Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (16) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Aug 18, 2012 8:53 PM

Feb 2012
PhantomEX said:
Question!
How much relevance to these side stories have to the main story?

They are not neccesarily needed...in fact, these side stories was in volume 2.
They just explain the main story further.
Aug 18, 2012 8:56 PM

Nov 2011
Its getting better and better. It didnt felt rushed much now. Now, who in here are still going to call it overrated?
Aug 18, 2012 8:57 PM

Jul 2011
Vforvendetta said:
@kamikaze: dude its not about spoilers that I complained when showing you the picture, but it's about your double post covered most of my laptop screen.

And for those who like to spoil, I'm not saying anything else, as a novel reader, I only explain things up to the current episode, or unclear thing which wasn't mentioned in the anime.

@Jerrychiang: it's Sinon in vol 5,6 GGO
http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=File:Sword_Art_Online_Vol_06_-001.jpeg
http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=File:Sword_Art_Online_Vol_05_-001.jpeg

P/s: I did ignore your posts, its just that I have to scroll down more cause your posts seem to appear in every pages.

seriously? your butthurt about one double post by me just because you have to scroll down more? XDD

sorry but i don't think you have the right to tell me to stop posting, its a free discussion anyone can post freely as much as they want, calling 2 consecutive posts about two different things spamming is ridiculous especially when i didn't do it intentionally and it harms no one

seriously? your annoyed that you have to scroll more?
Aug 18, 2012 9:00 PM

Nov 2009
Nah no offense, don't mind me, I'm not telling you to stop posting, but I advise you to use the edit button and focus on how to write meaningful comment in 1post. Not just 1 point on this post, and the other point on a different post. That's it ^^

Look at those example I've posted while ago, you could easily combine those 2 sentences in 1 post to make it even shorter.
Takana_no_HanaAug 18, 2012 9:04 PM
Aug 18, 2012 9:02 PM

Jun 2011
HauntingShock said:
Kissed said:
Spends one night with a guy on a game. Confess your love next day. Girls these days...

I know what you mean... but it wasn't really supposed to be so quick like that...

The anime adaptation is the one to be blamed...

What ? It's one night in the LN, one night in the Anime… It doesn't change shit. It's not because it take us 2 hours to read this, when in the anime it take 15 minutes, that it changes something. It's just wrong in the first place.

One of the most boring side-story… Now on to the main story, weeeeeeeeee.
CrowsuAug 18, 2012 9:28 PM
Aug 18, 2012 9:05 PM
Apr 2011
HauntingShock said:
PhantomEX said:
Question!

Yeah. They pretty much add onto the world SAO developed in Volume 1 and tell details about the Kirito's life in SAO before the Volume 1 events.

On another note, Volume 1 is finally coming! For once, I am actually happy about the fast pacing of the side stories.

By the looks of it, Kirito will be giving that sword to Asuna....cause it looks the same as the one at the end of the opening...how sweet of him.

Actually, Kirito doesn't give it to her. They just look similar.
Aug 18, 2012 9:08 PM
Apr 2011
Veronin said:
This was awful. The way they go from strangers to holding hands and confessing their love only 10 minutes in was ridiculous. It makes no sense and there's no room or reason for the viewer to give a crap about the girl and her feelings, and it's just as much a fault of the writer for trying to exploit the audience into feeling cheap emotions just because the girl cries with dramatic music playing. These romantic scenes were downright awful and all the cliched dialogue felt like something stolen directly from other shows. Heck, I predicted the confession while they were falling together before it even happened. Using the 'stuck in a cave and falling in love' cliche was bad enough as it is but they really just threw in every convention they possibly could since it seems the writer lacks the ability to do something even marginally interesting or unique. If you can't write, just steal from other anime, I suppose. It's a flawless plan.

And, sadly, Kajiura's talent went to waste here with the horrible application of the tracks. All it achieved in doing was making each scene overdramatic and needlessly campy.

Didn't make much sense how Kirito survived after falling from that height either when he lost half health from a much smaller fall earlier. Also, it's very convenient how they somehow couldn't teleport outside of the cave when it works everywhere else in the game world. Kirito also completely changed his goals yet again at the ending just so he could appear romantic for the nth addition to his worthless harem. Funny too, how Lisbeth completely gives up on her love right after seeing Asuna and Kirito interact for a short moment, despite everything she was feeling towards Kirito previously.

