Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 20, 2012 8:35 AM

Sep 2011
I never played the VN so I can't tell. On the anime, it seems it's okay. Can someone explain this to me how this series really that bad for you? I've seen a lot of people hates this series. ._.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 20, 2012 8:48 AM
Jul 2008
The anime is complete crap and the VN is crappy later on.
Sep 20, 2012 9:03 AM
Jan 2012
I agree it's a complete crap but I enjoyed the mind fuck.
If you have some spare time do read the VN. if you don't
mind the graphics but then again you'll get a hang of it after a while.
Sep 22, 2012 9:16 AM

Jun 2012
Is there no hope for another season?
Sep 22, 2012 9:23 AM

Jun 2009
I would say it was that bad. It was interesting to watch while I was watching it. Would I go back and watch it again? No.

Shuhan, we can always hope. I would watch it.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Sep 22, 2012 6:33 PM

Feb 2010
Shuhan said:
Is there no hope for another season?

There's still hope if you keep on buying the anime or something.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 26, 2012 9:50 PM

Mar 2012
It's not that bad imo, around episode 20 though its just stupid, it goes from continuing the main story to introducing a new one without finishing the one before, won't say anything specific, but the switch of main characters and points of view was this anime's downfall

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Sep 26, 2012 9:52 PM

Dec 2009
It was horrendous. The main character, even when the witch would prove him wrong with actual evidence/magic tricks, would continue to whine over and over and over throughout the anime that she was wrong and shit was fake. Repeat that x10 with every episode.

It was just an irritating thing to sit through.
Sep 28, 2012 12:08 AM

Aug 2009
Venom900 said:
It's not that bad imo, around episode 20 though its just stupid, it goes from continuing the main story to introducing a new one without finishing the one before, won't say anything specific, but the switch of main characters and points of view was this anime's downfall

Funny because it's one of the most important parts for the main story.The anime's downfall was studio Deen.

Vesanus said:
It was horrendous. The main character, even when the witch would prove him wrong with actual evidence/magic tricks, would continue to whine over and over and over throughout the anime that she was wrong and shit was fake. Repeat that x10 with every episode.

It was just an irritating thing to sit through.

And I cant blame you at all for thinking that.
If the studio had done a better job in adapting Umineko, Battler wouldnt seem to be as retarded as Naruto.

Sa-chan_ said:
I never played the VN so I can't tell. On the anime, it seems it's okay. Can someone explain this to me how this series really that bad for you? I've seen a lot of people hates this series. ._.

It's okay if you ignore the fact that Battler seems to be a retard in the anime since the studio thought that it would be clever to NOT explain why he denied Beatrice even though she is in front of him.The bad fanservice that had no purpose at all(all females except 3 had F-cup) and the 2nd season that never came.And I hope it never comes unless a GOOD studio remakes the first season and make the 2nd later.
At least I can say that I am grateful to the anime for introducing me to the world of Umineko and a making me read the VN.
ssjokgSep 28, 2012 12:16 AM
Oct 1, 2012 11:48 PM

Jun 2007
It is a good show if you treat it as a comedy with horror/mystery elements, rather than a straight horror. Prepare to laugh at things like:

* The hammy overacting of Sayaka Ohara as Beatrice, in a rare role that's not a "gentle big sister" character.

* "Tako-Maria."

* The Ace Attorney-esque philosophical tug-of-wars between Battler and Beatrice.

* The overdramatic Engrish in the ED.

* Goat Battle Buttlers.

* Battle Bunny Girls with awesome/ridiculous weaponry.

* General overacting and overblown facial expressions by much of the cast.

* gg's light trolling and occasional commercials -- it's less than other gg releases like Madoka and Star Driver, but I found myself actively hoping for commercials and joke lines in later episodes of Umineko. Commericals are only in the TV versions, obviously.

If the option is available to you, I recommend consuming alcoholic drinks before and during any Umineko viewing -- it makes the experience so much better.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.

Everything that connects to MAL
Oct 2, 2012 12:15 AM

Aug 2009
Zalis said:

* The hammy overacting of Sayaka Ohara as Beatrice, in a rare role that's not a "gentle big sister" character.

