Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Aug 25, 2012 3:38 PM
Oct 2011
To the people who were complaining and outright RAGIN' on the fanservice, calm yo tits man.
It's just fanservice. Love it or hate it, it's going to be there whether you like it or not.
<!--link--><a href="http://myanimelist.net/animelist/darkdoll25&sclick=1">
Aug 25, 2012 3:40 PM

Feb 2012
It's was overall pretty good. I don't think that little boob part was needed but, I don't think it hurt it at all. It was funny to watch and, lightened it up before the tense moment which isn't a bad thing to the least.

Also was it just me or did the duel never say congrats to the winner? It looked like the duel was left open.
Aug 25, 2012 3:41 PM
May 2010
this episode is perfect!, they actually saved this for the main story.
we can actually see "sword skills" , there was next to no sword art except ep2
the title is "sword art" online afterall.
great!
Aug 25, 2012 3:42 PM

Jul 2011
hmmm? thats weird, i would of guessed that this whole thread would of been filled with a huge amount of users going on and seriously hating the service considering in episode 5 people were complaining so strongly about a 3 second ass shot, im just glad that it wasn't as awful as the ott fanservice done on scilica and at least this fanservice scene was in the LN
Aug 25, 2012 3:43 PM

Jan 2008
dragonair15 said:

Remember this quote. Drill it into your head. Take a sharpie and write it on your hand. Just don't forget it.
Aug 25, 2012 3:46 PM
May 2010
Paul said:
dragonair15 said:

Remember this quote. Drill it into your head. Take a sharpie and write it on your hand. Just don't forget it.

i have been very disappointed since the only sword skill i saw was vertical slash
now is horizontal slash, kirito's favourite move
Aug 25, 2012 3:47 PM

Jul 2011
BloodRequiem said:
Wait...so when the main story starts they are in floor 74 already?

simple answer:yes

complex: it started in the starting city (ep.1) and did a timeskip, the mainstory then started in 74th and they did several sidestories that happened in the past which filled in some of the gaps which were (2-7) this is the only episode after ep1 that is part of vol.1
Aug 25, 2012 3:49 PM

Feb 2012
dragonair15 said:
Paul said:
dragonair15 said:

i have been very disappointed since the only sword skill i saw was vertical slash

You'll be even more disappointed later then, the ln never really focused on skills in the game there are some but, they don't over do them. I'm guessing it was only called "Sword Art Online" because the games name is Sword Art Online not because the game has amazing Sword Art and, happened to be about a online game.
Aug 25, 2012 3:51 PM

Mar 2012
Finally, the main plot!

Yes, to all of you who're incredulous that this was the way the LN went, it basically went from ep. 1 to ep. 8. Ep. 2-7, as repeatedly emphasized, are side stories later squeezed in for chronological purposes. (Now do you see why it might've been really weird if the anime also jumped 2 years like the LN did?)

Anyway, I'm just in love with this episode. Random boob-squeeze fan service aside, it did a lot of things in one go almost without any major flaw.
1) Staying true to basically everything the LN had done
2) Improvising and fixing a couple of lines here and there
3) Easing in the relationship development
4) Some much needed battle sequences
5) Nice foreshadowing (not spoiling though)

The only complaint I would have is the Kuradeel fight. The anime really could've slided in 5-10 seconds of inner monologue where Kirito predicts what Kuradeel was gonna do. The way it turned out was okay, but somewhat anticlimactic. I expected more out of that fight than what this episode gave me.

Meh, Kuradeel is just a super typical bitter loser. Already felt this way when I read the LN and in anime it just seems more obvious.

Onto the next episode, where Kirito kicks some more ass.
Aug 25, 2012 3:56 PM
May 2010
MidnightPride said:
dragonair15 said:
Paul said:
dragonair15 said:

You'll be even more disappointed later then, the ln never really focused on skills in the game there are some but, they don't over do them. I'm guessing it was only called "Sword Art Online" because the games name is Sword Art Online not because the game has amazing Sword Art and, happened to be about a online game.

the light novel explains sword arts in decent details, u sure u didnt skip anything?
Aug 25, 2012 3:58 PM

Feb 2012
tezann_t said:
Finally, the main plot!

Yes, to all of you who're incredulous that this was the way the LN went, it basically went from ep. 1 to ep. 8. Ep. 2-7, as repeatedly emphasized, are side stories later squeezed in for chronological purposes. (Now do you see why it might've been really weird if the anime also jumped 2 years like the LN did?)

