Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 11, 2012 3:39 PM

Apr 2012
So this show is listed to have 13 eps. Sigh. I feel like this show would work much better as a 24-26 episode series rather than a one-cour series. There's a lot of source material that can be adapted (over 10 volumes of manga so far), and for a shojo series like this I think that 20-something episodes would give the characters adequate time for development. Well, maybe it'll work out well in the end like Inu x Boku, which was also a 13 ep romance. What you do think?

quukiiOct 11, 2012 7:35 PM
Oct 11, 2012 8:17 PM

Mar 2011
It can't be helped.
Oct 12, 2012 4:17 AM
Mar 2010
you have to realize that shoujo manga to anime adaptations in the past 5 years were all major flops. maid-sama sold less than 1000 copies, Special A didn't even sell 500 copies, Lovely Complex sold less than 2000 copies, Itazura na Kiss was also a failure though I can't remember the figures. Vampire Knight was the only one which sold 3000 copies....and even 3000 copies sold for an anime is very bad.

Does this tell you why there are only 13 episodes? :/
The three shoujos this season need to sell well in Japan or their manga sales must double or triple.

If it doesn't happen, say goodbye to shoujo manga to anime adaptations for another 5 years.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Oct 12, 2012 4:36 AM

Oct 2012
That's not fair .. I love it so much *sighs*.. What a waste, such an interesting and amazing, fantasy anime but only 13 eps !
When I heard about the eps I was really disappointed and shocked I thought it would be like it's manga T_T
But at least what you said makes sense, hope it would be around 20 eps > never knows when to give up.
QueentianaOct 12, 2012 4:47 AM
Oct 12, 2012 5:08 AM

Dec 2008
The manga have over 80 chapters right now, if we count 2-3 chapters per episodes. That make around 26 episodes. So series of 13 episode for now looks fair. So I hope they will make more series in future.
Oct 12, 2012 4:32 PM

Nov 2007
The only shoujo manga that still sell to this date are Natsume and Kimi ni Todoke. I have a feeling that Tonari will be selling good too. I think it has something to do with getting popularity with male demography, because it is the male fans who usually buy BD or DVDs. Unlike many shoujo anime out there Natsume and Kimi ni Todoke have very healthy male fanbase. So they sold a lot of copies. :/
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Oct 12, 2012 8:06 PM

May 2009
Expect things to move quick I guess. I don't know plots like this need to have around twenty episodes. 13 episodes are for harems in my opinion.
Oct 23, 2012 7:29 PM

May 2010
phoenixalia said:
you have to realize that shoujo manga to anime adaptations in the past 5 years were all major flops. maid-sama sold less than 1000 copies, Special A didn't even sell 500 copies, Lovely Complex sold less than 2000 copies, Itazura na Kiss was also a failure though I can't remember the figures. Vampire Knight was the only one which sold 3000 copies....and even 3000 copies sold for an anime is very bad.

The three shoujos this season need to sell well in Japan or their manga sales must double or triple.

If it doesn't happen, say goodbye to shoujo manga to anime adaptations for another 5 years.

Where did you get this info? :O
"Wait for the signal, and I'll meet you after dark"
Oct 24, 2012 3:46 AM
Mar 2010
IchigoHollowfi said:
phoenixalia said:

Where did you get this info? :O

you mean all the sales info? How much each anime sold? Why, right here on MyanimeList! Every week, in the news section, they post how the current anime are doing in sales.

and manga too, for that matter.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Nov 3, 2012 7:27 AM
Mar 2012
It'd be a shame. A lots of 13-eps-animes are ruined by rushing things. :(
And hey, Hiiro no Kakera got a second season. I mean WTF?
Nov 3, 2012 10:08 AM
Oct 2009
Sure it's too bad that there's only 13 episodes but at least it's actually getting an anime adaptation. Lots of good manga isn't well known enough and never gets one.
Nov 4, 2012 8:18 AM

Nov 2009
Actually, KamiHaji manga does sell well. I don't know about the figures, but it is translated in foreign countries. I think I saw it many times in NY Times Bestselling Manga List. The foreign translations are slow, though. (They're still in volume 11 when it's already volume 14 in Japan.) And I think it does sell well in Japan, however, it is a serialized fiction. Meaning, each new chapter is being released in a magazine, so somehow, it's the magazine that "sells very well." I mean, if you have a chapter of a volume in a magazine, why still buy an entire volume? I think this is one of the reasons why it doesn't greatly sell well; people would prefer to buy magazines (which has chapters of different manga) rather than volumes.

It's somehow sad that they made an anime for only 13 eps. It somehow means that they only want to promote the manga, which is good in a way. But the thing is they are leaving a lot out. Because the first episodes of the anime or the first chapters in the manga are included in a large buildup. Ending the anime with just a 13-eps-cour will obviously give a lot of confusion (but hopefully the confusion triggers a desire for second season and the studio will MAKE a second season--honestly, I find it ridiculous that they make second seasons to those that don't even have good plotlines).