* The Ace Attorney-esque philosophical tug-of-wars between Battler and Beatrice.

* The overdramatic Engrish in the ED.

These were some of the good parts of the anime.

* General overacting and overblown facial expressions by much of the cast.

What?In the anime it was more like "everyone is dying !!!!!let's make a cup of tea".That is not overacting in a horror story.Then again you said that it would be best to look at it as a comedy.....
Oct 10, 2012 4:32 PM

Mar 2009
I think most of the problem with this anime is that interpreting the story is really, really difficult without knowing about Knox's Decalogue (in particular, how this means that most of what you've seen didn't really happen, but is relevant anyway), which isn't introduced until Chiru.

Rewatching the Umineko anime after having finished the VNs and ascertained the solution, the hints are indeed all still present in the anime.

Could it have been better? Certainly. Was it nearly as bad as some people seem to suggest? Dear god no.

Ideal way to finish it would be to have ufotable or someone re-start from EP4, perhaps doing EP4 as an introductory OVA, then doing 5-8 as a proper series (and 2-cour).
Not that we're likely to ever see an anime of Umineko Chiru.

PS: The voice acting cast was the best part of the anime, especially Ohara Sayaka's deliciously hammy (but at times tender and delicate) Beatrice.
Shoujo_QOct 10, 2012 4:37 PM
Oct 11, 2012 12:55 AM

Apr 2011
Chigau Chigau~ Umineko isn't a bad anime, maybe you found it boring while watching. Well, me too I found it boring on the 1st and other episodes. But some of them expects like Higurashi so they rate it so bad. For me It deserves to get a high score.

and I think VN was better. I have them but I didn't played them before (idonthavetime)
---
Oct 11, 2012 1:02 AM

Aug 2011
Yes, the anime isn't as good as the visual novel. The visual novel has a really poor ending though if you are expecting any answers.
Oct 11, 2012 2:10 PM

Mar 2009
McN said:
Yes, the anime isn't as good as the visual novel. The visual novel has a really poor ending though if you are expecting any answers.

You mean if you're expecting that you'll be spoonfed the answers, right?
Oct 14, 2012 5:39 AM
Sep 2011
Yes, it was very bad, it destroyed the source material in every way it possibly could have, ruined the character, rushed the development, used the wrong soundtracks on some scenes to completely ruin the mood(in the fight between Eva Beatrice and Beato in the 3rd game originally it was a really sad depressing song playing called thanks for being born which the anime for some reason changed to some random action music) and worst of all they removed red truths which are the most important thing in the entire Umineko universe.
The first 4 episodes of Umineko are likely the best in the series and DEEN completely butchered and destroyed them for what they were

Oh and in response to the first commenter:
First 6 episodes of Umineko are amazing.
The 7th episode was really just there because people were crying to Ryukshi for the answer and so Ryukshi made the 7th game with an explanation to how everything happened.
The 8th episode was really just there to give closure to the story, even if it was complete BS closure it seems most people are willing to accept lies as long as they get their happy ending.
Needless to say the 7th and 8th episodes are the worst but I honestly think most people just don't understand why they are there and expect another nail-biting murder mystery from them.
I think Bernkastel best summed up the last two episodes when she said they were there to

The other group of people who seem to hate the last two episodes are ones who expected to be spoonfed the answers of every single mystery as Umineko does not do that, it leaves you to figure it out on your own. And to the people who thought they would be spoonfed the answers: You clearly were reading the wrong series since Ryukshi made it clear he wasn't planning on straight up telling us the answers and even without that episode 7 made the official explanation easy as all hell to understand.
edl01Oct 14, 2012 5:45 AM
Oct 15, 2012 11:34 PM

Aug 2009
edl01 said:
Yes, it was very bad, it destroyed the source material in every way it possibly could have, ruined the character, rushed the development, used the wrong soundtracks on some scenes to completely ruin the mood(in the fight between Eva Beatrice and Beato in the 3rd game originally it was a really sad depressing song playing called thanks for being born which the anime for some reason changed to some random action music) and worst of all they removed red truths which are the most important thing in the entire Umineko universe.
The first 4 episodes of Umineko are likely the best in the series and DEEN completely butchered and destroyed them for what they were

