Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 6, 2012 1:28 AM

Mar 2011
Man too much drama in the 1st episode and Dio is bastard.
Oct 6, 2012 1:33 AM

Oct 2008
I know nothing about this franchise, but seeing all of the excitement in various forums made me check out the first episode and I wasn't disappointed. I'll be following this series for sure...

Also, awesome ending theme.
Oct 6, 2012 1:38 AM

Sep 2011
Nilvius said:
grandy_UiD said:
If they already cut out Danny burning I kinda don't want to know what they'll do later when things get brutal...
Hard to say. I mean, when it comes to animal cruelty, everyone tends to get iffy, but the later parts should be fine.

At least I hope it'll be fine.

I was kind of glad they didn't show that part, but I'm fine with showing everything else. I just figured they cut it out because Danny was a dog. I don't think it'll be anything to worry about later on.
Oct 6, 2012 1:48 AM

Nov 2009
Awesome. This is what I call great adaptation.

Oct 6, 2012 1:54 AM

Jul 2010
Dio is Koyasu-san. lol
Oct 6, 2012 1:55 AM

Sep 2010
Dont you think that Jojo has a effeminate voice?
Oct 6, 2012 1:59 AM

Jun 2009
Well, this was pretty intense. I like how the packing was rather fast, it works really well with those short fights and doesn't get boring that way. If we get longer fight scenes in the future, i hope it slows down a bit, i can undertand they wanted to goi over the childhood quickly though.
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Oct 6, 2012 2:14 AM

Apr 2009
War_lothar said:
Dont you think that Jojo has a effeminate voice?
Yeah, but that's him still in his youth and all. Besides, in the preview, the older him sounds more manly, so...
Oct 6, 2012 2:27 AM

Feb 2008
David Productions really did an awesome job in adapting the manga's style to the series. Kudos to them!
Pace was a bit faster than I expected, but since this is probably the worst of all the JoJos, I don't mind at all (that way Part 3 is much closer =P).
Oct 6, 2012 2:29 AM

Apr 2010
Great first episode, I loved the colouring and the special backgrounds.
The death of Danny could have been somewhat more dramatically, but it was a good episode.
Dio has an awesome voice. YES.
Oct 6, 2012 2:37 AM

Jul 2012
It's been a while I felt like a man watching an anime (Last time was Hajime no Ippo).
This was great, really enjoyed the pacing.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Num1dad_Asura]
[/url]
Click Here for Sig source
Oct 6, 2012 2:42 AM

Apr 2009
Shalnark_ said:
I thought it was weird tbh.

You could almost call it bizarre...
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Oct 6, 2012 3:06 AM

Mar 2008
Awesome. Great chara design, good animation and excellent voice acting.

The color and background effects and the SFX make it look very much like JoJo should. They even managed to do the poses.

YES ending was awesome too.

It SEEMS they'll do at least Battle Tendency, because of the ED. I'd like that very much. Joseph rlz.

But still, Jolyne fucking when?
Oct 6, 2012 3:54 AM
Jul 2012
I didn't really like the art style, also it felt really cheesy and weird the entire time.
Oct 6, 2012 4:06 AM

Sep 2009
It was absolutely amazing. Thou Storytelling seemed to be in a rush.
Oct 6, 2012 4:08 AM

Mar 2010
i loved the episode ! but enough with the [ DON ! ] & [ PAN ! ] effects , sadly they removed the Gore from the manga .....still cool though , i hope the drawings will keep getting better , less snap shot pics ..............i hope the anime will be more than 300 episodes WITHOUT REMOVING any scene from the manga & without removing any Stand user ..............Love u Araki
Oct 6, 2012 4:14 AM

Apr 2009
Dramel said:
it felt really cheesy
The manga was made in 1987 after all. It's the era of cheesy action flicks, not just anime lol.
Oct 6, 2012 4:43 AM

Oct 2007
DIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Oct 6, 2012 4:47 AM

Sep 2011
that was awesome
I voted for the 1st option obviously
Oct 6, 2012 5:06 AM

Nov 2009
Nilvius said:
Dramel said:
it felt really cheesy
The manga was made in 1987 after all. It's the era of cheesy action flicks, not just anime lol.

