Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (16) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Sep 1, 2012 5:01 PM

Aug 2012
spartan112g said:
Never have/will read the LN because I save my reading time for books that aren't being adapted like Atlas Shrugged, the Ender series, etc. , but I have to say that I have loved every episode of this series so far. Dual wielding like a boss!

You guys really seem to nitpick on the details. Just relax and enjoy brah. haha

Also, why does everybody expect some long ass fight? I feel like it was the perfect length for what they needed to show. I still really want to know what the drop was. Had to be epic. hahaha

And once you've read a good book, you're always impatient to see the adaptation. Even knowing that you'll still criticize it, even knowing that the adaptation will never measure up to the novels.

That's the nature of it when you pit the original against an imitation, there are always going to be flaws because the original is the set standard.

I know one of the books I've always wanted to see animated was Jane Yolen's Pit Dragon series.

BTW, I think Atlas Shrugged did get a low-budget adaptation. Obviously it didn't do the book justice, but the fact that an effort was made is all you can ask for sometimes.
Sep 1, 2012 5:05 PM

Aug 2012
kamikaze_1996 said:
Jerrychiang said:
kamikaze_1996 said:
Looterz said:
Kvakond said:
One question ruined the end for me.

I was wondering about that too!

don't bother asking, its not even we LN readers know what it specifically dropped, and for some strange reason they hid the reward from our sight in the anime......suspicious <_<

That's because the answer would have blown you away:

LMFAO!! xD he totally deserves it

Yeah, Kirito was like: "I'm taking Asuna out for a day on the beach, but what the hell is this crappy thing? It's not even a sword!"

Sep 1, 2012 5:06 PM
Aug 2012
When he was being woken up... blue hair...

Is anyone else thinking what I am thinking? And if so, HOLY CRAP, that was a smooth foreshadowing.
Sep 1, 2012 5:08 PM

Jul 2010
What's this..

Was he imagining someone else or what? it seems like Sachi because of that mole.
Sep 1, 2012 5:10 PM

Aug 2012
ins-chan said:
OH GOD FOR REAL?!
SERIOUSLY?
you'll make a duel over a girl who's completely capable of choosing whether she wants to be in your guild or not?! that's the greatest amount of sexism I've seen since... whatever.
come on, Asuna, don't be stereotypical anime heroin and do something!

You know: Girls secretly love it when their boyfriends fight over them. It's part of their innate sadistic nature. That's not sexism, that's reality, it's the way they're built, and the sooner the BF realizes that, the less trouble his GF will cause him.
Sep 1, 2012 5:10 PM

Jan 2008
Nyctian said:
What's this..

Was he imagining someone else or what? it seems like Sachi because of that mole.

Pretty sure it's Sachi.
Sep 1, 2012 5:11 PM
Aug 2012
I'm glad the fight wasn't so long. If the fight was any longer, I would start to wonder why asuna and Klein didn't get over their surprised look and actually help kirito who almost died
Sep 1, 2012 5:11 PM

Mar 2012
How should I put it...to those of you who're complaining that Kirito is so overpowered, would you have preferred, say, one of Klein's friends to be the main character?

Of course the main character has to be special in some way, otherwise why would his/her story be worth telling?
Sep 1, 2012 5:12 PM

Jul 2011
ins-chan said:
OH GOD FOR REAL?!
SERIOUSLY?
you'll make a duel over a girl who's completely capable of choosing whether she wants to be in your guild or not?! that's the greatest amount of sexism I've seen since... whatever.

nah, you don't get the point, heathcliff was just finding any old excuse to fight kirito and to get him to join tbh

and kirito was cocky and just wanted to get it over with

also the whole guild relations thing is pretty complicated for reasons stated above, you can't just take leave when your a vice-captain especially when its one of the most important front-line guilds, gender doesn't really matter at all in this case.

i think it might go into more detail about the whole thing in the next episode, it can be confusing when they brought it up in the last 3 min

also asuna is no stereotypical heroine, im reading vol.10 and she is still being a badass
Sep 1, 2012 5:14 PM
Apr 2011
ins-chan said:
OH GOD FOR REAL?!
SERIOUSLY?

It was never about Asuna being female that was the issue, it is that she is a top player and an important part of that guild. A guild dedicated to clearing the game, THE top clearing guild, and Kirito want's to remove her temporarily.