Oh and in response to the first commenter:
First 6 episodes of Umineko are amazing.
The 7th episode was really just there because people were crying to Ryukshi for the answer and so Ryukshi made the 7th game with an explanation to how everything happened.
The 8th episode was really just there to give closure to the story, even if it was complete BS closure it seems most people are willing to accept lies as long as they get their happy ending.
Needless to say the 7th and 8th episodes are the worst but I honestly think most people just don't understand why they are there and expect another nail-biting murder mystery from them.
I think Bernkastel best summed up the last two episodes when she said they were there to

The other group of people who seem to hate the last two episodes are ones who expected to be spoonfed the answers of every single mystery as Umineko does not do that, it leaves you to figure it out on your own. And to the people who thought they would be spoonfed the answers: You clearly were reading the wrong series since Ryukshi made it clear he wasn't planning on straight up telling us the answers and even without that episode 7 made the official explanation easy as all hell to understand.

What I like about the ending is that fans are still making up theories.Well except the ones that dont accept the(major spoiler)
theory(or maybe fact) I really like how they over analyze things while trying to open the catbox.
Jan 20, 2013 1:08 AM
Jul 2018
I watched it three times and read the novel twice. I do not understand how any of you thought it was that bad, or even how you could possibly get confused. It's quite obvious from the start that there are multiple perspectives. Battler's perspective which we can take at face value, scenes not from island Battler's own eyes are subjective (they may or may not have happened), and the magical scenes is just a deceitful trick to show you how the murders could have been done by magic but contain hints hidden with. Magic doesn't exist, magical scenes are pure fantasy; it is the truth in disguise. The entire meta world thing exists as a crutch for the reader/viewer to solve the mystery.
removed-userJan 13, 2015 7:42 AM
Aug 8, 2013 10:03 PM

Aug 2013
It wasn't that bad. I actually enjoyed the series and the references that it made to my all time favorite anime, Higurashi. Hater gonna hate though so. The ending would have ruined it for a lot of people.
"Canaan. You're a victim whose past was taken away by war. And she's a defeated person who lost her past in a power struggle. Soldiers who are born within destruction take hatred as their weapon. Even though you and her became soldiers for the same reason, you both live differently. Listen Canaan, you cannot counter hatred with hatred... ever." -Siam, Canaan
Aug 8, 2013 11:22 PM

Aug 2013
Why is Umineko so bad in your opinion I loved it and am willing to discuss. Your answer can not be... "Umineko was crap."... on its own. Just remember that. If you do that you have no say and your arguement is invalid. Take the time to explain and you can even be rude in your response. I didn't write the series so I won't be offended.
"Canaan. You're a victim whose past was taken away by war. And she's a defeated person who lost her past in a power struggle. Soldiers who are born within destruction take hatred as their weapon. Even though you and her became soldiers for the same reason, you both live differently. Listen Canaan, you cannot counter hatred with hatred... ever." -Siam, Canaan
Aug 8, 2013 11:23 PM

Nov 2010
"Umineko was crap."... on its own.
Aug 8, 2013 11:26 PM

Oct 2012
who is umineko?
RRRRRRRRRR
Aug 8, 2013 11:27 PM

Nov 2012
Poor adaptation of the visual novel is what the majority will say.

Jul 2013
it would help if i knew what umineko was
Aug 8, 2013 11:31 PM

Nov 2010
Tennouji_ said:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?animeid=4896
Funny thing is the OP posted in that thread that you made about the same topic. And now decided to make his or her own.
Aug 8, 2013 11:43 PM

Aug 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
Tennouji_ said:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?animeid=4896
Funny thing is the OP posted in that thread that you made about the same topic. And now decided to make his or her own.

