusion magic isn't useful for combat?
4. I didn't think so

2.You see Recon having green eyes.He is using a tracing skill.Similar to the one the Salamanders used to find Lyfa and Kirito.
Later when they hear Recons' footsteps the Salamander that fires an arrow at him also has his eyes green showing that he is also using his tracing skill to target Recon.
3.It isnt if you arent really high on stats.But more precisely Kirito's power didnt change.Only his looks did.He could transform into a rabbit and he would still have the same power.
4.Director's fault
Nov 11, 2012 5:25 AM
Aug 2012
Kirito's transformation so surprising-
Nov 11, 2012 5:33 AM
Sep 2011
wishbook said:

2. I think they may appear on minimap, or Recon used some tracking space. Full mechanics of it wasn't describeв in LN either, but he is really good at hiding and tracing and was caught due his natural clumsiness. It was not fully his PoV, so we didn't see all details.
3. Salamanders also thought this. That spell ruined their formation, where casters could attack, and healers heal tanks, which were blocking Kirito attacks. In direct 1x1 combat no one of them had any chances.
4. Just not really good animated, maybe 2-3 seconds more would show Kirito's moving more clearly.
Nov 11, 2012 5:51 AM

Jul 2007
ANOTHER awesome episode. Way better than previous one(since the previous one was a bit slow and only had an awesome end).

Loving the politics and how realistic and comparable to real life mmos they are. And Kirito continues to be hilarious and awesome lead character who has enough flaws and good sides to be likeable.

5/5

AirStyles said:

SACHI! T_T

Why????!!!!

Isn't it sad, SacchinSachi?
Nov 11, 2012 5:55 AM

Sep 2012
I almost lowered the score of this series because of this single episode. WTF was that battle... He turns into Gloom Eyes and that's it? Everybody's fucked up? And don't tell me this have something to do with his SAO character that got transferred. He shouldn't be that much OP.

This is also shit ->

"The spell Kirito casting is an illusion magic that makes a player look like a monster. But the magic is not useful in actual combat. Because the shape depends randomly on the player's combat skills, usually the result is some weak monster, with no change in stats, since most people are aware of this it won't frighten them." - LNv4p215

That's basically saying any high level spriggan could go boss mode and take down an entire platoon, not talking about a group high level spriggans... This episode was a fucking joke.
Nov 11, 2012 5:58 AM
Aug 2012
DELiTO said:
I almost lowered the score of this series because of this single episode. WTF was that battle... He turns into Gloom Eyes and that's it? Everybody's fucked up? And don't tell me this have something to do with his SAO character that got transferred. He shouldn't be that much OP.

This is also shit ->

"The spell Kirito casting is an illusion magic that makes a player look like a monster. But the magic is not useful in actual combat. Because the shape depends randomly on the player's combat skills, usually the result is some weak monster, with no change in stats, since most people are aware of this it won't frighten them." - LNv4p215

That's basically saying any high level spriggan could go boss mode and take down an entire platoon, not talking about a group high level spriggans... This episode was a fucking joke.

Please continue bringing logic to these threads, seriously. Look at all the people raving how good that scene was...
Nov 11, 2012 6:01 AM

Apr 2009
DELiTO said:

This is also shit ->

I like how they all get scared despite knowing that it is just an illusion. And whoever thought illusion magic is useless to begin with is a retard, in most older RPGs this type of magic was glorious and this is yet another example of how most the RPG elements in this series don't make any fucking sense. Nine races and only one can turn into an Alf..this would kill the lategame as everyone would either quit or make a new character that could turn into an Alf. The writing is atrocious.
NidhoeggrNov 11, 2012 6:06 AM
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Nov 11, 2012 6:06 AM

Aug 2009
Nidhoeggr said:
DELiTO said:

This is also shit ->

I like hoe they all get scared despite knowing that it is just an illusion. And whoever thought illusion magic is useless to begin with is a retard, in most older RPGs this type of magic was glorious and this is yet another example of how most the RPg elements in this series don't make any fucking sense. Nine races and only one can turn into an alf..this would kill the lategame as everyone would either quit or make a new character that could turn into an Alf. The writing is atrocious.

lol plz continue.
Nov 11, 2012 6:07 AM

Apr 2009
Then tell me: How does this make sense? Please, I'm waiting.
Nov 11, 2012 6:11 AM

Aug 2009
Nidhoeggr said:

1:the caster turns into a monster not one of the races.Alf is one of the races even if it the trophy for the other nine.
2:Have you played a VMMO in your life?No.Neither have I but how do you know that it is not scary?
It's the same as watching a good horror film.Why would you get scared if it's fake AND in the TV screen.AND if you can be scared by something in the TV screen why is it weird to be scared by something that is "real" in a Virtual world?