Just imagine it as being a high-end research institute, and a top researcher, vital for the progress of the research, comes along and requests a leave-of-abscence. Naturally, they would be hesitant to grant that, regardless of gender.

Now KoB are not unwilling to grant that leave-of-absence, but the sly Heathcliff saw a chance to use the influence of power of KoB to force Kirito into a duel. Because, sure, Asuna could leave regardless of Heathcliff permission, but not without breaking either the guild rules or by simply leaving the guild - both of these would be detrimental to her; she maybe wouldn't be able to stay on the front lines, maybe people wouldn't want to team with her, maybe not be invited to boss runs, she might get a reputation of traitor and quitter, etc. So yes, Asuna is free to leave, but Heathcliff is in a position to use the power and influence of KoB to make Asuna's life shitty if she doesn't comply.

Remember, this is more than just a game. This is their world. No police rule them, they make up their own laws. It is not a democracy. They have no rights.
Sep 1, 2012 5:18 PM

Mar 2012
Wow. What an annoying guild leader

People should be able to join and leave guilds at will.

Also, the leader better be strong. Leaders should be a ton stronger than his subbordinates but he seems like a weak douche who needs protection
Sep 1, 2012 5:19 PM

Jul 2011
Dessiato said:
When he was being woken up... blue hair...

Is anyone else thinking what I am thinking? And if so, HOLY CRAP, that was a smooth foreshadowing.

im pretty sure its not what your thinking, if what im thinking is what your thinking that it, what is it that your thinking? i was pretty sure it was sachi

Sep 1, 2012 5:19 PM
Aug 2012
Cm
Paul said:
Nyctian said:
What's this..

Pretty sure it's Sachi.

You are better then this, think to farther ahead in the plot... Who else had blue hair...

limpbuttmanSep 1, 2012 5:22 PM
Sep 1, 2012 5:20 PM

Jul 2011
Andyis said:

Also, the leader better be strong. Leaders should be a ton stronger than his subbordinates but he seems like a weak douche who needs protection

derp, derp....must....resist....talking....
Sep 1, 2012 5:21 PM

Dec 2009
Good episode but that's all it is.

Fight scene was very short. And I didn't really enjoy one man defeating the boss.
Sep 1, 2012 5:22 PM

Mar 2012
ins-chan said:
OH GOD FOR REAL?!
SERIOUSLY?

1. They're not fighting over whether Asuna is allowed to quit KoB. Nowhere does she say she wants to leave KoB. It's just that as the guild vice leader, Asuna has a responsibility to show up and participate should the guild request her presence. Now she's only willing to party with Kirito for awhile. Do you expect the guild leader of the most powerful guild in the game to just say "okay sure" and be over with it?
2. There's a reason why Heathcliff wants to duel Kirito. (Slight spoilers)

3. There's also a reason that Kirito accepted so quickly. I don't know whether they'll mention it during the next episode but...(Slight spoilers)
Sep 1, 2012 5:23 PM
Apr 2011
Andyis said:

This is not just a game for them, it is life. It is more along the lines of employment than a guild you join in a game. Leaving them haphazardly would endanger her reputation, might make her unable to join boss fights, etc. etc.

Also don't worry about Heathcliff power. Can't really say much more since I don't know what next episode will reveal, but don't worry in that regard ;)
Sep 1, 2012 5:24 PM

Feb 2012
Best episode yet and personally Kirito with dual swords just took the cake going all out and being as epic as one can be.
Sep 1, 2012 5:26 PM

Jul 2011
Dessiato said:

You are better then this, think to farther ahead in the plot... Who else had blue hair...

naah your mistaken, how could kirito have known about it now?

also
Sep 1, 2012 5:27 PM

Jul 2009
It could be due to the rushed factor, or because one has to wait a week between every episode, but I don't seem to sense the chemistry between Asuna and Kirito being as saturated as it felt in the LN. By the time she death-hugged him, they still felt like strangers to me. Feels awkward man.
Sep 1, 2012 5:29 PM
Jul 2012
Great episode! Nice to see that the plot's progressing at last! It's still moving rather slowly. I'm hoping for at least the
by next episode.
Sep 1, 2012 5:29 PM

Sep 2007
In a game that's based on pure weapons and skills, making dual wielding an exclusive skill only to Kirito? Sounds kind of silly.
Sep 1, 2012 5:30 PM
Apr 2011
Wasabi said:
In a game that's based on pure weapons and skills, making dual wielding an exclusive skill only to Kirito? Sounds kind of silly.