Anyway, I'm just in love with this episode. Random boob-squeeze fan service aside, it did a lot of things in one go almost without any major flaw.

The only complaint I would have is the Kuradeel fight. The anime really could've slided in 5-10 seconds of inner monologue where Kirito predicts what Kuradeel was gonna do. The way it turned out was okay, but somewhat anticlimactic. I expected more out of that fight than what this episode gave me.

Meh, Kuradeel is just a super typical bitter loser. Already felt this way when I read the LN and in anime it just seems more obvious.

The boob part

Straight from the LN

They didn't include kuradeel saying he was going to kill kirito which is important >.>

They also completely skipped the part about The Amy so before saying they stuck true i would suggest reviewing the light novel once again.

Oct 2011
Random fanservice caught me off guard. I know it was in light novels, but it was just way more random/funnier in the anime.
The duel was pretty awesome too, though a bit short-lived. Oh well, at least the duel wasn't still-shots like the other episode.
This ep actually adapted the light novels pretty well.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Aug 2012
Fan service like we had in this episode was fine and worked well imo. I don't understand the hate towards it. For me, all it did was lighten to mood and was just kind of silly.
Aug 25, 2012 3:59 PM

Feb 2012
dragonair15 said:
MidnightPride said:
dragonair15 said:
Paul said:
dragonair15 said:

the light novel explains sword arts in decent details, u sure u didnt skip anything?

I'm positive I didn't skip anything. I don't consider a "basic description" of a skill explaining it. We might just have different critiques on that then.
Aug 2012
tezann_t said:

Yes agreed but one major thing I noticed that wasn't there... The Army

Well anyways with that gone I have hopes that there will be some needed original content.
Idle_ObserverAug 25, 2012 4:15 PM

Mar 2012
SnowLife said:
Nearly 2 years has passed since the death game started? WFT are they time traveling or what? are they going to by in there late 90s when they beat the game?

Well, it is 100 levels and each level as they progress becomes more and more difficult to beat. Not to mention the boss fights which take intense coordination so that no casualty will result (alluded to earlier in the series). When your life is at stake you tend to want to calm down and think things through instead of charging into the next room.
Aug 25, 2012 4:07 PM

Jun 2012
Yes, no more side stories! The actual plot is finally picking up.

I enjoyed all the Kirito x Asuna moments. Hopefully, we'll see plenty more in the future. The duel was definitely a step up from the dragon fight last week. Kuradeel got owned hard; it's obvious he'll be coming back with a vengeance.
Aug 25, 2012 4:10 PM

Mar 2012
MidnightPride said:
The boob part

Straight from the LN

They didn't include kuradeel saying he was going to kill kirito which is important >.>

They also completely skipped the part about The Amy so before saying they stuck true i would suggest reviewing the light novel once again.

You're mistaken. I know that the random boob-grab is from the LN. But random boob-grab is random boob-grab. There are countless ways to bump into someone after all.

Note that I qualified my statements a couple of times as well.
"it did a lot of things in one go almost without any major flaw."
"1) Staying true to basically everything the LN had done"

To be honest, I don't think anime adaptations should stick to the original material 100%. There has to be room for modification, otherwise it wouldn't be called an adaptation. Good for you that you know the LN line by line though. Not trying to flame you or anything, but I certainly hope that air of superiority sinks in as you go around suggesting to people that they should "review the LN once again."
Aug 25, 2012 4:17 PM

Jul 2012
Finaly some story! :D

This is an anime i rly hate to watch air... I would love to just marathon this cus i hate waiting for new episodes when it's an anime i love XD
O'Hai :D
Aug 25, 2012 4:20 PM
Nov 2011
It looks like there will be less skipping ahead in time now, I'm glad.
Aug 25, 2012 4:23 PM

Jan 2012
Yumekichi11 said:

BOOM! SWORD BREAK! Quite impressed but still WTF at how come Kirito’s sword is like a Katana slicing through all of the other swords. Makes no sense at all TBH. It’s like making Kirito into Superman Samurai man.

in the LN the reason Kirito was able to break Kuradeels sword was because Kuradeels sword was decorated and in SAO, swords that are decorated have low durability. Kirito just hit the sword in the right spot and its durability went down to 0 just like how he broke Liz's sword
Aug 25, 2012 4:23 PM

Mar 2011
Great episode, SAO is finally back into its A game
Loves Asuna Kirito moments, they are perfect couple :)
Kirito skill is impressive and Elucidator is really strong. The laughing coffin guy, What will they do?
The animation is better than the side stories and I miss that Yuki Kajiura OST
Next episode, I'm hoping for an awesome boss fight
Faith restored
Aug 25, 2012 4:25 PM

Dec 2009
So. All it took for this show to get interesting again was to leave Side Arc Online and reach Main Arc Online.