I guess this episode was good as a comedy, if nothing else.

I'll field this one.

(1) She spent around a day with him. Not much better, to be sure, but makes it a bit easier to swallow than 10 minutes. I'm sure taking a chance on saving her life helped change her opinion about him.

(2) I'm not sure what you're referring to about the much smaller fall earlier, but I'd say he survived this one because he was so much higher level than before (I don't recall another fall that he barely survived, so maybe my timeline is wrong)

(3) As foreshadowed in Episode 3, there are areas where teleport crystals do not work. The dragon pit was one of them.

(4) Liz and Asuna have been friends in game for an undisclosed amount of time. She knows Asuna far better than Kirito, and her seeing the interactions between Asuna and Kirito allow her to figure out Kirito is the guy Asuna likes. Thus, she decides to suppress her own feelings out of respect for Asuna.

Maybe my explanations aren't what you were looking for and you just wanted to hate on the anime. In that case, ignore what I've said and continue hating ;p
Aug 18, 2012 9:08 PM

Apr 2012
Iniser said:
HauntingShock said:
PhantomEX said:
Question!

Yeah. They pretty much add onto the world SAO developed in Volume 1 and tell details about the Kirito's life in SAO before the Volume 1 events.

On another note, Volume 1 is finally coming! For once, I am actually happy about the fast pacing of the side stories.

By the looks of it, Kirito will be giving that sword to Asuna....cause it looks the same as the one at the end of the opening...how sweet of him.

Actually, Kirito doesn't give it to her. They just look similar.

Except if it's not done well it will just come off as an asspull.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Aug 18, 2012 9:13 PM

Mar 2012
Veronin said:

[Deleted to save space]

If it helps at all, I've tried my best to justify the romance in this episode (p.7 of this thread):
I think the author in the LN tried to make an implicit play at the suspension bridge effect. Basically, when you're emotionally aroused you may falsely attribute that arousal to feelings of affection toward someone in your proximity. The anime didn't do a great job at this (when they fell, I'm sure they could've spent 30 more seconds creating that scene where Kirito used sword skills to break the fall), but I think it makes sense. You have this guy who absolutely pisses you off, you go on a singular quest with him to find a mystery ingredient, he's a total badass in battle, and he just saved your life risking his own. He's kind of weird, but you've never met someone like this. These are all things we don't necessarily think about when the episode went through, but in real life, crushes have happened for less.

The reason they didn't die/lose more of their hp, as mentioned in the parentheses above, is because Kirito indeed broke their fall multiple times before they fell to the bottom. It's a shame they didn't animate this, but oh well.

Also, the "non-teleportation area" mechanic is very important. It may seem like a setting of convenience for the moment because it's only introduced right now, but it definitely is not something they threw in for fun. Areas like these exist in SAO, which is why Kirito wasn't surprised.

Lastly, I feel like they didn't do a terrible job at this, and the point about Lizbeth holding back is that she and Asuna are very close friends. Asuna brought it up when questioning Kirito in the shop, "Did you do anything to my good friend?" It's quite natural for people to keep quiet when they run into a scenario like that. Especially when Lizbeth knows that Asuna has liked Kirito for some time and that Asuna doesn't have many people to depend on.

---

Oops. Looks like Vhaeraun beat me to it. I took some time to write this for sure...
Aug 18, 2012 9:15 PM

Nov 2009
Didn't make much sense how Kirito survived after falling from that height either when he lost half health from a much smaller fall earlier

In the novel Kirito used his sword to stab into the ice wall nearby when falling down while holding Lizbeth, which would reduce the fallin' speed but it wasn't showed on the anime, it's just a black-cut-scene.

Yeah the first 10 minute weren't enough(they cut some minor details to fit the length, such as" mission starter quest" when Kirito and Lizbeth had to listen to an old man geezer for half a day just to begin the quest, or the sight seeing part, not went straight to the dragon like the anime showed ), it's kinda rushed.

