Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jan 24, 2015 7:05 PM

Aug 2012
Awesome, awesome episode. The scene where Mugen was sinking down into the water reminded me a lot of the Cowboy Bebop episode where Spike was falling out of the church window. Same director, so it makes sense.
Jan 31, 2015 1:54 PM

Aug 2013
I liked Koza, for me she was a very poor girl... I like characters that are realistic, and she was. Most of people, if they were in her situation would do the same what she did. After watching that episode and reading offensive comments about Koza I unliked Mugen in some way :/
Feb 2, 2015 5:04 AM
Oct 2013
Excellent. Just excellent. Magnificently presented.
Feb 3, 2015 12:31 PM

Apr 2014
Some bachground story of Mugen. One of the best episodes so far.
May 31, 2015 11:53 AM

Jun 2014
that was phenomenal
:3
Jun 6, 2015 5:56 PM
Jun 2015
Toward the ending scene you guys act like mugen was angry or wanted revenge. Thats not the bushido way. Mugen in my opinion already faced death once again and didn't even have any emotion to killing that guy koza was with. He just defended him self and kept walking. After he passed koza she was far gone in his mind. Plus with the flash backs i dont think mugen gave a shit about her anyways haha. But koza perfectly reflects my ex girlfriend and her personality. Someone who attaches on to people and sucks them dry of their life. Mugen is the perfect character and jin balances his character perfectly. The two best mentalities of a warrior
Jun 19, 2015 4:55 PM

Jul 2014
monkeydluffy94 said:
Toward the ending scene you guys act like mugen was angry or wanted revenge. Thats not the bushido way.

That's not really relevant at all. Mugen couldn't care less about the Bushido way.

People in this thread are really exaggerating the extent of Koza's crimes here. Koza wasn't truly a villain at all, she was just seizing an opportunity to escape an abusive relationship with her brother. With that being said, it cost the lives of many people, and also lead to the death of Mukuro. I'd say that to a certain extent, Mukuro meant something to Mugen. He wasn't exactly important to him, but he was an old childhood friend, and no matter what bullshit he puts him through, he's still just that. Personally, I don't think Mugen would've killed Mukuro. This isn't the first time Mukuro's screwed him over, he'd probably just beat the crap out of him and leave him alone.

In any case, Koza still committed a crime, and Mugen felt the need to punish her by leaving her with nothing. If anything, I feel as if he was trying to leave her with a lesson above all else. Mugen isn't completely heartless, he still regarded Koza as a childhood friend, but he clearly tried to cut off his attachments with them. Like when he says that he doesn't remember telling her about them looking like grains of sand, in the flashback, it's shown that he does remember. So yeah, Mugen pities her and spares her life while punishing her for what she's done. By the time Mugen passes her and she's screaming for him to kill her, I think Mugen's completely detached himself from her and his past, and is just telling her to move the fuck on in life, become independent. Koza isn't a villain, she isn't a whore. At the end of the episode, she's nothing to him anymore.
Sep 12, 2015 3:07 PM
Dec 2014
Akral said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I really disliked the fact, that Mugen just ruined Kozas perfect life. I mean, yea, he was deceived, but what for kill the only guy, who knew, where the gold is hidden?
Ge.

Also, the fact that Mugen survived without explanation is terrible.
Koza was a cunt, Mugen doesn't give a shit about gold and pretty self explanatory he jumped off the ship
Oct 18, 2015 11:23 AM

Dec 2014
LMAO Koza had it all planned out perfectly. Can't completely blame her for getting corrupted from living a shit life because of your brother, but at least she has completely new starting point in life.
Oct 22, 2015 6:07 AM
May 2012
Sickly_Grin said:
Psyche_Izaya said:
that song played when mugen is underwater is a little annoying.. ^^''

but overall good ep! ♥

The song fit the scene to a tee. It was brilliant.

