Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (16) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Aug 18, 2012 5:33 PM

Jul 2009
This was a pretty good episode. The best thus far. It was not rushed, as it felt like it has good pacing. A lot of subtle messaging, which I just love (e.g. the earrings and how Liz came to the conclusion after seeing them). And for whatever reason, Asuna seems a lot more adorable this week.

5/5
Aug 18, 2012 5:44 PM

Jan 2008
Arqentum said:
I've got a question about SAO itemizing. (addressed to LN readers)

DR +0 is inferior to El. Assuming front line is level 60 (or even 70, everyone thinks that level 100 is the last anyway),
what is the purpose of making it?

Either drops from higher levels != better equipment
or
+1 ... n applied to a sword is really powerful? If so why not to ++ El?

Requesting clarification.

You kinda answered your own question in the spoiler about the purpose of making it.

I don't remember much to anything about enhancing for SAO but I do recall them saying special rare weapon drops usually have better stats. According to a quick google, Elucidator was dropped from the Lv 50 boss while as the Repulser is just a smith'd item. Obviously a unique boss weapon drop would be quite good, seeing as how he's still wearing that cloak as well from like... the first boss...

Gonna guess that "require" is either STR or Lv... if it's Lv, it can also back up my statement since higher level gear usually have high level stats.
Aug 18, 2012 6:03 PM

Aug 2011
I usually don't shit on episodes, but when I do, I really think they could have been made better.
I know it's about a person's opinion, but I would really like they cut the "emo/whining" crap just by a little... They should really get the plot moving! Even if they don't, they should at least extend the duration of fighting scenes or make the dialogues less shounen-cliche.

I still hope this anime will get epix as i expected it to be after watching the first 2 episodes
Aug 18, 2012 6:04 PM

Jun 2009
Paul said:

You kinda answered your own question in the spoiler about the purpose of making it.

I don't remember much to anything about enhancing for SAO but I do recall them saying special rare weapon drops usually have better stats. According to a quick google, Elucidator was dropped from the Lv 50 boss while as the Repulser is just a smith'd item. Obviously a unique boss weapon drop would be quite good, seeing as how he's still wearing that cloak as well from like... the first boss...

Gonna guess that "require" is either STR or Lv... if it's Lv, it can also back up my statement since higher level gear usually have high level stats.

Aug 18, 2012 6:09 PM

Jul 2011
Paul said:
Arqentum said:
I've got a question about SAO itemizing. (addressed to LN readers)

DR +0 is inferior to El. Assuming front line is level 60 (or even 70, everyone thinks that level 100 is the last anyway),
what is the purpose of making it?

Either drops from higher levels != better equipment
or
+1 ... n applied to a sword is really powerful? If so why not to ++ El?

Requesting clarification.

@arq, you practically answered your own question as to why he got an inferior sword in your spoiler

@paul he isn't wearing the coat of midnight anymore, he has upgraded his equipment to the best possible equipment and iirc his current coat was also player made by ashley, it would be really stupid if a boss drop from level 1 is still handy in the lvl 70s thats just too overpowered

the extremely rare demonic swords or rare monstor drops usually have superior stats to player made items but they can't be upgraded as much as playermade weapons and very good player made weapons like DR can essentially surpass them

so although its +0 atm, it can increase

the require is most likely the strength level to wield it as lisbets level was like 65 while kirito had probably exceeded 80, and even though she was 65ish she could barely wield elucidator which required only 61 which proves that its most likely the strength requirement

as in SAO you can only invest in stats such as STR or DEX when you level up
Aug 18, 2012 6:09 PM

Jan 2011
i liked this side story a lot even if it felt a bit short and i fucking love Liz! it's a shame Asuna is the female lead or i would had been rooting for her.

besides the CG dragon this was overall a pretty good episode it was nice to see everyone in there final armor as far as the OP goes hopefully if they reach max level they'll get something even better later on.
Aug 18, 2012 6:12 PM

Jan 2008
Arqentum said:
Paul said:

I'm honestly having no idea what your saying. I might be over-thinking, thinking to hard or misunderstanding something.
Aug 18, 2012 6:18 PM

Nov 2009
pretty decent episode, the most enjoyable episode so far for me, well despite some minor details have been cut out. They could make the beginning of lizbeth journey a little bit longer :P, oh well.

lizbeth brings freshness into the show, I like that.