Of course I doubt that this will make sense to you.
ssjokgNov 11, 2012 6:16 AM
Nov 11, 2012 6:15 AM

Aug 2009
Dessiato said:
DELiTO said:

This is also shit ->

Please continue bringing logic to these threads, seriously. Look at all the people raving how good that scene was...

If your opponent is an idiot yeah, you will win even if you transform into a rabbit with horns.

So all the Spriggans will go in high lvls but all the other races will be as weak as shit?
Nov 11, 2012 6:16 AM

Apr 2009
ssjokg said:
Nidhoeggr said:

1:the caster turns into a monster not one of the races.Alf is one of the races even if it the trophy for the other nine.
2:Have you played a VMMO in your life?No.Neither have I bu how do you know that it is not scary?
It's the same as watching a good horror film.Why would you get scared if it's fake AND in the TV screen.AND if you can be scared by something in the TV screen why is it weird to be scared by something that is "real" in a Virtual world?

1. It was established that nobody was scared at illusion magic because even if it looks realistic most players ignore it and just attack like normal. This would especially apply for a party that hunts down someone who is KNOWN to have such a magic because of his race.
2. It doesn't amplify stats, so they should still have way higher damage output against him despite his extended range. They also mentioned how they designed the party to go against him, which implies proper equipment (special resistance, etc.)
3. If illusion magic is so powerful in the hands of a single inexperienced player, why don't other - more experienced Spriggan - players utilze it to the same effect?
4. Illusion magic the way it is presented here IS useful in combat, which contradict the rules established by the author himself during the past few episodes.

Tell me again that this not a convenient asspull by the writer. I want to laugh. The writer once again showed us that Kirito is a fucking Gary Stu because apparently he is the only player in the whole game that can use illusion magic to frighten people that were prepared to fight against illusion magic, had an advantage in numbers and specifically tried to hunt him down. This is so unintentionally funny... these guys fought Spriggans for months before Kirito appeared but of course sugoi Kirito-kun with his next-to-none experience can scare them.

About the other matter: The game balance would still be fucked up the very moment Alfs appear in the game. Why would ANYONE play as his former race when alfs have the biggest possible advantage in the entire game? The design is so obviously flawed.
NidhoeggrNov 11, 2012 6:29 AM
Nov 11, 2012 6:24 AM

Sep 2012
Dessiato said:
DELiTO said:

This is also shit ->

But the fact is what DELiTO said was not logical. This makes you who supports his "logic" also not logical.

As the LN said, the stats do not change, but the look depends on the player. So even a high level spriggan cannot just go boss mode (states do not change). The post is a fucking joke.

Nov 11, 2012 6:31 AM
Oct 2012
DELiTO said:

This is also shit ->

The spell doesn't change his stats. He does the same amount of damage in demon form as he did before. It just won him the battle because he was able to pick off one of the tanks that was terrified and broke formation.
Nov 11, 2012 6:32 AM

Sep 2012
Nidhoeggr said:

1. It was established that nobody was scared at illusion magic because even if it looks realistic most players ignore it and just attack like normal. This would especially apply for a party that hunts down someone who is KNOWN to have such a magic because of his race.
2. It doesn't amplify stats, so they should still have way higher damage output against him despite his extended range. They also mentioned how they designed the party to go against him, which implies proper equipment (special resistance, etc.)
3. If illusion magic is so powerful in the hands of a single player, why don't other - more experienced Spriggan - players utilze it to the same effect?
4. Illusion magic the way it is presented here IS useful in combat, which contradict the rules established by the author himself during the past few episodes.

Tell me again that this not a convenient asspull by the writer. I want to laugh.
Points 1 and 2 are correct. But 3 and 4 are doubtful.

Basically it was established that Kirito is at Cheater level in this game, but it still has its limit when facing well-organised and planned defense (your point 2). The key is to get them to lose the coherence of the formation and expose gaps for Kirito to get through the shield wall. Given Kirito's super-high cheater level, that supposedly harmless magic was able to transform him into the appearance of a monster that is never seen by those ALO players before and far more scary than any monster ever showed up in ALO. The panic caused gaps to come up on the shield wall which Kirito quickly exploited and once he was behind the shield wall line, everything was just a massacre against the Salamandars.

I don't know why it is so hard to understand the logic. I did not read the novel but I do not find it hard to understand. The animation could have made it clearer I am sure. Later I read that the bridge is supposed to be narrower so the shield wall extends all the way to both sides of the bridge way. That would make better sense because otherwise Kirito could just use his superior speed to envelop from the flank.
symbvNov 11, 2012 6:37 AM

Nov 11, 2012 6:32 AM
Aug 2012
Presenting feedback on an epsiode and what it has given us is different from referencing the novel.

As far as we are concerned, Kirito's spriggan racial just gave him a godly power upgrade.

That is called bad conveyance, what we can interperet is limited when the adapted source won't bother to go in depth.
Nov 11, 2012 6:35 AM

Sep 2012
Dessiato said:
Presenting feedback on an epsiode and what it has given us is different from referencing the novel.