Yes, it is extremely unfair. Why do you think he kept it a secret? Just imagine as if it was any mmo; imagine if only one player out of all rogues in WoW got dual wielding - how would other players regard that player? ;)
Sep 1, 2012 5:31 PM

Mar 2012
iShiney said:
Great episode! Nice to see that the plot's progressing at last! It's still moving rather slowly. I'm hoping for at least the
by next episode.

No way. Too much compression in one episode. Everyone'd rage like hell.

Wasabi said:

Keep watching. It's really not as shallow as many of you make it out to be. Just keep watching.
Sep 1, 2012 5:34 PM

Sep 2007
Mandarni said:
Wasabi said:

Yes, it is extremely unfair. Why do you think he kept it a secret? Just imagine as if it was any mmo; imagine if only one player out of all rogues in WoW got dual wielding - how would other players regard that player? ;)

I understand the need for Kirito's secrecy, but what I'm talking about is that SAO is a game based around weapons, as stated in the first episode, there is no "magic" or "mana" or whatever to speak of. Dual wielding would be a pretty common ability to have then, would it not? Or at the very least able to be acquired at a high level or something.

tezann_t said:

Keep watching. It's really not as shallow as many of you make it out to be. Just keep watching.

Well I would hope the reasoning is good. A game based on weapons without a common ability like dual wielding sounds terrible.
Sep 1, 2012 5:35 PM
Apr 2011
kamikaze_1996 said:
naah your mistaken, how could kirito have known about it now?

Quite true. I suppose a pixie is fluttering in his ear and sprinkling dust in his eyes, I seem to recall a saying somewhere along those lines ^^
Sep 1, 2012 5:35 PM

Dec 2010
Really good episode 5 out of 5, I really enjoyed the fight myself didn't mind a few still shots and didn't really notice the quality drop in parts until people posted screens on here either. I really like how they are showing how some of the side stories affect the main story and they wasn't just completely pointless.

Looking forward to the Duel next week should be a good one
Sep 1, 2012 5:37 PM

Jul 2012
That fight scene was awesome ^_^ great episode. Love Kirito and Asuna together :D How can they blame Kirito for Asuna leaving though? It was her choice, its not like he talked her into it.

If you really want to fit in, just put Legend of the Galactic Heroes in your top 5 and have it be the only 10-rated anime in your list.
Sep 1, 2012 5:38 PM

Sep 2012
Kirito just pwned that boss -solo- and that dude thinks he can beat him in a duel? lol what a joke...

Apr 2012
Finally we get someone interesting appearing. I've been waiting for Klein for ages. Every time I see his gear I just think of Sengoku Basara.

Zerg guild hahaha nice reference.

That punch by Kirito was a dick move though. You never punch a bro over women issues...

Apparently rage can make you solo a high tier boss and survive with just a little HP left. Going a bit too much black swordsman there...Guts is gonna sue.

Kajiura is recycling music again...

All in all, episode wasn't bad. 3/5

Just a question. Do you reach the next floor if you kill the dungeon boss?
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.

Jun 2010
DELiTO said:
Kirito just pwned that boss -solo- and that dude thinks he can beat him in a duel? lol what a joke...

"That dude" isn't just some dude.

Jul 2009
DELiTO said:

Ah but we all know who he is
Sep 1, 2012 5:41 PM

Sep 2007
sbg711 said:
DELiTO said:

I don't know who he is other than the guild leader of Asuna's guild since I don't read the LNs, so people really need to stop throwing out these spoiling hints. I don't need to or want to know that this guy is going to be some super important uber character later on in the show.
Sep 1, 2012 5:42 PM

Jul 2009
Wasabi said:
sbg711 said:
DELiTO said:

I don't know who he is other than the guild leader of Asuna's guild since I don't read the LNs, so people really need to stop throwing out these spoiling hints. I don't need to or want to know that this guy is going to be some super important uber character later on in the show.

No one's talking to you
Sep 1, 2012 5:42 PM

Sep 2012
sbg711 said:
DELiTO said:

Yeah, he is the leader of the best guild in the game but he didn't beat any boss solo :p - Yeah maybe I'm overpowering Kirito here. The truth is: I hope it's a good fight at least (unlike the Kuradeel's)
Sep 1, 2012 5:46 PM
Apr 2011
Wasabi said:
I understand the need for Kirito's secrecy, but what I'm talking about is that SAO is a game based around weapons, as stated in the first episode, there is no "magic" or "mana" or whatever to speak of. Dual wielding would be a pretty common ability to have then, would it not? Or at the very least able to be acquired at a high level or something.