But oh well, can't blame the producer cause overall this episode is quite good in comparison to other ep so far.
Takana_no_HanaAug 18, 2012 9:19 PM
Aug 18, 2012 9:19 PM

Dec 2010
It's amazing how people always always find something to complain about....this episode was almost perfect in terms of being faithful, I mean seriously to those who read the novel like I did, did they really cut out all that much? It had a great flow and covered the main points well, anyone who expects perfect adaptions which cover every detail need to come back to reality, as someone who enjoys reading novels In general, this was a solid adaption.

Also to all you people who keep saying its overrated, even making forums about it, ever consider that shows u consider favs may be considered overrated as well? I mean seriously why even make such posts, there are only negative intentions in them.

Well next episode starts the main story, and considering how ALO is structured in a "straight line" there shouldn't be anymore people complaining about it feeling all over the place, I mean seriously tho people seem to forget that this series isn't even a third done yet.....
Aug 18, 2012 9:20 PM
Oct 2008
SephiriAzure said:

umm no asuna is based highly on agi/dex etc she won't even able to even wield that sword lol and her rapier is already a high level weapon so why would Kirito even risk his life to get materials to craft a sword for Asuna? theres a reason why he wants a sword that is somewhat heavy to the current one his using well you'll see soon. If you played MMORPG you would usually carry an extra weapon that has similar stats to your equipped one for one may run out of durability etc. Also the sword at the end of the OP was the current Asuna rapier that Liz was polishing up Kirito swords are heavily based on str/agi I believe which Liz had stats based on felt the sword was heavy so giving that sword to Asuna is out of question :P
MrChuAug 18, 2012 9:29 PM
Aug 18, 2012 9:26 PM

Nov 2008
FINALLY a truly well done side story - hope they make Yui's side story a well done one also - so finally on to the main story? then back to some side story and then unto the end of volume 1.. Should be fun ^-^
Aug 18, 2012 9:29 PM

Nov 2007
Yeah a bit too much tsundere especially at first. I mean I don't know if she realized it but Asuna and Kirito aren't exactly together. She didn't have to give up so fast. Oh well. It got awkward once Asuna got back.

The convenient he didn't hear the confession scene was kinda played out as well. That happens way too much.

Still he runs into way too many cute girls. This is supposed to be a MMO game. This many cute girls just is very very unlikely.
Aug 18, 2012 9:35 PM

Jul 2011
tezann_t said:
Veronin said:

[Deleted to save space]

If it helps at all, I've tried my best to justify the romance in this episode (p.7 of this thread):
I think the author in the LN tried to make an implicit play at the suspension bridge effect. Basically, when you're emotionally aroused you may falsely attribute that arousal to feelings of affection toward someone in your proximity. The anime didn't do a great job at this (when they fell, I'm sure they could've spent 30 more seconds creating that scene where Kirito used sword skills to break the fall), but I think it makes sense. You have this guy who absolutely pisses you off, you go on a singular quest with him to find a mystery ingredient, he's a total badass in battle, and he just saved your life risking his own. He's kind of weird, but you've never met someone like this. These are all things we don't necessarily think about when the episode went through, but in real life, crushes have happened for less.

The reason they didn't die/lose more of their hp, as mentioned in the parentheses above, is because Kirito indeed broke their fall multiple times before they fell to the bottom. It's a shame they didn't animate this, but oh well.

Also, the "non-teleportation area" mechanic is very important. It may seem like a setting of convenience for the moment because it's only introduced right now, but it definitely is not something they threw in for fun. Areas like these exist in SAO, which is why Kirito wasn't surprised.

Lastly, I feel like they didn't do a terrible job at this, and the point about Lizbeth holding back is that she and Asuna are very close friends. Asuna brought it up when questioning Kirito in the shop, "Did you do anything to my good friend?" It's quite natural for people to keep quiet when they run into a scenario like that. Especially when Lizbeth knows that Asuna has liked Kirito for some time and that Asuna doesn't have many people to depend on.