Agreed. Sucks that you didn't like it.
That kill at the end, though :O
Nov 7, 2015 10:28 AM

Mar 2014
The Koza hate here is kind of unreasonable, she lived a f#cked up life and found a way to get out of it and Mugen's not some kind of saint who gave her what she deserved. The only one who deserved what he got was Mukuro, Koza was more a victim of circumstance, many call her a dependant whore but this was surely not a nice period for women to live in
Dec 10, 2015 12:05 AM

Mar 2015
As happens with Shinichiro anime, people are missing the point complely with whether she deserved it or not or whether it was revenge induced or not.
The series doesn't give a crap about who deserve to die or not. As a whole it was a character growth for mugen. When he walked past koza, it symbolized him getting over his past, finally.

And yes, Koza is an antagonist and not a thousand posts are going to change that. The question is, who suddenly decides that you can't hate an antagonist just because she's led a shit life? I don't know but hating her is quite justified.
Dec 14, 2015 11:15 PM
Dec 2015
I dont think him walking past her was a sign of him getting over her. I think its more of a sign that " you tried to kill me so im gonna take away the one thing you needed the most: money
Feb 19, 2016 11:00 AM

Jul 2014
What?! I totally don't get why Koza is being called a whore. How is she an antagonist? I don't recall any betrayal by her. It was Mugen's choice to take up Mukuro's job, and that too after being betrayed by him before in the past. Koza had no part in it. Only after she thought Mugen was dead did she get Jin to kill Mukuro, and it seems that part of the intent was to actually avenge Mugen.

I also absolutely don't get why Mugen totally fucked up her life. Such an asshole.
Feb 19, 2016 5:20 PM
Feb 2016
A very surreal episode. Something you expect straight from Cowboy Bebop. I actually think this is the best episode so far which might seem strange given it went against the usual forte for how a typical episode (in terms of style) be played out. Another reason is because Koza's action is left upon viewer's interpretation on whether she was the actual villain or not and not Mukuro. Was it reasonable from the position she's in? Granted, Mukuro's action were definitely questionable and what not, but he still to the very end wanted a camaraderie/family-like outlook as the only means to live given the shitty circumstances they were in from the start.
Icarus_primeFeb 19, 2016 5:28 PM
Mar 14, 2016 1:57 PM

Nov 2015
Like someone said before me, reading such hateful, ignorant posts about Koza is pure, unadultered cancer.

Great episode. It really was about the growth of Mugen as a character.
Mar 20, 2016 12:29 PM

Feb 2015
This episode confuses me..
Mar 29, 2016 6:52 AM

Jul 2015
Best episode so far, everything was perfect !
Apr 2, 2016 11:00 PM

Nov 2009
Damn, that ending left me with some feels. The whole episode was kinda sad.
\m/

May 15, 2016 5:09 AM
Jul 2018
That ending!! This was too good. Champloo is becoming one of my favourite shows.
Jun 6, 2016 3:27 AM

Jul 2013
First you are like "at least someone got a happy ending" and then you are like "fuuucckk!".

Not that the girl even deserved one. Her action's were understandable but she was still a shitty person for doing what she did.
Jun 12, 2016 9:50 PM

Feb 2016
Now that conclusion seemed to be just like how samurai champloo is. Especially the moment towards the end when mugen just walks in like a badass and cuts that guy down.
Jun 13, 2016 2:27 PM
Mar 2015
cartoonartist said:
Now that conclusion seemed to be just like how samurai champloo is. Especially the moment towards the end when mugen just walks in like a badass and cuts that guy down.

Not to mention he cut the guy down when he was only LIMPING towards the two.
Koza and the guy should have just ran.
Jun 13, 2016 3:25 PM

Feb 2016
Vaiketime2025 said:
cartoonartist said:

still missed his capoeira like moves though.
Jun 14, 2016 10:35 AM
Mar 2015
cartoonartist said:
Vaiketime2025 said:

still missed his capoeira like moves though.

True that man....
Jun 27, 2016 2:04 PM

Jul 2014
Probably the best episode so far.

5/5
Aug 12, 2016 10:38 PM
Sep 2015
I didn't understand what Jin meant by them all being deceived. And what was the significance of that last scene anyway. Lol, I didn't know what was going on.
Aug 17, 2016 5:19 AM

Jun 2013
second time I watched this episode and honestly I think it may be one of the best episodes of any anime I have seen.