Yep I did. I wanted to know the views of other people. And set up the rule that you can't just say something is bad and expect others just understand what they are thinking.
Aug 8, 2013 11:58 PM

Jun 2009
Topic Merged
All of the is umineko so bad anime goes together.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Sep 28, 2013 6:02 PM

Mar 2008
I have not read the visual novel, none what so ever, so my premise of my critique is a anime viewer Umineko is not a good anime, and it was rather awful but get my point why it is. I like the anime but i am rather subjective to liking to actually give it a good rating.

The story-line is very interesting though since is an adaptation from the Visual Novel, I'll give the visual novel the credit for that. Which leads me to my point, the VN which is already made, there shouldn't no excuse the way this anime of executed. The anime was going good for me throughout the first arc of the story, only after all killings has happened and Beatrice appears with Battler challenging is when the anime goes south. It seems like the director of the anime wanted to created some sort of mystery atmosphere but failed to create such ambiance to the second part of the series. It only created confusion and too many loose ends that tie all the anime scenes together.
What I mean by that is that is that the scenes would move from one place without no prior reference and no explanation on why they are showing that scene in anime at that time. I was more or less trying to figure every scene that was given to me. Sadly it did not make sense, only then in the later part of the anime series it sort of made sense again but sadly that was near the ending of the anime which shouldn't happen in any anime. Now I there's a couple of scenes, I liked like when Battler and Beatrice, were battling out with how the can magic not be real with the puzzle how can a killer be in all places and kill these x amount of people in each room.

Now not everything in Umineko is was awful, the art was great seeing that Studio DEEN signature character was in play her, along with such detailed backgrounds throughout the scenes of the anime. Beatrice and Ange character work are favorite from them all. The music used in the anime wasn't over the top and provide the right atmosphere per scene it was used for. Since my particular like is the original VN instrumental work called "Hope"(I know this because I played the song in Osu!).

Now everything I pointed out, the anime had thing going for itself, such as character animation and music. Though sadly, it did not make up with all the plot holes and random change of scenes which the main essences of any anime. To me this is why Umineko is not a good anime.

I'd like to point, that I didn't discuss character development, even though it will give a stronger point to my response, since the story and direction is a mess. These points should suffice for this question.
Dec 12, 2013 4:16 AM

Oct 2012
Kanapesh said:
One of the best VN.
One of the worst adaptation. Ever.

This!
Jan 10, 2014 11:23 PM
Nov 2007
Fresh viewer here, just finished the anime for the first time. I have never played the VN, but will be certain to check it out now that the anime left me wanting a whole lot more.

Want I want to ask is: Why hate on something just because it falls short of the greatness of it's source material? Why can't we (those of us who haven't been spoiled by the VN at least) appreciate it for what it is?

From beginning to end the shaky logic and continually rising number of plot holes were apparent to me. Does that make it horrible? No. I still enjoyed it for a rare level of interesting and engaging characterization that I hardly ever see in thriller-type anime.
Screw the mysteries. Screw the plot. Even without those things, you could still see the masterpiece of human experience hidden behind them. Did the anime totally screw up the translation of the VN? I can believe it. But that doesn't mean it didn't manage to capture a hint of the greatness, and that hint was enough to make me love the experience from start to finish. (Except for the final episode of course -.-)

Boring characters some people say... I have no idea what they mean. Beatrice is easily the most brilliant villain I've ever seen in a very very long time, if not forever. Battler is shallow and half-witted as hell, but it didn't bother me at all considering that the ANIME wasn't even about him. If you follow those threads that the anime actually does give you, you realize it is a story of the experiences that can be summed up in the character of Beatrice, and those passed on by her through the Ushiromiya family.
It's about all of them. Who they were, what happened to bring them to that point, and what it would take to break the cycle of suffering. The metaphors and direct parallels to a genuine human experience were plentiful and heartfelt. (Of course it was a shame that the story didn't have the time to develop all the secondary characters properly or give any kind of closure for any of them, but I feel it still did a solid job of using what time it did have to convey their essences)

At the end I honestly have almost no idea what the 'plot' was really about. Is that bad? Sure. Could I figure out more of it if I took the time to think about it? Sure. Do I care to? Not really. It was a great human story, I wasn't bothered by the plot not making sense, and I loved it regardless.