But I guess, that is the manga. As to the anime BD/DVDs, yeah I think they're making just 13 eps as a precaution. But more than that, I think it's because the studio, TMS, has a low budget. That is why the art suffers a little. We don't get the amazing 3D effects or whatever from other shoujo anime.

"Belief is the death of intelligence." ~Robert Anton Wilson~
Nov 5, 2012 7:46 AM
Mar 2010
ok, people, some news. volume 14 of this manga was released recently and in 2 weeks it got 30k more sales than what it usually did before the anime. now, that sounds like a lot but it isn't all that much but its better than nothing. also, most of the manga volumes are out of stock on amazon japan.

as for BD/DVD sales, after this week's episode there was a jump in rankings. Its doing better than before though not by much.

witchhuntress said:
Actually, KamiHaji manga does sell well. I don't know about the figures, but it is translated in foreign countries. I think I saw it many times in NY Times Bestselling Manga List. The foreign translations are slow, though. (They're still in volume 11 when it's already volume 14 in Japan.)

It doesn't matter how well it sells in America. Lots of series which sell a pittance in Japan sell well in America. Pysren from WSJ is an example. It did so poorly it was cancelled but it has a lot of fans in the US. Being popular in the US does not do much for it. :/

And I think it does sell well in Japan, however, it is a serialized fiction. Meaning, each new chapter is being released in a magazine, so somehow, it's the magazine that "sells very well." I mean, if you have a chapter of a volume in a magazine, why still buy an entire volume? I think this is one of the reasons why it doesn't greatly sell well; people would prefer to buy magazines (which has chapters of different manga) rather than volumes.

then what about series like chihayafuru or tonari no kaibutsu-kun or Skip Beat? Those are also serialized in magazines. And those are only a few.

honestly, I find it ridiculous that they make second seasons to those that don't even have good plotlines).

its simple. a show can be about anything under the sun. if it sells well, they give it a second season. of course, we must not include shows which were MEANT to have 2 seasons from the beginning like hakuouki,chihayafuru and the like. those had plans for two seasons from the start.

But I guess, that is the manga. As to the anime BD/DVDs, yeah I think they're making just 13 eps as a precaution. But more than that, I think it's because the studio, TMS, has a low budget. That is why the art suffers a little. We don't get the amazing 3D effects or whatever from other shoujo anime.

they are working on a low budget because they're taking a risk. they know there is a very good chance this anime might not sell well.

ElenirLachlagos said:

you can't count Hiiro. It was meant to be a 2-cour show from the beginning like hakuouki.
Nov 7, 2012 10:28 AM
Mar 2012
phoenixalia said:
ElenirLachlagos said:
you can't count Hiiro. It was meant to be a 2-cour show from the beginning like hakuouki.
Well, no matter whether they decidethat before, during or after the first season - I still don't understand it.
Nov 18, 2012 6:47 PM
Feb 2012
I don't want to be a pessimist and dismiss the possibility of adding more episodes to this series that I LOVE SO MUCH, but in case 13 eps is all we get I hope they don't make the ending abruptly or with a cliffhanger.
Nov 19, 2012 7:56 AM
Nov 2012
Well we can always cross our fingers for a follow up if the anime doesn't cover the entire manga. Considering in episode 7 they haven't really covered much of the first half of the manga so far there could be a lot to work with if this does well. I really hope it does!
May 6, 2013 6:36 PM

Dec 2012
I know, I totally agree. Theres so much more in the manga then whats showed in the anime and it really is quite sad because if it had been a longer series then not only would there be more character development, but it would feel more complete. When I finished the anime I loved it but i wanted more! it had gotten really good and now its finished when it feels like there should be more! I was very happy though with the anime the way it is but if it gets continued I will be so much more happy! :)
May 7, 2013 1:07 PM

Feb 2010
Stark700 said:
Looks like there will be OVA for this anime soon

YESS! Anything is good!

:crosses fingers for second season:
May 15, 2013 8:43 AM
Oct 2009
Yeah it seems there's an OVA being released this august with manga volume 16. Well, I already pre-ordered it : D

One is an onsen episode? I usually don't like those all that much but for some reason I feel nosebleeds coming already. Damn I can't wait.
SuzieMay 15, 2013 8:49 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kamisama Hajimemashita Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Nov 12, 2012

88 by melkarakas »»
Apr 4, 2:02 PM

Poll: » Kamisama Hajimemashita Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 24, 2012

172 by Karva1 »»
Mar 8, 5:06 PM

Poll: » Kamisama Hajimemashita Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Nov 19, 2012

62 by Karva1 »»
Mar 6, 3:54 PM

Poll: » Kamisama Hajimemashita Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Nov 5, 2012

74 by Karva1 »»
Mar 6, 3:07 PM

Poll: » Kamisama Hajimemashita Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 1, 2012

164 by Karva1 »»
Mar 5, 4:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.