Dec 8, 2016 6:41 PM
Apr 2014
Great episode, that dream sequence was well-written. That ending scene was intense. , He just walked right by her give me a good laugh.
Dec 21, 2016 6:10 PM

Aug 2016
Did Mugen jump ship?
Oh, man... She couldn't run away, because she knew what she did was wrong... but what could she do? She's a nice person with a crappy life.
The whole thing ends on a grim note, with so many people dead, most for a bad reason.
Jan 29, 2017 10:06 PM

Dec 2016
That song that played during Mugen's flashback was chilling, like damn!
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Feb 24, 2017 3:07 AM

Sep 2016
damn this episode was way more intense than i ever expected from this series
Objectivity doesn't exist. Subjectivity is an excuse. Beautiful world of online discourse.

Jul 10, 2017 6:34 PM

Jul 2015
Really nice episode, that scene in the end was so good.
Sep 12, 2017 1:27 PM

Jul 2013
Wow, I can't believe the sister wanted her brother killed and to set up Mugen.

A really great episode.

I'm glad Mugen took away the sisters lover and as previously stated, left her with nothing and no one so that she in fact wanted to also be killed, because she had nothing left to live for.

Her brother and her tried to take away his life twice so she deserved it. They made him have to go on the run and ruined his life.
Nov 9, 2017 8:24 AM
Nov 12, 2017 3:00 PM

Sep 2015
Who ever the guy was a few episodes back that said "It's all downhill from here".. Boy, was he wrong.

Some of the most intense and impactful minutes of anime I have seen. There are very little shows that can glue me to the screen like Samurai Champloo managed to do it here. Evangelion, Haibane Renmei, Satoshi Kon movies, that's about it.

This show was already good before this episode, but I feel like it just got elevated to a new level. This might become one of my favorites.
Dec 26, 2017 12:59 PM
Dec 2017
I was rewatching this episode the other day and there is something I don't understand. Mukuro, Koza, and Mugen were childhood friends, from the Ryukyu islands far to the south of where the story takes place. Then, the following events occur - unsure of the timing, sequence, and locations:

a) There is some kind of fire/battle after which Mukuro recruits Mugen for the first heist

b) Mukuro betrays Mugen at first heist

c) Mugen is tried for that heist in the town the episode 13/14 occurs in (Ise area), and escapes execution

d) Mugen makes his way to the location of episode 1 (Tokyo area)

e) Mukuro kills everyone in the village at Ise and makes his current gang

f) Jin, Mugen, and Fuu make their way to Ise

g) Mukuro kills Koza's mother

h) Mukuro, Koza, and Mugen leave the Ryukyus and make their way to Ise

i) Mugen is given prison tats

j) Mugen is badly injured and Koza saves/cares for him

The first heist seems to have occurred relatively recently (like within the last year). What's the exact backstory? How do Mukuro, Mugen, and Koza make it to Ise initially? Where is the first heist? Why does Mugen return through Ise when he is presumably a known criminal there? Why is Mukuro still hanging around Ise after the failed heist? Has anyone been able to piece together the whole backstory and order of events? It seems impossibly concidental that Mukuro, Mugen, and Koza meet up again by pure chance.

Jan 5, 2018 9:40 AM

Jun 2015
That insert song was something.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Jan 5, 2018 9:41 AM

Jun 2015
That insert song was something.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Feb 1, 2018 2:53 PM
Jul 2016
I don't understand the whole Koza deception? Were her and the man from the ship planning to take the money without her brother/ the others knowing?
Mar 4, 2018 2:41 PM

Jul 2017
I dont understand why Mugen was walking to them in the first place as well as why they guy she was with started to attack him.
Mar 16, 2018 6:59 AM