---

Oops. Looks like Vhaeraun beat me to it. I took some time to write this for sure...

i honestly don't see a problem with how they did the romance, she never fell madly in love with him, it was a simple crush, she simply liked him for showing her that this virtual realm can be as real as reality, showing her the beautiful part of SAO, always being considerate of her and how he values his comrades life very much and won't let anyone die in front of him again ,

he taught her that everything you feel inside the virtual world is real and isn't fake and your feelings are real (the warmth is real), especially when they showed that picture of her and some NPC's (not from the LN) it kind of tells us that liz was close to the NPC's in SAO but wasn't sure if their relationship/feelings were real or not as they are just virtual pixels
Aug 18, 2012 9:38 PM

Apr 2012
I liked This Episode but is bit Rushed :(

Aug 18, 2012 9:38 PM
Oct 2008
mystik said:
Yeah a bit too much tsundere especially at first. I mean I don't know if she realized it but Asuna and Kirito aren't exactly together. She didn't have to give up so fast. Oh well. It got awkward once Asuna got back.

The convenient he didn't hear the confession scene was kinda played out as well. That happens way too much.

Still he runs into way too many cute girls. This is supposed to be a MMO game. This many cute girls just is very very unlikely.

Asuna/Liz/Silica is many? lol out of 10k ppl in the game with 6k remaining he meet 3 cute girls is quite normal to me in an MMO and it's anime most girls are cute anyways lol
MrChuAug 18, 2012 9:41 PM
Aug 18, 2012 9:40 PM

Sep 2011
Best episode so far in terms of adaptation it follow it almost perfect.

Watching Lis animated warms my hearth and must said really enjoy this episode,Kirito fighting the dragon was great,He saving her life was also good,the scene when they grab hands was cute,and finally Lis confession midair was funny,so probably best episode so far at least for me.

I still feel sorry for Lis but at the end Kirito only has eyes for one.........

Well next episode we start the main plot and by the name of the title looks that will see one of the most badasses scene of Kirito in Aincrad!!!

BTW Lis to cute!!!

More GIF's on the club!!http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=479309&show=0#post1
Aug 18, 2012 9:55 PM

Aug 2011
This episode was comparatively good, and followed the story quite closely.

The only thing missing was
and instead was replaced by him only swinging one sword.

Lizbeth you dumb b*tch Kirito told you to hide and you still came out.
Aug 18, 2012 9:56 PM

Jul 2011
am i the only one who thinks kirito with pure black clothes with a black sword is so much better?

that gif just emphasises how badass he looks in pure black
Aug 18, 2012 10:01 PM

Aug 2012
kamikaze_1996 said:
am i the only one who thinks kirito with pure black clothes with a black sword is so much better?

Screw that, he's like Roger Smith in Black O; lousy taste in fashion.

But it's appropriately bad taste in Kirito's case, and besides: his dour clothes help to frame Asuna's good looks as a frame does with a pretty picture.

Aug 18, 2012 10:04 PM

Mar 2012
kamikaze_1996 said:

i honestly don't see a problem with how they did the romance, she never fell madly in love with him, it was a simple crush, she simply liked him for showing her that this virtual realm can be as real as reality, showing her the beautiful part of SAO, always being considerate of her and how he values his comrades life very much and won't let anyone die in front of him again ,

he taught her that everything you feel inside the virtual world is real and isn't fake and your feelings are real (the warmth is real), especially when they showed that picture of her and some NPC's (not from the LN) it kind of tells us that liz was close to the NPC's in SAO but wasn't sure if their relationship/feelings were real or not as they are just virtual pixels

I can see why people didn't like it because the anime doesn't spell things out. And just to be fair, there are some nuances the anime failed to capture (such as how Lizbeth was touched by Kirito's words).

AcezHarfianz said:

I beg to differ. You can't possibly throw this into two episodes without substantial BS fillers. Lizbeth was never supposed to be a major character.
Aug 18, 2012 10:05 PM

Jul 2012
This show would be so much better if it was realistic. One, I wish, wish, wish, wish the characters were adults, not kids. Two, It's just impossible and totally unrealistic to meet someone and fall in love with in just one day/episode.
Aug 18, 2012 10:05 PM
Aug 2012
I just realized it looking at both the swords, but the new one was weaker >_>
Aug 18, 2012 10:10 PM

Jan 2011
Loved this episode. Lizbeth the blacksmith, lovable character. I liked how she was judging Kirito from the start and when he destroyed Lizbeth's best weapon she got so pissed lmao. Kirito's too OP, I swear. xD

The CG Dragon looked pretty good. Kirito was kicking its ass so easily but Liz had to come out and made things even harder. At least that got to a Kirito X Lizbeth moment. Loved that scene, especially with the 'hold my hand' part. I found it hilarious how the Crystallite Ingot is actually the Dragon's poop. xD That song that played when the Dragon returned to his lair was so damn good, got me so hyped. Liz saying 'I love you' in the sky was so lovable dammit. Shipping Kirito X Lizbeth the whole time.