@about asuna earrings: it isn't a gift from kirito(well at least the novel hasn't mentioned it), you can think of it as either an item to boost the owner's stats, or an item to make them more darling, which will be the case because when lizbeth looked at it, she knew that asuna has someone she likes.
Aug 18, 2012 6:24 PM

Mar 2012
Aww i hoped liz would join the harem:/ looks like kirito isn't going to end up with a harem
Aug 18, 2012 6:24 PM

Jul 2011
Arqentum said:

ok a bit spoilerish here as to why
Aug 18, 2012 6:25 PM

Jun 2012
Poor Liz got Asuna'd; I'm sure that must've hurt for all the Liz fans. She'll forever be in the friendzone.

The dragon could've looked a lot better (especially with all those still shots). I'll just assume they're saving their budget for later.

Kirito's new sword, the Dark Repulsor, looks pretty badass. Though, it's also amusing to realize it's made out of dragon crap.

For those that have read the LN, where did Asuna get her earrings? I don't recall Kirito giving her any. Is there any significance to it or did the anime just add that scene on a whim?
Aug 18, 2012 6:27 PM

Mar 2011
good ep, i do feel a bit sad for Liz though, but it's a good thing for Asuna. I'm also confused as to what the earrings mean, though it'll probably be explained next episode or something
Aug 18, 2012 6:30 PM

Jun 2009
kamikaze_1996 said:

Well. Now that makes sense. Thanks.
Aug 18, 2012 6:30 PM

Jul 2011
PirateKingz said:
Poor Liz got Asuna'd; I'm sure that must've hurt for all the Liz fans. She'll forever be in the friendzone.

The dragon could've looked a lot better (especially with all those still shots). I'll just assume they're saving their budget for later.

Kirito's new sword, the Dark Repulsor, looks pretty badass. Though, it's also amusing to realize it's made out of dragon crap.

For those that have read the LN, where did Asuna get her earrings? I don't recall Kirito giving her any. Is there any significance to it or did the anime just add that scene on a whim?

she was trying to dress well and be stylish for the person she was going to meet, liz noticed her earing and wondered the reason she left the frontline and wondered why she was polishing her equipment

she immediately figured out she wanted to look good for the person she is going to meet and most likely fancied him (womens intuition is scary i know)
Aug 18, 2012 6:31 PM
Apr 2011
Paul said:
Obviously a unique boss weapon drop would be quite good, seeing as how he's still wearing that cloak as well from like... the first boss...
His coat looks about the same because after getting that coat from the first boss, he found it brought him a small measure of fame (Hence, 'The Black Swordsman' in a world full of people who prolly fit that discription). Since he tried making himself known in the first place to take the heat from the former beta testers, he would aim to make himself known. But as was said, he's keeping his gear appropiately leveled while keeping the color scheme he set down in the first month.

As for why he wanted DR, discounting all the spoiler-related info, in a world like this, sword drops are probably quite rare (He used the Anneal Blade he got on the first floor for a while before upgrading) since a large number of people are wanting them. Thus, the best way to ensure an upgrade is to buy a player crafted sword (and sometimes player crafted gear is better than boss drops of equal level.). Couple that with the upgrade ability within SAO, a highly upgraded weapon can easily beat out boss-drops

Also,

Andyis said:
Aww i hoped liz would join the harem:/ looks like kirito isn't going to end up with a harem
This never was a harem. Even in the LN, it was never intended to be a harem
Aug 18, 2012 6:33 PM

Jul 2011
Arqentum said:
kamikaze_1996 said:

Well. Now that makes sense. Thanks.

no problem, it's more than likely to be mentioned later on in the anime
Aug 18, 2012 6:36 PM

Jul 2011
even the author mentions this wasn't intended to be a harem, he even deeply apologized for introducing too many female characters and said that he would get more males in
Aug 18, 2012 6:47 PM

Jul 2012
İ like that dragon. I don't why but fight scenes reminds me pokemon. I know sound like stupid but dragon attacks looks like an ice beam and gust...
Aug 18, 2012 6:57 PM

Jan 2012
They skipped out on

Guess they want to reveal it all in one go.
Aug 18, 2012 6:59 PM
Apr 2011
Chrischunn said:
They skipped out on

I'm glad they did. The volume 1 reveal was far better than this side story. All I'm sayin'. I would've been so pissed if they ruined the reveal in this episode xD
Aug 18, 2012 7:17 PM

Nov 2009
@kamikaze_1996: yo dude, I'm not trying to be rude but would u mind stop spoiling, even though u put it in spoiler tag but i see your name in every pages which make me really tired just to only read your post, TBH. I mean you can post whatever u want but plz stop posting it like spamming the whole thread. Lemme read other pp comments as well.

Takana_no_HanaAug 18, 2012 7:28 PM
Aug 18, 2012 7:23 PM

Jul 2008
Man, because a girl doesn't open her leg and is submissive to the MC doesn't make her a tsundere.
Lisbeth isn't a tsundere, neither is Asuna.