Maybe the reason why so many people hate it (apart from the disappointed VN fans) is because they expected a cerebral mystery and got a story that is more easily understood by the heart instead? I don't know. If any one cares to explain it to me with objective arguments proving it has little value as a story, I'm all ears, but I don't think it can be done.

In the mean time, I'm off to check out the VN. :)
Jan 11, 2014 2:06 AM

Aug 2009
^
I saw the anime before reading the VN.The anime had its good and bad moments but they were mostly bad.Beatrice,Eva/Eva-Beatrice and Battler cannot save the show alone.

I dont understand that while you yourself point out all of its problems, you say that it isnt all that bad.

Especially that last part "because they expected a cerebral mystery and got a story that is more easily understood by the heart instead? ".
THAT is the point and when you read the VN you will get what I mean.Just like the FSn adaptation by the same studio, only the events were adapted and not the story and characters themselves.

Sure it made me interested in the VN,it made me to care enough about all of them(well except Gohda), their backgrounds and motives.But that doesnt make it good.
Jan 11, 2014 12:31 PM
Nov 2007
ssjokg said:
Sure it made me interested in the VN,it made me to care enough about all of them(well except Gohda), their backgrounds and motives.But that doesnt make it good.

Depending on the perspective of the viewer, one might see things in an opposite light. From a certain point of view, any story that can make you care about the characters and relate to what they are going through is at the very least worth experiencing.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that indeed it is a failure because it failed to be the intelligent cerebral mystery people expected. I would disagree because a story doesn't have to be what people expect of it in order to be good. I for one have practically zero interest in heavily intellectual stories. I was first attracted to the anime because it promised high drama in a horror setting with lots of interesting and/or disturbing deaths, not because I was looking for a good mystery that would make me use my brain. Not only did I find what I was looking for, it surpassed my expectations by having such memorable and full-of-potential characters.

(On the other hand, I was hoping for the same from 'Another' which is quite highly rated on MAL and found it to be shallow and disappointing with a core theme and ending that left a bitter taste in my mouth. If you look at it from the perspective of human experience rather than a woven web of mystery and hidden logic your expectations of the story are certain to be different and your measure of its success as well. Though tbh I feel like Another failed at pretty much both angles, but that's not a topic for this board.)

I don't think they completely failed to adapt the characters either. I got the feeling behind who Beatrice really is even though most people complain that she was ruined by the anime and only portrayed as a villain. People say characters like Rosa and Maria are one-dimensional and annoying in the anime, I disagree there as well. Just because their bad sides are shown more than the good doesn't mean we can't relate to them if we understand the reality of their experience.

In short, a story doesn't have to succeed brilliantly in every aspect to be good. It just has to make you relate and give you the potential to feel like you can grow from understanding it. I know that due to confusing many viewers and skipping the development of many characters that is a bit harder for this anime to succeed at, which is why I wouldn't rate it as a "great" anime, but because there are those of us who can engage with it and understand the essence of its characters without being spoonfed their personalities I think it is definitely a story of some value.
Jan 11, 2014 11:08 PM

Aug 2009
Except that seeing that it had potential and actually being that good is different.

The anime made to actually want to know what the real characters and setting is about.That doesnt mean that I liked the majority of the characters or that I liked them enough to call it good.

BTW who do you think Beatrice really is?
Jan 12, 2014 4:25 PM
Nov 2007
For clarity, any anime that can make someone like it enough to want to watch it again is most certainly good, regardless of how many flaws it had, it's merely up to subjectivity to determine who likes it that much and who doesn't. The only problem I have here is that all the rage from the VN fans on this forum drowns out the people who did genuinely like the anime and gives the impression that no one liked it or thought it was good, which is simply not true.

For me, I don't feel the need to hold anime up to some lofty standard in order to call it good. It simply has to have at least one ingredient that can be universally enjoyed thoughout the experience. Umineko had at least 3 of those. Its failure to make the most of them doesn't make it "bad" it just makes it "not great". Since I did like it, and I don't feel that the problems people are talking about are all as awful as they are made out to be, I DO call it good. And I think there are enough people out there who did enjoy it for what it was to say that it's not just in my imagination.

