Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Black Butler
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 30, 2008 9:54 AM

Apr 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Man, that beginning was CREEPY. The OST is glorious. The extra scenes that the anime added went so well with the dark atmosphere, it was incredible.

When it was revealed what Grell really was... That was great too. Jun Fukuyama chose a completely eccentric way of speech for Grell, I love it! And Madam Red's entrance... So great.

This is also the first episode that I notice it's Paku Romi who voiced Madam Red. The desperation in her voice, her screams... They felt so real. Madam Red's story is also so depressing... It was beautiful to see it on screen. The monochrome flashbacks with only a touch of red was brilliant. I simply loved it.

Next episode: The continuation of Grell and Sebastian's epic fight! And I also see an important character makes his appearance. I simply love the studio handling this.
Oct 30, 2008 12:30 PM
Nov 2007
Is the raw comes out ??
i could`t find it :"\

oh maaaan !! , i cant wait to see this episode , waiting is killing me !!!
Oct 30, 2008 1:26 PM
Jul 2018
There is a FLV raw out there, seems like Horrible wasn't uploading any raw today?

Chainsaw action wtf? But was a nice fight they had besides this wrong weapon.
The flashback of Madame Red were incredible.
And "Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen" at the beginning was nice either :)
Oct 30, 2008 1:55 PM

Jul 2008

*Mod edit*
aeroNov 17, 2008 3:56 PM
Oops! I appear to be incapable of following Rules 16 and 17, so I had to have a mod change my sig for me.
Oct 30, 2008 4:42 PM

Jul 2007
GREEELLLLL~ \o/ I've been anticipating this episode for a while now, and I am pleased. I really liked the bgm at the beginning of the episode. Taku Iwasaki is becoming one of my favorite music composers. I can't wait for the OST to come out. :D

I would have preferred that Madame Red's flashback scene be a little longer, but this is also fine. The cinematic feel and the the emphasis on red added a great touch. I was worried that the animators were trying to fit the entire rest of the arc into one episode, given the pacing of the episode, so I'm relieved that this arc will be extended to one more episode after all. Grell needs as much screentime as possible~
Oct 31, 2008 3:56 PM

Jun 2008
they adapted it perfectly, and i'm happy they kept the kitty scene :D

Madame Red T__________T
Nov 2, 2008 9:05 PM
Dec 2007
overall an excellent episode! The fights scenes were just amazing. Like others have mentioned, the flashbacks, the choice of colors and music suited the whole atmosphere madam's red tragic life was trying to convey.

I love grell's character, disturbing, creepy, and funny all together. This is the best episode imo so far.
Nov 4, 2008 12:39 PM

Oct 2008
Man, I love Grell. Read the manga, so I was excited for this. As much as I loved Madame Red, I cheered when Grell killed her just because yay, bloody fighting! I'm a horrible person, aren't I? ;O;
Nov 5, 2008 3:09 PM

Sep 2008
i was waiting more accion.. well .. in the next week will be..
Nov 5, 2008 9:01 PM

Sep 2008
i thought this story is more like in the end of the manga
is this anime gonna be 13 eps or 26?
Nov 10, 2008 5:48 PM

Sep 2008
Bloody fight scenes :D (I know, I'm a morbid person >.<)
Yay for plot twists/more action/Madam Red's backstory before she dies.
This series is getting better, hope it continues at this pace.
Can't wait till the next episode is subbed, looks like there'll be more action~
Nov 10, 2008 9:22 PM

Dec 2007
Okay so the bloody fight was expected. Grell's as awesome as alway but he triggered Madam Red's memory which really touched me :(
& Ciel's father resembles Sebastian a lot. I've been thinking about that like ever since I started the manga and the anime now ><
Can't wait for more epic fight scenes :D
Nov 11, 2008 9:12 AM

Dec 2007
All this series needs to do to be perfect, is to lose all the gay parts. BA fights!
Reality...
is what we make it to be.

Nov 11, 2008 9:41 AM

Jul 2008
R1seAgainst said:
i thought this story is more like in the end of the manga
is this anime gonna be 13 eps or 26?

Dunno. I just saw a ? and went with it.

I've gotta say, that episode was outstanding. I don't read the manga like a lot of you, but it was perfectly and deliciously dramatic, and in a way touching. I didn't really see their whole connection to Jack until this episode started. I hated watching Madam Red die, I liked her :(

Can't wait to see the rest of the fight when the next episode gets subbed >.<

"I'd suck you~" Berri||Desu Ne?
Nov 11, 2008 11:38 AM

Feb 2008
Another good episode, I did not see that coming. Madam Red and her butler were Jack the Ripper and the butler is a death god? I guess that's what they need to create a worthy adversary for Sebastian.

Madam Red seemed to have actual reasons for her hatred and murders, which is good, a villain with a reason is much better than an insane one.