As far as we are concerned, Kirito's spriggan racial just gave him a godly power upgrade.

That is called bad conveyance, what we can interperet is limited when the adapted source won't bother to go in depth.
In the anime it was already explained by Lyfea that the illusion magic did not make one more powerful. It was not a godly power upgrade. I guess you just have a case of badly misunderstanding what is clear in the anime. There are things that I wish the anime would have made clearer in conveyance, but not this case.

And I did not read the novel.

Nov 11, 2012 6:37 AM

Jul 2007
ssjokg said:
Nidhoeggr said:

2:Have you played a VMMO in your life?No.Neither have I but how do you know that it is not scary?

^Pretty much this.

A person can laugh at horror movie but if someone sets up a scare for him IRL, he can still be scared to hell.

Not to mention Kirito transformed into something that is litterally from another game. Even IF it was a normal mmo with a screen separating you from that world, most players would go WTF at seeing something unexpected and new.

And in this case, what Kirito did is an equivalent of Ring lady appearing in your room.

All that was needed was demoralizing the enemy troops(which is a BASIC rule of any competitive game, mmo or not - disrupt the teamwork and the enemy is fucked). Kirito's haxx stats took care of everything else.

Gods, I love it when people try to invent new plotholes by ignoring what is presented in the show.
Nov 11, 2012 6:37 AM
Aug 2012
symbv said:
Dessiato said:

In the anime it was already explained by Lyfea that the illusion magic did not make one more powerful. It was not a godly power upgrade. I guess you just have a case of badly misunderstanding what is clear in the anime.

And I did not read the novel.

Except it was conveyed to show the opposite.

The animation and direction made it appear as if what was previously mentioned became void.

The problem is, the illusion is not an illusion, it is changing his mass, and allowing extended combat range and effectiveness, considering he impaled a soldier several feet above the ground.

The rules of illusion magic just took a 180, there is no explanation for the reallocated mass, and strength to support that mass moving at that speed.
Nov 11, 2012 6:38 AM
Oct 2012
Dessiato said:

Kirito was able to onehit the players that threatened Lyfa before. So how was it a power upgrade that he could now onehit them again?
Everyone agrees that the adaption fucks up on several points, that has been clear for 4 months now, but I don't see why we shouldn't answer questions with knowledge from the LNs.
Nov 11, 2012 6:39 AM
Aug 2012
whatever123456 said:
Dessiato said:

Kirito was able to onehit the players that threatened Lyfa before. So how was it a power upgrade that he could now onehit them again?
Everyone agrees that the adaption fucks up on several points, that has been clear for 4 months now, but I don't see why we shouldn't answer questions with knowledge from the LNs.

Read my previous post.
Nov 11, 2012 6:39 AM

Apr 2009
symbv said:
Nidhoeggr said:

3. If illusion magic is so powerful in the hands of a single player, why don't other - more experienced Spriggan - players utilze it to the same effect?

Tell me again that this not a convenient asspull by the writer. I want to laugh.
Points 1 and 2 are correct. But 3 and 4 are doubtful.

Basically it was established that Kirito is at Cheater level in this game, but it still has its limit when facing well-organised and planned defense (your point 2). The key is to get them to lose the coherence of the formation and expose gaps for Kirito to get through the shield wall. Given Kirito's super-high cheater level, that supposedly harmless magic was able to transform him into a monster that is never seen by those ALO players before and far more scary than any monster ever showed up in ALO. The panic caused gaps to come up on the shield wall which Kirito quickly exploited and once he was behind the shield wall line, everything was just a massacre against the Salamandars.

I don't know why it is so hard to understand the logic. I did not read the novel but I do not find it hard to understand. The animation could have made it clearer I am sure. Later I read that the bridge is supposed to be narrower so the shield wall extends all the way to both sides of the bridge way. That would make better sense because otherwise Kirito could just use his superior speed to envelop from the flank.

For something that was supposed to be easy to understand you had a lot of explaining to do. I see it once again is an example of a failed adaption as an anime-only viewer quickly perceives the problems I described and only gets very brief hints.
Additionally, the very fact that kirito is at "cheater level" already can be seen as bad writing because imho this is nothing but a bad fanwank and takes away from a true sense of achievement that should be present in an adventure story with such a strong focus on (pseudo) RPG elements.
Pages (14) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

72 by katnissmaezie »»
May 16, 1:05 AM

» What even is SAO anymore? ( 1 2 )

Jason-Skyrunner - Apr 27

53 by soli1239 »»
May 6, 8:27 PM

» We need a reboot

Superninjaboy2 - Mar 15

32 by Jason-Skyrunner »»
May 1, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 8, 2012

480 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2012

734 by amf85 »»
Apr 26, 7:25 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.