Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Persona 4
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 28, 2012 12:50 PM

Apr 2008
*my first reaction* What a terrific move Sentai. Please do us all a favor and dig a deep hole and bury yourselves in it.

Sources (linked from Sentai's official shop site):

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/L3FIV7nz-isn8tx5Wf/browse/item/95468/18/0/0

On one hand this naturally pisses me off. I can understand most anime in its original language now and just look up what I don't understand...so to me I don't even care about the subtitles, just the JP language track. I also own a decent number of Japanese titles, but even before the dollar became so weak, titles are already pretty cost-prohibitive. But as an early adopter, I naturally don't want to buy media in an inferior format, and it should basically be accepted that a title at least provide the bare minimum of the original language track.

The argument as to why someone would prefer the English cast over huge names like Horie Yui, Koshimizu Ami, Kugimiya Rie, and Romi Park is reserved for another day. To be fair to Sentai, my best guess is that they caved into pressure from the Japanese company and signed a contract in blood so that there would not be a rush of reverse importing (Japanese importing the NA version) since NA and JP share the same BD region. But to me it doesn't matter, I'm not going to pity Sentai and buy a release I'm not going to want to watch/listen to. BDs are today's top standard and as a result should really have the content that they are worth, even if it means a price premium. Considering the storage capacity of a BD, they could store both language tracks, commentary, et al on the BD with ease but once again I suspect it's due to pressure by the copyright holder.

Also, it seems like my "prediction" from the license announcement topic was correct!

HatenaZubon said:
Ugh Sentai. So we can expect this to be released in 2012 as a thinpack with crappy packaging, an insertable paper sleeve and no extras. Awesome.

Except it's not even a thinpack, just a Blu-Ray case, and NO Japanese language track.
HadenaZubonAug 28, 2012 12:55 PM
Aug 28, 2012 4:47 PM
Jun 2012
The last thing I heard was that Sentai aren't allowed to release P4 on BD with both audio tracks as part of the licensing contract meaning they either had to do what they're doing now which is release a dub-only BD and DVDs with both tracks or not license it at all. The Japanese companies are the ones being stingey not Sentai.
Aug 29, 2012 12:40 AM

Jul 2010
Don't blame Sentai for releasing P4A on BD only in english dub. Aniplex was the one that requested to remove the Japanese audio for the North American release, as you may have know that they fear of reverse importing.
I heard a rumor on the internet that Aniplex of America regretted for not licensing P4A.

I don't even have a blu-ray player.
Aug 29, 2012 4:13 AM
Dec 2007
animelly said:
Don't blame Sentai for releasing P4A on BD only in english dub. Aniplex was the one that requested to remove the Japanese audio for the North American release, as you may have know that they fear of reverse importing.
I heard a rumor on the internet that Aniplex of America regretted for not licensing P4A.

So basically, Aniplex pulled a dick move on Sentai. Good Job Japan, keep being the assholes we love. And this is something I've kind of always thought to myself but, if we, as in non Japanese, can't import some games (like visual novels) without jumping through hoops and basically tricking stores into thinking we're native, why can't they just request the NA suppliers to just prohibit sales to Japanese soil? It can be done, the stores get restrictions of where they can ship which products, and very detailed ones at that. So really, it seems to me like they've been using the "we don't want Japan to reverse import the American version !!!" card too much to either pull this bitchy moves or to just outright charge us the same outrageous prices they charge. And then people wonder why legal anime sinks down the drain.
Leon-GunAug 29, 2012 4:20 AM

Aug 30, 2012 9:14 AM

Apr 2008
Like I said, we can't fully see what's going on behind the scenes, but pressure from Aniplex is at least part of the equation. I mean Sentai isn't scot-free; what powers of negotiation do others companies seem to possess that they don't? However, playing Beelzebub's advocate, some factors to consider:

-P4 anime volumes have held several top 10 DVD and BD slots in Japan
-Cost per volume (being as the yen changes every day this dollar amount doesn't mean anything): about $70-80

Reverse importing could be seen as a threat but...but the sales figures the way they are for Persona already, I don't know what they're trying to protect. You can still import / own a region-free DVD player in Japan, as some of my Japanese friends do... I suppose because it's BD and the costs or something fancy associated with it?

I still feel this could have been handled better. What about 6 individual BD volumes with an artbox, a few English-language extras like a guidebook and a price hike? Actually I'm kidding myself I think... Americans don't spend that kind of money on physical media anymore, and since when has Sentai released an artbox? lol Even if that ended up being a total of like $150 with artbox and some physical extras, people would consider that to be too expensive.