When Liz finally makes the Dark Repulsor sword, she was about to confess her feelings to Kirito and of course Asuna appears. Even though I saw it coming, still felt so sad for Liz. Seems like all the girls Kirito meets, they are love him in the end. What a player... But man I really wanna see Lizbeth more in the future.
Aug 18, 2012 10:12 PM

Jul 2011
Jerrychiang said:
kamikaze_1996 said:

Screw that, he's like Roger Smith in Black O; lousy taste in fashion.

But it's appropriately bad taste in Kirito's case, and besides: his dour clothes help to frame Asuna's good looks as a frame does with a pretty picture.

i guess i am the only one the

to be honest, his pureblack attire reminds me of ichigo kurosaki in bankai and DtB hei

i think kirito and asuna's black and white contrast goes really well together

btw, it might just be me but isn't anyone bummed out that liz didn't get to confess, she confessed once but he didn't hear her and she tried confessing again but was interrupted by asuna, she was in love with him and even admitted it to herself while asuna is in denial, i just feel sorry for her and i like her for being considerate to asuna's feelings
Aug 18, 2012 10:14 PM

Oct 2008
Liked this episode, although Lizbeth turned her attitude towards Kirito 180 degrees I think a little too fast.
I can understand the feeling of gratitude from having someone else save your life, but she goes from hating him to loving him in the blink of an eye.

Asuna and Kirito, as usual, were awesome.

I hope we get to see Liz again though.
However, I just can't get into this series as much as I would have liked to. So far, it's basically been a series of short stories with only the main characters and the overall world being in common. I would love if there were a larger overarching story.
Aug 18, 2012 10:19 PM

Mar 2012
Omniknight said:

I hope we get to see Liz again though.
However, I just can't get into this series as much as I would have liked to. So far, it's basically been a series of short stories with only the main characters and the overall world being in common. I would love if there were a larger overarching story.

See, this is why you wouldn't drop this series before ep. 8...Because the overarching story that will come up starts on ep. 8. Trust me, you'll like it. There's a reason SAO is such a popular novel series. And if you don't, well, you've only wasted 8 episodes x 22 minutes of your life. Onto the next series, right?

Not to spoil anything, but yes, we will see Liz later. Hopefully.
Aug 18, 2012 10:20 PM

Aug 2012
tezann_t said:
kamikaze_1996 said:

I can see why people didn't like it because the anime doesn't spell things out. And just to be fair, there are some nuances the anime failed to capture (such as how Lizbeth was touched by Kirito's words).

AcezHarfianz said:

I beg to differ. You can't possibly throw this into two episodes without substantial BS fillers. Lizbeth was never supposed to be a major character.

I think the anime adaptation was fine all things considered.

Nevertheless, it's wrong to suggest that a story like this can't be done in 2 episodes.

When you look at anime like Monster, Gungrave, or the like, comparatively little is actually occurring relative to Swordart. Events are slow-played and is detailed and built up over time through atmosphere and character development. The key is simply the amount of raw material inherent within the characters' interactions with each other and their immersion in the atmosphere. That's why the LN is so much more compelling.

Gungrave, for example, had virtually no characterization at the start because it was based on a relatively shallow FPS game. Yet they imagined and filled in the story with excellent characterization and atmosphere. Of course, that took half the series to create.

Sword art already had a huge advantage over other anime by having a proven, ready-made characterization schematic to draw on. Much of it has, unfortunately, been squandered in an effort to fit too much into too little.