Yes, it is a truly sensible skill to create. But dual wielding is extremely difficult in real life. It is not merely a matter of flailing two swords around. And SAO is quite close to reality in difficulty to perform actions, since they experience it as actually moving their bodies. In kendo, participants are allowed to dual wield, one longer shinai and one shorter, however that is regarded as fairly difficult for obvious reasons - so most participants chose to rather train with one. Also, consider, while it may be easy to activate a weapon skill using only one weapon, doing it with two would be quite a bit more difficult - getting them in the correct position, allowing the system to activate, etc. All during combat. But yes, it would make sense to allow more players to do so, if this was a typical MMO.

But instead they made it a unique skill, or at least a very rare one (can't really say anything definitive at this point, due to possible spoilers). Keep in mind that dual wielding more than double the theoretical offensive and defensive output of a fighter - assuming he can use both proficiently. At least in SAO, not quite the same in kendo. It is thus an extremely powerful but difficult skill. And only given to, as far as we know, one player. Think of it from a game designer perspective.
Sep 1, 2012 5:47 PM

Feb 2012
I'm kinda disappointed...

It wasn't the kind of fight I had in mind...

A-Pictures, What a letdown...
Sep 1, 2012 5:47 PM

Aug 2012
Wasabi said:

DELiTO said:

must...not...spoil...

god its so tempting to spoil people when you know their completely wrong but oh well <_<

BloodRequiem said:
Finally we get someone interesting appearing. I've been waiting for Klein for ages. Every time I see his gear I just think of Sengoku Basara.

That punch by Kirito was a dick move though. You never punch a bro over women issues...

Apparently rage can make you solo a high tier boss and survive with just a little HP left. Going a bit too much black swordsman there...Guts is gonna sue.

troll, you couldn't have made it any more obvious with that last point tbh -___-

all in all the episode was great, there was that inexplicable awesomeness you get from watching the fight instead of reading it, maybe it was the music but i don't care, it was fantastic

i totally look forward yo the next ep, dam these viewers are in for a big surprise xD
Sep 1, 2012 5:48 PM

Apr 2012
AsadaShino said:
BloodRequiem said:

troll, you couldn't have made it any more obvious with that last point tbh -___-

all in all the episode was great, there was that inexplicable awesomeness you get from watching the fight instead of reading it, maybe it was the music but i don't care, it was fantastic

i totally look forward yo the next ep, dam these viewers are in for a big surprise xD

How am I a troll for stating something I noticed?
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Sep 1, 2012 5:48 PM

Jul 2009
DELiTO said:
sbg711 said:
DELiTO said:

Yeah, he is the leader of the best guild in the game but he didn't beat any boss solo :p - Yeah maybe I'm overpowering Kirito here. The truth is: I hope it's a good fight at least (unlike the Kuradeel's)

Sep 1, 2012 5:52 PM

Sep 2012
AsadaShino said:

must...not...spoil...

god its so tempting to spoil people when you know their completely wrong but oh well <_<

I hope I'm completely wrong hahah. But don't spoil please, I'm not clicking on any spoil buttons.
Sep 1, 2012 5:54 PM

Jul 2012
Just gonna do this every week.

Cons: I'm sorry, but that opening scene of them running away and screaming just felt.. pathetic. I get that the boss was scary and a huge shock and all, but really? They couldn't have shown their fear any better? The spinning effect didn't help at all. They're in a a fucking battle zone and they have a lunchtime meal. They have. A casual meal. The animation while they were running towards the big guy screaming at around 10:30 was just terrible. It looked like they were running in place and was just plain distracting. This problem was a bit reoccurring as well. I don't mean to nitpick, but it was just weird imo. The ending of the second half (a bit after 19:00) felt a tad melodramatic. Plus the whole battle over a girl concept which is happening next episode feels pretty cliche, plus its pretty obvious that Kirito will win.