well that explains for those action sequences were done terribly ...
But the show has a good story indeed. Gonna stick for a few episode.
Oct 6, 2012 5:08 AM

Mar 2009
I'm not much of a fan so far. The first episode was way too depressing. I felt like punching Dio in the face, and also I felt very bad for Joe and his poor dog. I'll try a few more eps but will probably drop it if it continues making me feel like crap.
Oct 6, 2012 5:16 AM

Jul 2012
Painaholic said:
DIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Sums up my thoughts on this show so far perfectly.
Oct 6, 2012 5:31 AM

Feb 2009
Wow, the pacing was really rushed here, but I think it will probably slow down a bit after this. Other than the pacing it was great, though. Dio is an absolute bastard as it should be, and they hit all the important points from what I remember. Also dat ED.
Oct 6, 2012 5:42 AM
Nov 2011
SASUGA DIO
Oct 6, 2012 5:52 AM

Aug 2009
Temozarela said:
It was absolutely amazing. Thou Storytelling seemed to be in a rush.

Yeah, it felt quite rushed. Maybe they're trying to skip it to the more interesting part, or something? I wouldn't mind watching all that happened in the first episode summed up in 5 episodes, or whatever, 'cause it really felt like they were moving forward about a couple of months, even a year. I mean, we didn't get to see the development between Jojo and that girl very good/detailed (they rushed it in 5 seconds, haha).

Well, besides from the very fast-paced storytelling, 500 things happening in the first 5-6 minutes, it was overall pretty nice, imo. It felt a bit special (got no experience from previous shows or manga). xD
Oct 6, 2012 6:00 AM

Apr 2009
Rodness said:
we didn't get to see the development between Jojo and that girl very good/detailed (they rushed it in 5 seconds, haha).
As far as I can remember, the manga itself doesn't really have much scenes exploring the interactions between Jonathan and Erina either.

So far, the only thing the anime left out was the brief intro about the Stone Mask. Unless you count the bits in the ED.
Oct 6, 2012 6:07 AM

Apr 2009
Nilvius said:
Rodness said:
we didn't get to see the development between Jojo and that girl very good/detailed (they rushed it in 5 seconds, haha).
As far as I can remember, the manga itself doesn't really have much scenes exploring the interactions between Jonathan and Erina either.

So far, the only thing the anime left out was the brief intro about the Stone Mask. Unless you count the bits in the ED.

Exactly. Well, the manga had a showed Danny burning in very graphic details but it is not hard to imagine why this scene was removed. Maybe they'll add them in the BD release.
Oct 6, 2012 6:51 AM

Sep 2012
Goddamn, that was a good episode.

Also, dat ending. I like dat ending.

I hope the OP gets introduced next episode, because I want to see what they can do.
Oct 6, 2012 6:52 AM

Nov 2011
DIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

5\5 for the first week :)
it's going to be a new shonen masterpiece

now the big 3 are:
Toriko , HxH , JoJo
Oct 6, 2012 7:06 AM

Apr 2009
ssjathena said:

55 for the first week :)

now the big 3 are:
Toriko , HxH , JoJo

Jojo was published in 1987, this is NOT new.
And while all three manga are great, I doubt they'll belong the so called "Big Three" because, well...this term is just made up by (idiotic) western fans, who somehow feel to group three totally different manga together for no good reason besides popularity.
Oct 6, 2012 7:40 AM
Nov 2009
ssjathena said:

now the big 3 are:
Toriko , HxH , JoJo

I can agree. :>

NAMBA ONE DA!
I didn't read the manga, but this episode is amazing for me. I already love Dio, beacuse he is fking bastard. Great anime. :)
Oct 6, 2012 7:49 AM

Apr 2008
ssjathena said:

55 for the first week :)

now the big 3 are:
Toriko , HxH , JoJo

Jojo is one of the best shonen has ever had. All manga that you mentioned here were inspired by Araki the mangaka of Jojo.
Oct 6, 2012 7:52 AM

Mar 2012
i didnt like much the dialogs dio dio thing but wow the story is good.
Oct 6, 2012 7:53 AM

Mar 2012
Mikisi said:
ssjathena said:

now the big 3 are:
Toriko , HxH , JoJo

I can agree. :>

NAMBA ONE DA!
I didn't read the manga, but this episode is amazing for me. I already love Dio, beacuse he is fking bastard. Great anime. :)

Jojo and HxH are the big two .....too bad Kuroko ended :/

Dio is a dick btw >.> good job at making an extremely hated character..in just one episode...and the first one at that lol.
End Zionazism
Oct 6, 2012 7:57 AM
Jan 2012
Awesome first episode, I am glad they "rushed" a bit in the beggining.
I am loving the shades, it reminds of the style they used in the poor anime adaptaion of Persona 4.