May 2016
That was fantastic, what a great way to portray Mugen's past with bits of scenes here and there and man the song fucking epic not to forget the last scene man imagine if Mugen comes to you with that angry face he was like a shinigami collecting souls.
Apr 1, 2018 9:48 AM
Dec 2017
nasal_avenger said:
I was rewatching this episode the other day and there is something I don't understand. Mukuro, Koza, and Mugen were childhood friends, from the Ryukyu islands far to the south of where the story takes place. Then, the following events occur - unsure of the timing, sequence, and locations:

a) There is some kind of fire/battle after which Mukuro recruits Mugen for the first heist

b) Mukuro betrays Mugen at first heist

c) Mugen is tried for that heist in the town the episode 13/14 occurs in (Ise area), and escapes execution

d) Mugen makes his way to the location of episode 1 (Tokyo area)

e) Mukuro kills everyone in the village at Ise and makes his current gang

f) Jin, Mugen, and Fuu make their way to Ise

g) Mukuro kills Koza's mother

h) Mukuro, Koza, and Mugen leave the Ryukyus and make their way to Ise

i) Mugen is given prison tats

j) Mugen is badly injured and Koza saves/cares for him

The first heist seems to have occurred relatively recently (like within the last year). What's the exact backstory? How do Mukuro, Mugen, and Koza make it to Ise initially? Where is the first heist? Why does Mugen return through Ise when he is presumably a known criminal there? Why is Mukuro still hanging around Ise after the failed heist? Has anyone been able to piece together the whole backstory and order of events? It seems impossibly concidental that Mukuro, Mugen, and Koza meet up again by pure chance.

Bump. No one? I've been noodling over this for a while. I feel like there is some key detail I'm missing.
Apr 1, 2018 9:52 AM

Mar 2018
Seeing this thread bumped on the main discussion page, then seeing the title.

Probably my favourite episode of the entire series. The emotions conveyed in the scene of Mugen drowning still gives me goosebumps every time i so much as think of it.

Recommend me some short Manga!

Apr 25, 2018 10:33 AM
Nov 2010
Ending scene was badass. Kind of feel bad for koza though.
May 1, 2018 11:47 PM

Jan 2016
Mugen alive.. But dem.. The gold will be lost until someone explores that hidden place.
May 10, 2018 1:25 AM

Feb 2018
Mugens revenge was pretty awesome how I didn't like that he survived pretty much without explanation.
May 17, 2018 5:20 PM

Aug 2007
Perfect episode.
The scene with Mugen sinking was so striking.
This is one of the best episodes so far, along with Jin's romance.

I think this is a really great episode considering the depth of Koza and Mugen as characters.
They are both neutral characters trying to survive.
Mugen knew that Koza manipulated things in order to find the best quality of life (which was incredibly hard considering her brother), but he was royally pissed and didn't have time to spare the life of her boyfriend because he attacked him. Mugen didn't kill Koza because she didn't directly hurt him, but since the circumstances almost got him killed, he had no regrets on slicing that guy into pieces.
LycanMay 17, 2018 5:36 PM

Aug 21, 2018 10:22 AM

Sep 2014
Rewatching this ep after years, so many immature comments in the first few pages, it's sad this many people can miss the point of this episode and this show as a whole. This isn't a fairy tail, where Koza can just solve all her problems if she has enough willpower. Everything isn't so black and white, people who think Koza is some villain need to take a look at Mugen himself, and I loved Mugen this episode.
Oct 29, 2018 2:07 PM
Apr 2018
Meh, I didn't care about Koza to be honest. I'm glad she and the other guy weren't able to get away with their plans.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Samurai Champloo Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

SunSir - Mar 20, 2008

170 by mjjones0 »»
Apr 28, 11:51 PM

Poll: » Samurai Champloo Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

SunSir - Mar 20, 2008

187 by mjjones0 »»
Apr 28, 11:30 PM

Poll: » Samurai Champloo Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

RyanBebop - Feb 22, 2010

56 by Jamk_ »»
Apr 28, 12:11 PM

Poll: » Samurai Champloo Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

SunSir - Mar 20, 2008

113 by Jamk_ »»
Apr 27, 1:04 PM

Poll: » Samurai Champloo Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Scribbly - Jul 17, 2008

107 by Jamk_ »»
Apr 26, 12:00 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.