So with the episode title I guess we'll see "that" next episode, likely as a cliffhanger since the plot will finally start.
Aug 18, 2012 7:30 PM

Mar 2011
good episode as always a bit rushed but that's what to expect w/ the anime version
So not gonna complain

there's still a troll as always n ofc some haters though

Aug 18, 2012 7:32 PM

Mar 2012
Niyawa said:

tezann_t said:
I'm not sure if you've read the LN, but I think this is how they have to direct the series. They have three choices: 1) don't include the side stories, 2) put the side episodes later on just as the LN had, or 3) come up with some chronology with the author's blessing. The first route would've had the fans raging all over. The second route would've created a huge gap between the first and second arc and confused everyone. I know it makes no sense now, but I still believe people will see more sense of it once the series finished.

Well, yeah, I'm still on-hold on vol.1 so it was a just a guess, but your explanation makes more sense, thanks anyway.

Also, forgive me for going on about this, but I also want to point out that contrary to popular opinion, these side stories are introducing characters who will show up later (I don't think this spoils anything for anyone). At least I think the anime will be smart to have them show up at the right time. Otherwise they would have been introduced for nothing.

For better or for worse, the series won't just have Asuna and Kirito. In my opinion that's a good thing, although I can certainly see why people are kind of "wtf" at how little screentime each of these characters get. Trust me when I say it's not a failure of the anime alone. The LN also kind of relegates them into non-important roles.
Aug 18, 2012 7:34 PM

Aug 2012
Enjoyed the episode thoroughly, seeing that Liz is one of my favorite characters from the SAO arc.
Aug 18, 2012 7:35 PM

Oct 2011
This episode is a huge improvement over the previous week's. The pacing is much slower this time around, which is good considering most SAO episodes feel rushed. I haven't read very far into the novels but it seems that next week we will have the main storyline back (by main storyline I mean Volume 1 in the novels).

Aug 18, 2012 7:46 PM

Apr 2012
Chrischunn said:
They skipped out on

Oh so that means the main story will finally start now?
Looking forward to next week.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Aug 18, 2012 7:49 PM

Aug 2012
kamikaze_1996 said:
even the author mentions this wasn't intended to be a harem, he even deeply apologized for introducing too many female characters and said that he would get more males in

Point in fact, the original volume had a linear romantic plot involving a single heroine (Asuna) and Hero (Kirito).

It was only later that he introduced the female harem side characters. Of course, no Japanese anime would be complete without the rest of the female eye-candy, so he almost HAD to add them.

dashiawia said:
This episode is a huge improvement over the previous week's. The pacing is much slower this time around, which is good considering most SAO episodes feel rushed. I haven't read very far into the novels but it seems that next week we will have the main storyline back (by main storyline I mean Volume 1 in the novels).

I've watched it multiple times already so it meets my approval. Again, it was almost impossible to mess up this side-story considering its original quality in the LN. My only quibble is that the skip from Kirito falling -> lying down in sleeping bags was a little too sudden but that's minor.

I can definitely understand why they would skip Kirito's secret...for now.
Aug 18, 2012 7:49 PM

Nov 2009
main story will start from ep8, and after several episode there's gonna be another side story in between.
Aug 18, 2012 7:50 PM

Apr 2012
Vforvendetta said:
main story will start from ep8, and after several episode there's gonna be another side story in between.

That's good to hear. Though I hope the side story in between won't feel out of place.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Aug 18, 2012 7:54 PM
Jun 2012
Meh... 3/5. Plot still isn't really going anywhere though.
Aug 18, 2012 7:55 PM

Nov 2011
It was okay. Still waiting for that plot.....come on.....come on...
Aug 18, 2012 7:57 PM

Jul 2011
Vforvendetta said:
@kamikaze_1996: yo dude, I'm not trying to be rude but would u mind stop spoiling, even though u put it in spoiler tag but i see your name in every pages which make me really tired just to only read your post, TBH. I mean you can post whatever u want but plz stop posting it like spamming the whole thread. Lemme read other pp comments as well.

well sorry for trying to help other users with their questions <_< ive become quite the question answerer in this forum, its gotten to the point where people are actually messaging me with questions about SAO

also im not trying to spoil anything for anyone, spoilers tags exist for a reason so i use it if i need to and i actually avoid using spoilers unless i have to refer to the LN to discuss something or answer a question and its not like im actually harming anyone, unlike the inconsiderate ones who openly discuss the content in the LN as they please

also im not trying to spam the whole thread, i just like discussing things, i don't see how my comments are stopping you from reading other peoples comments -__-
Aug 18, 2012 8:04 PM