Imagine trying to fit Gungrave's Brad Wong & Cannon arc into a single episode. Yeah, that wouldn't work either.l And it's a miracle SAO is as watchable as it is - partially owing to its already built-in fanbase, partly because the original material is excellent no matter how dumbed down, and partly because the critics can't stand to be left out in the cold, especially when they see the fans eat this up.
Aug 18, 2012 10:22 PM

Nov 2008
Didn't seem to be a bad episode, but still every time I read a topic I want to read the novels... I will eventually pause reading Index to read this, I see that coming..
Aug 18, 2012 10:32 PM

Aug 2012
kamikaze_1996 said:

btw, it might just be me but isn't anyone bummed out that liz didn't get to confess, she confessed once but he didn't hear her and she tried confessing again but was interrupted by asuna, she was in love with him and even admitted it to herself while asuna is in denial, i just feel sorry for her and i like her for being considerate to asuna's feelings

Eh.

As I recall, that's exactly what happened in the LN. Part of the reason this didn't hit home as much - again - is because much of the characterization was skipped...the relationship didn't receive as much depth in the anime. So naturally the heart-break had less impact.

But yeah, I still love Lisbeth and kinda wished she gave Asuna a run for her money.

Others have mentioned that the dragon was in perfect sync with its surroundings; clean, threatening, and the action was believable. I have to admit that this episode was extremely well animated. Well rendered. I was worried that Lizbeth's freckles stood out too much at first, but they got touched up later especially in the close-ups. She looks just as I imagined.

Poor Kirito has to put up with Asuna the Ice Queen a little longer.
Aug 18, 2012 10:50 PM

Aug 2012
tezann_t said:

I was actually imagining how they would adapt the Lisbeth arc when they first announced the SAO anime.

One of my hopes was that they wouldn't be boxed in by the LN material, but would be willing to expound on some of the available "gaps"the author left open.

For example, the LN goes into the details of Lisbeth's progression as a Blacksmith; she didn't simply appear in SAO one day and become a "Master Blacksmith" the next. Expanding on this theme alone could have taken an entire episode, describing Lisbeth's motivations and loneliness, and foreshadowing the end of that loneliness at the end of such an episode...by meeting a black-clad stranger looking for a sword.

There are endless possibilities given the raw material. You don't have to take the original stuff and pretend that's all it can ever be.

Again, the minute I heard they were going to mash FOUR novels into 20 something episodes, I kinda lowered my expectations.
Aug 18, 2012 10:53 PM

May 2011
I liked this episode a lot, and Lizbeth is a great character. Those scenes where Lizbeth shows off her feelings to Kirito were all really nice to watch, like the holding hands one and the ones at the end.

Asuna only had a few moments this episode but those were all awesome. And I am looking forward to seeing the main plot start next episode.
Aug 18, 2012 10:55 PM

Feb 2012
IMO Only thing I felt this episode really needed was the part where Kirito was supposed to have told stories to Lizbeth about his adventures... I think it was a key point for her liking him.
Aug 18, 2012 10:57 PM

Nov 2008
mystik said:

Aug 18, 2012 11:26 PM

Mar 2012
Jerrychiang said:
tezann_t said:

I was actually imagining how they would adapt the Lisbeth arc when they first announced the SAO anime.

One of my hopes was that they wouldn't be boxed in by the LN material, but would be willing to expound on some of the available "gaps"the author left open.

For example, the LN goes into the details of Lisbeth's progression as a Blacksmith; she didn't simply appear in SAO one day and become a "Master Blacksmith" the next. Expanding on this theme alone could have taken an entire episode, describing Lisbeth's motivations and loneliness, and foreshadowing the end of that loneliness at the end of such an episode...by meeting a black-clad stranger looking for a sword.

There are endless possibilities given the raw material. You don't have to take the original stuff and pretend that's all it can ever be.

Again, the minute I heard they were going to mash FOUR novels into 20 something episodes, I kinda lowered my expectations.

I feel like I should at least have the courtesy of responding after you replied to the same post from me twice...

See, the issue is that while you might prefer that type of "go bold with original material" approach, it may not be felt by those who are fans of the novel. Personally, I would've liked to see them go more slowly and try to fill up the gaps too. Maybe they should just stick to the first arc with 25 episodes, I've thought before. So I agree with you in that respect. But you also have to kind of see that the fan base of this series may not sit well with that. Along the way of creating original content, they're going to rub some people in the wrong way. Not to mention the author wouldn't want the anime to get in the way of his writing if he plans to fill up some of these gaps himself.