Who is Beatrice? In terms of identity I honestly have no idea. The anime didn't give you enough information to really begin to guess on your own. Especially when it's hard to even determine what is reality and what is not at this point. What I do feel about her for sure is that she is much more complex than merely someone with a single-minded focus on achieving her goal, and that in a way, she and Battler were perfectly made for each other... I just wish Battler in the anime actually lived up to her expectations in a believable way. He was especially retarded in the final episode where he did nothing but spout horrible logic to attain an ultimately hollow victory, ignoring everything that had transpired so far. I would have enjoyed the defeat scene immensely if he had actually acted like he took her seriously and did something more than ejaculate theories that a child could have invented.
(Also, it was pretty obvious that Beatrice's feelings in the 3rd game weren't all just part of an elaborate swindle, regardless of what she claimed. Which I thought was really awesome.)

Point is, because it was too confusing to figure everything out I just decided to relax and take things at face value, enjoying the characters I was shown in the way that they were shown without bothering with futile brainwork. Hence why I don't feel the need to whine about all the inconsistencies. It gave me enough information to believe in the experiences of the characters, regardless of what the reality of the plot was, and that was enough for me to enjoy watching them.

Really, I'm not 100% sure I want to know the truth behind everything because I kinda doubt it will be as satisfying as the picture the anime was able to paint in my imagination through its scarcity of information. Not to say I won't be reading the VN, just that I'm a bit scared it won't turn out cool enough to live up to how I feel about things atm.
ValduranJan 12, 2014 4:53 PM
Jan 13, 2014 5:19 AM

Aug 2009
Yeah Umineko isnt awful, that is true it is just average(5) at least to me and for me that means "The story is interesting but there are huge problems with the pacing or voice acting/music/animation.Saved by few comedy scenes.Usually a bad adaption of a manga or visual novel that sparks my interest in the original."(more details about my ratings in my profile)

The biggest problem it had is that it is presented as a mystery yet it fails to provide the viewer with an understanding of the world.Literally the show is mystery vs fantasy.But the anime makes Battler look even more retarded than he is.His reason for denying the "obvious" magic is nowhere.
(as for the final showdown,Battler was that bad even in the novel, if Beatrice hadnt already given up he would end up like in EP2 again) http://i.imgur.com/ULwfyGl.jpg
So when the mystery seems to be nowhere and the conclusion is also nowhere it i shard to say that it is good.
Jan 13, 2014 1:04 PM
Nov 2007
lol @ that jpg. Too true.

Even though it would have invalidated the mystery aspect I would have been happy with an ending that implied the duel would continue on and on for an indefinite period of time, rather than the 'cliffhanger' indicating the story has reached a turning point. Because as you said, the show didn't give us enough understanding for the 'mystery' aspect to feel real or worth fighting for.

I think I accepted that the characters were long dead from episode 5, so I wasn't really looking for a "they all live" happy end, or a "this is how they really died" explanation, and I actually had more fun just taking the magical explanation at face value and looking at it from Beatrice's perspective; "Battler is worth fighting because he has the power to deny magic, not because he is actually right".
So from my point of view, there was never really any mystery to begin with because it is all pretty much explained up front if you simply swallow Beatrice's explanation. xD

But really, when I think about it, I actually appreciated having an anime that was ambiguous enough for once that I was actually able to decide for myself what was the truth instead of having to accept a truth set in stone, yet straightforward enough that no matter what you believed it still felt real.

Hmm.... I wonder if this is a case of my imagination making an anime better than it actually is? X_x

Still, the fact that it could do that at all is enough. I'm going to give it an 7. I had too much fun to deny the experience.
ValduranJan 13, 2014 1:29 PM
Jan 26, 2014 10:17 AM

Nov 2012
Im about to finish 4arc of Umineko VN and I must admit, ye anime is much inferior to VN due to lacking plot, but still...

I think Studio Deen did their best to close it in 26 episodes and it isn't matter of studio it's rather matter of length, question is, if it would be profitable, if it would be closed in 50 episodes.