Pros: Stuff actually happened! We get to see Klein again, which was a plus. Just Asuna and Kirito would've felt a bit boring. We also get to see that Sachi's death actually had an impact on Kirito and still effects him, which brings a bit more drive to his character despite how terribly done the episode where that happened in was. The tension was high during the second half, really high. Okay, that battle scene. THAT FUCKING BATTLE SCENE. That was just too amazing. Seeing Asuna and Klein involved in made it much better. The music and animation were topnotch, and Kirito fighting it on its own was intense. I'm glad it was more then just "chop up, defeated!" this time around. The character interactions, while not perfect, were pretty great, especially the developing feelings and relationship between Kirito and Asuna, along with Kirito and other players. Oh, and maybe Liz will have more relevance in the plot besides being part of the harem side stories?

Overall, the beginning felt misplaced and not so well done, the middle and the battle scenes were fucking amazing, but the ending fell short again. Agreed with the person who said that Asuna should just choose on her own.
Sep 1, 2012 5:56 PM
Aug 2012
Wrong predictions!

Wrong predictions everywhere!

MUAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!
Sep 1, 2012 5:56 PM

Oct 2010
next episode will be
Sep 1, 2012 5:58 PM
Apr 2011
DELiTO said:

Kuradeel wasn't even a tenth of Kirito, it was the equivalent of a level 10 WoW fighter challenging a level 80 rogue. Just blink and stab. No chance at all to even get a shot off. Keep in mind that SAO is a nasty combination of players stats and gear but also, very importantly, the skill of the player itself. Having good gear and stats may help tremendously, especially against predictable monsters, but the players ability to dodge and accuracy are also important.

If you have ever played any PvP game, take Counter Strike for example, you know that while a good weapon will help you, there are those players that simply hit you in the head and boom; you are dead. That is also true in PvP in MMO's, there are those players whose skill simply is overpowering, no matter what you do they still finish you off, despite your gear and level being similar. I was fairly good in PvP in WoW but even I sometimes faced those opponents that 9 times of 10 would demolish me, while there were other same gear and level players that wouldn't even touch me.

And SAO is any MMO on crack ;)
Sep 1, 2012 6:01 PM

Feb 2012
I see many wrong predictions :D
Sep 1, 2012 6:01 PM

Feb 2012
I wish they would have added kiriotos hesitation about dueling and, the possibility of him having to join the guild it really added a + to his and, asunas relationship but, it's nothing that big of a deal. There were only really minor things left out from what I saw anyways it was good.
Sep 1, 2012 6:02 PM

Aug 2012
BloodRequiem said:
AsadaShino said:
BloodRequiem said:

How am I a troll for stating something I noticed?

my mistake if your not a trolling then, but seriously i worry for you your intelligence if your not trolling

i mean why would you even ask such a stupid silly question?
BloodRequiem said:

its been shown/mentioned several times, i don't know how you haven't noticed it
Sep 1, 2012 6:02 PM

Sep 2012
Mandarni said:
DELiTO said:

Kuradeel wasn't even a tenth of Kirito, it was the equivalent of a level 10 WoW fighter challenging a level 80 rogue. Just blink and stab. No chance at all to even get a shot off. Keep in mind that SAO is a nasty combination of players stats and gear but also, very importantly, the skill of the player itself. Having good gear and stats may help tremendously, especially against predictable monsters, but the players ability to dodge and accuracy are also important.

If you have ever played any PvP game, take Counter Strike for example, you know that while a good weapon will help you, there are those players that simply hit you in the head and boom; you are dead. That is also true in PvP in MMO's, there are those players whose skill simply is overpowering, no matter what you do they still finish you off, despite your gear and level being similar. I was fairly good in PvP in WoW but even I sometimes faced those opponents that 9 times of 10 would demolish me, while there were other same gear and level players that wouldn't even touch me.

And SAO is any MMO on crack ;)

I play Counter-Strike for 8 years now so what you said makes sense. I just can't see the MC losing this fight though..
Sep 1, 2012 6:05 PM

Mar 2012
DELiTO said:
AsadaShino said:

must...not...spoil...

I hope I'm completely wrong hahah. But don't spoil please, I'm not clicking on any spoil buttons.

If you don't want spoilers, it's best to get off this forum.
Pages (16) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

72 by katnissmaezie »»
Yesterday, 1:05 AM

» What even is SAO anymore? ( 1 2 )

Jason-Skyrunner - Apr 27

53 by soli1239 »»
May 6, 8:27 PM

» We need a reboot

Superninjaboy2 - Mar 15

32 by Jason-Skyrunner »»
May 1, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 8, 2012

480 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2012

680 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 2:32 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.