Another point I was trying to say is, given the pacing of this series, it would make very little sense for them to all of a sudden devote 2 episodes to a single side story. Like I said, Lizbeth wasn't supposed to be a major character. That's a fact all LN readers can agree on. If I was the anime director, why would I feel compelled to give her 2x the screentime other characters are getting while taking out space that could've been reserved for Asuna? Only animating vol. 1-2 would mean SAO could take at least 4-5 seasons just to get to vol. 10. Of course they have to squeeze in more.
Aug 18, 2012 11:28 PM

Mar 2008
Another very good episode. So much hating going on with this show from people. Don't like it, drop it and move on.

I was surprised that Liz did not end up dead. It seems every episode Kirito's dead harem increases in size. Can't wait to see some dual wielding action, we'll probably get to see it next episode.

It's kind of a shame that Liz's sword didn't end up stronger than Kirito's original sword. It's slightly worse, lower in damage scale and all around stats.
Aug 18, 2012 11:30 PM

Mar 2012
razisgosu said:

[Deleted]

It's kind of a shame that Liz's sword didn't end up stronger than Kirito's original sword. It's slightly worse, lower in damage scale and all around stats.

Put up a spoiler tag, please.

Aug 18, 2012 11:33 PM
Jan 2012
seriously, of all the things to notice....the dragon looking 'stupid' was what got people's focus? It mustve been super-fantaburidiculoawesome in LNs

I thought this was good episode, better than the last 2, for sure....pacing wasnt as rushed and the development between liz x kirito was so great... argh....i want moar SAO
Aug 18, 2012 11:39 PM

Nov 2011
Sorry, the first post is a joke, lol it make me logged in and post this comment even though I rarely do this.

Seriously, who going to say this episode is quite good surely not read the light novel yet, the episode is so rushed, if only watch the anime you missed almost 90% of what going though Liz head, what she's thinking, her emotion development is is the most important since this episode is for Liz herself, not for Kirito, the anime drop all it and leave it as a souless-episode, I watched it only for some good CG and it only about it, nothing more, I grade this episode a bad scores =.=

This is an example how her feeling develop to Kirito, it's a lot more then this if you read the novel, in the anime it about 15 sec senseless talking.

Again, for who loving SAO and only watch this rushed anime, I strongly recommend you find the Light novel to read, you won't regret it, I burn all of it in 4 days, surely cant stop after you begin >.<, btw this episode is light novel Sword Art Online:Volume 2 Chapter 2 "Warmth of the Heart"
Sword Art Online:Volume 2 Chapter 2 "Warmth of the Heart"
Aug 18, 2012 11:44 PM
Oct 2010
LOL, this show is an excellent troll bait.
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Aug 18, 2012 11:53 PM

Nov 2009
Well it's just that even if it was adapted from a popular light novel, no one would guarantee the anime adaption will be successful as its origin.

As far as I concern, turning a novel into 25episode adaption is like gambling, most of the show nowadays are just last around 1season (~13episode), unless it's really popular and its dvd/bd sale is high enough before they decide to give it another season.

Let's hope that the sales will go smoothly so they can make another season and have more budget + time to invest on it.

Right now, as a light novel reader perspective I know that all those side story are rushed but please bear with it ^^, cause 25episode for an adaption is far more generous than I can imagine.

P/s: personally I think the anime did pretty well to make a lazy person like me reading its light novel. I won't regret watching it. If you want more character developments, read the novel. Meanwhile let's just think of the anime version as an entertained experience.
Takana_no_HanaAug 19, 2012 12:00 AM
Aug 18, 2012 11:55 PM

Jan 2012
Regicide said:
that cg dragon was so retarded
lizbeth smelted dragon shit into a sword
double tsundere
this show

This
Aug 18, 2012 11:56 PM

Jul 2010
Looking forward to the next episode.
Aug 19, 2012 12:03 AM

Mar 2008
tezann_t said:
razisgosu said:

[Deleted]

Put up a spoiler tag, please.