I havent anything against their art, I always liked their style.
Amazing OP and ED, but OST could be a bit better
Plot butchered, but still great universe.

Now check at other anime and Umineko, by comparing process it still looks like Umineko VN>Umineko anime>anime overall.

CHIRU IN COMING!!
Jan 26, 2014 2:34 PM

Aug 2009
Krunchy said:
Im about to finish 4arc of Umineko VN and I must admit, ye anime is much inferior to VN due to lacking plot, but still...

I think Studio Deen did their best to close it in 26 episodes and it isn't matter of studio it's rather matter of length, question is, if it would be profitable, if it would be closed in 50 episodes.

If it wasnt butchered it would definitely be more profitable than it was.
Jan 30, 2014 12:22 PM
Jul 2013
Krunchy said:

A 26 episode run was probably the maximum it was ever going to get. With 50+ episodes, there's always the question of whether enough people will plunk down money for the video discs. A full set with Chiru would require over 100 episodes, so there's immediate incentive for someone to avoid collecting the discs in favor of a competing series that requires less investment.

IMO, the real failing of Umineko isn't necessarily the adaptation. There are plenty of questionable adaptations (including Higurashi, Fate/Stay Night, Sword Art Online) that sell fine, so it's just one part of the equation.

The problem with Umineko is mediocrity on all levels - low budget, terrible quality control over art/animation, dull shading, awkward timing, lack of attention in setting the mood, poor balance of exposition and visual engagement (this particular point is a real killer because Umineko is a snoozer for many viewers)......I'd suspect that many prospective customers dismissed the whole show within an episode or two because there's little to keep them coming back.
Jan 30, 2014 11:24 PM

Aug 2009
Yause said:

The problem with Umineko is mediocrity on all levels - low budget, terrible quality control over art/animation, dull shading, awkward timing, lack of attention in setting the mood, poor balance of exposition and visual engagement (this particular point is a real killer because Umineko is a snoozer for many viewers)......I'd suspect that many prospective customers dismissed the whole show within an episode or two because there's little to keep them coming back.
Well these is what can make an adaptation fail.
May 7, 2014 3:59 PM

Dec 2013
Here's my views:

The anime is where it started for me. I'm a Higurashi fan and found it because of that. I liked it. (Thought Higurashi was better at the time.) Then I discovered the Visual Novels and... WOW! The anime doesn't do it justice!! Umineko is my favorite Visual Novel of all time!!! The anime felt like absolute crap after I finished all 8 episodes of the VN!!!! Say what you will about the anime, but don't say anything bad about this work of art!!!!! *pant* *pant*

*cough* Excuse me. Anyway, I don't think it was THAT bad but I can see the logic in everyone's arguments.
Jun 5, 2014 11:10 AM

Dec 2011
Half bad for my part, I loved the first cases, but when the magic stuff comes with the Touhou Duel of Yugioh, that became a little overdo it. But the VN transcribed that feeling absolutely well. I love how the personality of Beatrice is strong in the anime, that was well adapted, but when Ange sppears, I don't know why I lost it. I've watch the anime before the VN and enjoy it a little.
Jul 14, 2014 2:48 PM
Jan 2012
I actually enjoyed it.
Right now start to read the manga.
After all, the deny of witch is not in the direct way. Its more used like the only weapon to defeat Beatrice. Of course the anime has some mistakes. The ending is some kind of bad and easy.
I watched Higurashi so the repeat of the plot was not big deal.
The argument between the participant of the game are not big deal , but that stop from the action looked well in my eyes.
At least Beatrice troll was good.

^My english sucks. ^ Not really good at explain things ^Visual novel is more better than manga/anime?
Jul 14, 2014 4:18 PM

Aug 2009
newlifeplayer said:

^My english sucks. ^ Not really good at explain things ^Visual novel is more better than manga/anime?
a million times better.
Jul 27, 2014 6:49 PM
Oct 2013
ssjokg said:
newlifeplayer said:

a million times better.