Look at that, it's amazing. We should've skipped the side stories all along.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Aug 25, 2012 4:30 PM

Jan 2011
Still not impressed. So far it remanins an overhyped average anime. Lets hope its steps up from now on....
So far the music and the VA are saving it, at least for me.
Aug 25, 2012 4:31 PM

Jan 2008
Marow said:
So. All it took for this show to get interesting again was to leave Side Arc Online and reach Main Arc Online.

Agreed. All the side stories were a waste and could have probably been thrown in as minor flashbacks. Only good thing they've been so far were as .gif material.
Aug 25, 2012 4:35 PM

Sep 2008
Great episode....can't wait till next week now(specially knowing what's to come). As for comments about side arcs; I believe they what make the series more interesting. I'd rather see few side stories then just watch Kirito and the rest clear each floor in every episode. I believe there's still a few side stories to come before we see the end of SAO.
Aug 25, 2012 4:38 PM

Dec 2010
NNick said:
What a piece of junk.
Skipped 1/2 of the whole episode, no, even more.
One more, if it's bad, i'll drop it. Seriously. This is first time i'm sayin this.

^lol
Aug 25, 2012 4:40 PM

Jan 2008
Scrypt said:
Great episode....can't wait till next week now(specially knowing what's to come). As for comments about side arcs; I believe they what make the series more interesting. I'd rather see few side stories then just watch Kirito and the rest clear each floor in every episode. I believe there's still a few side stories to come before we see the end of SAO.

I swear there's enough side stories for the anime to be 25 episodes just for 'Sword Art Online'.

Coldbid said:
NNick said:
What a piece of junk.
One more, if it's bad, i'll drop it. Seriously. This is first time i'm sayin this.

^lol

NNick's just being NNick. He loves the series.
Aug 25, 2012 4:45 PM

Mar 2011
Paul said:
Scrypt said:

I swear there's enough side stories for the anime to be 25 episodes just for 'Sword Art Online'.

Coldbid said:
NNick said:
What a piece of junk.

^lol

I'm sure if the virtual NNick drop the series, the real NNick will not ^_^
Aug 25, 2012 4:47 PM

Jul 2009
Paul said:
Marow said:

Agreed. All the side stories were a waste and could have probably been thrown in as minor flashbacks. Only good thing they've been so far were as .gif material.

The side stories were necessary to prolong Kirito's 'SAO-life' experience, so to not make it look like yesterday the game started, and today he's already about to get married. There's no fun in that, no anticipation, and nearly no development between him and Asuna. Novels and film/animated adaptations are always different in a way that they feel much shorter due to having to skip the elaborate descriptions of the hero's surroundings, feelings and thoughts.
Let's just say the side stories worked as a buffer for the story's progression, and above all were quite enjoyable. Since I didn't read the side stories, the past few episodes revealed a new side to Asuna's character that I was never aware of.
Aug 25, 2012 4:52 PM
Feb 2012
Vizi_Reality said:
Paul said:
Scrypt said:

Coldbid said:
NNick said:
What a piece of junk.

^lol

I'm sure if the virtual NNick drop the series, the real NNick will not ^_^

No. I don't know what i was hoping for, but these series are just bad.
Aug 25, 2012 4:52 PM

Jun 2012
decent
i liked it more than the sidestories
~"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands." (Pirsig)

Aug 25, 2012 4:53 PM

Feb 2011
Idle_Observer said:
tezann_t said:

Well anyways with that gone I have hopes that there will be some needed original content.

The army doesn't show up until after they open the door. and without knowing how to do spoilers that is all I can say is that you're wrong.
Aug 25, 2012 4:53 PM

Jun 2010
WHAT SHOULD I SAY?

THIS WAS A FUCKING GREAT EPISODE. Can't believe they could pull off an episode like this after those successive failures.

SERIOUSLY. HOLY MOTHER CRAP WHY THEY DIDN'T PUT THIS AS THE SECOND EPISODE? IF THEY DID, EVERYONE WOULD SHOUT "ALL HAIL SAO". I believe it will not be labeled as overrated if they just went and did this episode earlier.