The musics and effects are nice too.

Btw, I really hope they animate at least until the third arc, Stardust Crusaders.
Or better, they should animate at least until Vento Aureo <3
Oct 6, 2012 8:23 AM

Sep 2009
Well this episode was surprisingly better than I originally expected. I’m impressed that it is managing to capture the style and atmosphere of the manga. It doesn’t really resemble Phantom Blood; when Araki was still developing his own style; but still has a good mix of the fabulousness and manliness which the series is so famous of. As matter of fact, it feels like David are grabbing aspects of all parts and throwing them together. They’re using the same setting as in Phantom Blood, while using character designs which resemble the ones between late-Part 3 and early-Part 4, and background art (architecture, clouds and trees form) similar to what is commonly found in Part 3 and afterwards, while also making use of some interesting alternating color schemes (as frequently seen in Araki’s artwork) and symbols representing sound effects. David are incorporating well those comic-ish and flamboyant aspects of the manga into the anime, making up for the low budget with smart and creative directing. However, it can’t be denied that the low budget is having an effect on the animation. Some scenes flow awkwardly from one to the next (which also has to do with the storyboard), like that particular scene where Dio kicked JoJo’s dog senseless. Lots of still shots and scenes with talking heads are utilized as a way to save budget as well, and while most of them fit nicely into the flow there are some which feel awkward and out of place. But well, this more of an observation than a complaint. I must give David a discount as they’re doing a good job despite the limitations they're operating under.

As for the pacing, well it was way faster paced than I thought it would be. A number of panels and even some relevant parts were skipped (like Jorge Joestar explaining to Dio where the mysterious mask was found and how JoJo and Danny first met each other), but that is to be expected when you try to cram 5 already fast paced chapters of a manga into a single episode. It could be that they’re just fast forwarding directly to the action, so I’m hoping that the pacing slows down when the anime gets to the part where The Ripple is introduced. That being, I’m a huge Battle Tendency fan, so I wouldn’t be TOO upset in case Phantom Blood was skimmed through quickly.
ariapalOct 6, 2012 8:50 AM
Oct 6, 2012 9:06 AM

Oct 2010
I just know i wish this was about my boy Jotaro Kujo . I already miss him but i hope they do the whole series. Jotaro Kujo looked like a boss when he wore that long trench coat.

I hope they dont censor too much. The JoJo's OVA's are pretty brutal even though its a different timeline. This will probably be the last manly show we will ever have in a long ass time.

I really hope this does good in Japan. Most shit that came out in the 80s flops over there now especially manly shows. FOTNS still my favorite anime of all time. Ashita No Joe puts all animes to shame when it comes to character development.
bonifideOct 6, 2012 9:17 AM
Oct 6, 2012 9:23 AM

Jul 2011
TOO GOOD. Now that was true quality right there. I'm pumped for this and that ED was orgasmic. Already worthy of making the top ranks of my list from the first ep lol.
Oct 6, 2012 9:48 AM

Feb 2008
It was really good visually and they did a good job adapting it. All they did was censor some obvious stuff (+ JoJo smoking a pipe (didn't show it since he's 12)) and of course the scene when JoJo cries was omitted. Still, it's better off without those skipped scenes, since JoJo's and Dio's relationship is the most important thing here.

But, for some reasons, the characters left a better impression in the manga. Dio was a dick in both, but somehow I hated the manga version even more. He was really a douchebag there. Must be because of the pacing, since they adapted it accurately. Same goes for JoJo. I kinda wish they left the scene where he was crying.