This is an episode discussion. It's quite obvious that when he asked for a second sword that is as good or better, he was going to dual wield. It's not hidden at all. Spoilers should not be needed for an episode discussion about events that happened in the episode.
Aug 19, 2012 12:06 AM

Apr 2011
mixordia said:
Dropped.

Also Dropped.
"I left everything I own in One Piece" ~ Gol D. Roger
Aug 19, 2012 12:09 AM

Aug 2010
That was horrible, absolutely horrible.
Aug 19, 2012 12:11 AM

Nov 2008
a fan of the Haruhi series drops this .. lulz

--------

@F0r3stGump its rather hard to adapt inner dialogue as its.. silent - not heard and the anime is a visual audio so the only way to do it is mostly body language / action with some spoken. I thought it was a fairly decent adaption.
Aug 19, 2012 12:15 AM

Jan 2009
good episode
Aug 19, 2012 12:18 AM

Aug 2012
tezann_t said:
Jerrychiang said:
tezann_t said:

I feel like I should at least have the courtesy of responding after you replied to the same post from me twice...

See, the issue is that while you might prefer that type of "go bold with original material" approach, it may not be felt by those who are fans of the novel. Personally, I would've liked to see them go more slowly and try to fill up the gaps too. Maybe they should just stick to the first arc with 25 episodes, I've thought before. So I agree with you in that respect. But you also have to kind of see that the fan base of this series may not sit well with that. Along the way of creating original content, they're going to rub some people in the wrong way. Not to mention the author wouldn't want the anime to get in the way of his writing if he plans to fill up some of these gaps himself.

I think you misunderstand.

I've never suggested that they should deviate from the original material. The idea is to "expound" by "filling in the gaps" left by the author.

For example: Lisbeth was not the only blacksmith in SAO. She obviously had competition as detailed in the LN. You can see in the anime that there's a picture of an older version of Lisbeth with some of her customers or fellow smiths. Again, the details are "described" in the LN already, all you have to do is give them names and a personality. You "expound" on this by the animating events that are only "described" in the LN and don't contemporaneously occur.

Another word for this is "texturalization". You're not really coming up with a truly "original" plot,character, or idea for that matter. You're simply adding color and shading to the originally drawn outline.

I'm also an LN reader. I'll bet that the above approach would have been much more preferable to the current anime which is an abbreviated and rote imitation. Not that this episode was bad, but if the directors had gone the extra mile in another direction? Believe me, many LN readers would have appreciated the effort compared to what we see now.

tezann_t said:
Another point I was trying to say is, given the pacing of this series, it would make very little sense for them to all of a sudden devote 2 episodes to a single side story. Like I said, Lizbeth wasn't supposed to be a major character. That's a fact all LN readers can agree on. If I was the anime director, why would I feel compelled to give her 2x the screentime other characters are getting while taking out space that could've been reserved for Asuna? Only animating vol. 1-2 would mean SAO could take at least 4-5 seasons just to get to vol. 10. Of course they have to squeeze in more.

Who said anything about devoting 2 episodes to Lisbeth NOW? My idea was formed BEFORE they announced that they were going to cram FOUR novels into a single 20+ episode series. It was meant for a series that I had hoped was done "properly" in the vein of Gungrave ie enormous texturalization and atmosphere with appropriate pacing to flesh out even teh side characters. Gungrave has far more side characters who - by all rights - should never have received anywhere near the characterization they got in the game -> anime conversion. But their lives [and their deaths] were profound events in spite of the fact that they weren't "Main characters".

That's what I HOPED for.

To restate my position:

The anime isn't bad.

OTOH, it's not nearly as good as it can be. LN readers could probably discuss ways to improve this all day.
JerrychiangAug 19, 2012 12:26 AM
Pages (16) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

72 by katnissmaezie »»
May 16, 1:05 AM

» What even is SAO anymore? ( 1 2 )

Jason-Skyrunner - Apr 27

53 by soli1239 »»
May 6, 8:27 PM

» We need a reboot

Superninjaboy2 - Mar 15

32 by Jason-Skyrunner »»
May 1, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 8, 2012

480 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2012

680 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 2:32 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.