Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 15, 2007 7:26 AM

Jul 2007
Honestly, I was a little hesitant to start on Gantz because it was seinen and most seinen anime I came across wasn't exactly my cup of tea. But ignoring the pervertness of Kei (which wasn't very surprising because I do know some guys as pervertic as him =.=)and the nudity aspects in the anime, I think it was a good first season. It's refreshing to have a lead character who isn't a 'good' guy, it feels a little strange but I guess I really enjoyed the excitement of the hunt and the violence and all.
Oct 26, 2007 4:23 AM

May 2007
hmm realy good anime if ya ask me one of the best I watch recently hmm If ya watch anime make sure you have watch gantz...^^
the pervert stuf was realy cool imo xD im also pervert mayB thats why gehehe (A) xD
“If you win, you live. If you lose, you die. If you don’t fight, you can’t win.”
Dec 15, 2007 3:40 PM

May 2007
When I first watched this searies it seemed rather good, however after watching it through a time or two I started to think otherwise. The story line and chracters were all kind of shallow, I think what really attracts people to this anime isnt the quality of it but the fact that i's probly one of the most vulgar animes currently on the market. it's kind of like a bad car wreck, it's not really appealing but you can turn away.

On another note the ending really sucked....

"WoW is like a kiddie pool, it looks fun on the package, but is ultimately too shallow to enjoy."

Dec 16, 2007 9:26 PM

May 2007
hmm oke the ending suck but.. I can't agree with the rest of it but oke you need to like animes like this but for me it was a classic ^^
“If you win, you live. If you lose, you die. If you don’t fight, you can’t win.”
Dec 28, 2007 10:40 PM

May 2007
lol about the only thing about this anime which I found to be "clasic" was the fact that I found the first season of it at walmart and we all know how up tight walmart is about selling anything that might be the even slightest bit vulgar

"WoW is like a kiddie pool, it looks fun on the package, but is ultimately too shallow to enjoy."

Dec 29, 2007 1:10 PM

Mar 2007
If you thought the ending sucked, read the manga. The anime deviated after the end of the Buddha arc, made absolutely no sense the ruined the series.

The manga, however, keeps up the awesomeness.

I'm not attracted to the gore or the nudity, I enjoy the storyline and the characters (well, one's that live long enough for anyone to enjoy). The character development with Kei is fun to watch.

Jan 5, 2008 4:29 AM
Sep 2007
plz guys tell me if there is a cut version of this anime available plzzz
Jan 5, 2008 6:24 AM

Sep 2007
Cut Version of Gantz?o0
Mh...if you cut Gantz every EP will just be around 5 min long :P

@topic: I liked the Idea of "normal" people fighting for their lifes without super human abilitys...until the moment kei used the suit :P
what_everJan 5, 2008 6:28 AM
Jan 19, 2008 7:41 AM

Apr 2007
gantz general discussion?

read the manga, please.
逃げちゃ駄目だ。
Jan 22, 2008 3:09 AM

Jul 2007
Ending was bad, didnt answer any questions for me ;(
Jan 25, 2008 3:32 PM
Jul 2007
they ran out of money so they cut it short.. seriously tho manga
Feb 17, 2008 4:59 PM
Sep 2007
I'm happy I didn't watch the anime, and read the manga from what I hear, they screwed it up big time.
Hi
Feb 28, 2008 9:51 PM
Aug 2007
Does anyone kno where to find the english subs for this. Ive been on crunchyroll, veoh, stage6. those usually have them on there but its nowhere to be found plz help.
Mar 21, 2008 6:01 PM

Aug 2007
The anime did botch up the ending in so many ways. I also wish there was less standing around talking while creepy and powerful and at times huge aliens are about to kill you. Shoot first, talk later.
Apr 29, 2008 10:00 PM

Oct 2007
azurel said:
Honestly, I was a little hesitant to start on Gantz because it was seinen and most seinen anime I came across wasn't exactly my cup of tea.
It's not technically seinen since the manga was serialized in Shounen Jump
Aug 6, 2008 12:11 PM
Jul 2008
When I first started watching I thought the concept would be nice. However as the series went on I found myself getting more pissed off at the characters. It always the fact that there would be the long drowned out pauses.
Sep 9, 2008 9:00 AM

Feb 2007
quitearush said:
azurel said:
Honestly, I was a little hesitant to start on Gantz because it was seinen and most seinen anime I came across wasn't exactly my cup of tea.
It's not technically seinen since the manga was serialized in Shounen Jump

Bzzzzzzzt. Wrong answer.