I hope they do Part 2 too, and the rest also. Phantom Blood is just the introduction and it wasn't really a good manga. It had some lulzy and GAU moments, and those were the only things that made the manga good, and of course Speedwagon in a bad way. Anyway, I'll enjoy the show for sure.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Oct 6, 2012 10:03 AM

Jul 2012
I loved this episode it struck up a lot of emotion for pilot usually 1st episodes are boring to me but not this one, and Dio is a bitch I've never wanted to smack an anime character so bad since Sasuke.
Oct 6, 2012 10:05 AM

Mar 2012
Tvking00 said:
I loved this episode it struck up a lot of emotion for pilot usually 1st episodes are boring to me but not this one, and Dio is a bitch I've never wanted to smack an anime character so bad since Sasuke.

Nina says hi.
End Zionazism
Oct 6, 2012 10:23 AM

Jun 2012
David Production is finally back to it's stride after the mixed Inu x Boku SS, though I really enjoyed Ben-To!

I really liked this premiere! It's great to see Takehito Koyasu in a villain role again, he portrays them so well. His performance just makes you loathe Dio Brando. I was getting kind of pissed that JoJo was letting himself get stepped on by Dio in life but the end redeemed him for me. There was just a lot that happened this episode with the good pacing.

The art style is so retro and refreshing, in today's age of anime where a lot of anime is moe moe and set in Japan, seeing "realistic" designs and a change in setting is appreciated. Yes I know Dio and JoJo bulk up later but in this episode at least they looked reasonable

One thing I can do without is the constant popping letters like you see in manga when someone is shocked. It pulls me out of the story too much for this type of story where it takes itself pretty seriously. Thinking about it again, this show is melodramtic to the umpteenth degree but the fact they made it so over the top is what sucks me into this rivalry between JoJo and Dio

Next week can't come soon enough
HybridMBLOct 6, 2012 10:38 AM
Oct 6, 2012 10:24 AM

Apr 2009
Cool first episode. Was surprised to hear Yes as the ED, one of my favorite bands. This is about as far as I got with the manga, it was cool but I left it alone for a bit and forgot to come back to it. Looking forward to the rest.
Oct 6, 2012 10:30 AM

Jul 2012
Mikasa said:
Tvking00 said:

Nina says hi.

Nina from which series?
Oct 6, 2012 10:31 AM

Mar 2012

:P
End Zionazism
Oct 6, 2012 10:47 AM

Sep 2008
kashim said:
Shame that they'll be rushing through the first arc. After all, this is THE origin of Jojo series. It deserves more attention than just "let's get it over with"
No, its just 2 cour at most.. let just get to the part which matter, Battle Tendency.

FYI they already listed the DVD gonna out in 9 vol, 26 episode total.. from that n this episode pace its safe to assume they gonna cover til BT's ending.
fertygoOct 6, 2012 10:58 AM
Oct 6, 2012 11:12 AM

Jan 2010
The animation is better than it seemed to be in the trailer! Thanks God!

Nice to listen to a Yes song as ending theme

I hope Dio (the singer lol) will also be part of the soundtrack in the future
Oct 6, 2012 11:40 AM

Apr 2010
Rushed, almost 3/4 of the first volume in a single episode. I love the beginning of the first arc, I'd love it to last more than 2 episodes.

Animations are not bad, characters are different from the manga, I will watch it for sure but they have to slow down a bit.
Dio Brando is one of the most epic villains of all time. The reason? He is easy to be hated for what he always does.
kratos_aurionOct 6, 2012 11:44 AM
Oct 6, 2012 11:45 AM
Mar 2011
I'm trying to wait for the high quality subs by the Jojo fan community, but it's so hard D: I just really wanna watch this right away!
Oct 6, 2012 11:47 AM

Sep 2008
They not gonna slow down IMO, the preview already goes quite far.. personally I really like the pace.
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2012) Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Nidhoeggr - Jan 4, 2013

158 by JohnZ_GGs »»
Apr 25, 12:14 AM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2012) Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Nidhoeggr - Nov 30, 2012

209 by JohnZ_GGs »»
Apr 24, 9:50 PM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2012) Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

KiraYoshikage - Nov 9, 2012

179 by JohnZ_GGs »»
Apr 23, 12:28 AM

» why do people question the watch order?

Rye_the_Guy - Mar 20

31 by eli_shmeli »»
Apr 22, 12:23 AM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2012) Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KiraYoshikage - Oct 19, 2012

254 by JohnZ_GGs »»
Apr 18, 1:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.