Nov 2009
example of the last page:

make sense? next time use the edit button ... 2 comments from you covered all of my laptop screen with quotations and signatures, make it into 1 post.
and about those spoiling question, its the opposite, u aren't actually helping them but instead killing the fun from them.
Takana_no_HanaAug 18, 2012 8:10 PM
Aug 18, 2012 8:07 PM

Feb 2008
This was awful. The way they go from strangers to holding hands and confessing their love only 10 minutes in was ridiculous. It makes no sense and there's no room or reason for the viewer to give a crap about the girl and her feelings, and it's just as much a fault of the writer for trying to exploit the audience into feeling cheap emotions just because the girl cries with dramatic music playing. These romantic scenes were downright awful and all the cliched dialogue felt like something stolen directly from other shows. Heck, I predicted the confession while they were falling together before it even happened. Using the 'stuck in a cave and falling in love' cliche was bad enough as it is but they really just threw in every convention they possibly could since it seems the writer lacks the ability to do something even marginally interesting or unique. If you can't write, just steal from other anime, I suppose. It's a flawless plan.

And, sadly, Kajiura's talent went to waste here with the horrible application of the tracks. All it achieved in doing was making each scene overdramatic and needlessly campy.

Didn't make much sense how Kirito survived after falling from that height either when he lost half health from a much smaller fall earlier. Also, it's very convenient how they somehow couldn't teleport outside of the cave when it works everywhere else in the game world. Kirito also completely changed his goals yet again at the ending just so he could appear romantic for the nth addition to his worthless harem. Funny too, how Lisbeth completely gives up on her love right after seeing Asuna and Kirito interact for a short moment, despite everything she was feeling towards Kirito previously.

I guess this episode was good as a comedy, if nothing else.
Aug 18, 2012 8:25 PM

Jul 2011
Vforvendetta said:
example of the last page:

make sense? next time use the edit button ...
and about those spoiling question, its the opposite, u aren't actually helping them but instead killing the fun from them.

i have no idea how that is even spoilerish when only people who opened the spoiler tag would understand what the heck i was talking about so i deemed it unnecessary to tag it

unless you talking about the authors comment, but thats an entirely different thing and its not spoilerish for those who have finished watching these sidestories and already know about silica and liz

i don't think im killing the fun for them when they are the ones asking, especially since i warn them beforehand of spoilers, whether they read it or not is up to them and even then i don't go into full detail that would spoil all the fun of the future episodes

hell, im even being thanked for doing this, if you want to complain about spoilers, then complain to the ones who are actually giving away clues

EDIT: ugh, once the reason for the double post is because people post while im typing, you yourself just edited you comment while i was typing, its not like i want to spam comments and cover the screen with my sig

and my point still stands, why don't you just ignore my posts, it shouldn't also stop you from reading other comments, im not even its not like its harming anyone and its not like im attacking anyone
ZeroKamikazeAug 18, 2012 8:36 PM
Aug 18, 2012 8:26 PM

May 2008
Kirito X Liz !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I always wanted a gf that can make me a sword ~

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Aug 18, 2012 8:26 PM

Jul 2012
Goddammit, Kirito, stop leading on every single girl! =.= Is he so dense to the girl's feelings? LOL

Ohey, next week is episode 8 which people said will be the main plot? I'm excited.
Aug 18, 2012 8:28 PM

Jul 2012
this is a really good example of how a quest styled episode without the romantic sub plot would be boring. I liked the Liz she was sweet and it was really sad that she could not have what she wants. Still enjoying sao a fair bit.
Aug 18, 2012 8:29 PM

Nov 2011
Veronin said:
This was awful. The way they go from strangers to holding hands and confessing their love only 10 minutes in was ridiculous. It makes no sense and there's no room or reason for the viewer to give a crap about the girl and her feelings, and it's just as much a fault of the writer for trying to exploit the audience into feeling cheap emotions just because the girl cries with dramatic music playing. These romantic scenes were downright awful and all the cliched dialogue felt like something stolen directly from other shows. Heck, I predicted the confession while they were falling together before it even happened. Using the 'stuck in a cave and falling in love' cliche was bad enough as it is but they really just threw in every convention they possibly could since it seems the writer lacks the ability to do something even marginally interesting or unique. If you can't write, just steal from other anime, I suppose. It's a flawless plan.

And, sadly, Kajiura's talent went to waste here with the horrible application of the tracks. All it achieved in doing was making each scene overdramatic and needlessly campy.