I can't describe how nearly perfect this episode is. Im not saying they put all the details in the LN but....Seriously, why not make a 25 episodes of only SAO with non-chronological order if you can make an episode like this? I know its kinda boring if you animate the side-stories consecutively. Then why not 13 episodes or something of just volume 1 then season 2 full of side stories? I think that will be great.

tl;dr Im not ranting because this episode was bad, Im ranting because this episode was too good unlike the previous ones. Asuna ftw.

tezann_t said:

^So true. +1
Aug 25, 2012 4:54 PM

Jul 2009
I am now a fan of Asuna. Hurrah!
Aug 25, 2012 4:58 PM
May 2010
Coldbid said:
NNick said:
What a piece of junk.

^lol

T-Tsundere?
Aug 25, 2012 5:01 PM

Feb 2011
dragonair15 said:
Coldbid said:
NNick said:
What a piece of junk.

^lol

T-Tsundere?

That just might be the case. "I hate you! *pause the blush* but since I started this anime I might as well finish watching it" Anime Tsundere
Aug 25, 2012 5:01 PM
Aug 2012
dim100 said:
The army doesn't show up until after they open the door. and without knowing how to do spoilers that is all I can say is that you're wrong.

What are you talking about? The name alone can't possibly be a spoiler. Also no, they show up before they even enter the dungeon...
Aug 25, 2012 5:02 PM

Feb 2012
dim100 said:
Idle_Observer said:
tezann_t said:

Nope I just read over the LN to double check the army is before they get to the boss room it takes place when they are in the forest.
Aug 25, 2012 5:03 PM

Mar 2009
AlexGK said:
Still not impressed. So far it remanins an overhyped average anime. Lets hope its steps up from now on....

this so much
Aug 25, 2012 5:11 PM

Feb 2011
While all of you are complaining about the little details, did anyone see PoH in the audience during the duel?
If you don't know who he is he's the baddie from Laughing Coffin
Aug 25, 2012 5:12 PM
Aug 2012
I love how the show is going back to it's roots with the whole "should I stay or should I go" mentality.

The world provides you with a better reality, worse in some, and people are becoming accustomed.

I like this.
Aug 25, 2012 5:13 PM

Jan 2009
dang that episode was great the action was very well done, i love quality animation like that
Aug 25, 2012 5:14 PM

Jun 2009
The boobgrabbing tho.
Aug 25, 2012 5:15 PM

Jan 2008
tohzuki said:
The boobgrabbing tho.

I'm gonna start posting this gif everytime it's mentioned as long as I'm online. :D

Aug 25, 2012 5:15 PM

Feb 2011
MidnightPride said:
dim100 said:
Idle_Observer said:
tezann_t said:

Nope I just read over the LN to double check the army is before they get to the boss room it takes place when they are in the forest.

Oh yeah but only in passing so not that important they can still make their appearance without trouble in the next episode.
Aug 25, 2012 5:20 PM

Mar 2012
For those of you who don't read the LN, here's a spoiler-free description of the Army since so many people have referred to it: it's a large (the largest, iirc) organization primarily based on the first floor of Aincrad. It got its name from, NOT SURPRISINGLY, the way it is structured. People have ranks just like in a real army.

I know. What a bunch of freakin' nerds.

Army members could've shown up in this episode, but there are plenty of chances where they can be introduced so I'm not sure what the big deal is.

And for those who don't like this episode that much, well, now's the time to drop. The main plot is here and if you don't like it, why stay?
zannettAug 25, 2012 5:36 PM
Aug 25, 2012 5:28 PM

Mar 2012
I just wonder if ever they do beat the game, what will happen to them once they're thrown back into the real world? If that happens. But that's a long way from now, it looks like.

Also, boobgrab /testing Paul
Aug 25, 2012 5:28 PM

Jan 2008
TravSavage said:
I just wonder if ever they do beat the game, what will happen to them once they're thrown back into the real world? If that happens. But that's a long way from now, it looks like.

Also, boobgrab /testing Paul

:D

and no I'm not spamming refresh, I just happen to be here at the right time.
Aug 25, 2012 5:33 PM

Mar 2012
TravSavage said:

Well, they've lost at least two years of their lives. The government has been keeping their bodies safe for the time being, so all they've gotta do is get used to real life again. This is as simple as an answer I can give you I guess, but there really isn't much to it.
Pages (11) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

72 by katnissmaezie »»
May 16, 1:05 AM

» What even is SAO anymore? ( 1 2 )

Jason-Skyrunner - Apr 27

53 by soli1239 »»
May 6, 8:27 PM

» We need a reboot

Superninjaboy2 - Mar 15

32 by Jason-Skyrunner »»
May 1, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 8, 2012

480 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2012

680 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 2:32 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.