Actually, I'd say that the manga's a pretty good adaptation of the VN. For the most part, I'd still recommend the VN, for the music, and the voice patch, but I actually think that the manga improves upon EP5 and EP8. Even if you've already read the novels, I'd actually still recommend checking out the manga, because the art is fantastic, and there's a metric ton of new visual clues,
Not only that, but the manga's version of Episode 8 is VERY VERY VERY different than the VN's, and I like the way it
Jul 28, 2014 1:15 AM

Aug 2009
Doowarp said:
ssjokg said:
a million times better.

Actually, I'd say that the manga's a pretty good adaptation of the VN. For the most part, I'd still recommend the VN, for the music, and the voice patch, but I actually think that the manga improves upon EP5 and EP8. Even if you've already read the novels, I'd actually still recommend checking out the manga, because the art is fantastic, and there's a metric ton of new visual clues,
Not only that, but the manga's version of Episode 8 is VERY VERY VERY different than the VN's, and I like the way it
I am planning to read the manga, I just wait for full translations.

And due to the thread my reply was about the anime.Should have explained.
Jul 28, 2014 2:40 AM

Nov 2012
I would buy the manga, if it would be a bit cheaper.
Oct 1, 2014 5:32 PM

Aug 2013
DigitalCommander said:
Here's my views:

The anime is where it started for me. I'm a Higurashi fan and found it because of that. I liked it. (Thought Higurashi was better at the time.) Then I discovered the Visual Novels and... WOW! The anime doesn't do it justice!! Umineko is my favorite Visual Novel of all time!!! The anime felt like absolute crap after I finished all 8 episodes of the VN!!!! Say what you will about the anime, but don't say anything bad about this work of art!!!!! *pant* *pant*

*cough* Excuse me. Anyway, I don't think it was THAT bad but I can see the logic in everyone's arguments.

In the same boat with this guy here. Umineko no Naku Koro ni is a masterpiece.
For me the problem with the anime besides the story etc is that I felt nothing watching it.. the VN is just you can't put the feelings into words.
Oct 26, 2014 8:44 PM

May 2014
You know, it's incredible, I was on the hunt for the second series (which of course, doesn't exist) to get some answers because unfortunately I don't have the wits about me to make some of the incredible connections people have made. So, although enjoying the show, following it just enough with my own little assumptions to keep the plot moving in my head, I was hardly blown away and believed it (because I couldn't confirm it in my head) to be kind of made up on the spot and not actually make sense. However, after reading the first page of replies on this forum I've had my eyes totally opened to what I now respect as a really impressively written head fuck anime.

I can really really see why people didn't like it though, because the ties are so hard to make and subtly hinted you can finish an episode and question it as well as the worthiness of the next, if you think you're just going to be left hung by the noose of mystery again with no honest answer to be uncovered, why plough on?

Plus, lets be honest, Battler was a really shallow character, he did come across as an idiot, a lot. Call me simple, but I didn't like that he was an upfront badass looking cool and a losing emotional wuss that collapsed almost every other turn. Is he a worthy protagonist that's just up against a mighty foe, or is he a shallow loser putting up a front with no hope of winning!? In my mind, this focus jumped too much, the difference is subtle, but since from what I saw he was the key MC in this, and this subtle difference in his portrayal not being outlined put down my viewing pleasure a little.

But you know, worth a watch I think, I'm not really into horror anime but I felt as a sense of longing from it, I just wasn't totally satisfied. Such a shame, from what the people who read the VN have said, what would have been the next series really ties up loose ends and gives the plot some grounding. I would definitely watch it if it is released some day! I'd even watch a remake!
Music, Anime, Comic Books. Ah... I think I'll be alright, after all.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What is this and why do people say this is a sequel to Higurashi?

Asudox - Nov 26, 2023

12 by miblan »»
Jan 18, 5:07 AM

» Googled a bit Umineko... A lot of people want another adaptation.

Uburero - Dec 9, 2023

6 by miblan »»
Jan 9, 3:20 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Trineas - Jul 1, 2009

348 by Asudox »»
Dec 10, 2023 1:13 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Rail_Tracer - Dec 22, 2009

665 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 12:56 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

francismeunier - Nov 25, 2009

125 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 9:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.