Lambo: I find all the gay parts hilarious, which I'm pretty sure is the reason they're there.

Edit: I thought Greil sound familiar and it's Fukuyama Jun, the voice of Lelouch. That man is a fucking master at creating new voices.
kuroshiroiNov 11, 2008 11:44 AM
Nov 11, 2008 12:58 PM
Dec 2007
Kitty! :D
Have to say I didn't see that one coming. Surprised me to hear that Madame Red was apart of the Jack the Ripper killings...
Nov 11, 2008 1:41 PM

May 2008
I just love this series. LOOOOOVE. I must read manga *_*

Anyway. Episode was so dramatically different to others - after all ther was some action... And I don't wont Madame Red to die T_T I like her xD But Sebastian rocks! He's my favorite <3
Nov 11, 2008 2:57 PM

Mar 2008
Really loved the flashback. And how the Jack the Ripper turned out to be those two
Nov 11, 2008 3:18 PM

Oct 2007
XD wow great Dark episode and really didn't suspect it was them!

It was good with Madam Red's flashback
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 11, 2008 5:53 PM

May 2008
Awesome episode now i really want to see the next one with the fight.

(I wonder why they never show ciel's father eyes, his face always looks emo like)
Nov 11, 2008 7:44 PM

Apr 2007
WOW.

That was some depressing past too. :(

Nov 12, 2008 10:26 AM

Nov 2007
Great episode. Backstory was done very well.
Nov 12, 2008 7:44 PM

Oct 2007
Very impressed, I hadn't read the manga so this was a huge twist for me.

"I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees." By Emiliano Zapata
Nov 13, 2008 12:49 AM

Jun 2008
you know i find it hard to believe that grell sutcliff is jun fukuyama (the same guy who did lelouch...wow).

i love this episode, the agony of madam red, kinda makes you feel sympathetic for her even though she did mutilate the prostitutes. can't wait for tomorrow's showdown btw our fav butler and the psychotic, cross dressing(?) shinigami.
Nov 13, 2008 12:56 AM
Jul 2008
PandaPuff said:
WOW.

That was some depressing past too. :(

True. I can't wait for next one too see more of Sebastian in action.
Nov 14, 2008 7:08 AM

Nov 2007
That was one hell of an episode!
Nov 14, 2008 6:36 PM

Nov 2007
Massive plot twist O_O, can not believe what Grell is and glad to see Madam Red's flash back, too bad she died D:
Nov 14, 2008 6:55 PM

Jun 2007
Who-hoa! didnt see that coming!!
Fukuyama Jun was amazing, awesome episode.
Nov 14, 2008 7:11 PM

Apr 2008
Yeah it was really creepy when Grell first smiled...lmao

so sad I had a bit of tears in my eyes, lol
I totally didn't expect the stuff that happened in that on.
This show is boss..don't tell me it's really only 13 episodes..
Nov 14, 2008 11:26 PM
Jul 2018
Hardly knew it was FukuJun who voiced him O_O
This ep's got a major twist! Not a manga-reader so, yeah...
And I'm liking the OST ^-^ That aside, I really feel bad for Madame Red T_T she should've not taken it to the bones >< and hooray for gay shinigamis! =x
Nov 15, 2008 9:47 AM

Oct 2007
That was just awesome. I love Grell.

Nov 15, 2008 10:07 AM

Apr 2008
Amazing.
This show is proving to be quite the ride.
:)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 20, 2008 5:57 AM

Jun 2008
Good episode

dunno why i wasn't surprised when they showed us that Madam red was the killer
Nov 20, 2008 12:10 PM

Jun 2008
crypticbluerose said:
Yeah it was really creepy when Grell first smiled...lmao

so sad I had a bit of tears in my eyes, lol
I totally didn't expect the stuff that happened in that on.
This show is boss..don't tell me it's really only 13 episodes..

who said it's 13 episodes? O_O *panic*
Nov 20, 2008 1:13 PM

Sep 2008
And I thought we would see something great here but than it turns ugly with blackflashes and nothing totally interseting happens, other than seeing sebby xD beaten up a bit.
Nov 21, 2008 4:04 PM

Dec 2007
Aside from the almost completely out-of-nowhere revelation, it was a solid episode. The scenes where Grell yelled at Sebastian with one of those cutesy reactions completely destroyed the really gothic mood of this episode, but it retained itself time and time again. Looking forward to the fight between the two.
Nov 24, 2008 1:51 PM

Mar 2008
wah~~ I so was not expecting that 0__0 seriously... after ep 3 I thought that Grell was just going to be a nice comedy side character who had no real purpose but was there anyway but man! He's a psycho shinigami with a customized scythe that look suspiciously like a chainsaw xD It makes me think that even Tanaka is going to turn out to be ridiculously important, even if he needs to deflate every once in a while

*watches next ep with anticipation*
Nov 24, 2008 4:25 PM

Nov 2007
*also wonders about possible link between Ciel's dad and Sebby*
I am loving this series, wish I had found out about it before a few days ago....now picking up eps 6&7 to watch tomorrow.