Didn't make much sense how Kirito survived after falling from that height either when he lost half health from a much smaller fall earlier. Also, it's very convenient how they somehow couldn't teleport outside of the cave when it works everywhere else in the game world. Kirito also completely changed his goals yet again at the ending just so he could appear romantic for the nth addition to his worthless harem. Funny too, how Lisbeth completely gives up on her love right after seeing Asuna and Kirito interact for a short moment, despite everything she was feeling towards Kirito previously.

I loled. So much rage. Yet it is so, so true.
Aug 18, 2012 8:34 PM

Mar 2011
Veronin said:

I guess you can say that 10 minutes is not enough. But, please consider that an anime is anime, things that's unrealistic can happen. like hell they should just waste more time or episodes just to tell how Kirito and Liz relationship developed just from the time they spent at the dragon nest.... But, I also felt that the emotion that they were trying to make are not perfectly delivered, yeah it was a bit forced.

The soundtracks are better than the last few epsiodes imo, at least this episode soundtracks did caught my attention. Although I'm not a fan of Yuki Kajiura, her tracks are great but usually forgettable.

And the teleportation thing, it's just how a MMORPG game works. I'm sure it has some limitation.
Lisbeth is Asuna's friend, so she really understand what is going between Kirito and Asuna and don't you think Liz will not feel terrible If she took Kirito who Asuna (Liz's friend) likes?

And the word cliche is overused....
There are almost no anime that aren't cliche these days
Aug 18, 2012 8:35 PM

Aug 2012
kamikaze_1996 said:
Vforvendetta said:

well sorry for trying to help other users with their questions <_< ive become quite the question answerer in this forum, its gotten to the point where people are actually messaging me with questions about SAO

Well, here's a question I'd like to have answered: Your new avatar looks great but where did you find it? Don't worry, I'm not going to use it, I'd just like to get a copy.
Aug 18, 2012 8:38 PM

Nov 2009
@kamikaze: dude its not about spoilers that I complained when showing you the picture, but it's about your double post covered most of my laptop screen.

And for those who like to spoil, I'm not saying anything else, as a novel reader, I only explain things up to the current episode, or unclear thing which wasn't mentioned in the anime.

@Jerrychiang: it's Sinon in vol 5,6 GGO
http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=File:Sword_Art_Online_Vol_06_-001.jpeg
http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=File:Sword_Art_Online_Vol_05_-001.jpeg

P/s: I did ignore your posts, its just that I have to scroll down more cause your posts seem to appear in every pages.
Takana_no_HanaAug 18, 2012 8:42 PM
Aug 18, 2012 8:41 PM

Aug 2012
Vforvendetta said:
@kamikaze: dude its not about spoilers that I complained when showing you the picture, but it's about your double post covered most of my laptop screen.

And for those who like to spoil, I'm not saying anything else, as a novel reader, I only explain things up to the current episode, or unclear thing which wasn't mentioned in the anime.

@Jerrychiang: it's Sinon in vol 5,6 GGO
http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=File:Sword_Art_Online_Vol_06_-001.jpeg
http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=File:Sword_Art_Online_Vol_05_-001.jpeg

Ahhh, the illustrations.

Thanks!
Aug 18, 2012 8:44 PM

Jul 2011
^ urm, you know who my avatar is right? it was the Cover on a book in bakatsuki's forum, i forgot which one, the avatar itself was cut out from the cover and edited by me, i don't think there will be other copies like mine anywhere else unfortunately
Aug 18, 2012 8:44 PM

Jul 2011
Good episode, but the next seems to be even better!

I always watch SAO in 1080p and the CG looked good for me.
Aug 18, 2012 8:45 PM

Mar 2012
Spends one night with a guy on a game. Confess your love next day. Girls these days...
Aug 18, 2012 8:46 PM

Nov 2008
By the looks of it, Kirito will be giving that sword to Asuna....cause it looks the same as the one at the end of the opening...how sweet of him.
I am a sucker for romance!!!!
]

Aug 18, 2012 8:47 PM

Feb 2012
Kissed said:
Spends one night with a guy on a game. Confess your love next day. Girls these days...

I know what you mean... but it wasn't really supposed to be so quick like that...

The anime adaptation is the one to be blamed...

@TPAM
I don't wanna spoil...but...no.
Aug 18, 2012 8:51 PM

Dec 2010
Question!
How much relevance to these side stories have to the main story?
Pages (16) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

72 by katnissmaezie »»
Today, 1:05 AM

» What even is SAO anymore? ( 1 2 )

Jason-Skyrunner - Apr 27

53 by soli1239 »»
May 6, 8:27 PM

» We need a reboot

Superninjaboy2 - Mar 15

32 by Jason-Skyrunner »»
May 1, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 8, 2012

480 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2012

680 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 2:32 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.