Something about owning a Sentai release just makes me feel dirty too. It feels like even with a Western module for pricing I would rather pay a little more money and get something that feels more like a Christmas present and less like a box of "$5 Cheep DVDs" I pick up off a street vendor in Chinatown.
Sep 5, 2012 2:37 AM

Dec 2011
Madman in Australia, is releasing it on Blu-ray with dub and jap audio, in box-set with 3 vols.
Sep 6, 2012 6:10 AM

Jul 2010
Leon-Gun said:
animelly said:

So basically, Aniplex pulled a dick move on Sentai. Good Job Japan, keep being the assholes we love. And this is something I've kind of always thought to myself but, if we, as in non Japanese, can't import some games (like visual novels) without jumping through hoops and basically tricking stores into thinking we're native, why can't they just request the NA suppliers to just prohibit sales to Japanese soil? It can be done, the stores get restrictions of where they can ship which products, and very detailed ones at that. So really, it seems to me like they've been using the "we don't want Japan to reverse import the American version !!!" card too much to either pull this bitchy moves or to just outright charge us the same outrageous prices they charge. And then people wonder why legal anime sinks down the drain.

I don't wanna state the obvious reason but: North America and Japan share the same Blu-ray region.
I'm guessing this is the one major reason why Aniplex requested the removal of the Japanese audio.
Other countries with different blu-ray region, they should get both audio.
animellySep 6, 2012 6:14 AM
Sep 10, 2012 7:47 PM
Dec 2007
animelly said:
Leon-Gun said:
animelly said:

I don't wanna state the obvious reason but: North America and Japan share the same Blu-ray region.
I'm guessing this is the one major reason why Aniplex requested the removal of the Japanese audio.
Other countries with different blu-ray region, they should get both audio.
Actually, it's not just the obvious, it's the only reason. They either do that or just up the prices... or wait for releases years after the Japanese finished selling. I was talking more on putting restrictions, as in banning their import to Japan by petition of the company itself. VN's do it with America a lot of times and find ways to lock their games too (hence why importers have to jump through hoops to import them in the first place).

Sep 11, 2012 8:01 AM

Oct 2008
It's not like anyones going to pay for something they can get for free...
Sep 11, 2012 12:40 PM
Dec 2007
Arkane said:
It's not like anyones going to pay for something they can get for free...
The attitude that led the anime industry to where it is...

Sep 11, 2012 3:58 PM

Sep 2012
Umm... this is completely Anipex's fault. HatenaZubon, dub companies aren't the cause of every single problem that occurs during the licensing of an anime. There's kind of that other party there. Then again, you seem to have this bizarre hatred towards Sentai to begin with...

Also, the dub of the show is great. So I don't particularly see any reason why I would care, even if I were buying Blu-ray.
Sep 13, 2012 8:19 PM

Oct 2008
Some people find it awkward to be hearing English when the setting is clearly in Japan.

Not having the option to change to a different dub, especially when the Japanese voicing for this is clearly superior... yeah, I'm not buying it. A waste of money.
Sep 21, 2012 7:58 AM

Nov 2008
I like the English VA's, so I would be buy it, if the show was any good.
Sep 29, 2012 5:08 PM
Dec 2007
Messieur_Drake said:
I hear they don't have the original voice actors because of the fact that, you know, they work for a different company.

Oct 1, 2012 5:49 AM

Oct 2011
Leon-Gun said:
Messieur_Drake said:
I hear they don't have the original voice actors because of the fact that, you know, they work for a different company.

they have all the original voice actors from the game excluding Teddie, Chie and Naoto's original VAs. however the voices for Teddie and Chie are the same in the persona 4 fighting game (they are also using those voices for P4G). they even have JYB voicing both Adachi and Yu
Oct 1, 2012 6:12 AM
Dec 2007
finalmessenger said:
Leon-Gun said:
Messieur_Drake said:

they have all the original voice actors from the game excluding Teddie, Chie and Naoto's original VAs. however the voices for Teddie and Chie are the same in the persona 4 fighting game (they are also using those voices for P4G). they even have JYB voicing both Adachi and Yu
So it was a baseless rumor after all. I have to say, I'm impressed they managed it. It's not easy gathering the same english voice ators for a product when it's handled by a different company. Even with games they have problems keeping actors consistent (just see Xenosaga and look at how many actors changed during the course of three separate games).

Dec 27, 2012 7:08 AM
Jul 2012
The dub is actually very impressive. I'd say I like it as much as the original

More topics from this board

Poll: » Persona 4 The Animation Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jan 5, 2012

105 by zodismegalame »»
Jan 27, 1:44 PM

Poll: » Persona 4 The Animation Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Feb 9, 2012

72 by NN010 »»
Nov 18, 2023 6:49 PM

Poll: » Persona 4 The Animation Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jan 12, 2012

112 by NN010 »»
Nov 11, 2023 6:51 PM

Poll: » Persona 4 The Animation Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Oct 27, 2011

120 by Delphantasist »»
Nov 3, 2023 9:05 PM

Poll: » Persona 4 The Animation Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Dr_Funkadelic - Mar 30, 2012

186 by DarkCanuck »»
Sep 22, 2023 8:01 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.