Lambo said:
All this series needs to do to be perfect, is to lose all the gay parts. BA fights!

But I like the gay bits!
Nov 26, 2008 6:02 AM

May 2008
This episode was just BEAUTIFUL and DARK

-----

I knew that Grell wasn't just some meek butler, I love his true form, it's great.

I think the best part was Madam Red's flashblack, I love how there was red put into the whole thing. It's a shame that Grell kills her though

Dec 28, 2008 4:19 AM

Aug 2008
Grell creeps me out.. -_-"

and his Romeo and Juliet allusions...
Jan 17, 2009 1:04 PM

Oct 2008
This episode was a total shock. Didn't expect Madam Red to be apart of Jack the Ripper's killings.

Jan 30, 2009 7:28 AM

Feb 2008
Wow.

I was shocked by the plot twist, Madamn Red's past and the fighting scenes.
It was done brilliantly.

After all, this is one hell of a show.
May 16, 2009 6:28 PM
Jun 2008
wow this ep was trippy
wasnt expecting those 2 to be jack the ripper but dayum they did a good job w/ it
lots of action (and blood - which looked like red paint) and i'm really liking this anime
i jst hope they wrap up this arc/section of the plot by next up and that they don't drag out the fight for another 3 eps or smth ridiculous
p.s - loved how they threw in that kitty scene
Jun 16, 2009 5:59 AM

Apr 2009
...And I laughed and commented on the last episode that it'd be awesome if Jack was Grell x___X I DIDN'T MEAN IT ;__;
He's wicked.
And...that was actually a bit sad...explained why jack was always cutting out the uterus though.
p.s. 'Kitty, kitty.' - I DIED.
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Jun 19, 2009 9:26 PM

Aug 2008
ChibiMilly said:
I think the best part was Madam Red's flashblack, I love how there was red put into the whole thing. It's a shame that Grell kills her though
I agree with you. Her past is so sad... But for some reason I wasn't surprised that Madam Red and Grell were Jack o_o

Geez, Sebastian why are you so cute xD (Kitty~)

Jun 21, 2009 8:58 AM

Jun 2008
I laughed so hard that my stomach started hurting at the soft kitty part. Sebastian's "sophisticated" way of speaking was so perfect for that scene.
Sep 18, 2009 3:43 PM
Jul 2009
Well.. that was shocking
Sep 19, 2009 7:49 PM

May 2008
Woah, so that's who that red haired dude I kept seeing around places was.
Quite surprising, I never expected THIS to be said person involved.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Sep 27, 2009 2:14 AM

Jul 2009
WOW! This episode was great. This is the first episode, in a line of many that sets this anime apart from the rest. From the first four episodes, i liked this anime, but i hadn't become hooked. Now I see what everyone is talking about in the reviews. It had everything. I can't wait to see how the plot unfolds. I didn't see it coming. The story is dark, the action is great, it was truly emotional, in a good way. You could kind of sympathize with madame red on some level. ANd I loved how artistic it was, I love the film reel, when her life was flashing before her eyes. It was beautiful. I can't wait for the next episode. And now I'll have to read the manga as well.
Oct 2, 2009 12:08 AM

Aug 2009
This anime just keeps getting better and better! I did NOT expect the murderer to be both Grell and Madame Red.

Her backstory really touched me. I even cried a bit. I loved the reaccuring red theme throughout the flashback and I felt really sorry for her. The only man who actually made her feel good about herself married her sister. Then everything just came crashing down after that: her husband's death, the abortion, her sister and her unrequited love dying, and the boy who she longed to be her son disappearing. And that woman had the nerve to complain about children in front of her! No wonder she turned to murder! I would've shanked that bitch too xD

This episode just made me see her in like three different ways: overbearing aunt, psychopathic killer, and a woman who just lost all hope and had no where else to turn.

I'm a bandwagon whore

Ow. My Heart. <3
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Bloodshot-Shanks - Jan 25, 2009

98 by Sun_Chan »»
3 seconds ago

Poll: » Favorite Servant?

RuuryMercury - Jun 24, 2015

4 by Sun_Chan »»
21 minutes ago

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Bloodshot-Shanks - Jan 17, 2009

85 by Sun_Chan »»
28 minutes ago

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Bloodshot-Shanks - Jan 9, 2009

70 by Sun_Chan »»
50 minutes ago

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Bloodshot-Shanks - Nov 23, 2008

115 by Sun_Chan »»
3 hours ago

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.