Gantz is serialized in Week Young Jump. A Seinen magazine.

Oct 4, 2009 8:37 PM
Sep 2009
wtfffff.

The ending was TERRIBLY disappointing. I was debating with myself and flipping a coin as to whether Kei survived or not, and I settled on survive at the very last moment when he went 'bang', but WTF, I wanted to tear my eyes out from the lack of closure and complete irresponsibility of it all when all I got was the white screen. I literally uttered an expletive and my screen got the middle finger. NEVER have I been so disappointed with an ending!

I'm not into extreme abstract thinking along the lines of 'the-viewer-makes-his-own-ending' because I believe that a good anime series has the responsibility to make their viewers satisfied (ergo the epic in 'epic ending')- and I really don't care for bullshit excuses like 'it's open to interpretation' when an absolute question such as WHETHER HE SURVIVED is posed.

I know people say it's all about the journey and what we can learn from the story- that humans can be such effed up creatures (and that not everyone is that way), but REALLY, one does NOT need a crazy hriller anime to tell us that, which is why people like me look for nail biting suspense and plot thrills. Where else would we pessimists get our entertainment from then?

With that said though, I'm still reeling from the after effects of the awesomeness of the previous episodes.

I shouldn't be too lengthy, so here's my take on the story's pros and cons:

Cons:
- Draggy at certain points. I actually skipped like, 10 seconds and didn't miss anything in many places.
- The fact that you cannot strangle the characters and tell them to shut their traps and get on with killing an alien which is about to kill them soon. Ridiculously enough, all the aliens seem to wait forever for them to finish talking before actually attacking or even making a move. That's damn lame.
- A conglomeration of the most ANNOYING TYPES of human traits I've ever seen, ala Kanto and big tits. Half the time I'm rolling my eyes (no, REALLY) in exasperation at those two idiots who really should have died a long time ago.
-Most ridiculous and shitty ending ever in an anime. It *almost* killed all my love for it. Thank god it was made up for with:

Pros:
- The utter realism of Kei being the typical horny adolescent male and not some princed up version of a fairytale knight in shining armour as seen in your everyday garden variety fantasy anime (which I am really getting tired of)
- The whole psychological, thought provoking essence of the anime
- The portrayal of the shittiest of human behaviour- from the perverted daydreaming of everyday normal people like Kei's school teacher/students ' in err... revealing outfits (or the lack thereof) to the perversion of the mind ala sociopathic 16 year old with blue hair (sorry I'm not very good with names) to the ultimate extremes of empathy (without lack of sensibility and rationality) ala Kanto the ultimate idiot wimp who looks like a jock but with the heart rivalled only to Asahina Miruku >_>"
- The subtle undercurrents of cynicism and skepticism at humanity as a whole, religion and false beliefs, war, self-interest and hypocrisy.
- How the viewer is rooting for the anti hero figure who isn't any human with super powers. Ok fine, to be fair, that's technically incorrect because he DOES have super powers, but the rest have it as well so it puts them on a level playing field, but he succeeds because he's the one who actually WILLED himself to survive beyond the odds
- The sadism and quasi-omnipotence and control that Gantz has
- The concept of human manipulation by a higher power and the haplessness of humanity by their own weaknesses BUT
- The way that was complemented by the fact that said quasi-omnipotent higher power was defeated at his own game and his implicit views challenged by the very human with traits that one would think would be the ones to cause a human his downfall (DELICIOUS IRONY)
- The philosophical implications the viewer is forced to feel, especially if the viewer is a depressed, semi-suicidal person (read: me). A personal note: I've been depressed for over 8 months now and am right now currently trying to get better with medication and what have you nots, and as a consequence, I have been shutting myself in my room watching anime all day. I was nearly suicidal about a few weeks ago, and I still feel very depressed most of the time, and I find there's no use living. Therefore certain scenes in this anime reverberated in me rather poignantly- especially the one where Kanto fell to his knees and cried out at the depraved killing of homeless men, and that is that what the rest really want to go back to after winning the game? It struck a mournful chord in me, but what was really amazing was the way the lead charcter- yes your ubiquitiously typical, hormonally-imbalanced horny male adolescent managed to show to everyone that he could survive. The whole concept of 'The Game' is reminiscent of life- it is not a bed of bloody roses (well, maybe the bloody part isn't too wrong lol) and it is very much full of suffering, and at some point of time in life, we all have had to make a really hard choice. I especially loved the phrase from the book by "Miranda Frost" (LOL BOND LOL) about labyrinths- "There are no labyrinths we cannot get out from", where 'labyrinth' is synonymous with 'problem'. And I believe in that. It used to be a personal motto of mine that there is no problem unsolvable, and that I remembered again myself, the self which I lost a long time ago; the self that loves problem solving and the self that is very good at it. I remember that there is no problem I cannot solve and I remember that what I have is a problem, and that I CAN solve that problem; it doesn't mean that we are uesless or ability-less creatures just because we do not possess superpowers because what we have is tenacity and the primeval instinct to keep surviving. After all, that is why we are still living; not because we want to, but because we CANNOT HELP IT. So why should we deny our most basic instinct, right?

And those are the reasons why I will STILL give Gantz a 10/10 (FINE, 1 point was because of the nudity and sex scenes which were fantastic) despite the lack of a proper ending. Maybe I got my hopes up too high, but then again, I shouldn't expect perfection in this world, and a 10/10, although denoting perfection, is not exactly perfection in a sense; it just means that its awesomeness was too overpowering for its failing points- a simple matter of the lack of equilibrium for a 5/10 rating.
anumericalevilOct 4, 2009 8:56 PM
Dec 29, 2010 2:39 AM
Nov 2010
I must say that the idea of the anime was really good and it could be one of the best anime easily...
Although, it seems the theme wasn't worked on enough and it pretty much lost the sense it should've had and turned into "just another" anime of it's kind...
Even the music was quite good, the characters had quite some space to develop in, and the art was fitting the idea of the anime...
It's too bad that it's kinda ruined...
Apr 3, 2011 9:36 AM

Jul 2009
anumericalevil said it and he's absolutely right. The whole "let's wait for the human trash finish their annoying conversation and then attack them" was sooo lame. Too much useless talking, very little action. Good thing that before I watched the anime I looked up the manga first. And I can say that the manga is pure awesomeness. I too think that if I've watched the anime without reading the manga, I would understand shit from the whole plot.
- What's your name?
- Name? What's a... name?
- You know... it's what people say when they meet you.
- When they meet me? Ah, okay, why didn't you say so?
When people meet me, they all say the same thing: "HELP!"

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gantz Episode 5 Discussion

Scribbly - Sep 14, 2008

44 by pinnicopalls »»
Jun 3, 10:22 AM

Poll: » Gantz Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Oct 5, 2008

69 by ST63LTH »»
May 6, 9:44 AM

Poll: » Gantz Episode 12 Discussion

Scribbly - Oct 5, 2008

43 by ST63LTH »»
May 6, 9:36 AM

Poll: » Gantz Episode 11 Discussion

Scribbly - Oct 4, 2008

49 by ST63LTH »»
May 6, 9:27 AM

Poll: » Gantz Episode 10 Discussion

B25Mitch - Sep 27, 2008

37 by ST63LTH »»
May 6, 9:13 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.